Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Reviews: 1,560 | Ratings: 4,044
4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Hop bomb exploded in my house tonight. 22 ounce bomber poured a bright orange copper. Nice two finger head. Citrusy hop nose offing magic aromas. Super bitter. A hophead's dream. I'm glad I have been working out my palate this past year. Otherwise this would be too much. The piney hops really come through in the aftertaste. Nice lacing. I wanted this to be the best beer I have had in the past year. I may still have to defer to Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale. Double IPA's are enjoyable but may still be way too much. Who am I kidding, this is amazing!!! Bomber really settles in nicely on the palate after about a half a pint. The hops really hide the high ABV%. Great way to start the New Year.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz bottle, tulip glass

Pours a rich amber/mahogany color. Clear with some visible carbonation. Head is off white, slightly tan, creamy and moderate retention with sticky lacing.

Aroma was nice with pine hops, some citrus, and creamy. Might have picked up some vanilla.

Bold flavor of hops, but not overpowering. This had a nice bitterness, but did not kill the aftertaste. Well balanced with sweetness and some malts. Definitely picked up a nutty flavor, especially after a few sips. Alcohol incorporated nicely.

Decent mouthfeel, a little thick but nothing to complain about. Good carbonation. Another nice selection from Great Divide.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This 22oz bad boy looks very promising from the moment I pour it. Cloudy copper color, with a beautiful rocky head, which slowly recedes. The smell of this beer is wonderful. Very piney with hints of citrus. I can’t wait to taste due to the great smell.

The first taste is very hoppy and bitter. Almost overwhelming and I do not taste much except hops. The second sip has much better balance after my taste buds are dope slapped from the first sip (in a good way). This hop monster has a very good malt backbone that makes it balance the onslaught of hops. I really like this beer after the first couple of sips. The mouthfeel is excellent: thick, sticky, and refreshing. By the bottom of the bottle, I realize that this is a 9% abv beer. Alcohol is very well hidden, so the drinkability is also excellent.

This is my first Hercules and is definitely one of my favorite DIPA’s. I will have to keep this one in DBF.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

I decided to crack open my 22 oz. bomber of this tonight. This beer pours a nice amber color with a decent head (I probably would’ve had more head if it was a bit warmer when I poured it). It is also not cloudy like their Titan IPA. The smells are of mainly malty goodness, but there’s a bit of a piney citrusy hops scent as well.

The taste and drinkability are where it’s at. This beer is a perfectly balanced double IPA. The flavors up front are of the sweet malts, perhaps some caramel malt. Down in back, you get the tingle of the hops, piney and citrusy, like the scent. Though the alcohol content is high, you don’t know it in the flavor. It feels a bit thicker and heavier, but that’s to be expected. I have easily drunk most of this glass (and I still have about half the bottle left).

This beer is pure pleasure. If you like IPA’s and you want to move onto bigger beers, this is a great start and finish (though I would still recommend trying more and more). I have definitely found my favorite double IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bottle into a snifter

A - Hazy burnt orange in color with an intense pale orange head that hangs around for quite awhile. Fair amount of lacing. Definitely looks like a beer named Hercules should in my opinion...a very thick and sturdy look to it

S - Wow, potent nose for sure. Floral hops, complex malts, and alcohol is prominent as well. Like the appearance, it does justice to its name.

T&M - Toffee malts, spicy hops, and hints of fruit start off the taste for me, and it finishes with a malty/alcohol kick in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium to full with tons of flavor. A warming affect from the alcohol is present. Smooth. Unfortunately, the finish really started to wear on me: the blend of alcohol and malts really started to get a bit cloying at times; however, the kick at the end is probably intended and appropriate for the style.

D - Definitely a sipper; this is probably another characteristic of a DIPA. Like I mentioned, the finish did wear on me, and I did have trouble finishing my glass (although it should be pointed out that I'm very much a lightweight at times). Bottom line is that Hercules DIPA kicked my ass.

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow! I had this beer on tap at the brewery yesterday. I am not sure if it is was due to its freshness right from the source, its exceptional craft or both but it was one of the best Imperial IPAs that I have had to date.

The most striking aspect of this IPA was the aromas. I was amazed by the amount floral, citris, hoppiness coming out of the glass. Amazing aroma!

The taste did not disappoint. It is a well balanced Imperial IPA with tons of citris and florals. There must be a very thoughtful blend of hops going on here. The server was not forthcoming with the hop varieties in use. (I don't blame her.)

All in all this is an exceptional brew. Hop heads will be very pleased!

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A – Beautiful deep copper with a finger of off-white head and good lacing. Quite clear.

