Wild Raspberry Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Raspberry Ale Alström Bros
1.38/5  rDev -61%

I drank this side by side with a bottle of New Belgium Frambozen to compare CO fruit beers. Sadly, this brew didn't match up well.

Pours a clear berry red. Some head that dissipates quickly and little sign of carbonation. Raspberry is the dominant smell.

As soon as I had a swig, I knew that this was going to be hard to stomach. The raspberry flavor is strong at first and dissipates quickly. What's left doesn't have much distinguishable flavor and has an unfortunately slimey mouthfeel. The medium body is easy to drink and what I can say for this is that the fruit flavor isn't offensive one way or the other. My major critique here is that there's not much to like about this beer beyond that initial hint of raspberry.

Pass this one up and try one of Great Divide's other, tasty beverages. (805 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -60.2%

1/2 beer, 1/2 a-fizzing! I have to wait for this supercarbonater to rest nearly a full minute before I can turn up the bottle and empty its contents. The liquid came out with a cherry red tinge but in its Carolina Brewery pint glass container, it looks much like a highly carbonated (muddy) brown. Even as I add the last eighth, the fizz again creeps back to bulge out of the glass.

It's difficult to smell anything past the thick layer of foam that remains. It's sad that raspberry doesn't permeate my olfactory lobe. The smell is hardly distinctive, and that's a problem for a fruit beer.

The taste is overwhelmingly malty. I'm thinking something might be wrong with this one. It tastes stale. Bottled the third week in April (though I can't specify the year), I'm thinking this beer might just suck. I love fruit beers (I thought), and this one just doesn't do them justice. The label calls it "a beer lover's fruit beer." Quite frankly, I'm appalled. I notice further from the label it's fermented with red and BLACK raspberries. Without knowing anything about the intricacies of fruits, I'm thinking that this beer is more black raspberries...and that's not a good thing. It's overly malted and/or black raspberried out--hardly worth sipping.

Mouthfeel, like everything else, is disappointing. What do you do when you struggle to detect fruit in a fruit beer? It's not as if it's overwhelmed by alcohol like a Fort; instead, it's like a macrobrewed fruit fiasco. A beer trying to be something...and failing.

I typically love to throw in fruit beers at the end of tastings to provide something sweet for the palate. This one, unfortunately, is not worth existing. I really think Great Divide should rid this from its repertoire. (1,736 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -53.7%

Poured into a 16oz Pint Glass

Appearance - Dark Red in color with a very good amount of haze. Pours a 2 finger head that is slightly pink in color, something which is a first for me. Isn't too much as far as lacing is concerned.

Smell - Raspberry smell with some very sour notes to it and it's pretty powerful too. You really have to look deep to find some malty notes, but for the most part, it's all raspberries. I'm not quite so fond of the smell

Taste - Raspberries with some sour & malty notes. While it's not as sour as the smell makes it out to be, it still comes off a bit on the sour side for my tastes. The raspberry flavor isn't really all that sweet, and it gives the beer more of a grassy sort of flavor. The malty notes here are okay but the flavor does come off as quite offensive in terms of how sour it is. Aftertaste is a bittersweet raspberry and barley flavor.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light in body, and the carbonation isn't too powerful either. However, the sourness does to get in the way when trying to enjoy this beer and hampering the overall feel on the palette

Overall - This is an example of a novelty beer. It's a beer that people will either love or hate. Sadly, this would be a beer that I would avoid because the flavor comes off as sour and the raspberry flavor comes off as more bland than it does sweet. (1,345 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -47.5%

Aroma: I was struck even before pouring by the strong raspberry aroma of this beer. It is sweet, and it had a faint wheaty character, giving it a jam-on-toast quality.

Appearance: A beautiful red color, reminiscent of fruit juice. It pours with a good head, that is nicely tinged with red, which dissipates quickly.

Taste: Surgary sweet and tasting strongly of raspberry, the taste this beer did not hold up on the promise of the aroma and appearance. I found the raspberry overpowering to the point of making the beer a chore to drink.

Mouthfeel: Thin without being watery, combined with a pleasant crispness give this beer a fine mouthfeel.

