Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros

This IPA was a stong bitter, pretty good brew.

Initial smell was hoppy with a hint of citris.

The hop resin was prevelant in the batch I had, which gave it an extra bite on the initial draw.

Overall the beer has a great smell and a solid mouth feel. Good Beer!

LBHops62, Oct 28, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

We pour a golden-red, sunset orange colored brew. It holds a two finger head of tan foam that is quite billowy and shows nice retention. This recedes and leaves a sticky lacing about the glass, with big bubbles to cover the surface of the liquid. Haze is minimal and carbonation appears near nonexistent. The aroma is a rich caramel malts and light molasses. Hops are equally as present, with stickiness, oil, grass, and a big helping of citrus. Thick cherries, medicinal phenols, and clove spice add a little complexity to the top. Booze appears more with warmth and stings the nostrils. As we sip, we begin with that booze, which sours and puckers. The grain is thick and steely, with darkness of the chocolate variety apparent near the peak, which showcases more toasted and caramel malts, with an even balance of soapy hops. We conclude with more soapy hops and a sting of booze. The hops are also a bit citric, with a final revival of sweetened and cooked caramel malts. The aftertaste breathes of booze and copper, with a bit of grassy hop bitterness. The yeast finally comes in, with an additional metallic flavor and final bittering inclusion. The body is medium to thick, and the carbonation is medium. There is a thin creaminess, but this is nice, with good froth and a sticky smack to the lips. At the outset this is super drying, with a coiny metallic coat around the entire mouth. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks moderately well.

Overall, what we found to be most enjoyable about this brew was the rich color and ample head. The lacing and stickiness were quite attractive, making it easy to sink your teeth into this one. Where we lost points was in the taste, which gave a great deal of attention to the malts and general bitterness, while underplaying the hops to the point of them being seriously missed.

TheBrewo, Oct 28, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

I really wanted to like this. I like Great Divide, especially the Yeti and Fresh Hop. This one fell short for me.

A: Nice amber color and a bit murky, not much of a head. Looked appealing.

S: Smells like potato chips. You heard me. Potato chips. Did I get a bad bottle? Dunno, but I wasn't that impressed with the smell here. Sorry guys. My wife left me to the bottle (not that I was complaining @ ~10% ABV)

T: Not too bad, but not great. I was expecting more, but I'm not a fan of IPA's that taste like grain more than hops. I like hops if I'm drinking an IPA (double or not), and I didn't get them here. Reminded me a bit of the Great Divide Pale Ale I had on tap in Denver (not what I expected from a Pale, either. In fact the GD guys admitted that most people are expecting different taste based on the name). I think Hercules is just as misleading.

Maybe I didn't know what to expect from a "double IPA", but what I do know is that this is not what I expected, and not what I would get again when other choices are available.

M: Maybe a little more viscous than your typical ale. Again, not blown away.

O: Ah GD, how I love thee, but this just fell short. Especially at this price point. I know you call hoppy IPA's "west coast" IPA's, but if that's what people come to expect (as you admit yourself), then don't feel bad when our expectations fall short of your claims.

rightbrained, Oct 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Deep copper with a slight haze. One finger of rocky head that couldn't hold on against the high ABV, but still left some nice lacing.

S: Citric hops with some herbal and spicy notes. Slight dark fruits along with the bready malts.

T: Citric hops with a lot of bitter rind. Big malt back bone that is pleasantly sweet. Properly balanced with more of a malt presence as it warms. Slight warmth from the alcohol.

M: Medium bodied and slightly chewy, with lots of mouth feel and just right carbonation.

O: A good double IPA, but not great. It's a little pricey in my neck of the woods, but if it offered a better value I would definitely buy it again.

setexascustoms, Oct 24, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass (47F). Bottled 17 May 2011; served 15 Oct 2011.

A-Pours a cloudy golden orange. Thin head with heavy lacing. Lacing goes from rim to beer level with every drink.

S-Aroma is dominated by sweet/nutty malt with slight resinous/pine.

