Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,705 | Hads: 5,004
3.23/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I do enjoy a stout to end my trip at the pub, but this was a bit disappointing.
I would have liked a heaver body to this beer. What I was served was a bit warmer (near british standards) with a creamy off white head. It's first sip was the expected flavor of over roasted, bitter malts. Nice nose of chocolate and coffee and a bit of caramel. It's mouthfeel was weak and thin, almost too thin. I could have been drinking a black lager. I was expecting something with a bit of weight and cling to your teeth stability, but alas, i received a quick entry/quick finish beer.

I'll definitely try it again when it's available on tap, and if I see it in a store I'll buy a sixer. I have hope for this beer and look forward to my next pint.

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into an over-sized wine glass.

A- Oily black/opaque. Pours with a thin brown head, which fades rapidly, leaving a thin, filmy covering. Ample lacing noted.

S- Alcohol bite, chocolate, coffee, indiscernible dark fruitiness, and a bit of molasses.

T- Fleeting hints of coffee and chocolate, quickly obscured and diminished by the biting alcohol presence. No experience with this, but perhaps one that might do well aged?

M- Fairly thick with fairly low carbonation

D- Not more than one as a slow sipper on a lazy evening. ABV is too high and too pronounced to consider more.

Future outlook: Might get again to sock away for a long time....

3.25/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm a fan of the variants but for some reason I just didn't enjoy this one much. Harsh bitterness and somewhat thin mouthfeel. Pretty hoppy for a stout as well

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a dark coffee head.

Smell: Bitter old coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, blackstrap molasses

Taste: Starts out with chocolate, tobacco, & coffee, but finishes with harsh bitter hops and the taste of old coffee grinds.

Mouthfeel: Excellent think mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Never again. Over-hopped and over-hyped. No balance.

3.26/5  rDev -22.7%

Syrupy black with a thin but extremely persistent head and generous lace. Smells strongly of citrus hops with an undercoat of sweet malt. The mouth is immediately hit with a huge rush of grapefruit hops, followed by a slow build-up of sweet toasted malts. Taste buds are quickly overwhelmed by a stingingly bitter hop finish and lots of piney resins. Viscous and chewy mouth-feel.

Impressive looking, but finally under-whelming and overrated in my opinion. The malts are strong, but no match for the incredible overdose of cascade hops. Simplistic, unbalanced, and unsatisfying. The oak-aged version is much more mellow and textured.

3.26/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Formed a dense single finger head the color of a dark mocha drink. Slow dissipation leaving behind lots of frothy lace. The body is about as dark a possible...you cannot force light through this.

The nose has chocolate, molasses and caramel up front. Deeply roasted malts are undertones on a meaty backbone.

Flavors come at you in waves. You are hit right up front with a hoppy burst. This calms down to some of the roasted malts and caramel flavors. Then, boom, hops again at the end. Bitter finish with a slightly warming alcohol bite. The hops are not in balance...

Mouth feel is medium to thick, semi astringent with very light carbonation.

Drinkable, but I could not handle more than one per setting.

3.26/5  rDev -22.7%

1 pt. 6 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.
Bottled on 11/23/2009.

A: Holy cow, did this pour thick. Felt like molasses slipping out of the bottle. Super dark, almost completely opaque with frothy dark caramel head. Ridiculous retention every sip of the way.

S: Strong roasted malts with a little dark chocolate. Some toffee notes.

T: Crazy roasted malt taste. Really strong stuff. Bitter aftertaste that you can't shake off your tongue.

M: Really thick, almost syrupy. Coats your tongue and keeps the bitterness there whether you want it to or not.

D: Looks amazing. Smells great. Taste completely destroyed my palate. I love Imperial Stouts but I feel like I'd only get the bitterness off my tongue with a scraper.

Always willing to give beers another try so maybe I'll change my mind at the end of the bottle. Hoping the other variations of the Yeti are better.

