Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,840 | Reviews: 1,556
3.12/5  rDev -24.3%

Not fresh, so ratings likely skewed, especially since I tend to love double IPAs.

3.12/5  rDev -24.3%

Aromas of citrus and resiny pine and herbal/vegetal hops. A smorgasbord of greenery here. A little bready and caramel maltiness, but not much.
The taste unfortunately follows the nose with the hops blasting your tastebuds, not balanced at all like I enjoyed my DIPAs. All hops here, extreme Simcoe and citrus hops are on show here which is pleasant for some, but not me. There almost should be a separate category of beers called Imperial IPA and Double IPA with one being balanced hops and malts and one having just a bunch of alcohol and bitterness (as is presented here). Too much alcohol and bitterness to be enjoyed for my taste buds.

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%

I played 18 holes of golf today, so I wanted to celebrate. Nothing beats celebrating with a BIG bottle of beer with a TON of booze. This beer is 10% ABV, and is just loaded with flavor. I have had it before, but it was a LONG time ago. Why am I using so many CAPITAL letters tonight? Who cares. I am ready to drink.

In the Glass: This is a healthy looking IPA. It is rich in copper color and produces a very thick head. The head is white, and sits on top for a LONG time. There I go again with the capital letters. I will stop. No more. Anyway, this looks like a good strong IPA. A double IPA perhaps! (It is fair for me to put IPA in all caps… that is the point!)

Nose: For a beer that has this much booze and is loaded with that many IBUs, I expected a more overwhelming nose. But it is weak. Their Titan IPA smells a lot better. But I am hoping the aroma starts to come out when this beer heats up. We pulled this from the fridge, so it is ice cold.

Flavor: The flavor is also not what I expected. As the tasting notes say, it is very well balanced. The flavor is never overwhelming and slides from the front of the palate and into the aftertaste without much focus on hops. I am surprised that this beer is just exploding with flavor… but maybe that is the point. They focused more on the overall enjoyment rather than making this a “knock your socks off” kind of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite boring. There is a subtle hint of hops on the back of the palate, but is is quick and isn’t obvious. You can smell as you drink to get more of the citrus notes that you expect… but the flavor is just polished (it makes sense when you drink it) from the start to the finish. This is like a domestic for a fan of IPAs.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste. It is smooth all the way through, and the aftertaste is pretty boring. Now, having said all that… the beer is good. It is solid. It is… you got it, polished. It doesn’t have to be a big punch of hops that knocks me over. I wanted that, but the beer is good. The booze isn’t obvious either.

I like Great Divide, and while I had higher exceptions, this one is still a good IPA from a great portfolio of beers.

Hercules Double IPA - The bottle says: “HERCULES DOUBLE IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for gods. HERCULES delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish. Its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile. 85 IBUs.”

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Dark amber, thick head, sediment at the bottom of bottle.
S: Sweet amber malt. Bread.
T: Sweet followed by some bitterness and a sweet finish.
M: Full body like a barleywine.
O: Too sweet and too much body.

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Perhaps unfair, I tried this after having Evil Twin’s Molotov Cocktail.  Unremarkable at the time, it seemed as though it wasn’t malty or hoppy enough to be a DIPA.  I judge all my DIPAs against Heady, and this seemed thin and lacking flavor.  I’ll have to revisit it on a fresh palate to give it another whirl and see if my initial impressions were correct, but for now, there are many other DIPAs I’ll reach for (hello Dirtwolf!)

3.16/5  rDev -23.3%

I can see why many like this beer--it's very flavorful and it wakes up your mouth, which seems to be a strength of Great Divide brews in general. But it is way too sweet for an IPA--or dipa in this case. It's like a saccharine, syrupy European fall-winter beer, with a touch of a hop bite. Bottle copy says Hercules "is not for the faint of heart...delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish." Um, no. It's sweet as candy and the supposed 85 IBUs are totally masked. Appearance also not good in my six-month-old bottle--many floaties.

3.16/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Appearance - The beer is very cloudy, with a dirty copper and apricot hue.

