1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros

SpAiReArGsEonNE, Apr 08, 2014

anteater, Apr 07, 2013

mlhenson, Apr 28, 2012

canders0927, Sep 24, 2012

olbubba, Apr 27, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -37%

A- Transparent amber body with thick foamy pale rust colored head. Great head retention and plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Balanced aromas of citrus, caramel malt, toffee, and hops. Smell is rather welcoming.

T- Citrusy hops are first with a caramel malt and toffee back bone. Seems prety balanced. This is followed by a very agressive crass hop finish that lingers and lingers in the back of the palate. Nothing is at the end to balance out the hops.

M- Medium carbonation and smooth creamy body. Well done.

D- The crass hop aftertaste was over the top for me and I found it hard to enjoy. I tend to enjoy fuller more balanced DIPAs rather than agressive ones. This one just wasn't for me.

PittBeerGirl, Jun 24, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -36.3%

Had this last night, at $13 for a 4-pack, I was expecting something exceptional.

The color was a nice clear brown but all of GD's beers are crystal clear, so nothing special about that.

It did smell really good, I will give it that, like a boquet of hop flowers.

The taste was really disapointing, this could really benefit from being conditioned in the bottle, not just carbed and poured in. That's fine when it's from a tap fresh, but leave a dead beer in the bottle for two months (mine was bottled in Oct according to the label) and uhhhh....yeah. I didn't see any yeast sediment at the bottom and the beer was so clear it either wasn't bottle conditioned or they use a very miraculous strain of yeast.

Very biting mouthfeel, resiny from all the hops. Like chewing on hops. A little creaminess at the end, maybe but really just jagged, cloyingly bitter, resinous and biting. Flash of green followed by a jolting brown. Unpleasant.

Fairly drinkable, I worked thru the two I bought (asked the guy to half the 4pack for me because of the price) in about an hour because I wanted to get drunk and it does its job pretty well at 9% ABV, but I would not drink it again. May try it off a tap if I come across the opportunity. Horribly disappointing.

ericduran, Dec 28, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber. Achieved a very impressive tan head. Sustained for a good while and then left a nice thick lacing. Clear amber body with tiny carbonation bubbles. The appearance was the best thing about this beer.

Wow, overhyped?

Aroma was a malty sweetness, light hoppiness, and a hint of nuts.

First tastes were of malt up front and grapefruit rinds toward the end. Alcohol (ETOH) veiled but not hidden. As the beer warmed for just a few minutes I began to taste ETOH and some bitterness, nothing else. No complexity, no subtleness, one gear.

Little carbonation, uninteresting mouthfeel.

I did not finish this beer. I kept waiting for a shift away from the ETOH flavor toward something more multidimensional but unfortunately I mostly tasted booze, not beer.

I recently enjoyed a Dreadnaught ( I do enjoy Double IPA's) and had no trouble finishing the bottle. Hercules was strong but not in a good way. Not what I expected.

Cresant, May 21, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -36.3%

Four finger tan head over a cloudy red-brown liquid. Smells pine, pith, and soapy. Oranges, tangerine, pink grapefruit. Some alcohol (with some fusel) and seashore.

Tastes potent hoppy with alcohol edge hitting in with the hops. Hop bitter is high and hop flavor is so potent the flavors take on a sourish role. Pine sol with grassy dry to boot. Wet that hits the front of the tongue is wiped immediately clear with grassy hops, edgy alcohol and too strong carbonation. Gritty hop bits into the papillae in the aftertaste turning the alcohol and hops into a fusel mess. WTF is all the hype of this crap. Light body and overcarbonated.

mentor, Jan 17, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

Draft pour into a half-pint goblet at Whole Foods in Tustin.

A: Clear, light amber color with one finger of off-white foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass. Bubbles are visible rising in loose streams from the bottom and sides of the glass.

S: Toasted bread, earth, and dark vinous fruit constitute the bulk of this beer's smell. Occasional whiffs of pine foliage, caramel, and fusile alcohols break through (the latter dissipating after a few minutes).

T: Begins sweet, with intense pale and caramel malts soon joined by dark, treacly citrus hop aromatics. The middle remains hoppy, but some astringency and cloying soapiness also emerge. The finish dries out somewhat, with moderate bitterness and grapefruit peel lingering. The flavor of pure alcohol never really stands alone, although it may play a part in creating some of the less desirable qualities found here.

M: Medium viscosity, syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation whose presence is felt too noticeably.

D: This DIPA has a lot going on, but some of its sensory qualities are problematic. Flavor-wise it is big but not satisfying--the kind of strong ale that fatigues the palate almost after a single sip. In its defense, it probably pairs with savory food better than some other more noteworthy examples of the style. Within its style Hercules treads near to the barleywine border, cultivating dark flavors over bright--it will not be mistaken for a West coast IPA. It is similar in this sense to Ninkasi Tricerahops or Avery Maharaja, although both are superior efforts to this.

beagle75, Dec 14, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

I had this beer on a rainy sunday afternoon today. It began hopefully when i poured the beer in a nice dutch beerglass.

A nice light cooper couloured head with a very nice colour of the beer.

The first sip of the beer made me uncomfortable. My first thought was that the beer was not OK. Tried a few more sips and then the beer gave more feeling in my mouth.

