2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,034 | Reviews: 1,465 | Show All Ratings:
theboozecruise

Louisiana

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Another super hoppy IPA on my last trip to Texas.

The phrase I used to describe this one in my notepad was "hoppy as fuck" so I'm going to stick with it!

The beer pours a gold-amber color... white head, lots and lots of hops giving all sorts of grapefruit and citrus flavors as well as pine.

One of the best IIPAs I've ever tried, will certainly look for this one again on the next trip to Texas.

07-16-2010 19:29:10 | More by theboozecruise
cattersley

Ontario (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Dude... this was amazing! A beer trade from a new friend visiting for the Toronto International Film festival from Colorado... Faint hops smell, it give nothing away to the fact of when tasting this you are gob-smacked with flavour! The colour, light golden brown, such a well balance between the hops and malt, very little left on the palate, hops going down within minutes. 10% abv? Really, I wouldn't have thought this. Initial taste, hope right at the tip and sides of the tongue, then a toffee/caramel malt blend right in the centre of your tongue. This was fantastic!

12-21-2012 23:40:21 | More by cattersley
zeff80

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours out a clody, copper/orange color with a 2 finger head. It left great lacing.

S - It smelled of hops, hops and more hops.

T - An amazing blend of hops, bitterness, malt and grassy flavors. The alcohol was also very present.

M - It is crisp and medium-bodied.

D - This is an amazing beer. I must get more. It is powerful and a great drink.

09-05-2006 03:30:30 | More by zeff80
filabrazilia

Colorado

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I went over to my buddies house this evening and he unveiled this fantastic gift from his fridge. Easter came early for this kid.

Pours a semi-clear copperish orange with a full off white head. Absolutely wonderful lace adheres to the glass with each sip.

There is a floral and citrus hop aroma that greets the nose with a hearty hello. A strong carmel malt sweetness is also present in the nose.

The blast of hops that assaults the mouth are balanced by an exceptionally sweet malty finish. The bitter citurs and floral hop flavor is complemented nicely by the rich carmel malts.

This is a full bodied beer that is rich and chewy in the mouth. The memory of the texture lingers long after the last sip of this wonderful elixir. There is a barleywine-like quality to this imperial ipa. This is a fantastic brew that would stand in for a quality hopped barleywine.

This is an infinitely drnkable beer that will make a regular appearance on my beer list. A great offering from the folks at great divide. What a beer!

04-11-2004 03:09:18 | More by filabrazilia
maxpower

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber pours hazy glowing amber-orange color with a thick creamy off-white head that leaves a nice lace in my glass. Sharp hoppy aroma of grapefruit and pine, resinous sticky pine and grapefruit flavors , has a full thick, sticky and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that finishes with a lingering bitterness, has a good malt balance, this really reminds me of Three Floyd's Dreadnaught.

04-24-2004 20:13:24 | More by maxpower
silenius

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Ah Hercules! A contemporary of my avatar namesake! A name befitting this robust and strong beer. The gods must have had a hand in the creation of this brew! A balance of the mortal and immortal!

The paper label is actually pretty lame I think. At least they didn't put some guy on there in a loincloth wrestling a lion.

The beer pours a color that is definitely on the red side of orange. Hazed and uniform, but see-through. The head is thin and off-white. But the lacing! I'm not sure "lacing" does an adequate job to describe what is on the sides of my glass. More like "plastering" or "sheeting" or "painting" because the sides of my glass were absolutely coated with this beer's sticky goodness. Incredible.

Smell is definitely lighter than the taste. I get a light floral piney smell with some citrus in there and a little juniper. Good but not great.

Taste is huge and strong! Sweet malt citrus hops play back and forth in my mouth for a seriously long time. I can taste this beer minutes after drinking a sip. It starts out with a sweet mapley malt that quickly is coated in piney hops. Next is candied oranges and then a little ganja. Finally the beer comes to rest as a mellow candied pear lightly coated in bitter herbs. This is a serious beer here and deserves the 5.0 in taste I am giving it. The amount of time I can taste the beer in my mouth is staggering.

I'm gonna have to give this one a 5.0 in mouthfeel as well. This is a slick oily beer that slides down nicely with the carbonation adding a creamy feeling to it all. It is not thick, but slick. This is my perfect beer mouthfeel here.

The hugeness of this beer is a downfall, however. My palate tires of this after one bomber and I would be wasting the second if I had two in a row. After Hercules wrestles my tongue into states of taste ecstacy, it is worn and spent and needs rest before another round of this great brew.

