Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Yeti Imperial StoutYeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: cokes on 08-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,691 | Hads: 4,948
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours out like Tar, but in a good way. Head is almost a dark bronze/cherry brown head to it.

S: Smells like your typical stout... Coffee/Bitter chocolate.

T: Taste reminds me a lot of Alesmith Speedway stout... Very sugary when you let it set on your lips. Very very thick. Only stout I have had thicker was the speedway. Only hit on this is it does not hide the alcohol quite as well as speedway (sorry for comparing it to that but it reminds me a lot of it)

Summary: Second thickest beer I have had. Very good taste, very thick, but would have been rated higher if it had hid the alcohol a little better.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at the brewery in Denver, CO

As most people gave a complete rundown, I will just give you my overall impression. For an Imperial Stout, the Yeti is quite approachable. The man at the brewery said the IBU's were high (around 100ish)-- ummm....I guess?....it seemed very well balanced to me....I was actually getting more bitterness from the Black Malt, rather than hop bite. Some slightly medicinal notes on the nose, and faintly on the taste buds...other than that...the Yeti is a top quality high-octane stout that displays the cocoa and coffee in spades...

This one is lighter and a little more enjoyable than Old Rasputin out of a bottle, IMHO

Grade: 93-, A

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a large wine glass. Pours a thick, syrupy black. Totally opaque. Virtually no head.

Scents of coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, smoked meats, toasted bread, plum. *Slight* notes of solvent, but far less than often found in high ABV beers. Excellent.

Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, red fruit (pomegranate?) taste. Best tasting beer I have had.

Mouthfeel loses some points due to the stickyness and syrupy quality. Still very good. Neither astringent nor overly round and flat.

Overall, this is the best beer I have had to date, surpassing even Trappistes Rochefort 10. The texture could use a bit of work, but otherwise, it's truly fantastic.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber served in a Teku.

One of the best looking beers. Pours black with a great dark khaki head that leaves behind a nice foamy lacing as it goes down. Nose is over roasted coffee and chocolate. Taste is dominated by bitter chocolate with coffee, brown sugar, and a hint of vanilla. Feel is thick and smooth. Overall, a great RIS. I love every beer in the Yeti family and I'm sure it's due to this being a great base brew for all those variants. Highly recommended.

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark, creamy and thick. I was expecting a much stronger beer by the look and feel, but was pleasantly surprised by how rich, yet smooth Yeti is. I've actually never heard of this beer until I seen it today. So then I looked it up on my beeradvocate app and seen it was rated fairly high, so thought I'd give it a try. The high rating is spot on. Great beer.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a pitch black. Absolutely no light is escaping from this black hole of a beer. Dark tan thick head is slow to form -- overflowed from my glass as I was pouring over my dinner. Laces the glass nicely. Smells of roasted malts and alcohol with some light traces of alcohol. Tastes of dark chocolate and coffee up front followed by roasted malt. Some nice oily hopiness rounds it out to complete the taste. Alcohol not as prevelent as I thought it would be, which is a nice surprise. Overall one hell of an Impy Stout. One of the best I've had. Nicely complex and very stout in both character and strength, I highly recommend this one.

3.66/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: The beer itself is tar back and pours with a nice dark brown head.

Smell: Very alcoholic nose with lots of coffee and espresso notes complemented well with a heavy dose of hopping and some biscuit notes that you have to search out.

Taste: Nice sweet express flavor also complements by a large amount of bittering hops. The astringency is balance nicely by the sweetness making this brew very drinkable. Over all a good brew.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a large sniffer: Deep dark black body looks like a beautiful shot of espresso with a creamy brown head. Light will not pass through the body of the glass and the head laces the glasses fairly slowly.
Fruity hop aroma with sweet chocolate-ness.
Beautiful chocolate flavor with a sweet citrus middle and bitter finish. Digging deep into the beer one finds toffee, caramelized sugar and cocoa and a hint of licorice. I'm overwhelmed by the modest amounts of hoppiness that pour out in the aroma and flavor. The strong roasted flavors of the grain are muted in comparison.
A very medium-heavy body with a delightful nature, hides the 9.5%ABV very well. Smooth and light carbonation that fits this beer well. Very drinkable and enjoyable on a nice rainy day.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

