Wild Raspberry Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

good

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Raspberry Ale Alström Bros

JHarris1717, May 17, 2012

Stephiep1909, Apr 10, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -61.8%

I drank this side by side with a bottle of New Belgium Frambozen to compare CO fruit beers. Sadly, this brew didn't match up well.

Pours a clear berry red. Some head that dissipates quickly and little sign of carbonation. Raspberry is the dominant smell.

As soon as I had a swig, I knew that this was going to be hard to stomach. The raspberry flavor is strong at first and dissipates quickly. What's left doesn't have much distinguishable flavor and has an unfortunately slimey mouthfeel. The medium body is easy to drink and what I can say for this is that the fruit flavor isn't offensive one way or the other. My major critique here is that there's not much to like about this beer beyond that initial hint of raspberry.

Pass this one up and try one of Great Divide's other, tasty beverages.

benito, Oct 31, 2005
1.4/5  rDev -60.3%

1/2 beer, 1/2 a-fizzing! I have to wait for this supercarbonater to rest nearly a full minute before I can turn up the bottle and empty its contents. The liquid came out with a cherry red tinge but in its Carolina Brewery pint glass container, it looks much like a highly carbonated (muddy) brown. Even as I add the last eighth, the fizz again creeps back to bulge out of the glass.

It's difficult to smell anything past the thick layer of foam that remains. It's sad that raspberry doesn't permeate my olfactory lobe. The smell is hardly distinctive, and that's a problem for a fruit beer.

The taste is overwhelmingly malty. I'm thinking something might be wrong with this one. It tastes stale. Bottled the third week in April (though I can't specify the year), I'm thinking this beer might just suck. I love fruit beers (I thought), and this one just doesn't do them justice. The label calls it "a beer lover's fruit beer." Quite frankly, I'm appalled. I notice further from the label it's fermented with red and BLACK raspberries. Without knowing anything about the intricacies of fruits, I'm thinking that this beer is more black raspberries...and that's not a good thing. It's overly malted and/or black raspberried out--hardly worth sipping.

Mouthfeel, like everything else, is disappointing. What do you do when you struggle to detect fruit in a fruit beer? It's not as if it's overwhelmed by alcohol like a Fort; instead, it's like a macrobrewed fruit fiasco. A beer trying to be something...and failing.

I typically love to throw in fruit beers at the end of tastings to provide something sweet for the palate. This one, unfortunately, is not worth existing. I really think Great Divide should rid this from its repertoire.

marvin213, Jun 01, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

leftoverburrito, May 08, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -53.8%

Poured into a 16oz Pint Glass

Appearance - Dark Red in color with a very good amount of haze. Pours a 2 finger head that is slightly pink in color, something which is a first for me. Isn't too much as far as lacing is concerned.

Smell - Raspberry smell with some very sour notes to it and it's pretty powerful too. You really have to look deep to find some malty notes, but for the most part, it's all raspberries. I'm not quite so fond of the smell

Taste - Raspberries with some sour & malty notes. While it's not as sour as the smell makes it out to be, it still comes off a bit on the sour side for my tastes. The raspberry flavor isn't really all that sweet, and it gives the beer more of a grassy sort of flavor. The malty notes here are okay but the flavor does come off as quite offensive in terms of how sour it is. Aftertaste is a bittersweet raspberry and barley flavor.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light in body, and the carbonation isn't too powerful either. However, the sourness does to get in the way when trying to enjoy this beer and hampering the overall feel on the palette

Overall - This is an example of a novelty beer. It's a beer that people will either love or hate. Sadly, this would be a beer that I would avoid because the flavor comes off as sour and the raspberry flavor comes off as more bland than it does sweet.

NuclearDolphin, Dec 25, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

Aroma: I was struck even before pouring by the strong raspberry aroma of this beer. It is sweet, and it had a faint wheaty character, giving it a jam-on-toast quality.

