Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Rzzzzz

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Courtesy of Kwakwhore.

Poured into a pint glass. Amber with a cappuccino head, bubbles fighting their way to the top. The malt aromas almost overpower the hops on this one, but there are definite notes of citruis permeating the malty nose.

Flavor follows suit, with hints of wood, buttered toast and a bitter hops finish. The malt & alcohol linger.

Full bodied with a nice mouthfeel, if somewhat heavy (expected); don't think I'd do more than one of these in a single sitting but it's definitely worth seeking out in the future.

06-14-2008 16:57:14 | More by Rzzzzz
AmishT

Alabama

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from bottle into a snifter

A - Hazy burnt orange in color with an intense pale orange head that hangs around for quite awhile. Fair amount of lacing. Definitely looks like a beer named Hercules should in my opinion...a very thick and sturdy look to it

S - Wow, potent nose for sure. Floral hops, complex malts, and alcohol is prominent as well. Like the appearance, it does justice to its name.

T&M - Toffee malts, spicy hops, and hints of fruit start off the taste for me, and it finishes with a malty/alcohol kick in the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium to full with tons of flavor. A warming affect from the alcohol is present. Smooth. Unfortunately, the finish really started to wear on me: the blend of alcohol and malts really started to get a bit cloying at times; however, the kick at the end is probably intended and appropriate for the style.

D - Definitely a sipper; this is probably another characteristic of a DIPA. Like I mentioned, the finish did wear on me, and I did have trouble finishing my glass (although it should be pointed out that I'm very much a lightweight at times). Bottom line is that Hercules DIPA kicked my ass.

06-14-2008 15:44:00 | More by AmishT
BamaBeerBuff

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

A: A hazy burnished orange-copper with a massive light toffee-apricot colored head that slowly recedes to a thick creamy center-cap that floats over the beer. Thick, sticky sheets of lace are left all the way down my Duvel tulip--Hercules' appearance rivals that of its current glass's namesake.

S: Strong, sweet toffee malts with a prevalent citrus twang. Bold, yet still balanced for a DIPA. I'm a fan.

T&M: Toffee and sweet caramel malts are blended with pine, grapefruit, and lemon. This is what a balanced DIPA should taste like. I like hops with the best of them, but Hercules showcases robust malt and hop flavors in an artistically artisan sense. The body is medium to full, but not quite as creamy as I'd like--still, a minor complaint on an otherwise excellent beer.

D: High ABV and less than ideal feel keep this from being a 5. Hercules DIPA has a wonderful flavor and balance--this is a beer that I could buy in cases.

06-14-2008 02:51:54 | More by BamaBeerBuff
Thiestru

Georgia

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: Cloudy amber/orange with a white head that laces the glass beautifully. A good bit of sediment hangs inside, which is something I love to see.

Smell: Bittersweet, with emphasis on the 'bitter'. That this is loaded with hops is obvious at first whiff, but you can also detect the mellower malts. A bit of alcohol hits the nose, too.

Taste: A very bold, bitter hop character with prominent sweet nuttiness from the malt. This beer doesn't screw around: it's an IPA lover's IPA. And the taste doesn't just vanish, either; the flavor of delicious hops lingers on the palate long after the beer's been swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick and creamy, with good carbonation that prevents it from feeling flat.

Drinkability: I'll admit that I've put away many of these in one sitting, but that 9% alcohol catches you after a while. It's a small price to pay, though, because when you've got a hankering for some hops, there isn't much that tops this.

A classic IPA.

06-10-2008 11:24:18 | More by Thiestru
PatrickJR

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Caramel/amber hazy with lots of suspended yeast. Two finger head sticks around for awhile before falling to a bubbly patchy cap that doesn't go away. Lacing is amazing.

S - Upfront butter from the malts backed by floral and citrus hops.

T - Malt sweetness dominates early on, but floral/leafy/piney hops mark the transition to bitterness. Starting mid palate, grapefuit peel begins the bitterness, going into earthy, woody, almost chocolately tones. Bitterness is high but balanced well. Aftertaste of sweet tobacco and dirt lingers for a couple of minutes. The high alcohol is hidden very well.

M - Just right considering the intensity of this brew. Moderate to high carbonation with a solid medium body. A little slick.

D - This is a great beer, but I can already feel the 9.1% even though I'm only halfway through the glass. The flavor is magnificent but I doubt I'd want to experience more than 12 oz of it at a time. Very good though.

06-09-2008 20:34:53 | More by PatrickJR
bitterthebetter

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Pours a rich golden orange with bubbly and active white head

aromas of cascade hops, slight pine, and slight malt

rich grapefruit upfront followed by solid and sturdy pine hops dominate with subtle malty undertones

a truly fun and complex beer starting big and bold upfront, then mellowing a bit, then the hops just seem to coat the tongue ever so smoothly.

a fantastic, crisp, clean, balanced, yet bold and completely memorable IPA. Worth the extra cash for sure.

