Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,680 | Reviews: 1,681

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

What a dark beer. It looks like black velvet poured into my glass. There is a thick milk chocolate brown head that is very pillowy. There are microscopic bubbles on the edges that collect into larger bubbles in the center of the glass. Amazing head retention that leaves rings on the glass as you drink. I currently count three.

The smell is of dark malts and dried fruits. Raisins, currents and plum are the dominate scents that I get. There is also an alcohol twinge that is carried on faint chocolate wings.

This brew is thick. It solidly coats your pallet with a creamy smooth mouthfeel. I can feel it solidifying my saliva, kind of like eating good chocolate.

Taste is pleasant. There is a malty chocolate flavor that hints of some hops but never reveals them. A fruity alcohol flavor rips through your mouth and warms your tongue from front to back. There is a sweet malt aftertaste.

A nice big beer. This one is great for drinking on that cold march nights when the late snows are falling. Go ahead, drink the whole bottle and cross your fingers for a freeze so you can go to work late.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a tulip pint glass

A- One of the boldest, best looking pours I have ever seen on a stout. Very dark, thick, visous liquid. Very dark brown, opaque. The thick, thick, dark, dark head rose and rose. The head initially was a very dark brown with a little rusty orange in the color...very nice looking top to bottom. Looks very enjoyable and delicious!

S- Smelled of the roasted maltiness typical of a strong stout.

T- Good, a little bitter not from hops, although there were some hop flavors present. The bitterness was from the earthy roasted malts.

M- Very thick and viscous. A great thick imperial stout. Not something you'd want on a hot day while mowing the lawn! A nice beer to sit down with on a cool winter night.

O- Overall this was pretty good. I'm surprised that it took me so long to finally try this. I picked up one 12 oz. bottle from my local beverage center. I wish I had tried this two years ago when I was on an imperial stout kick. For some reason I haven't been impressed with the style lately and I really no longer have the desire to try new beers in the style. I guess my palette has changed as Brooklyn Black Chocolate was once my favorite beer. I now have no desire to drink it. I'd rather have a good porter in the 5-7% range. Although I've maintained the desire to drink a good, strong barley wine the rich, bold flavors of imperial stouts are a bit much for my palette at this time...I suppose it could change though as I used to like IPA's and DIPA's but about a year ago I really couldn't take the happiness for about a whole year, now, recently I've been drinking a lot of IPA's. I guess I have an ever-changing palette!

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A -Dark brown with a creamy tan head
S - Smell is coffee and sweet vanilla
T - Just a nice roasted coffee flavor
O -A smooth easy drinking RIS

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured a bottle of this into a shaker glass.

A: Pours an oilo black body with a small, dark brown head with pretty poor retention, yielding only a ring of head on the beer. There was some lacing along the sides of the glass until the finish.

S: A slightly bitter smell with some roasted barley notes.

T: A very roasted taste with some slight bitterness to it as well. There was also a nice, complimenting, coffee bean aftertaste that was very nice.

M: A fairly thick and smooth mouthfeel that was nice for the style.

D: A pretty decent mouthfeel and taste combination that was good for an Imperial Stout. The alcohol was fairly warming, but not overwhelming in the taste of the beer. A nice drinking beer overall.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a stunning pitch black (i mean no light shining through whatsoever) with a nice thick tan head that stays around as long as you could expect. Aroma is also striking; scents of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, citrus and floral hops, blackstrap molasses, and cocoa. Flavor is intense but balanced: notes of dark chocolate, expresso, vanilla, floral and citrus hops, blackstrap molasses and roasted malt. I have been continually impressed by great divide's "big beers" and this is no exception, complex, drinkable and delicious. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth with light carbonation and a big body, alcohol is only noticeable in the finish (and only lightly so). Drinkability is good and the finish is bitter and a bit dry. Extremely tasty double stout, balanced and smooth this is another winner from great divide.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

A- 2" tan head on a black body. Good head retention.
S- Toasted and burnt malts. Chocolate grains, hint of black currents, light grass hops, and hints of alcohol.
T- Nice roasted and burnt flavor with chocolate flavors blended in. Grassy hops come out and leave a nice size bitterness on tip of my tongue. Maybe a light hint of black currents or even black berries? Alcohol tickles tongue a little bit and warms up back of throat. Very nice complexity to it.
M- Full rich body with low carbonation but alcohol and hops tickle the tongue to make it feel a bit bigger than it actually is.
D- I think this is an amazing stout. It just has a great blend of flavors. I think this could easily be one of my favorite RIS that you could drink every night (unlike something like the Dark Lord where it's more for a special occasion).

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company