Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle with date of 12/2/08

A - Extremely dark black with chocolatey tan 2 finger head. Great head retention for an IS and a good amount of lacing

S - Hops! This is a very hoppy IS and I love it. Chocolate and coffee notes come through strong as well, but the aroma is very well balanced.

T - Outstanding. Big roasted malt character with the chocolate and coffee from the nose. With 75 IBU's, this beer adds a good amount of bitterness from the hops as well. Dry finish, with a slight hint of alcohol. It's strong but the alcohol isn't overbearing.

M - Rich and creamy, perfectly carbonated

D - I could drink this all night if I could stay standing. After a 22oz I'm feeling great and could easily drink another, but I probably shouldn't

Incredible beer. I will be sure to add this to my usual rotation.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pours very dark (ya think?) 1/2 in. head subsides fairly quickly.

S: Coffee, chocolate and dark fruit (with a little banana after swirling vigorously.)

T: Delicious, chocolatey more than coffee-ey. Still carbonated even though the head has disappeared. Slightly dry finish, any more dryness would detract from my taste score substantially.

M: Good mouthfeel, still carbonated.

D: Alcohol is fairly well hidden. I could have another, in fact, I will have another!

In retrospect, this is definitely one of the best, even with the dry finish it seems to work very well. This is the best dry-finish Imperial Stout I think I've ever had.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at prime 16 in a snifter. Jet black with espresso crema head.

Nose was light of roasted malts and licorise.

Head was small as bartender eased it into glass like a little old lady. Some lace and avg retention.

Taste was packed with big roasted coffe malt with a bit of fresh fennel.
Mouthfeel is insanely velvety.

Drinkability is moderate as any large ris should be.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from bottle into small cocktail glass.

A - Poured non-transparent black with tan head rising afterwards about a finger high. Lots of lacing left around the glass.

S - Dark chocolate with hints of coffee and malts towards the end.

T - Again chocolates and coffee upfront with slight sweetness of malts.

M - Full bodied with high carbonation.

D - Definitely a sipping beer. Definitely would love to have more in the future.

I dont think Ive ever had a better Imperial Stout, and I doubt I ever will. Very large beer in many mays; big roasted malts, big American hops! Not smooth, hell yeah. Great when fresh, great when aged. Unbelievably easy to drink. Rich and bitter in the finish, yet supprisingly dry (for and Imperial Stout). A true masterpiece. My hat goes off to Great Divide for this phenominal beer.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into NB globe.

A: pours motor oil black with some serious viscosity. A dark coffee colored head forms a nice fluffy layer and sticks around. This looks perfect for an imperial stout.

S: burnt malts, roasted barley, dark chocolate, coffee all on the front with a huge whiff of earthy resinous hops on the back which lends aromas of tobacco and pine

T: this starts out as a decadent chocolate delight followed by the huge hop character. The flavors seem more bold and assertive than the oaked version. The roasted notes are incredibly bold but the hops bite through and provide an interesting balance for a beer loaded with flavor

MF: thick, creamy, velvety texture, dense

D: this is extremely rich and is best enjoyed sipping over a long period of time as it warms. I was happy to see this beer in a 12oz/4pk vs. the bombers I have always seen in the past. This is an incredible imperial stout and among the best.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

This is an amazing beer. Huge foamy dark brown head atop a black body. Supreme nose showing roasted coffee, all shades of chocolate, molasses, a mild bourbon aroma and brown sugary notes. Taste is so well done I almost had to give it a 5. Cocoa nibs in the back but bursting with humongous roasted notes, espresso with milk, vanilla bean, dark and light chocolates, fudge and a wonderful hop presence. Mouthfeel is greatness, not the chewiest stout but more towards the creamy, silky feel, the mild bourbon in the finish is a nice touch, it's as if this beer was made to offer specific flavors at specific intervals during the taste experience and it got them just right. Amazingly smooth and drinkable, what a fine stout.

