Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Fresh Growler from Fathead's Pittsburgh

A-pours a bright golden copper color with an off white head that is dense and creamy leaving a solid lacing.

S-the nose brings a fair amount of caramelized brown sugar and notes of caramel. pine sap takes over with light notes of citrus, pineapple and grapefruit.

T-caramel and caramelized brown sugar lay the malt base with an explosion of chewy pine sap, resignous and thick. citric notes, grapefruit and appricot in the back with an assertive hop bitterness in the finish.

M-extremely full bodied, thick and chewy, syrupy and coats the mouth, moderate carbonation, rather crisp finish and even slightly dry.

D-wow, this beer is huge! one of the biggest bodies I've had in any kind of ipa. the flavors are big, it is resignous, piney, chewy. the thick malt base adds some balance but this is a piney bitter hop lovers dream.

cpetrone84, Aug 19, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Got to admit,I'm a little bit confused by this one! Was expecting or maybe hoping for a more hop forward brew but that just is not the case. Now dont get me wrong this is an extremely good brew but just lacking somewhat in the hops dept.
Beautiful pour with a deep golden orangish hue, minimum headage but lots of lacing.
I smell mostly sweet malts touch of breadiness .
Taste is alot like smell with a good alchol bite.
Mouth is somewhat thickish but enjoyable, not much carbonation to speak of.
Old double herc went down pretty nicely with a pleasant warming effect as it happened, NICE!!!!
Have to note this bottle was slightly over 9 months old , could have been the reason for the hoplessness.

btorsdog, Aug 16, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of robust caramel malts with good amounts of pine and citrus hop aromas. Hints of bready aromas waft out as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sticky and moderately sweet caramel malt flavors kick things off with hints of biscuit flavors. Joining in shortly thereafter are solid amounts of citrus and pine hop flavors, in that order. Midway through the sip the hops fade a bit and the malt flavors sweeten, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I was expecting an amped up version of Titan but instead got a mix between Titan and Old Ruffian. More malt-forward than I was expecting but still worth a shot.

glid02, Aug 13, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Copper color with just the slightest haze Thick head that slowly dissipates leaving a constant cap. Lots of sticky lacings. Big floral hoppy aroma, but not as intense as some DIPAs that I've tried. Citrusy orange aromas with hints of lemon zest and grapefruit. Full bodied feel that lets just a bit of malt flavor sneak in at the beginning before the citrusy hops take over. Lots of flavor woth a little alcoholic heat at the end. Dangerously easy to drink for the high ABV. The best DIPA I've had to date.

IronLover, Aug 08, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Pours delightfully. A warm ruby-amber coloured brew glows from within. Semi-translucent, with beautiful clumps of bubble patterns on the surface. Nice lacing drifts down the side.

S: Hm...This smells like a strong American IPA, which is exactly what it is, I suppose. Strong, muscular hops with citrus-grapefruit topnotes; however, there is a malty breadiness underlying it all.

T: Very strange. Bready indeed, with a pervasive hop character that is chewy and supportive rather than bitter. The middletaste introduces a sweetness, perhaps from alcohol, that mingles with the hoppiness and wins out in the early aftertaste. Gradually the brown-sugar malt character fades, and a gentle hoppy dryness lingers.

M: Very full, chewy, bready, and dry. Good.

D: Man, this stuff is substantial. I nursed it for nigh on an hour before I finished it. Delicious, but hulking. Recommended.

EDIT: The following is a review of a bottle aged in a wine cellar for 14 months. Review on 19 November 2011. Bottled 2 February 2010.

4A: Two fingers of substantial head. Noticeable amounts of sediment. Otherwise, quite clear. A golden amber colour. Great lacing.

4S: More subdued than I remember. Hopped grapefruit. Vegetal, but strong. Some sweet malt. Hints of chocolate, of all things!

5T: Fan-fucking-tastic. Sweet, lingering, and, ultimately, bitter. The hops have persisted through the years! The maintaste is haunted by chocolate, and the endtaste is dry and hop-sweet. Noticeably alcoholic. Age has done absolute wonders to this beer.

3.5M: Bready, alcoholic, and fruity. Less dry than I remember.

4.5O: Of the half of my cellared six-pack I've opened, probably the best. VERY tasty. I recommend the aging. I would love to put a whole case of this away. I love it! Yum.

AgentMunky, Aug 04, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours an ever so slightly hazy dark amber/orange. Good head with decent retention and good lace.
Smell is hoppy, citrus, woody with a good balance.
Taste is hops, citrus, evergree/resin, light malt and alcohol with a hint of grape after the rush. decent balance.
Slightly warming in the throat, full-bodied with medium effervescence. Quite a good brew. I would definitely drink it again.

