Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,944
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz. bomber served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange topped by a yellowish and frothy head. Very typical for this style in my experience. Foam dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles and leaves some thick sheets of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Powerful hop aromas of grapefruit and spruce. Faint caramel malts. Obviously, this is Titan on steroids.

Taste: Ultra bitter and tangy hopes on the start. Peppery, brash, citrusy, and sprucy. Just enough caramel malt sweetness to keep this tolerably balanced, but maybe not exquisitely so. This is an IIPA after all. Not quite as complex as Dreadnaught.
Mouthfeel: Solid and burly medium bodied beer with long lasting aftertastes.

Drinkability: Like it's namesake, this is powerful and strong. A great IIPA. Dreadnaught, best be watchin' yer ass. Thankfully, finishing the bottle is not a Herculean feat.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Eighty five IBU's it says on the label. It also says 10% ABV, not 9.1%. This ought to be good...

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 1 inch head that persists and leaves solid sheets on the glass. The appearance is golden amber and clear. The aroma is strong citrus hops. The taste is strongly bitter and mildly malty sweet. The feel is full bodied with a clean finish with moderate carbonation. A very enjoyable IPA, it's strong but not too rich.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

pours a super cloudy dark amber from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass. smells super hopped and malted up. a lot going on in the smell. maybe some caramel lots of hops. taste is super bitter alcohol malty hoppy madness. not as alcohol tasting as one would think. very balanced tasting. a monster sweet malt assault with some extremely well balanced but very bold hop character. tastes awesome, just how you want an IPA to be. I imagine this is how the first IPA's were. mouth feel light carb easy to drink but, at 9.1% i can only handle a 22oz so drinkability not so good for me.
exceptional brew.

This beer has become my new favorite IPA. It's amazing. This has become my new standard for IPA's. This beer is a must try for IPA lovers in my opinion.
excellent excellent excellent!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with an amber colour and with a nice off-white head. Aroma of floweris, green, earthy hops and caramel. Citrus and caramel flavour with lot of hops. Honey texture. Full bodied. The strong alcohol is just present. Long nice finish. Very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a copper colored brew, with a big tan head that results from a nice cascade. Sheets of lace stick to the glass. The scent is a great citrus hop scent, which evidences high hop levels. The taste has a sweet pale malt front, which is dominated by a huge hop presence. Sticky citrus/bitter hops, great taste. Smooth creamy mouth, some stickyness from the hop oils.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I went over to my buddies house this evening and he unveiled this fantastic gift from his fridge. Easter came early for this kid.

Pours a semi-clear copperish orange with a full off white head. Absolutely wonderful lace adheres to the glass with each sip.

There is a floral and citrus hop aroma that greets the nose with a hearty hello. A strong carmel malt sweetness is also present in the nose.

The blast of hops that assaults the mouth are balanced by an exceptionally sweet malty finish. The bitter citurs and floral hop flavor is complemented nicely by the rich carmel malts.

This is a full bodied beer that is rich and chewy in the mouth. The memory of the texture lingers long after the last sip of this wonderful elixir. There is a barleywine-like quality to this imperial ipa. This is a fantastic brew that would stand in for a quality hopped barleywine.

This is an infinitely drnkable beer that will make a regular appearance on my beer list. A great offering from the folks at great divide. What a beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at The Pizza Peel. Let me just say: This local establishment has stepped their game up, big-time.

Fairly big head. The beer itself resembles some sort of crystalline-amber color that's allowing minimal amounts of light to penetrate. One of the prettier DIPAs I've seen. The head's very resilient, and hardly wants to recede at all! I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. I'm getting a little impatient. I'll settle for a frothy mustache I suppose...

I can hardly take a full inhalation of this beer, it's so darn floral. That's a good thing, don't worry. I'm nearly knocked back in my booth from all of the hops entering my nasal cavity. Let's taste her already!

Oh yeah. Just as I expected. A nearly-perfect balance of hops to carbonation, with only minimal malty traces, something that is crucial for me. Granted, this is a double, but the malt is still very discreet. At 10%abv, I have no idea how Great Divide pulled it off...then again, this is why they're one of the big guns in the microbrew industry.

I could literally session this stuff. I think this is the best Double IPA I have ever had. I haven't had Pliny, but man, I feel like this could give it a run for its money. Props to The Pizza Peel for keeping this baby on tap!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow I love this beer so much.

A - cloudy amber with a white head that disappeared

S - sweet, citrusy, hoppy

T - a bit of initial sweetness, hops immediately take over and bitterness comes in and is absolutely lovely

M - medium body; nice carbonation; hoppy; bitter; great!

D - Oh wow. I do love this beer. So strong, so tasty, and so drinkable. I could drink this all night and always enjoy my nights at the pub when this is on tap. Definitely one of my favorite beers. If you haven't tried this yet what are you doing on BA!? Get on it!

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Dark orange, a bit reddish with tan foam. Beautiful.

S: Flowers and citrus. Hoppy. It wouldn't hurt if it was stronger though, or maybe it's just because I have a cold.

T: The alcohol is present, but the beer is so balanced that it doesn't matter. Rather sweet and lots of grapefruit bitterness. Really smooth.