Appearance: A beautiful red color, reminiscent of fruit juice. It pours with a good head, that is nicely tinged with red, which dissipates quickly.

Taste: Surgary sweet and tasting strongly of raspberry, the taste this beer did not hold up on the promise of the aroma and appearance. I found the raspberry overpowering to the point of making the beer a chore to drink.

Mouthfeel: Thin without being watery, combined with a pleasant crispness give this beer a fine mouthfeel.

Overall, this beer lost me on taste. I love raspberries, but the strength of the raspberry flavor in this beer was too much. Combined with the cloying sweetness, I was hard pressed to find any other flavor.

JLShepard, Jan 27, 2005
1.98/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep purply-red from the bottle with a finger of effervescent white head. Smell is a little tart and reminds me of soda. Taste has a faint fruit note, and I can buy that it's raspberries. As far as beer goes, however, you could have told me I was drinking flavored water, and I would have believed it. Flavor and mouthfeel are weak and watery to the point that this reminded me a lot of Perrier mineral water. This is a drinkable beer, but it's not satisfying.

Riccymon, Aug 23, 2009

mfield14, Jan 18, 2013

Jspriest, Nov 14, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured from a bottle into an English pub (real) pint glass on 08/19/2010.

Appearance: Dark red colour, relatively low carbonation. Three finger head dies down to nothing within four minutes.

Smell: A sort of rank scent - an off-smell, not inviting. It's fruity, but artificial.

Taste: Like raspberry soda with an overly sweet finish. No bold flavors. The beer is one note of raspberry throughout, unbalanced. This beer doesn't succeed as a fruit beer, much less a beer in general - it's more of a candied soda.

Mouthfeel: A light, thin mouthfeel that slowly fades. It's almost fizzy. Not pleasant, but not revolting.

Drinkability: Easily consumed, but leaves one wanting for a real beer. I'd pass this one over in the future - there are far better fruit beers out there.

kojevergas, Aug 19, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Poured chilled in flared glass.

A: dark reddish copper; flat head; strong carb; not much lacing
S: strong raspberry aroma, very inviting; occludes other smells
T: expected sweet--it isn't; the raspberry dominates, but it's quite sour, draped over a wheat-beer-like base; I must confess, this tasted terrible to me; it tasted like nothing else I've had, so I don't think this is something against the genre
M: good carbonation redeems the experience a bit

Overall, a terrible beer, for me.

Arithmeticus, Sep 09, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

A - Pale red, like strawberry juice, a touch of lacing, constant head, though it is small.

S - Almost exactly like Turkey Hill raspberry iced tea.

T - Tastes like a raspberry seltzer water. No aftertaste. Very little flavor here and what is here isn't really worth drinking.

M - Harsh from carbonation, thin, pretty refreshing, a little drying from the high carbonation though.

D - Well, it is easy to drink, but it has little character and not a single characteristic I would expect from beer. Really not worth having even when it is free. Could serve as one of those beers for someone who doesn't like any beers in general.

mrasskicktastic, Mar 16, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Bottled on: Dec 04 2008. The body was a rich amber-red grape color. Clear of sediment with a mild white head that faded quickly.

Smell was raspberry. Stale grain. A little like a wet puppy. Not especially enticing.

Taste was sweet and lightly tart. This one left an unpleasant after-taste. This is a strange beer.

Mouthfeel was only minimally carbonated. Medium in body.

Cresant, Apr 18, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

ajtorres311, May 01, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Jade, Jun 21, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: 09AUG11

A: Pours a reddened amber ale with a falling off-white head that falls to a central cap with no support. A bit hazy with no lacing.

S: Raspberry with a simple amber like backbone. More raspy when first opened, and this smell dies quickly.

T: Tastes of woody, oxidized ale with a nice raspberry aromatic tone. Nothing special here.

M: Light body with hi carb and a semi dry finish.

O: Meh. Last one I purchase.

harrymel, Sep 16, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

Done in a horizontal tasting with Thirsty Dog Raspberry Ale and Founders Rubeas(from notes).

