Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Jet-black body with an aggressive deep tan head that lasts throughout the beer. A substantial sticky lacing clings to the glass and hangs around for the duration.

Wow, the hearty aroma wafts from the glass and I can smell it from about a foot and a half away after the pour. Generous roasted malt and toffee, but also abundant hop aroma as you get closer.

Amazing deep flavors of roasted malt and caramel to chocolate; quite an impressive balance of sweetness and bitterness.

Delightfully thick with mild to medium carbonation and abundant flavor character.

This is a sipper, but man could I enjoy a couple in one sitting. It's just so good, you crave another.

CHADMC3, Nov 08, 2008

Well, I've never given an all 5 review before, but I can't fault this beer at all. If I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life this would be it.

A: Pitch black with a deep tan head, which lasts well considering the alcohol level of this beer.

S: Fresh, citrusy hops aroma dominates with dark, sweet malts coming through underneath.

T: An amazing explosion of flavour. Spicy, citrus hops; sweet and roasty malts; a perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness in the mouth followed by a pleasant bitter astringent aftertaste which lasts forever...

M: Rich and smooth in the mouth, with a pleasant astringency after swallowing.

D: Very refreshing considering the strength of this beer, and not cloying or tiring - an easy drinker - dangerously so.

All in all, I have to rate this as my favourite beer - for home drinking at least. For an evening in the pub I might prefer Timmy Taylor's Landlord but for quiet appreciation, this is the one.

BarryNL, Nov 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed on draft in the Great Divide tap room while in Denver.

A: Pours a perfect deep dark black with a small but tight khaki colored head. Good retention with layer after layer of lace.

S: Nice charred malt up front with nice tones of bitter chocolate. Hints of molasses and coffee.

T: The taste is very rich and complex. Dark roasted malts and chocolate dominate. Hints of dark fruit peeks thru the bitter coffee in the middle. Bold bitter hops in the finish.

M: Medium in body very rich; downright smooth and creamy. Even better on draft than in a bottle.

D: Very good. I really enjoyed sitting in the tap room watching the brewers at work while sipping this gem.

tpd975, Nov 05, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up a single in fort collins and have been excited for it for a while. Here goes.

A: poured an opaque black with a huge brown three finger head. Excellent clumpy lacing. This is dark and enticing.

S: initially the hop character really pops out. There is also a huge chocolate presence. Coffee. There is also an interesting caramel hint in there. Piney hops as well.

T: this one is very bitter initially. Very heavy on the coffee flavors. Dark roasted coffee is the most present. Cocoa powder chocolate flavors. Hops aren't well defined but are piney. Interesting and complex.

M: a little thin for the style. Bitterness lingers a while the beer nicely coats the mouth.

D: fair. This one bomber is enough for me. I enjoy it but there are some better examples out there.

pokesbeerdude, Nov 01, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Yeti, Yeti, Yeti....this is definitely one hairy giant of a stout! Think this is from '04 can't be sure though. Aroma is silky smooth lots of mellow chocolate, raisins, plums, and tons of roasted malt with a touch of hops. Black pour with an ample head and some lacing what a great surprise for an imperial, for that I give it the tops. Mouthfeel is well blended and exceptionally smooth, just the right burn from the abv to round out another top score. Awesome flavor, I believe that this has been sitting for at least a couple of years. Incredibly mellow and well blended. Heavy thick malts with a complimenting sweetness matched by a trace of bittering hops. Great stout, great label, and well priced This is a must try.

kinger, Oct 29, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Found a 4-pack with the new labels at Oak Tree this weekend. I guess this will be about as fresh as I'll find this beer, as there are no bottling dates indicated. I plan to drink one now and every 3-6 months to see how this comes along. Into my snifter

A: Pours a pitch black with a dense one-finger dark brown head with great retention. As the head recedes, it leaves a good deal of foam on the side of the glass. Very appealing.

