Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,706 | Hads: 5,009
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

22 oz bottle served in a snifter

First pour is black as night with a very thin tan head. Subsequent pours gave a much thicker and heavier head. Smell is of coffee and chocolate. Taste is coffee and chocolate with a alcohol finish. Goes down much smoother than I expected. Polished off the bottle with dinner and loved every sip.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

For some reason this was widely available in the Netherlands for a very short while but I managed to get my hands on quite a lot. It's an impressive Imperial Stout for sure. Very well balanced, stable and rubust. It has all you could probably imagine it should have. However there's one thing that's just not perfect. I think it's a bit one demensional. Loads of roasted coffee and chocolate but it lacks some complexity and subtile flavors like licorice, blackcurrant or even honey. But as said, wonderful beer.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours nice and velvety with an almond colored head, not too thick but remains throughout the entire glass. The color is dense black, like a good stout should be. The initial smell that you get is a mixture of malt, coffee, and a little of the alcohol hits the nose almost like a wine. In the taste you get more malt, good amount of hops for an imperial, and the sweetness of chocolate/caramel. It coats the inside of the mouth very nicely with a sweet aftertaste and the alcohol warming, but doesn't linger too long which is key. Suprisingly drinkable for 9.5%, although i couldn't see polishing off a whole sixer in one sitting (which is not as suprising). Definitely one of the best imperial stouts out there.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a growler filled at Joe Canal's Iselin into my Firestone Walker Nonic Pint Glass

Appearance - pours a viscous inky black, leaving a growing thick, milkshake like head that grows. The head has a very dark brown appearance and leaves a nice lacing and clingy head. A inky black beer with a lasting head.

Smell -  Strong and very pleasant initial aroma of chocolate, cocoa and a hint of coffee. The smell is very well balanced and changes with each new taste.

Taste - a very strong coffee, taste with a slight hint of alcohol and cocca, with a bitterness that lingers. Very hoppy and with a nice strong bittering. Although strong, it continues to be balanced and appropriate for the style.

Mouthfeel  - very smooth thick and nicely carbonated, with a lingering bitterness and filmy coffee like residue. The mouthfeel and the after taste, hint at the strong ABV, abut an alcohol burn is not apparent. A maltiness and slight sweetness remain

Overall  -  this is a true imperial stout, with big taste, big hop and big maltiness.  A truly great beer, with a complexness that makes it so appealing and drinkable for stout lovers. This is big beer and so good.

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a beautifully thin, dark brown head.

S - Aromas include sweet scents of chocolate and caramel, roasted malts, and a surprisingly strong hop essence.

T - Dominated by roasted malt flavors, with accompanying flavors of bittersweet chocolate and dark coffee. Taste is considerably bitter (no surprise) and contains very little sweetness. Alcohol isn't masked particularly well but at 9.50%, it's certainly appropriate.

M - Thick, syrupy mouthfeel that coats the mouth wonderfully thanks to a very low level of carbonation.

D - A very bold, hoppy stout that that is expressly bitter. A good one to split with someone else; very good but I wouldn't recommend more than one at a single sitting. One of the better beers I've had, but there's other stouts I would reach for first.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber served in a Teku.

One of the best looking beers. Pours black with a great dark khaki head that leaves behind a nice foamy lacing as it goes down. Nose is over roasted coffee and chocolate. Taste is dominated by bitter chocolate with coffee, brown sugar, and a hint of vanilla. Feel is thick and smooth. Overall, a great RIS. I love every beer in the Yeti family and I'm sure it's due to this being a great base brew for all those variants. Highly recommended.

2.34/5  rDev -44.5%

Jet black sludge. Smells like dirty feet. Overwhelming burnt coffee flavor. Thick as motor oil. Unimpressed! Suffered thru half a glass hoping it get better as it warmed. No such luck. Tossed it. Not worth the coin...

4.71/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I live in Denver so I was lucky enough to get a bottle that was bottled 4 days prior to my consumption. Poured into a pint glass.
Look: Very dark with a nice dark khaki head. The head does not fade greatly over time. It went from 1 finger to a half finger. When sloshed around it is a little more watery than I would like, so I deducted .25 points (for a solid 4.75 points, this shit it is awesome).
Smell: A little bit herbal. Someone in the comments said rum-soaked raisins. 100% agree. Chocolate, charcoal or maybe smoke. Musky and awesome.
Taste: Dark. Chocolate. Coffee and some vanilla extract. YES.
Feel: A little fizzy, but not too much for a stout. Thicker than I would expect from the look of it.
Overall: Great beer. 10/10 will drink again. This has a prominent spot in my fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

a huge 2in. thick dark brown creamy head. A great appearance and smell. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, & coffee.
A very nice mouthfeel; creamy and smooth with a great bitterness from the added hops. Defineatly 75 IBU's. Awsomeee! Also, there is a chocolaty tartness that lingers on the finish, and hints of caramel and coffee. I'm amazed at the bitterness, I'm not aware of many Imperial stouts that are this bitter.
What a great Imperial Stout!!!!

