Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
cpone

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A: Almost black, with a small but creamy cocoa head that last a few seconds. Wisps of the head remain on the surface.

S: Roasted chestnuts and dark chocolate. Mild coffee grind aroma.

T: Similar to the smell but coffee is more forceful in the taste, and dark chocolate is closer to bakers chocolate. Mild hop bitterness and alcohol is hidden nicely.

M: Medium body, was expecting a little more structure. But not a let down.

D: Very easy to drink.

12-30-2010 00:57:29 | More by cpone
Brez07

Maine

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Can't read the bottled on date but pretty sure it's sometime this year

A: Obsidian colored, leaving an initial 1/2 finger worth of head. This disappears within a minute

S: Dark coffee and roasted malt. Hint of charcoal it seems. Pretty big hop character for a stout, with some citrus notes coming through

T: All roasted malt here. Tastes like I'm drinking soot. Very earthy. Big smokey flavor. At the very end, I pick up some bitter chocolate

M: Pretty average for an imperial stout. Medium, somewhat creamy. Roasty, earthy aftertaste

D: Not a fan. Way too roasty. The smokey flavor was very overwhelming. Finished about half and gave the rest to my girlfriend (who seemed to like it)

12-29-2010 01:40:18 | More by Brez07
aranheaney

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a bomber into a DFH Snifter:

A-Jet black, some dark khaki head (not much) with a bit of lacing, looks really cool

S-very strong molasses, coffee and some licorice

T-good, some noticeable bite from the abv, seems to have some more richness and depth as it warms

M-also very good, no real aftertaste, at least nothing unpleasant

D-definitely a sipper, but a good variation on the style from folks who clearly have a handle on what they are doing

12-29-2010 01:36:43 | More by aranheaney
BigBlacke

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to a buddy of mine I am finally trying this one. Pours and opaque black with a 1/2 inch tan frothy head that simmers down to a ring. Smells of bittersweet chocolate, wood and coffee. Yeti tastes of dark roasted malt, mocha and wood. Yeti has a creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation. I find drinkability to be high due to my shear respect for the brew. Love it.

12-28-2010 23:02:20 | More by BigBlacke
jmdrpi

4.25/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle, dated bottled April 2010. poured into goblet

pitch black in color with maybe the darkest tan head I've seen yet. good head retention.

aroma is typical of the style, with notes of bitter chocolate and coffee. taste follows with the same flavors. the beer is thick, coats the mouth, good for sipping. I didn't notice any alcohol burn. good to balance a rich dinner.

12-28-2010 04:38:40 | More by jmdrpi
Cheesemoose

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle in my brand new snifter.

3 fingers of head. Deep and dark, this baby is near pitch black. Mocha head leaves nice rings as it falls, clumping on the edges.

Burnt espresso beans, mocha edges, and a deep alcohol burn.

Wow. A great balance is portrayed on this one. Mocha is the most present semblance on this one. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and a woodiness that is surprising. A bit of mild citrus hops come out the play sharply, with a noticeable bite, but are well mellowed by this heavily malted beer.

Super rich, resonant and foreboding body. Not the thickest, but definitely close to motor oil. Thick as it courses its way across the tongue.

The alcohol comes out quite a bit as it warms, giving you a very big warmth. With that in mind, along with the heavy hop presence, it would be best to mellow for at least a year. Also best to limit yourself to one.

12-27-2010 02:02:03 | More by Cheesemoose
keithmurray

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle poured into my Duvel Tulip glass

Appearance - pours a jet black/eggplant color with some tan head

Smell - Coffee beans, vanilla, dark chocolate

Taste - Deep roasted coffee flavor, hints of vanilla, black licorice and dark choocolate, malts

mouthfeel - highly carbonated, full bodied, this is great for a winter night, bitter upfront, creamy texture

drinkability - price brings drinkability down on this one and at 9.5%, this is a sipper, there may be some better value out there in the category of Russian Imeprial Stouts, but this was no doubt an enjoyable beer

12-24-2010 23:51:41 | More by keithmurray
Chadpaq

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass. Bottled on October 20th, 2010.

