Hibernation Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hibernation AleHibernation Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Old Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hibernation Ale Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -62.8%

thomas2357, Dec 04, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -62.8%

evankeeling, Dec 20, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -62%

This beer must be infected. There is no sell-by date and the beer is a cloudy tan. It taste likes rotten lemons. A very sour citrus taste dominates. It's simply awful. Lots of floaty things in it. There is very little carbonation. And based on other high ratings, all I can assume is I got a infected 6-pack.

jpkoch1962, Jan 29, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -54.1%

This beer pours a deep copper color with amber highlights and a decent tan head which seemed rather loose and rocky. The aroma was strong on malts and fruit, bringing pears to mind. The taste is very sour, with a bitter lemon aftertaste. Almost like rotten lemons. The extreme sourness of this beer hid almost any other flavor. A bit of hop bitterness and maybe a touch of caramel poked through the sharp edge of this beer, but nothing else. The mouthfeel felt like lemon juice as well, thin and astringent. With the putrid taste, drinkability was virtually nil. The only thing I can see this beer should be used for is bringing something out of hibernation. It could probably wake the dead, or kill some of the living! A souring disappointment.

Note: After reading some of the other reviews, it is possible I had a bad bottle. Unfortunately, one was all I had, and I'm not sure of the age. It expired in March '03. I plan to revisit this beer at a later date.

aaronh, Jan 06, 2003

KegsAndEggs, Aug 27, 2012

AllHailBeercules, Aug 27, 2012

craft_shannie, Dec 02, 2012

bpgpitt10, Nov 16, 2011

tmars13, Mar 03, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -49.1%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a totally flat clear medium amber with a barely a poof of a head and no lacing.

The aroma is very light and right off the start it smells really weird to me, like old gym socks soaked in urine or just bo. there is a little amount of spice.

The taste is better, stale and has smoke. It tastes like an ale, but not a good one.

jrallen34, Jan 07, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -44.7%

12oz bottle of 2007 vintage, purchased at the Rocket Market in Spokane.

Poured a clear, dark amber color with two inches of light tan foam. The head stuck around for a while, then slowly slithered down the sides of the glass, leaving sheets of lace.

A bit one-dimensional in the nose, with a big, sweet malty presence. As it warms up, a little bit of hoppiness is descernable, but the malts are in charge here.

This needs balance. The malts don't seem as sweet in the taste as they did in the nose, and don't meld well with the hops, weak as they are. There's a little bit of alcohol heat that also sticks out rather than melds. Basically, this tastes to me like what a vaguely tasty cough syrup might be like.

Medium bodied, with a slightly stick mouthfeel.

Tried to get through this, couldn't. Hopefully my last drainpour of 2007.

woemad, Dec 30, 2007
Photo of
2.25/5  rDev -44.2%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Nov 09, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

One word description- Disappointing

Having heard great things about this brew I was anxious to try it. However, I was quickly disappointed. It poured a amber brown color that was appealing. The head consistency was average. The flavor was weak and the beer itself lacked the carbonation to carry it through the palette. The flavor faded fast and left me waiting for something that it couldn't deliver. I will try again...may have been a bad batch. This is unlikely as the location I was at does very brisk business.

HBomb81, Nov 11, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle bought in 2006.

I tried Hibernation at a local beer fest and wasn't all that impressed. It had been long enough that I guess I forgot what it tasted like and picked up a six pack. It pours a very nice deep amber hue, almost opaque. Head is fairly thick and fades to some nice lacing. Smell is heavily malted with a little bit of hops and a good amount of alcohol coming through. Taste is not as good as I'd like. There's way too much alcohol coming through. The way the alcohol mixes with the malt just doesn't do it for me, and kills the drinkability. Mouthfeel is decent, but the alcohol ads a bit of a sting.

Overall not the great offering that I'd expect from Great Divide. And to qualify that, I absolutely love Titan IPA and Fresh Hop, and other Great Divide brews. This one just doesn't do it for me.

theWrkncacnter, Feb 18, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -40%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark copper color with just a little bit less than a finger length head.

S- Not really a very strong scent, but you can smell a tad bit of malts and hops.

T- Very malty taste with a strong chocolate and caramel presence. Finish is a little bit hoppy.

M- Smooth, but the malty flavor is too much for me.

D- I think it's very drinkable if you like this kind of beer. I really don't so I could not have more than one.

Overall it's a good beer for this type, but I don't like this type so it's not really for me.

Bagman007, Dec 28, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -40%

One of the prettiest beers I've had. Rich, brilliantly clear, ruddy amber in the glass with a tan colored head featuring moderate lacing.

I gotta say, though, I really wanted to like this beer a lot more than I did. Overpowering, almost medicinal flavor just about floored me.

Just didn't work for me.

mac56, Feb 11, 2007

2k6

Pours exactly like I want: brown with copper highlights and a thick custard like off white head.

Smells like caramelized sugars and chocolate malt. I'm not a huge chocolate malt fan.

Chocolate malt, chocolate malt, chocolate malt! Some sweetness in the background. Not what I was looking at all.

Nice thick, rich mouthfeel with very moderate CO2. Spot on for a winter warmer.

High booze content and way too much chocolate malt make this a one time only beer.

Overall, I was hoping for an old ale, not an overgrown brown ale. I'm really freakin' disappointed.

krberg, Nov 02, 2006

kscaldef, Dec 11, 2013

beerslushy, Nov 20, 2013

jfcaa193, Feb 15, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -36%

Hibernation Ale pours a lovely burnt copper in my glass. Aroma is of malts and a little fruit twang. The malts are tasty on the tongue. After the malts go away you are left with a fruit bitterness and a little alcohol burn. It's a pretty beer with not much else going for it. I could not recommend this beer unless you happen to be a fan of the style.(I must not be)

BeerMark, Nov 07, 2009