Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, Bottling date of the first week of January (of what year I'm not sure, I think 2008), poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Aooearance: Pours a cloudy burnt orange-amber color, tons of sediment floating in there. The head formed 1 finger thick and faded into a thin layer.

Aroma: Piney and citrus hops with some caramel and alcohol in the background.

Taste: Pine and citrus hops (grapefruit) burst onto your tastebuds. There's some sweet caramel in the middle (more as it warms). The finish is almost all hops, very bitter, with a slight alcohol warming at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, creamy. The carbonation balanced well.

Overall: Holy hell that's good. I love a hop-bomb as much as anyone, but it's the sweet caramel malts in the middle that set this one apart. Just make sure to let it warm up out of the fridge for a little bit. Highly recommended to imperial/double IPA fans.

FenwaySquid, Dec 16, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

When I first got into craft beer, this used to be my favorite beer, easily. This is the first time I have had it in a while, so lets see if it still holds up. Here is my review:

A: Pours a real cloudy, light amber color. Head is very creamy and lacing is excellent. I even see some sediment floating around in there.

S/T: The aroma is very sweet and malty. But the hops are right there as well. Somewhat grassy. Taste actually reminds me a lot of their 15th Anniversary Ale. Upfront, there is a very strong malty sweetness. Hops are right there as well, and provide strong grass and pine notes. There is also an earthy, almost dirt like quality in the flavor, which is the weakest aspect of the beer. A good beer, but not nearly as good as I remember.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Pretty creamy as well. Drinkability is okay. The malt presence is a little too over the top for an IPA, so don't expect a hop centric brew.

In all honesty, I think this is a different beer than the Hercules I have had in the past. The ABV is even different. This and Titan both taste drastically different compared to a year ago, which is disappointing. They were some of the best IPAs, period. Not bad, but there are much better IPAs out there.

OldSchoolGamer, Dec 15, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Deep rusty orange with thin cream head.

S: Good but not strong. Subtle, pleasant smell. Not as hoppy smelling as many good IPAs.

T/M: Great, smooth taste. Perfect balance between hoppy and malty. Not an overpowering taste, just balanced and smooth. No lingering bitter aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable. Not a porch-pounder but not too heavy. Considering its alcohol content, very easy to drink.

ATraurig, Dec 15, 2009

A: Amber/brown; very clear; thin head that dissipates to nearly nothing; lacing is good

S: Lots of grapefruit, citrus, and pine; hops are upfront and nice; alcohol is fairly prevelent but not overwhelming

T: Hoppy with lots of pine and grapefruit; alcohol is pretty evident--maybe a bit much at times; there is also something kind of woody in the taste

F: Pretty smooth; not much carbonation which works well actually

D: Alcohol isn't masked enough but it is a good beer, so as long as you know what you're doing, drink up!

dbossman, Dec 14, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, Maryland (12/08/09) into a goblet at the appropriate temperature.

A: Pours a nice golden brown capped off with an off-white head measuring 1 finger.

S: A powerful bouquet of piney hops melted with a pungent layer of a sweet caramel malt. This beer's nose will certainly not be confused with any of its west coast brethren, but do enjoy a good malty backbone in my DIPA much of the time.

T: This certainly has to be a very fresh keg as the hops are as strong as I can remember, and I have had this beer countless times over the years. The hops are quite piney leaving nice bitterness and a hint of citrus. Traces of sap are also apparent as is a flowery characteristic. From here a layer of a sweet caramel malt intertwines with bitterness and rounds out the beer with impeccable balance. There is a faint hint of alcohol in the finish which provides a nice sense of warming.

M: Full-bodied and oily with a syrupy but slick mouthfeel with a moderate carbonation and pleasing amount of bitterness.

D: The 9.1% abv is quite restrained and provides for excellent drinkability as long as one is in the mood for a malty, full-bodied DIPA.

Overall I find this to beer to be an excellent departure from its west coast counterparts and a great DIPA in its own right. Better fresh, as most DIPAs are, but nice even aged. Highly Recommended.

Lunch, Dec 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Murky brown/amber colored with a large long lasting creamy head.

S - Citrus/piney hops, caramel and molasses maltyness.

