Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,705 | Hads: 5,005
3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

An old favorite and my first love as pertains to imperial stouts. I got a chance to try this on draft at Great Divide's tap room a few months back. This time it's a 12oz bottle into a goblet. I think I messed up the pour because I got almost no head, but I know it gives a brown creme color and is quit sizable usually. The actual beer is as black as Himmler's Heart.

This beer smells like vanilla and chocolate mostly. When you take a drink, it tastes similar but there is a massive hop bite. There is a really dry taste that I can't place there too. Reminds me of the woods, or a lumber yard...in a good way, of course. Nice and smooth. It's sweeter than I remember it being, but not overly so. I wish I had the willpower to age one of these babies and see what happens.

Great Divide makes some damn fine beers in my opinion, this one being up there as one of their best.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bomber. Pours black with a big, brownish head made up of dense little bubbles. Aromas of roasted malts, a little smokiness, and some dark fruit on the end. Taste is malts up front, lots of roasted malts, followed by some chocolate and some lingering bitterness. Dark chocolate and milk chocolate flavors are clearly present. The aftertaste is of strong dark chocolate, while the flavor earlier is more milk chocolatey. Heavy, smooth, milky mouthfeel. Very full bodied, with a hint of carbonation. Definitely some noticeable booziness. Overall very good imperial stout. Let it warm up a bit and it's a great dessert on its own. Or, make a Yeti float!

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

What a treat! Thank you to Natlocc787 for giving me the heads-up on where I could find this one. I really appreciate it.

Poured from a bottle dated July 2007. This beast of a stout has been sitting, waiting for its consumption for 2 and 1 half years. And oh is it ripe! The appearance is spectacular. The bubbles are so tight it looks more like coffee whipped-cream than a typical head. The froth is rebellious in its submittal to gravity, finally giving its way to a highly decorated, multiple ring of lace. When tilted from side to side the cascading effects are that of a marching band; every member hitting its own note to cause a harmony unparalleled. I smell dark caramel chocolate, vanilla, Godiva liquor and raisin plum with hints of dated pear and a touch of tobacco. The taste is nothing short of perfection. It has bourbon and a wood backbone. Lots of vanilla caramel chocolate, also dates with the slightest alcohol finish. The feel is smooth. Not thick or thin but perfect for this beer. The feel is satin on the palate not demanding too much and going down smooth. I have paramount beer in my cellar: Abyss, Life and Limb, Peche Mortel and others. This is the beer I want most right now.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

(Originally reviewed on 03/13/2010)
Serving - 12 oz bottle
Glassware - Church Brew Works Pint Glass
Cost - $5.00 per bottle - Pinocchio's Beer Garden

Appearance - Thick, Black, Poured almost like motor oil, head of dark chocolate, kinda reminded me of the 'shavings' you would see on a hershey's special dark chocolate bar. If the taste isn't full bodied I give up on rating beers

Smell - Roasted maltiness, oak, chocolate, some coffee. Swirl it around your glass enough, you're going to get a good strong hoppy aroma kicking in. As I am smelling halfway through the beer, I can pick up some toffee, too.

Taste - malts and coffee upon first sip, washed down with hops and bitterness. Seems to smoothly go down the throat with flavors of a nice pleasant caramel. Aftertaste of oak - very nice.

Mouthfeel - thick, almost silk-like (Maybe creamy? I think thats the caramel effect) This would make a great milkshake - or is it one already? Yes, full-bodied, this is smooth, yet hoppy and complex. Nice.

Drinkability - this is an awesome offering from Great Divide - 9.5% ABV yet it doesn't taste like it should be that strong. However, I consider it a 'night and day' beer - almost guinness-like smoothness combined with a nice but not overpowering IPA kick mashed together with a good variety of flavors we tend to like in our stouts. This one's a winner and if I had ever wanted to enjoy a beer in milkshake form, this would be that selection.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow, I think my brain just blew out the back of my skull from the insane amounts of flavor I'm tasting off of this brew. I truly thought it couldn't get more intense than Arrogant Bastard. I truly was wrong.

Appearance: pitch jet black. Light can't even penetrate the surface of this beer.

Smell: I'm getting... plum, raisin, dark chocolate, booze, maybe a hint of sugar.