PorterLambic, Aug 03, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I had this @ the brewery

Appearance: A light golden color

Smell: Hoppy, but not as strong as most double IPAs I've had.

Taste: Hoppy but not as bitter as I was expecting.
Mouth: kind of a oilyness to it but not in a bad way.
Drinkability: I could drink it all day.

Brewmiser, Aug 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

A: copper-amber color; good head, but carbonation dissipates relatively quickly; glass nicely laces
S: bouquet abundant: it's a case of grapefruits right in your hand
T: "one big grapefruit" said Calvano, and with good reason. Very little aftertaste. Not much beyond the hops, but if that's not why you came in the first place, you'd better look for a different beer.
M: Silky! How the head disappeared so quickly I'll never know.
D: One will most likely want another immediately after drinking.

Arithmeticus, Aug 02, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

on tap at Uber Tavern in Seattle serevd in a standard pint glass.

A - glowing copper--an extrodinary color--with nice off-white head leaving really nice patchy lace all over the glass.

S - Peppery with sweet floral hit followed by toasted grain.

T - Fairly restrained for a DIPA, more in common with a common IPA in many respects. Bitter hops exhibiting white and black pepper with some pine sap spice with pithy citrus rind bitterness. Roasted malt foundation is surprisingly present for the style. As it warms more juicy citrus pops through with orange and grapefruit, and a squeeze of lemon.

M - fairly rich, though not overwhelming. moderate carbonation, bist right with a bit of drying on thw finish.

D - Pretty drinkable for a DIPA, the alcohol is well integrated...which necessitates a note of caution. To me it was fairly tame at first, this one seems pretty subtle for the style to me, but it reveals itself more and more as it warms.

JTahoe, Aug 02, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Nice lacing from this dark amber beer.

S-Malty hops are present but not overpowering.

T-normally I am dissappointed when I drink an IPA and its not super hoppy. This beer is more malt than hop. Almost not an IPA but... Still delicious. Has its own specific taste. hops come through in the end but definately a different take on the IPA style.

M-Pretty thick and chewy. Alcohol makes an appearence.

D-quite drinkable. 10.00% is high and somewhat noticeable but the brew is unique and tasty.

VelvetExtract, Jul 30, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Quick review - lives up to his name and not even Hercules will stand up to several of these.

My Hercules was poured into a 10 oz globe with not much head. The head I get from swirling the beer is light colored with tight bubbles that don't stick around, but leave a foam lacing. In the dim light of the Saucer, I see a reddish transparent beer. In good light, this beer is probably more of a deep amber.

Smelling this beer, I get an interesting hop note and some black pepper which is a first for me. There's some malt in there also, but not a lot that I can detect. Overall, this beer does not have a strong scent that I can detect. Might be my sinuses though.

The taste is hard for me to describe. While it's between an American Strong Ale and a double/imperial IPA, there's something catching me off guard as much as that black pepper on the nose. Plenty bitterness almost in a Czech pilsner way, but not as malty as I like my double/imperials (Harpoon Leviathan, Breckenridge 471). The flavor itself is rather strong, much stronger than the nose.

The mouthful is somewhat rich. As the pour was light, there's lots of bubbles when I swish. This beer holds its CO2 well.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you won't be throwing back a bunch of these on a hot day.

TeeCee, Jul 30, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

a very nice beer. Less of an IPA than a double due to the inherent sweetness and high alcohol. Those of us who are looking for the refreshing hoppy bitterness of an IPA will not be satisfied, however, for a particular evening this beer offers a nice compromise of sweet double combined with a robust IPA undertone, although at 10% ABV you won't be drinking a lot of it.

MysticRuler, Jul 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Had the privilege of the first tulip glass off a new keg at Black Sparrow Pub. Appearance was opaque new copper with a beautiful inch of foamy light brown-to-orange head that persisted through the drinking, leaving thick clingy lace and piny residue all through, with islands of head persisting through the drink. And that's all good stuff.

The aroma is pine, herbal, with sweet malt. Very well balanced and almost dry: the nose is sweeter than the taste (and I'm wondering both at the reviews that call this beer "sweet" and those describing the beer as "clear" -- mine let almost no light through at all, let alone being called clear: perhaps a tap/bottle difference?).

