Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,944
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown in color, fluffy off white head and lacing to tell all the time.

S: Earthy tones, chocolate, with a musk sense of hops thrown in the back.

T: Nice hop in the front with the back lined up with burnt malts.

M: Thick in texture, ABV noticed with some concern, moderately carbonated.

D: If you like hoppy beers with a lot of malt, this is the beer for you. For the style, I prefer all or nothing.

look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed October 7th 2010 at Lucky Baldwin's, Pasadena.

Beer is a clear burnished copper color, very deep and rich color. Plenty of active carbonation. Head is thick, luxurious, cream colored and quite sticky. A winner in the glass.

Aromas are a bit wanting, however. Almost nothing but a faint whiff of pine.

At first sip, the flavor seems brutally skewed towards hops. Resiny, piny hops with a middling bitterness. After a few sips, the caramel flavor of the malt begins to peek through and provides some welcome balance. Traces of citrus in the hops as well, but hardly a major flavor component.

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry which does not quite cut the oily feeling left behind after each sip.

Overall, while this doesn't bring anything new to the DIPA table, it is utterly a joy to drink. And at 10% ABV, one must watch one's intake!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brown bomber with 85 IBU’s listed, no abv or date.
Aroma: What a surprise: hoppy. Ok, Strong Pine and Grapefruit hop smells with only the slightest hint of underlying sweet malt.
Appearance: Hazy orange with yellow edges. Moderate carbonation feeds a rather thin off white head that left a slight ring when it rapidly collapsed. For such a small head, it laced impressively leaving solid tide marks.
Flavor: Full on hop assault, strongly bitter with little restraint provided from the malt. There are some oak characteristics, a sweet middle and a lingering wisp of cotton candy but the hops burn it all away. The alcohol is noted in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Heavy body, syrupy almost, had to draw a sample away from the glass with a strong pull. It left an oil layer in my mouth, throat, and esophagus.
Overall Impression: I’m not amused. Ok, it is a double IPA, it SHOULD be too hoppy, and it is, but it seems that is all there is. The malt base is just too shallow leaving this without much complexity. The alcohol is also rather hot.
Not surprisingly, as the beer warmed, so did I, and my opinion of this brute mellowed some. The malt started to come out a bit more, and I’m guessing my taste buds gave up screaming “it’s way to hoppy!!!” and decided to just enjoy the ride. The mouthfeel also seemed to lighten a bit, but I still find the alcohol too hot.
Looking for a subtle and complex palate soother? Keep moving; nothing to see here.
Need a 200cc hop injection, stat? This is your beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on January 10, 2013.

Pours dark amber with a very thin off white head which disappears quickly, leaving no lacing. The aroma has Grapefruit, citrus zest, pine, and caramel malt.

Tastes sweeter than I expected, with some light bitterness for balance. Has grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and caramel malt. Makes for a nicely balanced beer.

Medium to full bodied with very low carbonation, and a sweet aftertaste. Leaves a bit if a sticky feling in the mouth. The alcohol is well disguised for a 10.00 % abv beer. I would have scored this higher, had there been proper carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an overcast orange with a meaty head that dwindles to an off-white swirl of melted ice milk. The glass is held together by pretty white lace that clings in all the right places.

Aroma is dirty C-hops rich with malt. You've definitely got your grapefruit citrus in the house, but the piney hops are more cone than needles.

Lots of slick acidic Lupulin. More malt presence than most American DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is cream-filled. Full and feathery soft fades to a slow acidic Humulene chemical burn.

This brew takes an interesting approach to the DIPA style shooting for a very active nutty maltiness in the forefront to bring equilibrium to the loaded hops. The result however I think emphasizes the somewhat unpleasant oil-like burn brought by DIPA level hop rate. By choosing to not showcase the hop aroma and flavor as prominently as others this beer has taken away from itself an important component that makes heavy-hitting IPAs so enjoyable.

