Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros

chadwicktorres, Sep 16, 2014

redleg411, Jun 28, 2013

ajs4bd, Jul 13, 2012

Hrdqore, Mar 16, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Served at about 36F from a 12 oz amber bottle.

Poured thickly with a modest head leaving a very nice sheet of lacing on the sides. Looks dark amber and cloudy, can't see through it. Floaty bits there too.

Aroma is balanced with hops and malt.

First taste is a wallop of flavor, rich maltiness, strong bitterness, with a very sweet finish, followed by lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is interesting, very distinctly different flavors and feel on different parts of the tongue, variously sweet, creamy, bitter, astringent, effervescent.

The beer is drinkable, but this is a strong beer and it would be hard to go through bottle after bottle. Plus, as it warms it loses its balance, and flavor seems to get a bit vegetative. I won't bother buying it again.

BattleRoadBrewer, Feb 18, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

I really wanted to like this. I like Great Divide, especially the Yeti and Fresh Hop. This one fell short for me.

A: Nice amber color and a bit murky, not much of a head. Looked appealing.

S: Smells like potato chips. You heard me. Potato chips. Did I get a bad bottle? Dunno, but I wasn't that impressed with the smell here. Sorry guys. My wife left me to the bottle (not that I was complaining @ ~10% ABV)

T: Not too bad, but not great. I was expecting more, but I'm not a fan of IPA's that taste like grain more than hops. I like hops if I'm drinking an IPA (double or not), and I didn't get them here. Reminded me a bit of the Great Divide Pale Ale I had on tap in Denver (not what I expected from a Pale, either. In fact the GD guys admitted that most people are expecting different taste based on the name). I think Hercules is just as misleading.

Maybe I didn't know what to expect from a "double IPA", but what I do know is that this is not what I expected, and not what I would get again when other choices are available.

M: Maybe a little more viscous than your typical ale. Again, not blown away.

O: Ah GD, how I love thee, but this just fell short. Especially at this price point. I know you call hoppy IPA's "west coast" IPA's, but if that's what people come to expect (as you admit yourself), then don't feel bad when our expectations fall short of your claims.

rightbrained, Oct 26, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

This brew pours a deep amber with a thick, caramel colored head. Good lacing down the side of my tulip glass as the beer is consumed. Has the smell of a strong and sweet floral hop and malt smells are very apparent, very nice. The taste has a great deal of roasted malts, almost to the point where it's sweet and bready. This pays a solid compliment to the very apparent floral hop blend presence - nicely balance bitter and sweetness. The mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied, slightly bitter, as there is a strong aftertaste to each sip.

HopEnthusiast, Mar 10, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

Aromas of citrus and resiny pine and herbal/vegetal hops. A smorgasbord of greenery here. A little bready and caramel maltiness, but not much.
The taste unfortunately follows the nose with the hops blasting your tastebuds, not balanced at all like I enjoyed my DIPAs. All hops here, extreme Simcoe and citrus hops are on show here which is pleasant for some, but not me. There almost should be a separate category of beers called Imperial IPA and Double IPA with one being balanced hops and malts and one having just a bunch of alcohol and bitterness (as is presented here). Too much alcohol and bitterness to be enjoyed for my taste buds.

claspada, Mar 12, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottled date not on the label in typical locale.

A: Orange-copper ale with less than a finger of creamy head which falls in a moment to a sheet of the same. spotty lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Sweet and nutty malts with nice earthy and citrus hops. Hints of toffee. Decent.

T: Sweetness of malts are countered with substantial hop bitterness. Fairly one-dimensional as a beer. Some hints of resin and maybe even a touch of mint?

M: Medium body with low carbonation. Silken feel. Dry finish.

O: Beer is good, easily drinakble for 10%ABV. The bottle date would have been nice, and likely would help me out on the judgment of the beer, but such as it is - face value. Not likely to buy again.

harrymel, May 25, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

Clear amber. Huge creamy off white head, and some okay lace.
Faint citrussy and piny hop aroma.
Toasty and bitter flavor. Very bitter citrussy flavor.
Creamy and nice mouthfeel, but the bitterness detracts a bit.
Decent beer, but far from my favorite DIPA.

BeerRun13, Jul 13, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

served into pint glass from brown long neck bottle with crimped on cap

Mirky reddish/orange color, I" thick head,thick creamy off-white with decent retention. and bits of lacing down the glass. Lots of large chunky particles floating throughout the beer.

Good, clean, very citrusy aroma,grapefruitty,good and strong,but not overpowering,notes of carmell come through the hoppiness.

Big citrus rind bite,grassy,sweet and syrupy,hot alcohol.Very carmelly midway through also a bit nutty,finishes with a lingering very sharp.very bitter lemony zest with a rind bite.

Cloying, thick mouthfeel,rough on the palate. Wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time of these. I like the Titan a lot better,kinda like the Two-Hearted as compaired to the Hopslam for me.
I've had a lot of DIPA's that I enjoyed more that this one. Would like to give this one another try sometime.

jcdiflorio, Jan 09, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours orange-red with a foamy white head. Leaves filmy lace on the glass long after the beer is gone. Smells quite hoppy, with a bit of grainy malt firmly in the background. Flavor is strongly hoppy. Plenty of north-american hops and *very* little else going on here. Just hops from start to finish. Medium-bodied and highly carbonated in the mouth.

