Denver Pale Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Denver Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 581 | Hads: 1,282
4.69/5  rDev +26.4%

Poured into a standard American pint.

At first glance, this isn't all that different than your standard APA. It's a nice amber color, but nothing overly glowing. Has a clean, white 1 finger head after the pour, but it doesn't stick around for very long. The appearance is the only thing that I find average on this beer. The smell holds little back: sweet, earthy hops right up front, but the malts get in there too. The same could be said for that first swig of it: more hops than it would lead you to believe right up front, but a really nice malty backbone that a lot of beers with this much hops seem to leave out. In fact, the balance on this one is really spot-on. The mouthfeel is a little thicker than your typical pale, with medium, foamy carbonation, but this beer is really very drinkable. I think the mouthfeel is really where it excels. Overall, this is my favorite standard pale ale. The 5.4% is hard to believe from a beer that packs this much hoppiness, but I don't think there's much that could get better about it. A staple in my fridge. (1,056 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.6%

This is a wonderful Pale Ale. I really enjoy toasty malt flavors in pales and this one has it goin for it. Great biscuity flavor backed by a great earthy hop presence. I think this is a extremely high quality Pale Ale and would recommend it time and again. (256 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%

Re-rate 6-18-06: Obviously a much different beer than prior, now that infection control is under way. The nose is wonderfully hoppy and sweet with some grain husk and substantial malt underneath it all. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth with a medium body and mild-mod. carbonation. The hops are full, green, sweet and slightly pungent, and the finish is clean and crisp and hoppy. Cleanly fermented. No off-flavors. This time around, this is a world-class APA. I could drink this all day...kinda like a timid cousin of Stone IPA in it's hop flavor. A wonderful brew, highly recommended and inifinitely drinkable. (612 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a orange/amber/tan color, the hues slightly remind me of the look of a marzen. The head is about 3/4 of an inch an has pretty good retention. Carbonation is visible. This is truly a visually appealing beer. Smell is of toffee, grainy malts, and citrus hops. The taste emphasizes the malts, but it still doesn't seem disproportionally flavored to me. The taste starts with a caramel sweetness them gets a mottled more toasty. A slight bitterness is imparted by the citric hops. Mouthfeel is good, feels satisfyingly thick, often other pale ales feel a little weak in this dept to me. I really enjoyed this, I'd love to get my hands on more of it to drink as an everyday sort of beer. (688 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +23.5%

This came in a brown bottle blue label "DPA" that I took out of a 6-pack.
the pour on this was sensational..huge thick foam rushed to the top of the glass threatening to overrun...then settled into a beautiful meringue like head that actually had stiff peaks! retained fluffy head all the way through..cloudy golden/amber hue.
smell was also impressive floral hops and whiffs of dark fruit.
big bouquet of hops hit up front on the taste..mellows to a carmel malt taste, then finishes with some dry hoppiness...
mouthfeel was a bit chewy..but only slightly so....
drinkability was very fine, I am not usually a big fan of these type beers, but this one is well crafted and might start makin me look for more like this, I wish now I had bought the whole 6-pack..damn....good stuff! (780 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

I'm not a big hop head and that is probably why I really like this beer.

This APA has a wonderful copper color with a decent head and some long lasting lacing on my old Pete's pint glass.

The smell is of hops and that's it. Although it is not an overpowering aroma.

The taste is exceptionally balanced with the hops present throughout the drinking experience, letting some malt character through from time to time and just the right amount of bitterness on the end.

For me, this is truly an exceptional brew. (512 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +22.4%

A very nice pungent citrus floral smell from the hops. Its like a sweet citrus fruit and its quite an amazing smell for a Pale Ale. Definitely not your typical aroma. The taste is very smooth, rich and creamy body with a cereal, bready malt sweetness. It then ends with the fruity citrus hops at the end with just a bit of a lasting hop bitterness.

This beer is so well balanced and definitely my favorite English Pale Ale. The nice pungent citrus, fruity hop smell made me think it'd be bitter but its less bitter than all the well crafted American Pale Ale's but has all that hop flavor. The hop flavor plus the body and mouthfeel of this beer makes it a unique pale ale amongst the sea of pale ales.

Its so easy to drink and matches up so nicely with the best of the best beers out there. Great Divide is such a top notch brewery even their Pale ale is a winner. Good beer from Colorado. (893 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +21%

I don't understand why the scores for this brew aren't higher. This is a smooth, tasty pale ale. It looks good, smells delightful, tastes good and feels quite pleasureable on the palate. I forsee no problems if trying to down a six pack and wanting to have plenty of the stuff in the fridge.
Well balanced... I already said smooth but it merits repeating...
Frankly, I'm not a big fan of pale ales but this one is very, very nice. (432 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured into my pint glass. Slightly hazy golden color with a thick viscous white heading .Left lacing all throughout the tasting.

Smell is mostly of soggy bread with a slight gingery-spice aroma. Subtle aroma of hop to clean thing's up.