05-31-2008 02:54:03 | More by bitterthebetter
righlander

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

pours a super cloudy dark amber from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass. smells super hopped and malted up. a lot going on in the smell. maybe some caramel lots of hops. taste is super bitter alcohol malty hoppy madness. not as alcohol tasting as one would think. very balanced tasting. a monster sweet malt assault with some extremely well balanced but very bold hop character. tastes awesome, just how you want an IPA to be. I imagine this is how the first IPA's were. mouth feel light carb easy to drink but, at 9.1% i can only handle a 22oz so drinkability not so good for me.
exceptional brew.

This beer has become my new favorite IPA. It's amazing. This has become my new standard for IPA's. This beer is a must try for IPA lovers in my opinion.
excellent excellent excellent!
ALL BOW TO THE KING! HERCULES DOUBLE IPA!

05-29-2008 03:19:03 | More by righlander
sml505

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Deep orange, copper. Nice two finger off white head. Lace throughout.

S - Piney, floral, hop aroma. Cookie, malt.

T - Nutty malt flavor. Strong hops of pine and citrus and moderately bitter. Sweet.

O/ M - Medium mouthfeel. Piney and citrus hop flavor give a great flavor that is nicely balanced by sweetness. A great DIPA.

05-25-2008 02:58:31 | More by sml505
LittleCreature

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - 4.0
Poured a finger and a half of creamy beige head over a completely opaque orange-tan body with some chunks.

Smell - 4.5
Lovely aroma, hop driven (of course) with citrus, a little spice, rich cooking cake and some alcohol.

Taste - 4.5
Beautifully balanced considering this is probably the most bitter beer available in Australia. Starts sweet with flavours of gingerbread, grapefruit and sweet biscuity malt. Then the 85 IBUs hit home, although not in an unpleasant way, as there is plenty of citrus and sweetness. Low alcohol presence for a beer with 9.1% ABV.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Low to moderate carbonation is fine, the beer feels thick and heavy, almost syrupy in the mouth.

Drinkability - 4.0
I'm sure many malt-heads would score this lower, but for the style I see this as very drinkable. I could go for a second right now.

OVERALL - 4.3
This is my first DIPA and I love it! Not as complex and a Belgian ale, but not one dimensional either. Unfortunately as a low-volume newbie to Australia it is overpriced, so I will not be buying again until the price drops.

05-24-2008 08:01:15 | More by LittleCreature
Slatetank

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

thanks to froggyfrog for sharing this fresh keg on his bday, I enjoyed mixing this w/ his peach wheat ale, but pure drinking was excellent. I poured this cold into my weeping radish mug.

A -A clear copper w/ amber highlights and a full two inches of light tan foam, starts w/ a full cap and the retention is very good. The clarity suffers slightly from the oily hop goodness contained in the bruiser

S - Very floral w/ citrus just pouring out of the glass. A very hoppy fragrant aroma w/ a touch of pine, not much booziness like you might expect from a beer w/ 9.10% abv

M- Very intensely hop resinous feel w/ a touch of mild yet moderately full carbonation. The hops have s spicy feel while the ale is subtly sweet in the finish.

T - A very rich and flavorful IIPA, intensely hop flavored, yet not overly bitter, more juicy w/ citrusy amarillo and other West coast hop flavor. The taste is mild for the high Abv and not as intensely bitter as some Imperial IPA's I have had. The malt is slightly creamy but supports the hops and the sweetness is almost balancing. A good dose of vegetal flavors from the intense hopping is pleasant to my taste. The taste is fresh green and less bitter than the bottled version. This is very decent flavor wise and has a significantly higher amount of hop flavor than Titan, but doesn't come off like a barleywine like some IIPa's.

D - I loved this IIPA on tap it was great to try it again. Great drinkability from Great Divide an extreme Ipa that really isn't harsh w/ bitterness or alcohol even at 9.1% it is pretty well balanced for an Imperial Ipa and gives plenty of fresh tasty hops for those who expect it. Slgithly boozy, but there really isn't any one flavor taking the spotlight this has nice complexity and balance for the style.

05-20-2008 19:01:25 | More by Slatetank
Kadonny

Poured from 22 ounce bomber bottle into my nonic pint glass.

A: A nice deep amber orange color with a tight 2 finger off white head. Not a ton of glass lacing.

S: Nice pine and citrus hops nose with a slight sweet malty smell. Very balanced on the nose.

T: Based on the nose, I actually expeced more hops in this beer. The pine and citrus hops take over the first taste, but the deep sweet caramel malt takes over very quickly. The hops are there and let themselved be known, but I think the malt is as equally strong. Very balanced and very good.

