Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,721 | Hads: 5,091

I picked up this bottle from a SoCal BevMo when I went down there this summer. It was bottled in January 2011 and I've been waiting for a decent time to try it out. Now is that time.

Holy cow this beer pours dark. I've had a decent amount of imperial stouts but I don't think I've seen a head on a beer that was this dark tan. The beer looks like a black mass in the glass.

Smells like burnt caramel and dark alcohol. Not much chocolate or coffee smell like I get out of other imperial stouts. This one is pretty straight forward.

Burnt, sweet and malty up front. Sweetness continues in the finish. If I had to liken it to a chocolate I would say very dark chocolate (burnt chocolate?) I wonder how this beer would be if I had given it another year or so.

Medium carbonation and medium viscosity as far as mouthfeel goes.

4.0's all the way across. I'll grab a few more of these next time I head south. I also need to get ahold of some of the variations.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

My mouth has been watering for this one...

Pours a thick black used motor oil color with a head that looks like chocolate milk. I held this up to a halogen light and saw nothing but pure black goodness. Nice two finger head that slowly dissipated into some nice sticky lacing.

Smell is dark chocolate, malt, hops, smoky, and some fig. It seriously reminds me of fig newtons!

This tastes wonderful...bakers chocolate, raisins, hoppy bite with a smooth finish. As it warms the alcohol is a little more pronounced and this beer leaves a nice coating in your mouth with a yummy hop aftertaste.

The drinkability really depends on your tastes and what you like. I could drink a couple of these but the high abv might slow some down a bit. I don't really taste the 9.5% abv but I can sure feel it :-).

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Purchased at Cambridge Wine and Spirits. Dark in color - almost black - and very opaque with an unusually dark brown head. Taste has tones of chocolate and coffee. I thought the mouthfeel was a bit syrupy, but that was my only complaint. 12 oz. was about the most I could handle, but that's ok - not a session beer (for me, at least).

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours out like Tar, but in a good way. Head is almost a dark bronze/cherry brown head to it.

S: Smells like your typical stout... Coffee/Bitter chocolate.

T: Taste reminds me a lot of Alesmith Speedway stout... Very sugary when you let it set on your lips. Very very thick. Only stout I have had thicker was the speedway. Only hit on this is it does not hide the alcohol quite as well as speedway (sorry for comparing it to that but it reminds me a lot of it)

Summary: Second thickest beer I have had. Very good taste, very thick, but would have been rated higher if it had hid the alcohol a little better.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Served on tap in a short curved glass at Melt Bar & Grilled in Lakewood, OH

A - Appearance is black with a creamy head and good lacing. What you'd expect from a stout.
S - The nose on this beer is sweet with a bit of detectable hops.
T - The taste of this beer is a wonderful caramel sweetness. Not overdone, well balanced and enjoyable.
M - Mouthfeel is smooth and heavy. The high alcohol content and malt give it a lot of body and it coats your tongue.
D - This is one of those beers that I'd want to drink more of than I'm able to. The taste is well balanced and doesn't wear on you, but because it is so heavy and high in alcohol I probably couldn't drink more than one or two.

This is already one of my favorite beers. It's hard to explain why since really it is just a sweet, heavy stout. However, it's so well done and balanced that you can't help but love it.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Reviewing from notes

A: Poured black/very dark brown with a dark brown head and good retention. Excellent lacing.

S: It was stored cold and the first impression from the aroma was a dark chocolate milkshake. Yum. More complex dark roast aromas make themselves evident as it warmed. Really quite beautiful for a stout.

T: Again, very much dark chocolate. A malt bitterness that is restrained and nicely balanced with a slight sweetness.

M: Thick, lovely, barely any alcohol burn.

D: Delicious and drinkable. As a fan of stouts, this is a treat. All my notes said: "love it love it love it" which I think sums it up perfectly.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours into a frothy creamy 3-finger head with a pitch black body that is impossible to see through. If I was to look at the top of my glass I would think I was drinking chocolate milk. Chocolate in high doses eminates from the top of the glass, not so muych a coffe taste but pure rich chocolate.

The taste matches the smell, leaveing a feeling in my mouth of a rich and creamy taste. Malts and roasted grain are abound until the very end when the coco flavors burst through. Quite bitter and with a higher alcohol taste then I would care for but the complex flavors of this beer more than make up for it.

Not a beer I would drink all the time but on special occasions or with a large dinner. It does go down smooth but this beer is to rich to enjoy in mass quantities.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a large wine glass. Pours a thick, syrupy black. Totally opaque. Virtually no head.