Aroma - I was expecting a stronger hop nose with this beer. I could detect a bit of an orange scent, but was also picking up a strong alcohol smell. In the background there was a fresh-baked bread smell.

Taste - There is a definite strong bitterness which is of course part of this style. However I found it to be somewhat unpleasant compared to other double IPAs. I could not detect any pine or citrus. I got more of a strong grassy bitter flavor. There is also a bready, biscuit taste mixed in, and I thought I might have even detected some caramel - but it was quickly overpowered by the bitterness.

The mouthfeel is full with a dry finish. I did not find this beer that drinkable. It was ok, but I found the bitterness in this one harsh. This is my favorite style of beer and I was really looking forward to this tasting. I was a bit disappointed by the result.

3.19/5  rDev -22.6%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled on 9/30/10. Reviewed 5/3/11. Picked up at the Bruery Provisions.

Orange-brown body with a bubbly, small, light tan head. Settles out to a patchy cover. Tons of sediment is suspended in the body.

Loads of tropical fruit aromas; mango and papaya. Some grapefruit hops. Sweet Carmel malts, with a little nuttiness. Candy like sweetness. Overall, the aroma profile leans toward the sweet side.

Sweet, tropical fruit leads the way in the mouth. Malt middle, nutty and full. Some carmel tones. Finish is piney and bitter, with a residual sweetness.

This might have been past it's prime, as I wasn't too impressed. The sediment makes me think this was too old.

3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Had this on-tap at Bierra Paradiso in Georgetown DC

While this was a really well crafted beer it was really just too much for my tastes. I can certainly appreciate it for what it was and Great Divide did a great job in the formulation of the recipe but I am not yet accustomed to the DIPAs.

Appearance: Dark copper, brass colored. Some chill haze, small but stable fine-bubbled lacing head. Very attractive.

Aroma: wow, thats a lot of hops. The smelled so fresh and pungent, it was really strong. Perfumy, piny, citrusy turning grassy. Lurking somewhere behind all of that greenery was considerable malt caramel sweetness. Almost made me shudder.

Flavor: If I thought that the aroma was strong, the taste of this was considerably stronger than the smell let on. The dominant and lingering taste was like that of eating hop pellets (homebrewers should know what I am talking about). Super strong alcohol and super syrupy malt.

Mouthfeel: thick and syrupy but balanced well by the moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Definitely low

Comments: definitely worth a try if you like DIPAs or are curious about this new substyle. If I were into DIPAs I would probably love this beer but its well worth a try.

3.21/5  rDev -22.1%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of light tan head that clung to the side of the glass. It is copper in color. The malts come through more than the hops when I smelled it. The taste is weak up front but follows with some pine hops flavor. I think I got hold of an old bottle.

Cheers!

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours an amber color with a short lived head that dissipates to a thin layer. Yeasty particles suspended throughout. Get big caramel malt aroma and floral hops. Taste was not what I have grown accustomed to in Double IPA's. For me it was overly malty with the hops giving a bitter finish. Medium body with adequate carbonation. I wouldn't go back to this one when there are others that I enjoy so much more. Unearthly, Double Simcoe, 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Gordon are all much better IMO.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottled April 11, 2011. Im afraid I got the short end of the stick on this one. Did not realize until after I bought it that it was a bit old. I reserve the right to update this review once I get a fresh bottle.

Pours a rich, slightly hazy amber color with a bit of frothy cream white head. The head is gone in seconds but leaves a bubbly ring around the edges.

Smells of caramel maltiness with a hint of yeast up front. Missing the hops I expected but I get some faint remnants of some grapefruit.

All malt in this. Well, there is some nice hoppy bitterness in the front, then distinctive caramel notes in the middle with a warm finish.

Medium to full bodied with slightly above average carbonation.

Overall I am disappointed... with the fact that this bottle is almost 5 months old. I bet this is a much better beer when fresher. My ratings are slightly inflated because its not GD's fault I got an old one but I also wanted to rate it for what it is; a 5 month old sample.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.
Dated Nov. 9.2011

A - Pours a dark reddish-orange and clear. A two finger head that is a yellowish-tan. Good Retention.

