Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,838 | Reviews: 1,555
4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours deep red-copper with a thick, crisp white head. Sheets of lacing. Very nice.

Aroma is caramel malt base with hints of brown sugar. However, it is the piney and citrus hops that really take center stage. Complex and interesting. A touch of earthy nuttiness.

Taste is similiar to the nose, but the massive, grainy caramel malt has more of a presence. Surprisingly nutty, while retaining the resinous piney, citrus hop character. This is a DIPA that shows restraint and offers a rich flavorful experience. Flavor is big but balanced. Finish is dry with lingering hop spice and mild alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. very creamy and smooth.

This is a winner! Unlike some DIPA's that seem to try to be as bitter as possible, this one offers a range and complexity of flavor that supersedes any other DIPA I can think of. I'm honestly surprised at how good this is.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

A fine example of a style of beer that I absolutely love. This Hop juice filled concoction was a great treat for me this summer. Pours an orangish copper hue with resinous piney araoma taste and pinecone pineapple burps. I love this stuff, not overly alcoholic not one dimensional. One heck of a solid beer that i am sure to revisit on a regular basis.

4.66/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Dark amber. Head stays for a long time. Thick Head!

S: Citrusy smell(if that makes sense) Sorta fruity.

T: Citrus Grapefruit Bitterness. Hops linger for a while.

F: Mouthfeel is pretty thick. Almost syrupy. It works well with the flavor!

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Was able to smell this beer right away when I opened it, and in a good way. Even from a distance the hop scents are abundant. Lots of citric oily ho scents and some dark fruits. Some pines scent's sting the back of the nostrils.

Raisins and other dark fruits up front. Some slightly spices hops in the middle. Not too much lingers other than some fruit taste and a slight alcohol presence.

All I can say is wow! I feel like this is how dipa's should taste. I thought 90 minute was fantastic but this somehow goes far beyond it. Super balanced, thick yet smooth, decent carbonation, and lots of hop presence. I love it! A very dangerous brew

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on-tap at The Public House Brookline.

Deep coppery coloration and lots of fine carbonation crawling up the sides of the glass. Thick, dense off-white head that was present throughout, start to finish.
Nose just reeked of hops aromas; big-time pine sap and needles, grapefruit and tangerine rinds. Malt base is evident thanks to the light caramel and faintly earthy notes.
Taste had a solid sweetly malty platform that stood up well to the incoming onslaught of citrus and pine flavors. Hercules seems to pack in just about every kind of flavor there is in terms of describing hops. Sappy, resinous spruce, a torrent of juicy grapefruit pith; you name it, it's there. Let's not forget the alcohol, just barely registering against the 600lb gorilla hops load. It's there, just behind the veil.
Well-carbonated, Hercules has a full, lush and velvety feel.
Even wieghing in at 9.1%ABV, Hercules is dangerously drinkable, to the point where coordination may be compromised. Hercules is a stand-out double IPA. One of the best there is and worth seeking out.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Partly clear orange-copper. The pleasant aromas of pine, citrus, alcohol, and MJ tantalize the nostrils. On the palate, Hercules offers big-time bitterness with resinous and full hops flavors, plus enough malt and alcohol to support, but not supplant, the hop presence. This one's a little better-integrated than some DIPAs that are just "going through the motions," if you will. Here's a round, smooth, bitter, flavorful, and satisfying DIPA if ever there was one. Drinks as easily as any other DIPA I've encountered, and then some.

Bravo Great Divide.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Caramel colored with thick wihte head. Good lacing.

S: Brown sugar, with some piney hops. Underlying nuttiness and sweetness.

T: Carmely and malty up front. Fades to piney hops. Very nice, but not overpowering. Well balanced. Hops linger on long finish.