Scents of coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, smoked meats, toasted bread, plum. *Slight* notes of solvent, but far less than often found in high ABV beers. Excellent.

Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, red fruit (pomegranate?) taste. Best tasting beer I have had.

Mouthfeel loses some points due to the stickyness and syrupy quality. Still very good. Neither astringent nor overly round and flat.

Overall, this is the best beer I have had to date, surpassing even Trappistes Rochefort 10. The texture could use a bit of work, but otherwise, it's truly fantastic.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a pitch black. Absolutely no light is escaping from this black hole of a beer. Dark tan thick head is slow to form -- overflowed from my glass as I was pouring over my dinner. Laces the glass nicely. Smells of roasted malts and alcohol with some light traces of alcohol. Tastes of dark chocolate and coffee up front followed by roasted malt. Some nice oily hopiness rounds it out to complete the taste. Alcohol not as prevelent as I thought it would be, which is a nice surprise. Overall one hell of an Impy Stout. One of the best I've had. Nicely complex and very stout in both character and strength, I highly recommend this one.

3.66/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: The beer itself is tar back and pours with a nice dark brown head.

Smell: Very alcoholic nose with lots of coffee and espresso notes complemented well with a heavy dose of hopping and some biscuit notes that you have to search out.

Taste: Nice sweet express flavor also complements by a large amount of bittering hops. The astringency is balance nicely by the sweetness making this brew very drinkable. Over all a good brew.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a large sniffer: Deep dark black body looks like a beautiful shot of espresso with a creamy brown head. Light will not pass through the body of the glass and the head laces the glasses fairly slowly.
Fruity hop aroma with sweet chocolate-ness.
Beautiful chocolate flavor with a sweet citrus middle and bitter finish. Digging deep into the beer one finds toffee, caramelized sugar and cocoa and a hint of licorice. I'm overwhelmed by the modest amounts of hoppiness that pour out in the aroma and flavor. The strong roasted flavors of the grain are muted in comparison.
A very medium-heavy body with a delightful nature, hides the 9.5%ABV very well. Smooth and light carbonation that fits this beer well. Very drinkable and enjoyable on a nice rainy day.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

A: pure black with a mocha coloured head and great lacing
S: roasted malt, chocolate, fresh coffee beans, black chocolate,...
T: espresso, black chocolate, ground up coffee beans, toffee, minor bitterness at the end.
M: nice, thick, creamy body to it and goes down nicely.
D: drank mine & my friends bottle when he said that he didn't want to finish it & I wanted more. I definitely, absolutely loved this one.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

The Yeti Imperial Stout is brewed in Colorado at the Great Divide Brewing Co, and is like its namesake, a big hairy beast. At first glance I thought that it was going to be a little fatter than I was ready for, but it grows on you quick. This drink pours thick, dark and heavy, and foams like a science experiment gone awry. It smells heady and rich – a cocoa, toffee, coffee. Initially, upon appearance, I thought that this beverage would be too malty and cloying. And while a mouthful is dense and lingering it is not overpowering or intrusive. It’s a good example of a full, well balanced Russian Imperial Stout, and with a 9.5% alcohol it’ll warm you up on a cold winter’s night.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter from a 22 oz bottle with 12/16/12 date. 9.5% ABV on the bottle.

Thin brownish head with midnight black color.

Aggressive aromas of expresso, malty chocolate and caramel.

Flavor profile was very smooth and even with chocolate, coffee, caramelized sugar, and with an IBU of 75 definite floral, citrus taste.

Very rich, smooth body. This Imperial Stout has the most even and lingering flavor profile of any I have tasted. Light carbonation that increased as the beer warmed up.

No gaps exist between the first lovely aromas and tastes to the solid middle of the flavor profile to the long lingering exquisite finish. This beer will now replace North Coast Old Rasputin as my go to Imperial Stout.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Black with a brown head that disappeared fairly quickly

S - Bitter chocolate and coffee. Fairly strong and pleasing.

T - Powerful taste (again coffee and chocolate comes to mind) which goes bitter afterward.

M - Creamy and very pleasant to drink. Goes down very well and the alcohol doesn't detract from the feeling. One of the best I've ever experienced.

O - RIS are my favorite style and this one is one of the best I've had. Not something I'd drink a lot of, but would be wonderful to enjoy after a good meal. A real treat to come across and I look forward to the chance to have one again.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

An old favorite and my first love as pertains to imperial stouts. I got a chance to try this on draft at Great Divide's tap room a few months back. This time it's a 12oz bottle into a goblet. I think I messed up the pour because I got almost no head, but I know it gives a brown creme color and is quit sizable usually. The actual beer is as black as Himmler's Heart.

