Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,945
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Thank you to absolutesites for this one.
Pours a kick ass orange, almost rust color, w/ a finger of creamy, off-white head. Lacing is like looking at an ant farm from a cross-cut perspective...all of these carbonated pockets forming, but a lot of it clinging to the glass.
Smell is an overpowering hop rush...like no IPA or IIPA before. Major citrus, almost tangerine primarily...not a hint of alcohol. Must admit, I've had barleywines that did not smell this aromatic.
The taste is D-Y-N-O-M-I-T-E!! A thick, bitter fruity hop that coats the tongue, with the bitterness sliding to the underside to hit places that have never tasted hops...simply incredible.
Caramel, vanilla, grapefruit w/ just a touch of alcohol when working its way towards near room temperature.
I can't believe that the malt is such a presence in this brew...making this one heck of a balanced/session beer.

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%

On-tap at Chalkies in Indianapolis, a mere $4 per pint. They left off the ABV on this particular beer, leaving me to wonder why my head was so split open after only two beers. ~9% will do it to you...especially during the day.

In the tumbler, this beer was pretty in its unassuming stature. Golden, nice lacing, little head. A hellacious whiff of pine needles and slightly scorching booze.

I often find myself resorting to the lame, unspecific adjective of "winey" when describing beer. Finally a beer has risen to the point where this somewhat shotty description truly fits, and I am almost shocked by the fact that nary a single BA mentioned this in their review.

Merlot. Sorry Miles, but this brew is laden with hopped up Merlot essence. And its a good thing.

Damn, this is one good IIPA on tap...gotta try it in the bottle to see if this winey essense was truly as potent as on-tap.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

I LOVE this. Bricks of beautiful herb in the aroma and flavor. It brings back memories of the ganja trade. Drizzle that bric-a-funk with malt syrup, and put it under a bell jar on a hot tin roof -- suck the condensation!!! This is like taking something as fresh as a crate of Hawaiian pineapples, 6 Mexican limes; puree and let sit in a china cap on a warm shelf for a coupla days. Watch it drip-drip into your cup. Spicee!!

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours copper with a small head; good amount of lacing. There is a balance of hops and malts in the aroma that isn't quite there in the flavor. The flavor begins with a hint of pine at the back of the tongue and moves up with a more citrusy bouquet. I don't think there is the complexity of Arrogant Bastard or Rogue's I2PA, but that said this is a pretty enjoyable brew. What it lacks in complexity it makes up for in drinkability. This is a palate killer, but not jaw cringing bitter in a way that makes polishing up the bomber much easier.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a pewter color with a thin head suggesting the alcohol to follow. A near perfect nose for this hophead. Grapefruit and a facefull of hop cones.

Hop flavors burst open on the palate and give a full, syrupy mouthfeel. Not too thick as with a few in this style. The grapefruit hoppiness blends with a pine and spruce flavoring. With all the flavor hops, there is still enough malt to provide backbone. This is one fine, hoppy brew.

I savored it, sip by tiny sip and and took in the abundance of flavor. It provided an evenings worth of flavor and alcohol warmth to boot! What a treat.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

