Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter. Says Bottled On May 12 2011

A- Pours a cloudy copper color with a one finger head that lessens to a sporadic ring with great lacing creating stalactites of foam around the edge of the glass.

S- Vibrant, sweet hop aroma that's a bit perfumey.

T- Strong hop bitterness melds with a sweet, grainy malt structure that's just as strong. Alcohol is very well-hidden for a ten-percenter since only after a few hearty swigs do I feel the warmth. A hint of caramel. What else can I say? Spot on!

M- Medium-high carbonation with a creamy, silky feel that is a sought-after component in a double IPA (although this borders on a triple).

O- Strength is the name of the game and Hercules will always win! Score another winner for Great Divide.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance Comes down like a red amber/copper in my snifter. Giving a 1/2 finger of cap, leaving 1 finger lacings.

Smell Seriously, this brew’s aroma is like a raging bull running the streets of Pamplona. I’m about one foot away from my glass and already it’s like I’m drowning in the DIPA. It’s a complex story starring tobacco, smoke, orange rind, honey and lime all embedded in the subtlest aromatic hops.

Taste Boat loads of sugary sweetness, alcoholic and sticky but freakishly smooth. Contains cereals, nuts, oranges and pink grape fruits. In the background is an everlasting steady hops aroma lurking.

Mouthfeel Creamy and smooth liquid, prickling alcoholic presence and tickleishly carbonated.

Great Scott! This is bold and brave stuff. My preconceptions were… well I had none. I know this DIPA’s been around for several years but I like stumbling in the dark until I find light, or gold for that matter, which I did here. This is one heck of a DIPA. Now I’m really excited to sample the bottle of Grand Cru sitting on the shelf back home. Great Divide? Great Beer!

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden copper with an orange hue, solid finger of soapy head, solid retention and sporadic lacing.

S - Soapy citrus, cedar and pine and some rich caramel on the finish.

T - Resiny hops, soapy citrus notes, the bitterness is subdued by the sweet caramel and toffee and the alcohol adds a hint of honey sweetness. At 10% this alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

M - Medium bodied, but comes across a tad thin for my liking. The finish is surprisingly wet.

O - A very tasty DIPA with loads of flavours and nicely balanced between the bitter hops and sweet malts. Easily drinkable, and at 10% that could be problematic.

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Too malty for an IPA or Double IPA in my opinion. Just not my cup of tea. I like strong IPAs, but much prefer ones with a crisp, clean, dry, hoppy finish. In fairness, Great Divide describes this beer as "hoppier and maltier" than a typical IPA. I think "malting up" an IPA makes little sense. It's almost as if the malts and hops are competing for the palate and it becomes chaotic, a sensory overload of sorts. It's a serious beer, I would drink it again, and I would rate it as a good beer in general. But I expect something a bit different in a true IPA. I'd have to give this one a C+ or a B-

This IPA was a stong bitter, pretty good brew.

Initial smell was hoppy with a hint of citris.

The hop resin was prevelant in the batch I had, which gave it an extra bite on the initial draw.

Overall the beer has a great smell and a solid mouth feel. Good Beer!

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

We pour a golden-red, sunset orange colored brew. It holds a two finger head of tan foam that is quite billowy and shows nice retention. This recedes and leaves a sticky lacing about the glass, with big bubbles to cover the surface of the liquid. Haze is minimal and carbonation appears near nonexistent. The aroma is a rich caramel malts and light molasses. Hops are equally as present, with stickiness, oil, grass, and a big helping of citrus. Thick cherries, medicinal phenols, and clove spice add a little complexity to the top. Booze appears more with warmth and stings the nostrils. As we sip, we begin with that booze, which sours and puckers. The grain is thick and steely, with darkness of the chocolate variety apparent near the peak, which showcases more toasted and caramel malts, with an even balance of soapy hops. We conclude with more soapy hops and a sting of booze. The hops are also a bit citric, with a final revival of sweetened and cooked caramel malts. The aftertaste breathes of booze and copper, with a bit of grassy hop bitterness. The yeast finally comes in, with an additional metallic flavor and final bittering inclusion. The body is medium to thick, and the carbonation is medium. There is a thin creaminess, but this is nice, with good froth and a sticky smack to the lips. At the outset this is super drying, with a coiny metallic coat around the entire mouth. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks moderately well.

Overall, what we found to be most enjoyable about this brew was the rich color and ample head. The lacing and stickiness were quite attractive, making it easy to sink your teeth into this one. Where we lost points was in the taste, which gave a great deal of attention to the malts and general bitterness, while underplaying the hops to the point of them being seriously missed.

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

I really wanted to like this. I like Great Divide, especially the Yeti and Fresh Hop. This one fell short for me.

A: Nice amber color and a bit murky, not much of a head. Looked appealing.