Generally I'm a huge fan of their big brews but this was just an average Double IPA, not my favorite.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a pale copper with a small creamy persistent head. Fair bit of almost transparent yeast clumps floating all over the place, apparently Great Divide's yeast doesn't flocculate well. Amazingly thick lacing though.
Aroma shows lots of malt for an IIPA, loads of caramel, molasses, golden syrup and nutty notes. Hops are still there in the background however, with resinous and piney notes being most prevalent.
Flavours reflect the aroma: fairly malty with a lot of golden syrup and some nutty notes, before resinous hops take over, followed by an extremely piney, mildly bitter finish contributed to by some clean alcohol
Quite a rich body with creamy carbonation that doesn't manage to cut through the sweetness.
The malt levels in this are off the scale. Really lacking in hops aroma and to a lesser extent flavour. None the less, quite enjoyable, though too rich to have more than a couple.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Golden, reddish hues, crystal clear. Slightly off white head that lingers.

Smell: Piney hop aroma fills the nose. Nice aroma. Would like a little citrus aroma in here.

Taste: Malty. Not as hoppy has I would have hoped. I would have liked to have a hop bomb and expected one having tried the Titan IPA from this brewery. Sweet maltiness way overpowers the hops. Probably some light to medium crystal in here as well.

Mouthfeel: Heavy. Very heavy. Needs a bit more carbination. Alcohol hidden well.

Drinkability: Too heavy for me. It's a sipper. I like their Titan and Fresh hop ales better but this is still good.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 2/7/11

A: If you'd told me this was a DIPA, I'd have called you a liar. It is one of the darkest and murkiest DIPA's I've ever seen. Amber/red hues with unfiltered dregs really looks like something I'd find in a barleywine. Regardless, it does come out swinging, as the head is thick and tall, a good 1.5 fingers. Intense lacing remains as the head slowly falls.

S: There's no hiding the alcohol here - it's up front and all around. I do get a mild hint of hops, but the alcohol comes roaring back and sqashes the humulus lupulus like a gnat making friends with a rolled up newspaper.

T: Have I introduced you to Senor Alcohol? This one is hot, but I like it. Given a second in my mouth, the traditional profile cornerstones do pop out: faint citrus, hoppy bitterness and a suprisingly rich maltiness (which I wasn't expecting).

M: A massivly big and heavy DIPA. It really comes off with a lot more oomph then I would have expected. It's like they took "Lawrence of Arabia" and crammed it into beer form - just huge and epic.

O: Not what I was expecting. I think I dug it, but I'm still kind of in awe. Great Divide really put it all on the table with this one, and for that I give them credit. But for my day to day drinking, I don't know how often this one will be chilling in my fridge.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottled on Feb. 9, 2011.. very fresh! 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a burnt golden, pushing being orange; completely transparent. Not the biggest head, but great lacing. I'm picking up lots of pine mixed with some citrus, specifically grapefruit. Tastes extremely bitter, slightly sweet. Lots of pine and resin in the mix; sticky. Pretty malty with hints of caramel giving it some sweetness.. but like I mentioned, extremely bitter. Mouthfeel is nice.. it started off fizzy, but became more smooth as you get more into it; full-bodied. Drinkablity is average, alcohol is noticeable, finishes warm and sticky. This is a huge beer.

This beer could be really great, IMO, but it's completely unbalanced. I understand the DIPA style is based on not being balanced.. but I wasn't feeling this one, and I really wanted to. I'm a huge fan of Great Divide, so I feel a tad let down. It's worthy though. I completely understand why so many people like this beer.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Smell: sweet malt, toffee, biscuit, some butter, and hoppy notes of grape, grass, citrus. Really nice smell.

