Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,720 | Hads: 5,082

This beast is heavy.

A: Poured from a bottle 4 days after bottling. Didn't even have time to put a bottled on date on the label. Poured a thick, jet black syrup in my glass. The beast has a nice brown head that dissipates pretty quickly.

S: The beast smells of chocolate, roasty-like and coffee smelling. Second whiff brings bits of caramel and toffee to the mix as well. Quite complex.

T: Damn, this beast packs a wollop. First I was hit in the face by deep roasty character, but after that subsided, it backhanded me with a pretty strong citrus character. Also, there is a nice caramel, chocolate and toffee tone, but nothing like that coffee upper cut which left me helpless on the snow at the beast's mercy. Very
good.

M: This beast has thick weight on the palate. Quite heavy on the entire palate, but still fairly dry. The malt character especially dries out at the end to lure you into that false sense of safety for the hop blow, which dries out in the end as well.

O: This is a superb beer. I will definitely throw myself in front of the next Yeti I see in snowy Kansas and test the power that is such.

I also picked up the Oak Aged Yeti, but I can only deal with 1 beast per night. I must rest up before I take on the next one.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Brown bomber, no date. Lists 75 IBU’s. Yeti… a tribute/knockoff of Bigfoot?
Aroma: Rather mild aroma, a good dose of hops, seems like Cascade, some roasted malt and alcohol notes. It smells good, just not powerful at the pour. As it warmed, some nice stewed plums and raisin scents came out.
Appearance: Good LORD! I’ve never seen a head that dark. Looks like brown shoe polish but faded pretty quickly into the inky body. Only the slightest peek of deep brown at the edges. The head died completely but left a wisp of lace here and there. Looks like motor oil.
Flavor: Impressive. The hops take the stage after a very balanced opening. The hops are juicy and citric. While there is almost an Imperial IPA hop taste going, I didn’t get much bitter until deep in the aftertaste. It’s like an IIPA that just kept adding rich roasted malt until most of the bitter went away, but stopped before the malt taste kicked in. There are some coffee tastes as well as some dark fruit. The one thing I don’t taste is alcohol, and as warm as the room seems to be getting, that’s scary.
Have to say it again: balanced, massive, heavy handed balance, but the hop tastes predominate in the end.
Mouthfeel: Almost milkshake thick. I can almost form it into different shapes in my mouth. It has a heavy creamy consistency and a mouth numbing effect. This stuff is so thick I’m chewing well after the swallow. Left sticky lips
Overall Impression: Outstanding! The subtle Bigfoot analogy holds true: big hops, rock solid malt base, stunning alcohol, no noted flaws. Drinkability? This is TOO drinkable. Great Divide went big, and it paid off! This is a very enjoyable beer. I think it’s a bit hoppy for the style (erm, which style, what format), but it’s hard to argue with the results. Strongly recommended, but in small glasses with several friends.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is black as motor oil on the pour and has a deep mocha colored head. The nose is a nice mixture of deeply roasted malts - black licorice, milk chocolate and smokey burnt coffee, as well as an assertive west coast citrusy hop pressence. The taste begins with the citrusy, piney hops and transitions into the burnt malty flavors and has a little alcohol bite. The finish is rather smooth and leaves a nice combo of the hops and roasted malt on the palate and just a hint of alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is very viscous, chewy and has little carbonation, just like a RIS should be. Drinkability is high for such a big beer with such huge flavor but I wouldn't recommend chugging this one!

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance - This beer is darker than dark with a beautiful, full head. The head is very dark as well, a solid milky brown I'd say, and laced the hell out of my class. It was a beauty shop in the best sense.

Smell - This bouquet is a nice mix of roasty malts, coffee grounds, and dark chocolate from the finest shop in San Francisco. The raw coffee grounds and dark chocolate work incredibly well together, giving this one a very bitter nose.

Taste - Oh, this is really good. The notes from the nose are here in spade, but the roasted malts are super-juiced and are much sweeter at the tongue. It's a dark sweetness, again like chocolate, maybe mixed with some brown sugar. The alcohol, which I didn't pick up at the nose, is very much present at the taste. This is very rich and has what I call a "pre-aged" flavor, meaning that it takes on that good, syrupy flavor that you get after aging a strong, complex stout.

Mouthfeel - This medium to full-bodied stout is slick in the mouth and very bitter. The big sugars take the bite out of the bitterness and the huge alcohol warms the throat. All the flavors play amazingly well in the mouth. This has what I consider to be a perfect balance of dark, bitter malts, light leafy hop dryness, mouth-puckering sugars, and a sharp but mature alcohol warmth.