M: A bit thick, but it's not a problem. After all, this is a heavy beer. Carbonation is perfect.

D: I probably wouldn't want to drink another one, since it is very heavy and high on the alcohol. Then again, I think this type of beer is supposed to be enjoyed slowly.

Overall, this beer is one of the best I've had. If you have a chance to try it, do so.

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%

On-tap at Chalkies in Indianapolis, a mere $4 per pint. They left off the ABV on this particular beer, leaving me to wonder why my head was so split open after only two beers. ~9% will do it to you...especially during the day.

In the tumbler, this beer was pretty in its unassuming stature. Golden, nice lacing, little head. A hellacious whiff of pine needles and slightly scorching booze.

I often find myself resorting to the lame, unspecific adjective of "winey" when describing beer. Finally a beer has risen to the point where this somewhat shotty description truly fits, and I am almost shocked by the fact that nary a single BA mentioned this in their review.

Merlot. Sorry Miles, but this brew is laden with hopped up Merlot essence. And its a good thing.

Damn, this is one good IIPA on tap...gotta try it in the bottle to see if this winey essense was truly as potent as on-tap.

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Hercules Double IPA pours the stunning deep color of a copper kettle with a billowy tan head that leaves thick sticky layers of lace. Sediment floats lazily in the copper body. This beer is drop-dead gorgeous.

The smell is subtle earthy, dominated by pine and grass. The flavor exceeds the promise of this beer's stunning good looks. It packs the perfect combination of bitter earthy hops, up-front, followed by a caramel-like finish that is simply delicious. It is impossible to drink this as slowly as the alcohol content dictates.

I have had great earthy DIPAs and great sweet DIPAs, but Hercules Double IPA is the first I've had that is great in both respects. This is what "happy" feels like.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - This one came out of the bottle an intimidating, deep hazy orange with some brown influences. The liquid is thick, thick, thick. The color showed a lot of depth and was very inviting. The head was modest but well-tanned and left some nice lacing on the inside of my Ruination glass.

Smell - This is a big, heavy, monster nose. There is just tons and tons of caramel and toffee in here. The hops are complex and huge as well. I can pick up some good pine sap along with some big citrus and a few other notes that give a lot of depth to this gigantic bouquet. All in all, this is one of the biggest, most-balanced ADIPA noses that I've ever smelled.

Taste - The taste follows the nose except the malts are noticeably dominant. For all the hops here, they take a back seat to the huge, luscious, gooey caramel and toffee malt presence.

Mouthfeel - This is big and full-bodied. I'm talking Pliny the Younger big. They should serve this at Ruth Chris' with a side of mashed potatoes. Forget the knife and fork; give me the classic 1970's-style electric turkey carving knife.

As big and chewy as this is, it's not overly dry. The finish has some dryness, but this one finishes with a super-sugary caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Eatability - Don't try to drink Hercules with a meal like I did. This is your dinner.

Comments - What a great treat! I'll offer a big thumbs up to BuckeyeNation for sending this out my way.

Update - They finally got this in SoCal in the fall of 2010. This is an amazing beer to say the least. The head was much improved from my initial review, which leads me to believe that the beer suffered a bit from the trip from Ohio. That said, the balance of this ale is amazing and the flavors are beyond reproach. There's really nothing else like it out there in the beer world. It makes the case for a huge DIPA but with grass and flowers instead of the triple C's and gooey malts. It is like no other double that I've ever had and is in a class all by itself. Especially unique is the nose that is very herbal and spicy yet also has a classic DIPA aroma. The aftertaste BTW will entertain you for hours.

Great Divide- Hercules Double IPA

Appearance- golden reddish brown with a big fluffy thick head. Sticky head laced the glass all the way down.
Smell- Huge hops. Pungent Grapefruit and orange rind. Big pine infused throughout.
Taste- Big sweet oily pine with a nice blend of grapefruit. Alcohol is noticeable.
Mouthfeel- First few sips there is a big bitterness kick up front but eventually the beer settles into a nice sweet pine IPA. Mellows out considerablely throughout.

Overall- A nice big IPA. A big flavor beer that holds on til the end. Definitely buy this and drink up!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice amber colored beer that is served in a snifter with a small frothy head that dissipates quickly, often by the time I get it from the bartender.

The taste is a little malty/sweet right off the bat followed by a strong bitter taste of fresh piney and citrusy hops that lingers. The beer is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth.

At nearly 10% you might expect a strong alcohol flavor but I think it is well balanced by the hops and isn't readily apparent. I always get to the bottom of my glass wishing there was more in it, but knowing that I've drank more than a traditional beer's worth of alcohol

The smell of this beer is probably my favorite part. You get the aroma of the hops mixed with a mild sweetness and the combination I love.

A local bar with 40 taps and over 500 different beers usually has this one on tap and every time I go I try to get something new but I always end up getting one of these before I leave.

This is probably one of the beers that made me fall in love with Imperial IPA's so if you're a fan of the style definitely give it a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a honey amber with a high frothy tan head.

Smelled of honey, molasses, wheat, bread dough and bubblegum with only a mild but obvious hop undertone.

