Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- black with a nice mocha head that lingers a bit.

Smell- roasty with little chocolate notes. Also a wood smell is at the end.

Taste- big and malty, roasty oak, toffee. Excellent hop taste great big flavor

Mouthfeel-starts very smooth on the tongue and leaves with a slight carbonation.

Drinkability- very drinkable. Great character and various tastes. I want more of this..

I found this bottle at granite liquors in weymouth with a bottled date of april 22, 2009. So good

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours pitch black with a ton of beautiful red highlights. A thick frothy one inch dark caramel color head (with hints of pink) majestically crowns the beer. Smells of deep roasted malts, dark chocolate, and dark fruits dominate the nose. Heavy, thick lacing covers the inside of the glass like a 1970's shag carpet. First sip is burnt malts, tobacco, and dark chocolate. The bitterness is from start to finish. Mouthfeel is super creamy milkshake like adding to a wonderful experience. World Class.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottled 11-23-09

Poured inky black with a big, creamy brown head.

Aromas of burnt cookies, gentle roast, coffee, and a pleasant, piney hoppiness.

Thick and robust with lots of roasty, bitter chocolate, wood, the alcohol is present but doesn't dominate, and the finish and dry and very bitter from the massive hop character. Classy, right along with the entire Yeti series.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz Bottle . A very dark black pour with a huge lasting faomy brown head , leaving sheeting and lace all down the glass , good amount of carbonation . Aroma is big and roasty , sweet caramel, toffee , rasins , char , nuts , and some spicy hops ( nice) . Flavor is huge roastyness , quite sweet , lots of dark caramel , bitter coffee and dark chocolate, and tea ,a nice level of bitterness in the roast and with the noticable hops . Creamy mouthfeel , full body , long roasty sweet finish with a hint of alcohol in the tail end , very drinkable , i could not put it down and drained the bomber quite quickly . This was very good in every aspect , top notch Stout for sure .

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

When poured, the head was small, light brown with fine-large sized bubbles that completely diminished. The body of this beer was opaque and uncarbonated with a black hue. The nose was that of chocolate and roasted coffee with a chocolate and coffee taste to it. The mouthfeel was smooth and full bodied. This beer had a fair amount of lacing to it.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

3.41/5  rDev -19%

Easy to come by and very cheap in the Chicago-land area. I heard lots of good things about this when I first started BA, and have slowly drank my way through the four pack. I decided on the last 12 ounce bottle, poured into my lovely brandy snifter, I would post a review. It was bottled on March 18th 2010.

Vision
With a normal, gentle pour I generate absolutely no head from this beer. About three-fourths of the way through it I give it a few violent shakes and allow that to generate the half-finger of delightful head. It ranges the gamut from cappuccino to generic chocolate bar. I was enjoying myself quite profusely when most of the head dissipated to a tomato soup skin consistency within two minutes time. The Victorian era curtain lacing on the side betrays the nature of the body.

Not even light from my mini-mag light penetrates the backwoods darkness coloration. Black upon black upon inky black. It is a breeze-less night within the liquid, not a single bubble of carbonation can be found.

Bouquet
Roasty, bitter, burnt, malts. The roasted wanderer peeking its head out of the forest with no one to join him but his burnt out friend. They seem to have a crisp hint of a breeze swirling around their ankles... brings to mind sterile rooms and medicine. I can't help but want someone else to improve what little company he provides me.

Flavor Profile
The first tentative sips yield an explosion of roasted grains mingled with burnt notes. It doesn't last long because the chocolate notes spring to life. From our intrepid explorers pockets I am pelted with chocolate once more! Its a sneaky candybar. At first it looks like milk chocolate and tastes like it, but oh no! This bad boy has a core of dark bitter chocolate with pin needle pockets of pure alcohol.

Even though it is a sub-10% brew, I can tell from the very first sips its barely under that mark. Hell, my face alone can tell fairly quickly that this is a high alcoholic content beer.

I search and search for the supposed caramel and toffee notes, but they are missing on too many sips. Sure, I can feel them tickle my buds every fifth sip. However, that is not enough for me to even give them strong credit. If I had to describe this beer in similar terms as before it would be quite easy.

I have a hitch hiking gentleman who is wearing a jacket three times his size of roasted almost burnt grains, with a skin tight shirt of delicious smooth chocolate, an undershirt of pungent bitter chocolates, a body spray of alcohol, and a toffee necklace. Sure you can see some of these things, but they are dwarfed by that ridiculous jacket.

Oral Sensations
The lack of carbonation is now noted in two locations. This is not a bad thing. I actually think that to add any more carbonation to this brew would destroy the balance it has found within itself. here is so little carbon dioxide floating in this that it goes down relatively smooth with the barest of tickles upon my palate.

The liquid has a presence to itself, an attitude if you will. It swirls throughout my mouth and latches onto locations like algae to a creek bed. If you couldn't tell how full this was going to feel from the lacing that still exists on the rims of my snifter, well... I'd be left speechless, to be frank. It has a faint stickiness that mimics the most humid of summer days around my lips and inner cavity.

Conclusions
The 9.5% alcohol is no joke. I can feel it within the first few sips. It initially was dangerous, but like all scary concepts revisited over and over it lost the appeal. It began to drag at me and resent it.

The flavors, though complex when aggressively researched, are for the most part disappointing. If I could enjoy everything in every sip, it would have been a great beer. For this alone I can only feel it out as a good beer. Even the nose was on the whole a overly simplistic presence. Good for trying, not my top choice for this style.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass. I've had this for a while it was bottled 1.5 years ago, bottled date of Mar. 25, 2010.

This pours a pitch black, motor oil consistency with a nice mocha head which leaves a lacing, absolutely no light gets through the black color. The smells are of dark chocolate, roasted malts, a little of hops. The feel is very thick completely coats the mouth, among the best I've had. The taste is beautiful, dark chocolate, bitter malts and bitter hops. A wonderful IRS.

3.96/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Coal black with a cappuccino colored head that is frothy, big and bold. Lacing is amazing, as the head clings tightly to the inside of the glass.

This aroma is big on hops, with rich, creamy coffee and bitter chocolate lingering in the background. Probably one of the hoppiest smelling RIS's that I have had. I don't get any of the dark fruity notes that I enjoy so much.

Taste is again up-front with big hops, but creamy rich latte and milk chocolate are right there with it, along with some prune, raisin and alcohol. Interesting and complex. I look forward to each and every sip.

Big bodied, thick and creamy in the mouth. Enjoyable even on a hot summer day for sure.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company