Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,534 | Hads: 3,897
4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just Wow. I am really not the biggest IPA guy but this beer was just mind blowing. I hate an overly bitter beer. This beer has a biiter hop bite but the malt and floral balance that follow in the second mouthful makes one of the best beer experiences ever. Buy it, all of it. (279 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange-brown color with two fingers of head. There is lots of lacing on the glass. The smell is nothing but citrusy and piney hops. A badass hop aroma that I never want to leave. It keeps drawing me in. The taste has just the slightest bit of sweet maltiness, but watch out cause it doesn't last long. Lots of juicy hops ready to own your palate like the bitch that it is. Great hop flavor, that's all there is to it. The body is very thick, yet smooth. The drinkability is awesome for a 9.1% brew. Flippin' awesome. (578 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a coppery mid-brown into the pint glass. Lovely eggshell, 2-finger head swells, then recedes to a tenacious half-finger. Lovely looking.

Resinous, citric hops smack your nose awake and you go back for more. Further olfactory investigation reveals a myriad of dense malty goodness which when melded with the massive hop profile produce an almost single-malt whisky (no ‘e’) effect. Very nice. Caramely sweetness is there, and subtle fruity esters are all over the place suggesting peaches, apricots in a reduction of Marsala wine.

The tangy onslaught of hops is relentless and is heavy with its vapours and oils. Grapefruit, blood orange, lemon grass and pine needles have a resounding, fresh vibrancy. However, the malts will not be forgotten in this epic battle; weaving in and out of the thrusts of the hops are well-placed blows of caramel, roasted nuts, dry earthiness, and hints of smoke.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, helped along by a calvary of fine, silky conditioning. Heavy and leaning towards syrupy, but the alcohol dries out the finish. Not quaffable mind you, but easy-drinking for the style. Did I mention the sheets of foam left in the wake of this beauty?

Wowza, this is a bruiser! Incredible complexity, body and general presence. Had this with a peppered turkey and blue cheese Panini with avocado spread – a pairing made in heaven! An awesome liquor, I mean – ale. Must. Review. Old Ruffian. (1,435 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

First review here so I'll try to do this baby justice:

Sight: Great golden overlay deep ambers, the head is thick and sustained. Very delicate lacing.

Nose: I'm talking grapefruit here. The hops are very seducing. Slight hints of deep woods.

Taste: SLAM! The taste is what sells this beer. It is out of this world good. Probably the best dIPA I have encountered (though am I by no means a veteran) You can taste the ABV IMO and it adds a great finish to the sip. The hops are out of control and I'm loving it.

Feel: Like the others said, the carbonation is perfect for this brew, apparent but not overwhelming. The brew is bordering on the "thick" side but it skirts it quite well.

All in All an excellent beer for the $$. I would buy it again except I bought the last one at my store (790 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Beautiful deep copper color, with a phatty light tan head that works hard to keep going and leaves substantial sticky lacing all over the glass. Mmmm.

Aroma is full of earthy malt, and hops reminiscent of a damp musty pine forest. Tastes of sweet caramel, piney hops with a twist of citrus woven in. Big and earthy. If ever a beverage came from Mother Earth this is it. The bitter hop finish lasts long and gets better as it goes. Nice!

Big body, substantial in the mouth, yet smooth and not filling. Several distinct layers of lacing remain with the glass half empty (ok half full!). I'd be down for another if I had one. (669 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz. bomber served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange topped by a yellowish and frothy head. Very typical for this style in my experience. Foam dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles and leaves some thick sheets of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Powerful hop aromas of grapefruit and spruce. Faint caramel malts. Obviously, this is Titan on steroids.

Taste: Ultra bitter and tangy hopes on the start. Peppery, brash, citrusy, and sprucy. Just enough caramel malt sweetness to keep this tolerably balanced, but maybe not exquisitely so. This is an IIPA after all. Not quite as complex as Dreadnaught.
Mouthfeel: Solid and burly medium bodied beer with long lasting aftertastes.