Taste: surprisingly (for me) smooth and creamy, sweet malt, toffee, biscuit and a lot of american hops - grape, apples, resin, grass. Some salt as well, and very bitter. I like it, especially the balance between smooth sweet malt and heavy, bitter hops. However, I did detect some alcohol, and the hops are not as rich in flavours as, I believe, Rouges IIPA. Or perhaps its the bitterness that dominates too much. Or - perhaps its just me not fully appreciating this style.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with a Bottled On Date of Jan. 24, 2011. Pours a translucent light orange color with a thin layer of head. Lots of lacing. Aroma is mostly citrus and pine hops. Kind of sweet smelling by the smell of hops dominates. Taste is very bitter upfront. Flavor is mostly the pine hops. A bit floral near the end to go with the bitter aftertaste. Slightly boozey but certainly not as much alcohol flavor as one would expect for a beer with a double digit ABV. I like the bitterness of this one but it masks many of the other nuances. Overall, it's a good buy every once in awhile.

12 oz bottle from apparently 12/2003

A - Pours a copperish amber color. Little head formation, but is there is awfully white. THe film that is leftover is very light. Bubbling is subdued, indicating light carbonation.

S - A potent nose of orange and grapefruit hop notes. Some sweet malt in there, but it is playing at best third fiddle. Lots of alpha acids here.

T - Starts off with the only malt note that you'll ever get out of this beer. Continues with the big hammer of the bitterness. A bit biting. Finishes with a huge flourish of sweet hops. Very floral, and grapefruit. Amazingly light aftertaste.

M - Thick and full of body. There must be lots of unfermentables here. Creamy. No carbonation bite to speak of.

D - This is probably a solo or a double flier in a night for me. The bitterness becomes somewhat overbearing as you approach the bottom of the bottle. Weight on the palette is manageable. ABV is a hair potent.

A solid offering from the good folks at GD. I'd say this is in the same vain as Flying Dog's Double Dog.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Pours deep copper, with gold highlights. No head, and thin layer of white foam on the surface.

S - Strong pine, resin, spicy hop aroma.

T - Same as above, only up to 11. Very strong hop flavors, no maltyness.

M - Full, slightly sharp and very bitter.

D - Wow, a good IIPA, but I wouldn't want more than one.

3.59/5  rDev -13.1%

A copper/golden color with hints of orange. It has nice head, that laces down the glass slowly. Strong aromas of citrus, especially grapefruit, as well as floral and piney scents. The taste is surprising, it starts with a sweet taste of malt and little bit of honeyin there as well. The hops soon begin to dominate the taste, with prodominantly a citrus flavor. It is slightly heavy, as it comes across the palate at the beginning, then it gradually thins itself out. Drinkability, this is hop-head beer, though it was a tad disappointing I was expecting a stronger hoppiness in this beer.

3.59/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Color is good. It is nice an amber like a beautiful strawberry blond rockstar...disappointed in the froth..where is it?
S: Smell, citrus and bitter, yum.
T: About the same as the smell, but doesn't go much further.
M: There is a odd smoothness to this beer..and then BAM bitterrr. It tastes good, but it lingers like a cheap beer.
D: The taste and the mouthfeel combine to create a drinkable beer that you could drink really fast and get into trouble.

3.59/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a pristine bright amber. Nice foamy white head that quickly dissipates.

Smells of a lot of caramel and bread. Not quite the hop smell I was expecting for a beer named Hercules.

Sweet and piny up front. Slightly normalized hop flavor. Not as highly as many of the Imperials and Double's out, but not bad. Citrusy, bitter finish.

Slightly sticky, medium bodied.

Love double IPA's and this beer is good. It's just not what I was expecting. I think it's missing just a little something.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Had this at the Pub along with some Pizza from the cart outside since they don't serve food there. :-(

Bready caramel malt, some grapefruit citrus, and almost a woody malt flavor. Coming from the west coast, I found this a rather lacking DIPA. Earthy, dry and a bit too malty.

Not a bad beer by any means but not memorable. The 16th anniversary wood aged DIPA on the other hand was much better.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Straight pour from 12oz pry-off bottle to a 25cl Duvel Single tulip; bottling date of November 7, 2012 printed in white ink in the bottom-right corner of the label in a small box (“BOTTLED ON: NOV 07 2012”). That makes this beer a day under four weeks old on the date of consumption.

