Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
cheers2beers

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a solid black liquid with a well stacked creamy brown head. Lots of web-like laceing left behind after a few swallows.

Smell: The aromas are strong wafts of chocolate, toasted wheat bread, premium coffee blend, and a potent alcohol is noted. Also, I am getting some dark fruits such as raisins and fig.

Taste: This resembles some of those dark chocolate candies with the burst of liqueor on the inside. Coffee notes are still present, light soy sauce, some wood notes, and a vague licorice.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy motor oil, sweetness upfront with a very strong alcohol presence throughout. High carbonation.

Drinkability: This has always been a great beer for me. This isn't what I would call one of the best, but lets just say I keep coming back to it. It's definitely worth the try.

Cheers2Beers

03-07-2007 23:07:54 | More by cheers2beers
Neehan

4.38/5  rDev +4%

This bad-boy poured a jet black with a large, thick head that was off-white. It tends to stick to the glass a bit before dripping back down into the body. Very creamy and solid. The smell was roasted throughout: coffee, chocolate, malts, with a bit of a burnt character. The taste was exceptionally rich with a light burn on the finish as the roasted nuttiness fills the mouth. Very thick and creamy in the mouth as if a generous portion of whipped cream was added to the mix. Warms the body as it goes down. For an exceptionally rich taste and character, it still remains quite drinkable. Good, well-crafted stuff here.

03-06-2007 04:18:04 | More by Neehan
GimpyCane

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Last night session evolved around several RIS and Yeti was on that list. Poured a thick motor oil black with a 4 inch mocha coffee head that cascade to 2 inches. Left an excellent amount of sticky lacing an the glass. The aroma was harsh, roasted almost burnt malt, strong coffee witn a hint of vanilla. The flavor was intense but a tab harsh. Started of the way it ended, strong long bitter chocolate and dark coffee, that left a tart residue on my lips. Was surprise by the mouthfeel, medium to full body, softly carbonated with a small bite of alcohol and watery. The appearance led to to believe that this would be a thick even syrupy brew. One think I did notice was the hops shined through when consumed cold as oppose to warm when the harsh elements came out. Overall, I like this brew. Although, I enjoyed the Oaked Yeti more. Yeti has alot to offer in boldness and complexity.

03-05-2007 01:17:51 | More by GimpyCane
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours out the expected pitch black. Creamy milk chocolate head with quite a lot of lacing. Aroma is sweet chocolate malt. Flavour backs up the aroma- chocolate, some licorice, sweet toffee, finished off by a hoppy dry finish. Thick and luxurious. Less hoppy than expected, although I have been sitting on this bottle for over six months. The roasted malts were actually subdued. I enjoyed the oak aged version slightly more as it has more complexity and I enjoy the vanilla notes in it. Still this is an excellent impy stout from one of my favourite breweries.

03-03-2007 03:49:52 | More by oakbluff
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer is black. It has a thick brown head that is persistent. The smell is heavy of malt and some big caramel tones. The taste is malty and caramel. There are some roast flavors as well. This is a big beer with lots of character – spiciness and alcohol are noticeable. The mouthfeel is heavy, but fits well with the flavor. As for drinkablity, while it is delicious…..I think that it is a bit rich for more than a few.

03-03-2007 03:32:16 | More by barefootbrewer
Gatch

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Can Great Divide brew a bad big beer? I don't think it's possible. Yeti shined in every describable characteristic. My ratings are according to style, and this is definitely one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had.

A - Black as night with a little hint of deep brown. Crazy thick & creamy head which almost looks curdled. Kind of like a milkshake.
S - A surprisingly hoppy nose. Roasted malt, roasted coffee, dark chocolate.
T - A lot of the nose came out in the taste. Roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, brown sugar, some dark fruits. A nice subtle alcohol warmth that I really enjoyed. I love this stuff.
M - A very smooth, warming feel. The roasted tastes explode all over the palate. It stays with you, which is great.
D - One of the more drinkable Imperial Stouts I've tried. The alcohol is hidden incredibly well, which attributes to the great taste. I really can't say enough about Yeti and Great Divide. They seem to exhibit every passion possible involved in brewing.

