Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -29.1%

Chilled 12oz into a glass. Purchased from K&L in Redwood City. Great Divide just came to CA this month, so I bought the bottle expecting it to be fresh. I got home and realized it was bottled on Aug. 29, 2010 -- a couple of months old.

Not optimal, but it's the freshest I've had this beer. I got two bottles in a trade that were 8-9 months old; I bought a bottle online that was 3+ months old, and when I saw it on the shelves in Portland, the bottles were 3-4 months old. I think this beer simply doesn't exist fresh.

A: Pours a deep, cloudy amber color with 2 fingers of off-white head. Retention is moderate, but there is a collar on the drink and a light film on top of the brew when all is said and done. Some lacing as well.

S: Like a barleywine. Caramel, biscuit, peaches, grass, herbs, and pine. The hops are present, and they impart some pine notes.

T: A strong, rich, malty backbone. Caramel, biscuit, and peaches give it a very strongly sweet character with a light hint of bitterness. There's a small candied grapefruit flavor going on, with touches of grass, herb, and pine. I think fresh, this would be a monster of a beer. Right now it's just satisfactory. It reminds me of Drake's Denogginizer, but not as good. The finish is fairly clean, but it has a sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, but it carries medium-to-high carbonation that prevents the beer from becoming syrupy despite its sweetness. Well masked ABV as well.

D: I found it fairly decent, but as is my complaint with all DIPAs: if you can't match what I can get in this state, you're not going to get me to buy it again.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

1" off white head, clear red amber color.

Smells very nice. Lite sweet bready malts, mild hops, some sweet citrus notes.

Taste: Big hops, medium alcohol presense, mild malt and citrus sweetness...a very nice balance.

Medium body, smooth (malts), nice carbonation dances on tongue, nice hop bite and dryness.

IMO a winner! Great balance, 10% abv is very manageable, nice fade of hops and sweetness at the end. I'll be back!

On-tap at O'Brien's, San Diego.

Pours a slightly hazy amber-orange color with a light white head. Nice, mild grapefruit aroma. The flavor starts off with citrus and a bit of sweetness, and finishes with a bit more spice. Medium-bodied with mild carbonation. Hard to believe this is 10% ABV! It is very mild for a double IPA, but in a good way, as there's no harshness in either the bitterness or the sweetness. Not the most exciting DIPA, but definitely enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Looks nice with a pumpkin/ruby color adorned with some creme` brulet on top.

Grasping little tinges of citrus and pine. Nothing too crazy, though. Little grassy and sweet smelling as well.

A long drag produces a sweety and tangy nuances that were going from bitter to mellow all while providing a heavy fruit note for a long finish.

Smooth and creamy. Same with the Yeti I had just spilled all over the rug right before this guy. Has a balanced high intensity double IPA weight that will assure dead taste buds for the next week.

Nice feel to it. Very warming and smooth for its strength. I like this beer a lot but think that the nose was a little to light for what it produces in your mouff.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

GD is finally available in California...though not a huge deal to me since when I visit family in Chicagoland I have it available to me there (though I honestly never have really picked it up).

Appearance - Pours a darker amber with about a finger and a half of head that dissipates at a moderate pace, leaving nice, chunky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Sitting a foot away I can still smell the, in my opinion, heavy tropical fruit aroma. A closer smell reveals there is a heavy malt backbone, almost a sickly sweet candied aroma. This ever so slightly reminds me of the Oracle, and I can only pray it tastes something like it. I don't really smell hops too much so I am a bit worried this will be a messy malt bomb.

Taste - Interesting - a hell of a lot more bitter than the nose led me to believe it was going to be. Additionally, and somewhat sadly, the main flavors I get after the initial bitter hop/piney burst is an additional bitter citrus flavor, such as grapefruit. There is an ever so slight tropical fruit sensation, and not a huge malt backbone. The more I drink this and let it warm up, the more I think maybe another month or two of sitting in my refrigerator would make this taste a hint more like the Oracle. Perhaps I will try that experiment. Overall, it actually is not as bad as I thought it might be (I did not like GD's IPA...this is much better IMO).

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Relatively so. I honestly don't think I could drink more than one of these in a sitting, however, this is a pretty damn good DIPA if I say so myself. Pleasantly surprised. The only problem, and I state this often, is that they were selling this for $4.00 a single...and with a 160z of PtE going for less than $5.00...I would go for a PtE. BUT, this is a very different beer than PtE in the sense it is more tropical (I feel it becomes moreso as it warms up...yum). So that said, I would buy this again.

