Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,538 | Hads: 3,926
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A - Nice amber color with a descent off white head. Minimal lacing.

S - Citrus and piney hops with a prevalent malt sweetness.

T - Too sweet and malty for me. Not bad hop flavor, but I certainly prefer my double IPAs less malty. Citrus and pine notes are well balanced.

M - Sticky and medium bodied.

D - Too sweet and malty. I'm definitely looking to moving on.

look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Didn't like this one as much as others.

Looks really good, like glowing honey with the exception of a million huge sediment particles floating around in the thing. They don't seem to affect the taste much but they look horrible.

Smells superb. Very hoppy, very, very hoppy with a nice maltiness lingering around in the background.

Super sweet hoppy taste to this. Nice maltiness as well. There is something to this one that I don't like as well as some of the true elite IIPAs. Kind of wangy or something.

Pretty good but not great.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Hercules is a malty bastard, pouring out a fairly dark color for a Double IPA. Deep amber and fairly hazed, it gives a thick feeling and seems much more of an Amber ale or Barleywine than its supposed style. Head has the typical thickness and stickiness of an ale with this much hops, leaving fair lace down any sort of vessel.

Smell is incredibly sweet as the caramel and rose tinted malts wash over the fruity scents. All told, I get a sense of scents like apples, melon, ruby red grapefruit, and spare shots of more a typically hop-made musty bushiness. Well done for sure, and far from deficient, but the hops are struggling to meet and play nicely with the over-abundant malts. They're like a beautiful painting covering an even more beautiful outdoor view. Shame.

Same story with the flavor, as the same fruity flavors described above roll through. What apparent bitterness is present gets tempered by the lush malts, though I'd say the drying and rough hop patterns are still strong. Alcohol is masked to a great degree, though potent as always for a big IPA. For each bomber I walk away with an over-bearing sense of caramel smothering the finer sides of American high-alpha hops. Where is the tropical and aromatic lupulin juice?

This beer is a great piece of brewing, and firmly drinkable. Finishing a bottle is no problem whatsoever, but in stacking it up to other great Double IPA's its a bit off. Though its easy to find I'd hesitate from calling this a top-shelf beer for the style. But oh well, they're available, well-priced, and easy enough to enjoy. Are my bottles a little old and thus lacking some punch - is that what's up?

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

Serving type- Bottle poured into a regular pint glass.

A- Pours an orange and amber red, with a nice medium head that dwindles inot a nice white lace present thrhoughout. No carbonation activity present after pour.

S- Smell of hops and citus. A clean combination. After thoughts of alcohol and pine.

T- This beer delivers with the hop flavors. Nice counterpunch to the alcohol that resonates from the mouthfeel.

Got this in a trade with thehand and even though Great Divide offers other selections in my area this is not one of them. I liked this alot, it had a good hop and malt flavor that finished smooth. Strong presence but not overwhelming. I hope that this is soon offered in my neck of the woods because I would like to have this brew again.

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

a very nice beer. Less of an IPA than a double due to the inherent sweetness and high alcohol. Those of us who are looking for the refreshing hoppy bitterness of an IPA will not be satisfied, however, for a particular evening this beer offers a nice compromise of sweet double combined with a robust IPA undertone, although at 10% ABV you won't be drinking a lot of it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: copper red. Slight off white head. Fairly thick lacing that doesn't linger long.
Smell: Light grapefruit, cotton candy, hint of floral.
Taste: as the nose suggests. A hoppy bite that's nearly balanced.
Overall: nice effort. I'm not a complete hophead, can see that breed really digging this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark copper with orange highlights, minimal head and lacing and light-moderate carbonation

S: subtle, not overpowering.juicy. blood orange, faint pine forest and a faint sweetness

T: some oily hops, orange and a little bit of a nutty balance

M: some creaminess. balanced with light-moderate carbonation. most, not all, of the bitterness shows in the aftertaste. dry.

D: Pretty decent but didn't live up to what I was expecting. There are other DIPA's I'll visit b/4 this

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into my Hennepin glass.

First off, I don't know if this is a common trait in this beer, but mine had quite large chunks of yeast in it, not something I've seen very often. I didn't factor it in

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper/amber, had the aforementioned yeast chunks in it, small ring of bubbles that stuck around the whole glass. Some lacing, not a ton, but not totally absent. Decent, I guess for the style.