Taste is clearly pronounced with hops. This one was shocking as I was getting a big aroma of malty goodness in the nose this taste's mostly of bitter hoppies.The malts have taken a backseat and finished up with a spicey twang.

Mouth is very smooth,crisp and bitter on the palate. MEdium bodied and very alive and tingling on the palate. Excellent carbonation in which you can swirl and swirl and it never goes flat.

An excellent pale ale and I must add this to my list of must have beers. (729 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Brilliant gold to amber under a 2” sudsy white foam collar that produces Belgian window lace.
S: malt, earthy hops, slight fruit.
T: Starts with sweet malt and segues into a lingering hop finish – the finish is a combination of malt and hops
F: Smooth, creamy, refreshing, medium light body, medium high carbonation.
O: very drinkable, well balanced American pale Ale that starts with a burst of malt and finishes with a nice array of hop flavors (456 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +20.2%

Had this in the variety box I picked up a couple of hours ago.
A - Amber yellow in color with cool lacing head
S - grain Malt and citrus hops to nose smells great.
T - Very smooth pale ale. Slight hops and malts blended nicely
M - on the palate damn good pale ale
D - will stumble upon this again. Must track down the yeti. (323 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an Irish Style Pint

A - Pours a slightly hazy bright orange color, with medium effervescence. Generates an off white 2 1/2 to 3 finger soapy head that disapates down to a half finger head that sticks around. Leaves great lacing on the glass.

S - Smells more like a West Coast IPA than a Pale Ale. Lots of cirtus and floral hops in the nose, with some nice malt as well.

T - Tastes more so like an IPA than a Pale Ale too. Very cirtusy, with a nice crisp hop bite on the back end. Hops linger for a little while, but nothing like a full fledged IPA. Very juicy-like taste. Kinda like if you bit strait into a grapefruit, you get that bitter juciy quality. This beer is just like that. Very very tastey.

M - Now I am not going into the beer blind, for I have had 5 before this last one. But, the first 5 were consumed from a red solo cup, and I must say that the mouth feel was much much softer from the red cup. But be that as it may, this time around, the mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. Its definitely not thin and watery, but definitely not as soft, and it doesnt dance on you tongue as much as from a solo cup. Strange huh?

D - Taking into accounnt the complexity of this beer, the drinkability is extremely high. The first night picked this beer up I drank 5 in a row at a party and felt great. Therefore, I would deem this beer a very tasty session beer. (1,387 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

Now I really do not believe this one was never tried by me, but there are actually still a couple Great Divides I need to get my hands on. This one was going to go down on tap though so that will make it even sweeter. Poured very nice hazy yellowish tinted amber with a more then ample two inch plus foamy and sticky head on top. This faded reluctantly down to just a small thin film across the top and that pretty much stayed the entire time. Now there was a good amount of side glass lace present here and this had a really nice effect of the look of this. I know it was a pale ale, but it was really starting to look like an IPA. Smell was very hopped, but also nice and light. Very nice blend of floral hops and light grassy grains. The flavor was very similar to this as well. A very nice hopped up front greeted you right away and was quickly followed up by the nice and almost a touch of sweet grain like back to it. Long drawn out dry finish left a really nice taste and follow through. The feel was great. Lots of carbonation really helping to push it along and lighten it up nicely. Absolutely great session ale, something that could have gone on and on and it would have been no worry to me at all. I really liked this one overall; I thought it was a fine example of a big hopped west coast pale ale. Something that was light enough to get let you put down a couple, while at the same time, really had a nice touch of floral, bitter hops to it. I would definitely recommend this one and will have to go pick some up; this could become a staple of the house very easily. Just seemed like the perfect session ale. (1,622 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

a - poured a three-fingers thick tan, bubbly and fizzy head into a tumbler that left a nice ring and lace throughout. the body was a clear and bright amber color.
s - grass hops and caramel malts.
t - big caramel malt front with nice hop backbone.
m - creamy and medium on the tongue.
d - highly drinkable. this is what an EPA should be and is an incredible session beer. (371 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

This is a very good pale ale, one of the best I've had in a while. Pours a nice light amber color with a nice head that stays because of the white lacing it leaves. Lots of hop aroma right up front. Can't detect any kind of malt aroma from the aroma. Tastes great. Hop flavor explodes in the mouth with a lot of citrus flavors a hint of earthy pine, a smooth malt middle ground and finishes with a slight bitterness. Very well balanced. Very good beer. I could drink this one all night long, just over all a solid beer.

