Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
NoHipTee

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance is just as expected. A yellowish amber with medium amount of head.

Smell is sweet and inviting.

Taste is again sweet with just a hint of bitter hops. The hops are a flavor accent and not the main train on which the sweetness rides.

Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable.

Overall a good beer. Would not hesitate to buy this beer again.

09-23-2011 18:14:37 | More by NoHipTee
TheHopCharacter

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

I poured this 12 oz bottle after eating some totinos pizza rolls, with which it went perfectly.

This cloudy IPA pours to a reddish amber color with less than one cm of head. When I say cloudy I mean cloudy, there are many white specks floating around throughout the glass hinting to its heaviness.

It smells of citrus and pine, with orange and grapefruit being prodominate, a slightly sweet raisin malt smell is preasent in the background.

At first taste the hops are pleasantly overwhelming, the citrus comes through strong with pine resin and a delighful malty sweetness tasting of raisin and caramel caressing the background. The finish is extremely piny and there is definitely a booziness to it but it isnt apparent until the finish and only compliments the wonderful hop character/malt.

I love this brew, it definitely deserved being my first review for BA.

09-23-2011 02:46:22 | More by TheHopCharacter
gueuzer

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap

App- Reddish amber with a minimal head but great lacing. Constant spider legs down the glass.

Sm- Piney hops backed by caramel and a little heat.

Ta- Powerhouse of grapefruit, pine resin, caramel and more pine resin. Intense, but in a good way. Booze is there, but not in the forefront.

Ov- I like the slightly more roasted character that this has as compared to other DIPA. Excellent, excellent beer.

09-22-2011 18:28:14 | More by gueuzer
bogus564

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

22 fl oz, poured into into a pint glass.

After a long day at work (don't get me wrong; I'm thankful to have a good job), it's nice to kick back and have a beer. This, I'm hoping, is one of the better ones. Let's give 'er a try...

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was an IPA (kidding!). It's got the nice dark cloudy orange color, it has the 1 cm orange rind colored head that holds for about two minutes. Off to a good start.

I smell orange, I smell a bit of pine, some roasted malt, some nut characteristics, I might be smelling a pretty good beer here. There's also a dark fruit, like a raisin or a prune.

It's quite a bit sweeter than I would expect, but the hops hit you in the finish. Up front, there's the roasted malt, I'm guessing raisins, orange, grapefruit, nuts, and pine are the obvious players. Burps well.

Mouthfeel is very good, almost great. It's medium bodied, well carbonated, washes nicely over the palate, with a dry and piny finish.

Although this beer is much sweeter than I expected it to be, I found myself liking it more than I thought I would. The flavors play well together, and it goes very well with pizza. Enjoy.

09-20-2011 23:55:22 | More by bogus564
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: copper red. Slight off white head. Fairly thick lacing that doesn't linger long.
Smell: Light grapefruit, cotton candy, hint of floral.
Taste: as the nose suggests. A hoppy bite that's nearly balanced.
Overall: nice effort. I'm not a complete hophead, can see that breed really digging this one.

09-20-2011 22:53:47 | More by cindyjeffsmith
Eriktheipaman

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a pretty clear copper with yeast still in suspension. White head that fades and nice lacing.

The smell is sweet tropical fruits with a good amount of malt as well.

The taste is on the same lines but with more alcohol coming through. Tropical sweetness from the hops and a nice caramel from the malt.

A good beer but over all doesn't do a whole lot for me. I'd take the lower ABV and get a little more hop bitterness from other IPAs.

09-19-2011 23:32:47 | More by Eriktheipaman
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into 13 oz tulip. Bottled on August 12th, thanks Great Divide. It is a lovely copper with a inch of sticky white head when slow poured . Smell is pine, carmel, some citrus, grass, and a little lemon. Taste that with a hint of booze, but really well hidden. Body is on the fuller side for the style and plenty of carbonation. Very easy to drink for it's abv, will grab this fresh when I can.

09-19-2011 21:42:29 | More by SawDog505
xnicknj

on tap at irish pol in philly

Pours a clear golden copper color, nice layering of white head, filmy retention, curtains of lacing everywhere.

One-two punch of staunch hops and sweet malt in the nose, pine and caramel with bitterness and a kick of alcohol.

Intensely bitter up front with a smack of grapefruit and citrus rind. Touches of pine bitterness, light fruit sweetness as well. Impressive caramel malt backbone, sweet and burly underneath the hop attack. Finishes bitter, dry, and boozy.