06-30-2004 01:30:00 | More by silenius
ManekiNeko

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz. bomber served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange topped by a yellowish and frothy head. Very typical for this style in my experience. Foam dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles and leaves some thick sheets of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Powerful hop aromas of grapefruit and spruce. Faint caramel malts. Obviously, this is Titan on steroids.

Taste: Ultra bitter and tangy hopes on the start. Peppery, brash, citrusy, and sprucy. Just enough caramel malt sweetness to keep this tolerably balanced, but maybe not exquisitely so. This is an IIPA after all. Not quite as complex as Dreadnaught.
Mouthfeel: Solid and burly medium bodied beer with long lasting aftertastes.

Drinkability: Like it's namesake, this is powerful and strong. A great IIPA. Dreadnaught, best be watchin' yer ass. Thankfully, finishing the bottle is not a Herculean feat.

07-05-2004 14:33:45 | More by ManekiNeko
futaboots

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter.

02-12-2005 04:15:35 | More by futaboots
RoyalT

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - This one came out of the bottle an intimidating, deep hazy orange with some brown influences. The liquid is thick, thick, thick. The color showed a lot of depth and was very inviting. The head was modest but well-tanned and left some nice lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell - This is a big, heavy, monster nose. There is just tons and tons of caramel and toffee in here. The hops are complex and huge as well. I can pick up some good pine sap along with some big citrus and a few other notes that give a lot of depth to this gigantic bouquet. All in all, this is one of the biggest, most-balanced ADIPA noses that I've ever smelled.

Taste - The taste follows the nose except the malts are noticeably dominant. For all the hops here, they take a back seat to the huge, luscious, gooey caramel and toffee malt presence.

Mouthfeel - This is big and full-bodied. I'm talking Pliny the Younger big. They should serve this at Ruth Chris' with a side of mashed potatoes. Forget the knife and fork; give me the classic 1970's-style electric turkey carving knife.

As big and chewy as this is, it's not overly dry. The finish has some dryness, but this one finishes with a super-sugary caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Eatability - Don't try to drink Hercules with a meal like I did. This is your dinner.

Comments - What a great treat! I'll offer a big thumbs up to BuckeyeNation for sending this out my way.

Update - They finally got this in SoCal in the fall of 2010. This is an amazing beer to say the least. The head was much improved from my initial review, which leads me to believe that the beer suffered a bit from the trip from Ohio. That said, the balance of this ale is amazing and the flavors are beyond reproach. There's really nothing else like it out there in the beer world. It makes the case for a huge DIPA but with grass and flowers instead of the triple C's and gooey malts. It is like no other double that I've ever had and is in a class all by itself. Especially unique is the nose that is very herbal and spicy yet also has a classic DIPA aroma. The aftertaste BTW will entertain you for hours.

05-04-2005 01:39:05 | More by RoyalT
kozmo

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages!

11-12-2005 01:07:16 | More by kozmo
DarkerTheBetter

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a honey amber with a high frothy tan head.

Smelled of honey, molasses, wheat, bread dough and bubblegum with only a mild but obvious hop undertone.

The flavor is delightfully understated with a smooth caramel and light molasses malt whose sweetness fades into an intense orange and pine dryness that finishes with a slight caramel and a pleasant dryness.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light smooth carbonation.

12-30-2005 19:27:18 | More by DarkerTheBetter
NJpadreFan

Great Divide- Hercules Double IPA

Appearance- golden reddish brown with a big fluffy thick head. Sticky head laced the glass all the way down.
Smell- Huge hops. Pungent Grapefruit and orange rind. Big pine infused throughout.
Taste- Big sweet oily pine with a nice blend of grapefruit. Alcohol is noticeable.
Mouthfeel- First few sips there is a big bitterness kick up front but eventually the beer settles into a nice sweet pine IPA. Mellows out considerablely throughout.

Overall- A nice big IPA. A big flavor beer that holds on til the end. Definitely buy this and drink up!!

11-07-2006 22:06:44 | More by NJpadreFan
hckyfn9999

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy fiery orangish amber color with a nice off-white head with some good lacing.

Aroma is sweet bready and carmely malt along with some spicy citrus and piney hops. There is also some alcohol present in the nose as the beer warms.

This is very well balanced for a double IPA. While the hops are definitely well represented for all hopheads the malt has a strong showing as well. There are notes of toffee, caramel, sweet bread, grapefruit and some pine. The more the beer warms, the more the hops come out.

Mouthfeel is full and pleasantly carbonated; pretty smooth and almost creamy.

Hard to believe there is 9% ABV here, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. A great Double IPA.