Eye: Very clear and cranberry juice in color. Rocky pinkish white tainted head. Lacing looks to be somewhat decent and retention is stable at about 1/2 a finger. Looks lively with carbonation.

Nose: Not much raspberry in aroma but I dote a good malt nose. Raspberry is there but in small amounts, it took me a minute to find and I only found it because I was actively looking for it. Some wheat and lightly toasted malts in here. Smells much more like beer than the Thirsty Dog(which smelled quite a bit more like a wine cooler..but hey thats fruit beer for you!). Nice malt backbone, maybe some caramel or extremely lightly kilned crystal malt. In my opinion, for a fruit beer, this needs more raspberry.

Tongue: To be honest I'm having a hard timefinding the raspberry here. I' get much more of the malt flavor than I do the fruit. Toasty, a bit dry, and some light crystal...wheat too. In reality theres just not all that much here, I think that this one pretty much fails as a fruit beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light in the mouth, with just about nothing. There is nothing redeeming about the way this beer feels or drinks. I will not come back to this beer. Infact, I am sorry that I spent money on this one.

More beer than fruit,(and in a fruit beer, I'm not really looking for that; I'm looking for something that could be "fufu" if you catch my drift)

becktone, May 24, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Something is wrong here. I see previous reviews that look upon this beer favorably. I mean it wasn't bad, but....
Pours like Coca-Cola, brownish red and NO head retention. None. Nada. Have you ever had Sprite?
Slightly raspberry smell with a wheat textured background.
Is this a fruit beer? All I can taste is club soda with a dash of grenadine and maybe a little roast on the back of the tongue(strange).
So damned fizzy, that I can hardly taste a thing. Does not live up to it's reputation. Perhaps a bad bottle?
Actually light enough that it is relatively drinkable, although not worth the money.
I can barely taste the "hundreds of pounds of black and red raspberries" that they claim to have fermented this beer with.

nortmand, Oct 05, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This looks like what I would expect out of a raspberry beer. A dark, blood red or ruby color with tints of brown. A quick foamy off-white head forms out of the bottle and fades quickly. The bubbles audibly pop and disappear. No lacing.

Smell: Raspberry syrup, tart raspberries, some light bready malt.

Taste: I have the same issue with this as I have had with other raspberry beers in the past - the raspberry flavor just comes across too synthetic to really be enjoyable. I want raspberry preserves and I get processed artificial raspberry syrup. The malt really hides away and the raspberry is the dominant flavor. The flavor moves from tart to sweet and back, but it still has an industrial taste I just cannot get myself to enjoy.

Mouthfeel: Dry, light bodied, with full, tingling carbonation.

Drinkability: The raspberry flavored plastic they used to make this beer is not doing it any favors. I would pass if given this again.

KickInTheChalice, Jan 26, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -32%

On tap at Great Divide. Pours a nice red color. Nose has a good dose of berries. Flavor is full of berries and not too much else. A bit boring.

Thorpe429, Jan 09, 2013
2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

had this one in the beer temple in amsterdam.
Look: pours a nice red color with some small head
smell: malts and sweet raspberry juice
taste: malts, some light bitter hops, sweet raspberry syrup, doesn't taste like freshly added berries all, like e.g. 3 fonteinen hommage or cantillon framboise
mouthfeel: thin and watery. Medium carb
overall: maybe it is because i expected a wild ale (sour), but this beer is thin,arteficial and overly sweet. Just wonder how it would be if only a bit sourness was present....

rvdoorn, Jul 03, 2011
2.49/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Two-finger light pink tinted head. Middling retention. Deep ruby color with nice clarity.

S- Light malts and juicy raspberries. Quite subtle scent however.

T- Light ale kind of character. Berries are light in flavor.

M- Medium bodied and carbonated with a thick, chewy finish.

O- Not a fan of this one. I was hoping for more with the berries.

Murrhey, Feb 09, 2013