Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
WeisGuy

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Finally getting around to reviewing this one...let's give it a whirl:

a - pour as much like motor oil as any beer I've had minus Dark Lord and Old Viscosity, super black, one-inch tan head with retention around the edges and nice lacing

s - smells of dark bittersweet chocolate and burnt malt predominantly, hints of alcohol, really sweet smelling

t - very smooth taste, nice roasted malt sweetness up front that rolls nicely into the mid-palate that is dominated by bittersweet chocolate, finish has a nice presence of bitter hops that give a slight brightness, finish lingers and evolves into subtle booziness, very complex and tasty

m - full-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, coats the mouth very well, balanced finish

d - for a big stout, drinkability is not bad, but this is a big beer

This is certainly one of the best widely available stouts out there. I'm very impressed with the complexity of this brew.

10-10-2007 01:20:02 | More by WeisGuy
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

I got this precious gem from dogfooddog. It has been in my cellar for almost a year and now I have finally grabbed it at this rainy and mistySunday afternoon.

Appearance is a thick viscous beer, pitch black with a thin, off-white head that has bubbles in all shapes and sizes.

Smell of molasses and soysauce, the burned and roasted notes are deep and complex, backed up by this woody, rich oily graininess of what is probably barley flakes or something. The bitterness is high, but not sharp and nicely balanced by the fullness of the beer. Also the dark malts give the beer a gentle malt bitterness. After all this violence, there is also a sourness that gives the beer a smell of Chinese fish sauce. Somehow this complements the beer.

Taste follows the smell and is also very dark and complex. There are these mild roasted and burned notes that give the beer a coffee and dark unsweetened chocolate taste, followed by a great maltbitterness that reminds me of molasses, liquorice and soysauce. There is a grainy taste, which has an oily taste of adjunct, but it fits the bigness of the beer and makes the beer tend towards soysauce or Chinese fishsauce.
Bitterness is high, but not out of balance and the hops are giving the beer a great bitterness, although this is a bit subdued by the big body. With it's 9,5% alcohol I still get a warming feeling with every sip and my lips are a little sticky. This is truly a big beer with every aspect of the beer has been blown up to taste explosion proportions.

10-09-2007 19:14:54 | More by Absumaster
goochpunch

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

New review and I'm gonna give this one another chance. Pours out a thick, inky black with a full burnt sugar head that sticks to the glass, leaving chunky and raised lacing. Aroma is chocolate ganache, medium roast coffee, orange/grapefruit oils, and subtle alcohol. Flavor starts off with intense roasted character that carries on throughout, along with a sweet underlying chocolate. Through the middle, there appears an out-of-place fruitiness from hops and the yeast. Some piney notes come out too and just don't sit well with me. Big bitterness from hops and highly-kilned malts in the finish in conjunction with lactic acid. There are some good things going on in the flavor, but it's all over the place and is something of a mess. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and viscous, but I'd really like the carbonation to be a touch more subdued. With some wild-ass flavors and super thick mouthfeel, drinkability is a little rough. I'd really like to try this with a few years on it. I'd take the oak aged version over this any day, even considering the price.

10-06-2007 03:02:21 | More by goochpunch
ndekke39

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Split a 22 oz. bottle of the Yeti with my brother, served in pint glasses. No freshness date to be seen on the bottle. Poured a pitch black, like motor oil. Very thick. Small brown head on it. A few bits of lacing. Aromas of dark roast coffee, hoppy bitterness, chocolate. Taste begins with a fizzy alcohol at the front of the mouth. Mellows a bit in the middle - strong flavors there of very dark chocolate. Very appealling. Ends with bitter notes. We sipped this as the beer returned to room temperature, which brought out an oaty, dark malty taste. Very interesting to see how the flavor transforms through the temperature change. Light carbonation; fairly creamy complexion. Overall, one of the best stouts I have ever tasted - really gets me back into this style again. Outstanding selection - highly recommended.

10-05-2007 02:28:50 | More by ndekke39
bort11

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

This was my choice to bring to a get together with my wife's boss. 22 oz bottle poured into a Chardonnay wine glass. With no pint glasses at the house we were visiting, this was a good alternative. Dark mocha colored head with good retention. Nice lacing on the glass, leaving noticeable rings on the glass with each sip.
Smell was a fantastic chocolate malt, dark coffee blend. There was a subtle hops nose blended with the bitterness of the coffee aroma. Taste fan-freaking-tastic! All the dark yummy flavors you would expect in an RIS. Coffee, toffee, chocolate, some figs, and that little hint of hops in the back.
Mouthfeel is very full bodied, but has a dry finish. A pleasantly mild carbonation. Very, very drinkable. I had two bottles and I was done for the night. I am getting more soon.