S: I'd seriously forgotten how hoppy this beer is! Lots of aggressive citrus (lemon and orange zest) hops up front with an equally intense dark chocolate with just the hint of creaminess to keep this from being overly bitter. There's some coffee grounds in there too. As it warms up, you get some dark fruit character as well. All in all, wonderfully balanced and wonderfully complex.

T: Holy crap on a stick, this is fantastic. Starts off with an equally potent dark chocolate with a solid hoppy bitterness to balance it out with coffee and cream thrown in to balance it out. This is simply spectacular in balance! In addition, it has some vinous character with a dark fruit/red wine character coming through on the bitter and creamy finish

M: Medium-to-big in body that is silky smooth on the palate with a soft, lush carbonation and a wonderfully bitter finish. I can't possibly ask for more

D: This is going way too fast. I could probably drink another tonight

Notes: I usually dislike the aggressively hoppy stouts and porters but this beer shows me that it _is_ possible to brew a hoppy stout that I like. Exceptional stuff. This makes me even more intrigued to try Darkness. Time to ISO?

DefenCorps, Oct 28, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4%

A: Looks like something I shouldn't be drinking, which I like in a beer. I would say darker than Guinness with a frothy brown head that soaps up the glass.

S: Gives off different kinds of smells, the strongest to me seems to be a blueberry toffee. They're basically dead on accurate with the label.

T: Heaven. Very smooth, not bitter. Again.. blueberry. Makes me wonder why I haven't found this earlier.

M: Not too thick, not too thin. Not extremely carbonated but gives a nice tingle to the throat. Best of all, no disgusting aftertaste. Actually it leaves my teeth feeling clean, I'd swear it was a breath freshener.

D: Very smooth, keeps my attention and wanting more because each sip is something new.

xhermit, Oct 28, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a very dark brown in color, we'll just call it black. A very nice inch of brown head forms on the pour. Smell is heavily roasted malts and some nice coffee. I was expecting a ton of hops in the nose, but thankfully they're not there. More of the hops show up in the taste, but still, for the better, not as much as was aniticipated. This is much better than I remember it being. I think with some age this would be a very good beer. Comparable to, dare I say it, Bells Expedition. Full on the mouthfeel and nice.

FtownThrowDown, Oct 24, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle purchased some time ago at - I think - Jim's Homebrew in Spokane. According to the label, this was bottled in February of 2007. Brought out to commemorate a team I root for actually winning a game yesterday.

Poured a tar-black color, with an inch of mocha-colored foam. Lace was left on the sides of the glass in a pattern reminiscent of that found on the sides of your average tiger! Weird...

From the nose I get dark, dried fruits like dates and raisins, cherries, chocolate, brown sugar and coffee.

The taste is similar to the mouthfeel, but more sweet than I would have expected. It's not cloying at all, and is, in fact, pretty good. Still, I'd like things to be a little more bitter and roasty.

Slick, coating mouthfeel.

This won't make me forget Abyss anytime soon, but still a very tasty Impy stout, and I'm happy to toast EWU for a great halftime turnaround against Montana State. I'll be drinking this again.

woemad, Oct 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours a rich motor oil and Colombian coffee black. The head is a compressed dark brown chocolate marshmallow that looks delicious. Recedes quickly leaving the same rich tinted lacing.

S: Roasted chocolate coffee malts coupled with a surprisingly big pine hops. Aromas of toasted caramelized dark fruits splashed with spiced toffee, vanilla, and milk chocolate.

T: The sweetened candied chocolate and caramel tastes are perfectly tinged with hops bitterness. Slight brown sugar mocha with sweet ripened raisins, burnt plums, and subtle scorched piney citrus tang. Perfect roasted malts and hops complexity. This was only a 12oz and the ABV had a nice little kick.

M: Mouth feel is thick, rich, and massively creamy.

D: I was very partial to this beer because of the hops. This couples nicely with game 7 of the ALCS which is being played over the radio. I plan on picking up quite a few bombers for both drinking and aging.

erikm25, Oct 20, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle in to a goblet.

