Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

If someone were to ask me what an American Double Stout tastes like, I would point them to the direction of this beer. I love the pour. Deep dark dankness with a large cappachino like frothy head that holds nicely. Tons of lacing. Looks like a meal! Aroma is strong on the roasted tones and sharp tingly hops. Mildly citric after it's all said and done. Taste brings about more of these intense flavors. A super strong roasted black strap molasses flavor off the bat. Unsweetened chocolate comes next. A shot of espresso hits me in the middle. The hops are there the whole time but a huge hop strike gets me after the espresso. Very piney and somewhat bittering. Finish has a dry grainy bitterness to it and then chocolate coats the mouth. Lingers nicely. Quite a sipper with all the intensity. Well worth the price. A great example of the American Double Stout style!

granger10, Mar 18, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a dark, dark viscous black with a small rocky head that is almost as dark as the beer. Smells of burned coffee and toasted malt, with a bit of earthy hop notes as well.

Tastes much like it smells, predominantly of black malt and coffee. Towards the finish, there is a very slight taste of alcohol that merges nicely into a bitter hop flavor. Even better, right after the hops come in, I could detect a chocolatey flavor that just made the taste experience even better.

Mouth feel: standard imperial stout fare, medium carbonation with a full, chewy body. Drinkability is about medium, but I could drink a lot of this stuff, just because it tastes so damn good.

An outstanding Impy Stout from the Great Divide.

beertastegood, Mar 11, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Say hello to my little friend. A very dark brown in color with a well defined 1/3 inch tan bubbly head. The nose is first of hops, let’s get that clear; this is inviting; some chocolate and alcohol are also detected in the aroma. Lip smacking offerings – dark roasted coffee, some vanilla beans and some tender/bitter hops. Oh so tasty; alcohol offerings are right there in the body combined with intense grape and plum flavorings. Warming only intensifies this rich stout. An absolutely incredible and cleansing palate for the style. Very stiff; roasted malts round out the body. Full bodied and full of flavor; one of the top Imperial Stouts; search out this bad boy and enjoy!

GeoffRizzo, Mar 05, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Good double/imperial stout (I'm not sure what the difference is). Pours an extrodinary deep black color, decent head to start, but it receeds quickly. Aroma is of straight up black patent roasted malt. Taste is similar to aroma, mostly the roasted burnt flavor of roasted malt coming into play, with a bit of an alcohol hit. Mouthfeel is a good bit thin and overcarbonated for a double/imperial stout. Not a bad one, but not a bit one dimensional on the roasty flavors for me.

deejaydan, Feb 21, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Very black. Just barely deep garnet around the base of the glass when held to the light. Minimal but very sufficient chocolate brown head. Leaves nice lacing.

Wonderful nose on this beast. Big herbal hops. Very sharp, pungent. Some sharp roasted notes. All this accented with hints of ethanol.

This beer doesn't taste as good as it smells. It tastes good...don't get me wrong. But it isn't very rich. Its kind of one dimensional. Has big hop character, big malt character, roasty, chocolate, caramel, but that's about it. No port or wine notes. No rich fruity yeast character. Nothing super interesting. Just a little too clean for me to be a great tasting beer.

Great mouthfeel. Thick and creamy without over doing it.

Drinkable, and it had better be coming in this 22oz bomber, but a little cloying and salty towards the end.

cerevisiaephilus, Feb 14, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1%

The pour was pitch black and very thick. A good one finger beige/brown head formed on top, it dissapated and left nice beige/brown lace on the glass that held on throughout the drink.

The smell was rich with coffee, chocolate, roasted malt and a strange fruit on the front of the nose. A hint of hops is hidden in the rear of the nose.

The drink started with a rush of chocolate, toffee and coffee. The middle was thick and chewy with a hint of hops. The finish was suprisingly clean with only lingering hops and coffee to remind you of the great beer that just past your tongue.