T - Great balance achieved here. The malt backbone is strong and mighty, tasting of molasses and a slight burnt finish. The grapefruit and citrus flavored hops balance out the taste.

MF - Great mouth feel. Average carbonation to keep this beer from being sticky or oily.

D - Watch this one at 9.1% ABV. Very good DIPA. Let this one warm up a bit out of the refrigerator

Primitivechef, Nov 29, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Presentation: 1 pint 6 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks for Great Divide for sending me this in a generous quality control make-up.
*10.0% ABV listed on bottle (as opposed to 9.10% listed here).

A- Clear and copper colored. Pours with ~2 fingers of creamy light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving a veritable sheet of lacing. Definitely borderline 5.

S- Big pine hoppiness, with only feint hints of sweet, malty notes.

T-Solid piney/slightly grapefruit hop flavors supply the bitterness. Very solid, fairly sweet malt pressence balances things out nicely. Excellent bitter finish.

M- Moderate carbonation. Medium full feel, and fairly creamy. Slight oily coating. Quite good.

D- Excellent. Fantastic flavor and feel, and very easy drinker for it's 10% ABV.

Future outlook: Got this sent to me as part of a mea culpa from GD for an infected product....and I definitely came out pleased. Very good DIPA that I will be happy to actually pay for next time.

DoctorDog, Nov 29, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

I expected a great beer and it proved to be so much more than that.

A- Toasted oak-amber colored. Slightly cloudy but quite inviting.

S- Dominant malt smell, with a caramel overtone. Subtle hints of spicy hops.

T- Well balanced, maltier than most Imperial IPAs i've tried. Almost too malty when compared with others within its class, but beautifully constructed when considered on its own.

M- Heavy. Smooth.

D- Very drinkable considering its alcohol content and final gravity.

traviserickson, Nov 27, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a rich copper color with a lasting one inch head. The nose is abound sweet fruit, hops, and a bit of citrus. While the mouthfeel is thick and enjoyable, there is something a bit amiss here. The hops are a bit subdued by the overpowering malt. All of the flavor sits on the front of this beer- its balanced flavor is completely lost on the finish and, especially for a DIPA, loses its effectiveness. With that said, it's definitely not a beer to avoid, but it may not live up to the expectations of an avid IPA enthusiast. Not regrettable, but there are better brews out there.

Hop505, Nov 27, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

First review here so I'll try to do this baby justice:

Sight: Great golden overlay deep ambers, the head is thick and sustained. Very delicate lacing.

Nose: I'm talking grapefruit here. The hops are very seducing. Slight hints of deep woods.

Taste: SLAM! The taste is what sells this beer. It is out of this world good. Probably the best dIPA I have encountered (though am I by no means a veteran) You can taste the ABV IMO and it adds a great finish to the sip. The hops are out of control and I'm loving it.

Feel: Like the others said, the carbonation is perfect for this brew, apparent but not overwhelming. The brew is bordering on the "thick" side but it skirts it quite well.

All in All an excellent beer for the $$. I would buy it again except I bought the last one at my store

hippityhops85, Nov 25, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

As I looked for double IPA champions to challenge on the shelves of New Beer, the mighty Hercules caught my eye. We'd had a brief skirmish at a festival, but as I sized the bomber up, I knew it was time for an epic battle.

My weapon of choice was my trusty oversized wine glass.

As I poured the beer to start our battle, I was awestruck by Hercules' beauty. This brew certainly looks the part of a champion amongst dIPAs. A lovely hazy golden body, with a sturdy, bubbly head that just won't quit.

The smell was an assault of delicious grapefruit hops, with some lighter floral notes. My anticipation continued to build.

With all the dilly-dallying over, it was time for beer to meet tastebuds in a life or death showdown. The sip delivered on the promise of those grapefruit and floral hops. Then, suddenly...Hercules relented. The delicious bitter onslaught was cut short by a malty sweetness.

I was disappointed. Some dIPAs have a malt balance which goes wonderfully with the citrus bitterness. I wouldn't call this beer balanced; rather, two clashing tastes come in waves. The bitterness seems cut off, almost cheated.

