Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,534 | Hads: 3,897
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Golden honey color, thin white head with not much lacing, lightly carbonated

S - Bright citrus notes, sweet, very hoppy

T - Sweet citrus hoppiness up front with a caramel/butter toffee finish

M - Perfect smooth feel, just the right amount of carbonation, not too resinous like many DIPAs, hop and caramel/nut tastes linger in the mouth nicely.

D - Extremely drinkable which was surprising for 10% alc. the lingering taste makes you want to sip more and more.

Overall, a very well rounded DIPA, nothing was too over the top. (533 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Picked this up in a 22 oz. bomber and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Appearance: Pours with a really nice fluffy, white head and is dense to start and then fades into some very nice lacing on the glass. The color is a very nice orange/gold color.

Smell: Very hoppy in the nose. Pretty much what I would have expected. Chewy is what came to mind.

Taste: There was an assault of hops up front, but it mellowed out pretty quickly. Suprising more balanced that I would have expected. It finished very sweet and malty. I felt that alcohol was pretty well hidden for 9.1 abv.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and coating, but not really enjoyable.

Drinkability: I would enjoy again, but the mouthfeel and sweet aftertaste make 22 oz. more than enough. (738 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer pours a reddish copper with a small tight white head.
The aroma is nice mixture of malt and hops with a slight grassy note.
The taste starts with a bitter citrus hop punch that is quickly balanced by the malt. This is a very well balanced big beer. The alcohol at 9.1% isn't overpowering but you can tell it's there.
It has a very full mouth-feel, nicely carbonated, and is very drinkable. It would be easy to drink more of this than would be wise.
This is definitely one of the best Double IPA's I've tried. (518 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a medium copper with a decent head. The head dissolves slowly and leaves a bit of lacing. You could almost say the aroma is all hops but after searching I noticed what I believed to be a hint of grapefruit smell. The flavor is typical IPA, with a bit of a pop at the end. I'm still sticking with it being a citrusy note. Carbonation seemed appropriate for an IPA giving that medium body. All in all a great beer I hope to experience again. (445 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in an oversized wine glass, bottled on 12/31/2009 This poured a very clear, reddish gold. Decent head with good lacing. Allot of grapefruit smell.

Tastes, very smmooth balanced, slightly caramel? With a small bite at the end. Very nice overall,the strengh is definetly hidden behind the the balance.

No idea why I haven't tried this sooner, but I intend to keep this in my regular DIPA rotation. (404 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: From 12 oz bottle, dark hazy orangem minimum head that dissipates quickly, slight lacing.
Smell: Very citrusy aroma.
Taste: Malt forward, hoppy finish. The taste left on the palate is pine. Some alcohol burn, in a good way. Thi sbeer is very hoopy but the malt presence balances the hops for a very positive overall taste experience.The malts keep this from being a puckerfest but it does not overpower the hoppines. Excellent balance. Long hop finish.
Feel: Decent mouth coating, it does not leave the mouth dry. Refreshing.

when I first saw this in the store I snickered at the name and label, but so glad I tried it. Excellent offering from Great Divide. This is a very balanced beer, a little something for everyone! (735 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

wow. I love love love this beer.

Had it for the first time just a few weeks ago. Poured amber colored, almost a bit cloudy too. Just a bit.

The hops are dominant. And it is good. :) There is also a quite pleasant citrus flavor, a bit floral. Extremely enjoyable.

I'm not a big IPA guy, but this one was awesome. A must have. (336 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

Too malty for an IPA or Double IPA in my opinion. Just not my cup of tea. I like strong IPAs, but much prefer ones with a crisp, clean, dry, hoppy finish. In fairness, Great Divide describes this beer as "hoppier and maltier" than a typical IPA. I think "malting up" an IPA makes little sense. It's almost as if the malts and hops are competing for the palate and it becomes chaotic, a sensory overload of sorts. It's a serious beer, I would drink it again, and I would rate it as a good beer in general. But I expect something a bit different in a true IPA. I'd have to give this one a C+ or a B- (597 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: a thick copper color real hazy and a good amount of carbonation. slightly off white head is about 1.5 fingers and left a thick lace down the glass as it went away.

