Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,946
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

This is a dark amber leaning towards an almost light brown color. Creamy mouthfeel due to the heavenly off-white head. Smells of honey, sweet sweet honey. Very subdued yet alluring. The hops are very complex as well. Hard for me to decipher what's going on other than that this beer is well balance and tasted yummy. If only my palate was more refined...this is so smooth and refined for a double IPA!

Nutty, yet sweet malt profile. One word...heavenly. Hints of caramel as well?

Quoting/reading the bottle afterwards..."Huge amount of hops from start to finish, its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile." 85 IBU's

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Poured a translucent deep caramel with some auburn notes into my Victory tulip. Fairly effervescent with a thick light caramel head that dissipates quickly (less than a minute) and leaves lacing about half as high as the head was.

S: Sweet and hoppy with some orange-y notes. Alcohol comes in at the end, but only faintly.

T: Quite hoppy, but not in an overpowering way. The citrus in the smell didn't really come through in the taste as much as I was expecting. There's a smokey note in here as well, but it took me a few sips to pick up on it. Maybe I've trained my taste buds to ignore booze, but I barely tasted any alcohol here; it only registers in finish, and certainly not in the way most 10%-ers do. The sweetness hits you a second or two after you finish your sip and stays with you for a while.

M: Oh, man is this stuff smooth. Wow. Goes down easier than about any beer I've ever tried--certainly easier than anything of similar gravity and style. The brew coats your tongue and lingers in the same way as scotch or bourbon.

O: Awesome stuff. So, so, so smooth. I can't stress that aspect enough. But for the buzz I had after one glass, I'd have had no idea I was drinking a 10%-er. I could session this, no joke. I'll be recommending this one to friends who want to try a "bigger" beer but aren't ready for some of the more overtly alcoholic offerings out there. That's not AT ALL to say that this is a "rookie" beer, though. It's quite complex and includes a lot of flavor notes that I can't properly articulate. Excellent stuff.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Cloudy deep cooper/orange color with a nice pillowy, bone white head that does not go away and leaves some awesome lacing all over the sides of the glass. Nose is dominated by pine & citrus with a strong malt sweetness evident as well - quite a nice smell, actually. Wow, this is a balanced DIPA - huge citric hops up front that segue into caramel malt richness and ends with a dry grapefruit-like finish - excellent stuff. Mouthfeel is thick, almost chewy; really great for this style. At 9%, this stuff could kick your ass if you lose track - it's really awesome. Highest recommendation.

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%

Ah Hercules! A contemporary of my avatar namesake! A name befitting this robust and strong beer. The gods must have had a hand in the creation of this brew! A balance of the mortal and immortal!

The paper label is actually pretty lame I think. At least they didn't put some guy on there in a loincloth wrestling a lion.

The beer pours a color that is definitely on the red side of orange. Hazed and uniform, but see-through. The head is thin and off-white. But the lacing! I'm not sure "lacing" does an adequate job to describe what is on the sides of my glass. More like "plastering" or "sheeting" or "painting" because the sides of my glass were absolutely coated with this beer's sticky goodness. Incredible.

Smell is definitely lighter than the taste. I get a light floral piney smell with some citrus in there and a little juniper. Good but not great.

Taste is huge and strong! Sweet malt citrus hops play back and forth in my mouth for a seriously long time. I can taste this beer minutes after drinking a sip. It starts out with a sweet mapley malt that quickly is coated in piney hops. Next is candied oranges and then a little ganja. Finally the beer comes to rest as a mellow candied pear lightly coated in bitter herbs. This is a serious beer here and deserves the 5.0 in taste I am giving it. The amount of time I can taste the beer in my mouth is staggering.

I'm gonna have to give this one a 5.0 in mouthfeel as well. This is a slick oily beer that slides down nicely with the carbonation adding a creamy feeling to it all. It is not thick, but slick. This is my perfect beer mouthfeel here.

The hugeness of this beer is a downfall, however. My palate tires of this after one bomber and I would be wasting the second if I had two in a row. After Hercules wrestles my tongue into states of taste ecstacy, it is worn and spent and needs rest before another round of this great brew.

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 3/25/13. Poured into a chalice.