Had again, aged 2 years this time, hops faded but still bitter from the chocolate malt. Aroma is incredibly chocolaty, mouthfeel very mellow and smooth like cask, more earthy character this time.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

A= pours a deep deep deep black color. This isn't just brown and looks black in a cup. This baby is BLACK. The head on it is awesome for an RIS. It stands up a nice two and a half fingers high with amazing lacing and retention. The heads color makes me drool. Complete dark brown color. The only thing that would make this beer more bad ass is if the head were black which I don't even believe is possible. Awesome looking.

S= Awesome combination of everything RIS. Coffee and chocolate all over the place. This thing that makes this so unique is the small amount of hops that make this beer very well balanced for an RIS. The deep roasty malts are amazing.

T= Awesome. Just like the nose I get a ton of great RIS notes. The main thing like I said that confuses me is the hop notes. There is of course loads of coffee and chocolate... great roasty malts and just plain amazing dark malt flavor. All this awesome RIS flavor is complemented by the nice hop flavor. The hops come through even more in the taste than the nose led on to believe. Great taste. My favorite part is when I burp I get the hops like I'm drinking an IPA

M= Low carbonation despite the awesome head on this beer. Really quite coating. A little sticky and lasting. This beer lingers in the taste for quite a while which is nice because when it warms up it just gets better and better.

D= Amazing beer... This beer reminds me of my favorite beer Darkness in many many ways. This baby is everything I want in a beer and lives up to any occasion. No matter weather I'm craving a hop bomb or a malty sipper this beer is both. Solid brew and I'm happy it's so available.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Pours motor oil black (and about the same consistency!) with a great light brown head. Lacing down the sides is perfect. Over all as pretty as a Imperial as you can get.

S- holy crap, smells like a double IPA, great citrus hops with some grassy undertones that make it special, also can get big whiffs of chocolate and coffee on the nose as well. So far so perfect!

T- Like a flavor explosion in my mouth. definitely roasted malt and coffee, with a big hint of chocolate. Not as hoppy as it smelled, but probably due to the fact that it is such a malty beer. still a bit of bitterness that as the beer lingers is more pronounced.

M- it also feels a bit like motor oil in the mouth, in a good way though! nice carbonation that makes it easier on the palate as well. Might be a little lighter on the mouth but it would be hard to change anything so far in this beer for fear of screwing it up.

D- One of the most drinkable Imperial stouts I have had, definetely can have a few pints, but probably wouldn't be able to drive home afterwards. Overall a KILLER beer

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark black with a dark tan head with nice retention. The aroma is chocolate, raisins, molasses, coffee, hops and alcohol. The flavor is just like the aroma. with the chocolate and the coffee having the strongest tastes.

This is a full bodied beer, very chewy and viscous. The carbonation is appropriate. This is a nicely drinkable beer, in spite of the fact that the alcohol is not well hidden.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Yeti pours a deep black into the glass with a big, frothy two finger brown foam on top. There was more head on this beer than I was anticipating. As the foam dissolves it leaves behind a thick netted pattern of lace on the glass.

The aroma is a rich malt flavor with some hoppy notes mixed in. Present in the aroma are notes of chocolate, toffee, nuts and pine.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is smooth and dry on the palate with a mild fizz on the tip of the tongue. The mouthfeel reminded me of a milk shake. The rich malt flavor is loaded with chocolate, coffee and nuts. A hint of ripe fruit, like plum or raisin, is also present. Balancing out the malt is a moderately strong hop bitterness with a flavor of pine. Once gone some of the chocolate and pine notes linger on the palate.

For a nearly 10% abv beer this one is easy to drink, well balanced and loaded with flavor. The thick head and lace patterns gives the beer a pleasing appearance.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz picked up Friday at Brewforia.. paid about $4.. sharing with Brenda.. mine is poured into my Delirium goblet.

Bottled on Nov 9th, 2009... woo hooo... very fresh..

2 finger dark brown head... nice retention and lacing.. great cap... the brew is of course very black.

Nose has tons of hops.. resinous and very citric.. the dark malts are also very present.. but are blown out of the water by the hops..

