Denver Pale Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

good

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Denver Pale Ale Alström Bros

1.68/5  rDev -54.6%

Appearance: This beer poured a clear amber that had just enough red highlights to be called copper colored. The off-white head rose up to two fingers easily. It lingered quite awhile, slowly dissipating and becoming dense and fluffly. As it sank back into the beer, it clung heavily to the side of the glass. There was some light lacing left behind as I drank.

Smell: A base of sweet and roasted malts provided a backdrop for the pungent hops. They were sour smelling and reminded me of vegetables that have just started to rot. That thick, sickly sweet pungent smell. That was it, really.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and thin feeling, to the point of being watery.

Taste: The hops provided a brash, muddled bitterness that had no depth. It was like a thin, fragile, scratchy skin of hops that covered . . . well, nothing. There was no malt presence underneath to back it up. Just dry, harsh, and ugly. Oddly, the aftertaste reminded me of stale cigarettes. It was like I was drinking out of an old ashtray. I have no clue where this flavor came from nor do I care to find out.

At least it looked good . . . as it went down the drain. One of only a few drain pours for me.

2.23/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours a clear amber-gold, topped with a thin off-white filmy head, leaves thing rings of lacing.
Light aroma, citrus, herb and bread.
Bready and citrus notes make up what taste there is, some slight piney bittering hops but it could use a lot more.
Medium bodied. The appearance is too light, the aroma is too light, the taste is too light and the bitterness is too low.

2.24/5  rDev -39.5%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Let's hope our Colorado brethren don't start clamoring for a new style, the DPA... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear amber topped by a finger of lightly off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises earthy and spicy greens, light leek, cilantro, mustard seed, and peat moss. ...Didn't see that coming, like a surprise roundhouse from JCVD. The taste is mostly a blast of spicy and salty greens (think a salad of cilantro, chive, parsley, and spinach, all drizzled with a chlorinated peppercorn dressing), though there is a backbone of mild biscuit trying desperately to bring things back to reality. No avail, I'm afraid. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, this is a strange and downright unpleasant (or, if I'm not being so euphemistically-inclined, nasty) beer. It's touted as a balanced and mild English-style pale ale, but it comes across as an oddly spicy and salty mess. I thought I got a bad bottle, but, upon talking with others who have had it from the source (on tap in the Rockies), it's clear this stuff is just plain awful.

2.3/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a medium copper color, pretty standard looking, except for the ridiculously large head, about 1" in an American pint glass. Served at about cellar temp. floral hops and bready malt in the nose. Taste is very malty, with good hop presence, but is utterly ruined by a melted plastic flavor that i have not encountered from an APA for a very long time. Disappointing, this might be a bad batch, will rereview later on if I get the chance.

2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an English pint glass.

A: Copper colored body, barely off-white head, 1" thick, reduces with significant lacing. Orange undertones come out when held up to light.

S: Phenolic scents, citrus and sage. It honestly doesn't smell particularly appetizing, sort of like rubbing alcohol and Yankee Candle's Sage & Citrus car air freshener.

T: Gah. I'm seriously disappointed. This brewery has some good stuff, but this is not one I'll be buying again. Sanitizer and alcohol meets a soapy mixture of indiscernible hop flavors. Really, really not very good at all. Some nice notes of citrus midway through, but not enough to save it. Dries out at the end, daring you to take another sip. At least it tastes clean.

M: It would be light and refreshing, except for some really horrid flavors.

D: It would be really, really drinkable, but the darn thing has a really soapy quality to it that I can't endure. This is the first glass of beer in a while that I just couldn't finish.

I really want to give this beer a fair shake. I'm trying not to punish it for tasting like soap. I'm really not.

2.42/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle dated March 26, 2011.

A-Pours a clear gold with a somewhat vigorous pour producing a small head that faded fast and left a few wisps of lace.

S-A strong, somewhat sour, yeast like aroma that is not too pleasant seems to dominate. No hops to speak of in the nose. I'd think this was well past its prime if the bottle on date didn't say it was less than one month old. Another deep whiff...no hops. Cereal grains and caramel malt are there.

T-A slightly sour taste is most prevalent. I'd think this beer was skunked if it didn't come from a reputable store that stores their beer properly. That same sour yeast from the nose is here as well. Still, no hops to speak of. Caramel malt and a cereal type flavor are present though. Not impressive.

M-Medium body, somewhat crisp carb bite.

O-That sour aroma and taste make this one tough to get down. I have to say I am greatly surprised by this one. Normally GD beers can be counted on for quality. I'll have to buy this one again and revisit it, maybe it was a bad bottle.

2.42/5  rDev -34.6%

I love great divide, and will try anything of theirs once. My buddy warned against this one though. Shoulda listened. The belgian ipa they just came out with had this weird, pungeant flavor and smell that I cant' put my finger on. Absolutely hated it. This beer has a little bit of the same thing. I really dont' like that taste and smell. It might be a hop bitterness that I dont' like. I'd have to study the recipe to know for sure. The mouthfeel was pretty good, but nothing makes up for the way this beer tastes and smells. Not one I'll ever try again. I'll drink yheti and the other line by the gallon though!

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. Light amber color with minute head. Hops aroma that was difficult to detect. This seemed watered-down and nothing special to me. I like more hops in my APAs.

2.48/5  rDev -33%

One finger off-white head over an almost clear bright copper with one finger of light tan head. Smell is mild all around.

Tastes weedy hops. Gentle citrus and chalky. Oxidized. Stale cheesy hops with some tettnagner gritty. Sweet is presnet but way underneath the hops. Not so good, IMO. Light body and moderate carbonation.

Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company