Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,944

My favorite DIPA by a country mile. Superb mouthfeel, dark/amber color. Hoppy but not overpowering as evidenced by the 85 IBU rating. 10% IBV has a nice kick.

Near perfection.

a= Pours a copper orange hue with some haziness
thin white head

s= The smell is very sweet, orange citrus honeysuckle sweet flower aroma.

t= refreshing, and crisp on the palate leads up to the toasted malt which gives way to the intense hoppiness a little zip zap zing that i love dry-sweet hop eruption.

m= The mouth is left somewhat spectacular, but not overly dry, very smooth throughout. outstanding

dynamite drinkable brew.

Updated review: 07-14-2015

I'm not sure if it's the fact that I broke my squat 5RM, I'm not sure if it's the fact that I went directly to the store after the gym to buy some groceries, and I'm not sure if it's the fact that WinCo in Southern California of all fucking places had Hercules Double IPA that was bottled two weeks ago for $7 a bomber but I know for a fact that what I just drank was magical. I felt like Hercules after the gym and I still feel like Hercules after drinking this beer.

Pours an opaque golden brown color. It's a very pretty beer, like goddamn. The smell does not live up to the taste, if anything the smell is this beers weakest point. The taste, my goodness the taste. An initial modest toasty malt flavor that is immediately overpowered by a Ronnie Coleman made of hops. Starts nice, ends bitter. This is a thick DIPA, it definitely lives up the name of Hercules with a whopping 10% ABV and a hop forward taste. This is in my top 5 favorite DIPAs. This beer is excellent and is very deserving of the world class rating.

Recommended to me at my favorite Lawrence, KS bottle shop - MASS Beverage.

From a 22 oz. brown bomber. Pours out a brilliant clear russet copper (think amber), just the right amount of carbonation, thick creamy, spongy head with a whipped cream texture and an unfaltering retention. left a resiny web on my glass as I drank it down Gorgeous looking stuff.

The nose is fantastic, not overly intense, but rather a perfect balance. Tangerine and ruby red grapefruit from the hops, followed at a distance by some sticky pine, and held up by a chewy, almost candy-like malt sweetness.

GREAT balance in the flavor as well. Hops are let loose from the beginning, but almost equally matched with the malt, a smooth blending.
Biscuity and light caramel malt, creamy texture, slow rising of orange citrus in the middle along with some floral hops, building to a contained finish of pine and grapefruit rind, it really only starts ripping the tongue and palate in the aftertaste, then instantly, and gently the perfect amount of malty sweetness creeps in to temper the bite.

Creamy, silky smooth mouthfeel. To me this is what I want in a beer! just bold enough that the smallest sip caresses every single taste bud you have! Leaving you with the faintest of trace stickiness well into the aftertaste, but slick enough it make you instantly reach for another sip to reinforce your previous impression.

One of the smoothest and most balanced DIPA's I've ever had. Almost no trace of alcohol content in the flavor whatsoever, it only really sinks in about half way through the bottle. This brew REALLY met my lofty expectations!

*my only perfect score in 2 years*

The perfect D.I.P.A. pours a nice pale "ruby red" color with decent head, smells a little earthy with a strong aroma of grapefruit (assembly citra hops) tastes nice and smooth, with a strong aftertaste of grapefruit peels...one of the best tasting double IPA's I've had for sure, will buy again...and reccomend strongly...

A nice strong beer and one can taste it. A lighter body it seems than some other American Double style beers. More carbonation if one will, than some other American doubles. A strong, crisp opening taste, that is sort of light and "high" if one will, like a cresting wave at the onset, which dissolves into a sort of pleasing aftertaste that embellishes upon the beers hoppy-ness. The smell of the beer is also quite pleasing, and perhaps more "fresh" than one might be accustomed to in American Doubles.

This is an excellent beer in my opinion. I love the taste of this one, and the hops are outstanding. The abv will get you if you're not careful. Hercules is definitely worth a try.

There are plenty of advanced reviews on this beer if you want to learn more.

Thanks to BroJohn for lugging this all the way to Japan.

A - Clear amber body with tight white head.
S - Lemon, orange zest and othe citrus aromas.
T - Tight juicy orange pureness. The malt seems to be the sturdy hub which keeps the alcohol and bitterness in alignment. Crisp, the malty sweetness is there, but is tightly wrapped into the rest of the beer.
M - Mild integration, alcohol is well balanced
D - This beer is blessed with huge bitterness, but it is well integrated with the rest of the beer.

The icon. The measuring stick. The ideal to which all DIPAs must be compared. Balance, balance, balance. Hoppy, malty, yeasty, an aroma to die for. I hate the funkiness of Simcoe hops - none apparent here. I don't care for the onion / garlic overtones of Summit hops - none apparent here. What's here is an intense hop profile with 10% ABV that's so earthy, so balanced, so nuanced, that you really have to exercise some restraint to not forget what a kick in he backside you're enjoying. I've never had Heady Topper or either of the Plinys - they're on my "Ice Bucket" List. I'll try them when I get the chance but I'll be shocked, really shocked, if they measure up to Hercules, according to my palate. This is as good as it gets.