T-Primarily a nutty malt flavor; nice sweet caramel on the finish. Pine come through on careful drinks. The sweet malt and bitter hop flavors are balanced and last nicely.

M-Starts light and slick then finishes slightly heavier and sticky.

O-Given the big nose and bigger flavor, incredibly drinkable. The lasting flavors on the palate encourage another drink. The lasting flavor on the palate sticks but is pleasant given the sweet character of the malts.

KOrtega, Oct 15, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Was able to smell this beer right away when I opened it, and in a good way. Even from a distance the hop scents are abundant. Lots of citric oily ho scents and some dark fruits. Some pines scent's sting the back of the nostrils.

Raisins and other dark fruits up front. Some slightly spices hops in the middle. Not too much lingers other than some fruit taste and a slight alcohol presence.

All I can say is wow! I feel like this is how dipa's should taste. I thought 90 minute was fantastic but this somehow goes far beyond it. Super balanced, thick yet smooth, decent carbonation, and lots of hop presence. I love it! A very dangerous brew

jtierney89, Oct 12, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap at the Collins pub.

A pours a deep copper with a nice white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S some resin, a hint of pine, and some sweet malt.

T some resin and pine up front which is balanced out with a lot of caramel malt.

M very thick almost syrupy.

Overall this is a pretty good but not great dipa. However it OS enjoyable to drink and I would consider getting this again.

beerandcycling88, Oct 10, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle bears a "bottled-on" date of April 11, 2011.

Hercules has a strong, resinous aroma, with healthy doses of yeast, alcohol, and malt, with hints of pine.

Intense in flavor, with alcohol, resin, yeast, malt and pine combining for a wallop of hop. The bitterness is cut by the malt, but is still quite prevalent with a dry finish.

Medium bodied, the resin from the hops gives this a sticky, almost tacky feel.

This was one of the first DIPA's I had when I began my craft beer quest, and was a favorite at that time. While exposure to other breweries has widened my interests beyond simple hop monsters, I will always have a soft spot for this brew. Still, in my opinion there are many better DIPA offerings out there that you should consider before buying a four-pack of this ale.

TheHoppiest, Oct 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a long neck brown bottle into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy deep amber color with a two finger creamy foam head that faded slowly and left sticky lacing and a frothy cap.

Smell: Pronounced pine and citrus hops with a sweet caramel malt balance. Very nice.

Taste: Even better than it smells. A blast of musky hops up front with flavors of hemp and citrus. Gives way to a surprisingly sweet roasted malt and caramel balance. There is a warming sensation from the 10% alcohol, but it's not an overpowering alcohol taste in the overall mix of big flavors. This is a hearty and well-balanced Double IPA.

Mouth Feel: Medium-to-full bodied and a good creamy carbonation that works well for this beer.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, and another great example of the American Double IPA style ( a style that is quickly becoming one of my favorites). It's very smooth and drinkable, but with enough of a hops kick to please most hop-heads out there. At 10% ABV, it might be a bit much to session with more than two or three at a time...but it could easily be done with the great flavor and easy drinking nature of this brew. Just make sure to have a ride home available.

ChopperSmith, Oct 07, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

'From my notes of Jan 9, 2007

It poured a reddish brown with a small head of foam that didn't last too long but had some good lacing.

The smell had citrusy hops and a good amount of sweet malts and came across as very balanced..which I loved.

The taste was of extreme hops and extreme malt sweetness which made for extreme balance. Good lord, this is fantastic.

Bottom line, this is a world class beer to my palate. Wonderful stuff!

Bitterbill, Oct 06, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Beautiful clear amber beer with a 2-finger foamy off-white head that has mild but solid retention, as a fine stream of bubbles continuously replenishes the head to a fine ring across the surface of the beer. The lacing is downright impressive, as it leaves a thick trail of lace wherever the beer touches.

Smell: Plenty of great smelling hops that are typical of the American-style DIPA's: lots of citrusy aromas, especially grapefruit, along with plenty of floral notes and a nice grassy and resinous smell as well. Some caramel malts are also present on the nose, to balance out the aroma, making it very pleasing and appetizing.