A somewhat hazy orange to amber color. Clears quite nicely after sitting in the glass. Very nice, puffy white head with some really nice lacing going on. A few floaters from bottle conditioning Im assuming. Big floral aroma. Somewhat grassy and citrus like. You really get the "oiliness" of the hops. Huge hop flavor upfront-very sharp on the tongue. Slight grapefruit flavor. Great body-nicely balanced between hop bitterness and abv. An excellent beer-very drinkable. I could see this being a regular in my fridge.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago. Obviously they pour into the proper glassware. Served in a flute, the appearance was a orange-ish gold. A good head of foam about a half-inch. Pretty well carbonated.
The smell, was a good sign of things to come. A blast of hoppy flavor through the nostrils gave a hint a number of spices.
The taste, a very hoppy bitter kick. Very potent. Works every part of the tongue. The aftertaste was a kick.
Very smooth in the mouth. Drinkability was really impressive. This is a must try for the hop lover. I would definitely have this again.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Even carefullly poured from a long-standing and refrigerated bottle, Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA delivers a somewhat hazy orange-amber body with a bit of a light crimson cast. Its frothy off-white head drops steadily to become quite creamy; and then slowly fades to a standard collar and whispy surface covering. It leaves thin splashes of lace about the glass, however, which are quite nice. Bright, floral, grassy, lightly piney, and citrusy hops appear in the nose alongside some yeasty fruitiness and sweetish, honey-drizzled malt. The mouthfeel is quite nice: full and dextrinous with a very-fine bubbled, median carbonation as ballast - leaving a gently bubbly caress on the tongue before becoming more creamy and smooth. More sweetish, bready (and even dough-like), and honeyish malt appears in the flavor, dripping with floral hoppy flavors; and tempered by a slap of alcohol and a punch of bitterness that allows it to dry almost immediately in the finish! Hops, however, linger on the palate - floral, piney and citrusy; dancing and swirling until what residual malt is left fades and only bitterness remains. It's a solid duoble IPA to say the least! And very well done! The hops are blended just enough that they don't stray too far towards any particular character (fruity, citrusy, leafy, or grassy for example); and they balance perfectly with the malt that follows the same profile (ie. not too grainy, sweet, honey-ish, etc.). NICE!

22 oz. bottle. Pours orange / red with a thin, off white head. Has a big grapefruit, lemony smell. Light to medium bodied with a bone dry mouthfeel. Has a tart, citrusy lemon and grapefruit flavor. Malts are barely noticeable. Has a long, dry, tart finish.
This brew is all about the hops.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Deep amber, with a thin, blotchy head. A few clingy bubbles. Hard and mean smelling, good piney hops with a gentle malty under current. Good and meaty, mouth puckering piney hops, evened out with a nice maltiness at the end. I remember it being just what I was craving when I opened it. Good old fashioned hop oil dominates the feel of this biggun. Nice beer, real nice. Now, if only the local beer store would just put in the cooler, instead of the top shelf...

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours to a deep copper color with a creamy off-white head. Leaves spotty lacing when sipped down. The aroma is citric and fruity, with grapefruit and piney notes. Behind it is a nice caramel malt aroma. The flavor is spicy and citric, with a caramel malt and pine taste. It is pretty full in body with a good level of hop bitterness in the drying finish. I also get a bit of alcohol warmth after each sip. A very nice brew.

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%

The pour was a deep dark mahogany with a good two finger head that was fairly slow to dissapate and left a quite foamy lace on the top and side of the beer, this held on throughout the glass.

The smell was very heavy in hops, but not so heavy that it overpowered the nose. Hidden with the hops were sweet fruit notes along with some malt hidden in the rear of the nose.

The drink started with a sweet kick of apricots and an almost peach like tone. The middle was heavy in clean hops. The finish was a lingering hop oil.

This is one of the best of the double IPA's I've had. Don't let the double on the lable scare you away. This is one to be tried by all beer lovers.

3.82/5  rDev -7.5%

This came from a bomber to a shaker pint glass a bright clear copper color. Thick white head along with a delicate sheet of lace. Bright flowery pine smell. More hop flower and pine in the flavor. More caramel malt than I expected from a double IPA. The hop bitterness really lingers becoming almost heat as you continue to drink. Mild mouth feel and a good drinkability. Good IPA. I don’t consider it a great one. The malt balance helps, but the heat sensation detracts.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange peach color with a big fluffy off white head that laces well.
Aroma is lots of citrus mixed with pine and hints of caramel malt underneath a big bed of hop goodness.
Taste is hops ligtly sweet almost floral mixed with some caramel moving to a more bitter grapefruit, orange peel mixture of citrus. Finishes with a nice lingering pine tree bitterness that coats the mouth and tounge and begs for another drink, to wash away the resin and start the experience all over again.
Mouthfeel is good maybe a touch light in the malt department but very nice in the hop department.
Drinkability is great, hope this is a regular brew for One Stop now, us poor folks in East Tennessee could use another good Double IPA, having just one is hard to live with.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