Fuller medium body, nice carbonation, sticky and tingly on the palate. Drinks nice despite the high abv, great example of balance between extreme hops and malt.

09-16-2011 01:22:59 | More by xnicknj
cmq103

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. My first Great Divide review. I read a lot of good things about this DIPA.

Appearance: A moderately aggressive pour got me a 1/4" off-white head. A nice orange-copper color with sticky lacing when the glass is tilted.

Smell: Piney citrus hops, malt, with a faint toffee aroma. I was expecting a stronger nose from this DIPA. A little dissapointing for me.

Taste: Moderate hoppy, piney, grapefruit bitterness. The malt tries to tame the bitterness in this losing battle. I would have liked a bit more of the floral citrus hops. Instead there is a dry piney bitterness that remains throughout. I would describe it as "bitter domination". The alcohol warmth in the finish is prominent.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, thicker fuller body with mild carbonation.

Overall: Note as smooth and malty as some of the more enjoyable DIPA's I've had. As noted before, this could use more of the floral citrus hops to make this truly great. I'm glad I tried it but I won't be seeking this one out again.

09-13-2011 00:35:05 | More by cmq103
ehammond1

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

A deep orange and auburn with a 2.5 finger bone-white head that stays and stays. Tons of lacing left down the glass.

Somewhat sweet aroma dominated by caramel and toffee, as well as some alcohol, and some muted aromas of old orange flesh and peel.

Extremely bitter, along with some alcohol harshness, coupled with sweet flavors: caramel, toffee, and bread crusts overshadow most of the pungent citrus hop presence.

Medium to thick bodied.

Not one of my favorites DIPAs. It's too sweet and boozy for my personal tastes.

09-12-2011 23:35:21 | More by ehammond1
ummswimmin

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

I had this beer in a D'Achouffe tall tapered glass to hold in the maximum amount of aroma.

On the pour I got a lot of foam. Each time it was about four fingers worth. The coloring is a lighter orange with a lot of inclusions.

Off the top I picked up wood and pine hops. There was a lot of alcohol presence as well.

In each drink I get the woodiness. There is also the pine hops. Following the bitterness I taste some grapefruit. The aftertaste was a lot of bitterness and some grapefruit. The bitterness is expected from the high level of hops. Also present was a lot of venous presence. The alcohol flavor was extremely strong at room temperature, which made the last six ounces challenging.

I docked the mouthfeel a little because a lack of balance is present in the after-taste. I had to follow this bottle with quite a bit of water to balance this.

09-11-2011 00:29:43 | More by ummswimmin
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle from the Potsdam IGA. Bottled June 16, 2011. From notes.

A - Poured with a slightly hazy medium copper colour with good carbonation and a half finger of off white head coming up. A little lace was left with a filmy retention.

S - Piney with grapefruit and lot's of tropical fruits and a touch of toffee.

T - Really strong, beefy hop punch with pine, grapefruit, pineapple, and floral notes with a light toffee and a fair amount of soapiness.

M - Faily bitter with good carbonation and a medium to full body. The bitterness carries a slight harshness with it.

O/D - Nice DIPA. Not as sweet as some others and very well hopped. Very drinkable and smooth, but slightly soapy and rough at the same time.

09-06-2011 13:58:56 | More by tbeckett
phiberoptik

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottled April 11, 2011. Im afraid I got the short end of the stick on this one. Did not realize until after I bought it that it was a bit old. I reserve the right to update this review once I get a fresh bottle.

Pours a rich, slightly hazy amber color with a bit of frothy cream white head. The head is gone in seconds but leaves a bubbly ring around the edges.

Smells of caramel maltiness with a hint of yeast up front. Missing the hops I expected but I get some faint remnants of some grapefruit.

All malt in this. Well, there is some nice hoppy bitterness in the front, then distinctive caramel notes in the middle with a warm finish.

Medium to full bodied with slightly above average carbonation.

Overall I am disappointed... with the fact that this bottle is almost 5 months old. I bet this is a much better beer when fresher. My ratings are slightly inflated because its not GD's fault I got an old one but I also wanted to rate it for what it is; a 5 month old sample.

09-05-2011 01:57:59 | More by phiberoptik
adamette

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a single at Save-On in Mentor a few days ago for $3.50 into my gold rimmed Ommegang goblet. “Bottled on April 11 1011” stamped on the lower right side of the label. This is almost 5 months old. I am sure it is not the best of circumstances but let’s see what we have here.