This is not a DIPA. It is too malty, not hop heavy enough to be a DIPA and 10% ABV. It is an excellent, complex, well-balanced BARLEYWINE. And I have graded as a BW not a DIPA. Hercules DIPA will be a regular in my fridge.

A - Pours a clear dark amber color with a one-finger rocky head, which dissapates rather quickly (duh- high ABV). Average lacing.

S - Malty honey sweet, some floral and resinous notes, faint spiceness.

T - Malty sweet start with a balancing resiny bitterness. This is a barleywine.

MF - Smooth with some chewiness, med to heavy body.

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a copper color with not much head at all. The ring of bubbles around the rim leaves a sheet of lacing. There is a ton of floaties in this one. I would have given it a slightly better grade if not for all the floaties and lack of head.

S: Pine and citrus hop aromas dominate the nose. Even though the hops dominate, the malt is still noticeable along with a hint of alcohol as well. This one smells fantastic.

T: What a wonderfully complex beer. The malt is forward which I didn't expect from the aroma. The initial malt taste is huge, almost barleywine-like. Then the hops start to come in and fill the mouth with a nice bitterness that isn't overpowering. The alcohol is well hidden but comes through as its rolled in the mouth. The after taste is a pleasant oily bitterness. I enjoyed licking the inside of my cheeks after I swallowed the beer.

M: It has a medium body. The carbonation makes it creamy in the mouth if rolled vigorously on the tongue.

D: With the hidden alcohol and excellent balance, I could really knock these back. Of course, it would likely knock back since it is over 9%.

This is a very good beer. It is the most balanced DIPA that I can recall trying.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Amber color with a slight red hue and a creamy off white head that stays throughout the glass and leaves very nice lacing. Grapefruit and pineapple and a bit of lemon flow through my nose leaving me to wonder if anything could smell better. Taste is full of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and a little bit of caramel in there. A slight alcohol presence. Less than average carbonation and medium bodied, paired quite well. An exceptional brew and very fairly priced to boot. I'll be picking up more of this, try it if you can.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Golden apricot colored, a bit hazed, with a thick and frothy head that has dimples and craters and bubbles in varying sizes. Wavy rings of lace encircle the insides of the glass as I drain it. Aroma is thick and grainy and sugary, sweet and sultry, with honey and sweet tangerine and ripe fruits. A thick and full mouthfeel leads to a swirling array of flavors that weave in and out - sweet citrus and honey, followed by cotton candy sugar and pine. The hops are big in a combination of citrus and floral, with a strong malt base riding beneath. A delicate alcohol tingle warms the sides of the cheeks and creeps up the back of the nose. I find this very drinkable, though I'm sipping so as to savor every drop and not get knocked off the chair. Many thanks to Brent for sharing such an amazing beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Golden copper color with about an inch of off white head. Already looks tasty.

Smell: Heavenly. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, and of course hops. Glorious hops. Not even a trace of the 10% ABV in the nose.

Taste: Very similar to the smell with the only difference being the slight warming in your throat from the 10%. Still can't taste it though. My favorite IPA so far.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy. Excellent.

Very drinkable especially considering the ABV.

Overall I would highly recommend this.

An excellent Big beer
Recently tried the 22 oz serving;
they say its not for the faint of heart
the wonderfully pungent hopping
is certainly....

it is very well balanced
with the malty backbone lending a sweet, rich and slightly (just slightly) sugary
to the enormous hop whop
sensation of pine, grass, citrus, and floral
drinkability is exceptional
and pleasently too easy
given the high ABV

one could almost get drunk
without knowing it!

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Big nose for a big beer. This really is one of the finest Double IPA's I've had in awhile. Citrusy, floral, balanced and smooth as Lando Calrassian. The 9.0% alcohol is barely noticeable but the levels of complexity make this a big beer with a high IBU. This might even be better than I2PA or 90 minute.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Yet another big beer that makes objectivity difficult.
Still, this is very well made as far as my senses can detect.
Smooth and surprisingly well balanced... big hop flavor without it being aggressive; a good malt backbone to stand up to so much rich hoppyness.
Rich and luxurious all around... if a bit heavy/dense.
If only this was readily available on the east coast...
ohhh if only.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Had on tap at Lord Hobo- pours a slightly hazy orange/copper color with a finger head, nice retention, and pretty white lacing.