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

When poured, the head was small, light brown with fine-large sized bubbles that completely diminished. The body of this beer was opaque and uncarbonated with a black hue. The nose was that of chocolate and roasted coffee with a chocolate and coffee taste to it. The mouthfeel was smooth and full bodied. This beer had a fair amount of lacing to it.

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 22 oz glass into a beeradvocate recommended pint glass.

About a finger-tip length of dark foamy, head... almost at points appearing a dark cherry in hues. Medium-sized to large bubbles that never fully diminish.

Sky black, thick dark fondue chocolate in appearance... Feels like it's completely engulfing the glass, and becoming its own entity as I let it warm...

Aromas of lots of roasted malt. Some notes of black licorice, bourbon vanilla and beachwood as the brew warms.

Surprising amount of citrus hop in first sips, which was completely unexpected. Expresso bitterness in between sips. Spices started loading up as the beer warmed, and gained subtle notes of a sort of smooth chocolate vodka / liquor (Black Russian?)... Accidently sent some of this brew down the wrong tube though, and the IBU's and alcohol were quite apparent.

Smooth mouthfeel, a little more carbonation than compared with a Guiness. Slight tingle with every sip when cold.

Wanted very much to enjoy this beer more than I did. But I feel like I've had better stouts. Maybe the 72% cacao w/ expresso nibs chocolate bar I accompanied withh the brew wasn't the right choice (too sweet)? Or I was just thinking about the review too much... All in all, maybe I just need to try and enjoy this beer more than once.

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

It pours out dark and black with a dark tan head. The head is pretty thick, and there's some decent retention, maybe a little lacing. The look is on par. The smell was my favorite part. You get loads of roasted malts first. Then there's a bit of alcohol backed by this molasses sweetness. It really makes me exited to taste the beer. I've ad this twice, once fresh, and one was kept for a few months before consuming. I remember the fresh one being very harsh. The other was decent, but nothing to rave about. There were really two main flavors for me - A bit of fruity alcohol and quite a bit of the roasted barley taste. You could describe both of them in different ways, but that's mainly what you're hitting on. I didn't notice much sweetness, and I don't prefer these to be overly sweet, but naturally it seems that having loads of malt, particularly darker malts, is going to lend plenty of unfermentable sugar. As you drink it, you get a decent amount of carbonation, and there's a bit of harshness that mellows after the first taste. This one, in terms of drinkability is about average for an imperial stout, it was a long, long drink for me, and I would recommend it to someone looking for something new, but I probably won't buy this again (though I may try to oak aged one, I don't know how much different it will be).

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

On tap at Blue Palms. Poured into a snifter.

One inch rocky dark beige head that stays and astays. Sits atop a pitch black body. Lacing just coates the glass, and the retention is exceptional. Really pretty.

Nose is kinda hop dominated. Pine and earth. Some roast notes and just the slightest hint of bakers chocolate and malted milk balls. Has some milk/sweet stout notes.

The taste is really roasty, almost smokey. Baker's chocolate. Not really sweet at all. Really earthy and some piney hops. A smoke and slightly piney flavor lingers. The malted milk balls scent I got in the nose seems more like oxidation in the taste.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and super creamy, full bodied and slightly sticky/coating. Just spot on.

Overall quite good. The earthiness is a little much and there seems like there's some oxidation. A bit more sweetness would be welcomed.

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

This was bottled on July 30, 2012. It’s been sitting around for 10 months.

The beer is a wonderful pitch black with a light tan head

The aroma has a bit of dark fruit, which is different for a stout. Then there’s big roast, chocolate, a bit of caramel sweetness, burnt sugar. There’s a bit of booze in there too, despite the aging.

The flavor follows with the roast and bitter chocolate.

However, the finish has this strange flavor behind it. It’s a huge amount of bitterness, but instead of grapefruit bitterness like IPAs, it’s a chalkiness. My friend related it to licking an envelope. The bitterness and strange metallic flavor really stands out instead of the smoothness. Sitting at 75 IBUs, this is quite bitter as the sweet malt does not counterbalance it much.