22 oz bottle pours a burnished orange body with a lasting, offwhite head that disperses obscene layers of sheet and patch lace all over my imperial pint glass.
Titanic notes of citrusrind and spruce pine are apparent during the initial pour and last through the finish. Some caramel maltiness tries to balance the truckload of hops, with very minimal success.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sticky hop resin feel. Moderate carbonation enhances a citric and peppery hops bite.
Taste is dominated by a ton of hops. Grapefruit and orangerind, with a strong note of spruce are predominant. Caramel maltiness makes a brief appearance in the middle and edges the citrusy hops toward some tangerine sweetness for a few moments. The finish evokes a fresh half of bitter grapefruit with a dollop of honey. Alcohol content is not apparent in the taste, but after finishing this one I'm a bit woozy. One of these at a sitting is all I can handle.
Very nice American double ipa. I see no reason to compare this to a barleywine, as a few other reviewers have.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

I agree with the observation that this beer is much like a barley wine, but there are some differences. Appearance is about the same as a BW, but maybe a little lighter. Smell is pure alcohol soaked hops. Very malty, just like a barley wine, but there is a hop profile contained herein that no barley wine i have ever had has. The beer is too sweet, IMO, and detracts from the overall appeal of the beer.. Still appeases my hops craving, but there are better DIPAS.

4.17/5  rDev +1%

First smell..I think Barley Wine...first taste I think Barley Wine...I'd call it a barley Wine personally...pours a semicloudy peach color...nice 1/4 head on top....Nose is big malts....strong chocolate...and some caramel as well...the chocolate is very evident...taste is big on the malt load too....caramel nougat...chocolate...and then the hops make an appearance...a nice acidic piney hop finish....very smooth drinking but on the finish you have a nice hit of bitterness....definitely more malty than bitter...if you're looking for a big hop fix I wouldn't suggest this one....it's not that it isn't hopped up nicely because it is...it's just the malt goodness outshines it and really keeps things balanced...

Again, this strikes me as more of a BW than double IPA...and a hell of a nice BW at that...I'd grab several DIPA's over this for the pure style but this is a damn nice beer whatever you want to call it..

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

First of all I would like to comment that I LOVE DIPAs, and all other "big" beers that come in 22oz bottles I feel by the time I’m done drinking it I have a really good feel for what the beer is all about. I poured this one out into one of my trusty pint glasses. Near-Perfect appearance for the style, the body is a ruddy copper color topped off with a creamy and sticky eggshell colored head, lacing clings in huge sheets down the pint. The nose on this one is a real sinus-cleanser, the hop aromas lean heavily towards the piney side but there are citrus and citrus peel aromas all very floral, green and resinous. This is of course all binded together by a sticky caramel smelling malt, any alcohol aromas are practically non-existant, which is suprising. In the mouth the malt is nice and stickily sweet, it is quickly over-powered by a dense and practically vibrating bitterness, citrus peel and resinous pine complete the voyage. Again, for the high ABV on this beer, the flavor is very well masked. Hercules is not too sweet which I find in some DIPAs and can become a bit annoying, I do however prefer them a tiny bit drier than is the case here. The mouthfeel is medium and a little sticky, carbonation is ultra-soft. A great representation of a style that I love dearly.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

22 oz bomber served in a chalice style glass.

This beer is full of suprises.

I had mixed reactions to the appearance of this beer upon pouring. I love the color, a very cloudy light brown/orange, similar to the color of a very good apple cider. I'm not sure I've every seen another beer quite this color. Simply beautiful. I was mildly disappointed with the head, which remained less than 1/2 inch despite vigourous pour. I think it was too cold.

Smell was pretty typical double IPA. Loads and Loads of fresh citrus hops, undertone of pine and sweet carmel.