The mouthfeel, however, is tremendous. By far the most crisp, clean dIPA I've had. Must be that Colorado water that all of those states out there are fighting over. Perfect amount of carbonation, which helps the bitterness come back in the aftertaste.

So, what was the end product of this epic battle? Would I take on Hercules again? Undoubtedly I would. I've noted my issues with the balance, which stop this beer from being world-class. Still, all of this beer's peripherals are outstanding. It looks great, smells great, and is the most session-able dIPA I've had.

CharlatanSin, Nov 25, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

So BA says I can't review the same beer even 3 yrs later. Pishshaw. Had it on tap at my favorite beer bar and I think that different years yeild different flavors. Marked that I had it in a bottle but in all truthfulness I had it on tap... again
A- warm amber in color. light head with minimal lacing

S - grapefruit/ citrus hops very nice

T - soapy hops in the beginning, nice hoppy bitter bite with a dryness in the finish

M- right where it should be. nicely carbonated, Heavy enough on the tongue without being thick

D - didn't know the abv when I tried it and totally didn't detect the 10% abv. WAY drinkable... in fact I had a 2nd. no residuel sweetness from the abv level. dangerously good

ScarletLady, Nov 24, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

I had this beer on a rainy sunday afternoon today. It began hopefully when i poured the beer in a nice dutch beerglass.

A nice light cooper couloured head with a very nice colour of the beer.

The first sip of the beer made me uncomfortable. My first thought was that the beer was not OK. Tried a few more sips and then the beer gave more feeling in my mouth.

Only....i'm a bit dissapointed. The beer looks good but the tasts does not come along.

This beer gets a lot of high revieuws and i an wondering why. Better luck next time.

Brabander, Nov 22, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Eighty five IBU's it says on the label. It also says 10% ABV, not 9.1%. This ought to be good...

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 1 inch head that persists and leaves solid sheets on the glass. The appearance is golden amber and clear. The aroma is strong citrus hops. The taste is strongly bitter and mildly malty sweet. The feel is full bodied with a clean finish with moderate carbonation. A very enjoyable IPA, it's strong but not too rich.

rfabian, Nov 21, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9%

A - hazed orangey/amber colored with a well retaining creamy head.

S - all citrus/piney and floral hops(probably from the "C" hops) some honey, caramel and generaly maltyness become more appearant as the beer warms a bit.

T - I love the balance achieved here. The malt backbone is strong and mighty, taasting of bread and even a bit-o-honey. The grapefruit and citrus flavored hops offer up a heavy hand of bitterness to kick things up a notch. the flavor drys out nicely in the finish leaveing the tongue wanting more of the lingering floral hoppy goodness.

MF - supreme feel, just the right amount of carbonation to keep this beer from being to heavy sticky or oily. it feels very slick and smooth going down with just the slightest amount of "stick"

D - dangerously drinkable @ it's high ABV. I am a sucker for a well balanced DIPA. I dig hop-bombs too but this one has the malt muscle to stand up to any hop-forward bullies.

bonsreeb85, Nov 21, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

well i drank this from the bottle, i was sneaking them at the beach anyway it sucks that
i cant get this beer here in california my friend ships it to me from florida! the smell is incredible very earthy and syrupy! im sorry i cant say anything about the appearance but this was so tasty out of the bottle the mouthfeel was great you definely taste the alcohol and the tasty hops galore! lmao drinkability was so smooth honestly like 3 sips and it was gone and i was reaching for another! but very heavy four will do ya!

jimiv73, Nov 21, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Light copper in color with a fluffy off-white head. Beautiful lacing is left along the glass.

Passion fruit and pear hit the nose first with grapefruit and pine overpowering everything in the end.

Full bodied with a bready caramel note. Well rounded citrus and pine in the aftertaste. This was bottled in August so I hope it hasn't fallen off a bit. Feels like there are quite a bit of residual sugars left over and the alcohol is slightly warming.