S - Pine, Oranges, sweet carmel malts.

T - Sweet malts, then some citrus comes around. Finishes with a hop-grass flavor.

D - Good carbonation, sticky and sweet.

O - Sweet and malty. Lacking a hop kick.

3.24/5  rDev -21.4%

This brew pours a cloudy orange-red color with a creamy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is of fruit, and pine. The taste is hoppy, and piny. The mouthfeel is quite nice. Its very smooth. Overall, this brew is an extreme let down. Way too piny for my likings.

3.24/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours in a reddish copper color with a slight bit of head with a decent amount of lacing.

The aroma has sweet deep malts however dominate. You get some grapefruit and pine, but this really lacks aroma.

The taste gives a little kick of grapefruit and hops. Then it goes towards a malt finish of caramel, grassiness, and round mouthfeel. The bitterness is really woody and resiny. It's a strong lingering bitterness. Then the finish is almost chalky or acrid because it sticks on your tongue.

The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

I’m a big malt head, but there’s something about the bitter finish and the grassiness that doesn’t quite do it for me. It really is a malt bomb of a Double IPA, or more like an American barleywine.

This really did not do it for me. I've had it both 3 weeks fresh and on tap. That woody bitterness and weird finish is quite offensive.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I thought it was good but not a 4

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

We pour a golden-red, sunset orange colored brew. It holds a two finger head of tan foam that is quite billowy and shows nice retention. This recedes and leaves a sticky lacing about the glass, with big bubbles to cover the surface of the liquid. Haze is minimal and carbonation appears near nonexistent. The aroma is a rich caramel malts and light molasses. Hops are equally as present, with stickiness, oil, grass, and a big helping of citrus. Thick cherries, medicinal phenols, and clove spice add a little complexity to the top. Booze appears more with warmth and stings the nostrils. As we sip, we begin with that booze, which sours and puckers. The grain is thick and steely, with darkness of the chocolate variety apparent near the peak, which showcases more toasted and caramel malts, with an even balance of soapy hops. We conclude with more soapy hops and a sting of booze. The hops are also a bit citric, with a final revival of sweetened and cooked caramel malts. The aftertaste breathes of booze and copper, with a bit of grassy hop bitterness. The yeast finally comes in, with an additional metallic flavor and final bittering inclusion. The body is medium to thick, and the carbonation is medium. There is a thin creaminess, but this is nice, with good froth and a sticky smack to the lips. At the outset this is super drying, with a coiny metallic coat around the entire mouth. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks moderately well.

Overall, what we found to be most enjoyable about this brew was the rich color and ample head. The lacing and stickiness were quite attractive, making it easy to sink your teeth into this one. Where we lost points was in the taste, which gave a great deal of attention to the malts and general bitterness, while underplaying the hops to the point of them being seriously missed.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Good batch, expect the same with the upcoming brews

on tap at redbones

A - nice orange body to this with a powdery white head that has good retention and quality lacing.

S - nice grapefruit citrus smell to this and some hops. its not bad but it certainly isn't standing out for me.

T - again grapefruit citrus and a good hop bite at the back. mild alcohol finish to it as well. its tasty but really isn't doing anything to stand out from the crowd.

M - good carbonation. sticky and dry on the mouth but not too much.

O - not a bad brew. its not doing anything wrong but its kinda forgettable in its straight-forwardness.

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on September 14, 2009. Single purchased for $2.99.

A-Poured a golden amber hue with a one and one half finger head with modest retention and lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Aroma is predominantly caramel and other sugary notes. Hops are faint and in the background. What's there is resinous and piney.

T-Taste improved as it warmed, but tasted more like a barleywine than a DIPA. When cold, the taste was awful. IMO, the best DIPAs drink well cold and as they warm, and they don't loose their style characteristics. Too malty for a DIPA

M-Very smooth and well balanced.