S: real piney hoppy smell right off the bat for me with undertones of citrus.

T: big citrus flavor mixed with the piney hops. light malty alcohol flavor at the end for me.

M: big and full bodied. really creamy and thick to me. real pleasant on my tounge

Overall enjoyed this beer a lot very filling. def a one and done beer maybe two depending how im feeling. it is real hefty as the label on my bottle says. this may have placed in my top 10 beers maybe even top 5 (638 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

So lets see if this beer lives up to its mighty name.
Served from bottle into a hefe glass, this beer already smells fruity and sweet, almost peachy.
The color reflects the same. A cross between orange and peach color with a thick arrangement of floaties.
First taste brings a hop kick and a malty sweetness that comes through, but not enough to cover the alcohol taste at the finish.
Suprisingly this beer warmed nicely to a nectar taste and not much lacing to speak of, but altogether the beer improved as it reached its end.
I like the Eleven and the Maximus much better, but would recommend this to at least try if you like Double IPAs. (647 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer - it reminded me of the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. The only weird thing is it had a bunch of floaties. It was like drinking a home brew - I had to leave the last 1/4" in the bottom.

Beyond that, this beer is actually on the sweeter side given that it's an IPA. Lots of malty citrus on the front end, some nice balanced fresh hop bit on the back. The alcohol was easier to detect compared to the Dogfish Head 90. (439 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I expected a great beer and it proved to be so much more than that.

A- Toasted oak-amber colored. Slightly cloudy but quite inviting.

S- Dominant malt smell, with a caramel overtone. Subtle hints of spicy hops.

T- Well balanced, maltier than most Imperial IPAs i've tried. Almost too malty when compared with others within its class, but beautifully constructed when considered on its own.

M- Heavy. Smooth.

D- Very drinkable considering its alcohol content and final gravity. (483 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Had a 12 oz serving at Uber tavern last night. This is a really big beer with an emphasis on malt and lesser so on hops as I prefer my IPA's. It drinks like a barley wine with a great syrupy mouthfeel. A bit too sweet for my tastes.

appearance: Nice deep copper color with slight head.

Smell: Big malty nose

taste: Lot of sweetness with minor amount of bittering hops with perhaps some floral that comes from dry hopping?

Mouthfeel: Fantastic, you know you've got a meal in your glass!

Overall: A nice beer if you like your beers big with a lot of malty sweetness. I would prefer something more aggressively hopped. (621 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

Very impressive overall.

Strong ABV, but hidden well by the high hops. Good bit of yeast floats at the bottom of this one. (not a bad thing.) Appearance and mouthfeel are as good as any out there!

Special Note: My wife tried to annoy me by attempting to chug this one down before I could try it. I HAD THE LAST LAUGH, as she shuddered for 10 minutes afterward! This is definitely an intensely flavored sipping beer... enjoy at your leisure. (447 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Bought on recommendation from an employee at Big C's liquor, comes in a four pack for 9 bucks. Pours an inviting light amber/ copper colour, with a finger of white bubbly head. In the nose I get mainly alcohol and malt, with the hops not as present although for a double ipa I expected them to be more prominent. The hops really come through in the taste and give balance to the sweet malts and syrupy alcohol. The flavour also develops nicely over the palate, showcasing each of the individual ingredients nicely. Although I am not a fan of a syrupy mouthfeel in beers it is hard to avoid in a 10%abv brew and this beer does a good job of covering it up.

Excellent brew, would heartily advise any IPA lover to give it a try!

- Cheers, matt (745 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bomber into a pint glass. Bottled 2/7/14.

A: Pours a deep clear reddish brown, darker than expected. Off-white thin head, but pretty lacing. An aggressive pour on the second bomber yielded a thick two fingered head that thinned slowly.

S: A little piney and earthy. Not strong at all.

T: Smooth pineyness up front, some grapefruit at the end. Very nice drying bitterness late. More piney/earthy than citrusy. ABV 10% really well hidden.