M: Heavy and slick with good carbonation

D: Very good. Hops aren't overpowering so it lets you enjoy the taste of the beer for a long time.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Very excellent beer. Poured from a 22oz beer bomber in from a Tampa bar. Deep amber, reddish color. Solid, taste with a slight hoppy taste from your typical IPA but also offered a full, malt body. I am unsure of what a "double" IPA actually means, but its a fuller body than a normal IPA for sure. This was one excellent beer. Cheers.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours an orange copper: Head is about2 fingers that falls quick. Nose is nice sweet grapefruit hops. This one has a very mellow flavor. The malts and hops dance together very well and intice me to drink more. For a double IPA, the hops are nicely subdued and rounded out well by the sweet malt. I like it a lot. The mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability on this one is the best I have found in a double. I think I will be getting a few more of these to keep around for a rainy day.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

I am sitting here sipping on this along with another bomber of Avery Eleven. I am comparing the two.

Hercules pours a dark reddish brown. The head is large, dense, diminishing but does leave a very solid lace.

Very spicy and enjoyable aroma. It's very spicy (cinnamon,salt), very citrusy (lemon, grapefruit, slightly sweet (cinnamon rolls and cherry pie). Still, it's very soft and mellow and begs you to take a sip.

Resinous start. Pine, floral and woody notes. Sharply acidic. Creamy and full mouthfeel. The finish is full of marijuana notes.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is overall a wonderful sipping beer. It has a strong taste but not nearly as strong as most other DIPA that I have had in the past. The smell is not a good indicator of the taste at all. The taste begins with a smooth citrus feel and ends with a strong grapefruit taste. This is one of my favorite DIPA. It is a little pricey but worth the money.

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a light amber color. Surprisingly, there isn't much of a head, and very little lacing (although this could be my fault). The smell is incredible, all pine and apricots. Tastes very bitter, but it's not overwhelming at all (even at 85 IBUs), with piney, apricoty hops dominating, although there may be a little citrus there. I allowed myself to savor this one, and it became even better as it warmed.

Fabulous beer here, definitely recommended. I'm glad I got my hands on a bottle of this, which is truly the nectar of the Gods.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

The first pour was largely clear, dark bronze in hue with an amber-peachy influence. I really like how the liquid looks! It is darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was excellent, the foam sat on top of the liquid like concrete, and it took along while before it faded to a tight cap, which lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was awesome; it looked like lightly tattered wallpaper. The second pour had a bit more haze to the liquid; maybe I am drunk at this point. Whatever the case, this beer looks fantastic. I know that much. The bottom line is simple; this beer, for the style, cannot look any better.

The nose is thunderous with hops. There is no question that this beer is a DIPA. I am impressed that the nose is so rich with hops. Sticky. Pungent. Resiny. Piney. Sprucey. Citrusy… grapefruit flesh, rinds, orange peel, and lemon. Spicy. The alcohol is noticeable; the heat is warming my face and I haven’t even taken a sip. The malt is caramely and flirty but clearly secondary to the hops, and even the alcohol. Not matter, I am happy I can smell any malt behind the hop explosion. With every sniff I am rewarded with a glorious bouquet. It is literally making my mouth water. Can you get any more inviting then that? I wish the potency was louder but the aroma is so compact it almost makes up for it. Dangerously alluring.

The palate is wonderful, simply wonderful. I love the massive bitterness. My tongue is nothing more then a punching bag. I love it. The alcohol burns. Hot nasty heat… it stings the tongue and scorches my throat on the swallow. I love it. The caramel malt is so playful. I am surprised I can even taste it. This impresses me greatly. This beer is not heavy handed even though it is punching my palate relentlessly. There is tremendous grace; it is like Muhammad Ali in his prime. This beer floats like a butterfly and stings like a swarm of pissed-off Africanized killer bees… on steroids. Realistically, could this beer taste any better? I mean for a DIPA it has everything. There is plenty of bitterness, raw citrus bite upfront, orange and grapefruit zest in the middle, and it turns fleshy and juicy at the finish. Plus there are hints of berry and tropical fruit. Candy sugar. Cinnamon. Toffee. Naked alcohol… maybe there are some pine needles soaking in there. Wood. Mint. Delicious. Amazing. I like to compare beers in the same style. I am not with this one. It is great. It is different then Dreadnaught. It is different then Devil Dancer. It is different then Ruination. Hercules kicks ass. Sometimes it can be as simple as that… awesome. The alcohol is hitting my brain, right about half way through the bottle. It is numbing. From start to finish, this is lovely, lovely stuff.