This was poured from a 22 oz. bomber, leaving a 2 inch head subsiding to an inch by halfway down and a 1/2 inch the rest of the way, leaving a thick lacing all the way. Color - this was a hazy orange -copper - the expected IPA color. Aroma - pine and citrus hops, smellable at arms length away, with a mildly sweet malt note at closer range. Taste - delivered exactly what the aroma promised -a delightfully bitter hop bite of pine and grapefruit with a caramelly malt backbone that was just right- not too sweet - perfectly complimenting the hops, and then finished wtih more pleasing pine and citrus bitterness. No alcohol taste at all to interfere with flavor- in spite of the high ABV - just flavor; amazing!
Smooth and full mouthfeel- excellent!! I found this to be entirely drinkable, in spite of high abv, just will have to be conscientious of it and practice restraint when enjoying what has become one of my favorites! Excellent brew !!

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

I'm sitting in Great Divide Brewery in Denver, CO as I write this. This beer is exceptional. I was expecting it to have a really thick hop bitterness, but it actually goes down very easy. This beer is amazing! I've always enjoyed Great Divide, but visiting here has made this beer even better. Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow! I had this beer on tap at the brewery yesterday. I am not sure if it is was due to its freshness right from the source, its exceptional craft or both but it was one of the best Imperial IPAs that I have had to date.

The most striking aspect of this IPA was the aromas. I was amazed by the amount floral, citris, hoppiness coming out of the glass. Amazing aroma!

The taste did not disappoint. It is a well balanced Imperial IPA with tons of citris and florals. There must be a very thoughtful blend of hops going on here. The server was not forthcoming with the hop varieties in use. (I don't blame her.)

All in all this is an exceptional brew. Hop heads will be very pleased!

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Reddish orange with a small white head. Laces great, retention really good.

S: Pretty grapefruity with heavy hop aroma. Smells really tangy like you just cut a grapefruit. Awesome.

T: Hops are so good. Grapefruit flavor is more subdued than in the smell. Malt flavor backs this one nicely with a sweet toasted flavor. Heavily bitter on the swallow.

M: Perfect - medium astringency, perfect carbonation. Medium-bodied.

D: Drinks like a charm. I'll have to get more.

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

This is easily one of the best IPAs I have ever had. I like IPAs that punch you in the mouth with hops. This definitely fits the bill. I also like high ABV IPAs, which also is a fit here.

It pours a nice amber color and has very little head. It smells very hoppy and the 10% ABV is completely hidden in the flavor.

Though different, this compares very favorably to Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA, another IPA that I think is an absolute classic.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours anice cloudy amber/orange. Aroma of hops (of course) with a slight floral and malt scent. Very impressed with this IPA. Although very hoopy, there is a nice balance of slight sweetness that rounds out this beer. Highly reccomended for hop heads.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

22oz bomber into snifter glass.

Deep crystal clear ruby amber color. A light tan, smooth, and frothy head develops nicely, and slowly settles to a razor thin cap. Stringy and spotty lacing coats the glass.

Sharp piney hops are the main characteristic of the aroma. They are joined by sweet fruit-flavored hard candy like smell. For the high amount of alcohol, it is well hidden.

Toasty malts set up the brew, giving way to a spicy and bitter hop kick to the back of the tongue. The malts develop into a smooth creamy taste, while a sweet sugary candy like flavor dances in the middle of the tongue. Once again, the high amount of alcohol is well hidden. Medium bodied with good carbonation. The finish is mostly hop bitterness, with the bitterness lingering on the tongue for a while after each sip.

I knew this beer had a high rating before I reviewed it, so I went in with the mentality that I'm not going to let that influence me to write a favorable review just because everybody else did. After the first snifter-sized sample, I realized why everybody gives this one the thumbs up. It's a wonderfully complex and flavorful beer. The hops are there, but they don't overwhelm. The alcohol doesn't dominate either, even at 9.1% ABV. Try it, it's rated high for a reason.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Burnt orange color. Fluffy offwhite head, holds at a quarter inch. Excellent lacing.

S - Fragrant hops. Lots of citrus.

T - Very nice hop taste, not too intense. Starts off a slightly bitter hoppiness and ends with a nice fruitiness. Damn this is good!

M - Mouthfeel is crisp but not too dry. Nice and refreshing.

D - This is a really great beer. Alcohol is not detectable at all. I'm going to get another bottle very soon.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

A. Easy poor ¼ inch yellow/white/tan head. Good carbonation. Color is a very hazy golden orange. Almost looks like the glow you see in the movies when they open the brief case.
S. Fruity, monster hops, orange, little pine.
T. Hops, alcohol, orange, pine, pear, oak, nutty, honey. The hops are very over powering, this is awesome.
M. Thick, gritty, dry, delicious.
O. One of the top 5 Double IPA’s I’ve ever had. The alcohol is in your chest, but in a good way. Good ass buzz for only 10% ABV.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance: Pours a slightly opaque deep amber with a huge ass tan head. Looks like a cartoon head, ridiculous. Head retention is great as is the lacing.