This is definitely the darkest beer I've ever had. As I pour it out into the glass, I'm trying to recall another liquid I've seen that's this dark; none comes to mind. The beer itself is so heavy that it almost has a sort of viscous appearance, but I know it's merely a product of the insane amount of malt in this baby. The head is surprisingly huge and seems to be flecked with dark cinnamon and chocolate. It takes its time to recede back into my wine glass. This beer is (and I know I've said this before, but I REALLY mean it this time) absolutely gorgeous. I do not think a stout could look better than this...nay, I KNOW it. Five in this category.

The smell's initially a bit shocking. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm hit initially by a strong odor of quality tobacco, followed by chocolate, licorice, and a nice yeasty quality. This beer simply SMELLS warm. Perfect for the night I'm enjoying it. I don't think a single-malt scotch could get the job done any better than this Yeti. The alcohol finally emerges in the nose as I proceed and it warms, but it isn't at all unwelcome. The smell, despite how intricate it is, is nearly perfect. If the alcohol were concealed a BIT more, it would indeed have garnered a five in this category as well. As it stands, there isn't much more it can do. Nearly flawless in the nose.

As it hits my lips, I first taste a melted bar of 80% Cocoa Belgian chocolate, but I'm instantly bombarded with copious complications to this initial claim. A hint of biscuit, and a distinct coffee flavor pokes its head out at the culmination of the sip. I'm no stout expert, but this one certainly fits the bill of what I'd imagine the "perfect stout" to taste like.

Minimal carbonation, subdued probably by the extreme malt content. Smooth, liquid chocolate moving around the inside of my mouth. Feel is incredible. Fluid, yet thick; Flowing, yet full. I'm very impressed.

9.5% puts severe hindrance on consumption amounts. But I'll be feeling quite good at the end of this bomber. There was a lot of hype around this beer, but I daresay Yeti has lived up to it.

12-24-2010 16:56:29 | More by Chadpaq
mattkoon

South Carolina

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

the great divide imperial stout is a good cold weather drink. the taste is ripe with chocolate barley which gives this beer a great blackened flavor. strong bitterness and a hearty aroma come through. on top of the great flovor, there is a yeti on the label- which really goes well with the taste and strength of this beer.

12-22-2010 12:05:20 | More by mattkoon
SolomonGrundy

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Just got a shipment in from the K&L boys...Much love to Bryan Brick, the beer buyer there!! Three fro GDBC and three from Haandbryggeriet!!!

Pours an inky, opaque black like the soul of Glen Benton. An upside down cross-crown of pure evil, dark tan head rises up a couple fingers and then recedes into the pit again. The lacing is sticky like the lake of fire...My mouth waters...Very roasty chocolate malt spews forth from the glass to your nose. Right now this strikes me as less an Imperial and more a rich Oatmeal stout. I like the hint of hops in the aroma profile - like someone sitting in Purgatory and not yet released to the bowels of Hell...Oh my - it's an Imperial Stout alright! The flavor is amazing. Super rich and malty, but with a creamy texture and flavor that keeps the malt TANG, that is usually more like Satan's Trident, from piercing your taste buds. This is so robust it's like a sipping whiskey. The alcohol at 9.5ABV is hardly masked, and it shows it's demonic head right around the middle, crushing your tattered soul and then hanging out while it watches your demise. I can't get over the huge malt character. It's very close to Rasputin in "OOMPH!", but smoother in every facet. The finish lines you up for Satan's call, and lets out an enormous hop burst, belching it into your face. Very nice and refreshing, for a huge Imperial. Super-expensive at $7.99/bomber, so drinkability suffers a little. Not a sessionable beer, either. This is for your last supper...

What I like most: The huge malt profile in the flavor.

What I like least: the price and astringent, yet short, hit of alcohol.

Verdict: Delicious, enormous and like Satan - only right for some.