3.4/5  rDev -17.7%

Aroma starts out with notes of pine resin, but eventually opens up into a candied sugar sweet aroma with booze also present. Definitely malty.

Pours a nice orange, cloudy hue with a pretty fair head.

Taste starts out with an initial resiny bitterness that give into a very heavy maltiness that's characterized by a toffee, candied sugar taste along with a pretty high level of booze. Even for its ABV, it seems boozy and just "heavy" to me. This is a DIPA that slants more to the malts than anything, so it seems. There is a dry bitterness on the finish that helps it not become too cloying with its sweetness, but there's no mistake about this beer's character.

Decent DIPA but not my favorite, due to how much I can taste the alcohol and just how sweet it is. I suppose I prefer mine a little drier.

Served into a Flying Dog pint glass

A: Hazy amber with a 1 inch white frothy head with a small visible carbonation.

S: Malt, fruity (peach), bitter

T: sweet at first then a little bit citric, leaving a lingering bitter taste. Feels very crisp and full bodied, warm alcohol felling.

Overall a very delicious beer no doubts about it every great divide beer that I had it's very good so far, looking to try some more from this people...

3.64/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed October 7th 2010 at Lucky Baldwin's, Pasadena.

Beer is a clear burnished copper color, very deep and rich color. Plenty of active carbonation. Head is thick, luxurious, cream colored and quite sticky. A winner in the glass.

Aromas are a bit wanting, however. Almost nothing but a faint whiff of pine.

At first sip, the flavor seems brutally skewed towards hops. Resiny, piny hops with a middling bitterness. After a few sips, the caramel flavor of the malt begins to peek through and provides some welcome balance. Traces of citrus in the hops as well, but hardly a major flavor component.

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry which does not quite cut the oily feeling left behind after each sip.

Overall, while this doesn't bring anything new to the DIPA table, it is utterly a joy to drink. And at 10% ABV, one must watch one's intake!

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured an amber brown color with yellow highlights that had a half finger og head and left good lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was a combination of grassy pine hops and caramel style malts along with bready and citrus notes. There was also some faint underlying booze notes to it. Upfront on the palate I did receive a little hop bite but the bitterness was helped out by some citrus grapefruit character and had grassy pine accents. The caramel malt was definitely there to help out on the balance and add a touch of sweetness. The brew was medium to full in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a piney,grassy hop, citric, and mild bitter finish. It drank quite well with the alcohol nicely hidden but I have to say the titan for me had a better hop punch and that's what I really look for in a DIPA.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Reddish/Orange with a brown hue as well. A very foamy head with good retention to it.

S: Pine hops and sugary sweet malts.

T: Lots of floral tastes followed by pine hops with a caramel/brown sugar sweetness. The caramel sweetness makes it unique for a double IPA

M: Nice carbonation feel. Pretty thin feel for a DIPA w/ this much sweetness/balanced of taste. Was expecting something more surupy but pleasantly surprised at the thinness.

D: I definitely don't taste the 10%abv. It has a really nice balanced taste. It has a distinctly different flavors than the Titan IPA which I appreciate from a brewery. Also the first DIPA I've had with the caramel taste in it.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Got this brew on a whim at a local beer store. 12oz bottled on 03/24/10...

A: Penny copper color with a faint hint of ruby red. 1 and 1/2 inch white head that fades at a decent pace. Good.

S: I get a nice creamy maltiness upfront with some bitter hop quickly followed and blended well. I get very faint hints of alcohol and some caramel malt. Almost old ale like. Very good.

T: Super dry, bitter hop wall upfront followed by a boozy malty blend of flavor. I get a creamy sugar on the backend. This brew is good.

M: Full bodied with a nicely balanced carbonation feel. Very good.

D: This one is good once you get past the hop / booze character. Decent.

All in all, this is a very solid brew. I think I might make this one a regular staple of mine. Very unique and good for an IPA, not a standard DIPA. I definitely think you should give this one a try if you like a well balanced IPA.

3.55/5  rDev -14%

pours dark orange with a white head that sticks around for the ride. Smells syrupy with hints of the fruit section of a grocery store. Lots of fruits coming together. Tastes rather creamy with hints of spices it seems. Strong after bite. A very sticky beer. Liquid fine sand paper. Just sticks to everything. Way too damn boozy for a dipa. My second attempt at this beer and it is alright. Nothing to write home about but very good for a year round that would probably be more likely for me to purchase if I could not find something better or it was not almost fifteen a four pack.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

In a chalice. Very standard double IPA material. It doesn't disappoint from my other Great Divide experiences (most notably Titan). A friend says this smells like college, and part of that meaning the slight marijuana scent; I don't get as much of that as she does, but it's present. It's a very pretty specimen, a light frothy head lessening into scant foam lingering in the middle of the top of the beer and around the sides. The maltiness is very pronounced, but it balances out the hops well. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said!

