Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,680 | Reviews: 1,681
3.32/5  rDev -21.1%

It pours out dark and black with a dark tan head. The head is pretty thick, and there's some decent retention, maybe a little lacing. The look is on par. The smell was my favorite part. You get loads of roasted malts first. Then there's a bit of alcohol backed by this molasses sweetness. It really makes me exited to taste the beer. I've ad this twice, once fresh, and one was kept for a few months before consuming. I remember the fresh one being very harsh. The other was decent, but nothing to rave about. There were really two main flavors for me - A bit of fruity alcohol and quite a bit of the roasted barley taste. You could describe both of them in different ways, but that's mainly what you're hitting on. I didn't notice much sweetness, and I don't prefer these to be overly sweet, but naturally it seems that having loads of malt, particularly darker malts, is going to lend plenty of unfermentable sugar. As you drink it, you get a decent amount of carbonation, and there's a bit of harshness that mellows after the first taste. This one, in terms of drinkability is about average for an imperial stout, it was a long, long drink for me, and I would recommend it to someone looking for something new, but I probably won't buy this again (though I may try to oak aged one, I don't know how much different it will be).

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Black with no light penetrating this mythical creature. Espresso black with a creamy brown, minimal yet fluffy looking head. Nice lacing up and down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The chocolate malts fill the nose. I get dark chocolate and smoky espresso. The hops are abundant, making my mouth water with anticipation of this bitter sensation. There is a little hint of alcohol lost in the mix.

Taste: Delicious, bitter chocolate, with a smokey and nutty follow through. Almost coffee like, reminding me of a macchiato from Jittery Joes. A great hoppy bitterness that I can't get enough of.

Mouthfeel: This brew definitely fills your mouth, it is smooth and creamy with just enough carbonation. Not quite chewy in my mind because of the crispy bitterness, but definitely built like a malt or milkshake (ok, so I might be feeling a little buzz).

Drinkability: Wow, this stout is great. I enjoyed it the day before Christmas Eve and I can't wait to go to the store and get a few more. I am actually planning on brewing an imperial stout that will require aging for 9-12 months. I can only hope it is and smooth and delectible. The Yeti connotation implies a brew only enjoyable during the winter. I totally disagree, I would drink this beer year round!!!

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This stout poured black as night with a dense 1" dark tan head (aggresive pour at fridge temp). The head eventually dropped to a thin cap and left some thin sheet lace down my glass.

S= This brew produced a heady mix of aromas, including sweet and roasted malts, coffee, vanilla frosting, and alcohol.

T= Lots of maltiness up front (sweet and roasty) followed by a big coffee/espresso punch. Pretty well balanced, even through the short earthy hop bit near the end. Finish was dry and full of bitter roast.

MF= Full heavy body with a slick and slippery mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

D= A fairly balanced and subtle RIS with a lot going on in the flavor and aroma department. Good beer that I will definitely drink again.

Pitch black with pink-tan lacing.

Cidery smell. Roasted barley. Much hoppier than the dark stouts like this that I am used to. Intense flavor keeps it from being exceptionally drinkable.

This isn't my favorite Imperial stout, but still an excellent beer.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Inky black with a thick tan head. Smells of alcohol, chocolate, coffee and tastes of the same with some licorice thrown in. Surprisingly heavily hopped for such a heavy stout, but the hops aren't intrusive and acutally add much to the overall enjoyment level. Absolutely love this one.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

We got the oak aged Yeti, so a slightly different beer than otherwise reviewed. So, this refers to the aged beer! The beer has a nice hoppy aroma. The beer is jet black with a brown head, which has great head retention and is very fluffy. It sticks around as the beer is drained.

The first taste is of hops, with a taste of malt as well. I think it might need maybe more of a malt flavor? But then as you age beers the flavor moves from taste to aroma, so it may just be a factor of the aging.

It has a taste of alcohol, and then finishes very sweet!

Overall this is a very smooth beer, and very drinkable.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Bomber into pint glass.

