Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,675 | Hads: 4,859
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Pint Glass: Poured Black with red sparkle tan foam that fades out pretty fast.

S: Coffee, chocolate, alcohol

T: Black coffee, no cream or sugar here, with a slight hint of chocolate.

M: Caramel, Chocolate masterpiece. Bitter, bitter aftertaste. Not for the lighthearted. If your not a regular stout drinker, this beer will be too much for you. Try something else, baby steps folks, baby steps.

D: Drink it slow for all the bitterness. Drink it fast to get drunk! What are you waiting for drink up! (502 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Drank this from the cask at Falling Rock Ale House in Denver. Perfect temp brought out the many layers of this exceptional Imperial Stout. This is a treat! (157 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

I love stout, and this is one of the better stouts I've ever had.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a glass. Appearance is dark, dark, dark. Held the glass up to the light.... nothing shone through. This beer is darker than Guinness. Even the head is dark brown, resolving to a lighter color after awhile. Lacing is prevalent, settling eventually.

Smell is of chocolate mostly, with some hops, but smell isn't really prevalent in this one. It also smells faintly like.... olives.... hmmm....

Taste is exceptional! It's like biting into a bar of baking chocolate, not quite sweet, but extremely pleasing and a little bitter. Caramel and especially coffee flavor is present as well. Additionally, despite the 9.5 ABV, there is no taste whatsoever of alcohol here, not much of a drying finish. Probably the most pleasing beer I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth, like a nitro except where you can feel the carbonation. Bubbles are very fine. Flows down the throat like a million bucks.

Drinkability, eh.... if it weren't so heavy, I could drink a million of these. But it is, so after a bottle or two (of 22ozers) I'm done. It's almost mournful once it's actually done.

All in all, this could be the best beer I have ever (or will ever) have. Thank you to Great Divide for brewing such an excellent beer! (1,331 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

pours black with a thin brown lacing, smells of coffee and malt, tastes like the bottle says, it has a strong roast malt flavor that flows into an alcoholic bite. I don't taste the caramel or toffee notes. mouthfeel is good, pretty light on the tongue and it tingles a bit. i could probably have a couple pints of this before i moved on to something else. (355 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a beer lover's beer. This is not for the meek. If you are a true stout enthusiast, you will love this one. When I first poured this into my glass, I wanted to take a picture it was so beautiful. Jet black with a wonderful, rich, mocha-colored head. You know a stout is going to be good when the head is so thick and creamy is looks like it could fit on top of a meringue pie! Sticking my nose into the glass I got a rich dose of hops plus a dark, roasty, raisiny aroma from the malts. This is a beer that bulges out of its seams on both ends. Not only does it have all the richness you would expect from such a heavy roast on the malts, but it also delivers a HUGE hop wallop. Nothing faint here. This one gives it to ya straight up. Body is huge! - as full as full gets. Flavor is packed with tons of dark-roasted malt, with dried black fruit, bittersweet chocolate, anise, tobacco, and burnt sugar. The noble dose of hops balances out the big malt attack, leaving you completely and utterly satiated. If this beer doesn't satisfy even the biggest of beer cravings, I don't know what would. An awesome product of craftmanship. I've had some other beers from this brewery that I remember liking quite a lot but haven't had in some time. After drinking this one tonight, I'm going to revisit this brewery. What a beer!! Two thumbs up! (1,341 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

with a high abv stout like this one I would usually expect an overly heavy boozy taste and a thick syrupy pour but I was pleasantly surprised as soon as I poured this beer.

For an imperial stout Yeti poured a smoother nicer black tone with a small dark brown head and some light lacing.

The pour released some nice nutty, oakey notes.

The oakiness stayed upon the first sip and as the beer warmed closer to room temperature its complexities definitely showed through, Nice nutty malt taste with a strong but not overpowering finish made it a substantial yet very drinkable imperial stout.

The mouthfeel was heavy but smooth and left a warm tingle behind

being my first experience with GDBC I am very pleased and will continue to try everything I can from them (766 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -5%

Pitch black and opaque. Head is brown, fluffy and very stable.

Smell is surprisingly hoppy for the type. It also brings promises of coffee and caramel.