Appearance (4.0): Close to two fingers of custard-colored foam rise off of the pour, which dies down slowly and leaves some thick lacing on the sides with some pretty good, evenly-distributed retention. The body is a satisfying deep amber color with ruby undertones—looks as rich as it smells.

Smell (3.5): Surprisingly boozy, there are some light citrus tones mixed with pine resin amidst a rather alcoholic grain character—smells like what I’d imagine a “blonde barleywine” would smell like, honestly. It’s not unpleasant, but it’s boozy for the style (not shocking at 10% ABV) and lighter on the kind of hop character I was hoping for.

Taste (3.5): Follows the nose, almost to a T. Much boozier than I was anticipating, and much more restrained in the hop department. Again, tastes barleywine-ish without the dark and stone fruit tones. A lot of toasted wheat bread with some caramel undertones; the toasted character melds well with some solid pine / resin bitterness, but I’m not getting a lot of the characteristic American hop flavors (tropical fruits, weed, etc.) I anticipated. More pine resin, in that department, which I do enjoy. But it’s countered heavily by that boozy, grainy malt body, which also has some stone fruit character (apricots, plums) but not the darkness you’d expect from a barleywine (rich breads, raisins, toffee, etc.).

Mouthfeel (4.0): Pretty good feel: boozy and slightly syrupy, but with enough hop oil to dry it out significantly toward the end. Modest carbonation expands the body moderately on the way down without tingling much, but it does have a spicy feel. Again, drinks more like a light barleywine, but for a DIPA at 10% ABV that sounds about right.

Overall (3.5): To be honest, I was hoping this would drizzle resin and pineapple juice on my face right before it ripped it off, but my face is still more or less intact. Thankfully, I guess. There’s JUST enough piny, resinous character in the hop profile for me, but honestly it’s just not what a DIPA should be, in my mind. Did I enjoy it? Definitely. Did I love it? No. Was it nice and malty with a strong hop character? Sure. But it was not quite to my taste, and not something I’d necessarily try again, as far as my tastes in DIPAs go.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep, transparent copper with glowing pumpkin highlights while raising a half-inch head of tight, off-white foam. An attractive ring of delicate lace is left after my first sip, but, curiously, not on any subsequent sips. There are few solid, lethargic trails of carbonation. First aromas are of brown sugar maltiness doing a good job of keeping PNW hop astringency in check. After a stronger swirl of the glass, however, the hops display citrus and pollen--so much, in fact, that combined with the dryness of the nosefeel, I feel like I'm snorting goldenrod. Even less pleasant is the fact that the citric elements here are artificial and solvent, like orange cleaning spray. (See my review of GD's Yeti.) The hops work better in the flavor, offering tons of pine sap flavor highlighted by unsweetened mint and genever, pulling towards a powerful cedary bite. The malt flavors (wheat and raw clover honey) are in the sediment--so pour it! Mouthfeel is oily and coating where some carbonation would help. Furthermore, the drinkability is impeded by the aftertaste, which is just too long--it simply doesn't know when to just dry up and gracefully depart. Another competent but seriously overrated beer from this brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a rich copper color with a lasting one inch head. The nose is abound sweet fruit, hops, and a bit of citrus. While the mouthfeel is thick and enjoyable, there is something a bit amiss here. The hops are a bit subdued by the overpowering malt. All of the flavor sits on the front of this beer- its balanced flavor is completely lost on the finish and, especially for a DIPA, loses its effectiveness. With that said, it's definitely not a beer to avoid, but it may not live up to the expectations of an avid IPA enthusiast. Not regrettable, but there are better brews out there.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a Stone IPA glass.

Appearance - Pours amber in color with a creamy light-tan head about two fingers tall. Has good retention and good lacing as you drink. The beer is very clear slow-moving carbonation.

Smell - Musty grain aromas with mild tropical hops as well. Moderate lemon/lime citrus as well. Slight alcohol on the nose.