12-22-2010 02:18:29 | More by SolomonGrundy
beersensei305

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Active review from a bottle:

A- pours a pitch black into the tulip glass reminds me some realy dark choclate milk with a perfect coffee colored head. The head has great retention as it site in my glass and sticks firmly to the rim with good lacing.

S- the smell isnt as't a vibrant as I like. Sweet malty and chocolaty

T: Roasted malt front, with a range of bittersweet and chocolate malts, coffee and caramel tones. As I swirl the brew through my mouth I taste some sweetness fromvdark fruits. There is some hoppy flavors too. Great complexity.

M: Smooth! A bit chewy and thick/creamy

D: With most russian imperails that I have tried I find them to be too overbearing, with too much complexitiy and no real balance... this beer is complex but balanced you can pick out the flavors that make it great. I am glad I finaly tried it and this is a beer I will try ove rand over again. Bravo!

12-19-2010 03:13:21 | More by beersensei305
Zimbo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Superb very intense mix of coffee, dark chocolate and earth on the nose. Thick and black. One of the darkest heads I've seen in a long time leaving a rather delicate doily lacing. A rather thick creamy body but structurally it does seem slightly underpowered for all that flavour.
Very dark bitter, coffee, chocolate and a whiff of liquorice to taste with a surprisingly burpy intensely dry ending.
Decadent and luxurious. Mmmmm.

12-18-2010 07:04:25 | More by Zimbo
TCHopCraver

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Reviewed from notes written on 12/3/10.

Yeti pours scorched engine oil black with a fast disappearing, dark mocha head into my uber large snifter. When swirled and agitated a bit, the head returns and retains well. The lacing is rather sticky with vertical lines of small dots.

Very toasty malts and a strong hop presence lead me to smell notes of chewing tobacco. Really strong chewing tobacco. Other aromas include baseball glove leather, anise, cigar, dark chocolate, mocha-latte, and roasted peanuts. This is an original smell that makes me excited to imbibe.

At first, that chewing tobacco tang combines with a fine roasted malt flavor that really bombards the bitter receptors of my palate. I have to believe that that bitter tang is also the result of copious hops in this brew. As that initial tang washes away, a nice balance of toffee, coffe, and dark chocolate flavors emerge. Wow, this is right up there with Storm King for huge hop Character in an Imperial Stout.

A thrilling combination of bitter tang and a coating, rich fullness make for a very unique mouthfeel. It's just a little more aggressive than I would generally like in an IS MF, but I rate it high for excitement and originality.

I will certainly try Yeti again, but I might age my next bottle for awhile. This particular bottle had roughly seven months on it and it still felt raw and aggressive on my palate. I generally prefer slightly more mellow Imperial Stouts and I imagine this would turn into that with a little more bottle time.

12-17-2010 16:40:58 | More by TCHopCraver
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Approximately 8 months old.

A- Pours more of a black than I can recall ever seeing for a stout. Good carbonation and head as well.

S- Roasted malts, coffee, and hops.

T- Everything that I love about a good RIS, and blended amazingly. Begins with some roasted malt that you couldn't miss if you tried, and then a bit of a dark roast coffee flavor comes in. 30 seconds in and the chocolate starts to come out and after about a minute after notes of wood and caramel sweetness are emphasized. I've found a drink that seems to be made just for me. The hop bitterness really makes this for me. It accentuates all the flavors so well. I even taste a little bit of hop flavor aside from bitter after 8 months of aging. If this beer is better without the age it would blow my mind fresh.

M- Full, creamy, smooth, and dry. A little bit of stickiness to it.

D- It couldn't get much more drinkable. It's not session beer material, and you have to watch yourself with it, but for a RIS, it's only 9.5% which is nowhere to be found at all.

I can't say enough good things about this beer. It blew me away.

12-16-2010 23:49:29 | More by BBP
alleykatking

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours from 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a black as night color. 2 finger mocha colored head shows medium retention. Streaky and ringy lacing on the sides of the glass when I drink this one down.

S- Tons of roasted malts on the front end of this beer. The middle has chocoalte malts coming through a ton with a hint of darker fruits. Some light hops in the back end give some sort of balance to the aroma.