Medium in body, maybe a tickle bigger… the mouthfeel is workable but it doesn’t standout. It is not too thin and I guess that is the most important thing. It is big enough to support this beer. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is solid.

Amazing stuff and perfectly drinkable… I want lots of cheese and then a nap. This is a hop bomb and a sedative. Hell, give me a turkey sandwich and I’m in a coma for a week. What more can I ask for? I am very impressed with this DIPA. It is bitter and aggressive but rich and complex. I love it. I purchased one bomber in Boulder, CO. This is a beer that I will have to buy many of, the next time I can. I would love for a beer like this to be available commercially in Nebraska. Maybe someday. Highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

I cant believe I have never had this baby before. served in a British Imperial Pint mug from a "bomber". Very very lovelly, attractive beer to look at, dark burnt orange in colur ,very attractive innthe sunlight. Attractive light tan head. Perfect presentation. A really gorgeous fresh "piney" aroma with hints of lemon grass ans pepper. Great bustin’ with fruitiness flavours ..piney, lemon, floral,creamy toffee and caramel malts.I also get some faint hints of liquorice and some traditional marmalade ( zesty) flavours. Very very good palate to this beer for something so packed with flavour, some of them conflicting, the mouthfeel is almost silky smooth. A great brewer has managed to meld these clashing profiles into cream like smoothness in the finish..excellent. Overall a terrific DIPA the best I have had of this genre. One to visit again and again and again.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance - Orangish amber, and quite clear. Beautiful creamy off white - and long-lasting to boot. Good lacing.

Smell - Floral hops galore, with malt as background. I also pick up pungent hop smell - it sort of forms the base for the whole aroma experience.

Taste - I happen to enjoy hop overkill, and this beer fits the ticket perfectly. I have a hard time concentrating on the malt, but some sweet flavors develop as the beer warms. The hops are so rough that a small burn develops at the back of teh throat. Stylistically, this beer is almost perfect.

Mouthfeel - Almost resiny. This is super thick beer. Offer a macro brew drinker a sip of this for a serious checkle.

Drinkability - How drinkable is a beer that gives you instant cotton mouth? It can be pretty darn drinkable, if it's Hercules. It will probably improve if aged for a while.

Comments - Not for the faint of heart. Drink this if you ever need to restore your faith in anything.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

A: A generous warm orange slightly hazy pour with a large compact tan head that takes quite some time to dissipate, nice lacings.

S: Tropical and citric fruits from the floral hops; pineapple, grapefruit and lemon. Nice balanced sweetness in the rich malt.

T: Sweet molasses-like malts, some caramell balances the awsome hops, both bitter as well as floral. Lots of fruits.

M: Body is syrupy and full, almost heavy. Carbonation is really low. Aftertaste lingers with sweet bitterness. Warmth from the high ABV.

O: Very complex and well balanced.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 650mL bottle.

This beer pours an orange with a frothy white head that holds beautifully and laces well. The smell is a fantastic mixture of citrusy hops and some sweet maltiness. Just a great aroma. The taste is also a major hop bomb. Again a fanastic hop flavor exhibiting some fantastic citrus (grapefruit) character but balanced out nicely with some good maltiness. There is a good thickeness to this beer and a nice carbonation. Overall highly drinkable, I just love a good DIPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - This one came out of the bottle an intimidating, deep hazy orange with some brown influences. The liquid is thick, thick, thick. The color showed a lot of depth and was very inviting. The head was modest but well-tanned and left some nice lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell - This is a big, heavy, monster nose. There is just tons and tons of caramel and toffee in here. The hops are complex and huge as well. I can pick up some good pine sap along with some big citrus and a few other notes that give a lot of depth to this gigantic bouquet. All in all, this is one of the biggest, most-balanced ADIPA noses that I've ever smelled.

Taste - The taste follows the nose except the malts are noticeably dominant. For all the hops here, they take a back seat to the huge, luscious, gooey caramel and toffee malt presence.

Mouthfeel - This is big and full-bodied. I'm talking Pliny the Younger big. They should serve this at Ruth Chris' with a side of mashed potatoes. Forget the knife and fork; give me the classic 1970's-style electric turkey carving knife.