The taste is pine first followed by the malt. Nothing too sweet: well balanced with a full mouth feel and dry alcohol finish: not overpowering but certainly revealing its 10%. The finish shifts from pine and malt to citrus and lip-smacking bitterness with hints of black peppercorn. Satisfying, and the hops stood up well against a hot-pepper and sausage pizza. A big, assertive beer without being particularly "extreme."

Drinkability is a little limited due to its big alcohol content, but I'll soon get back to Black Sparrow and I hope they still have Hercules on tap ... unless they somehow find something better.

salvo, Jul 29, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Wiseman Justin Reporting from the great divide brewery on July 26th, 2010.

Appearance: Very clear, very burnt honey. When held to light the color changes from honey to blonde at the thin part of glass. The head was two finger and very nice. Head retention is low but a nice ring is allowed to remain for the ride. Lacing is average.

Smell: There's the hops, I was worried the brewery didn't know what an I2PA were supposed to smell like from my last encounter with their other I2PA. Very woody, slightly meety smell. A "Roasted" smell that reminds me, but in no way actually does, of cooking popcorn. A sweet smell hangs out in the background which Wiselady natalia says smells like cotton candy. A lot going on here but not always in a good way. When we drank about half the glass we started getting Mangos on nose. Thats the fruit rocking out. (4.0)

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very meaty, hoppy taste. I love it. First and second I2PA I've ever liked found right here at this brewery. This one is much more aggressive which scores points. Slightly chewy in the mouth. The alcohol is untastable but I noticed a slight numbing in my lips. T (4.5) M (4.5)

Drinkability: Highly Drinkable I2PA. Something tells me in the future I might, (Maybe) grow tired of it. I liked their 16th anniversary I2PA better. Right now I'm loving both though (4.0)

ThreeWiseMen, Jul 28, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into my Hennepin glass.

First off, I don't know if this is a common trait in this beer, but mine had quite large chunks of yeast in it, not something I've seen very often. I didn't factor it in

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper/amber, had the aforementioned yeast chunks in it, small ring of bubbles that stuck around the whole glass. Some lacing, not a ton, but not totally absent. Decent, I guess for the style.

S: Caramel malt, right off the bat. First thing I noticed, and it stuck around the aroma. Piney hops and a little fruit, but not as pronounced as in some DIPA's I've had. The caramel sweetness is really, really noticeable. Wow, I hope the taste is nothing like the smell.

T: Some of the caramel malt, but nowhere near as much as in the smell. Bittering hops are very noticeable, but not overly bitter, if that makes sense. Fruity hops from the aroma don't carry over. Piney, resinous hop dominates the flavor, overall. Malt is close. Good flavors though.

M: Oily, slick, lighter than some of the same style that I've had. Not particularly special, but not horrible.

D: Decent for the style. Not the best DIPA I've had, but not bad. I can bet that having this on tap is the desired serving type. This one just seemed it was possibly an older bottle.

For what it is, this is a decent beer. I wouldn't hate on it, but if the other DIPA's I've had are fresh versus this one (read: Hopslam, Lake Erie Monster, Double Trouble, etc), I will take those over this one. Not bad though.

Keffa, Jul 27, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Deep caramel color with very nice head formation. Good level of carbonation.

S: Caramel malt and some hops- not as much as I expected from a DIPA.

T: Sweet malt, good piny hops on the tongue and a very nice citrus aftertaste. Extremely well balanced and very tasty!

M: Very creamy, a little sticky on your lips afterwards. Excellent carbonation level.

Drinkability: I will personally vouch for the ease with which this can be drank and for the effect of drinking 22oz of 10% beer!

This beer reminds me a lot of Dreadnaught. It is now sits happily right next to it in my fridge.

Spica66, Jul 25, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Hercules pours a rich and clear amber hue with a dense white head. Laces very nicely.

Nose is kind of subdued for a DIPA, but there's some spicy, floral hops and sweet, brown sugary malty notes.

This is a very well-balanced beer. It's very hoppy, but I can't get all of that because of the great amount of malt. Just a bit of pine and grapefruit shines through. If I had to chose one modifier to describe the flavor, it would be sweet. It has an almost barleywine appeal, with rich, seductive maltiness a la brown sugar, molasses and toffee. Basically this is beer candy, full of honeyed hoppy goodness. Mouthfeel was awesome: full-bodied and resinous with medium-low carbonation. Drinks incredibly easily for a 10 percent brew.

I enjoyed this brew, though it was a bit too sweet and malty for my ideal DIPA.

dasenebler, Jul 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a medium caramel brown with a good amount of sediment floating around. Features a 1 finger white foamy head which dissipates very quickly. Decent lacing throughout.

