2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hibernation Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hibernation AleHibernation Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Old Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-26-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hibernation Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,120 | Reviews: 1,061 | Show All Ratings:
artcurtis

Colorado

Poured from the bottle into my Great Divide Tulip.
A - Pours beautifully, with a small, light, white head. It fairly quickly dissipates down to a fine, white layer of bubbles. It is a very dark reddish brown. When held up to light it shows to be perfectly clear. Leaves a light bit of lacing.

S - mmmm....this smells so good. Rich and roasty. Definitely some hop presence here. Carmel malts and the slightest bit of alcohol finish off the nose.

T - Man, this is easily my favorite winter ale, and one of my favorite beers. Great Divide does a lot of things great, but this is the one they do best. The first is a wonderful, deep roast, quickly followed by a nice spike of warming alcohol. The booze doesn't overpower, and is perfect for a winter warmer. It follows with a nice kick of hop bitterness. Again, not overpowering. This Ale is wonderfully balanced. Everything blends into a wonderful whole.

M - Nice and smooth, fairly light bodied for how big a beer it is. A nice small bit of carbonation really seals the deal

D - Amazing. Not really a session beer, at least not for me. But two definitely hit the spot. And this beer is absolutely wonderful with food. Try some blue cheese, trust me, its perfect.

12-14-2010 05:02:47 | More by artcurtis
BhamBeerLover

4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

Medium brown color along the lines of what I expected. Tasted some roasted qualities that were very pleasing. This beer seemed true to style and certainly exceeded my expectations. A great beer in a great style from a great brewery. Thank you Colorado!

10-20-2012 00:58:17 | More by BhamBeerLover
unklesyd

Oregon

4.93/5  rDev +22%

I had to stop what I was doing to write this, so strong was my desire to tell the (advocate)world to go get yourself some of this RIGHT NOW!

Right away I noticed that this beer's aroma was intoxicating enough to take me straight through to the end and more. Terrific complexity: toffee, dried fruits, caramel malt (slight).

Fantastic color and clarity, head and lacing.

What a brew: caramelized, biscuity, slightly nutty, warms down the throat.

Usually I don't drink more than one bottle of the same beer at a time, and I decided to go back for another (which was a tough call since I only had two). Needless to say, I'll be hitting up the beer store quickly to stock up.

10-09-2005 22:41:49 | More by unklesyd
ultralarry2006

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger tan colored head with some good retention, and good lacing. Body is a red tinted brown. Looks very good.

Smell - malty ! and malty ! - toasty malt bread drizzled with brown sugar and caramel. Hint of figs, plums, and raisins. Some spicy alcohol. More malt and brown sugar. Simply mouthwatering !

Taste - exactly like the smell. Malt and brown sugar flood your tongue, finishing with a spicy and pleasantly warming alcohol. Toasted malts, caramel malts, brown sugar, caramel, and hint of plums and raisins. There is spicy, sometimes medicinal alcohol. There is much hop bitterness, but not hop flavor, and it's a balancing counterpoint to all that rich malty sweetness, and really not so much from aromatics or flavors - it's as if the hops in this ale are maybe the backbone on which this richly sweet malt is supported, and without it, the malt would be wildly out of whack.... Anyway, this all combines for a uniquely robust, hearty, and delicious malty ale.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, creamy, and " fluffy " ( like eating puffed grain cereal ).

Drinkability - this is most excellent ale ! The abv is just a little over my personal limit for sessionability, but just a little..., and I really like this stuff. It is too bad that it is not available year round.

03-22-2007 20:15:50 | More by ultralarry2006
OrangeAmps

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

The beer is red-brown in color with a one finger head. It looks amazing in the glass, and the lacing is great.

The smell is malt heavy, without much aromatic hop presence. Brown sugar, chocolate, caramel, booze, and cinnamon all come to mind.

The taste is even better than the smell. Pretty complex and on par with every other old ale ive had (Old rasputin, Founders Curmudgeon, etc.). It is my favorite one thus far. The hops are present in the bitterness, but not in the flavoring, which makes a nice counterpoint to the sugary malty flavors. For some reason, i really tasted cinnamon or something very similar to cinnamon in this beer.

This beer is amazing.

05-05-2011 04:08:37 | More by OrangeAmps
asabreed

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

A bottle of the 2004 variety, so this guy's a year old I suppose.

Well, it's not winter, and seeing as I'm in Richmond it doesn't even seem like fall's approaching. Then again, I've been waiting to crack this sucker open for a while, as the reviews and recommendations from others have gotten me quite excited.