Pours a dark black with a dark tan thick clingy head.

Smell is initially hoppy with pine and grapefruit. Second is roasted malt.

Taste is completely different than the smell. Sharp chocolate and coffee. If I liked coffee I would rate it higher.

Chewy mouthfeel that is very full.

Very complicated beer that is a sipping delight.

aubuc1, Oct 17, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

Bomber poured into my Meantime snifter, Yeti is pitch black with a burnt tan/light brown head, large, dense and long lasting, leaving sticky lace.

Smell is strong, even at the colder serving temp, booze soaked cured fruits and roasted grains, chocolate, prominent citrus hops. Similar aroma from some of the black, west coast style IPAs, I like how citrus hops work with dark malts. As it warms, the chocolate really dominates, wow - this is definitely best served cellar temp or warmer nose wise, although taste suffers once it hits room temp, too astringent with the booze and roast.

Taste is very robust, big maltiness and bright hoppy backbone. Roasty and dry, with a bitter, ashy finish. Not bad, awfully assertive.

Mouthfeel is thick, with a full carbonation

Drinkability is pretty good, even for what I assume is a pretty young beer, just judging by the big hop presence - I just grabbed from my local store's cooler this afternoon. Lots of flavors, they could use rounding out for sure, but it is nice to taste them so overtly. Nevertheless, it's a long commitment to finish the bomber unless your forcing yourself.

ccrida, Oct 16, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

22oz bomber, poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Viscous, dark, midnight black and topped with a inch of thick and creamy, cola-colored, head. Not too much retention in the head department, but still some nice lacing left behind for a beer this size.

S: Very strong, fresh spicy hops, mild medical/piny aromas mixed with the standard creamy chocolate and coffee that creates a beguiling mix, but perhaps just the slightest bit too much hoppiness.

T/MF: Initial sips are quite dry and full of bitter hops, given a bit of time to warm this beer really opens up and deepens in complexity. Nutty coffee and chocolate mix together with a mild booziness, then closes with a return to the initial nuttiness that defined the opening, but even stronger this time and brought together with molasses, slight notes of bourbon and a solid amount of toffee and caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is not all full as I thought it would be/ what I want it to be, just the slightest bit watery on the palate, but otherwise quite strong.

D: Whatever the mouthfeel lacks, the complexity and sheer tastiness of the beer more than makes up for the slight disappointment in the mouthfeel. A beer deserving of its accolades.

bluemoonswoon, Oct 12, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle courtesy of edelweiss - thanks! Poured into an Allagash flute.

Appearance: Pours a deep, thick, practically black stream of motor oil, glug, slosh, slap down into the bottom of the flute. The moderate-to-aggressive pour yielded a two-and-a-half finger deep chocolate head with great retention that never really fades and finally settles into a still-impressive mound of cocoa-colored fluff. Amazing-looking lacing, too - huge pockets with gaping holes, like a net strewn along the edges fo the glass.

Aroma: Hops dominate the initial smell - spice, leafyness, citrus. Pure cocoa powder follows, with hints of chocolate-covered raisins, fruity, complex alcohol esters, and plenty of other complex fruity notes. A very full-bodied and complex aroma.

Taste: A step down, I think, but still damn good. I had the Oak Aged Yeti before I had this one, and honestly, I think there are some "oak"ish notes in this beer even without the aging - I get hints of wood and vanilla on the edges of this one. The dominant notes are dark chocolate, some milky, heavy cream-like sugars, more coffee than you'd expect from the nose, a moderate level of hop bitterness and spice, raisins, and only the faintest hint of warming, smooth alcohol. Very well balanced, and sweet without being cloying or too sweet - there are plenty of dry, toasted astringencies here.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, chewy, milky, and fairly even, but surprisingly big-bubbled, which lends a little bit of roughness to the whole experience.