I’ve had the Oak Aged, Chocolate OA, and Espresso OA Yetis. This isn’t far from it. For me, Oak Aged and Chocolate hid that strange bitterness on the end much better than this or Espresso. The bitterness stands out in this and sort of messes up the beer for me. Not my kind of beer. It’s not poorly made, but not really for me.

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

I tried this during a RIS sampling evening at my house. My overall impression was that this was terribly over-hopped to the point that it tasted more like an IPA than an impy stout. Reminiscent of Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale. And compared to the other RIS's we tasted, this was my least favorite.

A: very dark, decent head and lacing
S: quite hoppy, some roasted and smoky overtones
t: much too hoppy for my tastes. while I expect there to be some roasted and hop bitterness, this was just not balanced well enough for my tastes.
M: Thick, but too much lingering hop bitterness
D: With so many other RIS choices, I wouldn't spend the $$ on this again.

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

Serving Type Sampled: Out of a 22oz. crown top brown bottle at the Pump House in Longmont CO.

Appearance: Pours black with crimson hue. Very nice 2 finger mocha head that last throughout.

Smell: Bourbon, banana, vanilla and alcohol.

Taste: This is another complex extreme beer. The huge malt is rather apparent fight up front. There is a residual sweetness that is kind of cloying. There is a huge bourbon taste as a result from the oak aging. The hops are subtle but never the less still tasty.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, light carbonation.

Drinkability: Poor, I really found this to be a great beer however I could only enjoy it in small pours, maybe 4-5oz. at a time.

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

In the glass it was black, not dark brown, full blown black. When I held it to the light I still could not determine it's clarity or lack thereof.
If you were to take 8 ounces of milk and add 4 heaping tablespoons of Nestle's Quik powder that would be close to the color of this dense mousse-like head.
Lace was indulgently thick and sticky.

Smell was dark toasty malts, chocolate milk (Whopper Malted Milk Balls), sweet dark fruits. The reported 75 IBUs and the alcohol were well hidden.

Taste is charred sweet dark fruits, bitter coffee beans and warming alcohol. Perfumy, bitter, lingering aftertaste.

Medium-heavy bodied. Creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Looked incredible, smelled like heaven on earth. I just really had trouble getting past the heavily perfumed after-taste. I could not drink this regularly. Sorry guys.

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

Served from bottle in standard pint glass.

Poured pitch black, with a small tan/brown head that dissipated pretty quickly.

Aroma seems very chocolatey, with notes of coffee mixed in with dark roasted malts.

Taste is of dark roasted malts, slightly sweet, leaning more towards a burnt malt flavor in the finish, accompanied by a slight hop bitterness.

Smooth, slick mouthfeel....coats as it goes down. Medium to full bodied...maybe a little too burnt for my taste...so, for me it's probably the type of beer that is limited to one in a sitting.

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a very impressive black with a cascade of dark brown bubbles. Awesome head. I found myself watching the head settle. Again, awesome.

Smell is burnt, coffee, a hint of chocolate. Taste is a let down. Alcohol dominates the palate. Medium body, coffee and black grains but alcohol and more alcohol dominate. I could not get past it.

I may get it again just to watch it settle, but the alcohol is not well hidden. 9.5% i'll give it a break, but alcohol... man...

3.37/5  rDev -20.1%

Wow! This was a meal for me. I honestly shouldn't have eaten anything before drinking this beer because it filled me up considerably. I should have known it was filling by the pour, which was almost like a melted chocolate. Considering how much this beer tastes like coffee and chocolate (and some toffee) I'm surprised it's not yet available at Starbucks. With all that being said, this is kind of a tossup for me, somewhat of a hophead. I did enjoy the taste, but it became more and more difficult to drink the more I had. Wouldn't get it again, but I wouldn't turn down a free one either.

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

A bit of hops at the beginning with bit of bitterness. Earthy. Sharp roast acidyaftertaste. Malt, bark. Full body.
What's the fuss? Did I cellar it for too long at weeks? Its 9.5% and 2003 after all, and was cellared at the store. Was actually better late that eveing when it lost a bit of carbonation.