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

A very good double IPA. This beer doesn't mess around.

A- Beautiful clear copper, orange tint, white rim that stays on throughout.

S- Spicy pine and citrus, lots of hops.

T- Exactly what the smell suggests. Citrus comes through even more, though, and the pine stays solid throughout and really hits you on the back; bit of an alcohol taste on the way down (and there's nothing wrong with that!).

M- Strangely satisfying velvety feel, very substantial. If you could imagine squeezing one of those water filled tubes, the kind that shoot out of your hand, that's what the mouthfeel is like. Warming alcohol is nice.

D- Strong for an IIPA, but let's be honest, this isn't a hugely drinkable style in general. Really great to have, though, and it's a wonderful beer.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a thick one off white foam head. Ample lacing.

S: A decent amount of citrus hops scents with ample amounts of caramel and bready malt character.

T: A pretty balanced beer. There is a nice amount of hop bitterness on the front end. The bready/caramel malt balances the beer in the middle and on the back end.

M: Leaves a slightly bitter taste on the palate with a touch of alcohol.

D: A very nice DIPA. There is a good amount of hop in this beer, The alcohol showing up a little more makes me only want 1-2 in a sitting.

3.8/5  rDev -8%

On-Tap at the Memphis Taproom in a cute little tulip glass on Sunday afternoon.

Hercules looks like a double IPA, a deep orange hue with some faint traces of well orange, it looks real pretty. A nice white head above as well, how about that!!! Faint traces of falling lace, not that sticky. Smells include your standard tropic fruits with some grapefruit, mango and papaya. Taste include a layer of hop resin oil with liquid grapefruit a enormous amount of malt, without the over sweetness sometimes accompanied by it. It seems well balanced but the tropics don't hit me as hard as the malt backing, it's a double I so take that for what it is worth. Feel is a big medium and oily, slick with a small sting of alcohol at the end that fits quite nice for this 10% beast. I would not drink this all day but would go for it on tap again. Worthy of the double title, this is big and it will lay you out son. It does not seem as big as it is, caution while drinking.

2.83/5  rDev -31.5%

Hercules Double IPA
Great Divide Brewing Company
Imperial IPA
10% ABV
OG?
IBUs?
12 oz bottle, bottled August 05, 2010 poured into a Bell's tulip on September 18, 2010.

Appearance 4.5/5
Clear, orange red, with an off white head and medium head retention. Some sticky lacing. Looks almost oily! The head and lacing were sub par but so was my pour so I am going to give it benefit of doubt.

Aroma 4/5
Nice hop aroma in the nose: tropical fruit, mango to be precise; grassy-piney as well. Some malty sweetness is present but it's hard to pinpoint it... perhaps caramel?

Taste 2/5
Fruity to begin. Malts and hops play well together towards that. That's the only good part of the taste. Some medium bitterness is the middle. Malts don't hold up until the end. For a DIPA, no hops in here, no malts either. Warming. Dry finish. The taste is average. The aftertaste is just bad.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Thin. Not cloying. The slight warming is welcome. Carbonation is medium.

Drinkability 3/5
Goes down easy but the body cannot support the alcohol and the aftertaste is just bad.

Other
Disappointing, and I cannot blame it on the bottle because the aroma was good. Somehow this reminds me of an adjunct lager at the end.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Approximately a 9 month old bottle.

A- Orange-brown with medium high carbonation and most of the time, a solid large head. Little bits of yeast follow the cycle of the carbonation, and enhance the look a lot.

S- Hops and malts, a bit of citrus, some grapefruit and pine, a bit of spice, and caramel.

T- Malt's lead this beer, with noticably large amounts of hops in the background. It gave a caramel hop and citrus taste at first. Later on it began to leave a bit of a coffee flavor behind. A bit of alcohol hits you in this one, leaving a small mark on the aftertaste.

M- Medium body, a bit lacking on the carbonation. Very smooth though.

D- Fairly easy to down. A bit of the ABV is detectable which holds you back, but the bold flavor takes it out of the light. It's a solid drink, and I'd love to try it fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

A- Brilliantly clear copper color with an off-white head that retains excellently and leaves a nice sheet of lace

S- Loads of candy-coated, orange-flavored, hop nectar. There is some brown sugar and sweet potato making up the malt profile. Alcohol is cloudy and perfume-like.