12-12-2006 02:04:37 | More by hckyfn9999
TheSarge

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I've been craving for the last three months. A great IPA, a double none the less. The Mighty Herc is richly full of the aromas that make a great IPA, well, great. Very piny and grassy, and a bit lemony too.

When poured this produces a beautiful tight head, about two fingers thick into my pint glass. The body is ultra hazy and is orangish amber in color. The head sticks very well to the glass all the way through.

The taste of this brew is awesome. It is one of the most perfect IPAs I've had. Of course it's been a while, but damn this has the perfect balance of pine and sweet molasses at the same time. Very warming to the palate.

Like I've said, it's been a while since I've had an IPA let alone a double, but you've got to give this a try.

08-21-2007 18:23:48 | More by TheSarge
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I decided to crack open my 22 oz. bomber of this tonight. This beer pours a nice amber color with a decent head (I probably would’ve had more head if it was a bit warmer when I poured it). It is also not cloudy like their Titan IPA. The smells are of mainly malty goodness, but there’s a bit of a piney citrusy hops scent as well.

The taste and drinkability are where it’s at. This beer is a perfectly balanced double IPA. The flavors up front are of the sweet malts, perhaps some caramel malt. Down in back, you get the tingle of the hops, piney and citrusy, like the scent. Though the alcohol content is high, you don’t know it in the flavor. It feels a bit thicker and heavier, but that’s to be expected. I have easily drunk most of this glass (and I still have about half the bottle left).

This beer is pure pleasure. If you like IPA’s and you want to move onto bigger beers, this is a great start and finish (though I would still recommend trying more and more). I have definitely found my favorite double IPA.

10-04-2007 23:03:21 | More by RunawayJim
wardough

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.
A: Awesome maple syrupy color. Very light head that leaves almost no lacing on top.

S: Pears and lemons dominate it for me.

T: Sweet, followed by mellow hops, then piney at the end. Wow.

M: Feels like nice full milk on the mouth. Very smooth

D: It goes down very smooth

Overall, a great beer that is very drinkable. I love this beer, as it is very well balanced.

11-08-2007 00:17:02 | More by wardough
bark

Sweden

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

The colour is deep amber-brown; the low head sinks quickly down to an off white ring. Some lacing.

The smell is surprisingly creamy and balanced: There are of course lots of citric hops here; mostly grape fruits and lemon peels, but also some tangerines. There are some sweet notes of raw beef and a hint of vanilla ice cream.

The taste is… Oooohhhh, this is great stuff! At fist, there are some sweet fruity notes, but it is soon replaced by massive grape fruit bitterness. It is kind of that sourness one experience when tasting a little citric acid – it is all over the mouth and it won’t let go! There are some lightly chemical flavours of oil colour and wax, but those are just minor nuances in the sour-bitter landscape. The aftertaste is bitter with some citric sourness, a light sweetness and a hint of broth and meat. It is very very long lasting. The finish is bitter.

The carbonation is strong, but not too strong. Fresh small bubbles; the liquid is medium thick.

As I said earlier, this IS great stuff. Aggressive with lots of attitude, but it is still balanced in an odd way. This is certainly one of the best American brews I have reviewed so far!

11-14-2007 22:59:17 | More by bark
ruckzuck

Georgia

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow I love this beer so much.

A - cloudy amber with a white head that disappeared

S - sweet, citrusy, hoppy

T - a bit of initial sweetness, hops immediately take over and bitterness comes in and is absolutely lovely

M - medium body; nice carbonation; hoppy; bitter; great!

D - Oh wow. I do love this beer. So strong, so tasty, and so drinkable. I could drink this all night and always enjoy my nights at the pub when this is on tap. Definitely one of my favorite beers. If you haven't tried this yet what are you doing on BA!? Get on it!

12-01-2007 06:13:56 | More by ruckzuck
HotHabanero

Denmark

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with an amber colour and with a nice off-white head. Aroma of floweris, green, earthy hops and caramel. Citrus and caramel flavour with lot of hops. Honey texture. Full bodied. The strong alcohol is just present. Long nice finish. Very enjoyable.

03-09-2008 18:08:21 | More by HotHabanero
righlander

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

pours a super cloudy dark amber from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass. smells super hopped and malted up. a lot going on in the smell. maybe some caramel lots of hops. taste is super bitter alcohol malty hoppy madness. not as alcohol tasting as one would think. very balanced tasting. a monster sweet malt assault with some extremely well balanced but very bold hop character. tastes awesome, just how you want an IPA to be. I imagine this is how the first IPA's were. mouth feel light carb easy to drink but, at 9.1% i can only handle a 22oz so drinkability not so good for me.
exceptional brew.