S: Caramel malt, right off the bat. First thing I noticed, and it stuck around the aroma. Piney hops and a little fruit, but not as pronounced as in some DIPA's I've had. The caramel sweetness is really, really noticeable. Wow, I hope the taste is nothing like the smell.

T: Some of the caramel malt, but nowhere near as much as in the smell. Bittering hops are very noticeable, but not overly bitter, if that makes sense. Fruity hops from the aroma don't carry over. Piney, resinous hop dominates the flavor, overall. Malt is close. Good flavors though.

M: Oily, slick, lighter than some of the same style that I've had. Not particularly special, but not horrible.

D: Decent for the style. Not the best DIPA I've had, but not bad. I can bet that having this on tap is the desired serving type. This one just seemed it was possibly an older bottle.

For what it is, this is a decent beer. I wouldn't hate on it, but if the other DIPA's I've had are fresh versus this one (read: Hopslam, Lake Erie Monster, Double Trouble, etc), I will take those over this one. Not bad though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - One finger of white head on a hazy, amber body with nice lace.

S - Strong citrus hop aroma, mostly grapefruit with some pine. Sweet malt and some caramel to back it up.

T - Big grapefruit hop flavor and some spicy notes of cinnamon and allspice with big malt sweetness in the middle. Substantial bitterness in the finish, but not quite enough to balance the huge malt character.

M - Thick, syrupy body, medium carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - A strong and very sweet DIPA. The hop character is nice, but not complex and the malt is dominant is a way that becomes cloying after a while. Maybe I would like this better if it was billed as a barleywine, but as a DIPA it just doesn't have a vibrant enough hop character.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Excellent amber color. Small one finger foamy off-white head.

S- Skunky bitter hops and lots of em'. Gassy notes.

T- So smooth. Strong bitter hop and the 9% ABV makes its presense known. Oily and grassy. Slight malt at the end.

M- Thick bodied. Coats the palate nicely. Medium carbonation.

D- It's overall smooth and the mouthfeel is good. The bitterness and ABV blend doesn't really do it for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown in color, fluffy off white head and lacing to tell all the time.

S: Earthy tones, chocolate, with a musk sense of hops thrown in the back.

T: Nice hop in the front with the back lined up with burnt malts.

M: Thick in texture, ABV noticed with some concern, moderately carbonated.

D: If you like hoppy beers with a lot of malt, this is the beer for you. For the style, I prefer all or nothing.

look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed October 7th 2010 at Lucky Baldwin's, Pasadena.

Beer is a clear burnished copper color, very deep and rich color. Plenty of active carbonation. Head is thick, luxurious, cream colored and quite sticky. A winner in the glass.

Aromas are a bit wanting, however. Almost nothing but a faint whiff of pine.

At first sip, the flavor seems brutally skewed towards hops. Resiny, piny hops with a middling bitterness. After a few sips, the caramel flavor of the malt begins to peek through and provides some welcome balance. Traces of citrus in the hops as well, but hardly a major flavor component.

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry which does not quite cut the oily feeling left behind after each sip.

Overall, while this doesn't bring anything new to the DIPA table, it is utterly a joy to drink. And at 10% ABV, one must watch one's intake!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brown bomber with 85 IBU’s listed, no abv or date.
Aroma: What a surprise: hoppy. Ok, Strong Pine and Grapefruit hop smells with only the slightest hint of underlying sweet malt.
Appearance: Hazy orange with yellow edges. Moderate carbonation feeds a rather thin off white head that left a slight ring when it rapidly collapsed. For such a small head, it laced impressively leaving solid tide marks.
Flavor: Full on hop assault, strongly bitter with little restraint provided from the malt. There are some oak characteristics, a sweet middle and a lingering wisp of cotton candy but the hops burn it all away. The alcohol is noted in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Heavy body, syrupy almost, had to draw a sample away from the glass with a strong pull. It left an oil layer in my mouth, throat, and esophagus.
Overall Impression: I’m not amused. Ok, it is a double IPA, it SHOULD be too hoppy, and it is, but it seems that is all there is. The malt base is just too shallow leaving this without much complexity. The alcohol is also rather hot.
Not surprisingly, as the beer warmed, so did I, and my opinion of this brute mellowed some. The malt started to come out a bit more, and I’m guessing my taste buds gave up screaming “it’s way to hoppy!!!” and decided to just enjoy the ride. The mouthfeel also seemed to lighten a bit, but I still find the alcohol too hot.
Looking for a subtle and complex palate soother? Keep moving; nothing to see here.
Need a 200cc hop injection, stat? This is your beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on January 10, 2013.