As big and chewy as this is, it's not overly dry. The finish has some dryness, but this one finishes with a super-sugary caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Eatability - Don't try to drink Hercules with a meal like I did. This is your dinner.

Comments - What a great treat! I'll offer a big thumbs up to BuckeyeNation for sending this out my way.

Update - They finally got this in SoCal in the fall of 2010. This is an amazing beer to say the least. The head was much improved from my initial review, which leads me to believe that the beer suffered a bit from the trip from Ohio. That said, the balance of this ale is amazing and the flavors are beyond reproach. There's really nothing else like it out there in the beer world. It makes the case for a huge DIPA but with grass and flowers instead of the triple C's and gooey malts. It is like no other double that I've ever had and is in a class all by itself. Especially unique is the nose that is very herbal and spicy yet also has a classic DIPA aroma. The aftertaste BTW will entertain you for hours.

Great Divide- Hercules Double IPA

Appearance- golden reddish brown with a big fluffy thick head. Sticky head laced the glass all the way down.
Smell- Huge hops. Pungent Grapefruit and orange rind. Big pine infused throughout.
Taste- Big sweet oily pine with a nice blend of grapefruit. Alcohol is noticeable.
Mouthfeel- First few sips there is a big bitterness kick up front but eventually the beer settles into a nice sweet pine IPA. Mellows out considerablely throughout.

Overall- A nice big IPA. A big flavor beer that holds on til the end. Definitely buy this and drink up!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice amber colored beer that is served in a snifter with a small frothy head that dissipates quickly, often by the time I get it from the bartender.

The taste is a little malty/sweet right off the bat followed by a strong bitter taste of fresh piney and citrusy hops that lingers. The beer is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth.

At nearly 10% you might expect a strong alcohol flavor but I think it is well balanced by the hops and isn't readily apparent. I always get to the bottom of my glass wishing there was more in it, but knowing that I've drank more than a traditional beer's worth of alcohol

The smell of this beer is probably my favorite part. You get the aroma of the hops mixed with a mild sweetness and the combination I love.

A local bar with 40 taps and over 500 different beers usually has this one on tap and every time I go I try to get something new but I always end up getting one of these before I leave.

This is probably one of the beers that made me fall in love with Imperial IPA's so if you're a fan of the style definitely give it a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a honey amber with a high frothy tan head.

Smelled of honey, molasses, wheat, bread dough and bubblegum with only a mild but obvious hop undertone.

The flavor is delightfully understated with a smooth caramel and light molasses malt whose sweetness fades into an intense orange and pine dryness that finishes with a slight caramel and a pleasant dryness.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light smooth carbonation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I've been craving for the last three months. A great IPA, a double none the less. The Mighty Herc is richly full of the aromas that make a great IPA, well, great. Very piny and grassy, and a bit lemony too.

When poured this produces a beautiful tight head, about two fingers thick into my pint glass. The body is ultra hazy and is orangish amber in color. The head sticks very well to the glass all the way through.

The taste of this brew is awesome. It is one of the most perfect IPAs I've had. Of course it's been a while, but damn this has the perfect balance of pine and sweet molasses at the same time. Very warming to the palate.

Like I've said, it's been a while since I've had an IPA let alone a double, but you've got to give this a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages!

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

So BA says I can't review the same beer even 3 yrs later. Pishshaw. Had it on tap at my favorite beer bar and I think that different years yeild different flavors. Marked that I had it in a bottle but in all truthfulness I had it on tap... again
A- warm amber in color. light head with minimal lacing

S - grapefruit/ citrus hops very nice

T - soapy hops in the beginning, nice hoppy bitter bite with a dryness in the finish

M- right where it should be. nicely carbonated, Heavy enough on the tongue without being thick

D - didn't know the abv when I tried it and totally didn't detect the 10% abv. WAY drinkable... in fact I had a 2nd. no residuel sweetness from the abv level. dangerously good

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Great color with a light haze. Deep amber ice tea. Fine white head has great staying power, but relatively low lace.

S - Apricot, honey, light booze, marzipan, warm woody hops.

T - Wow. Bright wood, warm mulled cider, bourbon, vanilla, bitter herbs. Stellar integration.

M - Super smooth with a full body.

O - An awesome DIPA, well worth the hype.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company