Overall, this beer lost me on taste. I love raspberries, but the strength of the raspberry flavor in this beer was too much. Combined with the cloying sweetness, I was hard pressed to find any other flavor. (861 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep purply-red from the bottle with a finger of effervescent white head. Smell is a little tart and reminds me of soda. Taste has a faint fruit note, and I can buy that it's raspberries. As far as beer goes, however, you could have told me I was drinking flavored water, and I would have believed it. Flavor and mouthfeel are weak and watery to the point that this reminded me a lot of Perrier mineral water. This is a drinkable beer, but it's not satisfying. (468 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a bottle into an English pub (real) pint glass on 08/19/2010.

Appearance: Dark red colour, relatively low carbonation. Three finger head dies down to nothing within four minutes.

Smell: A sort of rank scent - an off-smell, not inviting. It's fruity, but artificial.

Taste: Like raspberry soda with an overly sweet finish. No bold flavors. The beer is one note of raspberry throughout, unbalanced. This beer doesn't succeed as a fruit beer, much less a beer in general - it's more of a candied soda.

Mouthfeel: A light, thin mouthfeel that slowly fades. It's almost fizzy. Not pleasant, but not revolting.

Drinkability: Easily consumed, but leaves one wanting for a real beer. I'd pass this one over in the future - there are far better fruit beers out there. (780 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Poured chilled in flared glass.

A: dark reddish copper; flat head; strong carb; not much lacing
S: strong raspberry aroma, very inviting; occludes other smells
T: expected sweet--it isn't; the raspberry dominates, but it's quite sour, draped over a wheat-beer-like base; I must confess, this tasted terrible to me; it tasted like nothing else I've had, so I don't think this is something against the genre
M: good carbonation redeems the experience a bit

Overall, a terrible beer, for me. (490 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -38.1%

A - Pale red, like strawberry juice, a touch of lacing, constant head, though it is small.

S - Almost exactly like Turkey Hill raspberry iced tea.

T - Tastes like a raspberry seltzer water. No aftertaste. Very little flavor here and what is here isn't really worth drinking.

M - Harsh from carbonation, thin, pretty refreshing, a little drying from the high carbonation though.

D - Well, it is easy to drink, but it has little character and not a single characteristic I would expect from beer. Really not worth having even when it is free. Could serve as one of those beers for someone who doesn't like any beers in general. (637 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Bottled on: Dec 04 2008. The body was a rich amber-red grape color. Clear of sediment with a mild white head that faded quickly.

Smell was raspberry. Stale grain. A little like a wet puppy. Not especially enticing.

Taste was sweet and lightly tart. This one left an unpleasant after-taste. This is a strange beer.

Mouthfeel was only minimally carbonated. Medium in body. (434 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: 09AUG11

A: Pours a reddened amber ale with a falling off-white head that falls to a central cap with no support. A bit hazy with no lacing.

S: Raspberry with a simple amber like backbone. More raspy when first opened, and this smell dies quickly.

T: Tastes of woody, oxidized ale with a nice raspberry aromatic tone. Nothing special here.

M: Light body with hi carb and a semi dry finish.

O: Meh. Last one I purchase. (432 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%

Done in a horizontal tasting with Thirsty Dog Raspberry Ale and Founders Rubeas(from notes).

Eye: Very clear and cranberry juice in color. Rocky pinkish white tainted head. Lacing looks to be somewhat decent and retention is stable at about 1/2 a finger. Looks lively with carbonation.

Nose: Not much raspberry in aroma but I dote a good malt nose. Raspberry is there but in small amounts, it took me a minute to find and I only found it because I was actively looking for it. Some wheat and lightly toasted malts in here. Smells much more like beer than the Thirsty Dog(which smelled quite a bit more like a wine cooler..but hey thats fruit beer for you!). Nice malt backbone, maybe some caramel or extremely lightly kilned crystal malt. In my opinion, for a fruit beer, this needs more raspberry.

Tongue: To be honest I'm having a hard timefinding the raspberry here. I' get much more of the malt flavor than I do the fruit. Toasty, a bit dry, and some light crystal...wheat too. In reality theres just not all that much here, I think that this one pretty much fails as a fruit beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light in the mouth, with just about nothing. There is nothing redeeming about the way this beer feels or drinks. I will not come back to this beer. Infact, I am sorry that I spent money on this one.