Everything about this beer is thick and dark, perfect for an imperial stout. A beautiful pour, dark as sin, with a thick coffee head of about 3 fingers. Nose is very molasses-like, which continues into the taste. There is a slight bite of alcohol in the mouth and a noticeable bitterness from the hops that complemented the heavy malt body well.

The last half of the 22 was paired with some dulce de leche flavored milk chocolate. Very nice. The hop balance of the beer kept this combo from being too sweet.

22 with a chocolate interlude is about all I can handle though.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured a bottle of this into a shaker glass.

A: Pours an oilo black body with a small, dark brown head with pretty poor retention, yielding only a ring of head on the beer. There was some lacing along the sides of the glass until the finish.

S: A slightly bitter smell with some roasted barley notes.

T: A very roasted taste with some slight bitterness to it as well. There was also a nice, complimenting, coffee bean aftertaste that was very nice.

M: A fairly thick and smooth mouthfeel that was nice for the style.

D: A pretty decent mouthfeel and taste combination that was good for an Imperial Stout. The alcohol was fairly warming, but not overwhelming in the taste of the beer. A nice drinking beer overall.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

I really have been really spoiled lately by Russian Imperial Stouts, fingers crossed in hope that my lucky streak continues

Midnight black in color, and pours a creamy mocha brown head 1 finger in height that leaves behind a nice coat of lacing. No seeing through this one. Truely beautiful.

Its all here. Chocolate, caramel, red cherries, plum, vanilla, slight roasted malt scent. It blends very well together, with nothing standing out more then any other component. A very smal touch of coffee tops this off perfectly.

Dry roasts come right out to bite the tongue. A very dry and woody taste is apparent in addition to all the aforementioned. Both sweet dark and bitter chocolate. There is a slight bit of heat that takes away from the overall complexity. Not as creamy as I'd like.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Good to go as the R.I.S.'s get. Flat body, head lil earlier disappeared. Smells of smashed dates, sweet, molasses, brown sugar. Possibly fresher fruits in the aroma, cherry and grape. Body hits at a complex fermented dark fruit orgy, chocolate then raspberry. Booze is gone behind a flavorful, roasty, chocolate curtain. Lil grainy after several sips, and a hard hitter. I dig but can't get in a habit, they'd be my ruin.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The blackest sea this side of Ol' Rasputin fills my glass and I love the cinnamon head that that rests on top. An aroma that permeates through the room, one of wood, charcoal, coffee, and chocolate. Wow, that is one of the richest beers I have ever had, creamy Godiva chocolate on top of malty coffee and whip cream. An unbelievable smoothness stands out among the heavy body of Willy Wonka goodness. This is a chocolate milkshake of a brew but could be enjoyed any time of day accompanying a croissant breakfast or as an after dinner dessert. This brew is one of the heartiest and I'm begging for the winter to come get me.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

A- This maybe the darkest beer I have ever drank. It's pitch black with a rust colored head that starts as a one finger but then leaves with a film on top. That leaves good lacing. Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

S- Smells like chocolate and alcohol with a slight bit of hoppiness.

T- Has a real bitter taste but not overwhelming. You can kinda taste the alcohol but the bitterness of the hops matches with it nicely.

M- Real crisp kind of a light feel for an imperial stout. You can almost feel the alcohol burning your mouth.

D- Too many of these would leave you in gutter. Probably two or three is all you can drink. But other then that its real easy drinking.

Note- The date on the bottle was from June of 06'.

Overall a good beer and I'm quite fond of it.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours jet black with a 1/2 finger, creamy brown head. Head fades leaving tons of lace on the glass and a bit of foam on top of the beer.

