Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
jaylib

ctrevino

12-04-2012 03:52:25 | More by ctrevino
billshmeinke

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap at Blue Palms. Poured into a snifter.

One inch rocky dark beige head that stays and astays. Sits atop a pitch black body. Lacing just coates the glass, and the retention is exceptional. Really pretty.

Nose is kinda hop dominated. Pine and earth. Some roast notes and just the slightest hint of bakers chocolate and malted milk balls. Has some milk/sweet stout notes.

The taste is really roasty, almost smokey. Baker's chocolate. Not really sweet at all. Really earthy and some piney hops. A smoke and slightly piney flavor lingers. The malted milk balls scent I got in the nose seems more like oxidation in the taste.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and super creamy, full bodied and slightly sticky/coating. Just spot on.

Overall quite good. The earthiness is a little much and there seems like there's some oxidation. A bit more sweetness would be welcomed.

10-01-2010 06:26:16 | More by billshmeinke
martino_cappachino

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 22 oz glass into a beeradvocate recommended pint glass.

About a finger-tip length of dark foamy, head... almost at points appearing a dark cherry in hues. Medium-sized to large bubbles that never fully diminish.

Sky black, thick dark fondue chocolate in appearance... Feels like it's completely engulfing the glass, and becoming its own entity as I let it warm...

Aromas of lots of roasted malt. Some notes of black licorice, bourbon vanilla and beachwood as the brew warms.

Surprising amount of citrus hop in first sips, which was completely unexpected. Expresso bitterness in between sips. Spices started loading up as the beer warmed, and gained subtle notes of a sort of smooth chocolate vodka / liquor (Black Russian?)... Accidently sent some of this brew down the wrong tube though, and the IBU's and alcohol were quite apparent.

Smooth mouthfeel, a little more carbonation than compared with a Guiness. Slight tingle with every sip when cold.

Wanted very much to enjoy this beer more than I did. But I feel like I've had better stouts. Maybe the 72% cacao w/ expresso nibs chocolate bar I accompanied withh the brew wasn't the right choice (too sweet)? Or I was just thinking about the review too much... All in all, maybe I just need to try and enjoy this beer more than once.

04-18-2012 09:24:54 | More by martino_cappachino
dar482

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

This was bottled on July 30, 2012. It’s been sitting around for 10 months.

The beer is a wonderful pitch black with a light tan head

The aroma has a bit of dark fruit, which is different for a stout. Then there’s big roast, chocolate, a bit of caramel sweetness, burnt sugar. There’s a bit of booze in there too, despite the aging.

The flavor follows with the roast and bitter chocolate.

However, the finish has this strange flavor behind it. It’s a huge amount of bitterness, but instead of grapefruit bitterness like IPAs, it’s a chalkiness. My friend related it to licking an envelope. The bitterness and strange metallic flavor really stands out instead of the smoothness. Sitting at 75 IBUs, this is quite bitter as the sweet malt does not counterbalance it much.

I’ve had the Oak Aged, Chocolate OA, and Espresso OA Yetis. This isn’t far from it. For me, Oak Aged and Chocolate hid that strange bitterness on the end much better than this or Espresso. The bitterness stands out in this and sort of messes up the beer for me. Not my kind of beer. It’s not poorly made, but not really for me.

05-31-2013 05:03:52 | More by dar482
doppelmeup

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

I tried this during a RIS sampling evening at my house. My overall impression was that this was terribly over-hopped to the point that it tasted more like an IPA than an impy stout. Reminiscent of Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale. And compared to the other RIS's we tasted, this was my least favorite.

A: very dark, decent head and lacing
S: quite hoppy, some roasted and smoky overtones
t: much too hoppy for my tastes. while I expect there to be some roasted and hop bitterness, this was just not balanced well enough for my tastes.
M: Thick, but too much lingering hop bitterness
D: With so many other RIS choices, I wouldn't spend the $$ on this again.

06-06-2008 17:23:32 | More by doppelmeup
EvilKeith

Alabama

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

In the glass it was black, not dark brown, full blown black. When I held it to the light I still could not determine it's clarity or lack thereof.
If you were to take 8 ounces of milk and add 4 heaping tablespoons of Nestle's Quik powder that would be close to the color of this dense mousse-like head.
Lace was indulgently thick and sticky.

Smell was dark toasty malts, chocolate milk (Whopper Malted Milk Balls), sweet dark fruits. The reported 75 IBUs and the alcohol were well hidden.

Taste is charred sweet dark fruits, bitter coffee beans and warming alcohol. Perfumy, bitter, lingering aftertaste.

Medium-heavy bodied. Creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Looked incredible, smelled like heaven on earth. I just really had trouble getting past the heavily perfumed after-taste. I could not drink this regularly. Sorry guys.

05-17-2006 22:25:50 | More by EvilKeith
sacfly

Maryland

22oz
Pours a very impressive black with a cascade of dark brown bubbles. Awesome head. I found myself watching the head settle. Again, awesome.

Smell is burnt, coffee, a hint of chocolate. Taste is a let down. Alcohol dominates the palate. Medium body, coffee and black grains but alcohol and more alcohol dominate. I could not get past it.

I may get it again just to watch it settle, but the alcohol is not well hidden. 9.5% i'll give it a break, but alcohol... man...

12-28-2005 03:36:41 | More by sacfly
briman

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Served from bottle in standard pint glass.

Poured pitch black, with a small tan/brown head that dissipated pretty quickly.