This beer smells like vanilla and chocolate mostly. When you take a drink, it tastes similar but there is a massive hop bite. There is a really dry taste that I can't place there too. Reminds me of the woods, or a lumber yard...in a good way, of course. Nice and smooth. It's sweeter than I remember it being, but not overly so. I wish I had the willpower to age one of these babies and see what happens.

Great Divide makes some damn fine beers in my opinion, this one being up there as one of their best.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Never before have I looked at a beer poured in my glass that I wanted to drink so badly based on look alone. It's dark and inviting with a thick, frothy head. You cannot see light through this. It's excellent.

The taste hits you sweetly then fades into bitterness. The one detractor I have from it is that it lingers on the tongue as a bitter tang for too long. Excellent flavor overall. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Awesome, pitch black with a carmel/coffee colored head that sticks around.

S - Sweet, dark roasted coffee and a little bit of burnt sugar

T - Big flavor! Malt of chocolate and a lot of roast flavors coming through. Alcohol deff peaks its head out. The malt is complemented with the hops which add to the complexity. Almost a licorice flavor that sticks with ya for a while.

M - Sticky with a little carbonation in mouth

D - some imperial stouts scare me or i enjoy the taste but they drink like straight booze this is drinkable. complex flavors and a sweetness all balanced

I enjoyed this beer very much

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

What a treat! Thank you to Natlocc787 for giving me the heads-up on where I could find this one. I really appreciate it.

Poured from a bottle dated July 2007. This beast of a stout has been sitting, waiting for its consumption for 2 and 1 half years. And oh is it ripe! The appearance is spectacular. The bubbles are so tight it looks more like coffee whipped-cream than a typical head. The froth is rebellious in its submittal to gravity, finally giving its way to a highly decorated, multiple ring of lace. When tilted from side to side the cascading effects are that of a marching band; every member hitting its own note to cause a harmony unparalleled. I smell dark caramel chocolate, vanilla, Godiva liquor and raisin plum with hints of dated pear and a touch of tobacco. The taste is nothing short of perfection. It has bourbon and a wood backbone. Lots of vanilla caramel chocolate, also dates with the slightest alcohol finish. The feel is smooth. Not thick or thin but perfect for this beer. The feel is satin on the palate not demanding too much and going down smooth. I have paramount beer in my cellar: Abyss, Life and Limb, Peche Mortel and others. This is the beer I want most right now.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

(Originally reviewed on 03/13/2010)
Serving - 12 oz bottle
Glassware - Church Brew Works Pint Glass
Cost - $5.00 per bottle - Pinocchio's Beer Garden

Appearance - Thick, Black, Poured almost like motor oil, head of dark chocolate, kinda reminded me of the 'shavings' you would see on a hershey's special dark chocolate bar. If the taste isn't full bodied I give up on rating beers

Smell - Roasted maltiness, oak, chocolate, some coffee. Swirl it around your glass enough, you're going to get a good strong hoppy aroma kicking in. As I am smelling halfway through the beer, I can pick up some toffee, too.

Taste - malts and coffee upon first sip, washed down with hops and bitterness. Seems to smoothly go down the throat with flavors of a nice pleasant caramel. Aftertaste of oak - very nice.

Mouthfeel - thick, almost silk-like (Maybe creamy? I think thats the caramel effect) This would make a great milkshake - or is it one already? Yes, full-bodied, this is smooth, yet hoppy and complex. Nice.

Drinkability - this is an awesome offering from Great Divide - 9.5% ABV yet it doesn't taste like it should be that strong. However, I consider it a 'night and day' beer - almost guinness-like smoothness combined with a nice but not overpowering IPA kick mashed together with a good variety of flavors we tend to like in our stouts. This one's a winner and if I had ever wanted to enjoy a beer in milkshake form, this would be that selection.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow, I think my brain just blew out the back of my skull from the insane amounts of flavor I'm tasting off of this brew. I truly thought it couldn't get more intense than Arrogant Bastard. I truly was wrong.

Appearance: pitch jet black. Light can't even penetrate the surface of this beer.

Smell: I'm getting... plum, raisin, dark chocolate, booze, maybe a hint of sugar.

Taste: *head explodes*. That's right. That's really how much taste is packed into this brew. The taste is identical to the smell, strong, overbearing, right in your face, and completely unapologetic. This would more than likely kill an inexperienced drinker with the simple amount of flavor packed in there.