Taste: The taste is actually quite malty--definitely one of the more malty DIPA's I've had. Sweet caramel malts up front along with some of those citrus hops, followed by resiny hops and a toasted malt finish with plenty of alcohol in the taste and a faint hint of an alcoholic afterburn is noticeable as well. A sweet, candied-toast aftertaste lingers.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thick body, with medium-low carbonation, and a very smooth finish.

Overall: This beer has a great presence in the mouth, although I was surprised how malt-forward the beer was. There is a lot of alcohol in this beer and it packs a punch. I would highly recommend having a 12 oz serving, or if you have a bomber split it with a friend unless you want don't need to drive afterwards. This beer can certainly knock you on your ass and will if you're not careful. My only regret is that I don't have access to this beer at its freshest--I'm over the 2-month mark but I can't get it any fresher where I'm at right now. Would love to try it again fresh from the source some day.

pBRale, Oct 06, 2011

From notes, bomber into a tulip.

They describe it as delivering a huge amount of hops with a nutty and malty sweetness. The hops are definitely there, which I appreciate, but when it comes to an IPA, maltiness is usually the last thing I’m wanting, but this one delivers. The maltiness is JUST right and the sweetness is just enough to compliment the bitterness, not cancel it out. I had mixed feelings about this before I tried it but really enjoyed it from start to finish.

Verdict: Very solid IPA, especially for one that breaks from the norm. Can’t wait to sample more from Great Divide.

kevanb, Oct 06, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

this was poured from tap and had a nice orange color with a foamy head.

Intense and rich nose with tones of citrus, hops, bananas and some oranges as well

Medium bodied with a really smooth feel and mostly hop tones with some citrus as well

While this was big it didn't show any booziness and wasn't too hoppy.

KDawg, Oct 03, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 7/27/11 so still fresh I hope.

Appearance: cloudy orange hue with a thick finger of frothy tan foam. A good looking beer.

Smell: big malt backbone with a big floral, somewhat funky hop aroma. Notes of citrus and notes of pine are present too. Very nice.

Taste: sweet, strong malt with a good balance of hop flavors, although the overall effect is pretty murky. Citrus and floral hops abound here, and the flavors are quite good if muddy. Bitterness is strong but not enamel-eroding.

Mouthfeel: big body and a good, big carbonation. I'm surprised! This thing has texture like a big Belgian ale! Love it.

Overall: a very good double IPA. This is a good and tasty example of the style; I'll definitely have this again.

flagmantho, Oct 03, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Poured this bomber into a pint glass. Nice clear orange color with about a finger head with good lacing.

S - Smelled of strong pine hops with citrus notes (grapefruit?).

T - Malty at the front with pine/citrus notes on the backend. Very interesting to me.

M - Well done with mouthfeel. Just the right amount of carbonation to keep all the flavors interesting

Overall - I felt this double IPA had great malty characteristics with a good amount of pine taste and a small amount of citrus mixed in.

cvm4, Oct 02, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Enjoyed at the brewery

A: clear and amber with golden hue. quarter finger head with lots of lacing left behind.

S: pungent and musty hops with some pine and citrus.

T: grassy hop bitterness with citrus sweet finish. roasted caramel malt in background throughout.

M: moderate carbonation and medium body.

Overall: A very drinkable DIPA especially for 10% ABV but not as complex as the top reps in this category.

kylehay2004, Oct 01, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Colour is a warm copper with very little head.

Delicious scent of sweet caramel & grapefruit. Alcohol not overpowering.

Perfect hoppy grapefruit blended with a sweet raisin malt. Outstanding!

Enough carbonation to keep all components in play for an above average taste.

Surprizingly this brew moved up to my top 3. Hercules will be a staple in my frig. It's what I love... a sweet hoppy bite blended perfectly.

Fitwitchik, Sep 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Color is dark amber to copper. The head, while generously sized, is not billowy or long-lasting as it is composed mainly of large bubbles. Lacing is nice though. The smell is wonderful - a savory grapefruit scent makes my nose happy. It's hard to stop smelling and start drinking. OK, not really. Piney bitter hops dominate the taste, with a slight caramel sweetness in the background. Nicely balanced for a DIPA.