Drinkability: A damn good RIS with a lot of very good complex notes, a reasonable abv% (9.5% is up there, but by no means near the ceiling for the style), and a very nice balance with everything - sweet and dry malt notes, alcohol, hop bitterness and notes, etc. Stylistically, this is one of the most "drinkable" RISs I've ever had the pleasure of. It's definitely one to try, and another great brew from Great Divide. I don't have access to any of their products here in VA, but they're available in pretty much every surrounding state (damndest thing), so I never really got around to trying all of them until recently - I've been missing out!

CrellMoset, Oct 11, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Tonight was an Imperial Stout night, so I decided I would visit one that I do not partake in often, Yeti Stout from Great Divide. I poured this one in to a Rapscallion snifter glass. Color was motor oil black, with a large dark tanned head show. Bitter chocolate, caramel, earth, faint mint, and booze come through in the nose. Dark and milk chocolate meet quite nicely in the flavor, with a breath of hops, and acrid bitter finish. Very robust in body, one to sip for sure. For some reason this one has always given me a very heavy buzz that other Imperial Stouts have not. That being said, this is one to be wary of as far as strength. On the flip side, this is one of the best stouts out there IMO. A true beast of a beer that I should go for more than I do. Beautiful drinking here, Cheers

jamie2dope, Oct 10, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle served in a tulip glass.

L - black brew with a creamy brown head that left thick sheets of lacing on my glass.

S - bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee aroma.

T - dark roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavors are fantastic. Light taste of alcohol as it warms up.

F - full bodied, thick and creamy feel.

D - high abv is the only thing holding this one back from being rated higher.

JoeyBeerBelly, Oct 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I like the look of this one, pours from the bottle a very dark, nearly black color with about two fingers worth of dark brown fluffy head.

Smell is heavy on chocolate, malt and coffee. A little hops and alcohol can be appreciated as the beer warms a little.

Taste is crazy bitter, right along the lines of bitter baker's chocolate. It's smooth though with an end that is malty and an aftertaste that is distinctly coffee, like good coffee (think starbucks without the burnt aftertaste). There is seriously very little sweetness here, but it is a very complex taste with hops shining through here and there and dark malt making up much of the base of the flavor.

Mouthfeel does not disappoint either, with sort of a velvet creamy mouthfeel upfront that bubbles just enough to make it not feel like a syrup.

Overall this is a very drinkable imperial stout. I would say it tops my list of overall favorite dark beers. Would highly recommend to anyone with a flair for dark beer.

Nowhereman529, Oct 05, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

(My 100th beer rating on BA!)

Served from tap at MnNaulty's Bier Markt in Cleveland, Ohio. It is the "stout of the week" this week at Bier Markt.

A Poured from tap into clear tulip glass. Black body with no light coming through. Very little head. It is very much like other Imperial Stouts that I have seen and all of them have an impressive appearance.

S Dark chocolate, Darkness.

T Great taste, and maybe my favorite stout that I have ever tasted. I really believe that the taste could not be better for the style. There is certainly the sweetness and the molasses of a stout but there is a chocolately inviting taste that I do not always experience with stouts.

M Heavy for sure, lingers in mouth long after beer has been swallowed.

D The most drinkable stout that I have had. I finished my tulip glass in about 5 minutes but really I can only have one of these due to the heaviness, the high ABV.

Notes: I am not a fan of stouts but this is an excellent one. I have had 5 to 10 stouts but this is my favorite.

adamette, Oct 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Tasted this back to back with the Oak Aged Yeti.

a - Black balck, tan creamy head, two fingers

s - Nice and rich, but not so strong.

t - Nice and typical RIS. Fairly bitter at the finish.

m - Thick, smooth/rocky.

d - super high. 9.5% is hard to believe.

Delicious beer. I could easily make this my house RIS if it was more readily availablee. Delicious.

jojox, Oct 03, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a bomber into my Ommegang snifter.
This is a cellard 2006 bottle.