A Very light brown head over a golden orange body that has visible sediment floating about after I poured it. The head dissapeared within 60 seconds for this one (as compared to the recently reviewed Titan IPA) but I would expect that with the elevated 10% ABV. Really a good look. I enjoy the inclusion of the visible sediment. 4.5

S Sweet malt with some bitter hops and a warmth of alcohol. This is a really good smell within the style and it is not repeated by all DIPAs. The smell leaves me very interested in tasting this beer! 4.5

T Oh yes….I love a good DIPA that has plenty of sweet malt as a part of it! As the smell suggested, there is plenty of syrupy sweetness along with a strong hop presence and a nice, appropriate burn of alcohol. It is not to the level of my most favored DIPAs which are Southern Tier’s 2XIPA and Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster. I really enjoy the taste of this one, none the less, and it has held up for the almost 5 months since it was bottled! 4.0

M This is one big beer with a big mouthfeel from the syrupy sweetness to the bold bitterness and even that burn of alcohol that I already mentioned. A big, huge feel which is what I look for in this style. 4.5

D/O This is not particularly drinkable with all of its bigness and elevated ABV but I did enjoy it none the less. Overall it is a very good DIPA. 3.5

09-04-2011 03:46:00 | More by adamette
kflorence

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Pours a translucent, deep amber in color with a thick, creamy, white head atop that dissipates to a thin layer of cream and leaves plenty of lacing as you drink. Carbonation levels look perfect.

S: Surprisingly lots of malt on the nose; caramel, brown sugar, some light fruits, maybe grape and apple, and an underlying earthiness not unlike fresh cut grass. Slight floral, pine and citrus hop presence.

T: Again, caramel and brown sugar malts, light fruits and fresh cut grass mixed with pine resin and a bit of citrus. Finishes crisp and dry with bitterness. A bit sour and acidic; even though the bitterness must be coming from the hops, I found it hard to detect prominent pine or citrus notes. The alcohol is definitely present, which might be contributing to some of the acidity.

M: Smooth with a medium body, ample carbonation and a bit of creaminess. There is a slight oily quality from the hops, but it remains quite thin. Goes down easy enough, but really sticks to the back of the tongue and lingers for a bit.

O: This is a quality brew, but I'm afraid it's not for me. The higher alcohol content mixed with the lingering bitterness just made this too acidic and unbalanced for my palate and it sit heavy in my stomach. Took me quite awhile to finish off the bottle and I don't think I'll be seeking this one out again. That said, I'm sure this will please hop enthusiasts seeking a higher ABV. As my introduction to this brewery I was a little disappointed, but I'm pretty sure it's due to the style since the craft seemed top notch. Cheers!

09-03-2011 04:59:06 | More by kflorence
CrazyOtto623

Alabama

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Dark copper color with about a finger and a half of head that disappears fairly quickly. The smell is very hoppy with a little bit of fruitiness.The taste is similar to the smell with lots and lots of hops and some citrus flavor.

A great IPA overall.

08-28-2011 21:23:12 | More by CrazyOtto623
schoolboy

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Wow. This is a pretty darn good fit for me (tonight and most any night). Beautiful color and aroma. Lacing to die for. The taste is full bodied - lots of over the top hoppines. All this completely masks the alcohol.

I have another great divide to try in bottles, and I know I tried some of theirs when I was vacationing at Vail. Hercules willl be one to try again. Hopefully it is as good in a bottle as on tap.

08-25-2011 23:49:34 | More by schoolboy
jsprain1

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Pours a copper color with some more golden colored highlights. Head is thin and stays at about 1/8th of a finger, some lacing.
S- Smell initially was more malty than I expected but repeated wafts bring more and more hops. Slightly sweet but then piney and a bit of citrus hops. I am picking out more pine than citrus notes though.
T- There is enough malt backbone throughout to be sufficient with caramel notes poking through but pine hops are huge here. There is a bit of citrus again here but I would say that again thick piney flavors are the big winner.
M- SLick, almost oily on the tongue. Low carbonation adds to this heavy feeling but it sure makes the flavors linger.
O- A big beautiful IIPA. Definitely one that should be visited by any fans of the style.

08-22-2011 22:37:54 | More by jsprain1
suspect

2.88/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Bottle date of June 16, 2011.

A: Beautiful amber color. Aggressive pour leads to a slowly building coppery tinted white head that measures in about 1.5 fingers high. Lots of sticky lacing up and down the glass.

S: Malt-forward in the nose, not a ton of hops. This thing is only 2 months old and already it feels like it's lost freshness. The alcohol is present for certain.