Tons of hoppy bitterness at the front.. a bit rough going into the dark malts.. bittersweet chocolate.. lite French Roast.. and then the citrus hops lay waste to everything prior.. oily hops combine with the roasty malts and just tear everything to shreds.... the finish isn't as hoppy as I would have expected.. instead it is a bit dry with some malt astringency and residual hoppiness.. the body is on the lite side of full... the carbonation is very nice... smooth and always present... small bubble lends toward a velvety mouthfeel..

This is not my idea of a great RIS.. or American Double Stout.. the hops are just too much... but I do appreciate it... this is exactly what many BA's are going to want of a big hoppy stout.

4.5/4/4/4/3.5

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Pours jet black with a nice dark tan head. Stick lacing on the glass.

S: Chocolate hits the nose first followed by coffee and molasses.

T: A very good imperial stout. Very complex. Not too boozy. Chocolate, vanilla, cherries, espresso, and molasses. Very smooth, mild bitterness.

M: Light carbonation, full bodied.

D: A very nice RIS. One of the better ones out there.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

For all other drinking this fine example of an impy stout on this chilly winter's eve: cheers!

A: Black, tar colored beer with a mocha-colored head.

S: Coffee, Cocoa, and a touch of something sweet.

T: Out of this world. Very well balanced, phenol-masking flavor with a definite coffee-flavored finish on the palate. Nice proportions.

MF/D: Very smooth, delicious tasting Imperial Stout. After trying and enjoying this one so much, I am headed back to the store to buy one of their cellared editions.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated what looks to be dec. 24, 2008. I could be mistaken about the exact date, but regardless it is roughly a year old.

A-Pours like motor oil. It is pitch black, as dark as a Siberian night. It has a beautiful, thick, billowy mocha colored head that slowly dissipates leaving a thick ring of foam. It leaves some lacing on the glass.

S-Chocolate, coffee, and hops stand out alongside hints of brown sugar, molasses, and dark fruits. The nose is complex, but it is more subtle than expected.

T-First of all it needs to be stated that this is a complex beer to say the least. Chocolate fudge, heavy cream, espresso, and hops dominate at first. As it warms brown sugar and dark fruit flavors come into play. The espresso flavor and dark chocolate dominate once it gets near room temperature.

M-Thick and creamy.

D-This is a very drinkable RIS. Its abv is not as high as others of the style which makes it easy to finish an entire bomber.

Overall, this is a great imperial stout. I would highly recommend it to fans of the style. I will say it was one of the more unique imperial stouts that I have had due to the overwhelming taste of cream. It is also the most hoppy imperial stout I have had by far which surprised me due to it being roughly a year old. I can't imagine what it was like when first released. I just purchased a 2009 oak yeti imperial stout which I think I will try to age for about two years so the hops can calm down.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

I'm just now getting into stouts. I was biased because I'm not really a Guinness fan. Here goes!

I'm pouring from a 1pt 6oz bottle at 54.3 degrees into a 16oz pint glass.

As far as appearance, this is a beautiful beer! Completely black with a very thick, frothy, two-finger head. The head is a light brown that sticks around. It reminds me of soy sauce, the way it pours.

The smell is overwhelmingly hoppy. The bottle boasts a large amount of hops and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in that aspect of this beer. I detect a little sweetness going on, maybe toffee or chocolate.

I'm a little apprehensive to taste this one. I've only heard good things, from fellow BA's as well as my trusted beer store employees. This one takes me by surprise! I was right about the toffee and chocolate, but there's also a heavy coffee influence. At 9.5abv, I thought I would be able to taste the alcohol more, but I'm pleasantly surprised! The alcohol is still there, but there's so much more going on in my mouth that it's more of a side note than a distraction! VERY well done!
Starts with a little bitterness, but moves to a very smooth, woodsy hoppiness that is complimented nicely by the roasting! Wow. Wow....wow!