Appearance: A beautiful hybrid between almost a stout and an amber (though closer to a dark amber). It's toward dark, but no opaque like a stout. When light hits you can make out the red and brown tints, making it glow a bit. Lacing is strong, though head dissipates faster than I wanted. But good Lord, the color, maybe one of the best I've seen as far as repetitive eye candy goes.

Smell: Immediately the idea of "quality" comes to mind, which oddly enough reminds of me many beers I can't presently pinpoint. By quality I mean you can tell that the hops and malt are quality hops and malt, and if you don't know what I mean, maybe you need to be drinking and getting into (especially with the nose) more quality brews. Now I get an almost porter and stout-like roasted malt quality, dark, not burnt but toasted, and heavy -- chocolate, coffee, mocha? All of it seems to be there, yet not overpowering. And still a slight floral quality comes through, a floral aroma of hops mingling nicely with the thick, toasted, and sweet malt character. Very balanced and expertly crafted.

Taste: I hate to compare the taste as it warms to one of my favorite beers, which is Rogue Chocolate Stout, but it does indeed remind me of it. However, there's plenty of hop bitterness here, and the coming together of both is stupidly satisfying, and way beyond balanced. I rarely use the term purity, but this is so pure it's like a drug to me. Excellent malt and hop collision, a lingering aftertaste of coffee, chocolate, and some hops. This is amazing.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, so damn creamy. Cloying? No, not at all (I think thanks to the hops). Beautiful carbonation levels. I'm beyond impressed.

Drinkability: Too good to make a session, but not as expensive as I think it probably should be. This beer is amazing. Great Divide has proven itself already, but this just makes me more of a believer.

My new goal is to get everything I can by Great Divide. And if you haven't noticed by my review, you should try to seek this out.

09-16-2005 02:09:24 | More by asabreed
sevopie

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +20%

A couple of up front notes here. This year's vintage is labeled as 8.7%, as opposed to the 8.1% of last years. Also, I'm reviewing a new and cellared version side by side (bottled on Sep 22 2009, and Nov 12 2008.) **Score will be given on the cellared version.**

Both pour a color that is best described as a chocolate ruby, with a tan/light brown head. The older one has a bit less head, and ends up lacing drastically less than the fresh one.

A lot of smokiness and cocoa on the nose on the fresh one, whereas the aged one has a lot of dark fruit and cinnamon on the nose. Very interesting and dramatic difference.

The alcohol really is prominent on the fresh one, and there's almost a cacophony of spices on the tongue, very jumbled. There's a touch of bread and chocolate, and a strange bitter lingering aftertaste.
The aged one is markedly smoother and teeming with bread and cocoa flavors, with noticeable cinnamon, nutmeg, raisin, and a dash of brown sugar.

The mouthfeel is very similar on these 2, with a full creamy body and a healthy carbonation. Its probably slightly lighter on the carbonation with the aged one, but its not detrimental at all.

I was not a big fan of Hibernation last year when I first tried it, but this has thoroughly changed my mind. I lost a bet last year (football related) and "donated" 2 6-packs to a friend who ended up cellaring them. He let me try a few bottles this year, and I was absolutely blown away. His patience has paid off immensely, and I will absolutely now start cellaring some beers. The aged version of last year's Hibernation may be one of the best beers I have ever tried. As far as this year's goes... its not the worst winter beer I have ever had, but its incredibly hot for the 8.7% it lists, and probably could also use a year in the basement.

11-16-2009 04:56:09 | More by sevopie
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark ruby, caramel color with plentiful off white head, great tracing. Aroma is characteristic of the style, tons of chocolaty, toasty malts, with the addition of some great spicy hop notes. This has one of the best bouquets of any old ale/barleywine. On the palate, the chocolate malt flavor comes through with a rush. A medium-high body with lower than avg. carbonation finishes out with a sweet and yet burnt caramel flavor, a sign the hops are higher than normal. This was such a treat to get my hands on since moving here, I shall buy as much until it's sold out; and then I'll move the equally tasty Ruffian.
Would love to see how this holds up to some age.

01-02-2008 18:15:11 | More by dreadnatty08
robg2251

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

The beer pours a really nice deep amber color with a nice one finger creamy colored head. I could smell the creamy malts and hops as I poured this.
I smell hints of creamy chocolate, roasted, toffee right up front. I also get some hop hints in there too.
The mouth feel is crisp yet thick with higher carbonation. The taste is a very malty chocolate, almost tootsie roll flavor with a bit of a hop bitter bite to it, but definitely not a huge one. The after taste leaves a smokey roasted flavor in my mouth.
This beer is really good. Rich, but definitely one I could enjoy a few of. I could probably go on and on about the amazing taste. Mostly I just want to get done typing this so I can sit back and enjoy the rest of this thing. Definitely an amazing beer. This tops out at 8.1%, but the higher alcohol isn't too upfront. It is definitely a sipping beer, but after you taste it, you'll see why.. you'll want to saver the complexity going on here. Ok, enough - of to enjoy the rest of this thing!