Aroma seems very chocolatey, with notes of coffee mixed in with dark roasted malts.

Taste is of dark roasted malts, slightly sweet, leaning more towards a burnt malt flavor in the finish, accompanied by a slight hop bitterness.

Smooth, slick mouthfeel....coats as it goes down. Medium to full bodied...maybe a little too burnt for my taste...so, for me it's probably the type of beer that is limited to one in a sitting.

03-25-2006 06:42:07 | More by briman
hotstuff

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

When poured, the head was small, light brown with fine-large sized bubbles that completely diminished. The body of this beer was opaque and uncarbonated with a black hue. The nose was that of chocolate and roasted coffee with a chocolate and coffee taste to it. The mouthfeel was smooth and full bodied. This beer had a fair amount of lacing to it.

10-28-2003 23:55:17 | More by hotstuff
FLAbeergutinMASS

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Impressive looking beer. Deep, deep brown, almost black appearance with a tannic laced head. Heavy chocolate and toffee whiffs along with a pretty serious alcohol parfait. Very hoppy and very bitter, unfortunately they do not balance out the strong coffee and chocolate flavors. Way too heavy of a beer, too strong in the alcohol department, too heavy in the stomach, I am not sure when or what you could eat when drinking this beer. This is a well crafted beer that from its rating definitely has some fans, I'm not one of them.

05-21-2005 21:30:08 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
RichT73

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Wow! This was a meal for me. I honestly shouldn't have eaten anything before drinking this beer because it filled me up considerably. I should have known it was filling by the pour, which was almost like a melted chocolate. Considering how much this beer tastes like coffee and chocolate (and some toffee) I'm surprised it's not yet available at Starbucks. With all that being said, this is kind of a tossup for me, somewhat of a hophead. I did enjoy the taste, but it became more and more difficult to drink the more I had. Wouldn't get it again, but I wouldn't turn down a free one either.

Serving type: growler

01-27-2009 00:44:52 | More by RichT73
BadRockBeer

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Serving Type Sampled: Out of a 22oz. crown top brown bottle at the Pump House in Longmont CO.

Appearance: Pours black with crimson hue. Very nice 2 finger mocha head that last throughout.

Smell: Bourbon, banana, vanilla and alcohol.

Taste: This is another complex extreme beer. The huge malt is rather apparent fight up front. There is a residual sweetness that is kind of cloying. There is a huge bourbon taste as a result from the oak aging. The hops are subtle but never the less still tasty.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, light carbonation.

Drinkability: Poor, I really found this to be a great beer however I could only enjoy it in small pours, maybe 4-5oz. at a time.

04-22-2007 03:19:08 | More by BadRockBeer
AleWatcher

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Had this at a tasting held by the esteemed DVelcich. Between him and StoutFest, we had some crazy good beers. This is reviewed from notes.

This poured very dark, almost black. The head was tannish white with almost a greyness to it. The lace was present, but unimpressive.

Smells like any imp stout should smell... Big roasty chocolate notes with coffee kicking the back end. This actually seems to have a much hoppier presence than I remember this beer having, and in checking the bottled on date we find it isn't even a month old yet.

Taste hits just like nose, bitter chocolate, like baking cocoa, and some coffee notes that taste slightly unfresh. I also pick up a little bit of soy sauce, which is quite off-putting. It actually really hurts the taste in my opinion, because after 2 sips when I narrowed in that soy sauce flavor, it has become all I can focus on. Very tough to pick up on the other nuances of the beer when all I can think about is how much I hate soy sauce. If it wasn't in there, then this could be much higher in taste and in drinkability. I just can't see myself drinking this one very much. The mouthfeel is spot on, with great carbonation and a nice full thick robust body.

05-09-2010 04:56:53 | More by AleWatcher
erz316

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

botled on Aug 10 2009, poured form 12floz bottle into maudite snifter.

A - this is an incredible looking stout, I can find no flaw. just be sure to pour very gently, it makes a lot of foam. right now I have a full 3 fingers. the body is pitch black, no light getting in anywhere anyhow. the head is made of tiny bubbles, that retain insanely well. the top of the head is this glossed over, smooth creamy foam, and in the center are the bigger bubbles--kind of the same way a pancake cooks on a griddle. A perfect looking stout? Well, it meets all my criteria, and it looks good, so I'd say yes! let me reiterate how well that head retains: several minutes into the review, it is still just as high. finally, 16 minutes into the review the head has come down.

S - this actually smells a bit more hoppy than malty, huh. there are definitely malts there, just the floral freshness of the hops take priority on the senses. but the malts arent all that noticeable, save a slightly earthy chocolate-ness. I'm a bit dissapointed here.

T - not bad. not a knock out either. the initial taste is primarily malty, real big on the roasted malts. a tad sweet, but nothing too much. there is a certain mustiness, maybe it is the yeast. the hops are still quite noticeable, not just their bitterness, however. this is not much to my liking, but hey, its not my brewery. the finish has a distinctive anise and alcohol flavour, and the persistent hoppy-ness. the aftertaste is much more like a stout: bitter, slightly sweet, roasted. this brew isnt much of an ris, its far too hoppy and is more of a simple bitterness than anything else. it tastes pretty good, but not especially great. with all them hops, it sure was easy to mask the alcohol.

MF&D - a good heavy body with medium intense carbonation. the body feels pretty good, but the drinkability will suffer along with the taste

09-25-2009 01:38:40 | More by erz316