Smell: Hops are really in your face and wonderful. Smells like they just came off of the vine and into the glass. Lots of resin aroma, piny as hell. This is how I want my DIPAs to smell.

Taste/Feel: This might be the hoppiest tasting beers I've had, not the most bitter, but the taste is intense. Just enough malt to make it drinkable, but those hops are screamin'! Nice light hop aftertaste that makes you want that next sip. Great mouthfeel, not too sticky, can be refreshing.

I'm so glad the local beer store just got these in, hopefully the supply won't dry up!

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

I got this bottle at the Santa Barbara Whole Foods while on a Hop tour of California. Being from Newfoundland (and now Ontario) I'm a little hop-deprived, so I was looking for the best of California/Near IIPA's and the like.

A - A super nice orange colour with hints of copper and a nice lacy head. The head didn't come out much when I poured it at all, but it was still nice.

S - Hops! Pine, resin, some citrus. Really super hoppy.

T - Some sweat citrus, then some malt character, and then pine and bitterness. Some alcohol warmth, though less than the expected from the percentage, which makes this sneaky!

M - Really nice. Somewhat creamy. It foams nicely and is relatively soft, which is unexpected and really pleasant.

O - I've been looking for something with that nice round hop taste, and this is the ideal one for that! Great hops, it really hits the spot!

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Hercules, I crown thee king, king of double IPA's. At least, so far as my search for the best goes.
It looks like carbonated refreshing Iced Tea. With a nice 1 inch head capping it of course. Sparse lacing is left on the way down through the glass.
The nose is like being smacked in the face with a branch of a pine tree. I have never smelled a pine aroma this strong. After the pine I get sweet grapefruit and orange.
Taste is again, pine, followed by grapefruit, sweet caramel, lemon and orange. Finish is massively bitter.
Mouth is so damned balanced it could be a gymnast.
Of course the drinkability is excellent because it tastes so damned amazing. Stone calls it's double IPA ruination but this one delivers on that promise far more. A real gem.

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

Thick-looking amber bronze brew with a thick two finger head that never goes away, and tons of lace.

Smells wonderfully thick and heady with floral hop oils. Like walking into a flowering hop jungle.

Tastes sweet, thickly malted, and very hoppy. The hops here are not grapefruity or grassy, but much more thick and oily. Tastes like hop buds rolled in sugar.

Very thick and creamy in my mouth, and slighty more drinkable than other DIPAs IMO. This is a great brew that will find it's way into my fridge often. Very similar to DFH 90 minute IPA, but slighty better IMO.

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

Some of the best beers I've ever tried were the ones when I went to the store and was like....ehhhh...l.... I'll try it...

Bottled on 4/25/13... drank on 7/8/13...

Poured from bottle into sniffter...

Copper color crystal clear... bubbles shooting to the top super fast.... about 3/4 inch white head... didn't last crazy long but was still there thruout. Lacing was semi sticky... some stayed a while... some ran down quickly with no residue... I'm intrigued...

Smell was phenomenal.... very heavy sweet pineapple grapefruit smell... malt in there with hops shooting thru the nostrils...

Taste... very heavy feeling on first sip with a nice pineapple grapefruit citrus and perfectly balanced hopness... at 85ibu it is very good.... the thing I like most about it that separated from it from the pack was that it had a prune/date/nuttiness to it... almost like a dubbel or an old ale.... this blended so well and was on my pallate the whole time.. my favorite stlyes are the ones mentioned above so this was absolute heaven for me. It is that prune/date/old ale type that really made me say oh my God... ergo..

Overall to date this is the highest rated beer I've given... definitely top 3 of all time... I don't know if I drank it at the perfect time or if it matched the profiles of beers that I like... but this was by far my favorite DIPA ive ever had...it was absolutely amazing and the sheer fact that i just picked it off the shelf was in itself destiny.beautifully balanced with a good amount a malt, good balanced hops and that amazing mix up of the styles. I'm just disappointed that I only tried one twelve ounce... well I'm going back for a six pack... that should be enough to prove to you this is a beer that you must try

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

The Hercules Double IPA pours a slightly cloudy, copper color with a large, pillowy, light brownish-orange head that displays great retention and some nice lacing.

Its aroma is hops with citrus (apricot) and pine notes and some subtle malt in the background.

It has a nice, velvety mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. The flavor is very nicely balanced. Lot of big hops with some nice citrus notes and a good malt backbone to offset it, followed by a crisp finish. I didn't notice the 9.1% alcohol at all - it is surprisingly drinkable.

Wow, this is a very well made beer! An excellent IPA specimen...probably my favorite to date, IPA or any other style.

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

I was surpised that this was served in full 16 oz. servings, due to alchohol. Either way, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Appearance was a deep clear amber with loads of bubbles floating to a white chunky head. Smell was slightly malt and very very grapefruit due to I suspect a whole lot of dry hopped cascade hops. Taste matched smell quite well. Loads of bitterness, but kept from being insane by malt that just did the job, but surely did not come close to balance the hop bitterness, taste, and smell. Mouthfeel was smooth decently carbonated. Drinkability was good as you can get for a beer that's around 9%. I will surely want this one again.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company