Good job. B+ (536 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

A) Pours with an active, frothy head. Bronze in color, with some sediment.
S) Floral hop aroma with notes of peach, apricot and citrus fruit.
T) Very sweet, malty nose. Slight peach flavor, a minimal bitterness.
M) Smooth, mildly creamy. Some crispness.
D) Everyday DPA! I realize that my rating will be above the norm, but this was a delicious pale ale. Well crafted. (368 characters)

Bottled November 2004, Sampled January 2005
Pours a brilliantly clear full copper color, it is topped by a light amber tan head with a fairly low level of carbonation. The aroma is sweet with caramel malts and hopily spiced with notes of tangerine, apricot, and oranges, and a nice fruity flower nectar type thing. The taste is quite well balanced. This beer is not quite sweet yet quite fruity & hoppy. It is very well balanced with a complimenting malty caramel note that accentuates the hops. This beer reminds me of candied orange peels, spruce tips. The hops nearly dance across my tongue with spicy herbal notes of pine and a nice bitterness that moves from the middle of my tongue to the back of my mouth as this beer passes down my gullet. This is just a really nicely made Pale Ale, it is actually even better than the IPA and IIPA from this brewery. (860 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +18.9%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz brown bottle with bottle date of Aug 26 '09.

A: Bright, clear copper color with off-white head and lacing.

S: Sweet and flowery hop aroma, some fruity malt scents.

T&M: Very smooth with a sweet hop and malt flavor. Mild hop bitterness that finishes with a slightly sweet malt fruitiness. Dry finish.

Great pale ale! (376 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

It's nice and clear. Light orange.

The taste is hoppy, but not medicine

It has a very clean, even smell. I can't place it, though.

This is the first IPA that I've ever liked. I can't believe

The mouthfeel is very creamy and even. I really like it.

Although I liked it, it's still slightly too bitter for my tastes. (320 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Brilliant copper color with a rocky tan head. Smells like sweet malt and flowers. Very clean aroma. Taste is malty but not cloying, bitter but not bracing. Hops are mostly spicy and clean, with a little American resin in the finish. Malt is sweet and aromatic, but evaporates with hop bitterness for a dry and refreshing finish. Yeast produces some significant English fruit flavors, but is a much-cleaned up version of anything you'd find coming out of Burton. Body is on the thicker side of most 5% beers, but the caramel malts are kept in check so that the finish is simply spicy and aromatic rather than sweet and cloying.

The contradictions in this beer place it very high on the list of most-drinkable beers. (715 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Ah, after all the hop bombs I've tried in the past few months, it's great to have something a tad more low key and drinkable. Pours a nice medium copper with a nice head that sticks around. Aroma is grassy with biscuity malts, not hoppy at all. Taste is very well balanced with a slight hint of malt chocolate in there. Taste is refreshing, with a nice dry bitter aftertaste. This would be a great session beer, it reminds me of some old English ales I have had in the past. Good stuff. (486 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

I think Great Divide has the worst looking bottles. They should let me redesign them. That is really the only compalint with this beer. I see that it is listed as an english pale ale but i belive it to be much closer to the American version. I can't be certain which type of hops they use but I would guess cascade or something similar. Pours a clear gold color with a decent head. Nice aroma with citrus hop and malt balance. Taste is equal to smell very nice. The balancing act is perfect. I don't think you can find a better mouthfeel in a beer. (548 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Maybe it’s cause I’ve been storing this bottle of Great Divide Pale Ale sideways for a few months, but it drops a lot of sediment into an otherwise beautiful beer. A 2 finger compact off-white head is the finishing touch on the clear bronze beer below.

Smell is perfect for a pale ale. Just perfect. Floral “English” hops and sweet caramel malts, neither overpowering the other – what’s not to like?

Taste is a mellow, clean malt / hop combo, wonderfully balanced. I keep thinking it’s English, but then I change my mind. Whatever this really is, it’s quite tasty. Finishes dry and bitter, but very smooth. I drank this one absurdly fast and only afterwards did I realize I had taken but a few sparse notes. Guess it’s a winner, then!

Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, goes down super easy and leaves a nice lingering bitter leafy hop aftertaste in the bargain.

This may be the best pale ale I've ever had. It’s simple and fresh tasting and eminently drinkable. I could enjoy another immediately. Great Divide knocked this one out of the park in my opinion. Try it! (1,084 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice deep gold color with a touch of red, a little head but nice lacing. Smells fruity with a slight hop smell. Taste is smooth without any bitterness. Good hop taste, slight fruit and honey in there as well.

Overall a very good beer that I would gladly have again. (274 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

The beer pours a light amber color, clear, with a tight white head. Its a nice color, but it definitely doesn't look like a "pale" ale. (I guess its time I learn that "pale" refers more to the style than the color.)

Smell is, in a word, AWESOME. It smells like warm white bread coming out of an oven- yeasty, doughy, with a malt back. I get no hop smell, but I don't care.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, wet. Moderate to light carbonation on the tongue.

Taste- Yup, same as the smell, which is to say AWESOME. You get the taste of warm, freshly baked white bread, followed by some maltiness, then a moderate hop bitter finish, and its all in perfect balance. Its amazing. Its refreshing. Its comforting. Its super satisfying and thirst quenching. (745 characters)

Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company