A: pure black with a mocha coloured head and great lacing
S: roasted malt, chocolate, fresh coffee beans, black chocolate,...
T: espresso, black chocolate, ground up coffee beans, toffee, minor bitterness at the end.
M: nice, thick, creamy body to it and goes down nicely.
D: drank mine & my friends bottle when he said that he didn't want to finish it & I wanted more. I definitely, absolutely loved this one.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

The Yeti Imperial Stout is brewed in Colorado at the Great Divide Brewing Co, and is like its namesake, a big hairy beast. At first glance I thought that it was going to be a little fatter than I was ready for, but it grows on you quick. This drink pours thick, dark and heavy, and foams like a science experiment gone awry. It smells heady and rich – a cocoa, toffee, coffee. Initially, upon appearance, I thought that this beverage would be too malty and cloying. And while a mouthful is dense and lingering it is not overpowering or intrusive. It’s a good example of a full, well balanced Russian Imperial Stout, and with a 9.5% alcohol it’ll warm you up on a cold winter’s night.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter from a 22 oz bottle with 12/16/12 date. 9.5% ABV on the bottle.

Thin brownish head with midnight black color.

Aggressive aromas of expresso, malty chocolate and caramel.

Flavor profile was very smooth and even with chocolate, coffee, caramelized sugar, and with an IBU of 75 definite floral, citrus taste.

Very rich, smooth body. This Imperial Stout has the most even and lingering flavor profile of any I have tasted. Light carbonation that increased as the beer warmed up.

No gaps exist between the first lovely aromas and tastes to the solid middle of the flavor profile to the long lingering exquisite finish. This beer will now replace North Coast Old Rasputin as my go to Imperial Stout.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Black with a brown head that disappeared fairly quickly

S - Bitter chocolate and coffee. Fairly strong and pleasing.

T - Powerful taste (again coffee and chocolate comes to mind) which goes bitter afterward.

M - Creamy and very pleasant to drink. Goes down very well and the alcohol doesn't detract from the feeling. One of the best I've ever experienced.

O - RIS are my favorite style and this one is one of the best I've had. Not something I'd drink a lot of, but would be wonderful to enjoy after a good meal. A real treat to come across and I look forward to the chance to have one again.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

An old favorite and my first love as pertains to imperial stouts. I got a chance to try this on draft at Great Divide's tap room a few months back. This time it's a 12oz bottle into a goblet. I think I messed up the pour because I got almost no head, but I know it gives a brown creme color and is quit sizable usually. The actual beer is as black as Himmler's Heart.

This beer smells like vanilla and chocolate mostly. When you take a drink, it tastes similar but there is a massive hop bite. There is a really dry taste that I can't place there too. Reminds me of the woods, or a lumber yard...in a good way, of course. Nice and smooth. It's sweeter than I remember it being, but not overly so. I wish I had the willpower to age one of these babies and see what happens.

Great Divide makes some damn fine beers in my opinion, this one being up there as one of their best.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

What a treat! Thank you to Natlocc787 for giving me the heads-up on where I could find this one. I really appreciate it.

Poured from a bottle dated July 2007. This beast of a stout has been sitting, waiting for its consumption for 2 and 1 half years. And oh is it ripe! The appearance is spectacular. The bubbles are so tight it looks more like coffee whipped-cream than a typical head. The froth is rebellious in its submittal to gravity, finally giving its way to a highly decorated, multiple ring of lace. When tilted from side to side the cascading effects are that of a marching band; every member hitting its own note to cause a harmony unparalleled. I smell dark caramel chocolate, vanilla, Godiva liquor and raisin plum with hints of dated pear and a touch of tobacco. The taste is nothing short of perfection. It has bourbon and a wood backbone. Lots of vanilla caramel chocolate, also dates with the slightest alcohol finish. The feel is smooth. Not thick or thin but perfect for this beer. The feel is satin on the palate not demanding too much and going down smooth. I have paramount beer in my cellar: Abyss, Life and Limb, Peche Mortel and others. This is the beer I want most right now.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

(Originally reviewed on 03/13/2010)
Serving - 12 oz bottle
Glassware - Church Brew Works Pint Glass
Cost - $5.00 per bottle - Pinocchio's Beer Garden

Appearance - Thick, Black, Poured almost like motor oil, head of dark chocolate, kinda reminded me of the 'shavings' you would see on a hershey's special dark chocolate bar. If the taste isn't full bodied I give up on rating beers

Smell - Roasted maltiness, oak, chocolate, some coffee. Swirl it around your glass enough, you're going to get a good strong hoppy aroma kicking in. As I am smelling halfway through the beer, I can pick up some toffee, too.

