Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A- pours a dark amber color... haziness in the glass. Sediment appearing, shows its not to fresh... big white head... quickly dissolves to a thin ring on the beer... wavy lacing to the glass

S- hop resin, piney sap smack, grassyness, buttery malt

T- piney resin, sweet buttery malt,

M- smooth and kind of creamy, medium body ... moderate carbonation ... hoppy ending for a lingering upon minutes on the tongue and mouth

O- this is good but I wish I had a fresh bottle to review... I can see where it would take off but this bottle falls short due to age... overall though with age, still holds it own for a DIPA

warrenout330, Nov 21, 2012

JefferyYoung, Feb 24, 2014

Dirt, May 28, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 650ml bottle dated July 22, 2005.

Very cloudy appearance in an orange amber color-nice. Creamy foamy 1 finger head that leaves plenty of sticky lacing throughout with a bit of sediment.

Smells grassy, hoppy, sort of malty and also sweet with sticky notes again. There is also a bit of citrus/grapefruit notes detected.

Tastes largely of hops, but not too strong and bitter. I feel like the 10% ABV can be detected near the end of each taste. The malt presence is stronger than I would have thought and the grapefruit notes are much stronger than in the smell.

Medium body mouthfeel overall. Smooth for all of the ABV and as much of a hopbomb that this is supposed to be.

Because it is so strong in its flavors and with a 10% ABV, I don't think that I could drink alot of these over and over.

Overall, I thought that it was a good DIPA, but not as outstanding as I would have expected. I'll try it again as it has a great reputation (and maybe the age of my bottle had something to do with not completely overwhelming me) but I wouldn't say that it is the best DIPA that I have ever had.

jspruit, Jan 09, 2010

jtrockchalk, Nov 19, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Beautiful hazy glowing burnt yellow with a magnificent cake-like head that lines the glass like icing. Really nice lace on this bad boy.

S: The nose is full of hops with a touch of citrus rind. An extremely clean smelling, well balanced offering with the faintest hints of pine.

T: The hops come through first and strongest, eventually giving way to a grapefruit back then alcohol. Not a whole lot of alcohol on the palate, but you feel it after swallowing; this beer warms your stomach.

M: A nice medium body with a hefty dose of carbonation. Great body.

D: Another exemplary offering from Great Divide Brewing. This would pair nicely with summer evening grill fair.

FleeVT, Mar 24, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Monstrous 3.5 finger fluffy head off the pour. Red/rusty tinged amber, clear and just plain juicy-looking. Great.

Pine needles and overbearing caramel malt in the smell. Not much sharpness to it. Get the feeling this is going to be a bit cloying.

Citrus-pine-aspirin hops at first, all quickly overwhelmed by the massive malt backbone. Unreconstructedly sweet without the promised bitterness to balance it out. Super-flavourful but unbalanced. Bit of alcohol heat in the finish. Bit of soap/vegetable as it warms. Glorious creamy mouthfeel.

I could have maybe one more. Over-the-top, but not in the way I was expecing. I've had an older bottle of this and didn't review it on account of it's age, but my impressions with this one are similar. Maybe it doesn't travel well? Overrated.

Parrotshake, Nov 10, 2009

dbert21, Sep 08, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Arkay, Sep 29, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Pours a clear copper with around a finger of slightly golden head.

S: An invitingly resiny scent. Nice strong smell of pine hops.

T: As expected the hops pack a strong punch up front; however, malts still play a strong well as well. Hops aren't as dominate as I expected but the balance is pleasant.

M: Medium bodied and the carbonation is just right.

D: Surprisingly high. Alcohol is well hidden and I could easily drink several of these. Think I may be adding this one to the regular rotation.

alli4051, Mar 06, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a DFH Signature Glass

A- A nice copper color with a nice big beige head that actually dissipated fairly quickly after the pour. Looks like a great DIPA!

S- Hops? Where are you? The initial smell I had to check the bottle to make sure this was truly a DIPA! I was thrown off. My first sniff brought aromas of a nutty sweetness like pecans. Then the malt sweetness made its presence known. And in the very back some hops were being detected.

T- Again, I was missing the hops. Don't get me wrong, this beer was good but it was not what I was expecting with a DIPA on the label. This beer seemed to be VERY balanced. The malt sweetness was there, the hops were there but it wasn't wearing away at my enamel.

M- Good mouth feel. Seemed to be moderate in body and good carbonation.

O- A good beer, just not what I was expecting with a DIPA. I'm wonder how old this one was....

Pecafaced, Apr 11, 2011

RandyJ, Nov 14, 2011

iskeptopotamus, Feb 20, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

OCSA_1978, Oct 12, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottled Sept 30 2010.. Enjoying Feb 13 2011...

A - This beer has a beautiful way of making the bubbles fill the glass. I'm using a standard unetched pint glass and bubbles are just slowly kinda drifting to the top not necessarily racing indicating a nice body. Head is DIPA ish. Not much oomph initially but has lasting power. Very pretty amber color.

S - Not really that much going on in the aroma besides some piney/floral smells its clearly all hops. There is a slight metallic smell thats hard to put my finger on.. Maybe it will come through on the taste.

T - Very bitter. Maybe my palate is not quite ready for this beer. The metallic (for lack of a better descriptive word) smell was just the alcohol which is pretty evident in this offering. I feel like I'm not actually getting much flavor. It seems like its all bitterness and alcohol. I know some people are into just that combination but it seems just a little imbalanced to me. Tastes like pinecones.

M - Excellent body and carbonation. Exactly how a DIPA should feel in your mouth.

D - Ehh... idk.. this is a tough call for me. I don't want to call out a beer that may not be the freshest of its kind... but I was not too impressed by this offering. I would certainly try it again given the opportunity... but I won't be seeking out Hercules IPA as my DIPA of choice.

Dave128, Feb 13, 2011

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

andant, Mar 03, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

** TAKEN FROM NOTES

Pours nice dense white head that sticks around for most of this tasing. Laces all the way down.
Deep orange - Copper look, typical of an this style IPA...Looks Delicious!

Smells of...what else? HOPS! Piney, citrusy, oily hops! Seems pretty dominant with a little bit of malt in the background.

Tastes start with a blast of hops of Caramel and Malt. Finishes a bit spicy with more hoppy bitterness and smooth. The mouthfeel of this one is a bit on the smooth side that is almost "milky" Its a good thick, solid tasting beer

My second Great Divide beer. Another solid one at that! I very much enjoyed this beer.

jhammel01, Sep 12, 2009