M: Medium to thick oily mouthfeel with nice medium carbonation.

D: I say medium drinkability. With the abv you can have a bomber and maybe a second one, but you can't drink this all night.

Overall a very solid DIPA, but nothing more than that. I was sort of underwhelmed as people spoke oh so highly of this beer. I had it the day after I had a Smuttynose Big A, and no question the Big A is a better beer hands down. Still, a nice try and I would easily drink it again.

05-19-2008 13:42:39 | More by Kadonny
matjack85

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Like all the beers I've had from The Great Divide Brewing Company, this one comes in a big 1 pint 6oz. brown bottle with no freshness date that I could find.

It pours a hazy orange color with a 1½ finger bubbly white head with tons of heavy lacing that coats the entire glass and lasts forever.

The nose is a delicate blend of piney, citrus, and floral hops. Not as strong as I thoght it would be givem the name of Hercules.

What it lacks in the nose, it more than makes up for in flavor and taste. This is a hugely hoppy beer. While there is plenty of sweet toffee-like malt in here to help with the balance, the bitter piney and citrusy hops overpower everthing. Despite the moderately high carbonation, the beer has a creamy smooth mouthfeel which I liked.

The high alcohol is hidden well in the taste, but really comes out in the finish and lingers in the aftertaste.

This is a really good beer, but you have to like bitter hops to enjoy it.

05-17-2008 10:14:19 | More by matjack85
sprucetip

Alaska

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Interesting, reading a few recent reviews of this beer, that most have percieved it as hop dominated. That is how I remembered it, but not how it came across tonight.

On tap at Humpy's in Anchorage. $4.50 8oz/5.75 13oz

It poured a clear orange/amber with a small white head, but with lasting lacing.

Smelled piney, citrusy, hoppy and with some malty sweetness.

The taste, tonight, as I percieved it, was strong malty sweetness up front, and the sweetness lingers as the hops come in and balance it. The bitterness is clearly there but restrained, but it lingers, though not too intensely. This sample was definitely balanced toward malt more than hops, though surely there were hops aplenty. Some hops heads may be disappointed in this one, as I tasted it tonight. But see other reviews that consider it more of a hop bomb than what I experienced tonight. I consider myself a hop head and I strongly approve of this beer. But this particular sample was clearly sweet and malty.

Medium body, fizzy and warming in the mouth. Lingering sweetness and bitterness.

Not a session beer, but considering the 9%abv, it goes down quite easily. I could (and have) drain a 22 with ease and then want more.

05-17-2008 07:34:21 | More by sprucetip
nrbw23

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Pours a slighty hazy copperish color with white fluffy head that left a great amount of lacing.

S- Hops here. I could pick up pine, citrus and floral notes here. Later as it warmed I could pick up some grape fruit.

T- Pine hops explode up front, followed by some citrus and then malt that balances everything very nicely.

M- Silky smooth. A nice rich taste that isn't overpowering.

D- A very nice brew and easy to drink.

05-13-2008 09:14:11 | More by nrbw23
largadeer

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance: Hazy amber in color with outstanding head and lace. Even with a careful pour a bit of bottle sediment made its way into my glass, but not enough to take away from the great appearance of this brew.

Smell: The first whiff reveals big notes of grapefruit and rosemary. Malts do come out more as it warms, but they're more of a background character.

Taste & mouthfeel: Grapefruit again with floral and herbal undertones. Malt flavor is non-existent, serving as little more than a foundation, while intense bittering hops stick to the palate for what feels like forever. Alcohol is noticeable, especially in the finish, which detracts from both the flavor and mouthfeel a bit.

Notes: This is one seriously aggressive DIPA. It's not my favorite example of the style, but it's a decent beer.

05-10-2008 00:22:12 | More by largadeer
jmacdaddy2008

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this on tap earlier for happy hour.
Poured an amber color, pretty clear with a white head with good retention

Smell of fresh floral hops and slight hottness from alcohol.

Tastes of fresh grass or hay and a bitter end pretty big beer and well balanced

Overall another good beer by great divide

05-07-2008 23:31:16 | More by jmacdaddy2008
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

So, after enjoying Titan IPA, I had this the next day. Fortunately, no one asked me which one was my favorite, because I couldn't begin to choose. This beer was amber with a more medium-sized head and some lacing. Very hoppy aroma, I thought mostly citrus. Likewise, the taste was mainly grapefruit, but again balanced with some malt, so that the hops didn't explode in my mouth. I wish I could get this brewery's offerings here in Maine, but am happy to visit my daughter in Houston and partake to my heart's content.

04-30-2008 21:13:33 | More by lordofthewiens
OldYoda

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no dating into my Troeg's pint. Comes out a semi-hazy amber with a minimal head and some lacing.