Taste is everything. A sharp bitterness with lots of coffe. Charcoal. Caramel sweetness a little in the background. Some fruity esters and definitely some dark chocolate. A touch of american hops that add complexity and character, but are not appropriate for the type. Imperial stouts are all about the malt and not supposed to be hoppy, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is just perfect. Heavy body, no overcarbonation and great texture.

Not all imperial stouts have the courage to go beyond black. This one does. And excels at it. If the brewery could only save the flavoring hops for their IPA... (746 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

January 2010 bottle.

Drinking at cellar temp.
This beer pours very black, glugs from the bottle like motor oil. The head on this beer is an incredible dark espresso color. This beer just looks awesome. The smell is very much like a dessert. German chocolate cake comes to mind, truffles, creme brulee, roasted nuts, and a nice rich espresso note. The aroma is world class. The taste does not fall short. Big rich creamy chocolate notes up front, cake like flavors, I also get a creamy like flavor that does remind me of creme brulee. This beer is just great, one of my favorite stouts, seriously good stuff. (608 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Big tan head that dissipates quickly. Black chocolate color.

Smell: Bold, roasty. Somewhat sweet with very defined vanilla, coffee, and cocoa. Smells amazing.

Taste: Big roasted chocolate malt balanced perfectly with very piney hops. Very christmasy. Coffee and vanilla flavors come in second. Leaves a pleasant bitterness of coffee and hops. It's perfect.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light. Not too sticky at all. It's, again, perfect.

Overall: it's brilliant. I'll be back for more. I should also note that I like the simplicity of this one compared to it's oak aged brother. (589 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

The prince of darkness, this one is as deep as a freshly roasted espresso.
Almost black in color, with a 2 fingered chocolate brown head, this beers appearance is incredible.The super chocolatey aroma leads me straight into an ecstacy of chocolate and smokey oak flavors.
The taste is fruity, almost plum flavored as it layers into a vanilla- latte creaminess with a nice bitter chocolate finish.
Smoked flavor is an oaky woodiness that compliments the fruit flavor nicely.
More chocolate aftertaste than any stout I have tried so far.
A grand and definitely Imperial Stout.
I may have found heaven. (606 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Oh my goodness... poured into a goblet, this is one of the most menacingly beautiful beers I've laid eyes on. The head is a prodigious milk chocolate, quite thick and with good retention, the body a viscous inky black. Just amazing to look at.

What hits me first in the nose is a big blast of resinous American hops. There's definitely some dark, sweet maltiness, but it's not nearly the lead component here. This is one hoppy stout.

The flavor is amazing. Huge malty sweetness up front, richer than any chocolate torte in existence, followed by a sucker punch of beautiful hops and roasted barley. In its own twisted way, this is rather balanced! The sweetness, the roasted barley character, the bitter, piney hops, all there battling for your tastebuds. It's incredible.

In the mouth, this beer is absolutely luscious. It's thick in a way that I've never experienced before. Each sip coats every square centimeter with this massive ale, which I am beginning to believe is the devil's own personal brew. The carbonation is just enough to keep it from going over the edge.

Damn! This is the third Imperial Stout I've had in a week, and it's the first to hit the spot. Such a beautiful combination of malt, hops, water and yeast. A superb ale. (1,249 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Damn! This is a dark, black beer. I...am a little...scared? Haha. A one finger head that winds down slowly and lacing that clings to the glass! Smells like thick coffee, alcohol, vanilla. A nice bouquet.
Taste - smoky chocolate. Black licorice. Faint esters if alcohol. A very smooth (yet thick) taste and mouthfeel. Nice.

This is one fine beer. Not often do stouts get this hoppy, and it is very becoming of the brew. I'm not huge on stouts but fortunately my roommate turned me on to this one. Drinkability is not so high due to thickness, but that's ok! (557 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Beer is black with a dark mocha head. Very appealing.

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, and lots of chocolate. Plenty of hops for an RIS.

Taste is more of the same. I find it leaning more towards chocolate than anything else. Hops can definitely be detected behind the malt backbone.