Lots of pine in the after taste. A malty imperial ipa and more rounded out that I initially imagined.

stewart124, Nov 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a semi-hazy copper color with a lacy off white head. Earthy hop aromas and slight alcohol aromas rise out of the glass. Big bold body with moderate carbonation and is flavored with strong vinous qualities and a slight taste of the earthy hops. Mildly bitter and well balanced but strong and filled with alcohol presence. Finishes very dry and vinous and fades into a gentle warming.

manahansf, Nov 19, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

From memory:

a) Deep red colour, slightly hazy. Two fingers of head which left good lacing.

s) Very strong smell of resiny hops. Slight caramel sweetness in the smell too.

t) Hugely powerful palate. Heaps of fruity, resiny, citrussy hops balanced out by a big old caramel malt kick. I love this in double ipas, it puts the bitterness in to a nice context against the sweet malts.

m) So smooth. Thick enough to be unctuous in the mouth but just carbonated enough to stop it from being cloying or syrupy.

d) for a beer of this strength, the drinkability is dangerously high.

jbowers56, Nov 16, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Amber body with a decent-sized head. Smell is of citrusy hops struggling against the nutty malt. Same with the taste. The malt is just a bit too prominent, and I don't think the nuttiness goes all that well with the hops. Honestly, this struck me as a poor man's 90 Minute. Not the worst DIPA I've ever had, but not even close to the best.

BarrelO, Nov 16, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

clear reddish/amber appearance with a nice fluffy white head very good lacing.

hoppy with a very caramel like malt aroma. not real complex but very nice.

flavor is the same with a nice bitter finish

mouthfeel is really nice. clean, very light carbonation slightly creamy.

very drinkable beer not heavy at all, and very easy for a 9% abv.

personally i really enjoy this beer, one of my favorites.

ryanonline, Nov 15, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This dipa pours a very dark cloudy orange that could look brown in some light, with a very light tan head. The head only rises about 1 one finger is mostly gone in 30 seconds with the exeption of a couple big bubbles. The lacing is thin and spotty.

The aroma is oustanding. Its very strong and complex. The biggest note right of the bat is sweet citrus bursting with notes of oranges and grapefruit. As I dig in deeper I come across a little hops.

The taste stays very true to the smell with a big hit of sweet oranges at the beginning then you are hit with a huge rewarding hop ending and you can taste all those 85 ibu's.

The beer is a little light but it coasts your mouth well and leaves a nice after taste.

For a 10% beer this is extermely drinkable and the ibu in no way get old.

This is an outstanding DIPA, that I will certainly drink more of in the future.

jrallen34, Nov 11, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

All I can say is WOW! Picked up this Double IPA from Simmones Beverage in Lakewood Ohio as an individual bottle for $3.75. Poured from bottle into nice clean pint glass. Appearance was good with about 1/4 inch of head and smell was inviting. First sip was smooth and the head had a great feel and enhanced the mouthfell. I was suprised by how well they hide this 9.10 ABV. It drinks so good but your better not overdue it with this one. I know I could have. Cant wait to get back to Simmones to pick up a four pack. If you enjoy double/imperial IPAs then this is a must try.

Intimidtor, Nov 10, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -14%

Monstrous 3.5 finger fluffy head off the pour. Red/rusty tinged amber, clear and just plain juicy-looking. Great.

Pine needles and overbearing caramel malt in the smell. Not much sharpness to it. Get the feeling this is going to be a bit cloying.

Citrus-pine-aspirin hops at first, all quickly overwhelmed by the massive malt backbone. Unreconstructedly sweet without the promised bitterness to balance it out. Super-flavourful but unbalanced. Bit of alcohol heat in the finish. Bit of soap/vegetable as it warms. Glorious creamy mouthfeel.

I could have maybe one more. Over-the-top, but not in the way I was expecing. I've had an older bottle of this and didn't review it on account of it's age, but my impressions with this one are similar. Maybe it doesn't travel well? Overrated.

Parrotshake, Nov 10, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a hazy yellowish orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head with some nice lacing.

The smell is very hoppy with some citrus flavor such as tangerine and grapefruit.

The taste is huge with the hops just right out front like expected. A really heavy citrus flavor mixed with some tangerine, some slight lemon and grapefruit.

The feel of this beer is quite smooth. A really great double IPA with some nice flavor and and really great body. Is pretty crispy and wonderful to drink.

Duhast500, Nov 10, 2009