Taste - malts and coffee upon first sip, washed down with hops and bitterness. Seems to smoothly go down the throat with flavors of a nice pleasant caramel. Aftertaste of oak - very nice.

Mouthfeel - thick, almost silk-like (Maybe creamy? I think thats the caramel effect) This would make a great milkshake - or is it one already? Yes, full-bodied, this is smooth, yet hoppy and complex. Nice.

Drinkability - this is an awesome offering from Great Divide - 9.5% ABV yet it doesn't taste like it should be that strong. However, I consider it a 'night and day' beer - almost guinness-like smoothness combined with a nice but not overpowering IPA kick mashed together with a good variety of flavors we tend to like in our stouts. This one's a winner and if I had ever wanted to enjoy a beer in milkshake form, this would be that selection.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow, I think my brain just blew out the back of my skull from the insane amounts of flavor I'm tasting off of this brew. I truly thought it couldn't get more intense than Arrogant Bastard. I truly was wrong.

Appearance: pitch jet black. Light can't even penetrate the surface of this beer.

Smell: I'm getting... plum, raisin, dark chocolate, booze, maybe a hint of sugar.

Taste: *head explodes*. That's right. That's really how much taste is packed into this brew. The taste is identical to the smell, strong, overbearing, right in your face, and completely unapologetic. This would more than likely kill an inexperienced drinker with the simple amount of flavor packed in there.

Mouthfeel: thick and chewy, just like I like it.

Drinkability: Just like any Imperial Stout, it shouldn't be drank for refreshment. It should only be drank when you really feel like a savory beer.

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 22 oz glass into a beeradvocate recommended pint glass.

About a finger-tip length of dark foamy, head... almost at points appearing a dark cherry in hues. Medium-sized to large bubbles that never fully diminish.

Sky black, thick dark fondue chocolate in appearance... Feels like it's completely engulfing the glass, and becoming its own entity as I let it warm...

Aromas of lots of roasted malt. Some notes of black licorice, bourbon vanilla and beachwood as the brew warms.

Surprising amount of citrus hop in first sips, which was completely unexpected. Expresso bitterness in between sips. Spices started loading up as the beer warmed, and gained subtle notes of a sort of smooth chocolate vodka / liquor (Black Russian?)... Accidently sent some of this brew down the wrong tube though, and the IBU's and alcohol were quite apparent.

Smooth mouthfeel, a little more carbonation than compared with a Guiness. Slight tingle with every sip when cold.

Wanted very much to enjoy this beer more than I did. But I feel like I've had better stouts. Maybe the 72% cacao w/ expresso nibs chocolate bar I accompanied withh the brew wasn't the right choice (too sweet)? Or I was just thinking about the review too much... All in all, maybe I just need to try and enjoy this beer more than once.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Comes out of the bottle like motor oil. Black; can't see through; minimal brown head on this pour. Looks heavy. Very nice appearance.

Smell: Lots of big and roasty going on here; espresso; chocolate; some alcohol; grassy hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pretty much follows the nose. Just big roasty, thick, chewy, bittersweet, chococolate, espresso, some sort of fruit(prune; fig; raisin?) Tiny hint of booze. Heavy. Big ups

Overall: When I think stouts 2013-14 I'll think of
1.) Tried and true N.C. Old Raspy 2.) Dark Horse Plead the 5th 3.) Founders Breakfast Stout 4.) Sierra Nevada Narwhal 5.) Grand Teton Black Cauldron and 6.) That one Deschutes porter and.... 7.) Great Divide Yeti!
I'd like to do a blind taste test between them all but the Yeti is super dank outta Denver. It's just a tad pricey is the only thing I can find fault in it. I want to give it all 4.75's but if I were to taste it stacked up against all those others as well as the other versions of Yeti i don't know I would rate it as high, so for that reason I lowered it.
Point is, Yeti is a decadent beer that packs a walloping 9.5% . If you're looking for an imperial stout and you've yet to find Yeti, look no further.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Awesome, pitch black with a carmel/coffee colored head that sticks around.

S - Sweet, dark roasted coffee and a little bit of burnt sugar

T - Big flavor! Malt of chocolate and a lot of roast flavors coming through. Alcohol deff peaks its head out. The malt is complemented with the hops which add to the complexity. Almost a licorice flavor that sticks with ya for a while.