T- The flavor is bitter in effect. Bitter in the start, bitter in the finish. Sort of mellow and sweet like caramel or butterscotch in the middle.

M- Thick and syrupy with a fizzy carbonation that bubbles around slowly

D- Intense, but recognizable enough to make it a quick sipper. Nothing beyond regular but really the best example of the regular.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

S: Hercules coming out of a bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark and cloudy, thick orange, not much of a head.

S: Subtle for such a powerful brew, no hops come through on the nose, mostly citrus, some caramel sweetness.

T: Faintly hoppy, nice malts, dark citrus and orange, well-rounded, not too bitter.

M: Just rightly full, good carbonation. Some back-burn after sipping.

D: Drinks well for the style and ABV, but the strong alcohol does show up eventually. A sipper.

Hercules is one of my favorite DIPA's. In a bottle might feel a little harsh, much smoother on tap, which I prefer.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottled March 17 2010. The beer pours a nice hazy copper with a decent tan head that thins to a film and leaves a small bit of lacing.

The aroma is sweet carmel with plenty of bitter pine hop aroma, really great. The flavor starts with some malt sweetness and then hits you with some strong hop flavor. The hops I taste are pine and grapefruit. The bitterness is stronger than the sweetness, but not quite unbalanced.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, but the carbonation lightens it. Overall it's very nice and drinkable.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Reviewed from notes taken on 6/14/10.

A - Pours a hazy amber with 2-fingers of intricate foamy head. Leave sticky lacing in the glass.

S - Toffee, grapefruit, biscuit malt and a tiny bit of what I affectionately refer to as "cattiness". Intense.

T - There's a lot going on for a DIPA ; caramel and biscuit malts, bitter citrus (grapefruit and orange), pineapple and white pepper. Not quite as balanced as I like and a bit too sweet for my taste.

M - Medium-bodied with a nice crisp level of carbonation.

D - This one got a bit cloying for me, I struggled through the last 1/3 of the bottle. Perhaps it was a bit old, I may have to re-visit.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a tulip pint: 3 fingers of of foamy, sticky, parchment head over medium-amber body, hazy. Tiny, slow nucleation bubbles. Leaves resinous stripes of lacing.

Ruby red grapefruit, orange zest, with some toasty & caramel smells, a little floral. Nothing new but oh, so right.

Starts with some biscuity caramel flavors, maybe toffee, moves into orange juice & orange soda, combined with a woody, pine bitterness. Usually I don't like DIPAs with a strong caramel presence, but for some reason this is really doing it for me now. Nice, sweet aftertaste, almost like an American barleywine. Some dry lemon-tea comes into play. Booze shows up a little, but doesn't turn up the heat too much.

Starts off crisp & grows in body, plopping a little sweet stickiness right on the tongue. Ends a little sticky, too, but that bitterness is there to scrub it down a little.

Gotta say, I'm not usually a huge fan of the style, but this one really hit the spot. The hops seemed to keep the malt bright & lively, whereas a lot of the time I find the sweetness in DIPAs to be heavy. Refreshing, tasty, & hides the booze remarkably well (whoa, now I feel it) -- regardless, this one's a winner!

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

On cask at the brewery. Served into a snifter via the vintage hand-pump they just installed.

A: Deep amber with lots of cloudy yeast on board. The soapy beige head is short lived and leaves only a little lace.

S: Lots of citrus and pine, with less grapefruit than in the past. A bit of caramel sweetness is present in the background. A light whiff of alcohol rounds things out.

T: The overall picture is smoother and less rough around the edges in this form. A rush of bitterness hits right away. The bitterness isn't over the top, but does have a bit of bite. Grapefruit, lemon and pine make up the bulk of the hop flavor. I tasted a bit of pepper too. Malt is there with a toffee sweetness that helps offset all that bitterness. I even picked up a hint of oak. Finishes with an extreme puckering tartness and light warmth.

M: The medium body is slightly doughy and has very little carbonation.

D: I generally avoid reviewing beers twice, but the cask conditioning really changed Hercules' for the better in my mind. Hopefully Great Divide's Tap Room will have it on cask again.

Pours a hazed brownish oranage with nice cap of white foam, good retention & sticky lacing. Scent is of floral, earthy and spicy hops backed by a strong presence of citrus and sweet carmel. Taste brings a big bitter bite with spicy, earthy and piney hop charachteristics, notes of citrus blend in with a malty carmely sweet background, but the overall big bitterness keeps this in check. Medium bodied, coating, bitter sting, alcohol warmth. A nice dIPA thats all about the bitterness but lacking an overall great flavor profile.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company