11-12-2008 00:24:49 | More by robg2251
samie85

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

A-Pours a maroon/brown color with two and a half fingers of very dense, glistening, light brown head.

S-Some faint dark fruit notes, a bit of chocolate and roasted notes with some spice and a slightly floral hop nose.

T-A bit of bitter floral and pine notes with dark chocolate, roasted malt, and dark fruit notes and finishes malty and bitter.

M-Medium bodied with low carbonation and a rich sumptuous mouthfeel. It's chewy without being over the top thick.

D-I don't even think words can describe how easy drinking this beer is. I've almost gone through a six pack in 2 days... it's just almost regal in its richness but balanced by the pronounced, yet not scene-stealing hop notes. I kind of want to run out and buy a case of this. It really is that good!

12-23-2010 04:08:29 | More by samie85
KarlHungus

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

This brew pours a clear dark red color with a small white head that recedes quickly. The aroma is dark and malty. Chocolate, and caramel, with citrusy hops peaking through. It actually smells of warmth, as though it will keep you warm the whole winter. The taste is very balanced. Perhap, it is the most balance big beer I have had. The mouthfeel is full bodied and smooth, with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a very good beer worthy of its name.

11-09-2005 01:53:10 | More by KarlHungus
atsprings

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Review #450!! Served a crisp deep copper with a thin head that diminished to a ring and left slight lacing. The aroma was an abundance of piny hops and caramel. The taste was a near perfect balance of pine hops and deep caramel malts, absolutely wonderful! The beer was slightly heavy, but not overbearing with tolerable warming alcohol. This beer is almost perfect for a cold winter night and certainly leaves you ready for some actual hibernation.

11-25-2007 07:20:53 | More by atsprings
YouSkeete

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Deep ruby red/light brown. Short off-white head with moderate lacing.

S: Caramel, chocolate, butterscotch, molasses, and dark fruits. Lots of rich, thick, creamy textures in the aroma. Very robust.

T/M: Creamy chocolate and caramel flavors, rich hops, molasses. Dark fruits, smokey wood, and roasted/toasted nuts are large components of the overall flavor also. Huge, rich, complex flavor. Bitter, sweet, complex, nutty mouthfeel. Moderately carbonated. 8.7% is noticeable but nowhere near overpowering.

D: Really amazing, great brew.

11-27-2011 23:56:50 | More by YouSkeete
2Cents

Nebraska

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A. It looks like weak coffee.

S. Caramel and mocha with just a hint alcohol

T. Like a Carmel, coffee, licorice and brown sugar liqueur.

M. Medium body with mild alcohol bite for a beer nearing 9% a.v.b.

O. I can't remember trying a beer with such a pleasant after taste, that really sticks around. This is a really good seasonal from Great Divide.

11-30-2013 04:40:31 | More by 2Cents
Bananaman

Sweden

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

This was a real treat, and excellent beer from a super good brewery. Hibernation must be one of this years best Christmas-beers.

Smells nicely of some ginger snaps, some wineous notes and a nice touch of rosted malts.

Taste is even better! A real delicate taste of ginger-snaps, caramel, almost a date plum-ish sweetness. Really balanced, it's almost like this I've imagined that North Coast's Old Stock ale would become after some cellaring.

12-09-2008 19:05:33 | More by Bananaman
Loki

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle with year produced indication. My sample was from 2002.

Poured a slightly cloudy, dark, caramel brown from the bottle. The pour produced a mountainous head, with a rounded center peak that was filled with bubbles and holes. Very unique in that the center was a near perfect circle that dipped into almost a moat that sloped back up near the edges, but not as high as the center. Head retention was amazing and the head lasted longer than the beer did. Incredible lacing, ribbons, peaks, and spots throughout the inside of the glass that just hung completely oblivious to gravity.

The aromas were of malt that had been slowly roasted to perfection, sweet caramel, and subtle chocolate or maybe toffee scent that seemed to just hover in the back. There was also a promise of some bitter, or maybe dry hops.