The mouthfeel is thick and a bit rough around the edges, which I don't mind. Drinkability is pretty good since I much prefer a thicker RIS. I find thinner versions are actually more difficult to drink in any quantity. All around a very good beer. (573 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap at Hopjacks in Mobile, Alabama

Intense black-brown color with a dark brown mocha mousse colored head. If you don't know what mocha mousse looks like, think the color of coffee with just a dabble of milk in there...This sucker is opaque, and coats the glass. Lovely. I am reminded of that crazy, intense espresso on every corner in Italy. That stuff will keep you up for days.

In the Riedel, you get dark syrupy and pepper aromas combined with a burst of hoppiness. There is an essence of orange here, but not like in the grocery store, more like standing in an orange grove, with the green smells of leaves and grass around you.

On the palate, you get that punch of espresso I was expecting, along with tobacco and paper on the finish. There is a definite, measurable bitterness here, which seems to be a combo of both the hops and the roasted malts. This is a wonderfully balanced, interesting brew that for me, should be one of THE Imperial Stouts you try if you are setting out to understand the American style. (1,024 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

A- opaque, doesn't allow any light through even when held to the sun. espresso in appearance, dark coffee. It's almost purple...eggplant. Strong head retention, you could write a sports plan in a head this thick.

S- Roasted dark malt

T- Dark thick toffee with a mellow burnt aftertaste. Rough and Tough in the gentlest of ways.

M-Same weight as milk, thick but not too syrupy.

D- I'd have another and love it, i'd have another and regret it, i'd have another and forget I'd had another. (490 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Pour from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass

Appearance- Beautiful black and completely opaque. About 2 finger brown head.

Smell- Roaster Aroma, along with a chocolaty smell and a hint of alcohol.

Taste- Very hoppy, but also alot of coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt.

Mouth feel- Smooth, creamy, and somewhat carbonated

Drink-ability- One bomber is more than enough for me. I'm new to RIS's and I would not want drink a lot of this. (441 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.9%

This has to be one of the best examples of Imperial Stout I have ever had.

The appearance is jet black with a dark brown head. It looks great sitting in my imperial pint glass. The head looks awfully creamy.

The smell is roasty with hints of coffee and chocolate. It wasn't overpowering or anything special, but I have been a little stuffy recently.

The taste is superb. Its slightly sweet with notes of caramel, coffee, and nuts. I love the roasted flavor it brings across and the alcohol is barely present which is amazing since its 9.50% ABV. It all meshes very well. I would say the taste is the best thing about this beer.

The mouthfeel is definitely creamy. Its very smooth and not too thick. So you could have a couple and not feel overly full like some other Stouts.

Drinkability is good at best. The high ABV and the fact its an Imperial Stout means its still heavy, but on the lower end of Stouts. This beer is perfect for those cold wintery nights and it not something I would suggest during the summer months.

Overall, I imagine myself sitting in some cold Colorado mountain, hanging out in the snow and drinking this very tasty beer. (1,153 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter

A- Pitch black with a creamy mocha head that sticks to the side of the glass.

S- Smokey malts, chocolate, caramel, espresso. The alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering.

T- Very flavorful. Espresso changes to a caramel like sweetness, to a hoppy bitterness. Very complex. I'm Not sure I can detect everything thats going on here, but I like it. Every single sip changes flavor several times which leads me to think about the ingredients that go into this monster beer.

M- Very thick and drooly. Coats the throat. I don't even want to swallow it. Its like heaven on my palette. The carbonation gives it a tangy character, and the hop oils make your lips sticky. Nice!

D- Very tasty, but high in alcohol and price. This might be a beer for a special occasion and one at a time. (825 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Toasted nuts, roasted coffee and chocolate, with a little sweet liqueur thrown in for good measure

Appearance: Pours like slick black oil with a minimal, decadent, half-inch tan head

Taste: Bitter and slightly salty, with a nice, long, lightly sour aftertaste

Palate: Light bodied with a thin oily texture, flat with an astringent, bitter finish

Overall: A good stout, but perhaps a little too bitter to be named excellent. (438 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Had it from "distant" tap, so no pour observations other than the lovely tan head and healthy lacing. Good clean clear black color, medium viscosity from what this amateur dark beer drinker would expect. I thought it was very balanced with a very good flavor profile, burnt malts, etc., creamy mouthfeel, clean finish for a 'meal in itself' brew. I seldom can sample these brews and I enjoyed this very much. Looking forward to sampling all the GD's products at the wellhead. (475 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