02-26-2007 05:45:23 | More by Gatch
quikfish13

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours into a frothy creamy 3-finger head with a pitch black body that is impossible to see through. If I was to look at the top of my glass I would think I was drinking chocolate milk. Chocolate in high doses eminates from the top of the glass, not so muych a coffe taste but pure rich chocolate.

The taste matches the smell, leaveing a feeling in my mouth of a rich and creamy taste. Malts and roasted grain are abound until the very end when the coco flavors burst through. Quite bitter and with a higher alcohol taste then I would care for but the complex flavors of this beer more than make up for it.

Not a beer I would drink all the time but on special occasions or with a large dinner. It does go down smooth but this beer is to rich to enjoy in mass quantities.

02-25-2007 01:12:58 | More by quikfish13
RonfromJersey

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Black hole body, topped by a superbly cascading dark tan micro bubble head which takes half the glass and rocked above the rim with a lunar surface efffect. Very good stretching lace.

Powerful, inviting, daring aroma of dark fruits, licorice, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate is readily apparent without even lifting the glass.

Taste is chocolate, coffee, plums soaking in alcohol. Mild hop tingle at the swallow, warmth but not burn in the belly. Dark fruits ooze through the hop tingle and into the after taste.

Mouthfeel is full-plus. Creamy and thick and decadently rich.

Beyond dangerously drinkable. I not only want to drink this again, I want another now.

An outstanding example of an imperial stout. Highly recommended.

02-19-2007 05:04:41 | More by RonfromJersey
msolar

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

I was expecting this beer to be rated in the high 80’s, not the low 90’s. I liked it quite a bit, but 91? Impressive.

Regardless, it’s a great looking beer. Like everyone says, it pours black with a very dark tan head. I didn’t notice quite such a predominant chocolate taste as others have mentioned, but certainly molasses and burnt malt are very evident.

9.5% alcohol is pretty nice. I probably won’t buy it again – for the price I can get nearly three times as much from Berkshire Brewing Company, an arguably equivalent (or better) beer.

02-17-2007 12:40:16 | More by msolar
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

This is the thickest, blackest, gooiest oil looking looking liquid I have ever had the pleasure of sipping on! Hue big creamy frothy head, colored dark brown that would not fade on me, had to stay around and hang out. Black as night with big lace, looked perfect for an Imperial Stout, had to give it a 5! Smell was complex, albeit not as strong as I would have liked, but Chocolate, caramel, and coffee all were able to come through for me. Hint of alchol, which is to be expected at over 9%abv. The taste was ...yummy! Totally coffee and chocolate duking it out to predominate this one. Alcohol definatly there s well, but not bad at all, just enough to let you know to watch out. Hint of chocolate came through as it warmed, big dry hoppy finish, very nice! This is a very thick drink, like a chocolate milkshake, very warming a it goes down, very creamy and great late at night before bed! Overall I really enjoyed this and it is a toss up between this and the oaked yeti, I love them both, but definatly distinct and I could see why they chose to experiment with it, though it can definatly hold its own with any Imperial Stout!

02-16-2007 12:08:04 | More by mikesgroove
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz. bottle dated 04/2006 so this is not quite a year old. The pour is really inky black and looks like motor oil. The head was a large brown coffee-colored fluff. The smell was roasty and hoppy at the same time. The beer really laced the glass well and thickly I might add. The taste was very hoppy, chocolatey, and I also tasted cookie-dough in there. The mouthfeel was a little thin and one of the only drawbacks to this beer. I prefer the Oak-Aged Yeti because the oak really seems to tame the hops and mellow the beer. I like hoppy beers but not hoppy stouts. Anyway, this is still a winner but get the Oaked if you see them side-by-side in the liquor store.