OK beer but not a great imperial stout.
like the bottle.

3.39/5  rDev -19.7%

botled on Aug 10 2009, poured form 12floz bottle into maudite snifter.

A - this is an incredible looking stout, I can find no flaw. just be sure to pour very gently, it makes a lot of foam. right now I have a full 3 fingers. the body is pitch black, no light getting in anywhere anyhow. the head is made of tiny bubbles, that retain insanely well. the top of the head is this glossed over, smooth creamy foam, and in the center are the bigger bubbles--kind of the same way a pancake cooks on a griddle. A perfect looking stout? Well, it meets all my criteria, and it looks good, so I'd say yes! let me reiterate how well that head retains: several minutes into the review, it is still just as high. finally, 16 minutes into the review the head has come down.

S - this actually smells a bit more hoppy than malty, huh. there are definitely malts there, just the floral freshness of the hops take priority on the senses. but the malts arent all that noticeable, save a slightly earthy chocolate-ness. I'm a bit dissapointed here.

T - not bad. not a knock out either. the initial taste is primarily malty, real big on the roasted malts. a tad sweet, but nothing too much. there is a certain mustiness, maybe it is the yeast. the hops are still quite noticeable, not just their bitterness, however. this is not much to my liking, but hey, its not my brewery. the finish has a distinctive anise and alcohol flavour, and the persistent hoppy-ness. the aftertaste is much more like a stout: bitter, slightly sweet, roasted. this brew isnt much of an ris, its far too hoppy and is more of a simple bitterness than anything else. it tastes pretty good, but not especially great. with all them hops, it sure was easy to mask the alcohol.

MF&D - a good heavy body with medium intense carbonation. the body feels pretty good, but the drinkability will suffer along with the taste

3.39/5  rDev -19.7%

I feel bad giving this beer such a low score. But as an objective BA it is my duty to call it like I see it. We'll start from the top ...
Pour is almost perfect. Nice brown colored inch thick head... check.
Midnight hued body .... check.
Lacing ... errm ... kind of?
Had there been lacing this would have been a solid 5.
Nose is full of grapefruit and pine. Are you kidding me? In a stout? I want to smell coffee or molasses or chocolate ... but the hops dominate. Don't get me wrong, I am a hop devotee, but I do not want them to dominate in a stout.
Taste is like a stout styled double IPA. I hate to say it, but I do not want hops up front, in the middle and in the finish when it comes to a no nonsense stout. I taste grapefruit, chocolate, pine, and then a bit of coffee. It tastes good, but not what I want from a stout. Surely this is too young to sell fresh. But at the price this should be aged by GD before it hits the market. Help a brother out.
Mouth is very good. Nice and creamy.
Nope, no desire to buy this again when I need a stout fix. There are far better stouts on the market, many of them far cheaper. Great Divide, you're a kick ass brewery but you dropped the ball here.

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%

Impressive looking beer. Deep, deep brown, almost black appearance with a tannic laced head. Heavy chocolate and toffee whiffs along with a pretty serious alcohol parfait. Very hoppy and very bitter, unfortunately they do not balance out the strong coffee and chocolate flavors. Way too heavy of a beer, too strong in the alcohol department, too heavy in the stomach, I am not sure when or what you could eat when drinking this beer. This is a well crafted beer that from its rating definitely has some fans, I'm not one of them.

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%

Had this at a tasting held by the esteemed DVelcich. Between him and StoutFest, we had some crazy good beers. This is reviewed from notes.

This poured very dark, almost black. The head was tannish white with almost a greyness to it. The lace was present, but unimpressive.

Smells like any imp stout should smell... Big roasty chocolate notes with coffee kicking the back end. This actually seems to have a much hoppier presence than I remember this beer having, and in checking the bottled on date we find it isn't even a month old yet.