Aroma is chocolate and a little bit of roasted malt. It also has hints of brown sugar and spicy alcohol. The taste is huge. Dark fruity sweetness with a bitter coffee finish and a decent hop character. Has a noticeable alcohol presence, but it's not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is very thick, and drinkability is good. This is one tasty beer.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Review from tasting notes:

Dark brown, ruby edges

Aroma: Boozy, hard to pick up other aromas around booze, light roastiness

Taste: Bitter roasted malts, huge hop presence, more bitter from roasted barley than hops, chocolate, strong alcohol

MF: Hot heat alcohol, medium to full bodied

Too much booziness in this one really keeps the flavor profile and dirnkability down. Tastes better as it warms.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Solid black pour with large dark tan head. Heavy roast, coffee, mocha, port aromas. Tastes similarly with power in each flavor, alcohol is lingering the whole time. Full bodied to say the least. I was a little surprised by the hop bitterness later on. In your face with the espresso and bitter staying with you a while. Barrel does mellow it out, but it has it's drawbacks also, so I like them about equally. Both are definetely agers.

3.19/5  rDev -24.2%

A- Pours a thick black with no light showing through. Tiny speckled lace is present.

S- Dark chocolate, some dark raisiny fruits, a good amount of boozy alcohol on the nose.

T- Starts off with a bitter chocolate, with some green apple notes, some other dark fruits, with some heat on the finish.

M- Pretty boozy on the mouth feel makes this not terribly present.

D- Drinkability really suffers on this because of the alcohol heat in the nose,taste, and mouthfeel.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

I've had this beer many times. I've never sat down and dissected it. As I do... I'm absolutely astounded. It's completely unbelievable.

Pours completely black. Two fingers of dark tan head that has soapy bubbles but lasts forever and laces down the glass. there's a very faint ruby/brown tinge when held to the light.

The aroma is that of a monster. A mammoth. I suppose a yeti. Chocolate is there, as well as a rich earthy hop background... Galena? Chinook? Coffee, alcohol, a bit of raisin/plum...

Flavor is sweet and chocolatey at first, then the hops kick your ass. The flavor really is overwhelming. Yeti is an absolutely appropriate name for this beer. There is some grain roastiness and some warmth in the alcohol note.

This beer is monstrous. Don't doubt its potency... it's in the top few RIS's I've ever had. I'd rather drink this than Darkness.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Poured from a growler into a pint glass. The beer pours dark, almost black brown with a decent, foamy dark tan head.

S - Smells of roasted malt, chocolate, maybe some brown sugar-toffee too.

T - Strong, a little dark chocolate bittersweetness, malt, licorice. There is some nice, hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M - Light carbonation, smooth, creamy, full bodied.

D - Goes down smooth, but strong.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Another cold day here in Chicago and I wanted to warm myself up. Picked this brew up at Binny's in the South Loop. Don't know that much about Great Divide but selected this because of it's reputation. The label would certainly not have enticed me but never judge a beer...

A: Poured from a bomber, I got a nice 2 finger head. Beautiful golden brown head that started clinging to the glass immediately. Slick and black looking liquid. A hint of red in the black and hardly a touch of ruby on the edges against the light - dense stuff. A thin head remained throughout and the lacing was fantastically fine.

S: Lovely deep, stale roasted malt. There's a caramel malt sweetness there too. I can smell the alcohol but it's not very dominating considering the ABV. Coffee came across dominantly in the roastiness but some tartness with the alcohol like black cherry.

T: First taste was a very big malt followed by a bite that wasn't a tart fruit, it was actually a hefty clout of hops. Very sour hop finish with a malt breadiness. Very nicely orchestrated progression and very enjoyable. When I have had brews that try to deliver massive malt and hop, one tends to dominate. With this brew, the malt is destined to win (because it's a Stout) but because the two play out at different times in the progression, you feel like they both get to have their 15 minutes of fame without butting heads. I think this qualifies it as well balanced in my book. I had a feeling that I would enjoy this as it warmed up and I wasn't wrong. Just got deeper and more malty but kept a nice hop bite that makes the finish active and leaves a hop aggressiveness in the mouth that then welcomes the return of the malt. This beer just really works for me.

M: Full bodied, smooth and creamy. Light on the carbonation. Perfect.

D: It's obviously a heavy beer but very drinkable - knocked it back way too quickly and felt the rosie cheeks and buzz. Would love to drink one after another but the high ABV makes that impossible.