Taste: *head explodes*. That's right. That's really how much taste is packed into this brew. The taste is identical to the smell, strong, overbearing, right in your face, and completely unapologetic. This would more than likely kill an inexperienced drinker with the simple amount of flavor packed in there.

Mouthfeel: thick and chewy, just like I like it.

Drinkability: Just like any Imperial Stout, it shouldn't be drank for refreshment. It should only be drank when you really feel like a savory beer.

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 22 oz glass into a beeradvocate recommended pint glass.

About a finger-tip length of dark foamy, head... almost at points appearing a dark cherry in hues. Medium-sized to large bubbles that never fully diminish.

Sky black, thick dark fondue chocolate in appearance... Feels like it's completely engulfing the glass, and becoming its own entity as I let it warm...

Aromas of lots of roasted malt. Some notes of black licorice, bourbon vanilla and beachwood as the brew warms.

Surprising amount of citrus hop in first sips, which was completely unexpected. Expresso bitterness in between sips. Spices started loading up as the beer warmed, and gained subtle notes of a sort of smooth chocolate vodka / liquor (Black Russian?)... Accidently sent some of this brew down the wrong tube though, and the IBU's and alcohol were quite apparent.

Smooth mouthfeel, a little more carbonation than compared with a Guiness. Slight tingle with every sip when cold.

Wanted very much to enjoy this beer more than I did. But I feel like I've had better stouts. Maybe the 72% cacao w/ expresso nibs chocolate bar I accompanied withh the brew wasn't the right choice (too sweet)? Or I was just thinking about the review too much... All in all, maybe I just need to try and enjoy this beer more than once.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Comes out of the bottle like motor oil. Black; can't see through; minimal brown head on this pour. Looks heavy. Very nice appearance.

Smell: Lots of big and roasty going on here; espresso; chocolate; some alcohol; grassy hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pretty much follows the nose. Just big roasty, thick, chewy, bittersweet, chococolate, espresso, some sort of fruit(prune; fig; raisin?) Tiny hint of booze. Heavy. Big ups

Overall: When I think stouts 2013-14 I'll think of
1.) Tried and true N.C. Old Raspy 2.) Dark Horse Plead the 5th 3.) Founders Breakfast Stout 4.) Sierra Nevada Narwhal 5.) Grand Teton Black Cauldron and 6.) That one Deschutes porter and.... 7.) Great Divide Yeti!
I'd like to do a blind taste test between them all but the Yeti is super dank outta Denver. It's just a tad pricey is the only thing I can find fault in it. I want to give it all 4.75's but if I were to taste it stacked up against all those others as well as the other versions of Yeti i don't know I would rate it as high, so for that reason I lowered it.
Point is, Yeti is a decadent beer that packs a walloping 9.5% . If you're looking for an imperial stout and you've yet to find Yeti, look no further.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Awesome, pitch black with a carmel/coffee colored head that sticks around.

S - Sweet, dark roasted coffee and a little bit of burnt sugar

T - Big flavor! Malt of chocolate and a lot of roast flavors coming through. Alcohol deff peaks its head out. The malt is complemented with the hops which add to the complexity. Almost a licorice flavor that sticks with ya for a while.

M - Sticky with a little carbonation in mouth

D - some imperial stouts scare me or i enjoy the taste but they drink like straight booze this is drinkable. complex flavors and a sweetness all balanced

I enjoyed this beer very much

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at the Lost Dog Lounge in Ithaca, NY, inexplicably served in a plastic pint glass (whose shockingly effective insulation made it really, really hard to warm up).

Very thin dark tan head (par for the course on a Russian Imperial Stout with this much alcohol), but it definitely stuck around, even as I held my beer for twenty minutes or so to warm it up. Very nice lacing on the glass (well, plastic), and a dark, inky, opaque near-black.

Nice toffee and caramel aroma with some darker coffee and chocolate hiding back there. A little bit of herbal hops back there, too, and some nonspecific fruitiness. A big, pleasing smell overall.

Huge malty, toffee flavor, secondary on the chocolate and coffee flavors. The finish is beautiful; the alcohol and hops take it from an incredibly sweet brew to a nice, crisp dryness that lingers with some herbal flavors. Definitely a big, thick brew that coats the mouth and the tongue; very satisfying.