Taste - More musty grain in flavor this time. A fairly equal mixture of resiny/bitter hops and tropical fruity hops with citrus all around. Alcohol comes through a bit more in the middle. Mild earthiness shows up and the beer takes on an overall caramel/grain character with a touch of the formerly mentioned hop flavors for the finish. More earthy flavors in the aftertaste with lingering hops and grain. Moderate alcohol throughout.

Mouthfeel - Well-structured carbonation, smooth and massaging in nature. The beer is medium/full-bodied and quite smooth and viscous.

Drinkability - Moderate hop levels and some musty flavors as well that some may find objectionable. Overall decent drinkability can be assigned to this beer.

I was overall a little let down with this beer. However, I did let this beer sit in my refrigerator for about six months, and I know I should drink and IPA or DIPA as fresh as possible. Oh well, just a warning to those reading my review. Overall it was a decent DIPA, but certainly not on the same level as other (most notably the Dreadnaught from Three Floyds.) Worth a shot, and probably recommended to must have if this beer truly is worlds better if it's more fresh.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

A: dark copper color, didn't have much of a head at all

S: very hoppy, pine smell too it.

M: has a mild carbonation, leaves a bitter aftertaste as well as a chewy feeling in your mouth.

T: a bitter, piney, caramel taste. Has a heavy taste of hops, typical of an IPA.

O: this is a pretty good beer. It has almost an overwhelming hoppy/bitter taste to it. It is also a strong beer, with a 10% ABV so it can sneak up on you quickly. Overall, a good beer, though not the best IPA that I have ever had.

Beer was served from a bottle into a glass mug

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Pours a translucent, deep amber in color with a thick, creamy, white head atop that dissipates to a thin layer of cream and leaves plenty of lacing as you drink. Carbonation levels look perfect.

S: Surprisingly lots of malt on the nose; caramel, brown sugar, some light fruits, maybe grape and apple, and an underlying earthiness not unlike fresh cut grass. Slight floral, pine and citrus hop presence.

T: Again, caramel and brown sugar malts, light fruits and fresh cut grass mixed with pine resin and a bit of citrus. Finishes crisp and dry with bitterness. A bit sour and acidic; even though the bitterness must be coming from the hops, I found it hard to detect prominent pine or citrus notes. The alcohol is definitely present, which might be contributing to some of the acidity.

M: Smooth with a medium body, ample carbonation and a bit of creaminess. There is a slight oily quality from the hops, but it remains quite thin. Goes down easy enough, but really sticks to the back of the tongue and lingers for a bit.

O: This is a quality brew, but I'm afraid it's not for me. The higher alcohol content mixed with the lingering bitterness just made this too acidic and unbalanced for my palate and it sit heavy in my stomach. Took me quite awhile to finish off the bottle and I don't think I'll be seeking this one out again. That said, I'm sure this will please hop enthusiasts seeking a higher ABV. As my introduction to this brewery I was a little disappointed, but I'm pretty sure it's due to the style since the craft seemed top notch. Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours up three fingers of thick frothy head that lingers forever over a hazy copper brew with visible carbonation.

S - Pine hops, vanilla and caramel malt. Faint alcohol meshes with the pine.

T - Pine, caramel malt and alcohol. Aftertaste has a moderately potent pine bitterness to it. Abv is undetectable. It is a bit sweeter than I would have liked. All and all, it is a bit rough here. Maybe sitting for a year or two would mellow it out a bit.

M - Syrupy thick, smooth and only slightly refreshing. Gums in my throat a bit.

D - It is a pretty good double IPA, but it loses some points from being syrupy thick and too sweet. It is a great beer, no doubt in my mind. I think there are better examples in the style though.

3.57/5  rDev -13.6%

Beige head, beautiful, beautiful. Compact, beautiful color.
Hop smell, fresh, herbal. Good. Musky notes. A strong hoppy. Not too america, maybe.
At the taste: hop, well. Yes. And bitterness. Good, too.
85 IBU, and well, you can feel it.
Musky notes, and resinousous. Piney.
Goo, but not exceptional drinkability.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company