Drinkability - This was beer, dinner, and dessert all rolled into one. It was incredibly drinkable for such a big ADS.

Comments - Do not age this beer. Drink as is for best results.

Update - It had been five years since I've had this beer before they started selling it in SoCal so thought I'd give my original review an update.

I wrote before about how dark and beautiful the head was but just can't emphasize it enough. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful heads I have ever seen and it sticks around for eternity. As you drink the beer the film leaves thick rings on the inside of your mug almost like ring on a tree bark.

The only other thing that I would add, which I mentioned at the end of my original review, is that although this style of beer is good for aging, this should be consumed upon purchase. You age a big, dark, malty beer like this to bring out the sugars but the sweets here are so well-developed that there's no need to hold this in a cellar.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

The prince of darkness, this one is as deep as a freshly roasted espresso.
Almost black in color, with a 2 fingered chocolate brown head, this beers appearance is incredible.The super chocolatey aroma leads me straight into an ecstacy of chocolate and smokey oak flavors.
The taste is fruity, almost plum flavored as it layers into a vanilla- latte creaminess with a nice bitter chocolate finish.
Smoked flavor is an oaky woodiness that compliments the fruit flavor nicely.
More chocolate aftertaste than any stout I have tried so far.
A grand and definitely Imperial Stout.
I may have found heaven.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: This beer pours a solid black liquid with a well stacked creamy brown head. Lots of web-like laceing left behind after a few swallows.

Smell: The aromas are strong wafts of chocolate, toasted wheat bread, premium coffee blend, and a potent alcohol is noted. Also, I am getting some dark fruits such as raisins and fig.

Taste: This resembles some of those dark chocolate candies with the burst of liqueor on the inside. Coffee notes are still present, light soy sauce, some wood notes, and a vague licorice.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy motor oil, sweetness upfront with a very strong alcohol presence throughout. High carbonation.

Drinkability: This has always been a great beer for me. This isn't what I would call one of the best, but lets just say I keep coming back to it. It's definitely worth the try.

Cheers2Beers

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours out black as heck with lots of brown suds and lots of lacing around the pint glass.
Smell is coffee burnt malt with lots of yeast. Great Divide has a wonderful yeast.
Taste is perfect. Sweet malty start with just a hint of bitterness.
Alcohol comes into play then the sweetness of the malt and sugar takes over.
I can't get this around here and it is already one of my favorites..
Shit!
Mouthfeel is malty and sugary with lots of carbonation.
Drinkability is high here if you like this heavy dark brew.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

A Yeti imported. bb date 4-2011. I hope it's still ok. I expect so.

Untamed imposing stout. My 2nd encounter with yeti (previously the oak aged).

Very dark brown, with a dark brown head as well.
Once again the pine hoppy smell strikes me violently, but pleasantly. This is a smell that's intriguing.
I have not found it anywhere on the European market, at all...

After a while, in both smell and taste, the coffee, chocolate, and roasted nutts come forward.. but the hops are never far away. They're pine, spice, floral.
Mouthfeel is full heavy, creamy. Dark bitter chocolate in the aftertaste... and it's lasting a long time.

Easily one of the best beer drinking experiences you can have.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm new to these Great Divide Beers. So far so good, I think.

Aroma (4): Good aroma, get some coffee smells. Really what a Imperial should smell like
Appearance (5): Beautiful DARK color. I'm talking almost black. Almost.
Taste (4.5): Really spot on taste. Thick, bitter, roasted, awesome. Second Great Divide I've had and it has that boozy taste. It works, and makes sense with the higher ABV.
Palate (4.5): Dead nuts on. Nothing I can think of to critique here.

I really like this one. One of the better Imperials I've had. I see what the fuss is all about.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle about 5 months old. L: jeez, what a great looking beer! Huge, thick mocha head with carbonation slowly rising through. Pours motor oil black. S: I immediately smell chocolate. Then sweet, resinous caramel mixed with unsweetened cocoa. Sweet malt. Just a great smell. T: whipped chocolate frosting mixed with bitter chocolate . Bitter hop aftertaste. Tastes better when cold - as it warms the flavors change a bit but not in a bad way. F: chewy, thick, like a good milkshake. O: damn good. First beer from GDBC and certainly not the last.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A - Black with a dark mocha colored head. Looks amazing in a glass

S - Excellent smell, lots of coffee and a little bit of chocolate. I got a bit of dark fruit in there from the roasted malts, but not much. A small amount of earthy hops

T - Follows the smell almost exactly, but there was more coffee flavor than anything else. A nice, mildy complex flavor, but the only thing I can distinguish is the coffee (I don't have a very advanced palate)