Big, tasty, and gets a lot right as far as I'm concerned. I would, however, definitely consider this a food beer. The first time I had it (from a bottle, not on tap), it was with barbecued spare ribs, and it was just about the best beer/food combination ever. On its own, it's a little harder to down, especially because it's not as much of a dessert beer as something like Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Jet black with a very creamy, thick tan head that doesn't want to go away. Good lacing. This is what a stout should look like.

S: Lots of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee. I smell more chocolate than coffee. Secondary aroma of spicy hops and alcohol also comes through.

T: Upfront it's loads of chocolate malt with coffee tinges. Hop flavor does a nice job supporting but certainly plays second fiddle. Aftertaste is of burned grain and bittersweet chocolate. Slight alcohol burn also.

M: My favorite part of this beer. It's exceptionally creamy; the mouthfeel reminds me of an ice cream float. Only thing that hurts it is that it's a little too carbonated.

D: The higher ABV and alcohol spiciness make it hard to have more than a couple of these at a time. Still, as far as Imperial stouts go, this is as drinkable as they come.

3.08/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost black. 1 finger, chocolate color head.

Smell of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. The nose is mostly sweet. I can also pick up an alcohol smell.

The taste starts off with very sweet malts, sweet chocolate, followed by roasted malts. I'm picking up this tangy, tart, syrupy flavor near the finish. Molasses, i think. It finishes with huge hops and a lingering bitterness

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Combine that with the high ABV and you get a sipping beer. Not very drinkable.

Overall, i thought this beer was ok. I like hoppy finishes in my beer but im used to it with an IPA/DIPA not with a stout. I like my stouts creamy, sweet, and lightly hopped. Also, i wasn't a big fan of this tangy taste i was getting on the finish. it was weird.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Thick, brown/black in color. no light penetrates. 2 fingers of tan/brown head.
S: roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and I think a little toffee. a light hint of hoppiness.
T: for being dominated by sweet, roasted flavors (chocolate, coffee, toffee) it has a very nice complexity.
M: creamy, thick and nicely carbonated. (personally would like more thickness, but I like motor oil)
D: A great beer for about two pints, but the alcohol and sweetness may get intense after that.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

A- This maybe the darkest beer I have ever drank. It's pitch black with a rust colored head that starts as a one finger but then leaves with a film on top. That leaves good lacing. Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

S- Smells like chocolate and alcohol with a slight bit of hoppiness.

T- Has a real bitter taste but not overwhelming. You can kinda taste the alcohol but the bitterness of the hops matches with it nicely.

M- Real crisp kind of a light feel for an imperial stout. You can almost feel the alcohol burning your mouth.

D- Too many of these would leave you in gutter. Probably two or three is all you can drink. But other then that its real easy drinking.

Note- The date on the bottle was from June of 06'.

Overall a good beer and I'm quite fond of it.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz. bottle, 3/11/11, poured into a shaker pint.

Mocha head very quickly receding to no head whatsoever. Some legs, but more of just a light brown smear left on the glass. Absolutely opaque.

The first smell that I notice is roasted, unmalted barley. Behind that, some cocoa and coffee.

Creamy mouthfeel, slightly burnt taste, nice hoppiness that compliments the burnt aroma, maybe too much, if this were my homebrew, I would probably drop the roastiness and see what happened. Very pleasant, a nice strong-tasting, thick stout to write this research journal article over. I like this...but I think Old Rasputin is better, more widely available, and cheaper.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled Jan-09 opened Dec-10

Appearance: extremely dark, nice head that disipates, excellent lacing in glass

Smell: most notably chocolate followed by a hint of coffee

Taste: bitter chocolate followed by a slight hint of coffee that lingers behind. slight aciditic feel that dissolves quickly leaving behind the chocolate/coffee flavor

Mouthfeel: coats mouth with pleasant aftertaste.

Drinkability: very pleasant; not overpowering but rather smooth with subtle aftertaste. Would definitely purchase again

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

From bomber without a date.

Pours black with a glorious tan head. Head has staying power and leaves lots of lacing.

This one smells sweet and candy-like with some raisins and coffee undertones.

This one follows its nose and tastes sweet as it hits your tongue. This one shows lots of toffee and a firm alcohol presence. This is quickly abated by chocolate and roasty coffee flavors. Sweetness lingers, but is overwhelmed by bitter hops. The aftertaste is bittersweet chocolate. Some fruits play a part but I can't put my finger on the taste.

