Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +10%

Time to crack this baby open (and re-cork it, cause I don't feel like going through a whole bomber of this tonight) Poured about 6oz into a brandy snifter.

A: Pours an impenetrable pitch-black body, with a small, one finger mocha-colored head. The retention is good for 9.5%, and so is lacing. The residue coats the glass nicely, in typical RIS fashion.

S: Little bit of roast, some chocolate, and booziness. Nothing too fantastic here.

T: BIG. Not an easy beer to drink at all, but it doesn't purport itself to be. Better than the nose would indicate, with many layers of flavor; bitter dark chocolate, coffee, roast, smoke, raisins, figs, rum-like alcohol, and a nice hoppy bite to finish things off. Everything is balanced well, yet the taste is very in your face. NICE!

M: Very creamy overall, as expected. Medium-heavy body, with good, albeit quick fading, carbonation. Has a bit of a sticky pine hop finish that is unique, but meshes nicely with the other notes.

O: I admit, I'm biased toward big-ass RIS beers, but holy bajeezus. Worst I can say is that it's not particularly easy to digest its qualities (as it should be) and that the smell isn't amazing. Otherwise, this is a devastating combination of boldness and refinement that puts it high on the list of my favorite beers ever. Would I have it often? No, I'd have to be in the right mood to enjoy this. But those 3 or 4 times a year where I am in said mood? I'll be all over this like a fat kid on a Hershey bar.

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout:
For readers of my reviews, you know that I am working my way through porters and stouts.  At first, these dark and heavy beers were a bit much,  but they have grown on me.  My journey through the dark underworld of beer has lead me to the Yeti Imperial Stout.  With some trepidation I poured this dark elixir into a shaker glass.  Black as night, head like espresso, my hand shook as I lifted the glass to my lips.  A huge aroma came to greet me, and not just roasted malt, but flowery hops and spice, very inviting. The favor is big, but smooth and complex: toffee, vanilla and lots of fruity hops.  I have found other stouts abrasive, but not here.  The Yeti Imperial Stout is a milestone achievement in brewing.  Not for the faint of heart, but if you have some experience with stouts, this the Yeti is at the next level.

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance - Extremely dark, like espresso with a nice thick tan colored head. Leaves amazing lacing on the glass.

Smell - Very robust, some chocolate notes, rosted coffe notes, with the sweetness and twinge of the alcohol.

Taste - Has a very sweet and maltness to it but finishes slightly bitter from hops. Mild caramel, coffee, and chocolate flavors invade the taste buds

Mouthfeel - Very soothing on the palate, nice warming feel to it, carbonniation is perfect and gives you a very cozt feeling.

Overall - This is a fantastic beer. I was not much on imperial stouts at all. I often steered clear of them then somethin told me to try this one and now I am a closet stout lover and can not get enough of them.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opaque dark brown beer with a fine film of a head.

Aromas of licorice, roasted barley, alcohol spirits.

Flavor begins with strong roasted malts and licorice. Slight toffee sweetness. Alcohol is present and warms the throat. Strong bitterness from the hops, combines with the edgy roastiness and provides a mouth puckering experience. Finishes semi-dry.

Mouthfeel is a bit astringent and not as smooth as I'd hoped for. The malts get overpowered by the intensity of the roast and excessive hop bitterness. Overall not a bad RIS, but I've certainly had others that were more enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Review #100

poured from a 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-dark brown/black with about a 1 finger brown head that faded to about a 1/4" cap with some nice lacing

S-I get some piney hops at first then that quickly gives way to some chocolate malt and some smoky coffee

T-Starts out with some chocolate up front with some dark fruits maybe raisins and a little hint of vanilla before some pine hops finish

M-nice creamy texture full bodied

O-good easy to get ahold of (I assume based on the number of reviews although it isn't available here in Iowa) imperial stout

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Deep, black pour reminiscent of motor oil. Tons of dark lacing and a fat, brown head that lasts for hours.

S- perfumy hops, mellow booze, and woody essence. Big malts and a hint of chocolate. Nothing stands out in particular but there's a lot going on.

T- Deliciously deep with hints of caramel, cedar, dark chocolate, and piney hops. Layers of good flavor. Could benefit from a year of aging to mellow out the booze. mildly bitter.

M- very, very nice. fluffy but slick and meaty. mild carbonation. favorite imp. stout mouthfeel i've had thus far.

O-As a Wisconsinite i don't get Yeti often. I've had all the variations so it's about time i review the original. This is an everyday imperial stout for the stout lover. Not over the top in flavor, but somewhat approachable for an imperial stout, if that makes sense. Iconically american with big hops and mild chocolate notes. Yum.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company