Kind of boring and simplistic in my opinion. Tons of hops. That's all folks.

dgallina, May 14, 2005

12 oz bottle

My second attempt at liking this beer, my second time failing.

It pours a very murky orange color with a small, very sticky white head, lots of large floaties. Big grapefruit and spicy citrusy hops, some alcohol on the nose as well as a sweet malt presence. The beer attacks first with a short, but bright burst of resiny hops, followed by a very muddy and sweet malt profile, wood notes and lots of armpit funk, chewy and syrupy body, the combination of its thick body and chunky appearance doesnt sit well with the subconscious, theres better options for the style, way better. Two bad bottles? i hope not...

ATPete, Sep 11, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -24.9%

On-tap at Eureka!Burger Claremont

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a creamy off-white head.

S: Definitely on the sweet side for an IPA with lots of caramel and toffee aromas. There's a mild citrus hop aroma along with a fair amount of pineapple. Some other sweet fruits also make an appearance.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor is also quite sweet. Plenty of brown sugar, caramel, and toffee are prsent. There is a fairly mild hop character and very little bitterness. Minimal citrus and fruit flavors wth a bit of grass and alcohol.

M: The body is medium to full with medium carbonation.

O: Overly sweet and not all that hoppy. That's not a combination I look for in an IPA.

womencantsail, Jul 05, 2011
3.12/5  rDev -24.5%

Nichols33, Nov 18, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Perhaps unfair, I tried this after having Evil Twin’s Molotov Cocktail.  Unremarkable at the time, it seemed as though it wasn’t malty or hoppy enough to be a DIPA.  I judge all my DIPAs against Heady, and this seemed thin and lacking flavor.  I’ll have to revisit it on a fresh palate to give it another whirl and see if my initial impressions were correct, but for now, there are many other DIPAs I’ll reach for (hello Dirtwolf!)

taylor714914, Dec 20, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

I played 18 holes of golf today, so I wanted to celebrate. Nothing beats celebrating with a BIG bottle of beer with a TON of booze. This beer is 10% ABV, and is just loaded with flavor. I have had it before, but it was a LONG time ago. Why am I using so many CAPITAL letters tonight? Who cares. I am ready to drink.

In the Glass: This is a healthy looking IPA. It is rich in copper color and produces a very thick head. The head is white, and sits on top for a LONG time. There I go again with the capital letters. I will stop. No more. Anyway, this looks like a good strong IPA. A double IPA perhaps! (It is fair for me to put IPA in all caps… that is the point!)

Nose: For a beer that has this much booze and is loaded with that many IBUs, I expected a more overwhelming nose. But it is weak. Their Titan IPA smells a lot better. But I am hoping the aroma starts to come out when this beer heats up. We pulled this from the fridge, so it is ice cold.

Flavor: The flavor is also not what I expected. As the tasting notes say, it is very well balanced. The flavor is never overwhelming and slides from the front of the palate and into the aftertaste without much focus on hops. I am surprised that this beer is just exploding with flavor… but maybe that is the point. They focused more on the overall enjoyment rather than making this a “knock your socks off” kind of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite boring. There is a subtle hint of hops on the back of the palate, but is is quick and isn’t obvious. You can smell as you drink to get more of the citrus notes that you expect… but the flavor is just polished (it makes sense when you drink it) from the start to the finish. This is like a domestic for a fan of IPAs.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste. It is smooth all the way through, and the aftertaste is pretty boring. Now, having said all that… the beer is good. It is solid. It is… you got it, polished. It doesn’t have to be a big punch of hops that knocks me over. I wanted that, but the beer is good. The booze isn’t obvious either.

I like Great Divide, and while I had higher exceptions, this one is still a good IPA from a great portfolio of beers.

Hercules Double IPA - The bottle says: “HERCULES DOUBLE IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for gods. HERCULES delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish. Its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile. 85 IBUs.”

rickyleepotts, May 18, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

I can see why many like this beer--it's very flavorful and it wakes up your mouth, which seems to be a strength of Great Divide brews in general. But it is way too sweet for an IPA--or dipa in this case. It's like a saccharine, syrupy European fall-winter beer, with a touch of a hop bite. Bottle copy says Hercules "is not for the faint of heart...delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish." Um, no. It's sweet as candy and the supposed 85 IBUs are totally masked. Appearance also not good in my six-month-old bottle--many floaties.

Cobrito, Oct 08, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Appearance - The beer is very cloudy, with a dirty copper and apricot hue.

Aroma - I was expecting a stronger hop nose with this beer. I could detect a bit of an orange scent, but was also picking up a strong alcohol smell. In the background there was a fresh-baked bread smell.

Taste - There is a definite strong bitterness which is of course part of this style. However I found it to be somewhat unpleasant compared to other double IPAs. I could not detect any pine or citrus. I got more of a strong grassy bitter flavor. There is also a bready, biscuit taste mixed in, and I thought I might have even detected some caramel - but it was quickly overpowered by the bitterness.

The mouthfeel is full with a dry finish. I did not find this beer that drinkable. It was ok, but I found the bitterness in this one harsh. This is my favorite style of beer and I was really looking forward to this tasting. I was a bit disappointed by the result.

westweasel, Feb 05, 2007