Poured pitch black, not rigerous, but not gentle.
3 Finger brown fluffy head, leaving super thick clumps of lace on the glass. This is probably the thickest lace I've come across on a beer, leading to a 5.0 on appearance.

Smell is chocolate toasted grain, coffee, sweet cream, mild vanilla, with a hint of alcahol.

Upfront its thick and creamy, with a bit more carbonation. Rich roasted chocolate malt character. Through the middle the sweetness drops out. Dry in finish with a zesty hop linger.
Very smooth all the way through with a faint cry at the finish from the alcahol.

The head on this beer is awsome as is the thick clumps of lace. IMHO its the beers greatest attribute. But the beer is damn fine as well. This is not ment as a stab, but just a highlight of how great the retention, head and lace are.

Buebie, Sep 30, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

first, let me just suggest that if you have the opportunity to try this beer and it's oak-aged counterpart, try this one first. It's definitely not bad at all, but the oak-aged is better. Much smoother with greater drinkability. But back to this one here. A lot about it seemed like just a bit above avg imperial stout affair. Pours a super dark ebony with dark head. Smells and tastes very, very roasted. Lots of roasted malt and some dark chocolate, but with a nice presence of hops as well that is particularly detecable in the back of themouth and aftertaste. Again in reference to the oak aged, this ones drinkability ranks a little lower as it seems a lot thicker and more syrupy with real weight and gravity to it. It makes the prospect of having another beer after it questionable. But I'm sure a lot of people would see that as a reason to rank it higher. So have this one and enjoy it, but certainly make your way to the oak-aged to experience its superiority.

BirdFlu, Sep 29, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

As I've been a big fan of russian imperial stouts, this local favorite has been on my must-try list. Lets see how it stacks up...

Pours from a 12oz brown bottle into the curvy sam adams glass. It's very dark brown but with hints of red around the edges. The light tan colored bubbles rise slowly through the beer and settle into a fine head on top.

Aroma is a combination of roasted malts and (surprisingly) hops. Most beers of this style don't have the hop aroma that this one does and I like it.

Flavor is rich in chocolate and roasty malt but also has a distinctive hop taste. It's almost an IPA RIS if there ever was one. The bitterness from the malts is there but the hops play a major part as well. It's all very well balanced too not leaning too much towards sweet or bitter.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy smooth with just enough carbonation to get by.

Drinkability is good but keep in mind it's
nearly 10%.

I opened both this and the oak-aged version together. As good as this one is, the oak is clearly better. If I needed an everyday RIS, it would be between this and Ten Fidy. For something a bit more special, the oak aged yeti is the one.

GilGarp, Sep 28, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ours a soupy blac with leather brown highlights. There was a quick brownie brown head. Can't see any bubbles and there is no lacing. Marshmellowed brownies made wth dark chocolate, thanks to this beers hopping. With a slight creamy booze warmth that you can feel in the nostrils throughout. Bitter roasted chocolate malts and hops mix to give the taste buds the gift of marshmellowy, vanilla-ey, brownies. The finish is a bitter cream and heavily milked coffee. Liquid dessert in a 22 oz. bottle. Great to slowly sip on a cool night before you retire for the evening.

scruffwhor, Sep 21, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours very dark/opaque with a beautiful 2 fingered head, with very nice lacing. The smell is of vanilla, chocolate, coffee and lovely malts. The taste... as my wife put it is very complex. You get some vanilla, lots of chocolate and some coffee, a great selection of malts in this beer! The mouthfeel is nice, the carbonation level is good. I could see myself drinking one or two of these bombers pretty easily but I would go on stout overload after that.

Biggness, Sep 18, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1%

A: Medium dark black with a thick brown head... good lacing left behind

S: Caramel, Chocolate, and Coffee... a

T: Strong on the coffee and chocolate... the caramel is a little more subtle than the nose would suggest... a dash of alcohol burning through

M: Medium full body... slightly carbonated

D: Solid.