D-This went down easy enough, but I would not readily reach for another. Taste improves as it warms. 10% ABV was masked very well.

I didn't like this beer. I wanted to. Great Divide has been inconsistent for me. Many of the best reviews are many years old, so I wonder if this beer has declined. I bought this from a highly reputable beer store in Portland and it was bottled six weeks ago, so I don't think it was skunked, but it was disappointing.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours out a syrupy caramel/brown hue – borderline looks like an amber. Thinnish half finger head of pure white briefly rests on top before fading completely away.

S: Pure pine pitch, this is a boiling vat of pine. There is a heavy malt backbone. A teetertotter of hops and malts.

T: Palette crushing bitterness but then followed so quickly by an overwhelming crème brulee sweetness. I would suggest that there is some pine, or grapefruit here. But, I really can’t tell.

M: Soda from a soda fountain where the syrup/soda water ratio is tweaked on the side of too much syrup.

O: In a double IPA I look for the flavors to be more intense throughout the spectrum, but not to be as overwhelming as a hydrogen bomb.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Dark rich amber pour with a big offwhite head. Tons of floaties (yeast?) If not for this, possibly a perfect appearance, but it was riddled with them and was very unexpected.. Nice hoppy smell, some sweet graininess, but quite a bit of alcohol present in the aroma as well, which kept it from having the great big bold hop aroma I hoped for. Taste is quite hoppy, very bitter, but tolerable. Drinkable, but not quite at peak enjoyment level at this level of bitterness. Sweetened up a bit as it warmed, and overall, the alcohol didn't detract from the flavor too much, but I like DFH's 90 minute Double IPA quite a bit better than this. Not bad, but not as good as I expected.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Pristine copper with a yellow hue. Thin white head that quickly thins out.
Smell malty, with piney hopss. Some pineapple and citrus.
Equal parts hops and malts up front. Citrus and some pineapple. Alcohol is assertive, especially on the finish.
Mouthfeel is slick and slightly crisp. Medium light body.
Drinkability is decent, but this one overall does not impress me, and the alcohol is a bit too assertive.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

A- Pours a beautiful orange, amber color with a one finger head. The head is lots of small bubbles and recedes quickly.

S- Citrus, yeast and some nice hop smells. Slightly floral smell makes it a nice brew to smell.

T- Strong boozyness is the first thing i get. The hops and malts come in perfectly, but dont hide the alcohol. I wouldnt expect a HERCULES douple IPA to hide the alcohol...Just not my particular taste to judge.

M- The flavors dont leave the mouth quickly, but this is a very good strong IIPA. Expect what you will get by just saying that name...

D- Strong and not my favorite brew but a nice IIPA! strong and packs a punch! Good on one but one really packs a punch! not my thing..

3.32/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance: Clear copper/amber with burnished copper leanings. Head is off-white, chunky, massive, and sticky as can be. Big clumps of chunky lacing stick to the glass. Deeper reds than expected, looks more in line with an imperial amber.

Smell: Huge biscuity sweet malts. Caramel malts. Caramel sweetness. Almost raw sugar sweetness before it warms. Big chewy malts push something close to molasses at times. Pine needles, grapefruit flesh, even some earthy/herbal leafy hop notes. Sweetness drops as the beer warms. Big malts and big hops in some weird overbalance.

Taste: Pithy, oily hops. Grapefruit rind and pine needles. Biscuity malty sweetness. Some nice caramel malts in the back. Mild nutty with a damp, herbal earthiness from the hops. Lots of big flavors. Lingering pithy bitterness. Leafy and vaguely grassy at times. Malts push ahead of the hops as the beer warms, keeping it sweet and oily in the long run.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium, but slick and smooth. Some lingering dryness. Lightly moderate carbonation.

Overall: Finishing more than a bottle of this was one of the 12 labors.

I like Great Divide on the whole. This ultimately loses out with it's weird attempt at balance. The malts just don't mesh with the huge hop presence and it drinks like 2 beers at the same time. A bit more depth and nuance, with a cleaner hop profile, would bump this in to I want to drink it again territory.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company