Taste hits just like nose, bitter chocolate, like baking cocoa, and some coffee notes that taste slightly unfresh. I also pick up a little bit of soy sauce, which is quite off-putting. It actually really hurts the taste in my opinion, because after 2 sips when I narrowed in that soy sauce flavor, it has become all I can focus on. Very tough to pick up on the other nuances of the beer when all I can think about is how much I hate soy sauce. If it wasn't in there, then this could be much higher in taste and in drinkability. I just can't see myself drinking this one very much. The mouthfeel is spot on, with great carbonation and a nice full thick robust body.

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

the great divide imperial stout is a good cold weather drink. the taste is ripe with chocolate barley which gives this beer a great blackened flavor. strong bitterness and a hearty aroma come through. on top of the great flovor, there is a yeti on the label- which really goes well with the taste and strength of this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -19.2%

Easy to come by and very cheap in the Chicago-land area. I heard lots of good things about this when I first started BA, and have slowly drank my way through the four pack. I decided on the last 12 ounce bottle, poured into my lovely brandy snifter, I would post a review. It was bottled on March 18th 2010.

With a normal, gentle pour I generate absolutely no head from this beer. About three-fourths of the way through it I give it a few violent shakes and allow that to generate the half-finger of delightful head. It ranges the gamut from cappuccino to generic chocolate bar. I was enjoying myself quite profusely when most of the head dissipated to a tomato soup skin consistency within two minutes time. The Victorian era curtain lacing on the side betrays the nature of the body.

Not even light from my mini-mag light penetrates the backwoods darkness coloration. Black upon black upon inky black. It is a breeze-less night within the liquid, not a single bubble of carbonation can be found.

Roasty, bitter, burnt, malts. The roasted wanderer peeking its head out of the forest with no one to join him but his burnt out friend. They seem to have a crisp hint of a breeze swirling around their ankles... brings to mind sterile rooms and medicine. I can't help but want someone else to improve what little company he provides me.

Flavor Profile
The first tentative sips yield an explosion of roasted grains mingled with burnt notes. It doesn't last long because the chocolate notes spring to life. From our intrepid explorers pockets I am pelted with chocolate once more! Its a sneaky candybar. At first it looks like milk chocolate and tastes like it, but oh no! This bad boy has a core of dark bitter chocolate with pin needle pockets of pure alcohol.

Even though it is a sub-10% brew, I can tell from the very first sips its barely under that mark. Hell, my face alone can tell fairly quickly that this is a high alcoholic content beer.

I search and search for the supposed caramel and toffee notes, but they are missing on too many sips. Sure, I can feel them tickle my buds every fifth sip. However, that is not enough for me to even give them strong credit. If I had to describe this beer in similar terms as before it would be quite easy.

I have a hitch hiking gentleman who is wearing a jacket three times his size of roasted almost burnt grains, with a skin tight shirt of delicious smooth chocolate, an undershirt of pungent bitter chocolates, a body spray of alcohol, and a toffee necklace. Sure you can see some of these things, but they are dwarfed by that ridiculous jacket.

Oral Sensations
The lack of carbonation is now noted in two locations. This is not a bad thing. I actually think that to add any more carbonation to this brew would destroy the balance it has found within itself. here is so little carbon dioxide floating in this that it goes down relatively smooth with the barest of tickles upon my palate.

The liquid has a presence to itself, an attitude if you will. It swirls throughout my mouth and latches onto locations like algae to a creek bed. If you couldn't tell how full this was going to feel from the lacing that still exists on the rims of my snifter, well... I'd be left speechless, to be frank. It has a faint stickiness that mimics the most humid of summer days around my lips and inner cavity.

The 9.5% alcohol is no joke. I can feel it within the first few sips. It initially was dangerous, but like all scary concepts revisited over and over it lost the appeal. It began to drag at me and resent it.

The flavors, though complex when aggressively researched, are for the most part disappointing. If I could enjoy everything in every sip, it would have been a great beer. For this alone I can only feel it out as a good beer. Even the nose was on the whole a overly simplistic presence. Good for trying, not my top choice for this style.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company