Smell: Sweet floral hops and pine mixed with hints of citrus and caramel.

Taste: Sweet malt up front followed by caramel sweetness in the middle and bitter citrus and pine at the finish. Aftertaste is grapefruit with just a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and sticky with a good amount of carbonation.The alcohol bite is well hidden for a beer with an ABV of 10%.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. Enjoy in moderation because the alcohol is hidden well and could easily sneak up on you.

Overall: Excellent Double IPA. This is one of the best I've ever had. I will be buying more in the near future. I suggest you hopheads do the same.

adam42381, Jul 22, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Deep amber hue with rich beige head that slowly settles in to even lacing on the glass.

Smells of caramel and citrus brulee.

Wow, just a ton of flavor and it's all aimed at just the right places. Rich as hell with tons of vanilla and an assertive hop bite. Certainly plenty of alcohol but nothing is blown out. Really very harmonious and, frankly, uncommonly so for the genre.

Supple texture and easy to drink, again, despite the booze. I mean, it's no session beer.

detlefchef, Jul 19, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

An orange/amber/red color, the head dissipated fairly soon after pouring into a large mug. The aromas are initially sweet fruit, orange peel and caramel, followed by resiny hops and then a whiff of pure alcohol. Viscous body; there is a delicious dry hop flavor that is perfectly balanced by sweet and sticky flavors of oranges and other citrus. Moderately carbonated and very drinkable with a long finish. This pushes the limit of sweetness for my personal taste, but is so well made and enjoyable to drink that I did not mind.

malloyca, Jul 19, 2010
4.13/5  rDev 0%

A. 3 finger solid head. Thick lacing. Very good retention. Nice bronze orange color.

S. Big floral hop smell. Citrusy and piney hops. Sweet caramel malt lying beneath the delicous hop aroma. Not as strong a hop smell as some DIPAs, but it has nice balance.

T. Not the hop blast that I was expecting. Piney hops on the tongue. Sweet caramel malt. Nice balance. It is a pretty easy DIPA to put down. Not very much detectable alcohol presence.

M. Medium bodied. A little sweet, but a pretty clean finish. Not much noticeable alcohol heat. Medium carbonation.

D. This is a well balanced DIPA. It is very drinkable. More malt forward than my personal preference, but it works for me.

siradmiralnelson, Jul 17, 2010
4.13/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to my buddy Brian for bringing this beauty along on his last visit home.

A-This is one of the most gorgeous beers I've ever laid eyes on.Murky,burnt orange hue with a quickly dissipating,dirty white,1 1/2 inch head that left minimal lacing.Floaties were suspended throughout the pint glass.

S-Ripe stonefruit(peach,nectarine,apricot)and caramelized toffee-nut malt.It smells like Ghetto peach cobbler.Cling peaches with biscuit dough cooked on top.That's a good smell!!

T-Perfectly balanced.Smooth transition between floral hop bitterness and nutty,brown sugar malt.

M-Creamy and full with no sign of that 10% ABV.

D-The drinkability on this one is scary!

StlHopHead77, Jul 17, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Another super hoppy IPA on my last trip to Texas.

The phrase I used to describe this one in my notepad was "hoppy as fuck" so I'm going to stick with it!

The beer pours a gold-amber color... white head, lots and lots of hops giving all sorts of grapefruit and citrus flavors as well as pine.

One of the best IIPAs I've ever tried, will certainly look for this one again on the next trip to Texas.

theboozecruise, Jul 16, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Golden copper color with about an inch of off white head. Already looks tasty.

Smell: Heavenly. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, and of course hops. Glorious hops. Not even a trace of the 10% ABV in the nose.

Taste: Very similar to the smell with the only difference being the slight warming in your throat from the 10%. Still can't taste it though. My favorite IPA so far.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy. Excellent.

Very drinkable especially considering the ABV.

Overall I would highly recommend this.

ZiggyStarbuck, Jul 16, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottled on date of April 23, 2010
Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Dark amber colour with some hints of light brown throughout and a finger of creamy white head.

S - Lots of hops up front - grapefruit, tangerine and a hint of pine. A significant sweet caramel malt nose in the background. Smells like a very well balanced DIPA.

T - A great balance of hops and malts. The hops hit you up front and are predominantly citrus with heavy grapefruit notes and some pine. At first the citrus is dominant but the pine becomes more prevalent as I continue to drink it. The sweet malts taste of sticky caramel with a spicy aftertaste. Very well balanced.

M - Medium body, sticky and a nice chew.

D - An excellent DIPA.