Update 12/23/07
Mouthfeel has firmed up, nice aromas, no doughy flavor this time, roasty with a bitterness that lasts, I bet this can age awhile longer.

02-14-2007 17:30:09 | More by ArrogantB
browner

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

A beauty of a thick pour. If you love stout and coffee this is for you. Deep, delicious and well balanced. Big start and long finish. The depth of rich flavor dominates this stout which is another big, bold and beautifully crafted beer. from Great Divide.Well done !

02-11-2007 22:08:01 | More by browner
mrasskicktastic

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Dark borwn beer with a big frothy head that coats the glass in lacing. The head takes forever to subside at that.

S - Coffee, chocolate, molasses, alcohol and burnt malt.

T - A lot of slightly sweet chocolatey malt with a touch of coffee and alcohol. The aftertaste is a faint coffee bitterness.

M - Smooth, thick, pretty refreshing. No complaints.

D - Good. I think I prefer the oak aged, but this isn't far behind. I will certainly have one of them again sometime.

02-11-2007 02:05:15 | More by mrasskicktastic
aforbes10

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

4-6 month old bottle picked up a while ago at City Wide. Decided last night to drink it finally. Pours big and black tar colored with foamy, cream-topped khaki head. looks impressive. Hoppy, chocolate odor, full of fruit and treacle, fudge and cream. The odor of a good imperial stout makes it for me almost as much as the taste does and this one really makes the grade. Taste is great...a massive beer full of drity, leafy hops, roast chocolate malts, anc clingy boozy fruits. Hoip character bitters the beer throughout, especially on the finish. Thick and sticky mouthfeel. glug glug. A great beer. my only question is why this doesn't cost more? Holy crap, i'm rich! i can buy tons of this decious elixir

02-08-2007 13:56:19 | More by aforbes10
AudioGilz

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

22 ounce bomber.

It's completely opaque, even when held up to bright outside sunlight. The head is small but sticky and laces well.
The words roasty and crisp come to mind for the aroma, it's a bit mellow as compared to other representations of the style, yet there's some complexity; roasted bakers chocolate, vanilla bean, very malty.

Creamy mouthfeel is the first impression, very smooth and enjoyable in a sipping manner. Roasted malts dominate at first, flavors of burnt chocolate and coffee, background sweet vanilla, all followed by a twang and slight hop kick with fairly mellow bitterness. Alcohol strength shows an ample character in the finish and twangy aftertaste as well.

Definitely a sipper, and not as "in your face" as say a Storm King or a Rogue IS. But it holds it's own and is right there with the front running Imperial Stouts in complexity and drinkability.

02-06-2007 17:54:39 | More by AudioGilz
faernt

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

I drink Imperial Stout often. I am a fan of the style. When I opened this up it met all the usual expectations. It has no flaws on style. It's drinkable and since so many breweries are yanking their prices up for the special big beers...it's a relief to buy a really good beer at a reasonable price.

I'll buy it again and again. It does the job. Don't jack with the price.

02-04-2007 04:49:05 | More by faernt

02-04-2007 00:59:57 | More by meadhead
BadBadger

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wowza, Yeti Imperial Stout is one very pleasant beast. It pours from the bottle a nice dark color (not pitch black but almost there). There is a beastly proportioned coffee colored head which sticks around for some time. The smell is a very nice aroma of malt, coffee, and floral hops. The taste is both a sweet and bitter smack to the senses, with a hearty coffee kick to to teeth. There is a chewy coating to the lingual side of the teeth, the tongue and the palate. This is a true delight. I certainly recommend searching for this beast!