M - Full bodied, just coats your mouth. A nice amount of carbonation, but not too much. I bet a year of age and it would mellow out and be amazing

D - Great. It's not absolutely amazing, but I'm gonna try to trade for it again someday. Maybe the oak aged version ;)

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled 2/18/2011. Pours pitch black color with a nice 2 finger dense tan head with fantastic retention that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Some great soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa powder, caramel, roasted coffee, biscuit, molasses, roasted malt, nuttiness, and light herbal hops. Incredible aromas here with great balance and complexity. Taste of big dark chocolate, roasted malt, biscuit, caramel, toast, molasses, dark coffee, herbal spiciness, and nuttiness. Fair amount of spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, caramel, molasses, coffee, herbal spiciness, and toast on the finish for a while. Great flavor balance and complexity. Medium carbonation and full bodied; with a huge creamy and slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden at 9.5% with only a faint warming after the finish. Overall this is an absolutely incredible imperial stout; and has lived up to the expectations of the last time I had it as well. I need to buy more of this just to keep around and age.

Bottle dated 3/4/2011

A- Pours deep and dark as a black hole into my Bruery tulip glass. 2 1/2 fingers of khaki foam floats upon this dark cocoa brew, fades rather quickly... but leaves a ton of spider web lacing!

S- 85% cocoa bar, bitter black coffee, charred wood, vanilla and some fruity/citrusy hops punching thru! A touch of yeastiness comes thru as it warms up.

T- Jeez... this is brilliant! Ever time I drink a bottle of this I wonder to myself... how do they do it so consistantly!!! Tastes of licorice, really dark chocolate, espresso, and a decent piney bitterness from the hops.

M- Nice little bite of alcohol, a touch chalky and dry, a little bit sticky and chewy. Tastes like the best espresso brownie that you've ever had. Nice grapefruit/pine/hops kick that really hangs onto the tongue and blends well with the roasted chocolate and coffee.

O- Not many "everyday" stouts are better than this IMHO! Hell, this is better than most once a year, limited Imperial Stouts! I really wish this was available in NY where I live! It used to be... Please come back Great Divide... I miss you!!!

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

(On-tap at Sonka's Irish Pub). Pours a great deep dark black with fantastic head, and just a bit of lacing. Excellent scent, a deep malty aroma with some roasted grains and a little bit of thick plum. Huge deep malty scent; hints of prune and plum, some roasted grains and slight coffee twinge, with a decent hop ending. Goes down quite good, thick with a hint of alcohol. An excellent impy stout.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Really enjoyed this. Picked up a 22oz bomber at Glen-Ro Spirit Shoppe in Monroe, CT

A - Darker than a black steers tookas on a moonless prairie night (lebowski reference anyone?). Nice 2-finger, dark toffee head that held strong. Good looking lacing down the class.

S - Hops! Could easiily pick up the toffee and caramel malts.

T - Toffee, caramel. Sweet, with some coffee and chocolate undertones. The hops and malt really balance themselves out nicely.

M - Rich and delicious.

D - Went down way too easy for a 9.5%.

Looking forward to seeing what else Great Divide has to offer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

bought a bottle and drank it out of a snifter. It had the appearance of a little carbonation, very dark body with a thin,dark caramel head. An expresso smell was the first thing my nose picked up along with dark malts. the taste was typicial of stout but this one was very robust and went down smooth. It was very drinkable and would highly recommend this to anyone.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours like liquid obsidian, with a thick brown head that leaves nice lacing. Looks very imposing. Smell is of bitter chocolate, dark cherries and roastiness and a slight whiff of alcohol. Starts with a jab of dark roastiness, then powerful cherry sweetness that melds into bitter, hoppy roastiness lingering on and on. Tremendous flavor, sweet but never cloying and alcohol only shows in the throat warming. Loads of hop bitterness in the finish, it dries out quite nicely, but not exactly in a delicate fashion. Delicious. Mouthfeel is quite full with medium, tongue coating carbonation. Quite drinkable for the strength. It's within me to drain both of my bombers of this...

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-black with a nice dark brown head

S-smells like oatmeal brownies fresh out of the oven. I'm serious!it smells that good.