T: Follows the nose directly. Malt-forward, poorly balanced and pretty hot. Really disappointing flavor.

M: Hop bitterness is here and finally this is like the IIPA that I like but it's too little, too late.

O: A solid disappointment but I'm chalking this one up to lack of freshness. I'll revisit with a bottle that's as fresh as possible.

08-22-2011 22:09:00 | More by suspect
3HovsepiansBrews

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A - A beautiful rich amber with a nice white head and lace.

S - Alcohol comes through right away. There is also hints of toffee, caramel, and fruitiness.

T - Initially, toffee and caramel come through the most. Then, the alcohol comes in and transitions into a sweetness and fruitiness (apples). This beer also has a teal-like herbal flavor that is truly amazing. The finish is a great bitterness that coats the back of your throat for a few seconds.

M - Full bodied and medium carbonation.

O - This brew has a really nice flavor that does a great job of assimilating with the high alcohol content. I would definitely enjoy drinking several of these and would have no qualms about doing so.

08-22-2011 05:53:51 | More by 3HovsepiansBrews
MoustacheHero

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Bomber I got as a gift poured into a pint glass.

A: A nice copper colour with a beautiful, creamy white head.

S: Surprisingly mild smell. I expected a hop punch, but got hops and fruity esters in a pleasing, easy on the nose aroma.

T: A strong hop flavor that is well balanced with hints of nutty and sweet malts.

M: Very creamy, fullbodied brew.

O: This is a great big IPA, but goes down easier than some pales thanks to it's balance and creamy body. 85 IBU's has never been so smooth.

08-18-2011 05:48:57 | More by MoustacheHero
Bonis

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled on date: June 16 2011

A - Pours a hazy copper color with a half inch of off white thick head. Head settles to a thin layer of bubbles after 5 minutes or so. Lace beautifully accompanies my glass as I consume.

S - Smells amazing. Intense resinous pine hops jump out along with a massive barrage of sweet caramel malt. There are some underlying citrus hop qualities, blending with the sweetness to offer my nose a nice treat. You can tell this isn't EXTREMELY fresh, but the aroma is pretty darn good. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

T - Piney resinous and citrus hops attack my mouth and throw a bitter punch. The bitterness doesn't linger like it does in many DIPA's. It's a clean bitterness that does it's job and then leaves. I'm struggling for words now. The malt dominance I was expecting is nowhere in sight. Very hop forward at this point in the beer's life, which is right on for the style. Alcohol is now noted, but still well hidden for what it is.

M - Thick and syrupy feel when in the mouth. Prickly hop bitterness. Nice clean finish. Medium carbonation.

O - If you are just getting into DIPA's, it is one that you need to try. No more walking by the $13.99 4-pk of Hercules. Just buy it. Check the freshness date. If it's no more than 2 months old, I guarantee it's delicious.

08-18-2011 02:50:22 | More by Bonis
superspak

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

12 ounce bottle into tulip, bottled 02-09-2011, so a bit aged. Pours slightly cloudy dark orange color with a dense 1 finger off white head with great retention that reduces to a thick lacing cap. Aromas of big caramel, orange, grapefruit, and some alcohol in the background. Decent aromas here, with decent strength. Taste of huge amounts of grapefruit, orange, caramel, and pine. Big sweetness on the front with a decent amount of bitterness on the finish that lingers with caramel, citrus, and pine flavors for a good amount of time. Much more malt forward as I expected. Medium carbonation and full bodied, with a slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden, only a decent warming present on the finish. Fairly easy drinkability for the alcohol level, but still quite a sipper. Overall, a very nice DIPA with nice flavor and balance; with good drinkability for the level of alcohol.

08-09-2011 05:41:25 | More by superspak
Coplains

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours an orange copper with a little head that sticks around. Very floral aroma with pine scent overtones. Taste is a good balance of malt and hops with a dry bitterness that sticks around long after each sip. A pretty goo iipa that I would purchase again.

08-07-2011 01:42:39 | More by Coplains
McNealc31

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A nice start with a hazy bronze color and big fluffy white head. Smells like piney hops and a bit of wood. Big round malt flavor followed by a hit of hops. Extremely well balanced. Long and intensely bitter finish. Very creamy texture and a lot of the hop hit comes in the finish rather than while you first drink it. Noticing quite a bit of orange in this brew.

I like it. Good balance not only between malt and hops, but among the different hops, too. Fantastic mouthfeel, as well.

08-05-2011 01:12:04 | More by McNealc31