S – Tart citrus notes - orange, pineapple and grapefruit juice.

T – Very earthy bitterness right off the bat but perfectly balanced as the intense bitterness is soon subdued by a sugary malt sweetness. As the beer warms, the bitterness becomes even more offset by the malts. The citrus appears in the middle, predominately grapefruit peel. Piney notes linger on the back end. There is a bit of alcohol burn, even at colder temperatures. This increases as it warms as well.

M – Well carbonated and medium bodied. The finish is not dry but not too sweet either. Just right.

O – Everything you would want in an IIPA. Strong bitterness, well balanced with malt sweetness, flavorful hops, great aroma and a good amount of alcohol. No criticisms here. This beer ranks up there with the best of them.

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass with a nice IPA bronze color and a white head. Started up with rapid bubbling which kept the head for awhile giving me plenty of time to relax and enjoy.

Smelled pretty hoppy as I am no hop head. I was a bit intimidated by the double IPA description but from what I gather this one was put together right.

Tasted very nice. Verry hoppy but not nasty bitter. I was happy with the balance and was suprised that the hops could come out this much without the bitterness. Even the finish was smooth.

Also in the background were some fruity flovors that tasted very natural and clean. About half way through I caught a nice floral bouquet that I missed up front.

Small bubbles felt nice.

While I am not big into IPAs I'd never turn one of these down.

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

22 oz bottle from Consumer Beverage in Lockport, Ny bottled 9/9/11

Pours an orange color with white head, decent lacing after short retention

Aroma is dominated by citrus and malty sweetness.

I get worried with double ipa's because if they are not done right the flavor can have an orange juice like quality. With the aroma I was a little worried but the flavor is nicely balanced between the citurs and pine hops, malt sweetness and dryness from the alcohol. The bitterness is accertive but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is medium body and slightly prickly from the hops and alcohol.

I can't ask for more from a double ipa, this one does it right. Very drinkable, very american, I can have it again and again.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

You may notice that my individual category rankings are all over the board for this one. There's a reason...

A- Clear bronze with off-white head that lasts and leaves several layers of lacing on the glass.

S - Um. Earthy hops with really grainy caramel... I gotta be honest; all this really does is create a very real vomit character. Not good.

T - Wha?! Oh, I get it double ENGLISH IPA. Didn't see that one coming, but I only have my own biases to blame. Totally expecting the good ole American version. Very grainy flavor, especially from pale malt and caramel. The hops are there, but mostly in bitterness, not too much in flavor. They are earthy and grassy, but don't seem nearly close to the 82 IBU listed on the bottle. Totally grain dominated. It actually reminds me of an overly hopped maibock. Bottled on date is less than two months ago, so I can't blame it on being not very fresh.

M - This is a winner. Very VERY smooth carbonation and medium body. You can't feel a bit of alcohol.

D - If you plug your nose until you take a swig, it's extremely drinkable, due to the deft hiding of alcohol content. Not bad if you just get past that smell.

I haven't read a review of this one yet as not to bias myself. I'm really interested in what others have to say. This being a DIPA be style, I'm guessing it's a little inflated in its score.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Came back to re-rank this one higher. The more I try this one the better I like it.

If you're considering this one, just do it. Not one to pass up.

A - Pours a amber color with a finger of head that holds

S - Hops, citrus, and alcohol in the nose

T - Very hoppy up front and lessens to end with a bittersweetness

M - Full body, some alcohol warmth, nice carbonation

D - Very good brew, the only thing I cons of this beer is I think it is too sweet, but overall an enjoyable experience.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to bort11 for this!

Bottle poured into a large tulip.

Pours a fiery amber/copper with alot of suspended sediment. Does not appear to be a hazy brew but it's tough to tell with the amount of yeast in suspension. Smaller head but the lace does cling nicely to my glass.

Grapefruit, muted florals, cracker in the yeast and slightly metallic tones dominate the smell. Only very muted alcohol or malt aromas make it through. Very nice.

Wow.Though very well hopped what hits me first are the things I could not smell as much, First the alcohol; a pleasant,warming spirit like alcoholic taste. Second the malt profile is huge relative to the faint malt aroma and while it isn't nearly the backbone that some doubles use it is absolutely appropriate here.
The hops are more prominent at the finish and are tart and the IBUs are very well appropriated. Pretty dry in the finish as well, I'm betting a Cali yeast strain.

Mouthfeel is on spot. This is how I want my doubles to feel.
slick but not oil slick and well carbed with viscosity a bit less than a scotch or robust porter.

Highly, highly quaffable. Every sip gets longer.

Very solid double, I might be in love. I got this in trade and realized several weeks later that it's available in Mass. so I'll be picking up a case of this next time I head south.