M - Sticky with a little carbonation in mouth

D - some imperial stouts scare me or i enjoy the taste but they drink like straight booze this is drinkable. complex flavors and a sweetness all balanced

I enjoyed this beer very much

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at the Lost Dog Lounge in Ithaca, NY, inexplicably served in a plastic pint glass (whose shockingly effective insulation made it really, really hard to warm up).

Very thin dark tan head (par for the course on a Russian Imperial Stout with this much alcohol), but it definitely stuck around, even as I held my beer for twenty minutes or so to warm it up. Very nice lacing on the glass (well, plastic), and a dark, inky, opaque near-black.

Nice toffee and caramel aroma with some darker coffee and chocolate hiding back there. A little bit of herbal hops back there, too, and some nonspecific fruitiness. A big, pleasing smell overall.

Huge malty, toffee flavor, secondary on the chocolate and coffee flavors. The finish is beautiful; the alcohol and hops take it from an incredibly sweet brew to a nice, crisp dryness that lingers with some herbal flavors. Definitely a big, thick brew that coats the mouth and the tongue; very satisfying.

Big, tasty, and gets a lot right as far as I'm concerned. I would, however, definitely consider this a food beer. The first time I had it (from a bottle, not on tap), it was with barbecued spare ribs, and it was just about the best beer/food combination ever. On its own, it's a little harder to down, especially because it's not as much of a dessert beer as something like Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Jet black with a very creamy, thick tan head that doesn't want to go away. Good lacing. This is what a stout should look like.

S: Lots of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee. I smell more chocolate than coffee. Secondary aroma of spicy hops and alcohol also comes through.

T: Upfront it's loads of chocolate malt with coffee tinges. Hop flavor does a nice job supporting but certainly plays second fiddle. Aftertaste is of burned grain and bittersweet chocolate. Slight alcohol burn also.

M: My favorite part of this beer. It's exceptionally creamy; the mouthfeel reminds me of an ice cream float. Only thing that hurts it is that it's a little too carbonated.

D: The higher ABV and alcohol spiciness make it hard to have more than a couple of these at a time. Still, as far as Imperial stouts go, this is as drinkable as they come.

3.08/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, almost black. 1 finger, chocolate color head.

Smell of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. The nose is mostly sweet. I can also pick up an alcohol smell.

The taste starts off with very sweet malts, sweet chocolate, followed by roasted malts. I'm picking up this tangy, tart, syrupy flavor near the finish. Molasses, i think. It finishes with huge hops and a lingering bitterness

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Combine that with the high ABV and you get a sipping beer. Not very drinkable.

Overall, i thought this beer was ok. I like hoppy finishes in my beer but im used to it with an IPA/DIPA not with a stout. I like my stouts creamy, sweet, and lightly hopped. Also, i wasn't a big fan of this tangy taste i was getting on the finish. it was weird.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

A- This maybe the darkest beer I have ever drank. It's pitch black with a rust colored head that starts as a one finger but then leaves with a film on top. That leaves good lacing. Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

S- Smells like chocolate and alcohol with a slight bit of hoppiness.

T- Has a real bitter taste but not overwhelming. You can kinda taste the alcohol but the bitterness of the hops matches with it nicely.

M- Real crisp kind of a light feel for an imperial stout. You can almost feel the alcohol burning your mouth.

D- Too many of these would leave you in gutter. Probably two or three is all you can drink. But other then that its real easy drinking.

Note- The date on the bottle was from June of 06'.

Overall a good beer and I'm quite fond of it.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Thick, brown/black in color. no light penetrates. 2 fingers of tan/brown head.
S: roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and I think a little toffee. a light hint of hoppiness.
T: for being dominated by sweet, roasted flavors (chocolate, coffee, toffee) it has a very nice complexity.
M: creamy, thick and nicely carbonated. (personally would like more thickness, but I like motor oil)
D: A great beer for about two pints, but the alcohol and sweetness may get intense after that.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz. bottle, 3/11/11, poured into a shaker pint.

Mocha head very quickly receding to no head whatsoever. Some legs, but more of just a light brown smear left on the glass. Absolutely opaque.

The first smell that I notice is roasted, unmalted barley. Behind that, some cocoa and coffee.

Creamy mouthfeel, slightly burnt taste, nice hoppiness that compliments the burnt aroma, maybe too much, if this were my homebrew, I would probably drop the roastiness and see what happened. Very pleasant, a nice strong-tasting, thick stout to write this research journal article over. I like this...but I think Old Rasputin is better, more widely available, and cheaper.

Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company