02-03-2007 23:41:40 | More by BadBadger
veech

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

It really is amazing how weather can affect one's affectations for a particular beer. Its 34 degrees and snowy, and the perfect compliment on my day off is to revisit a nice RIS like Yeti. My first review was during much warmer climes. A: Deep dark, opaque black. Impervious to light. Blacker than my ex-fiance's heart. (Not to sound jaded, I actually called the wedding off), with a dark brown head and nice residual lacing. S: Too much to note: toffee, carob bean, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate. Very complex. T: Sweet out of the blocks with a strong, hearty, malted presence that transitions into an alcohol soaked hoppy bitterness. In a word: Delicious. M: Substantial, thick, viscous and chewy. Perfect for the style. D: Given the cold temps I find sessionability limted due only to knowing the ABV, but for sheer enjoyment, I could drink this all night. I am glad I revisited this beer during the winter months. I'll be in Denver in 3 weeks and I will indulge in all the Great Divide beers ad nauseum. Great Divide and Conquer!

02-02-2007 00:17:08 | More by veech
nortmand

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours pitch black, with a solid, lace forming brown head.

Very roasty aroma. Chocolate and some hop edge as well. Awesome.

Sweet roast and hazelnut. Chocolate and a solid, resinous hop bitteness. Some bitter orange notes as well.

Ginormous body, silky and luscious. Very strong, yet so silky smooth, that I could drink two of these. Awesome and clean. A very good brew.

01-31-2007 22:29:15 | More by nortmand
shlap

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Taste: A perfect example of what an imperial stout should taste like; fruit, chocolate, and coffee, with a nice hoppy finish.

Body: Smooth and silky.

Appearance: Pitch black, totally opaque.

Aroma: Sweet fruit candy, chocolate.

Head: Nice brown head that dissapated quickly but left a light layer the whole way down.

Lacing: Quite a bit of lacing, very sexy :-)

Carbonation: Medium carbonation.

Have Another?: Definitely.

01-27-2007 06:43:50 | More by shlap
stevegamburg

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Just had my first one yesterday watching the Bears spank the Saints in the NFC Championship game.
Pours pitch black and I knew I was in for a treat when I saw how dark and thick the head was.
Tastes awesome with very dark malt and a fair amount of hop bitterness.
I haven't had an Imperial Stout this good in a while. In my opinion, it is one of the best out there, second only to Victory Storm King.

01-22-2007 21:58:08 | More by stevegamburg
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +14%

so, at this review there are 428 reviews posted. I won't try to redescribe this beer in the face of so many variations. What I will say is that this beer was sampled from 12oz bottles. An exceptional RIS with few peers. I love a good RIS and this hits all the charactersitics of aroma, taste and body that to me are must haves.

Unfortunately for me this is outside of my beer market so outside of trades or trips south this one will go down as a definite wish it was in my area.

01-16-2007 14:46:08 | More by barleywinebrewer
auntfloyd

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a Samuel Smith's imperial pint glass.

Pours an extremely jet black with barely visibly ruby edges, and two fingers of dark tan head that retains nicely.

The smell is wonderful: sweet malts, coffee, chocolate, raisins, and dark fruit.

The taste is quite sweet up front, with chocolate, roasted malt, and fruit notes prevalent, followed by hops and a slightly bitter coffee finish.

The mouthfeel is creamy, and drinkability is high. The strength of this beer is barely noticeable.

A very nice ale. one of the better Imperial Stouts there is.

01-15-2007 23:39:29 | More by auntfloyd
Ieatlambfries

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a large snifter. Very opaque black color. Dark brown head with hints of red in it. Dense bubbles which leave a smattering of lacing after a sip.

Heavy notes of molasses in the nose. Burnt sugars and roasted malts as well. Also suggestions of dulce de leche and caramel.

Upfront I taste sweet molasses followed by burnt caramel and dark cocoa. Roasted malts impart the flavor of espresso or a dark French roast coffee. The finish is bitter hops and oak notes. The alcohol is present as you exhale.

The mouthfeel is slightly viscous. Expansive with a slick feeling going down. Very substantial and quite rich.

Very nice sipping stout. Rich and complex. Things only seem to get better as it warms. I'm looking forward to aging a few.

01-15-2007 19:09:33 | More by Ieatlambfries