I was starting to despair about not finding Stouts that I truly enjoyed but, I have broken my cold spell - this is my new go-to IRS.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Imperial Stouts are quickly becoming one of my favorite brews, especially as the temperatures drop. Yeti pours a midnight black liquid with a thin splotchy head that quickly vacates. Insane lacing. Gobs of it. Smell is a little light; but bitter chocolate, black coffee and some dark sweet fruits come through. Taste is huge and complex. A sharp alcoholic hop blast hits right away when the beer is still a bit chilled. As it warms this is balanced by a huge sweet malt bill that comes off with notes of cherry vanilla, sweet chocolate, and some harsh smokey tones. Mouthfeel is intense and satisfying. This beer will knock your socks off, but remains a highly drinkable, very enjoyable stout.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%

One of the thickest beers I've ever come across. Pours is midnight black, viscous, with no head. Roasted malts, chocolate, and toffee dominate the nose. Very thick mouthfeel with the same flavors. Light smokiness and caramel come through with it. The end is a nice bitter hop, which is different end for such a heavy beer. Don't plan on having a heavy meal within 24 hours of this one.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz bottle cellared approx. 1 1/2 years. Poured into a snifter. Thanks to demcorhip for getting this for me, albeit over a year ago!

Pours thick and black as used motor oil with a wisp of tan head and a bubbly ring around the glass. Ridiculously dark. Thin lace clinging to the sides. Heavy duty aromas of burnt sugar, molasses, figs, plums, anise, dark chocolate, espresso, and lots of herbal and acidic hop notes. Wow! incredibly complex aroma, ballsy yet oddly warming, getting close to a 5.

Once this entered my mouth the whole thing just set off an explosion of the taste buds and the alcohol sent it straight to my nose. So much malt in here, but the hops just balance it so well. There's a monstrous amount of both! Bitter chocolate and herbal licorice off the top, then astringent citric hops, coffee beans, vanilla, light brown sugar/molasses. Mouthfeel is so massive, near syrupy but I wouldn't expect anything less from a monster like this. Medium-low carbonation. I will not have a problem finishing this bomber by myself, and I'll be looking for more next time I hit the States.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a beer lover's beer. This is not for the meek. If you are a true stout enthusiast, you will love this one. When I first poured this into my glass, I wanted to take a picture it was so beautiful. Jet black with a wonderful, rich, mocha-colored head. You know a stout is going to be good when the head is so thick and creamy is looks like it could fit on top of a meringue pie! Sticking my nose into the glass I got a rich dose of hops plus a dark, roasty, raisiny aroma from the malts. This is a beer that bulges out of its seams on both ends. Not only does it have all the richness you would expect from such a heavy roast on the malts, but it also delivers a HUGE hop wallop. Nothing faint here. This one gives it to ya straight up. Body is huge! - as full as full gets. Flavor is packed with tons of dark-roasted malt, with dried black fruit, bittersweet chocolate, anise, tobacco, and burnt sugar. The noble dose of hops balances out the big malt attack, leaving you completely and utterly satiated. If this beer doesn't satisfy even the biggest of beer cravings, I don't know what would. An awesome product of craftmanship. I've had some other beers from this brewery that I remember liking quite a lot but haven't had in some time. After drinking this one tonight, I'm going to revisit this brewery. What a beer!! Two thumbs up!

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%

Reviewed on 4/19/08. Bottle (probably was sitting around for awhile). Pours dark black with a beautiful thick light brown head. Aroma of chocolate, hops. I loved the hop profile of this beer! Flavor of hops, roasted malt. Mouthfeel was a little less rich and dense compared to the Oaked Yeti. Yum! 8/5/8/4/16 (4.1/5)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this beer on tap as part of a Beer fest at Union Jack' @ the Matawney Inn. The pour was a deep black almost molasses like with a one finger dark tan head. The smells were very strong of bitter chocolate and sweet like brown sugar, it smelled delicious. The taste was just as good as it smells with hints of coffee and oak/smokey flavors as well as chocolate. The drinkability was down just a bit since it is high in alcohol. It is more like a sipping beer. This Beer is a must try !

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company