Drinkability: Like it's namesake, this is powerful and strong. A great IIPA. Dreadnaught, best be watchin' yer ass. Thankfully, finishing the bottle is not a Herculean feat. (878 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Eighty five IBU's it says on the label. It also says 10% ABV, not 9.1%. This ought to be good...

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 1 inch head that persists and leaves solid sheets on the glass. The appearance is golden amber and clear. The aroma is strong citrus hops. The taste is strongly bitter and mildly malty sweet. The feel is full bodied with a clean finish with moderate carbonation. A very enjoyable IPA, it's strong but not too rich. (448 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

pours a super cloudy dark amber from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass. smells super hopped and malted up. a lot going on in the smell. maybe some caramel lots of hops. taste is super bitter alcohol malty hoppy madness. not as alcohol tasting as one would think. very balanced tasting. a monster sweet malt assault with some extremely well balanced but very bold hop character. tastes awesome, just how you want an IPA to be. I imagine this is how the first IPA's were. mouth feel light carb easy to drink but, at 9.1% i can only handle a 22oz so drinkability not so good for me.
exceptional brew.

This beer has become my new favorite IPA. It's amazing. This has become my new standard for IPA's. This beer is a must try for IPA lovers in my opinion.
excellent excellent excellent!
ALL BOW TO THE KING! HERCULES DOUBLE IPA! (821 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with an amber colour and with a nice off-white head. Aroma of floweris, green, earthy hops and caramel. Citrus and caramel flavour with lot of hops. Honey texture. Full bodied. The strong alcohol is just present. Long nice finish. Very enjoyable. (252 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

This is a copper colored brew, with a big tan head that results from a nice cascade. Sheets of lace stick to the glass. The scent is a great citrus hop scent, which evidences high hop levels. The taste has a sweet pale malt front, which is dominated by a huge hop presence. Sticky citrus/bitter hops, great taste. Smooth creamy mouth, some stickyness from the hop oils. (369 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I went over to my buddies house this evening and he unveiled this fantastic gift from his fridge. Easter came early for this kid.

Pours a semi-clear copperish orange with a full off white head. Absolutely wonderful lace adheres to the glass with each sip.

There is a floral and citrus hop aroma that greets the nose with a hearty hello. A strong carmel malt sweetness is also present in the nose.

The blast of hops that assaults the mouth are balanced by an exceptionally sweet malty finish. The bitter citurs and floral hop flavor is complemented nicely by the rich carmel malts.

This is a full bodied beer that is rich and chewy in the mouth. The memory of the texture lingers long after the last sip of this wonderful elixir. There is a barleywine-like quality to this imperial ipa. This is a fantastic brew that would stand in for a quality hopped barleywine.

This is an infinitely drnkable beer that will make a regular appearance on my beer list. A great offering from the folks at great divide. What a beer! (1,029 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at The Pizza Peel. Let me just say: This local establishment has stepped their game up, big-time.

Fairly big head. The beer itself resembles some sort of crystalline-amber color that's allowing minimal amounts of light to penetrate. One of the prettier DIPAs I've seen. The head's very resilient, and hardly wants to recede at all! I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. I'm getting a little impatient. I'll settle for a frothy mustache I suppose...

I can hardly take a full inhalation of this beer, it's so darn floral. That's a good thing, don't worry. I'm nearly knocked back in my booth from all of the hops entering my nasal cavity. Let's taste her already!

Oh yeah. Just as I expected. A nearly-perfect balance of hops to carbonation, with only minimal malty traces, something that is crucial for me. Granted, this is a double, but the malt is still very discreet. At 10%abv, I have no idea how Great Divide pulled it off...then again, this is why they're one of the big guns in the microbrew industry.

I could literally session this stuff. I think this is the best Double IPA I have ever had. I haven't had Pliny, but man, I feel like this could give it a run for its money. Props to The Pizza Peel for keeping this baby on tap! (1,251 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow I love this beer so much.

A - cloudy amber with a white head that disappeared

S - sweet, citrusy, hoppy

T - a bit of initial sweetness, hops immediately take over and bitterness comes in and is absolutely lovely

M - medium body; nice carbonation; hoppy; bitter; great!