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into typical pint glass. Poured black and opaque with a dark tan 1 finger head. Nice retention but lacing did not stick.
Aroma is dominated by hops, roasted malts, rich dark chocolate, coffee beans, and alcohol.
First thing that hit my tongue was a surprise burst of hops, which then gave way to heavy roasted malts, dark chocolate, molasses, and a splash of coffee. Finished bitter with more piney hops and a slightly smokey flavor. Delicious. Slight alcohol presence, and the coffee flavor became more predominant as the beer warmed.
Mouthfeel was very creamy and smooth.
Drinkability is decent but i felt that the alcohol presence and warming had this beer fading on me.
This beer is definitely recommended.

3.67/5  rDev -13%

Appearance - Extremely dark, like espresso with a nice thick tan colored head. Leaves amazing lacing on the glass.

Smell - Very robust, some chocolate notes, rosted coffe notes, with the sweetness and twinge of the alcohol.

Taste - Has a very sweet and maltness to it but finishes slightly bitter from hops. Mild caramel, coffee, and chocolate flavors invade the taste buds

Mouthfeel - Very soothing on the palate, nice warming feel to it, carbonniation is perfect and gives you a very cozt feeling.

Overall - This is a fantastic beer. I was not much on imperial stouts at all. I often steered clear of them then somethin told me to try this one and now I am a closet stout lover and can not get enough of them.

I picked up this bottle from a SoCal BevMo when I went down there this summer. It was bottled in January 2011 and I've been waiting for a decent time to try it out. Now is that time.

Holy cow this beer pours dark. I've had a decent amount of imperial stouts but I don't think I've seen a head on a beer that was this dark tan. The beer looks like a black mass in the glass.

Smells like burnt caramel and dark alcohol. Not much chocolate or coffee smell like I get out of other imperial stouts. This one is pretty straight forward.

Burnt, sweet and malty up front. Sweetness continues in the finish. If I had to liken it to a chocolate I would say very dark chocolate (burnt chocolate?) I wonder how this beer would be if I had given it another year or so.

Medium carbonation and medium viscosity as far as mouthfeel goes.

4.0's all the way across. I'll grab a few more of these next time I head south. I also need to get ahold of some of the variations.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

My mouth has been watering for this one...

Pours a thick black used motor oil color with a head that looks like chocolate milk. I held this up to a halogen light and saw nothing but pure black goodness. Nice two finger head that slowly dissipated into some nice sticky lacing.

Smell is dark chocolate, malt, hops, smoky, and some fig. It seriously reminds me of fig newtons!

This tastes wonderful...bakers chocolate, raisins, hoppy bite with a smooth finish. As it warms the alcohol is a little more pronounced and this beer leaves a nice coating in your mouth with a yummy hop aftertaste.

The drinkability really depends on your tastes and what you like. I could drink a couple of these but the high abv might slow some down a bit. I don't really taste the 9.5% abv but I can sure feel it :-).

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Purchased at Cambridge Wine and Spirits. Dark in color - almost black - and very opaque with an unusually dark brown head. Taste has tones of chocolate and coffee. I thought the mouthfeel was a bit syrupy, but that was my only complaint. 12 oz. was about the most I could handle, but that's ok - not a session beer (for me, at least).

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours out like Tar, but in a good way. Head is almost a dark bronze/cherry brown head to it.

S: Smells like your typical stout... Coffee/Bitter chocolate.

T: Taste reminds me a lot of Alesmith Speedway stout... Very sugary when you let it set on your lips. Very very thick. Only stout I have had thicker was the speedway. Only hit on this is it does not hide the alcohol quite as well as speedway (sorry for comparing it to that but it reminds me a lot of it)

Summary: Second thickest beer I have had. Very good taste, very thick, but would have been rated higher if it had hid the alcohol a little better.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Served on tap in a short curved glass at Melt Bar & Grilled in Lakewood, OH

A - Appearance is black with a creamy head and good lacing. What you'd expect from a stout.
S - The nose on this beer is sweet with a bit of detectable hops.
T - The taste of this beer is a wonderful caramel sweetness. Not overdone, well balanced and enjoyable.
M - Mouthfeel is smooth and heavy. The high alcohol content and malt give it a lot of body and it coats your tongue.
D - This is one of those beers that I'd want to drink more of than I'm able to. The taste is well balanced and doesn't wear on you, but because it is so heavy and high in alcohol I probably couldn't drink more than one or two.

This is already one of my favorite beers. It's hard to explain why since really it is just a sweet, heavy stout. However, it's so well done and balanced that you can't help but love it.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Reviewing from notes

A: Poured black/very dark brown with a dark brown head and good retention. Excellent lacing.

S: It was stored cold and the first impression from the aroma was a dark chocolate milkshake. Yum. More complex dark roast aromas make themselves evident as it warmed. Really quite beautiful for a stout.