A-This is one of the sexiest beers i have poured. It looks amazing. No light will pass through this beer very black. For the style this beer is a bench mark

S-Smell's like a stout. Good smell

T-This beer is amazing. It taste like a chocolate coffee wonder. Splashing this around in my mouth I find a nice initial chocolate coffee flavor and then it is finished with a great bittering that surrounds my salivation glands

M-Great mouth feel very creamy; very rich

D-At 9.5% you would think that this beer would be a heavy hitter, but it is actually quite subtle. Very easy to drink...very easy to drink a lot before you even notice

This beer is exceptional no more needed to say (681 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle from Prince's Liquors, Plymouth, MN. March 10, 2010 production, 9.5% Alcohol.

Poured dark, dark with a rick 1 inch caramel colored head that stayed. Good lacing.

Strong roasted malt, coffee and some sweetness.

Taste was very good, this is my kind of beer - full body, lots of hops, roast malts, with caramel and coffee taste. Not bitter, easy to drink.

Full taste, good heavy feel in the mouth, made to sip or slug.

Very drinkable. Looking forward to my second bottle calling me from the fridge... (513 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

I'm just now getting into stouts. I was biased because I'm not really a Guinness fan. Here goes!

I'm pouring from a 1pt 6oz bottle at 54.3 degrees into a 16oz pint glass.

As far as appearance, this is a beautiful beer! Completely black with a very thick, frothy, two-finger head. The head is a light brown that sticks around. It reminds me of soy sauce, the way it pours.

The smell is overwhelmingly hoppy. The bottle boasts a large amount of hops and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in that aspect of this beer. I detect a little sweetness going on, maybe toffee or chocolate.

I'm a little apprehensive to taste this one. I've only heard good things, from fellow BA's as well as my trusted beer store employees. This one takes me by surprise! I was right about the toffee and chocolate, but there's also a heavy coffee influence. At 9.5abv, I thought I would be able to taste the alcohol more, but I'm pleasantly surprised! The alcohol is still there, but there's so much more going on in my mouth that it's more of a side note than a distraction! VERY well done!
Starts with a little bitterness, but moves to a very smooth, woodsy hoppiness that is complimented nicely by the roasting! Wow. Wow....wow!

The carbonation reminds me of a nitrogen pushed beer (Belhaven, Guinness), but not as thick. Very smooth, though a little thick for how heavy the beer is. Maybe its just me, but I like the contrasy of heavy, yet watery beers (see Guinness 250).

As far as drinkability, I would say I like this one more than I like most stouts I've tried, though that list is very short. I will buy more of this one, but mostly because I want to drink it with friends and share its uniqueness with them. (1,707 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a bomber bottled on January 12 into my tulip glass.

Appearance - black, just black. You have to ask yourself how much blacker can this get, and the answer is none...none more black. Two fingers of creamy, frothy brown head that takes it's time going away. It is very visually appealing.

Smell - a lot of dark roast coffee with hop aromas making their way through underneath the initial coffee.

Taste - the bitterness of the black malt bites you at first, but it mellows after a bit to reveal some of the coffee from the nose, along with the flavour of very high cacao percentage chocolate - think Lindt 95% cacao bar. Hop bitterness brings up the rear and ends the sip with a very crisp sensation. As the beer warms, the chocolate both increases in presence and mellows in intensity.

Mouthfeel - the carbonation is moderate, and the beer is big and full bodied. No surprises here, this is one that requires some time to finish. It's flavours linger without a heavy, mouth-coating sweet feeling in the aftertaste.

Drinkability - the nice balance and the lack of the aforementioned heavy sweetness in the aftertaste makes me think that, apart from the alcohol being up there, I could drink a couple of these. (1,223 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

A) dark. Completely opaque. Nice head that dissipates quickly

S) good imperial smell. Hops balanced w Malts w a licorice scent like anise

T) excellent taste comparable to a stone imperial but with more malt. Smokey, toffee,spicy

M) bold a bit chewy. Leftover malt on the back end

O) overall I was pleased. Surprised by the hoppiness of this imperial stout, well balanced though. Tasty and enjoyable (403 characters)

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company