M: Medium carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: One of the best Colorado DIPAs. Smooth early, bitter late. Extremely drinkable for the alcohol content. Not as complex as some of the best west coast and Vermont DIPAs, but very solid. (669 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

This is my first review and I chose a doozy of a beer for number one. I love IPAs so it only stood to reason that I would love an IPA on steriods. Geeeezus...thats what came out of my mouth after the first sip. My tongue was not ready for that. I almost wish this weren't a double because I think without the high alch. content it would be amazing. Its still quite good nevertheless.

Appearance- Beautiful beer. poured a redish orange with a big frothy head that lasted.

Smell-ah, I love the IPA smell. Very fresh and earthy. Stings the nostrils.

Taste- all I can think of is fresh cut grass, or some sort of herb. Very fresh and crisp but I think the alchahol content takes away from the crispness I love in IPAs. Still, delicious.

MF-Kinda sticky, leaves a grassy film in the mouth.

drinkability- not as drinkable as the normal IPAs I like, but for its alchahol content it is very, very drinkable.

Overall-I wan't ready for the biggness of this beer although I don't know why it bieng called Hercules and all. The more I drank the more I got over this bigness and really enjoyed the fresh grassy goodness. Good stuff. (1,137 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

I had this @ the brewery

Appearance: A light golden color

Smell: Hoppy, but not as strong as most double IPAs I've had.

Taste: Hoppy but not as bitter as I was expecting.
Mouth: kind of a oilyness to it but not in a bad way.
Drinkability: I could drink it all day. (269 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

From a 12 oz. bottle, poured an orangish amber with lots of lacing. The hops definitely comes through on the nose but with some caramel maltiness also.

It has a nutty/caramel sweetness come through up front but then BAM comes that hops. The hops come through as citrus and piny finishing with a very nice floral flavor.

The mouth feel and viscosity of the beer is great as it allows those citrus/piny/floral notes to linger. It has excellent drinkability and I honestly wish i had one (or two) more to go with this one. (523 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, drinking this beer is basically no different than just eating a handful of hops. In all seriousness, this is a great beer. It pours a beautiful rich red amber with a slight haze. Lacing with a disappearing head. This beer hits you across the face with hops, and the sting stays with you throughout the whole experience. Great hop balance! (343 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -9.2%

Had this beer on nitro-tap at a local bar. Heavy and dark amber in color. Very citrus smell which makes sense for a 10% alch beer. Not as hoppy as I would have expected form a double IPA but hops are definitely there. Lots of caramel malt and citrus flavors are pretty forthcoming. Overall a really good beer drink a few of these and you'll be feeling good. (357 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a deep amber beer with strong beige head, it smell hoppy and fruity : banana feeling. Small carbonation, first taste clearly malty and sweet turns into strong hoppiness. The bitterness is agressive due to double quantities. When the aftertaste comes, you feel it straight. Good mix bettween malts and hops. (312 characters)

The icon. The measuring stick. The ideal to which all DIPAs must be compared. Balance, balance, balance. Hoppy, malty, yeasty, an aroma to die for. I hate the funkiness of Simcoe hops - none apparent here. I don't care for the onion / garlic overtones of Summit hops - none apparent here. What's here is an intense hop profile with 10% ABV that's so earthy, so balanced, so nuanced, that you really have to exercise some restraint to not forget what a kick in he backside you're enjoying. I've never had Heady Topper or either of the Plinys - they're on my "Ice Bucket" List. I'll try them when I get the chance but I'll be shocked, really shocked, if they measure up to Hercules, according to my palate. This is as good as it gets. (732 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6%

Tasted at brewery tap room during GABF, Sept. 2006. A crisp rusty autumn color with a fluffy head that clung to the glass. An incredible fresh, vegetal citrusy aroma that filled the large tasting room bowl glass. The taste left solid impressions from front to back with good balance between malt and hop without too much citrus. This was one good beer. Would like to have tasted it with some more age. (401 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a perfect reddish-amber into my St. Feuillien glass. Small head, but sticks around forever, and some nice lacing.

Aroma is classic big IPA...pine, citrus, and alcohol. Good stuff.

Taste is a huge hops blast...delicious if you love this style. As it warms, some malts come through, but this is a big hop beer.

Mouthfeel is great...neither too thick nor too thin. Very drinkable given the hops assault.

This is a great exemplar of the style. (451 characters)

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company