Mouthfeel: thick and chewy, just like I like it.

Drinkability: Just like any Imperial Stout, it shouldn't be drank for refreshment. It should only be drank when you really feel like a savory beer.

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 22 oz glass into a beeradvocate recommended pint glass.

About a finger-tip length of dark foamy, head... almost at points appearing a dark cherry in hues. Medium-sized to large bubbles that never fully diminish.

Sky black, thick dark fondue chocolate in appearance... Feels like it's completely engulfing the glass, and becoming its own entity as I let it warm...

Aromas of lots of roasted malt. Some notes of black licorice, bourbon vanilla and beachwood as the brew warms.

Surprising amount of citrus hop in first sips, which was completely unexpected. Expresso bitterness in between sips. Spices started loading up as the beer warmed, and gained subtle notes of a sort of smooth chocolate vodka / liquor (Black Russian?)... Accidently sent some of this brew down the wrong tube though, and the IBU's and alcohol were quite apparent.

Smooth mouthfeel, a little more carbonation than compared with a Guiness. Slight tingle with every sip when cold.

Wanted very much to enjoy this beer more than I did. But I feel like I've had better stouts. Maybe the 72% cacao w/ expresso nibs chocolate bar I accompanied withh the brew wasn't the right choice (too sweet)? Or I was just thinking about the review too much... All in all, maybe I just need to try and enjoy this beer more than once.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Comes out of the bottle like motor oil. Black; can't see through; minimal brown head on this pour. Looks heavy. Very nice appearance.

Smell: Lots of big and roasty going on here; espresso; chocolate; some alcohol; grassy hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pretty much follows the nose. Just big roasty, thick, chewy, bittersweet, chococolate, espresso, some sort of fruit(prune; fig; raisin?) Tiny hint of booze. Heavy. Big ups

Overall: When I think stouts 2013-14 I'll think of
1.) Tried and true N.C. Old Raspy 2.) Dark Horse Plead the 5th 3.) Founders Breakfast Stout 4.) Sierra Nevada Narwhal 5.) Grand Teton Black Cauldron and 6.) That one Deschutes porter and.... 7.) Great Divide Yeti!
I'd like to do a blind taste test between them all but the Yeti is super dank outta Denver. It's just a tad pricey is the only thing I can find fault in it. I want to give it all 4.75's but if I were to taste it stacked up against all those others as well as the other versions of Yeti i don't know I would rate it as high, so for that reason I lowered it.
Point is, Yeti is a decadent beer that packs a walloping 9.5% . If you're looking for an imperial stout and you've yet to find Yeti, look no further.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at the Lost Dog Lounge in Ithaca, NY, inexplicably served in a plastic pint glass (whose shockingly effective insulation made it really, really hard to warm up).

Very thin dark tan head (par for the course on a Russian Imperial Stout with this much alcohol), but it definitely stuck around, even as I held my beer for twenty minutes or so to warm it up. Very nice lacing on the glass (well, plastic), and a dark, inky, opaque near-black.

Nice toffee and caramel aroma with some darker coffee and chocolate hiding back there. A little bit of herbal hops back there, too, and some nonspecific fruitiness. A big, pleasing smell overall.

Huge malty, toffee flavor, secondary on the chocolate and coffee flavors. The finish is beautiful; the alcohol and hops take it from an incredibly sweet brew to a nice, crisp dryness that lingers with some herbal flavors. Definitely a big, thick brew that coats the mouth and the tongue; very satisfying.

Big, tasty, and gets a lot right as far as I'm concerned. I would, however, definitely consider this a food beer. The first time I had it (from a bottle, not on tap), it was with barbecued spare ribs, and it was just about the best beer/food combination ever. On its own, it's a little harder to down, especially because it's not as much of a dessert beer as something like Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Jet black with a very creamy, thick tan head that doesn't want to go away. Good lacing. This is what a stout should look like.

S: Lots of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee. I smell more chocolate than coffee. Secondary aroma of spicy hops and alcohol also comes through.

T: Upfront it's loads of chocolate malt with coffee tinges. Hop flavor does a nice job supporting but certainly plays second fiddle. Aftertaste is of burned grain and bittersweet chocolate. Slight alcohol burn also.

M: My favorite part of this beer. It's exceptionally creamy; the mouthfeel reminds me of an ice cream float. Only thing that hurts it is that it's a little too carbonated.

D: The higher ABV and alcohol spiciness make it hard to have more than a couple of these at a time. Still, as far as Imperial stouts go, this is as drinkable as they come.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company