09-29-2007 15:29:54 | More by bort11
tronester

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours an oily, pitch black. The head is almost non existent, and dark brown in color. The smell is earthy, and of roasted malts. Exceptionally smooth tasting, the hops wonderfully balance out the rich malt flavor. Hints of coffee, brown sugar, and an ever so slight citrus character. The mouthfeel is incredibly rich, carbonation is just right. I was surprised at how carbonated it was, especially after the pour. A world class beer.

09-22-2007 03:12:43 | More by tronester
biking4beer

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +4%

I was lucky enough to get this on cask at the brewery. Served in a Yeti glass of course.

Deep dark black in color. Almost no head typical of cask conditioning. Just a few big brown bubbles. The lack of the nice fluffy tan head usually associated with this beer brought the appearance rating down for me.

The smell was a little subdued too, but did help to bring out a nice grassy/floral aroma. Seems strange for a impy stout, but it fit well. Of course you have the typical chocolate notes too. A little vanilla and raisin come through.

I think the cask conditioning does wonders for this beer. I usually don't enjoy it as much when it's fresh (especially straight from the barrels at the brewery), but this one was great. The cask conditioning really brings out the sweet notes in the flavor. It's still super bitter, but not it has a nice contrast. Dark chocolate, caramel. And then the coffee like bitterness follows up strongly.

Mouthfeel is good. Obviously, it was low in carbonation. It fits this beer well. Dangerously smooth which makes it go down fast. I've never given a high ABV beer a 5 in my reviews, but I'm giving it to this one. I could have easily had another pint of this, but I new better and opted for a Titan. Not sure that was the best option for lowering the ABV.

09-21-2007 15:26:19 | More by biking4beer
cswhitehorse

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +1%

This 12oz model had a freshness date of Apr 2006. The Yeti(sweet name) pours as dark as can be with a soft pillowy head that dissipates slowly. There is a cool little carbonation ring in between the head. The smell is good and has deep tones of roasted malt and coffee. The taste hits you with the 9.5 on the richter scale. You get the solid flavor of the roasted malt with a toffee undertone. It leaves the palate similar to after swallowing a piece of dark chocolate. The Yeti Stout is definitely imperial. This would be a great beer during the winter months or as a night cap.

09-16-2007 01:19:38 | More by cswhitehorse
MrBen

2.78/5  rDev -34%

I love stouts. GIve me oatmeal, cream, imperial. I'll take 'em all.

I suppose I should appreciate what Great Divide was trying to do here, but Yeti was just lost on me. It's not every brewery that tries to make a beer that's supposed to be savory into something so bitter.

The pour was beautiful. Great color, and a head that grabbed the glass and clinged to the end. From there, the hop overload really put a damper on what could have been an awesome imperial. I just don't believe that so much dry bitterness properly complements a roasty, toasty, malty stout. The citrus profile from the hops really confused the flavor of the brew. It also sucked away the substantial, sometimes silky, mouthfeel of a true imperial. Drinkability also suffered, as the hop presence commanded the long finish that should have belonged to the malt.

Different is often good, but not this time.

09-09-2007 02:30:58 | More by MrBen
jasonjlewis

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer has amazing head and retention. The thick foam clung to my glass and won't stop.

Nose has a chocolate malt and slight cherriness. I also smell vanilla undertones with a slight coffee smell.

Upfront is a sweet chocolatiness, with a slight fruity sourness, that is very very faint just to compliment. Tofee and cofee notes then come and are followed off by a nice hop bitterness. The alcohol bite is not very strong, and blends in nicely. I love this RIS. RIS beers always seem to have such complexity. It takes forever to review them. But damn are they enjoyable.

This beer is smooth and the flavor clings to the palate, but it lacks a fullness in the mouth that other RIS beers give me. It doesn't cling to my mouth as well as I would like if that makes sense.

This is one hell of an RIS. I will definetly see that this beer makes it into my fridge consistenly.

08-30-2007 06:28:56 | More by jasonjlewis
Bitterbill

Wyoming

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins for US$5.99

It pours from 22oz bottle a very dark brown, almost black, and it has a very nice tannish head of foam to go with it. The foam stays right through the session as a solid thin layer and it has some nice sticky lacing.

The smell is complex. I get lots of chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, toffee and a touch of vanilla. It's been years since I've last had this and I forgot how well of a nose it had.

The taste is complex as the nose. Big caramel malt is the first thing I notice but I can also tast some dark chocolate and coffee and there's a nice fruity kick to it as well...black cherries comes to mind. And oh yeah, I get some warming with the swallow but hey, it's a pretty strong character at 9.5% so I kind of expected it. Nice, slow sips and I'll be alright. ;^)

It has a great mouthfeel to it and the carbo is lightly done...good combination for an RIS in my book. Btw, the hops are there as well and it gives the brew a nice bitter punch most notably in the finish. Very nice brew and 1 I'd visit again more often now that I'm reaquainted with it.