After not expecting much based on the smell, I was completely suprised by the taste. Simply marvelous. Fresh, fruity, hoppily bitter and complex while being very refreshing. Small taste of plum and some other fruitness I cannot quite place. Just excellent. Had no idea it was a 9.1 %abv beer until I was finished. Very little alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Finish lingers but is pleasant.

I'm not sure I want to drink more than one bomber a night with this alcholol contents, but I definately want to buy this one again.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a dingy, orange-amber hue with a thick, persistent, foamy off-white head. Nose is filled with floral hops, citrus, and perhaps a touch of pine. At 85 IBU's, one taste and the tastebud assault is on.

Wonderfully bitter and hoppy, this brew finishes slickly on the tongue. The high ABV is almost undetectible, save for a warmth following the hops as they fade into the aftertaste. Pretty good presence of malt balance, too, though of course, the hops dominate.

I'm a sucker for this style, but even so, I really like this. Quite a gem.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Ah the aroma of this one has all the makings of a wonderfully delicious big IPA. A citrusy hop aroma flows forth from the copper brew, with its bubbly light tan head also showing off notes of clove spiciness, pepper and grapefruit in the nose.

Flavor is not a hop bomb, but well balanced with some very rich, sweet malts to balance the crisp hop bitterness. Floral, rich, hoppy, creamy, and spicy - it's all in there. One of the more well balanced double IPAs. It's nice to see an American brewer not go completely overboard with hops on this increasingly popular style.

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

Holy volcano of head shooting out of the bottle! I thought I was being careful, and this one has been sitting in my fridge for a bit, so it was not warm... Poured out to a beautiful apricot-amber color with a bubble bath of thick orangey head that sat nice and creamily on top. Smells sooo good. Major pine coming from my glass. Fresh juniper berries, walnuts, white grapefruit...
Wow this is good stuff! Creamy, almost thickish mouthfeel, but not heavy feeling, just a bit chewy. A decent amount of carbination, but it flows so well around your mouth that you don't notice it. It feels soooo smooth and lovely. Such good happy freakin hoppiness going on here! Burnt toast, grapefruit rind, peppery, bit of caramel sweetness. Leaves a ton of flavor in your mouth after each sip. Very drinkable for the hop heads, I'm lovin' this one!

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange-brown color with two fingers of head. There is lots of lacing on the glass. The smell is nothing but citrusy and piney hops. A badass hop aroma that I never want to leave. It keeps drawing me in. The taste has just the slightest bit of sweet maltiness, but watch out cause it doesn't last long. Lots of juicy hops ready to own your palate like the bitch that it is. Great hop flavor, that's all there is to it. The body is very thick, yet smooth. The drinkability is awesome for a 9.1% brew. Flippin' awesome.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours out a hazy golden orange and sits a foggy amber brown in the glass with a small off-white head. Nice lacings leaving specklings of head all around the glass.

Aroma consits of a well balanced array of malts and hops. Malts present a caramel like sweetness and a nutty and toasty character. Hops display a good amount of citrus fruit, oranges, tangerines, and lemon, while maintaining a nice floral build.

Tastes sweet and malty up front and quickly makes room for the hops; an assortment of flavors ensues. Oranges, grapefruit rind and lemon make up the citrus portion of hop flavors while notes of tulips and roses float around. Nuttiness builds from within the hops and pairs well with the caramel-like sweetness. Finish is enjoyably bitter and leaves the mouth coated with hop oils.

Perhaps the highlight of this beer is it's luciously smooth and creamy body, floating on a bed of soft, fluffy and delicate carbonation. Medium-full in body overall and puts out every ounce of flavor this beer has to offer.

A delight to drink. For a Double IPA, it's easier to handle than most and far more enjoyable. This will continue to quech my thirst for hoppy beers for a long time. Alas, it's gone all too soon and I must reminisce. Have no fear, it's easy to obtain, and shall delight my pallate once more!

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company