T- Tons of roasted malts with a nice coffee taste. Middle of the beer shows more chocolate malts that range in the light semi-sweet/bittersweet flavor. Some light darker fruits come through toward the ending with a nice hop bitterness that balanced out the overall flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Roasted and chocolate malts left on the palate. Warming alcohol and chocoalte malts left in the aftertaste. Flavors were blended well and set together for the style. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer was a nice drinker. ABV was nicely shown and not over the top. The hops in this was a little faded I thought.

12-16-2010 04:01:43 | More by alleykatking
nhindian

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Bottled on April 16, 2010.

A - Pours an incredibly viscous black, slowly glugging out of the bottle, it doesn't appear to be building any head, and after making it a bit more hard, still little. As the carbonation rushes back up, however, it resurges into rocky, 2.5-fingered mocha colored head with good retention. Absolutely pitch black, only the tiniest sliver of chocolate brown color on the bottom edge. Good lacing as well.

S - Smell is almost entirely bittersweet chocolate and slightly roasted malts. A little bit of espresso, but not much at all. Smells hoppy as well. Would compare this Victory's Storm King, and the only beer I've had since then to have this type of profile.

T - Taste follows the nose faithfully. Again, almost all bittersweet chocolate, mild coffee, and hop goodness. Rich and creamy, everything goes down very smoothly and everything flows together a bit nicer. This one has a little bit of age on it, so the hops have faded a bit, which I can only imagine helps everything meld together.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy, not surprising given the thickness of the pour. Finish is long and smooth, and is bitter with chocolate and hops.

D - Drinkability is high. The alcohol is masked incredibly well, and there isn't one taste that dominates or hurts the flavor. I would like to try this fresh to see how the hops add to it, but I would gladly enjoy one this age or older as well.

12-15-2010 02:00:23 | More by nhindian
CoastieSimon

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

What a brew. Poured into a Guinness Pint Glass. Great two finger head, brownish colored. Black as night, could not see through it even when held up to the light! Smeel was of Coffe and Booze. Tasted like dark chocolate at the beg, with a coffee aftertaste. Smooth as silk. At almost 10% ABV drinking one is all you need to get you through a cold winters night. Will def. be buying more of these.

12-15-2010 00:30:15 | More by CoastieSimon
SteveO1231

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz. bottle from Harvest fine Wine and Liquors, W. Hartford, CT. Bottled MAR 25 2010.

Pours like jet black motor oil with probably the thickest layer of dark-tan foam I've ever seem. Looks like chocolate pudding great lacing.

Awesome aroma of roasted malts, chocolate truffles and hints of dark fruits I smells like an indulgent piece of chocolate cake from Cheesecake Factory.

Yeti is full-bodied, a thick n' creamy texture leaves a syrupy slickness on the palate. Dessert in a glass.

Up front sweetness of caramelized sugars, toffee, bittersweet chocolate and dark fruits. A huge roasted flavor comes in midway and finishes dry and bitter like espresso. There is a delayed onset of earthy hop bitterness looms on the palate.

Great beer, complex RIS. The ABV warms my cheeks. Excellent beer to sip on a cold December night in New England!

Cheers!

12-14-2010 01:38:23 | More by SteveO1231
mattsdenney

Tennessee

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into globe glass. Bottled on 10/20/10.

A: Pours thick and black w/ a very thin light brown head.

S: Heavy scents of coffee and chocolate, sweet.

T: Semi-sweet taste of chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Finishes with fairly strong hop bitterness.

M: Thick and smooth. Good feeling of slickness.

D: My experience with the style is limited so I'm still getting the hang of typical tastes, feels, etc. Overall I like this beer. Great for a cold night watching football.

12-13-2010 00:24:23 | More by mattsdenney
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bomber into DFH snifter, bottled May 11 2010
Re-review of 12 oz bottle into tulip on 2/8/12

A - Pours black like used motor oil, with a finger of beautiful brown head. So damn dark, light cannot escape. Beautiful brown head laces the glass. Retention is average.