T-tastes like oatmeal brownies too with a distinct flavor of dark roasted grains. Matching after-taste

M-heavy. Creamy Low carbonation. Creamy finish

O-for the price, you'll have a seriously difficult time finding a more flavorful stout. This drinks like a big stout.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

a - Pitch black with micro fin brown body.
s - Smell was absolutley dominated by, however, there were very pleasant hoppy notes that I just couldnt put my finger.
t - ROASTY. charred malts, nuts, no fruit. Extremely long lasting bitterness.
m - Big bodied beer. Smooth, slick.
d - Very nice, but a little hot and heavy for summer drinking.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Egad, I could not get enough of this beer. 100% opaque, onyx black with a bubbly chocolate head. Sweet smoky chocolate coffee roast flavor, with a light milky sourness. It's as thick as a mouthful of maple syrup, you've got to love a heavy beer to drink this stuff. Could you guess it was malty? Very, very malty. But in a good way. A great way. A holy-crap-I-just-bought-out-the-bar way. I love 9%-plus beers that come in alluring 22oz bottles. Might be a good idea tape a car service's number to the bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks are due to EgadBananas for providing this bottle. This was bottled on February 21, 2012, so this is still very young. Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with a two-finger length dark brown head that retains well. The head dissipates very slowly. Lacing is left down the glass as the head dissipates. There are big aromas of dark roasted barley malt and chocolate. It has a bready and slightly earthy smell. I can't detect the alcohol in the aroma, which is a plus for such a high ABV beer. The flavor follows the nose. The roasted malt flavor is very prominent and there is creamy chocolate in there as well. There's bitterness on the back end as well as roastiness. It's mildly sweet as well. I can pick up some of the alcohol, but it's masked very well. The body is full with adequate carbonation. It is creamy and smooth. The drinkability is very high. Overall, this is an excellent beer and yet another great RIS. For someone just getting into this style, this is one that should be recommended.

January 2010 bottle.

Drinking at cellar temp.
This beer pours very black, glugs from the bottle like motor oil. The head on this beer is an incredible dark espresso color. This beer just looks awesome. The smell is very much like a dessert. German chocolate cake comes to mind, truffles, creme brulee, roasted nuts, and a nice rich espresso note. The aroma is world class. The taste does not fall short. Big rich creamy chocolate notes up front, cake like flavors, I also get a creamy like flavor that does remind me of creme brulee. This beer is just great, one of my favorite stouts, seriously good stuff.

22oz bomber into a Yeti tulip

A: Poured a 1 finger, rich looking, brown head that slowly fell to a ring & cloud leaving nice lacing. Pitch black body.

S: Aroma of dark chocolate, chocolate milk, with alcohol and a touch of roasted coffee. Quite powerful.

T: Rich chocolate up front. Burnt malt & toffee too. Then finishes with bitter roasted coffee and an alcohol warming. Hops are very much in the background, but keep it from being out of balance. Very powerful and complex.

M: As smooth a beer as you'll ever have. Thick, full body. Lasting, creamy finish where the hops finally get a chance to assert themselves a bit.

D: The alcohol presence cuts into the drinkability a bit, but it's so good you won't care. Big beer fans will love this.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Comes out of the bottle like motor oil. Black; can't see through; minimal brown head on this pour. Looks heavy. Very nice appearance.

Smell: Lots of big and roasty going on here; espresso; chocolate; some alcohol; grassy hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pretty much follows the nose. Just big roasty, thick, chewy, bittersweet, chococolate, espresso, some sort of fruit(prune; fig; raisin?) Tiny hint of booze. Heavy. Big ups

Overall: When I think stouts 2013-14 I'll think of
1.) Tried and true N.C. Old Raspy 2.) Dark Horse Plead the 5th 3.) Founders Breakfast Stout 4.) Sierra Nevada Narwhal 5.) Grand Teton Black Cauldron and 6.) That one Deschutes porter and.... 7.) Great Divide Yeti!
I'd like to do a blind taste test between them all but the Yeti is super dank outta Denver. It's just a tad pricey is the only thing I can find fault in it. I want to give it all 4.75's but if I were to taste it stacked up against all those others as well as the other versions of Yeti i don't know I would rate it as high, so for that reason I lowered it.
Point is, Yeti is a decadent beer that packs a walloping 9.5% . If you're looking for an imperial stout and you've yet to find Yeti, look no further.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours out like motor oil. Beer appears to be pitch black in color and poured out with two fingers of a creamed coffee colored head. Super sticky lacing.

S: Big, big smell of roasted coffee and dark chocolate.

T: Follows the nose. There is definitely a roasted/smoky flavor. A good amount of bitterness that is balanced out by sweet chocolate and malt. Hides the ABV very well.

M: Full bodied and a little creamy. Low-medium carbonation. For being full bodied and creamy, it is not too sticky.

O: I had heard rave reviews about this beer from some of my friends and it is definitely near the top of my list for an imperial stout. While many other similar beers will have similar attributes, not all are as well put together as this beer.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company