Only....i'm a bit dissapointed. The beer looks good but the tasts does not come along.

This beer gets a lot of high revieuws and i an wondering why. Better luck next time.

Brabander, Nov 22, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -33.9%

Out of a bottle at Haven in Orange, CA.

Raul does not approve! Nasty! Nasty! Nasty!

So this is one of those Least Coast IPA's. Or is it a Strong Ale? Because Raul cannot tell. If Raul wants himself a bottle of strong ghetto syrup, he'll get himself a bottle of Old English. The homeboys gave this a 99!? Either way, Raul vows never again. Rather step in fresh doo doo'd kitty litter than suffer through this nastiness again.

Now back to a fresh, hoppy, pineapple blasted BEST Coast IPA.

*Raul was a bit ignant when he wrote this review. Now well versed in the wide world of craft from all regions, Raul vows to try young Hercules again.

RaulMondesi, Dec 26, 2012

CottomanEmpire, Sep 26, 2013

Anvilfarm, Aug 28, 2013

rderedin, Jun 27, 2014
2.76/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just recently started getting Great Divide here, so I was very excited to try this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a bottling date of 9/13/13.

A: Relatively clear, orange/amber liquid with about 1 finger head. Not bad looking, but nothing special either.

S: This is where it started to fall apart for me. I spent maybe 5 minutes trying to get a good feel for the aroma of this brew because it just seemed so off from what I expected. I get a very faint whiff of citrusy fruity hops and...almost nothing else. The only other aroma I could get off of it reminded me of piss. I hate saying that, but it was the first thing that came to mind every time I tried.

T: There was no redeeming quality here unfortunately. Bitter, piney hop taste followed by a huge caramel malt flavor. The bad part came in the finish which tasted like soap...not a little either, more like the flavor you would get from accidentally getting dishwashing liquid in your mouth.

M: Not a bad mouthfeel, but with all the bad flavors going on, I just wanted to swallow it quickly without thinking too much about it.

O: I cant believe this beer was as bad as it was. If this is what it is supposed to taste like, I have no idea how the ratings are so high. I'm going to try to track down a fresh bottle and re evaluate this, because what I drank doesn't seem like what everyone else is drinking...at least I really hope not.

Mattyb79, Oct 21, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

Caramel amber in color, the pour yields a sticky head that produces some really solid lacing. Unfortunately, this is about where the highlights of this beer end.

The aroma and flavor are both incredibly disappointing, as sweet and cloying caramel malts dominate both the nose and the palate. It doesn't taste like an old IPA with faded hops, so I wonder if there ever were any hops in there to begin with. There is virtually no bitterness to balance the malt base. Luckily, the booze is subdued, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. This is by far a better barleywine than it is a DIPA.

Just disappointing. I figured that out of a keg, the perennial disappointment of this beer would finally end, but it just didn't come together. I don't expect to buy this again.

NittanyBeerFan, Dec 24, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic.

Pours a red-amber color with two fingers of head that retains and laces well. The beer has very high clarity for the style. Aroma isn't blasting with hops, but instead well-balanced with hops, citrus, pepper and surprisingly nutty malts. The taste on this? Eh. This is a fairly fresh bottle, but the malts and alcohol really take front and center here, with a bit of a peppery kick. The hops are kicked to the background, giving this much more of a barelywine flavor. And not a great barleywine either. With only a month and a half of age on the bottle, this is a little silly.

The mouthfeel is nice enough, it's fairly full-bodied and a bit less carbonation than I'd like. The drinkability is a bit below average, I found this glass a bit of a slog. The high ABV isn't doing this brew any favors. A below-average DIPA that I'd struggle to recommend.

shand, Mar 31, 2011
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This was poured out of a 22oz bottle.

Out of the bottle I was very impressed. There was an off white cream head that stuck around for a while. The color was a dark amber to copper tone.

The aroma was great! It had a complex malt-hop mix that was different than most DIPA's that are all hops aroma.

The taste was heavy and unimpressive. I most of the flavors melded together into an indistinguishable burn. I think there were some hints of pine, but they were all quickly erased by the harsh alcohol burn. Too much.

Mouth feel was thick and heavy. This drank like a stout and overstayed it's welcome on my tongue.

IMHO Great Divide pushes towards some great big beers, but needs to learn when to say when. I had a Saranac High Peaks side by side with this, both DIPA's and there was no comparing the two. One was thick heavy and a struggle to get down, the other smooth and full of character. I recommend the Saranac HP for anyone looking for a good DIPA.

*I need to disclose that I live in Syracuse (not far from Utica where Saranac is brewed) so I am always a little bias towards the home town brew.

cnybrewblog, Jun 19, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -32.2%

This beer is 100% about the hops and bitters.

From the label (which is the whole Arrogant Bastard brag thing done in a slightly more tasteful way) to the extreme aftertaste - the only thing here is intense hops. It's not even too hoppy for me; it's just that that is all there is. I question this.

What I do not question is the amazing way they packed 10% abv into this puppy, which tastes otherwise like a regular old IPA that you'd always pass up. So, I'm conflicted, but there are cheaper ways to buy mega boozy IPA's.

sellmeagod, Sep 02, 2010