S - Dark roasted malt, some dark fruity sweetness. Chocolate and a bit of booze. Coffee. Very pleasant.

T - Everything from the nose is here and play off each other really well. There's coffee and chocolate, some slight fruit sweetness. The coffee isn't too bitter and the chocolate is more akin to milk chocolate than dark. Bitter coffee and bitter dark chocolate, only a touch of hop bitterness. Hops are mild-mannered and don't do too much, taking a backseat to the bevy of other tastes in this fine beer. There is certainly a presence of alcohol here, but it actually helps to balance things out a bit, adding a bit of a kick where the hops may be lacking. Very tasty and one of my favorite base Imperial stouts that is at least reasonably readily available.

M - Full body. Creamy and thick. Medium carbonation provides a sharpness that isn't quite right.

O - Very damn drinkable. While I can certainly taste the 9.5% ABV, it didn't stop me from finishing this in record time. This will always be a favorite of mine.

12-12-2010 23:16:41 | More by greenmonstah
zachary80

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottled on dec 21 2009
Current date oct 2 2010

Poured into a pint glass. I tried holding it up to the light, nothing but black at any angle. There is a small but surprisingly good head to start which then depletes into a brown ring

Smells like sweet chocolate and dark malts

Tastes like an awesome, complex RIS. Perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Pleasant aftertaste. Get your specifics from another reviewer :)

Heavy/thick mouthfeel. Very good drinkability for the 9.5%

12-11-2010 04:45:51 | More by zachary80
JHamm

Delaware

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottled Jan-09 opened Dec-10

Appearance: extremely dark, nice head that disipates, excellent lacing in glass

Smell: most notably chocolate followed by a hint of coffee

Taste: bitter chocolate followed by a slight hint of coffee that lingers behind. slight aciditic feel that dissolves quickly leaving behind the chocolate/coffee flavor

Mouthfeel: coats mouth with pleasant aftertaste.

Drinkability: very pleasant; not overpowering but rather smooth with subtle aftertaste. Would definitely purchase again

12-10-2010 23:10:21 | More by JHamm
FosterJM

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

94th review on BA
Bottle to pint.

12oz. Bottle

App- It's a big black pour with very little head on it.

Smell- Its a mix of smells on this. Some malt in the front, followed by Chocolate, the some coffee then some malt and eventually some hops.

Taste- Very few words needed here, and I quote " BIG stout little bottle" Awesome beer.

Mouth- Very complex because you see the pour and thinks its like oil but its not. Very smooth.

Drink- I want all the other ones now. I've created a monster.

12-09-2010 03:48:37 | More by FosterJM
OakedCanuck

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +4%

22oz bottle poured into snifter.

I have had this beer many times and thought I would put a little something on 'paper'. I make a point to keep my cellar stocked with all versions of Yeti. This black as night beer gives you a very nice mocha brown head that accompanies you through the rest of your glass. Roasted chocolate, coffee, sweet sugars are the smell. The taste follows the nose, delicious. The sweetness isn't too overbearing and is perfectly balanced with the hops, just enough bitterness to notice but not in your face. This heavy beer is super creamy and so easy to drink. The only bad part is that you'll want to drink as much as possible, which, with an ABV pushing 10%, might not be a great idea! Amazing beer.

12-06-2010 18:57:41 | More by OakedCanuck
kevinconroy

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +4%

A-This is one of the sexiest beers i have poured. It looks amazing. No light will pass through this beer very black. For the style this beer is a bench mark

S-Smell's like a stout. Good smell

T-This beer is amazing. It taste like a chocolate coffee wonder. Splashing this around in my mouth I find a nice initial chocolate coffee flavor and then it is finished with a great bittering that surrounds my salivation glands

M-Great mouth feel very creamy; very rich

D-At 9.5% you would think that this beer would be a heavy hitter, but it is actually quite subtle. Very easy to drink...very easy to drink a lot before you even notice

This beer is exceptional no more needed to say

12-05-2010 01:53:26 | More by kevinconroy