D - Oh wow. I do love this beer. So strong, so tasty, and so drinkable. I could drink this all night and always enjoy my nights at the pub when this is on tap. Definitely one of my favorite beers. If you haven't tried this yet what are you doing on BA!? Get on it! (543 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Dark orange, a bit reddish with tan foam. Beautiful.

S: Flowers and citrus. Hoppy. It wouldn't hurt if it was stronger though, or maybe it's just because I have a cold.

T: The alcohol is present, but the beer is so balanced that it doesn't matter. Rather sweet and lots of grapefruit bitterness. Really smooth.

M: A bit thick, but it's not a problem. After all, this is a heavy beer. Carbonation is perfect.

D: I probably wouldn't want to drink another one, since it is very heavy and high on the alcohol. Then again, I think this type of beer is supposed to be enjoyed slowly.

Overall, this beer is one of the best I've had. If you have a chance to try it, do so. (673 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

On-tap at Chalkies in Indianapolis, a mere $4 per pint. They left off the ABV on this particular beer, leaving me to wonder why my head was so split open after only two beers. ~9% will do it to you...especially during the day.

In the tumbler, this beer was pretty in its unassuming stature. Golden, nice lacing, little head. A hellacious whiff of pine needles and slightly scorching booze.

I often find myself resorting to the lame, unspecific adjective of "winey" when describing beer. Finally a beer has risen to the point where this somewhat shotty description truly fits, and I am almost shocked by the fact that nary a single BA mentioned this in their review.

Merlot. Sorry Miles, but this brew is laden with hopped up Merlot essence. And its a good thing.

Damn, this is one good IIPA on tap...gotta try it in the bottle to see if this winey essense was truly as potent as on-tap. (898 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

22oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Hercules Double IPA pours the stunning deep color of a copper kettle with a billowy tan head that leaves thick sticky layers of lace. Sediment floats lazily in the copper body. This beer is drop-dead gorgeous.

The smell is subtle earthy, dominated by pine and grass. The flavor exceeds the promise of this beer's stunning good looks. It packs the perfect combination of bitter earthy hops, up-front, followed by a caramel-like finish that is simply delicious. It is impossible to drink this as slowly as the alcohol content dictates.

I have had great earthy DIPAs and great sweet DIPAs, but Hercules Double IPA is the first I've had that is great in both respects. This is what "happy" feels like. (745 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - This one came out of the bottle an intimidating, deep hazy orange with some brown influences. The liquid is thick, thick, thick. The color showed a lot of depth and was very inviting. The head was modest but well-tanned and left some nice lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell - This is a big, heavy, monster nose. There is just tons and tons of caramel and toffee in here. The hops are complex and huge as well. I can pick up some good pine sap along with some big citrus and a few other notes that give a lot of depth to this gigantic bouquet. All in all, this is one of the biggest, most-balanced ADIPA noses that I've ever smelled.

Taste - The taste follows the nose except the malts are noticeably dominant. For all the hops here, they take a back seat to the huge, luscious, gooey caramel and toffee malt presence.

Mouthfeel - This is big and full-bodied. I'm talking Pliny the Younger big. They should serve this at Ruth Chris' with a side of mashed potatoes. Forget the knife and fork; give me the classic 1970's-style electric turkey carving knife.

As big and chewy as this is, it's not overly dry. The finish has some dryness, but this one finishes with a super-sugary caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Eatability - Don't try to drink Hercules with a meal like I did. This is your dinner.

Comments - What a great treat! I'll offer a big thumbs up to BuckeyeNation for sending this out my way.

Update - They finally got this in SoCal in the fall of 2010. This is an amazing beer to say the least. The head was much improved from my initial review, which leads me to believe that the beer suffered a bit from the trip from Ohio. That said, the balance of this ale is amazing and the flavors are beyond reproach. There's really nothing else like it out there in the beer world. It makes the case for a huge DIPA but with grass and flowers instead of the triple C's and gooey malts. It is like no other double that I've ever had and is in a class all by itself. Especially unique is the nose that is very herbal and spicy yet also has a classic DIPA aroma. The aftertaste BTW will entertain you for hours. (2,139 characters)

Great Divide- Hercules Double IPA

Appearance- golden reddish brown with a big fluffy thick head. Sticky head laced the glass all the way down.
Smell- Huge hops. Pungent Grapefruit and orange rind. Big pine infused throughout.
Taste- Big sweet oily pine with a nice blend of grapefruit. Alcohol is noticeable.
Mouthfeel- First few sips there is a big bitterness kick up front but eventually the beer settles into a nice sweet pine IPA. Mellows out considerablely throughout.