EDIT: Lord, save my soul. I just realized that I am the 666th reviewer of this Hellishly good shit.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

pours a super cloudy dark amber from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass. smells super hopped and malted up. a lot going on in the smell. maybe some caramel lots of hops. taste is super bitter alcohol malty hoppy madness. not as alcohol tasting as one would think. very balanced tasting. a monster sweet malt assault with some extremely well balanced but very bold hop character. tastes awesome, just how you want an IPA to be. I imagine this is how the first IPA's were. mouth feel light carb easy to drink but, at 9.1% i can only handle a 22oz so drinkability not so good for me.
exceptional brew.

This beer has become my new favorite IPA. It's amazing. This has become my new standard for IPA's. This beer is a must try for IPA lovers in my opinion.
excellent excellent excellent!
ALL BOW TO THE KING! HERCULES DOUBLE IPA!

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into an oversized wine glass. A burnt copper color, and an agressive pour yields a large, sticky off white head. Good lacing and retention. Aromas are of caramel malts. The first sip is super hoppy, but the malt kicks in and brings this back quite nicely. Citrus, vanilla, and bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation, with a creamy texture. An incredibly drinkable beer, great flavors and texture and the alcohol is well hidden. It's not my favorite DIPA, but it's definately another winner from Great Divide!

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Smell: sweet malt, toffee, biscuit, some butter, and hoppy notes of grape, grass, citrus. Really nice smell.

Taste: surprisingly (for me) smooth and creamy, sweet malt, toffee, biscuit and a lot of american hops - grape, apples, resin, grass. Some salt as well, and very bitter. I like it, especially the balance between smooth sweet malt and heavy, bitter hops. However, I did detect some alcohol, and the hops are not as rich in flavours as, I believe, Rouges IIPA. Or perhaps its the bitterness that dominates too much. Or - perhaps its just me not fully appreciating this style.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. No freshness information on the bottle.

Huge contrast in the appearance. Almost two fingers of white head sitting atop a really vivid, enticing burnt red body. the head leaves a ring at the top of inconsistent, sticky white lacing, but there is little continuation between the top of the lacing and the top of the head line.

it's got that IPA grapefruiness, but at the same time there's some sweet, underlying pine in the nose as well. a really balanced smelling IPA. even some hints of orange and tangerine; a nice hybrid smell- not totally oozing of fruit, but not like your drinking a forest.

beer's funny sometimes; take for instance how troegs nugget nectar has a higher IBU than this beer, yet i doubt in a blind tasting anyone would be able to tell. i'm not saying this reflects poorly on hercules, the bitterness is after all, with IPA's and DIPA's supposed to be there. it's just amusing. let's move on to what it actually tastes like.

this is an odd beer to taste; unlike a lot of IPA's, it starts with a lot of pine and finishes sweet (for an example of the previous style, try a Victory Hop Devil). Except that once it finishes sweet, the sweet finishes becomes pine again...only to once again return to being sweet. this beer is really nice, because it doesn't have the big flavor progression, like the finish. rather, there is a constant flavor, which is a noticeable balance and contrast between grapefruit (none of the other fruits show up here) and pine. they work very well together, and there's even the slightest hint of cocoa powder. not really expected, but it's pleasant.

there isn't a lot of carbonation in the mouthfeel, but there is a lot of lingering pine/ hop bitterness that seem to just kind of stay in the mid-palate. that's probably the biggest impeder of making this a smooth drinking beer. the body is quite substantially smooth and pretty textured; it's pleasingly easy to drink, save for the finish at times. but a nice beer, none the less. my roomate, someone who is happy to drink esb's and nothing else and not a huge fan of hops, even liked the beer, save for the mildly uncomfortable moments of excessive bitterness in the finish.

beer's funny sometimes; i go out of my way to make mention of an excessively piney, almost-uncomfortable finish, and before i know it, all that remains of a bomber is a half-filled duvel tulip. i guess that should be the first test of a beer's drinkability- is it a beer that you can forget how much you've had from a bottle if you're transferring into a glass? in this beers case, yes, i can, and did. despite the pine finish, it's a pretty easy drinking Double India Pale Ale; it's not Dogfish Head 90 minute, but make no mistake, it's in that second tier, just below the top, where there is one thing that keeps them from being top style. in the case of hercules, it's just a little too piney at times; if that rounds out a little it's up there with the pantenton-level beers of the style. as it stands right now, it's just short of being great. which is perfectly acceptable.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

What an amazing beer!

I have always enjoyed IPA style beers and boy does this one take the "cake."

It poured into a Great Divide Cervoise Goblet nice orange/copper/amber colored. A nice copper head topped it off.