This was an excellent example of the style. My cousin and fellow BA, Brent, got this one for me and I must say thanks. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the Great Divide Brewing Company.

coasterfreak75, Jan 30, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

22oz’s of Imperial Stout…it’s a beautiful thang. Pouring out into my goblet it leaves the bottle with viscous reluctance. The body is dead black, impenetrable, etc. thin brown head emerges and then recedes to a thin ring about the edge of the glass and a greasy cap. The nose is ripe with damp, dark berry esters, charred malt, coffee and bitter chocolate. Berries and bitter chocolate up front on my palate, all the great flavors of a good Imperial Stout are here espresso, charred malt. One thing that set this apart from other Imp Stouts to me though is the fresh green hop presence, almost immediately I started tasting citrus/pine hop flavors and they just became more prevalent into the finish. Bravo!, this may be the hoppiest stout I’ve had to date. The mouthfeel is a tad lacking, not too shabby anyway. That charred bitter/hoppy aftertaste is mind-blowing though, I have to get more of this!

FormatKid, Jan 29, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours jet black with a large dark tan 1” head. Smell is dominated by alcohol, with strong hops present, makes sense, with a listed IBU level of 75. Smell does not have as much of a coffee presence as most stouts. Taste is not for the rookie or the faint of heart. Booming flavors of coffee and alcohol immediately greet you, and then finishes with a titanic portion of hops. The 3 huge flavors balance each other out and make this a true sipper for both the hophead and the stout fiend. Excellent and very drinkable for the high IBU and ABV.

TastyTaste, Jan 22, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours to a deep dark brown with just a ring of light brown for head. It leaves spotty lacing. The aroma is malty and roasty, coffee and chocolate-like. Kinda chocolate cake-like in aroma. The flavor is malty and very roasty with a coffee and slighty chocolate taste. This is a full bodied brew that kicks ass over storm queen & expedition. I really wanna try this one oak aged. I'm glad I had the opportunity to present StuBob with such a great beer...even though he is unworthy....he can be a real bitch don't ya know.

BeerBuilder, Jan 22, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Wow. Huge espresso and cocoa aroma with a thick tan head that leaves lacing down the sides of my glass. I think, "oh boy, oh boy, is this going to be a good stout." I'm correct in my thinking. Big, intense chocolate-cocoa flavors give way to some biting hops and black coffee bitterness, before a chocolate liqeur-like finish coated with a biting bitterness from hops. This stout is intense! A bit tartness in the finish, which seems to get drier the more I drink -- is this tannins? Reminds me of the flourless chocolate tart I had for dessert yesterday. A thick and chewy stout; finally something worthy of tonight's sub zero weather.

marcobrau, Jan 15, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Deep black in color with a very nice tight tan head. Just a beautiful beer, it really is. Nice roasted aroma-coffee and vanilla note. Big roasted malt flavor-not overly done either. Port like flavors. Oakey,raisens,vanilla and chocolate all meld into a heavenly mix. Great "inky" mouthfeel-silky smooth. I could drink this stuff all night. Has to be one of the top 3 or 4 imperials I think I have ever had. Get some.

lackenhauser, Jan 13, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +10%

Egad, I could not get enough of this beer. 100% opaque, onyx black with a bubbly chocolate head. Sweet smoky chocolate coffee roast flavor, with a light milky sourness. It's as thick as a mouthful of maple syrup, you've got to love a heavy beer to drink this stuff. Could you guess it was malty? Very, very malty. But in a good way. A great way. A holy-crap-I-just-bought-out-the-bar way. I love 9%-plus beers that come in alluring 22oz bottles. Might be a good idea tape a car service's number to the bottle.

PopeJonPaul, Jan 09, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +4%

First of all, this is poundboy's fiance, reviewing... because for some reason that rests between this site and our computer, we can only seem to have one user, not two or more.