More beer than fruit,(and in a fruit beer, I'm not really looking for that; I'm looking for something that could be "fufu" if you catch my drift) (1,463 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -33.6%

Something is wrong here. I see previous reviews that look upon this beer favorably. I mean it wasn't bad, but....
Pours like Coca-Cola, brownish red and NO head retention. None. Nada. Have you ever had Sprite?
Slightly raspberry smell with a wheat textured background.
Is this a fruit beer? All I can taste is club soda with a dash of grenadine and maybe a little roast on the back of the tongue(strange).
So damned fizzy, that I can hardly taste a thing. Does not live up to it's reputation. Perhaps a bad bottle?
Actually light enough that it is relatively drinkable, although not worth the money.
I can barely taste the "hundreds of pounds of black and red raspberries" that they claim to have fermented this beer with. (728 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This looks like what I would expect out of a raspberry beer. A dark, blood red or ruby color with tints of brown. A quick foamy off-white head forms out of the bottle and fades quickly. The bubbles audibly pop and disappear. No lacing.

Smell: Raspberry syrup, tart raspberries, some light bready malt.

Taste: I have the same issue with this as I have had with other raspberry beers in the past - the raspberry flavor just comes across too synthetic to really be enjoyable. I want raspberry preserves and I get processed artificial raspberry syrup. The malt really hides away and the raspberry is the dominant flavor. The flavor moves from tart to sweet and back, but it still has an industrial taste I just cannot get myself to enjoy.

Mouthfeel: Dry, light bodied, with full, tingling carbonation.

Drinkability: The raspberry flavored plastic they used to make this beer is not doing it any favors. I would pass if given this again. (998 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Two-finger light pink tinted head. Middling retention. Deep ruby color with nice clarity.

S- Light malts and juicy raspberries. Quite subtle scent however.

T- Light ale kind of character. Berries are light in flavor.

M- Medium bodied and carbonated with a thick, chewy finish.

O- Not a fan of this one. I was hoping for more with the berries. (411 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -28%

had this one in the beer temple in amsterdam.
Look: pours a nice red color with some small head
smell: malts and sweet raspberry juice
taste: malts, some light bitter hops, sweet raspberry syrup, doesn't taste like freshly added berries all, like e.g. 3 fonteinen hommage or cantillon framboise
mouthfeel: thin and watery. Medium carb
overall: maybe it is because i expected a wild ale (sour), but this beer is thin,arteficial and overly sweet. Just wonder how it would be if only a bit sourness was present.... (512 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -27.4%

12-ounce bottle with bottled on date clearly notched, poured into a tulip, yields a deep amber body with a slight tinge of red with no head beyond a tiny ring of bubbles.

Smell is fruity, of course, with raspberries right there, but bitter, and buried in malt.

Taste is confusing... the primary flavor component is a hard dry bitterness with an odd yeast note and iodine... tried to figure out if this beer was messed up through handling, or if it just sucked...where's the raspberry?...what the hell's up with that bitter element?...it isn't pleasant, nor hoppy...the fruit is buried in there, but I'm not looking for it any more.

Dumper. Bye-bye. (652 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Smokey maroon-amber with a modest sandstone plug.
Scented of raspberry bran muffins and nothing else.
Starts with a minor graininess that suggests some sort of darker bread, but that quickly becomes an afterthought as a seedy raspberry jelly is smeared all over. That fades too, as this beer disappears even before it leaves the mouth, with just tatters of remaining berries and a general Bartles & James on toast feeling.
Light and fizzy. It's neither overly sweet or cloyingly fruity (which are generally good things), it just has virtually no mouthfeel to speak of.
If this helps finance Old Ruffian then I'm cool with that. Not so much, otherwise. (657 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.1%

Basic beer, with plastic raspberry flavour added. Quite synthetic tasting, somehoppy, not sweet, a chick beer. Nt too gret, thinnish and not finishable. Reddish tinged flavour, with some white head that becomes the lace. A good example of why I do not like fruit beers. (269 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Orangish red, with bright red highlights when held to light. Half finger, slightly pink head with decent retention and good lacing.

S: Very muted smell. Light raspberries. Very light sweet malts, with a touch of caramel.

T: Again very muted. Light sweet raspberries. Some sweet malts. A little metallic taste.

M: Light bodied. Kinda watery. High carbonation. Crisp.