The taste was, well perfect for an English style ale as the bottle touts. Like the nose, the taste started with slowly roasted malt, sweet caramel, and subtle chocolates that lead into a slightly bitter slightly dry hop finish. The finish almost leaves the feeling that this was a cask-conditioned ale. I think if this was put into a blind tasting I might say it was cask-conditioned, or bottle conditioned at the very least.

This could be the finished English ale I've had this side of the pond. truly amazing, my only regret is that I have no more. Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to go to Colorado anyway!

06-05-2003 05:11:43 | More by Loki
czechsaaz

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Very malty aroma with some munich like toastiness but also a nutty character. Kind of like an English brown ale kicked up about 15 notches. Hop aroma is very much in the background but it's there. Finally there's a spicey aroma.

Deep red color, almost brown with a thick khaki colored head that fades to a solid thin foamy layer. Small amount of rising carbonation bubbles.

Really good malty flavor with some bown sugar flavors and more of the toasty character. Hop bitterness is pretty high but there's so much malt that I really don't pick up the bitterness much until the aftertaste. Some spicy hop flavor in the mid palate. I also get an orange-like citrus that's not hoppy citrus. Maybe the addition of sweet orage peel? All around tasty beer.

Full bodied with a great creamy carbonation level. With the light carbonation level and big body added to a slight warming alcohol effect, it's a nice strong winter warmer beer.

Very nice beer. Perfect for a cold night. Big but not overwhelming. Not so big that you feel compeled to sip and savor instead of drink it. But also complex and flavorful to warrant a savoring experience if you want.

12-07-2006 07:47:16 | More by czechsaaz
beercat11

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

2012 vintage

A- Enjoyed in a nice crystal snifter. Pleasant copperish color. Medium
carbonation with tiny bubbles forming a thin head giving way to a
lacing that lasts throughout the beer.

S- I smell roasted figs, dark raisins and butterscotch. There are small
hints of boozy vanilla.

T- Taste is simillar to smell in the way of sweet roasted fruits and candy.
The abv is there but compliments the abundant malt, keeping in
mind that this beer is new and fresh.

M- Carbonation is in perfect harmony with sweetness. Has a wonderful
dry/bitter finish that fades slowly.

O- This brew has all of qualities you would look for in this style. I find
it close to Old Curmudeon wich is one of my favorites. For a fresh batch, I think it's
delicious and would have a hard time holding some back now that the cooler
weather has arrived.

10-20-2012 03:42:56 | More by beercat11
dar482

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes a stout dark black with some brown and red coming through in the light. The head is mocha color, half a finger with tons of lacing.

The aroma is interesting with tons of robust roasty stout/porter character with rich chocolate with a bit of woodiness from the hops. Sweet molasses, toffee, some vanilla.

The flavor follows with a theme of robust porter roasty malt with some milk chocolate and tons and tons of coffee. The middle hits with toffee sweetness, caramel, molasses. The finish lingers with herbal hops, woodiness, tons of aggressive bitterness.

Absolutely in love with this. It's so interesting, so robust, so complex.

12-02-2013 03:26:25 | More by dar482
feloniousmonk

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Dark purple/garnet in color, fluffy, creamy head. Nose is spicy, warm, sweet, buttery, notes of cramel, cinnamon, toast, nutmeg, nuts. An excellent aroma bouquet. Smooth mouthfeel, great texture, full body. One of the most sweet, smooth, and comforting dark ales of any style I've ever come across. An excellent beverage, rich in texture, full with malt, little bitterness but a woefully short finish, for all it's flavor. This one goes in my Hall of Fame of winter ales!

12-26-2002 17:24:15 | More by feloniousmonk
budgood1

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

hazy dark ruby colored, with a thick and sticky tan head which leaves ample amounts of lace. wonderful aroma of piney hops, caramel and chocolate malts. a bit rough in the mouthfeel at first, but finishes surprisingly smooth. tastes of spicy alcohol, chocolate, caramel, and a distinct spice and hop aftertaste. full bodied. loads of malts and hops fill your senses with joy. this is the best winter brew by far i've sampled this season. this is a beer worth stockpiling. highly recommended and worthy of special distinction among the other highly touted brews. a winter classic.

01-05-2003 22:50:56 | More by budgood1
nlmartin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is the 2006 vintage of Hibernation Ale. The beer is served in my trusty Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: This beers body is a lovely shade of chestnut brown. Slow active carbonation dance to the surface of the beer. This slow active carbonation helps maintain a thin creamy biege head. The lacing on my glass is thick like pancake batter. Yeah this beer looks very good in the glass.