S: Smells like potato chips. You heard me. Potato chips. Did I get a bad bottle? Dunno, but I wasn't that impressed with the smell here. Sorry guys. My wife left me to the bottle (not that I was complaining @ ~10% ABV)

T: Not too bad, but not great. I was expecting more, but I'm not a fan of IPA's that taste like grain more than hops. I like hops if I'm drinking an IPA (double or not), and I didn't get them here. Reminded me a bit of the Great Divide Pale Ale I had on tap in Denver (not what I expected from a Pale, either. In fact the GD guys admitted that most people are expecting different taste based on the name). I think Hercules is just as misleading.

Maybe I didn't know what to expect from a "double IPA", but what I do know is that this is not what I expected, and not what I would get again when other choices are available.

M: Maybe a little more viscous than your typical ale. Again, not blown away.

O: Ah GD, how I love thee, but this just fell short. Especially at this price point. I know you call hoppy IPA's "west coast" IPA's, but if that's what people come to expect (as you admit yourself), then don't feel bad when our expectations fall short of your claims.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Deep copper with a slight haze. One finger of rocky head that couldn't hold on against the high ABV, but still left some nice lacing.

S: Citric hops with some herbal and spicy notes. Slight dark fruits along with the bready malts.

T: Citric hops with a lot of bitter rind. Big malt back bone that is pleasantly sweet. Properly balanced with more of a malt presence as it warms. Slight warmth from the alcohol.

M: Medium bodied and slightly chewy, with lots of mouth feel and just right carbonation.

O: A good double IPA, but not great. It's a little pricey in my neck of the woods, but if it offered a better value I would definitely buy it again.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass (47F). Bottled 17 May 2011; served 15 Oct 2011.

A-Pours a cloudy golden orange. Thin head with heavy lacing. Lacing goes from rim to beer level with every drink.

S-Aroma is dominated by sweet/nutty malt with slight resinous/pine.

T-Primarily a nutty malt flavor; nice sweet caramel on the finish. Pine come through on careful drinks. The sweet malt and bitter hop flavors are balanced and last nicely.

M-Starts light and slick then finishes slightly heavier and sticky.

O-Given the big nose and bigger flavor, incredibly drinkable. The lasting flavors on the palate encourage another drink. The lasting flavor on the palate sticks but is pleasant given the sweet character of the malts.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Was able to smell this beer right away when I opened it, and in a good way. Even from a distance the hop scents are abundant. Lots of citric oily ho scents and some dark fruits. Some pines scent's sting the back of the nostrils.

Raisins and other dark fruits up front. Some slightly spices hops in the middle. Not too much lingers other than some fruit taste and a slight alcohol presence.

All I can say is wow! I feel like this is how dipa's should taste. I thought 90 minute was fantastic but this somehow goes far beyond it. Super balanced, thick yet smooth, decent carbonation, and lots of hop presence. I love it! A very dangerous brew

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap at the Collins pub.

A pours a deep copper with a nice white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S some resin, a hint of pine, and some sweet malt.

T some resin and pine up front which is balanced out with a lot of caramel malt.

M very thick almost syrupy.

Overall this is a pretty good but not great dipa. However it OS enjoyable to drink and I would consider getting this again.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle bears a "bottled-on" date of April 11, 2011.

Hercules has a strong, resinous aroma, with healthy doses of yeast, alcohol, and malt, with hints of pine.

Intense in flavor, with alcohol, resin, yeast, malt and pine combining for a wallop of hop. The bitterness is cut by the malt, but is still quite prevalent with a dry finish.

Medium bodied, the resin from the hops gives this a sticky, almost tacky feel.

This was one of the first DIPA's I had when I began my craft beer quest, and was a favorite at that time. While exposure to other breweries has widened my interests beyond simple hop monsters, I will always have a soft spot for this brew. Still, in my opinion there are many better DIPA offerings out there that you should consider before buying a four-pack of this ale.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a long neck brown bottle into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy deep amber color with a two finger creamy foam head that faded slowly and left sticky lacing and a frothy cap.

Smell: Pronounced pine and citrus hops with a sweet caramel malt balance. Very nice.

Taste: Even better than it smells. A blast of musky hops up front with flavors of hemp and citrus. Gives way to a surprisingly sweet roasted malt and caramel balance. There is a warming sensation from the 10% alcohol, but it's not an overpowering alcohol taste in the overall mix of big flavors. This is a hearty and well-balanced Double IPA.

Mouth Feel: Medium-to-full bodied and a good creamy carbonation that works well for this beer.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, and another great example of the American Double IPA style ( a style that is quickly becoming one of my favorites). It's very smooth and drinkable, but with enough of a hops kick to please most hop-heads out there. At 10% ABV, it might be a bit much to session with more than two or three at a time...but it could easily be done with the great flavor and easy drinking nature of this brew. Just make sure to have a ride home available.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company