Yeti is thick and chewy without a lot of carbonation. Right on.

Overall, Yeti tastes great and leaves you begging for more. Each sip brings more complexity and new flavors.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

blind tasting of this and the oak aged. The beer pours wonderfully black with a nice tan head that lingered for the whole drink. The Aroma is of chocolate and strong roasted malt. The flavor (chocolate, coffee) just goes on and on. This is a big beer full of flavor and lots of bitterness. If not for the oak aged comparison I would have rated it higher.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

A beauty of a thick pour. If you love stout and coffee this is for you. Deep, delicious and well balanced. Big start and long finish. The depth of rich flavor dominates this stout which is another big, bold and beautifully crafted beer. from Great Divide.Well done !

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

poured from 12oz bottle into st bernardus chalice.
great dark chocolate color while pouring. almost 1 finger head formed after finishing the pour, nice. mocha/hazelnut bubbles form after a few

smells of chocolate hops, this ones about 6 months old. also getting some dark fruit but hard to distinguish.

taste great with bitter chocolate and what almost taste like caramel. But the hops bite along with the alcohol. cant wait for a few to age...

rich and creamy with a nice warming burn as the glass goes down

drinkability will only improve with age. but don't get me wrong, I could drink 2 12oz servings fresh! great beer to rely on

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Beer pours dark as night, with rusty, ruddy and rich brown head.

S -Smokey and woody.

T - A very nice chocolate flavor, but still smokey. Great.

M - Very well balanced. Perfect body, slight carbonation, what I would expect from this style.

O - Man, I really dig this beer. I really enjoy a smokey flavor in stouts and porters. THis one was right up my alley.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance- Poured a jet black with a finger of thick brown, frothy head. It left good lacing and nice retention.

Smell- Nice chocolate, some ground cofee, after it warms up a bit you can definitly smell the alcohol.

Taste- The nose says it all, nice light chocolate and cofee flavor. The alcohol sting at the end balances everything out.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodies, a little sticky.

Drinkability- This is a great beer, goes down really smoothly.

A- dark black with a deep copper head that dissipates quikcly

S- smells like a regular stout, chocolate like smells

T- tastes like a pretty good stout, but nothing special. Chocolate, strong coffee, some malts, and bitter. Also has some hop bitterness as well. It's not one of the best Imperial stouts I've had, but it's good. Is pretty smooth with not much bitter bite that some low quality stouts have. Plenty of room for improvement though compared to some of the top Imperial Stouts

M- has a nice feel in the moth, very smooth

O- solid Imperial Stout, but is VERY overpriced. At this price I would be expecting one of the top Imperial Stouts and it's only above average, but not amazing. I'd look elsewhere for a top notch Imperial Stout. Was a good beer, but disappointed me after reading rave reviews.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Out of the 12oz bottle into my handy Lion-branded "stout" glass.. Poured well, with a small head. Dark as can be - nothing was showing through it even when held up to a window. After a sip, a tan-brown lacey head slowly crept back down into the glass. Some hints of carbonation in the mouth, along with definite roasted malt and wood flavors. Perhaps a hint of an un-sugared chocolate? Quite drinkable, this is a good beer!

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottled on 4-8-2009. Poured into my test mug.

A- Dark, thick black body. One finger of orangish brown head. Head recedes to a thin layer on top. Some lacing on the side too. This is a good looking brew.

S- Smells sweet like molasses and cocoa. Some alcohol reaching the nose too.

T- Chocolate and alcohol are the dominant tastes. Also some toasted malt and coffee flavors. I'm not noticing any hops at all. I'd like to taste a little hops to balance out the other strong flavors, and maybe to mask the alcohol taste a bit.

M- Thick and slick. Very nice. Leaves my lips sticky.

D- ABV aside, it is a very drinkable beer. Because of the higher ABV, it would have to be a slow sipper for me to drink more than one.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked it up from one of the many excellent selections of brew available at Whip-In. Poured into the only available glass at the time (pint).

A- A dark viscous pour, slick and velvety in the glass

S- Rich dark coffee and caramel notes

T- First impression, dark bitter taste evolves into a pleasant malt coffee flavor

M- Moderate carbonation, luscious mouth filling qualities.

D- Surprisingly drinkable, nice mellow finish adds to this

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company