This beer has become my new favorite IPA. It's amazing. This has become my new standard for IPA's. This beer is a must try for IPA lovers in my opinion.
excellent excellent excellent!
ALL BOW TO THE KING! HERCULES DOUBLE IPA!

05-29-2008 03:19:03 | More by righlander
CampusCrew

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: golden amber reddish hues,

smell: loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: like hops of course, this beer is loaded with it. very solid double with heavy grapefruit flavor

mouthfeel: thin not thick. good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth. and goes great with spicy snacks or meals.

05-09-2009 14:56:52 | More by CampusCrew
BigMike

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Hercules Double IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for the gods"

I can't remember a better looking, better smelling IPA then Hercules.

Pours a beautiful dark amber orange with a nice thick and creamy picture perfect two finger head with tremendous lacing.

The aroma is amazing. Caramel, toffee, roasted almonds. Roasted nuts are in the forefront.

The flavor is just like the smell except even nuttier. This is a great change of pace from the other Double IPA's i've had. This is definitely unique and in a league of its own.

Hops, Malts, sweetness, bitterness. This beer has it all. My first beer from Great divide, but most definitely not my last.

05-21-2009 00:44:25 | More by BigMike
Chadpaq

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at The Pizza Peel. Let me just say: This local establishment has stepped their game up, big-time.

Fairly big head. The beer itself resembles some sort of crystalline-amber color that's allowing minimal amounts of light to penetrate. One of the prettier DIPAs I've seen. The head's very resilient, and hardly wants to recede at all! I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. I'm getting a little impatient. I'll settle for a frothy mustache I suppose...

I can hardly take a full inhalation of this beer, it's so darn floral. That's a good thing, don't worry. I'm nearly knocked back in my booth from all of the hops entering my nasal cavity. Let's taste her already!

Oh yeah. Just as I expected. A nearly-perfect balance of hops to carbonation, with only minimal malty traces, something that is crucial for me. Granted, this is a double, but the malt is still very discreet. At 10%abv, I have no idea how Great Divide pulled it off...then again, this is why they're one of the big guns in the microbrew industry.

I could literally session this stuff. I think this is the best Double IPA I have ever had. I haven't had Pliny, but man, I feel like this could give it a run for its money. Props to The Pizza Peel for keeping this baby on tap!

11-29-2010 00:17:21 | More by Chadpaq
AMoriarty

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice amber colored beer that is served in a snifter with a small frothy head that dissipates quickly, often by the time I get it from the bartender.

The taste is a little malty/sweet right off the bat followed by a strong bitter taste of fresh piney and citrusy hops that lingers. The beer is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth.

At nearly 10% you might expect a strong alcohol flavor but I think it is well balanced by the hops and isn't readily apparent. I always get to the bottom of my glass wishing there was more in it, but knowing that I've drank more than a traditional beer's worth of alcohol

The smell of this beer is probably my favorite part. You get the aroma of the hops mixed with a mild sweetness and the combination I love.

A local bar with 40 taps and over 500 different beers usually has this one on tap and every time I go I try to get something new but I always end up getting one of these before I leave.

This is probably one of the beers that made me fall in love with Imperial IPA's so if you're a fan of the style definitely give it a try.

07-13-2011 09:10:48 | More by AMoriarty
RCK86

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Poured a translucent deep caramel with some auburn notes into my Victory tulip. Fairly effervescent with a thick light caramel head that dissipates quickly (less than a minute) and leaves lacing about half as high as the head was.

S: Sweet and hoppy with some orange-y notes. Alcohol comes in at the end, but only faintly.

T: Quite hoppy, but not in an overpowering way. The citrus in the smell didn't really come through in the taste as much as I was expecting. There's a smokey note in here as well, but it took me a few sips to pick up on it. Maybe I've trained my taste buds to ignore booze, but I barely tasted any alcohol here; it only registers in finish, and certainly not in the way most 10%-ers do. The sweetness hits you a second or two after you finish your sip and stays with you for a while.

M: Oh, man is this stuff smooth. Wow. Goes down easier than about any beer I've ever tried--certainly easier than anything of similar gravity and style. The brew coats your tongue and lingers in the same way as scotch or bourbon.

O: Awesome stuff. So, so, so smooth. I can't stress that aspect enough. But for the buzz I had after one glass, I'd have had no idea I was drinking a 10%-er. I could session this, no joke. I'll be recommending this one to friends who want to try a "bigger" beer but aren't ready for some of the more overtly alcoholic offerings out there. That's not AT ALL to say that this is a "rookie" beer, though. It's quite complex and includes a lot of flavor notes that I can't properly articulate. Excellent stuff.

06-23-2012 18:18:00 | More by RCK86