Bottom line: An excellent example of the style and I highly recommend it!

08-28-2007 23:54:59 | More by Bitterbill
meechum

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Poured into a pint mug. Pours very dark, pretty much black into the mug with an agressive, tight bubbled, thick tan head that fades slowly leaving big sticky lacing down the side of the glass

S - Immediately smell the big personality of this beer with huge caramel and toffee smells with an underlying hint of the malts and even just a small twinge of alcohol, I presume from the gravity

T - Wow..the first sip was awesome..so let's start..roasted malts assaults you right away with a pretty strong mocha flavoring and fading into some caramel or chocolate notes..just a small bit of hoppy taste in there to cut some of the sweetness, finishes off with a bit of the burn of alcohol.

M - This is big and creamy, just the right amount of carbonation to set it off without being too much with a small burn of the alcohol at the end

D - This is a serious beer and should be taken seriously. This is the last beer of my session and with the high grav I don't think I'd have more than one of these in an evening at a time but I sure would be waiting for the next time I could break open a bottle of this.

08-23-2007 02:29:47 | More by meechum
mcallister

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Oddly enough this is my first time trying this beer yet it's readily available to me. This one has been in the cellar a little over a year. Poured from a 12oz bottle.

About as close to black as a beer can get but more burnt russet brown to me. Head is awesome shade of mocha and poured with about a two finger explosion quickly to fade into a creamy top leaving some thin sticky lacing on it's way.

Not many stouts out there or beers for that matter can stand up to the ole factor exciting perfume this beer possesses. Big roasty chocolate fudge aromas with a caramel center and a vanilla been drizzle. Toffee also says hello and leads into a plethora of dark fruity black cassis like goodness and a somewhat citrusy hop transcendence.

What I'd say is one kick ass RIS is sitting in front of me. A slight RS of caramel and toffee really bring the mid palate forth before the long hop induced finish, and alcohol burning in the chest. Roasty dark chocolate is very well integrated. Hints of vanilla and marshmallow with the same plethora of dark fruits noticed in the nose. More of a black currant, black truffle, black raspberry though. Creamy mouthfeel is only slightly thin but just barely missing A beer I shall buy and buy again.

08-22-2007 20:11:44 | More by mcallister
ommegangpbr

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

It's hard to make this style look bad. Probably why scores overall tend higher than others. Opaque black, rich tan head that leaves perfect rings of lace around my Chimay goblet.
The scent is of rich, delicious, high quality, artisanal chocolate mixed with some great coffee. It's a deep, deep scent that you have to dig a little bit for, but once you find it, you want to keep sniffing. There's evidence of hops judging from my eventual sneezing.
Flavors mirror the scent with sharp, sweet malty spikes that get smoothed over by a hoppy, coffee bitterness. The occasional cola flavor sneaks its way in from time to time. Has a bit of a candy finish to it.
Yeti isn't quite as rich on the palate as some examples of the style. It's almost a little bit thin. However the lighter texture bumps up the drinkability by a bit. Not that the drinkability needs any help in this tasty libation.
Great Divide does it again! Great Divide will unite us all someday.

08-21-2007 05:49:27 | More by ommegangpbr
gpcollen1

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a wondefully dark black into my Smutty Big Beer Glass, my favorite glass for Imperial Stouts. A dark cocoa head rises a mighty inch and a half and is very slow to settle. Ha to pour this 3 times to get it all in the glass. Aroma rides in the dark overripe cherries and roasty chocolate with short doses of alcohol rising up and out.

Taste is strong and in your face with roasted coffe beans and dark chocolate and gives way to a bit of alcohol burn. Packed full of flovor but not much in the way of fruit in there. Finish is soft, once the chocolate gives way, and dries up nicely.

I think this one smelled a bit better than it tasted but it is still pretty good. Will drink it again but not as a staple.

08-20-2007 01:01:12 | More by gpcollen1
Zorro

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Obtained in trading with RustyDiamond.

Dense black colored beer with an equally dense yellowish brown colored head that doesn't diminish very quickly at all.

The smell is sweet with lots of chocolate and fig aromas. There is a boozy scent here of raisin and plum like Korean plum wine. There is a little chocolate and coffee in the scent but in this RIS it is very understated.

The taste begins sweet with chocolate liqueur and patent malt finish. Definite ethanol in the taste and the taste of carob, which to me doesn't taste like chocolate. Lots of patent malt flavor but it isn't as complex as I had hoped.

The mouthfeel is good.

OK in the drinkability but I really expected more, especially since I like the oak-aged version so much. This is just OK, what it lacks is subtle flavors and layers.

08-18-2007 05:11:23 | More by Zorro
BMoney575

Sampled on 8-13-07

Pours a super-thick pitch black, with a foamy tan head that coats the glass.