Smell is nice, hoppy and open. Kinda subdued but very attractive- floral and pine hop scents with a touch of malt sweetness.

Tastes excellent- moderate hop bitterness, good pale malt backbone, floral and pine hops well balanced with malt. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel is excellent as well- medium bodied with light carbonation. A decent amount of hop resin. Exceptional DIPA- seek it out!

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Grabbed this bad boy at a Yokes in Ponderay, Idaho. From a 22 oz. brown bomber. Pours out a brilliant clear russet copper, lots of carbonation, thick creamy, spongy head with a whipped cream texture and an unfaltering retention. Chunky coral branches of lacing left in its wake. Gorgeous looking stuff.

The nose is fantastic, not overly intense, but rather an applaudable balance. Tangerine and ruby red grapefruit from the hops, followed at a distance by some sticky pine, and held up by a chewy, almost candy-like malt sweetness.

Nice balance in the flavour as well. Hops are let loose from the beginning, but almost equally matched with the malt, a smooth blending.
Biscuity and light caramel malt, creamy texture, slow rising of orange citrus in the middle along with some floral hops, building to a contained finish of pine and grapefruit rind, it really only starts ripping the tongue and palate in the aftertaste, almost as if it's on a delay. Dry white grapefruit rind in the aftertaste that quietly lingers and burns on.

Creamy, silky smooth mouthfeel, like a magic carpet ride across the tongue. The faintest of trace stickiness well into the aftertaste, but slick enough it barely hits the radar. This is rare for a double IPA, let alone an IPA.

Wow, and wow again, it was worth the hassle at the border to bring this back home. One of the smoothest and balanced IPA's I've ever had, let alone a double. No trace of alcohol content in the flavour whatsoever, it only really sinks in well after the bottle is empty. This stuff is alchemy, for once the hype on the label is correct, it *is* fit for the gods. We're not worthy...

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: pours a slightly hazy orange color with a thick 2+" head with several large bubbles that lasts quite a long time. Some moderate lacing develops. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising slowly to the surface.

Smell: lots of pinecones and citrus are easily detected by the nose.

Taste: nice malt backbone, caramel, orange sweetness, grapefruit tartness, pine bitterness, grass, and hints of alcohol. Well balanced as the flavor tones are all easily discernable.

Mouhtfeel: medium-heavy in body. Light crispness at the start, with a smooth, lightly crisp finish. Aftertaste is long on the pine bitterness and citrus tones.

Drinkability: the bomber bottle was quaffed rather quickly and I was looking for another, but I only bought one. Insanely good, just a great beer. A must buy.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours out a clody, copper/orange color with a 2 finger head. It left great lacing.

S - It smelled of hops, hops and more hops.

T - An amazing blend of hops, bitterness, malt and grassy flavors. The alcohol was also very present.

M - It is crisp and medium-bodied.

D - This is an amazing beer. I must get more. It is powerful and a great drink.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

First of all I would like to comment that I LOVE DIPAs, and all other "big" beers that come in 22oz bottles I feel by the time I’m done drinking it I have a really good feel for what the beer is all about. I poured this one out into one of my trusty pint glasses. Near-Perfect appearance for the style, the body is a ruddy copper color topped off with a creamy and sticky eggshell colored head, lacing clings in huge sheets down the pint. The nose on this one is a real sinus-cleanser, the hop aromas lean heavily towards the piney side but there are citrus and citrus peel aromas all very floral, green and resinous. This is of course all binded together by a sticky caramel smelling malt, any alcohol aromas are practically non-existant, which is suprising. In the mouth the malt is nice and stickily sweet, it is quickly over-powered by a dense and practically vibrating bitterness, citrus peel and resinous pine complete the voyage. Again, for the high ABV on this beer, the flavor is very well masked. Hercules is not too sweet which I find in some DIPAs and can become a bit annoying, I do however prefer them a tiny bit drier than is the case here. The mouthfeel is medium and a little sticky, carbonation is ultra-soft. A great representation of a style that I love dearly.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

What a hammer! Great brew to sip while watching football, inside or out. Yeah, 85 IBUs & 9.1%, still a small step for a stepper. Gorgeous hazy pumpkin orange pour, rich tan head. Oh yeah, very nice malty sweet sniff with florals, citrus and grapefruit. Loads of hops in the quaff, of course, but enough malts to balance quite well.