Appearance: Fabulous! Pours very black with a very dark, almost wood colored head. I don't normally pour very vigorously, as I tend not to drink the yeast (btw this brew doesn't seem to have a yeast sediment, but well, live and learn) It's a very fine bubbled, merangue-like head. Absolutely fabulous!!

Smell: Coffee, malt, hops, hops, and coffee, and malt. And hops. Did I mention hops and coffee? :-)

Taste: Yummmm!! I love Imperial stouts! Like really Love.... had to go in the other room for a minute to be alone with my beer.... JUST KIDDING... sort of. It is darkly rich and coffee-like, lots of roasted barley, black patent malt I'm sure and then the hops come slamming in. And then once you've registered roastiness, and hoppiness (in very quick succession) then it's alcohol. Warming in throat and belly, and mouth, just plain ol' good IRS alkeehawl. It's a sipper, as expected, and grew a bit too hoppy at times as it warmed, till I went back and cooled it down with the rest of the bottle out of the fridge. So for that, I'd say it could maybe be a little less hoppy, but at this point, with more than three quarters of my bomber gone, I don't care that much.

Mouthfeel: I've had thicker IRS's and thinner ones, and I prefer them with more body, but not so much that this is a genuine complaint (I mean I gave it a 4) It is nicely carbonated and this handles the alcohol well.

Drinkability: Bring 'em on!!! Only I have to be at work at 7:30 tomorrow morning.... no that's not the point. I'll finish this bottle quite happily and stumble off to bed and have very pleasant dreams but to have any more than that would be asking for trouble. Meaning.... this beer is tasty!!!! and it's kicking my butt!!!! So I'll finish it and wish for more and go to bed. G'nite!

poundboy, Jan 09, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

22oz bottle purchased somewhere in VA, one of many things gathered at either Vienna Whole Foods, Norm's, or Westpark Wine & Beer.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a big-bubbled (in places), uneven 1/4" dark brown head over the black brew. What head there is stays as is, but no lacing at all. Aroma is of sweet, dark malts and alcohol. Flavor is similar to the nose, but the coffee flavor is more pronounced. Mouthfeel is okay, but the bitterness is somewhat off-putting, and I wish there was some semblence of carbonation happening here. Drinkability is limited by same. Ok stout, but had higher hopes...

ppoitras, Jan 05, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

22 oz. bottle pours a pitch black fluid with a nice brown head. Awesome lacing. Earthy, woody smell with toffee and fresh hops.
Viscosity is 10w 40 weight motor oil. Taste is of toasted malts, coffee,dark chocolate with a slight sweetness of dark plums. Has a pleasantly bitter blackened malt, rich coffee taste finish followed by a nice, fresh hop tasting burp.
A great Stout.

beerceller99, Jan 04, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a deep dark black being in a cave with no lights black, sitting on top is this big dark brown head, mud from the cave no doubt. The head receeds to a ring surrounding many clumps of foam floating in the middle, leaves a light coating of lace, a very fine looking stout.
Aroma is roasted malts with plenty of hops some coffee notes manage to escape this citrus and pine onslaught but the hops dominate the nose of this beast.
Taste is good say mediumish roasted malt flavors not as intense as other double stouts. Coffee expresso flavor turn bitter and the hops take over the show with some light alcohol hints arising with the grapefruit, pine and oragne peel mixture. Some where in the middle of the hop onslaught some sweet chocolate notes come up and stay around for the bitter finish.
Mouthfeel is pretty good almost full and creamy but not quite there, a nice big beer though.
Drinkability is good a nice double stout hop heads will rejoice. While I do love hops thought this was a little lacking in the roasted barley character that it needed to be a great double but then again that could be just me. Hell worth buying just to look at.

mntlover, Jan 02, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: A deep brown head that borders on black, quite thick and creamy, retains well.

Aroma: Sweet dark bread and malt aroma, dark fruits, mild hops, and quite intense alcohol.