Pours dark amber with a very thin off white head which disappears quickly, leaving no lacing. The aroma has Grapefruit, citrus zest, pine, and caramel malt.

Tastes sweeter than I expected, with some light bitterness for balance. Has grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and caramel malt. Makes for a nicely balanced beer.

Medium to full bodied with very low carbonation, and a sweet aftertaste. Leaves a bit if a sticky feling in the mouth. The alcohol is well disguised for a 10.00 % abv beer. I would have scored this higher, had there been proper carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an overcast orange with a meaty head that dwindles to an off-white swirl of melted ice milk. The glass is held together by pretty white lace that clings in all the right places.

Aroma is dirty C-hops rich with malt. You've definitely got your grapefruit citrus in the house, but the piney hops are more cone than needles.

Lots of slick acidic Lupulin. More malt presence than most American DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is cream-filled. Full and feathery soft fades to a slow acidic Humulene chemical burn.

This brew takes an interesting approach to the DIPA style shooting for a very active nutty maltiness in the forefront to bring equilibrium to the loaded hops. The result however I think emphasizes the somewhat unpleasant oil-like burn brought by DIPA level hop rate. By choosing to not showcase the hop aroma and flavor as prominently as others this beer has taken away from itself an important component that makes heavy-hitting IPAs so enjoyable.

Generally I'm a huge fan of their big brews but this was just an average Double IPA, not my favorite.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a pale copper with a small creamy persistent head. Fair bit of almost transparent yeast clumps floating all over the place, apparently Great Divide's yeast doesn't flocculate well. Amazingly thick lacing though.
Aroma shows lots of malt for an IIPA, loads of caramel, molasses, golden syrup and nutty notes. Hops are still there in the background however, with resinous and piney notes being most prevalent.
Flavours reflect the aroma: fairly malty with a lot of golden syrup and some nutty notes, before resinous hops take over, followed by an extremely piney, mildly bitter finish contributed to by some clean alcohol
Quite a rich body with creamy carbonation that doesn't manage to cut through the sweetness.
The malt levels in this are off the scale. Really lacking in hops aroma and to a lesser extent flavour. None the less, quite enjoyable, though too rich to have more than a couple.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Golden, reddish hues, crystal clear. Slightly off white head that lingers.

Smell: Piney hop aroma fills the nose. Nice aroma. Would like a little citrus aroma in here.

Taste: Malty. Not as hoppy has I would have hoped. I would have liked to have a hop bomb and expected one having tried the Titan IPA from this brewery. Sweet maltiness way overpowers the hops. Probably some light to medium crystal in here as well.

Mouthfeel: Heavy. Very heavy. Needs a bit more carbination. Alcohol hidden well.

Drinkability: Too heavy for me. It's a sipper. I like their Titan and Fresh hop ales better but this is still good.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 2/7/11

A: If you'd told me this was a DIPA, I'd have called you a liar. It is one of the darkest and murkiest DIPA's I've ever seen. Amber/red hues with unfiltered dregs really looks like something I'd find in a barleywine. Regardless, it does come out swinging, as the head is thick and tall, a good 1.5 fingers. Intense lacing remains as the head slowly falls.

S: There's no hiding the alcohol here - it's up front and all around. I do get a mild hint of hops, but the alcohol comes roaring back and sqashes the humulus lupulus like a gnat making friends with a rolled up newspaper.

T: Have I introduced you to Senor Alcohol? This one is hot, but I like it. Given a second in my mouth, the traditional profile cornerstones do pop out: faint citrus, hoppy bitterness and a suprisingly rich maltiness (which I wasn't expecting).

M: A massivly big and heavy DIPA. It really comes off with a lot more oomph then I would have expected. It's like they took "Lawrence of Arabia" and crammed it into beer form - just huge and epic.