Smell: The beer has a intriguing combination of chocolatey, nutty, smoked, roasted and toasted maltyness. This is supported by Christmas Tree like hoppyness with a brief kiss of boozey citrus.

Taste: This beer reproduces the smell in the flavor. The alcohol provides a slightly spicey alcohol burn to the beer. Some guys may not enjoy the boozeyness of this beer. For me this is a welcome addition to the beer. I wonder if Great Divide has done a Bourbon Aged version of Hibernation. Some how I think Bourbon Aging would be a natural.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a full body with a slightly oily texture. The slow carbonation helps break some of the oilyness up. This is a dam fine seasonal strong ale. This wouldnt be a good sessionable beer for many beer drinkers at 8%. Being a 220 pound man I find this nearing sessionable. I look forward to a few more of these this year.

11-12-2006 12:23:36 | More by nlmartin
mynie

Indiana

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

THIS is what an old ale is supposed to taste like? Woah, I get it now. After years of drinking old ales that were poorly brewed or else came from Englands and were (ironically enough) spoiled by their age, I've finally found an old ale that lives up to the hype.

This falls somewhere between a brown ale and a strong IPA. Or, hold up let's do this in the proper order:

Pretty pour, dark brown. Came out kind of flat-looking but sure enough a very fine head wound up on top of my glass when all was said and done and it's stuck around ever since. Impressive, considering the ABV.

My first reaction was that it smelled like a combination of a brown ale and a strong IPA, but after thinking about it a little bit I don't think that's accurate. The hop profile isn't that big or varied, even, but it's still strong and present. What it does borrow from a strong IPA is a lightly syrupy maltiness, but to this is added a wonderfully biscuity brown ale malt. So, instead of having a firm malt acting as a background to a complex hop profile (as it the wont of so many big beers right now), we have the exact opposite.

It tastes like it smells. Firm hop up front, leading into delicious malt profile. The softer, biscuity malt veers more into winter warmer territory than a simple brown, with nice nodes of fruit and overall a zippier taste than simpele brown malt. The flavor transitions gracefully into firm hop again, and--a surprise at the end--a delicious, sweet aftertaste like candy.

Wow what a beer. And at 8.10% what a dangerous beer! If I ever find this on tap I might not make it home in one piece...

04-28-2008 06:10:13 | More by mynie
cthulu81

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First let me start by saying I am vuury, vurry glad that Virginia got this beer again. It has been 3 long years since I had Hibernation last and it has been one of the G.D. beers I have missed most. What 'cha got cold Fall nights? With this beer in hand I can withstand even your worst wintry blasts. On to the beer. As gorgeous in the glass as it is on the nose. Deep autumnal amber hue with a tight, slightly off-white head. The nose is rich, with an inital wave of dry cocoa followed closely by earthy, piney hops. Belgian dark chocolate mixed with fir trees? Yeah, I am ready for this bad boy. The hops hit the tongue first but are imediately bodychecked off thier feet by the bold, smooth malt flavors. These are some bruisers for sure. Their swagger is confident and composed. And why shouldn't it be? They are packing heat like roast malt, perfectly baked brownies, molasses, and perhaps even a hint of Herseys syrup. But they never ov erstay thier welcome and become too rich or cloying. Drying, resinous hops pick up after the malt onslaught and keep things brisk, clean and ready for another rumble. Not to say this beer doesn't have a pleasing finish that lounges on your palate, but it is a 'sessionable' old ale by me account. Glorious. It shall soon earn itself a week or two on my kegerator, if that strikes anyone out there as a ringing vote of approval. Hope my roommates like it. Or hope they don't actually.

10-08-2009 00:14:12 | More by cthulu81
Sunnanek

Sweden

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Great Minds Drink Alike": the print on the cap - I just love it!!!

A: The pour is burgundy with a rich thick longlasting off-white head that leaves great rich lacings.

S: Chocolate (malt) at first but after that the smells evolves: rich and very complex. Brown sugar and dark dried frutis (mostly dried figs). Nice floral hops.

T: Light roasted but very powerful chocolate malt, there are some caramell malt in this rich and complex brew as well. Obviuos floral hops; nice mix of english (most) american hops (fainter). Dark dried fruit. But the taste is so complex that I sence different flavours for each mouthful.

M: The aftertaste is really long, mostly sweet but with a sturdy bitterness in the back - in great balance. The body is full and the carbonation is light.

D: Truly a great beer. This style is the only one that comes close to the best trappist-beers (quads). The Hibernation Ale has a great taste with a very interesting mix between english and american floral hops.

11-21-2009 18:26:10 | More by Sunnanek