Taste: Begins with an intense wave of sweet, dark malt, which carries throughout. Prominent citrus hops are present, but they seem to be restrained by the malt flavor. Finishes dry with sweet alcohol notes and a lingering medicinal bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, creamy, extraordinarily rich and full, with very soft carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Rich and pleasant, very drinkable, extreme, but nonetheless, excellent, but best taken in small servings. I find it difficult to imagine drinking a bomber of this by myself.

Pegasus, Jan 01, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Thicker than snot and darker than black. A surprisingly poofy, espesso foam head forms after a rather vigorous poor. The damn bottle weighed noticeably more than the other bombers in my fridge. This is a monster.

Nose is surprisingly sweet with traces of C hops and alcohol. Lots of rich, carmelized and burnt aspects apparent. Not as vinuous in the nose as a lot of impy stouts, but still with a slight, date and fig asspect. Bitter chocolate is apparent. This is just the nose.

Sweeping, huge-bodied thickness in the mouth, carbonation forms a pleasing tingling roundness. The roast and the bitter chocolate come through at first, with the pleasing, though subdued, grapefruit hops peeking out. Rolls smoothly from chocolate, to nutty toffee and thick lucious caramel rolled and a fruity port. Finish is lingering and layered with mild, bitter hops and espresso beands in dark chocolate.

One hell of an Imperial Stout and up there with Expedition in my mind. Great beer.

nogoodreason, Dec 23, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -44.2%

As I often write of my hubby, I got this email one morning after he had ventured on his own into Beerdom. Serves him right for not waiting for me to try a beer.

Yow!

It's an extreme representation of the style, to say the least. It hurt, it really did.

It was excellent at first, hard to put down...and then, it was hard to put down the last of it. What went from a friendly woody/nutty charm soon went way too deep into the forest. It was a stout in every sense of the word/style. When it got warm, it was like a big woody log that you just had trouble swallowing.

In the end, it left a great big impression on the wrong side of the love it/hate it side of the fence...so sorry this one didn't make it. I had such high hopes!

Guinness4me, Dec 13, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Wow, this pours with an incredibly rich and frothy full brown colored head. The beer itself is, of course an opaque pitch black color. The aroma is quite surprising, it is not very strong at all, and after my first sniff nothing has really jumped out at me, perhaps a hint of port. It smells a bit of musty mild cheese, a hint of roasted coffee notes, and some alcohol, but that is it. The taste... well now, that is what I am expecting. All the power of this beer concentrates itself in the taste, after all what does a Yeti need with aromatics, it doesn't want to be tracked down. The taste is full and creamy up front with concentrated notes of espresso and a solid hop bitterness in the finish. This beer is thick and viscous, just like it should be. The malty sweetness is hidden by the deep roast malt notes. I get notes of burnt caramel, leather, charcoal, burnt raisins, and dark chocolate. This is a good example of an Imperial stout, but like a brute it is nice and simple, but still packs a powerful wallop of roasted grain flavors.

This is certainly enjoyable, and I am quite glad that the beer is quite a bit more flavorable than the aroma suggests, perhaps my schnozz is not working quite as well as it should be.

Gueuzedude, Dec 11, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -37.1%

Pours with a gooey, burnt sienna head of small, tight bubbles that clumps and laces nicely. Beer is black (duh) with typical Imperial Stout viscosity. Smells strongly of grapefruit and asphalt from the bottle alone. From the glass: very strong, grapefruity hops; sappy pine cones and tar. Finishes like gin (?) as in juniper... and baking chocolate with... yuck, an ammonia-like chemical bite. The biggest problem with the smell, though, is the same as with the flavor--the burning. Initial sips suggest a burnt raisiny sweetness, before being pummeled away by raw grapefruit and carbon. I'm not talking tasty burnt toast/popcorn or the charred fruit tastes of a good Imperial Stout; this is like sucking on a stick of charcoal, or at best, a 50/50 shot of espresso and unsweetened grapefruit juice. Sound good? Aftertaste suggests chocolate-covered coffee beans... why couldn't this have been the flavor of the beer while I was actually drinking it?? Mouthfeel is heavy, sticky, and tingling from bitterness alone; not what you'd call smooth. If a beer's to be "drinkable" it needs to be balanced first, folks. I admit I came in with high expectations for this beer, but for me at least, this is a huge disappointment.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Dec 10, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +4%