O: Not what I was expecting. I think I dug it, but I'm still kind of in awe. Great Divide really put it all on the table with this one, and for that I give them credit. But for my day to day drinking, I don't know how often this one will be chilling in my fridge.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottled on Feb. 9, 2011.. very fresh! 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a burnt golden, pushing being orange; completely transparent. Not the biggest head, but great lacing. I'm picking up lots of pine mixed with some citrus, specifically grapefruit. Tastes extremely bitter, slightly sweet. Lots of pine and resin in the mix; sticky. Pretty malty with hints of caramel giving it some sweetness.. but like I mentioned, extremely bitter. Mouthfeel is nice.. it started off fizzy, but became more smooth as you get more into it; full-bodied. Drinkablity is average, alcohol is noticeable, finishes warm and sticky. This is a huge beer.

This beer could be really great, IMO, but it's completely unbalanced. I understand the DIPA style is based on not being balanced.. but I wasn't feeling this one, and I really wanted to. I'm a huge fan of Great Divide, so I feel a tad let down. It's worthy though. I completely understand why so many people like this beer.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Smell: sweet malt, toffee, biscuit, some butter, and hoppy notes of grape, grass, citrus. Really nice smell.

Taste: surprisingly (for me) smooth and creamy, sweet malt, toffee, biscuit and a lot of american hops - grape, apples, resin, grass. Some salt as well, and very bitter. I like it, especially the balance between smooth sweet malt and heavy, bitter hops. However, I did detect some alcohol, and the hops are not as rich in flavours as, I believe, Rouges IIPA. Or perhaps its the bitterness that dominates too much. Or - perhaps its just me not fully appreciating this style.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with a Bottled On Date of Jan. 24, 2011. Pours a translucent light orange color with a thin layer of head. Lots of lacing. Aroma is mostly citrus and pine hops. Kind of sweet smelling by the smell of hops dominates. Taste is very bitter upfront. Flavor is mostly the pine hops. A bit floral near the end to go with the bitter aftertaste. Slightly boozey but certainly not as much alcohol flavor as one would expect for a beer with a double digit ABV. I like the bitterness of this one but it masks many of the other nuances. Overall, it's a good buy every once in awhile.

12 oz bottle from apparently 12/2003

A - Pours a copperish amber color. Little head formation, but is there is awfully white. THe film that is leftover is very light. Bubbling is subdued, indicating light carbonation.

S - A potent nose of orange and grapefruit hop notes. Some sweet malt in there, but it is playing at best third fiddle. Lots of alpha acids here.

T - Starts off with the only malt note that you'll ever get out of this beer. Continues with the big hammer of the bitterness. A bit biting. Finishes with a huge flourish of sweet hops. Very floral, and grapefruit. Amazingly light aftertaste.

M - Thick and full of body. There must be lots of unfermentables here. Creamy. No carbonation bite to speak of.

D - This is probably a solo or a double flier in a night for me. The bitterness becomes somewhat overbearing as you approach the bottom of the bottle. Weight on the palette is manageable. ABV is a hair potent.

A solid offering from the good folks at GD. I'd say this is in the same vain as Flying Dog's Double Dog.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Pours deep copper, with gold highlights. No head, and thin layer of white foam on the surface.

S - Strong pine, resin, spicy hop aroma.

T - Same as above, only up to 11. Very strong hop flavors, no maltyness.

M - Full, slightly sharp and very bitter.

D - Wow, a good IIPA, but I wouldn't want more than one.

3.59/5  rDev -13.1%

A copper/golden color with hints of orange. It has nice head, that laces down the glass slowly. Strong aromas of citrus, especially grapefruit, as well as floral and piney scents. The taste is surprising, it starts with a sweet taste of malt and little bit of honeyin there as well. The hops soon begin to dominate the taste, with prodominantly a citrus flavor. It is slightly heavy, as it comes across the palate at the beginning, then it gradually thins itself out. Drinkability, this is hop-head beer, though it was a tad disappointing I was expecting a stronger hoppiness in this beer.

3.59/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Color is good. It is nice an amber like a beautiful strawberry blond rockstar...disappointed in the froth..where is it?
S: Smell, citrus and bitter, yum.
T: About the same as the smell, but doesn't go much further.
M: There is a odd smoothness to this beer..and then BAM bitterrr. It tastes good, but it lingers like a cheap beer.
D: The taste and the mouthfeel combine to create a drinkable beer that you could drink really fast and get into trouble.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company