Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: pours a slightly cloudy and a bit light ruby color with a big fluffy white head on top.

Smell: Plenty of those nice earthy hops that the Titan has with a similar sweet malt heavy backbone. The piny hops have overrun this aroma though and the ever so slight citrus hops have hid in the background.

Taste: Nice big piny flavor hits first. Second comes in the spicy hops that tingle the tongue. No huge bitter bite here, rather a nice bitter overtone with a sweet malty, creamy backbone that washes it away. Not nearly as bombastically flavored as the over hopped ruination/double simcoe/etc. However that bombastic over hopped flavor is why I like DIPA's, so unfortunately this great balanced brew will take a slight hit from me.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean yet pretty heavy.

Drinkability: Probably one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had to date, but this beer is pretty much an amped up Titan, which disappoints me a bit. One of my favorite things about DIPA's is that whenever I get into a rhythm of craving hops I can get a weeks worth in one huge DIPA, this beer leaves me hanging a bit. Still great, just not my idea of double.

4.29/5  rDev +4.1%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Bronze and copper color with a thin head in my glass. Sticky lace throughout. Very big floral, herbal and earthy nose. Mega hop influence in this bomber. The tase is big, fat fucking hop balls. Much meatier than your typical double IPA. Citrus? Fuck no! Piney and hoppy is more like it. One big schlonged brew. Chewy mouthfeel. A single bomber affair for me. If you're into seriously aggressive hops, this is for you.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance - Clear copper color with a creamy off-white head.

Aroma - Fresh cut pine aroma.

Taste - Smooth pine resin hop flavor floating on a solid malt backbone.

Overall - Really good ale. Not as complex as Titan IPA but really goon none the less.

4.16/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 22oz into my Zatec fluted glass. Gorgeous fluffy 3 fingers of white head. Decent retention and nice lacing. Nice full bodied amber color. Smells of sweet malt up front. Actually, that's all I smell. Malt. Tastes very earthy, not floral or citrusy really. Sorta sweet. Nice lingering bitter finish. The mouth is really nice and drying, bubbly and creamy. It's scary that this is 10%. Feels like 7. Kinda one dimensional flavor and nose-wise, but not a bad beer by any means.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this on tap at a party last year, and I just finally got around to re-visiting it on my latest DIPA kick.

A - Pours a nice copper gold. You can see that it's carbonated properly from the very first pour. Doesn't generate too much foam and retains a nice head long after the initial pour.

S - More malt that I had expected from a DIPA. I much prefer the hoppy piney scent, but it's just not here. Doesn't make it a bad brew, just not what I had expected.

T - Again the malt is the base of the beer. A little more bitter than your typical DIPA.

D - Goes down smooth. I'm enjoying my 2nd glass as I type this review and I think the 10% is just now catching up to me. Someone is going to sleep well tonight :-)

M - Again you could see from the initial pour that it was well bodied. Smooth on the pallet, not something you'll be drinking copious amounts of.

All in all a well crafted beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%