The taste and mouthfeel of the beer were fantastic. I was able to detect a nice malt backbone that melded very nicely with the very hoppy tones of this DIPA.

A fantastic nose for sure as well. You can sense the alcohol, but the hop overtones are more assertive. The two biggest profiles were the citrusy and pine notes of the hops.

I love this beer, but you can only have a bit as it is 9.1 ABV and not one you can drink all night long without some undesired affects.

This went VERY nice with some spicy chicken Chimichangas that we whipped up!

Happy drinking!

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Bought at Whole Foods-Arroyo Pkwy Pasadena, Calif.
Bottled on August 5, 2010

Poured an amber color with barely to no head into Steinlager glass. The smell of citrus and hops hits the nose. It has a sweet taste with a definite hoppiness. Good mouthfeel, not too overwhelming. A very slight bitterness on the backend. Good drinkability with a good alcohol bite to it.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer with great feel and awesome taste! The smell is mesmerizing. The hops jump out and tease your nose. Once it hits the palate, the hoppiness and bitterness pair perfectly together. Overall an awesome beer and definetly a go to for a starter beer. But not a finisher. It would be a waste to numb your taste buds before drinking this beer!

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%

Purchased a growler from the brewery and poured into a Breckenridge 471 IPA half pint glass. I know; sacrilegious.

Color is that of applejuice. Kind of this caramel orange shade. Decent amount of head which recedes to a single layer of bubbles. Elegant lacing from the start. Low carbonation, which is expected from a draught product stored in a growler overnight. High fill on the growler and a distinct psssst upon opening.

Barely perceptible level of band-aid phenols. Malt sweetness appears to control the aroma. Spicy floral hops are wonderful, but not in your face. The aroma is actually quite tame.

The flavor is where the party is! Excellent balance between the crystal malt flavor and that of the high alpha acid hops. Nice citrus and pine character with a caramel/toffee complement. Bitterness is very smooth...probably due to using hops that are low in co-humulone, a harsh bittering acid found in hops. The malt bill melds perfectly with the hop usage in this beer. In my opinion, probably one of the best tasting strong IPAs, double/imperial, that I have found (and I had a Pizza Port/Stone brewer as a roommate and I cycle with the Avery crew).

Fantastic body on this beer. Nice and full...

If you like this style of IPA, this should definitely be on towards the top of your list. If you cant get it, beermail me and we can work a trade. The only thing i hold against this beer is its aroma, I would like to see a ton more of it.

GD made the right move when the picked up their new brewer last year!

Music enjoyed whilst sampling: Hooray for Me by Bad Religion

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

3.59 single at Blue Max, Burnsville, MN.
Bottle to Mug

A: Golden orange with little head, yet plenty of lacing.

S: I may have to get my nose checked out, because this is the third beer in a row i want to say smells like grapefruit. slight hint of pine too.

T: Tart hoppy citrus pine

M: Coarse

O: A great beer, but not necessarily a great double IPA

4.01/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours clear and slight amber, with a scant head. The aroma is hoppy with some citrus, maybe it's grapefruit or mango. Nothing surprising.

The taste follows with a more hoppy and bitter hit right away. The citrus is sour, then cream and caramel malts start to balance the thing out. No burnt char, just some toast. Nice handful of things going on. Ends dry and a bit resiny.

This has a heavy feel, chewy, could be the 10% which isn't so hidden. The bitter hoppy forwardness makes this drink like a West Coast IPA rather than a (usually more citrus/juicy) DIPA. Focused and good drinking beer. Not bad.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is just as expected. A yellowish amber with medium amount of head.

Smell is sweet and inviting.

Taste is again sweet with just a hint of bitter hops. The hops are a flavor accent and not the main train on which the sweetness rides.

Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable.

Overall a good beer. Would not hesitate to buy this beer again.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark cloudy amber color with a big creamy white 3 finger head. The head settled into a thin cap but had a heavy ring that left a thick band of lacing all around the glass.
I swear the first whiff I got was of bubble gum. Maybe even the first two. After a swirl the bubble gum gave way to a peppery pine scent with hints of citrus.
I can feel the bitterness at first sip. Also in the front was sweet malts followed by a splash of lemon/citrus flavor. The end is moderately bittering, grassy and a touch sweet.
This DIPA feels a hair watery. Not in a bad way mind you but not as creamy as others. This could be either good or bad depending on my mood. Moderate carbonation and dry after taste rounds out a quality drink.
This beer is quite drinkable for the style. The lighter body and lack of alcohol presence makes it easy going. The alcohol will catch up eventually though so proceed with caution.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company