The flavor is delightfully understated with a smooth caramel and light molasses malt whose sweetness fades into an intense orange and pine dryness that finishes with a slight caramel and a pleasant dryness.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light smooth carbonation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I've been craving for the last three months. A great IPA, a double none the less. The Mighty Herc is richly full of the aromas that make a great IPA, well, great. Very piny and grassy, and a bit lemony too.

When poured this produces a beautiful tight head, about two fingers thick into my pint glass. The body is ultra hazy and is orangish amber in color. The head sticks very well to the glass all the way through.

The taste of this brew is awesome. It is one of the most perfect IPAs I've had. Of course it's been a while, but damn this has the perfect balance of pine and sweet molasses at the same time. Very warming to the palate.

Like I've said, it's been a while since I've had an IPA let alone a double, but you've got to give this a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages!

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

So BA says I can't review the same beer even 3 yrs later. Pishshaw. Had it on tap at my favorite beer bar and I think that different years yeild different flavors. Marked that I had it in a bottle but in all truthfulness I had it on tap... again
A- warm amber in color. light head with minimal lacing

S - grapefruit/ citrus hops very nice

T - soapy hops in the beginning, nice hoppy bitter bite with a dryness in the finish

M- right where it should be. nicely carbonated, Heavy enough on the tongue without being thick

D - didn't know the abv when I tried it and totally didn't detect the 10% abv. WAY drinkable... in fact I had a 2nd. no residuel sweetness from the abv level. dangerously good

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Great color with a light haze. Deep amber ice tea. Fine white head has great staying power, but relatively low lace.

S - Apricot, honey, light booze, marzipan, warm woody hops.

T - Wow. Bright wood, warm mulled cider, bourbon, vanilla, bitter herbs. Stellar integration.

M - Super smooth with a full body.

O - An awesome DIPA, well worth the hype.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Hercules Double IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for the gods"

I can't remember a better looking, better smelling IPA then Hercules.

Pours a beautiful dark amber orange with a nice thick and creamy picture perfect two finger head with tremendous lacing.

The aroma is amazing. Caramel, toffee, roasted almonds. Roasted nuts are in the forefront.

The flavor is just like the smell except even nuttier. This is a great change of pace from the other Double IPA's i've had. This is definitely unique and in a league of its own.

Hops, Malts, sweetness, bitterness. This beer has it all. My first beer from Great divide, but most definitely not my last.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: golden amber reddish hues,

smell: loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: like hops of course, this beer is loaded with it. very solid double with heavy grapefruit flavor

mouthfeel: thin not thick. good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth. and goes great with spicy snacks or meals.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, Bottling date of the first week of January (of what year I'm not sure, I think 2008), poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Aooearance: Pours a cloudy burnt orange-amber color, tons of sediment floating in there. The head formed 1 finger thick and faded into a thin layer.

Aroma: Piney and citrus hops with some caramel and alcohol in the background.

Taste: Pine and citrus hops (grapefruit) burst onto your tastebuds. There's some sweet caramel in the middle (more as it warms). The finish is almost all hops, very bitter, with a slight alcohol warming at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, creamy. The carbonation balanced well.

Overall: Holy hell that's good. I love a hop-bomb as much as anyone, but it's the sweet caramel malts in the middle that set this one apart. Just make sure to let it warm up out of the fridge for a little bit. Highly recommended to imperial/double IPA fans.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy fiery orangish amber color with a nice off-white head with some good lacing.

Aroma is sweet bready and carmely malt along with some spicy citrus and piney hops. There is also some alcohol present in the nose as the beer warms.

This is very well balanced for a double IPA. While the hops are definitely well represented for all hopheads the malt has a strong showing as well. There are notes of toffee, caramel, sweet bread, grapefruit and some pine. The more the beer warms, the more the hops come out.

Mouthfeel is full and pleasantly carbonated; pretty smooth and almost creamy.

Hard to believe there is 9% ABV here, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. A great Double IPA.

'From my notes of Jan 9, 2007

It poured a reddish brown with a small head of foam that didn't last too long but had some good lacing.

The smell had citrusy hops and a good amount of sweet malts and came across as very balanced..which I loved.

The taste was of extreme hops and extreme malt sweetness which made for extreme balance. Good lord, this is fantastic.

Bottom line, this is a world class beer to my palate. Wonderful stuff!

A: Dk. Amber/Orange, modest, but dense tan head
S: Sweet, toasty malt over strong piney hop
T: Intensely bitter piney, floral, perfume-y hop, barely balanced by light malt sweetness and graininess as well as thickness and body from aggressive carbonation.
M: Surprisingly thick, given the color and taste.
A: Piney hop bitter, slightly astringent, and clean.

Overall: Here's a beer that lives up to its double IPA promises proudly displayed on its label. Hop profile kicks off in a burst of pine with each sip, introduces other, well-layered notes of citrus, perfume, and floral, but comes back to the pine in the end. Manages to showcase the intense hops while still maintaining its own version of balance. It's 10.0% ABV is incredibly well-masked, so proceed at your own risk, and the advertised 85 IBUs seem accurate, and possibly even a bit modest.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company