T: Again, very much dark chocolate. A malt bitterness that is restrained and nicely balanced with a slight sweetness.

M: Thick, lovely, barely any alcohol burn.

D: Delicious and drinkable. As a fan of stouts, this is a treat. All my notes said: "love it love it love it" which I think sums it up perfectly.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours into a frothy creamy 3-finger head with a pitch black body that is impossible to see through. If I was to look at the top of my glass I would think I was drinking chocolate milk. Chocolate in high doses eminates from the top of the glass, not so muych a coffe taste but pure rich chocolate.

The taste matches the smell, leaveing a feeling in my mouth of a rich and creamy taste. Malts and roasted grain are abound until the very end when the coco flavors burst through. Quite bitter and with a higher alcohol taste then I would care for but the complex flavors of this beer more than make up for it.

Not a beer I would drink all the time but on special occasions or with a large dinner. It does go down smooth but this beer is to rich to enjoy in mass quantities.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a large wine glass. Pours a thick, syrupy black. Totally opaque. Virtually no head.

Scents of coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, smoked meats, toasted bread, plum. *Slight* notes of solvent, but far less than often found in high ABV beers. Excellent.

Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, red fruit (pomegranate?) taste. Best tasting beer I have had.

Mouthfeel loses some points due to the stickyness and syrupy quality. Still very good. Neither astringent nor overly round and flat.

Overall, this is the best beer I have had to date, surpassing even Trappistes Rochefort 10. The texture could use a bit of work, but otherwise, it's truly fantastic.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a pitch black. Absolutely no light is escaping from this black hole of a beer. Dark tan thick head is slow to form -- overflowed from my glass as I was pouring over my dinner. Laces the glass nicely. Smells of roasted malts and alcohol with some light traces of alcohol. Tastes of dark chocolate and coffee up front followed by roasted malt. Some nice oily hopiness rounds it out to complete the taste. Alcohol not as prevelent as I thought it would be, which is a nice surprise. Overall one hell of an Impy Stout. One of the best I've had. Nicely complex and very stout in both character and strength, I highly recommend this one.

3.66/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: The beer itself is tar back and pours with a nice dark brown head.

Smell: Very alcoholic nose with lots of coffee and espresso notes complemented well with a heavy dose of hopping and some biscuit notes that you have to search out.

Taste: Nice sweet express flavor also complements by a large amount of bittering hops. The astringency is balance nicely by the sweetness making this brew very drinkable. Over all a good brew.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a large sniffer: Deep dark black body looks like a beautiful shot of espresso with a creamy brown head. Light will not pass through the body of the glass and the head laces the glasses fairly slowly.
Fruity hop aroma with sweet chocolate-ness.
Beautiful chocolate flavor with a sweet citrus middle and bitter finish. Digging deep into the beer one finds toffee, caramelized sugar and cocoa and a hint of licorice. I'm overwhelmed by the modest amounts of hoppiness that pour out in the aroma and flavor. The strong roasted flavors of the grain are muted in comparison.
A very medium-heavy body with a delightful nature, hides the 9.5%ABV very well. Smooth and light carbonation that fits this beer well. Very drinkable and enjoyable on a nice rainy day.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

A: pure black with a mocha coloured head and great lacing
S: roasted malt, chocolate, fresh coffee beans, black chocolate,...
T: espresso, black chocolate, ground up coffee beans, toffee, minor bitterness at the end.
M: nice, thick, creamy body to it and goes down nicely.
D: drank mine & my friends bottle when he said that he didn't want to finish it & I wanted more. I definitely, absolutely loved this one.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

The Yeti Imperial Stout is brewed in Colorado at the Great Divide Brewing Co, and is like its namesake, a big hairy beast. At first glance I thought that it was going to be a little fatter than I was ready for, but it grows on you quick. This drink pours thick, dark and heavy, and foams like a science experiment gone awry. It smells heady and rich – a cocoa, toffee, coffee. Initially, upon appearance, I thought that this beverage would be too malty and cloying. And while a mouthful is dense and lingering it is not overpowering or intrusive. It’s a good example of a full, well balanced Russian Imperial Stout, and with a 9.5% alcohol it’ll warm you up on a cold winter’s night.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter from a 22 oz bottle with 12/16/12 date. 9.5% ABV on the bottle.

Thin brownish head with midnight black color.

Aggressive aromas of expresso, malty chocolate and caramel.

Flavor profile was very smooth and even with chocolate, coffee, caramelized sugar, and with an IBU of 75 definite floral, citrus taste.

Very rich, smooth body. This Imperial Stout has the most even and lingering flavor profile of any I have tasted. Light carbonation that increased as the beer warmed up.

No gaps exist between the first lovely aromas and tastes to the solid middle of the flavor profile to the long lingering exquisite finish. This beer will now replace North Coast Old Rasputin as my go to Imperial Stout.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company