O: Not much going on in this beer. Hardly Amy smell or taste. A big let down from Great Divide. I expect better from them. (530 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -25.4%

Bottle, part of a multi-pack, packaged 2 weeks before opening. Pours nicely, thick head, laced well. Dark color, very reminiscent of raspberries. Unfortunately, I think this is the best part of this beer - the smell is weak, neither raspberries or beer, but a lot like a Mike's Hard Cranberry. The taste was just as unimpressive - a lot like drinking water, and if it wasn't for the slight (and I mean slight) buzz I caught off of it, I'd swear I was drinking a watered down raspberry smoothy.

Great Divide makes some great brews. What happened to this one? (559 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -25.1%

A - A rocky and frothy white head with a tinge of pink to it... Modest retention ultimately gives way to full veil of creamy lace... Very still with no carbonation... Mild ruby red color...

S - Fresh raspberries... Enteman's danish twist... A slight tartness... Sweet, but fairly mild overall... Fairly enticing...

T - The raspberries are far weaker than expected... Some faint wheat notes... A minor metallic tinge... A weird plasticy aftertaste lingers...

M - Ever so slight carbonation on the tongue to begin... Light bodied... Thin and watered down... Devoid of any significant mouthfeel...

D - My first real disappointment from Great Divide... A beer that I wouldn't recommend or seek out in the future... Not terrible, but other than a slightly above average appearance and aroma there is too much to be impressed with as everything else is subpar or worse... (871 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle, from $8.59 six pack at Gold Rush Liquor, Anchorage, AK. States bottled third week of October.

Appearance: pours like soda pop, fizzy and crisp. Visual is bright and brilliant medium red. Pink head is lively at first, then like soda, dissipates rapidly, leaving very light lace. For the style? Decent appearance. But overall? Eh.

Aroma: light fruit, yes, raspberry, sweet sugary malt.

Taste: definite raspberry, with some light sugar and toast, slight metallic. Not huge in any taste area: fruit, or malt, or sugar. Almost no hops noticeable.

Mouth: thin and light and fizzy, essentially alcopop. No alcohol warmth, no real body. What sticks around is fizz.

Overall: uninspired... serviceable if someone wants a light, easy, fizzy drink. I'd drink it if my choices were it or BMC, and even alternate one for one with Anchor Steam, Pyramid Apricot, SNPA, etc. But overall? Bleh. (903 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance
Muddy, rusty brown with a penchant for redder hues. The head is quite tame on this one, it allows you to pour recklessly. Doing so will garner a 2 finger head which will fade with thin lacing.

Aroma
Wet grains and a faded raspberry aroma. There's really not a lot to talk about here aside from a few hits of sterile metal and mushed up raspberries.

Taste
Tonight I drank one of these, had a different beer then went back to this raspberry ale. After coming off of any other beer the raspberry flavor seems much more intense. But, for me, if this is the first beer on the evening the raspberry flavor really only serves to muddle things up. The raspberry flavor is not at all fresh tasting. Its dirtied, muddled and mashed up. The beer's grains throw a wrench in the raspnberries' plans.

Mouthfeel
There is a juice-like stickiness that builds on the palate. Other than that the beer is light, but still heavier and more burdensome that it should be. Thankfully the carbonation stays out of the way.

Overall
Naw dawg, this one is just here to fill up the mixed 12 pack. Drinkable in a pinch, not a drain pour, but if I bought a 6 pack of this I'd be kicking myself. The pale ale was the best of the box. (1,220 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

The beer pours a dark pink, but very clear. Almost an ugly brown to it when you pour it out, or up the light. The head is off white, rises about a finger leaves a foamy head.

The aroma is super light, only the slightest hint of tart raspberries, but not much here at all.

The taset is super light and generic. Can't believe they used real fruit here, seems like just generic additive juice. You do taste a little sweet tart raspberries, but its not an appealing taste.

The feel is light and not drinkable at all.

Overall, this is horrible. Not a true fruit beer. This is generic garbage. (645 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

This is a raspberry brown color with a pinkish tan head. The nose has sweet raspberries up front but also has a nice malty base. The favor is also a good balance between raspberry and some mild malts. Hints of artificial syrup. A light fizzy body fights my mouth a bit. Decent, but pretty light. (295 characters)

Wild Raspberry Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company