Glugs out a black as dark as the Mariana Trench. Very nice malted milk-colored head. Smell's a touch weak, but what I can detect is nice. Taste is a little bitter, but sweet at the same time, with figgy raisin flavors dominating. Mouthfeel's creamy, but the aftertaste isn't the greatest. Alcohol is well hidden. Not that I'd gulp this down, but it's highly drinkable.

This is an outstanding Imperial Stout, very warming on a cold fall night/early morning. I think this beer and I are going to get to know each other much better as the weather grows colder.

skybluewater, Dec 02, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Buh-lack used motor oil 99.1% opaque with only a welder’s torch light making a dent in that curtain of a black hole. Delicious looking frothy sticky buh-rown tan head cap foam that settles but remains. Suh-weet! Carbonation factor: Unknown due to murky turgid river darkness. Lace sticks like the glass was spray painted.

Basic scents of heavy stout like some hops brilliance under a pile of toasted coffee bean meets pumpernickel. Like a Samuel Smith RIS, these folks at GREAT DIVIDE have it nailed in their own way

First Swigs: Dry pancake flour and hops bittering. Plenty of fresh tasty hop balance to push back the monster malts. Long lasting aftertaste of “well known 19th letter of the alphabet coffee chain” coffee. Baker’s chocolate. Tons and tons of flavors! Endless quagmire of intricacies. Roasted and toasted malts that leave a pumpernickel

Get out a Boy Scout knife and a fork! This is as thick as thick can be. Chewy and full (Anna Nicole Smith) Full bodied. Runs into a dead end in overall DR tho’.

Last Swigs: Cocoa baker’s chocolate meets pumpernickel and leafy hops. Tongue devastating ruin. 9.5% ABV. 75 IBuA palate destroyer. Thus not a perfect drinker. My only gripe is that towards the end, burnt hamburger overtook. Big thanks to SkinnyElvis for the bottle.

Beer is good. Happy RIS beering.

blitheringidiot, Nov 24, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I grabbed a bomber of this brew while visiting the brewery during the BA crawl at GABF this year. I am drinking in a snifter at room temp. The beer pours pitch black with a huge tan head foaming up easily and fading slowly to a substantial surface layer.
Aroma is very hoppy with pine and grassy scents dominant. I also detect some coffee and roasted malt backing underneath.
THe drinking commences and reveals a thick body and smooth creamy texture. the carbonation is gentle and rolls over my palate. Flavor is roasty almost to the point of smokiness, some espresso notes and a bit of crispy piney hops come through as well. The finish is briefly chocolate sweet and then finishes coffee bitter. A very tasty beer and robust and complex as well. I enjoyed this oak aged on draft at the brewery as well, but that was so many beers in already. Definitely buy this one if you are in Denver.

sulldaddy, Nov 17, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

The one leaves the bottle, looking a bit like morot oil being poured, as it was so black and so thick. The head is 2 fingers that falls to a quarter inch, and it is a really dark tan...the darkest head I have ever seen on a beer. The nose is a lot of fig initially, with dark chocolate covered espresso beans coming through. The flavor is really interesting. The initial taste is a blast of dark fruits with a lot of alcohol in there. This moves to a really potent bitter coffee, finishing with a sweet and bitter dancing on my tongue. The finish is almos a bit much for me. Really complex in my opinion. The feel is thick and syrupy, totally coating my mouth. can't get much better than that. The drinkability is okay. Its a little much for me to handle on my own. I sure wish my friends were here to share this.

kmpitz2, Nov 05, 2004