DeltaGolfSierra, Sep 29, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

22nd Review – from notes
Bottle into NB snifter

L: Clear copper. 1.5 fingernail head on vigorous pour. Very frothy head.

S: Malt combined with oak. Very sweet.

T: Balanced malt character from the start straight to earthy hops (middle to back) with an overall wonderful balance of pine/wood character.

M: All-around delicious! Smooth, silky, and wonderful.

O: AWESOME! Well-balance American IIPA that is always one of my go-to brews. Not overly complex, but just right - even as the beer warmed up over eating dinner.

spdyfire83, Sep 23, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is just as expected. A yellowish amber with medium amount of head.

Smell is sweet and inviting.

Taste is again sweet with just a hint of bitter hops. The hops are a flavor accent and not the main train on which the sweetness rides.

Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable.

Overall a good beer. Would not hesitate to buy this beer again.

NoHipTee, Sep 23, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured this 12 oz bottle after eating some totinos pizza rolls, with which it went perfectly.

This cloudy IPA pours to a reddish amber color with less than one cm of head. When I say cloudy I mean cloudy, there are many white specks floating around throughout the glass hinting to its heaviness.

It smells of citrus and pine, with orange and grapefruit being prodominate, a slightly sweet raisin malt smell is preasent in the background.

At first taste the hops are pleasantly overwhelming, the citrus comes through strong with pine resin and a delighful malty sweetness tasting of raisin and caramel caressing the background. The finish is extremely piny and there is definitely a booziness to it but it isnt apparent until the finish and only compliments the wonderful hop character/malt.

I love this brew, it definitely deserved being my first review for BA.

TheHopCharacter, Sep 23, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap

App- Reddish amber with a minimal head but great lacing. Constant spider legs down the glass.

Sm- Piney hops backed by caramel and a little heat.

Ta- Powerhouse of grapefruit, pine resin, caramel and more pine resin. Intense, but in a good way. Booze is there, but not in the forefront.

Ov- I like the slightly more roasted character that this has as compared to other DIPA. Excellent, excellent beer.

gueuzer, Sep 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

22 fl oz, poured into into a pint glass.

After a long day at work (don't get me wrong; I'm thankful to have a good job), it's nice to kick back and have a beer. This, I'm hoping, is one of the better ones. Let's give 'er a try...

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was an IPA (kidding!). It's got the nice dark cloudy orange color, it has the 1 cm orange rind colored head that holds for about two minutes. Off to a good start.

I smell orange, I smell a bit of pine, some roasted malt, some nut characteristics, I might be smelling a pretty good beer here. There's also a dark fruit, like a raisin or a prune.

It's quite a bit sweeter than I would expect, but the hops hit you in the finish. Up front, there's the roasted malt, I'm guessing raisins, orange, grapefruit, nuts, and pine are the obvious players. Burps well.

Mouthfeel is very good, almost great. It's medium bodied, well carbonated, washes nicely over the palate, with a dry and piny finish.

Although this beer is much sweeter than I expected it to be, I found myself liking it more than I thought I would. The flavors play well together, and it goes very well with pizza. Enjoy.

bogus564, Sep 21, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: copper red. Slight off white head. Fairly thick lacing that doesn't linger long.
Smell: Light grapefruit, cotton candy, hint of floral.
Taste: as the nose suggests. A hoppy bite that's nearly balanced.
Overall: nice effort. I'm not a complete hophead, can see that breed really digging this one.

cindyjeffsmith, Sep 20, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a pretty clear copper with yeast still in suspension. White head that fades and nice lacing.

The smell is sweet tropical fruits with a good amount of malt as well.

The taste is on the same lines but with more alcohol coming through. Tropical sweetness from the hops and a nice caramel from the malt.

A good beer but over all doesn't do a whole lot for me. I'd take the lower ABV and get a little more hop bitterness from other IPAs.

Eriktheipaman, Sep 20, 2011