The carbonation reminds me of a nitrogen pushed beer (Belhaven, Guinness), but not as thick. Very smooth, though a little thick for how heavy the beer is. Maybe its just me, but I like the contrasy of heavy, yet watery beers (see Guinness 250).

As far as drinkability, I would say I like this one more than I like most stouts I've tried, though that list is very short. I will buy more of this one, but mostly because I want to drink it with friends and share its uniqueness with them.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the GDBC mini-bomber (1 pt, 6 oz), brewed on Nov. 23, 2009.

Inky on the pour, with one of the darkest heads I've ever seen - it's so brown that it looks a little bit red. A big head too, measuring an inch or more, dying down to leave a drapery of lace around the glass. I love the look of that beer.

Funny thing, but the first thing I smell is big burly hops - if you close your eyes and breathe deep, you'd assume this was a big IPA. Seems odd, but I'm not getting much for malts at all.

Wow - that's unique for an imperial stout - the hops are immediately apparent on the tongue, providing crisp, piney bitterness that is only matched once the malts slowly arrive - and when they do, the combination is huge. Notes of chocolate, coffee, and heavily toasted caramel dominate.

Light carbonation allows the rest of the flavors involved to take the front seat. Like a two-part ticking time-bomb of hops and malts in the mouth.

I really wanted to like this beer, but my mouth is only so big, which makes this beer at times somewhat undrinkable - it's just too much to fully comprehend - maybe I need a bigger mouth.

Being so fresh, it really needs a year or two to age. Or an oak barrel - either would help it to mellow out some, and allow the flavors to meld better than what's respresented here - it's a good thing that's an option. Given that addition, I'd give it a full grade higher.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, poured into pint glass at about 55F. Bottled 12/24/2008.

Appearance: Dark body. Mocha colored, rocky head, fills the glass and sticks around. 3 fingers at first. Lacing remains later, residual head sticks to the glass.

Smell: A huge whiff of chocolate and malt when I opened the bottle. Mild fruit in the nose.

Taste: It's more assertively hopped than Ten Fidy, my go to RIS. Definitely dryer too. Strong roasted notes, slight coffee tate. Dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than Ten Fidy, even though they're just about the same ABV. Mild carbonation, appropriate for style. The body is thinner than I'd expect at the alcohol level.

Drinkability: definitely don't notice the alcohol. No problem finishing the whole bottle myself, but not something I'd seek out often.

The RIS category allows a lot of variability with dryness and bitterness. This is on the dryer and more bitter end of the spectrum.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Somehow, over the years of my advocacy, I've managed to avoid the Yeti, at least in its pure form. No longer. Twelve ounces of dark love is now mine.

Pours night-with-no-lights black. Tan head that falls quickly. Spattered lacing, who cares? Smell is primarly roasted malts, not sweet, but a touch of bitterness to them. Faint coffee, too.

Is it heresy to let a Yeti warm up? Does it kill them? Wow, this is one smooth customer. The roasted malts in the nose are the dominant strain on the palate as well, along with timid coffee, very faint chocolate, & an aftertaste of bittering hops that keep this from sensory overload.

Very thick, very roasty, & the smoothness makes it easy to down, despite the ABV (which is no where to be found in tate or smell). This is a quicksand of a beer that you could fall into & drown if you're not careful.

Excellent brew. While I prefer the Yetis that have been tampered with in some way, they wouldn't be nearly as impressive if this weren't a very good base beer.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

The body is the darkest of browns to black, and impenetrable to light. The head is at least two fingers of light brown foam that has good retention and leaves great lacing behind.

There is actually a pretty big hop presence in the aroma, with a big citrus smell to it. I also notice roasted malts, toffee, and whiff of alcohol.

The flavor is definitely "untamed" like the label suggests. Roasted malts are first with a hint of coffee flavor coming with them. Next is a very rich toffee flavor that is my favorite part of the beer. After that and into the aftertaste there is a massive hop presence. Grapefruit and other citrus flavors along with a noticeable amount of bitterness might be the most prominent flavors in Yeti. The finish comes with a blast of heat from the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is big, smooth, almost chewy. A great feel for a massive stout like Yeti.