Smell is sweet roasted malt, with bits of anise, chocolate, and a hint of alcohol.

Taste is big roastiness, with a surprising hop bitterness balance. The flavor is complex, lots of chocolate of tons of coffee in the finish. A little alcohol is there, if you look for it.

Mouthfeel is perfect, thick and creamy.

Drinkability is good, but it's a big, big beer.

Overall, a great example of an RIS. Big in almost every way, but with balance. Recommended.

08-13-2007 23:39:35 | More by BMoney575
franksnbeans

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours opaque black with a chocolate milk head that goes nowhere. Smell is chocolate, sweet molasses, some hops and some alcohol. Taste matches the smell. Chocolate notes, sweets, some hops some warming from the alcohol though it’s not as present as the abv indicates. Full in the mouth yet not filling. Finishes a little dry. This is an amazing brew with amazing flavors all over the place. Could, and will try this again and again. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to try this one.

08-11-2007 03:21:23 | More by franksnbeans
leviathan85

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Poured a dense black. Holding the beer up to the light, the darkness remained exactly the same; impenetrable. Only about a one inch head, but great retention.

S: Definitely alcohol, also a little malt. Alcohol was a little overwhelming.

T: Again, alcohol is definitely prevalent. Moves to dark chocolate and finishes with a bitter kick.

M: A bit disappointing for me. Given the appearance I was expecting something a little thicker.

D: As others have said, this one is a sipper. But when the mood for a complex, highly abv stout strikes this one fits the bill.

Overall a solid Stout. Not my favorite, but certainly unique and worthwhile.

08-08-2007 03:03:45 | More by leviathan85
mhaugan

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bottle served in a snifter

First pour is black as night with a very thin tan head. Subsequent pours gave a much thicker and heavier head. Smell is of coffee and chocolate. Taste is coffee and chocolate with a alcohol finish. Goes down much smoother than I expected. Polished off the bottle with dinner and loved every sip.

08-07-2007 16:20:18 | More by mhaugan
irishkyle21

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A true sipper. Has 75 IBU's and a best before date of 08. Pours with a medium sized brown head that puts up a fight before settling. And leaves behind some great lacing. The colour is as black as you can get.

Smells of coffee, molasses, alcohol, chocolate and hops. This is one powerfully aromatic stout.

Everything the nose picked up is on the palate. Coffee, molasses, chocolate, hops the alcohol is very warming. The coffee flavour seems to linger on and on. Amazing! I can sip this all night long.

08-07-2007 06:18:55 | More by irishkyle21
bluegrassbrew

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +4%

22oz bottle into a snifter.

Had the oak-aged Yeti first, so time to taste the orig.
Pours midnight black with a very small coffee colored head. Leaves some good lace.

Smell is chocolate and alcohol. Some hints of toffee as well.

Taste is coffee at first, then a spot of heat from the alcohol in the middle. Finishes with some chocolate and caramel notes. Very good!

Nearly perfect mouthfeel. Thick, but not quite chewy.

Overall, an extremely tasty brew. I think I like the orig. better than the oak-aged version. Either way, Great Divide is doing a fantastic job!

07-31-2007 01:16:45 | More by bluegrassbrew
joekfsu

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours black with a small, brown head that is fully diminishing. The aroma of chocolate dominates. Coffee and caramel were the two flavors that stood out to me. The chocolate flavor was more on the back end for me along with some nice hoppiness. Great mouthfeel with a medium/full body that is creamy smooth. I look forward to more of these in the future.

07-23-2007 01:29:06 | More by joekfsu
plaid75

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a deep brown hue with a one and a half finger foamy tan head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a lightly sweet malt with hints of raisins and prunes. A subtle smokiness as well.

The taste consisted of clean malts with raisin and dark fruit flavor elements. There was a very nice toasted grain toward the finish.

The mouthfeel was full and very chewy.

Overall a very good and suprisingly clean RIS. Very drinkable.

07-16-2007 14:56:10 | More by plaid75
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Deep black brew, tan head tinged brown is surprising. As I poured, I thought no more than a finger's depth, even with some zeal. However, the foam quickly catches up, building to three times its original height. Lacing thick and extensive, with impressive retention.

Good power and character in the nose. I was surprised at the sweetness and accessibility here; a lot of vanilla cream along with coffee and chocolate. Maybe a tiny hint of berry.

Fairly tame for the style, very tasty with nice hints of wood and slightly astringent, actually a bit like a dessert wine. More molasses than chocolate, in a reversal of the nose. Quite a bit of hop bitterness, moreso than seriously roasted bitterness. Citric, maybe a bit piney, with peppery alcohol backing.

Creamy and smooth, just shy of the chewiest thick Imperial Stouts. Rather dry, with plenty of roast character in the finish. Big brew, very tasty and admirable effort.

07-16-2007 05:33:37 | More by BretSikkink