Tangy and rich, puts a little fire in the belly. $5.19 for a 750 bomber.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a beautiful copper amber with a thick which head about a half inch thick. The head seems to never want to recede but when it does it leaves a perfect lace on the glass. The nose of this beer has a strong hop character showing off some piney resin, citrus, and zesty fruit, and from the malt a little caramel makes it way through. There is also some alcohol in the very back of the aroma. Now for flavor this beer packs a punch and a half. Initially hops just smack around the pallate. They provide a zesty twang, with some piney flavors, and some citrus notes. Literally the hops just dominate initially and almost coat the mouth. Definetly a little oily resin in there. Malts work their way into the mix of this beer showing off some dough, biscuit, and caramel, but then the hops just come back. This beer finishes with some sweet citrus hops, and just the right amount of bitterness. God this is good. The mouthfeel of this beer is rich and flavorful with a wonderful creamy body. Just to repeat myself, god this is good!

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just Wow. I am really not the biggest IPA guy but this beer was just mind blowing. I hate an overly bitter beer. This beer has a biiter hop bite but the malt and floral balance that follow in the second mouthful makes one of the best beer experiences ever. Buy it, all of it.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange-brown color with two fingers of head. There is lots of lacing on the glass. The smell is nothing but citrusy and piney hops. A badass hop aroma that I never want to leave. It keeps drawing me in. The taste has just the slightest bit of sweet maltiness, but watch out cause it doesn't last long. Lots of juicy hops ready to own your palate like the bitch that it is. Great hop flavor, that's all there is to it. The body is very thick, yet smooth. The drinkability is awesome for a 9.1% brew. Flippin' awesome.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a coppery mid-brown into the pint glass. Lovely eggshell, 2-finger head swells, then recedes to a tenacious half-finger. Lovely looking.

Resinous, citric hops smack your nose awake and you go back for more. Further olfactory investigation reveals a myriad of dense malty goodness which when melded with the massive hop profile produce an almost single-malt whisky (no ‘e’) effect. Very nice. Caramely sweetness is there, and subtle fruity esters are all over the place suggesting peaches, apricots in a reduction of Marsala wine.

The tangy onslaught of hops is relentless and is heavy with its vapours and oils. Grapefruit, blood orange, lemon grass and pine needles have a resounding, fresh vibrancy. However, the malts will not be forgotten in this epic battle; weaving in and out of the thrusts of the hops are well-placed blows of caramel, roasted nuts, dry earthiness, and hints of smoke.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, helped along by a calvary of fine, silky conditioning. Heavy and leaning towards syrupy, but the alcohol dries out the finish. Not quaffable mind you, but easy-drinking for the style. Did I mention the sheets of foam left in the wake of this beauty?

Wowza, this is a bruiser! Incredible complexity, body and general presence. Had this with a peppered turkey and blue cheese Panini with avocado spread – a pairing made in heaven! An awesome liquor, I mean – ale. Must. Review. Old Ruffian.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

First review here so I'll try to do this baby justice:

Sight: Great golden overlay deep ambers, the head is thick and sustained. Very delicate lacing.

Nose: I'm talking grapefruit here. The hops are very seducing. Slight hints of deep woods.

Taste: SLAM! The taste is what sells this beer. It is out of this world good. Probably the best dIPA I have encountered (though am I by no means a veteran) You can taste the ABV IMO and it adds a great finish to the sip. The hops are out of control and I'm loving it.

Feel: Like the others said, the carbonation is perfect for this brew, apparent but not overwhelming. The brew is bordering on the "thick" side but it skirts it quite well.

All in All an excellent beer for the $$. I would buy it again except I bought the last one at my store

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

I poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Beautiful deep copper color, with a phatty light tan head that works hard to keep going and leaves substantial sticky lacing all over the glass. Mmmm.

Aroma is full of earthy malt, and hops reminiscent of a damp musty pine forest. Tastes of sweet caramel, piney hops with a twist of citrus woven in. Big and earthy. If ever a beverage came from Mother Earth this is it. The bitter hop finish lasts long and gets better as it goes. Nice!

Big body, substantial in the mouth, yet smooth and not filling. Several distinct layers of lacing remain with the glass half empty (ok half full!). I'd be down for another if I had one.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company