I would say this yeti is still a bit hot; although I don't like aging many beers, with a little bit of time under its belt to mellow out the hops and heat, this one would probably improve. As it, it is still a pretty good beer though.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A very impressive bottle with a cool label on it.

The beer poured nice and thick with a great one finger head that did not want to leave.

The beer is black as night and you cannot see thru, I anticipated the chocolate malts that should break through.

The malt and chocolate comes through and is very pleasing.

The beer has a nice smokey, dark taste to it with a strong burst of toasted malt.

This is a thick beer that someone can chew on and the lace continues to stream down the bottle.

The alcohol is present and while thick it is very drinkable.

A great beer.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

55°F

S: Bready malt, rich chocolate, and a generous dollop of coffee. None of the 9.5% abv is evident and just of hint of hop aroma peeks through.

A: Deep chocolate brown body as dark as the devil's soul. Topped with a dense brown foam that has phenomenal retention leaving behind dense lacing and a thick creamy head. This looks perfect.

T: Dark, milky chocolate, bready malt, and just a hint of bitterness on the back end. Coffee notes hide most of the hop flavor, and -OH remains hidden until the very end. Fantastic beer.

M: Medium to heavy body with low carbonation. Super creamy, and smooth. Chewy. Just the slightest bitterness left on the tongue.

D: This beer is trouble waiting to happen. A 9.5 abv should not go down this easy! Great on its own or with food.

O: Glorious. I know BA is developing a stigma as a haven for hopheads and big stout drinkers, but with beer like this who can blame us?

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Great Divide- Yeti Imp. Stout

A- Dark thick black with a dark brown thick whipped head. Big solid messy lacing down the glass, looks like hot chocolate.
S- Solid bitter dark chocolate with a light touch of cream.
T- Thick milk and dark chocolate malt with a light touch of cream, sugar, lightly burnt roasted coffee beans, and a dollop of resiny pine hops.
M- Thick sweet and dry chocolate dominates throughout. Creamy feel with a touch of bitter hops near the end. Thick sweet fudgy finish.

Overall- This is hot chocolate with a touch of alc. Very tasty very sweet. This is so good! 1 of the best RIS I've tasted.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

22 oz bottle shared and poured into an American Tumbler. 9.5% ABV, no date, but it's the old design label. Shared with Beerwolf77!

A - Totally black in appearance with no light showing through. The beer cascades through the dark tan-toffee-like head to lave a whopping three-fingers. Fantastic retention and thick, foamy lacing is left. Perfect appearance.

S - A good hop splash is recognizable right away on the nose. A lot of heavily roasted malts just flow out with a dark sweetness. Some alcohol is apparent but it blends well with the coffee and chocolate.

T - Lots of roasted malts in the flavor with a chocolate milkiness and a dry cocoa neutrality that's complimented by a big hop flavor for an imperial stout. The bitter finish seems to be derived from both the roasted malts and a hop addition as well.

M - Rich and full-bodied, it's a dense, creamy imperial stout with a dry and bitter finish.

D - A good imperial stout that has an interesting hoppiness to it. Splitting the bomber was a good idea. A bit much of this beer isn't so good for me.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I've been wanting to try this beer for quite sometime now. The name alone makes me smile everytime I say it. Huge thanks to BeerFMAndy for sharing this bomber with me.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a black/brown hue with massive mocha colored head. The beer cascades like a chocolate waterfall. An agonizing wait reveals a thick coating of lace left in the wake of the tidal wave of head.

The aroma is an olfactory explosion. Dark chocolate, coffee, molasses, vanilla, and a hint of rootbeer.

The flavor is just an extension of the nose. Rich black coffee, chocolate, molasses, and butter scotch. The hops are present as well but they have to fight for your attention. The high ABV is hidden well. Fantastic.

Full body with low carbonation. Super smooth and velvety.

Dangerously easy to drink. Well put together RIS. I will be on the look out for more Yeti's in my area.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company