Overall- A nice big IPA. A big flavor beer that holds on til the end. Definitely buy this and drink up!! (587 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice amber colored beer that is served in a snifter with a small frothy head that dissipates quickly, often by the time I get it from the bartender.

The taste is a little malty/sweet right off the bat followed by a strong bitter taste of fresh piney and citrusy hops that lingers. The beer is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth.

At nearly 10% you might expect a strong alcohol flavor but I think it is well balanced by the hops and isn't readily apparent. I always get to the bottom of my glass wishing there was more in it, but knowing that I've drank more than a traditional beer's worth of alcohol

The smell of this beer is probably my favorite part. You get the aroma of the hops mixed with a mild sweetness and the combination I love.

A local bar with 40 taps and over 500 different beers usually has this one on tap and every time I go I try to get something new but I always end up getting one of these before I leave.

This is probably one of the beers that made me fall in love with Imperial IPA's so if you're a fan of the style definitely give it a try. (1,080 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a honey amber with a high frothy tan head.

Smelled of honey, molasses, wheat, bread dough and bubblegum with only a mild but obvious hop undertone.

The flavor is delightfully understated with a smooth caramel and light molasses malt whose sweetness fades into an intense orange and pine dryness that finishes with a slight caramel and a pleasant dryness.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light smooth carbonation. (444 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I've been craving for the last three months. A great IPA, a double none the less. The Mighty Herc is richly full of the aromas that make a great IPA, well, great. Very piny and grassy, and a bit lemony too.

When poured this produces a beautiful tight head, about two fingers thick into my pint glass. The body is ultra hazy and is orangish amber in color. The head sticks very well to the glass all the way through.

The taste of this brew is awesome. It is one of the most perfect IPAs I've had. Of course it's been a while, but damn this has the perfect balance of pine and sweet molasses at the same time. Very warming to the palate.

Like I've said, it's been a while since I've had an IPA let alone a double, but you've got to give this a try. (769 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages! (491 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%

So BA says I can't review the same beer even 3 yrs later. Pishshaw. Had it on tap at my favorite beer bar and I think that different years yeild different flavors. Marked that I had it in a bottle but in all truthfulness I had it on tap... again
A- warm amber in color. light head with minimal lacing

S - grapefruit/ citrus hops very nice

T - soapy hops in the beginning, nice hoppy bitter bite with a dryness in the finish

M- right where it should be. nicely carbonated, Heavy enough on the tongue without being thick

D - didn't know the abv when I tried it and totally didn't detect the 10% abv. WAY drinkable... in fact I had a 2nd. no residuel sweetness from the abv level. dangerously good (698 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Great color with a light haze. Deep amber ice tea. Fine white head has great staying power, but relatively low lace.

S - Apricot, honey, light booze, marzipan, warm woody hops.

T - Wow. Bright wood, warm mulled cider, bourbon, vanilla, bitter herbs. Stellar integration.

M - Super smooth with a full body.

O - An awesome DIPA, well worth the hype. (355 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Hercules Double IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for the gods"

I can't remember a better looking, better smelling IPA then Hercules.

Pours a beautiful dark amber orange with a nice thick and creamy picture perfect two finger head with tremendous lacing.

The aroma is amazing. Caramel, toffee, roasted almonds. Roasted nuts are in the forefront.

The flavor is just like the smell except even nuttier. This is a great change of pace from the other Double IPA's i've had. This is definitely unique and in a league of its own.

Hops, Malts, sweetness, bitterness. This beer has it all. My first beer from Great divide, but most definitely not my last. (675 characters)

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company