Smell is dominant with piney hops and a whiff of grass and malt, but primarily and overwelmingly hops.

Taste follows smell, hops and more hops with enough malt backbone to support this hopbomb.
Alcohol is present but well disguised

Mouthfeel is good, velvety and smooth.

Drinkability is limited at this ABV but one was very enjoyable. A durable and drinkable DIPA.

04-29-2008 02:01:03 | More by OldYoda
GilGarp

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

This was recommended by a local liquor store employee who said he keeps a keg at his house. Not something I would consider a session beer by any means but to each his own.

It pours a beautiful clear amber with good head retention. Nice hoppy aroma but nothing exceptional. Taste is good initially but turns sharp and acidic on the finish. The 9% is not well-concealed and I would hesitate to buy this again. The Hop Henge (most recent imperial IPA I've had) is superior in every way.

I enjoyed this more at first but as time goes on, it wears a little thin. I can't imagine going through a whole keg but Hercules is worth a try if you love IPAs.

04-29-2008 01:08:04 | More by GilGarp
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

A 335ml Brown Bottle, obtained from Borough Market, London. Recommended by BA ColoradoBobs.

Poured into a Hoegaarden 'Grand Cru' stemmed tulip glass.

A dull, deep terracotta orange body with an off-white almost biege coloured, tight but thin foaming head. The beers body has a very slight haze to it, but not enough to detract from its fine looks.

The aroma was all hops and more hops, some malty molasses type smells did pop up if I sniffed hard and long enough.

I tasted this straight after a Titan IPA, this is a seriously hoppy brew compared to that (and I thought that hoppy). It is a little too hoppy for my English tender tastebuds, but it obviously hits all the right notes for the style. I obviously can't compare it with others within its class, but overall I liked it.

Not used to 9.10% beers (although I do hit Belgium regular), this seemed well balanced and hid the alcohol very well.

Will this turn me into a hop monster? Probably not. Will I look out for hoppy American beers in the future? Probably.

Thanks John, only another 5 Colorado beers left to try/review (before I buy some more?).

04-22-2008 18:29:53 | More by BlackHaddock
kenito799

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

22oz bomber poured into pint glasses.

Dark golden-amber brew raises a smallish head that leave some nice lace. Lovely floral/pine/grapefruit aromas emerge from the glass...hops just smell so wonderful. Then a drink...the mouthfeel is somewhat heavy and sticky. The alcohol is hidden well, balanced by extra sweetness, which also blanace the intense hoppy bitterness as well...but there the whole enterprise is dragged down. I don't know why I even bother with double IPAs...obviously i have a problem with the style. The the hop flavors and aromas are wonderful, so why mess with that beauty by weighing the brew down with all the extra alcohol and sweetness? I just don't get it. These beers always come across and heavy, unbalanced, and much less drinkable than the normal-strength IPAs in the family. This is a beer with great taste and it is made well, but it is marred by being made to be huge, IMO.

04-21-2008 13:59:41 | More by kenito799
illidurit

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Translucent amber color with a bubbly beige one-finger head. Tons of lacing and decent retention.

Aroma is of fresh-cut pineapple and rich caramel.

Flavor is initially sweet with caramel, but then hops trample the palate, citrusy and grassy with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is just about all you can ask for in a double IPA: rich but not too sticky, no alcohol taste. Pretty drinkable for 9.1%

04-21-2008 07:01:11 | More by illidurit
cvstrickland

12 oz bottle poured into a seidel yields a pretty copper-amber body with three fat fingers of creamy, soapy head that leaves floating foam chunks and a patchy whitewash of lacing inside the glass.

Tangy citrus smell with a nice floral edge;

Tastes like pretty flowers and sweet, fresh citrus fruit; bitter; spicy; with a solid backing of sweet brown malt.

Tingles on the lips and tongue; smooth and slick in the mouth with a sticky, aromatic, piney-hop finish.

04-17-2008 00:29:18 | More by cvstrickland
Gtreid

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Appearance was very yeast laden, it was floating vigorously in the glass. Color was a rich caramel. Thin head, very nice retention, and lacing. Smelled of citrus, grass, and pine hops. A good DIPA, not a great one. Medium body with a bitter finish. I couldn't have many of these, at 9.1% ABV and a 22 oz. bottle one was plenty for my taste last night. Cheers.

04-12-2008 13:08:33 | More by Gtreid
cookin420

Maine

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to bort11 for this!

Bottle poured into a large tulip.

Pours a fiery amber/copper with alot of suspended sediment. Does not appear to be a hazy brew but it's tough to tell with the amount of yeast in suspension. Smaller head but the lace does cling nicely to my glass.

Grapefruit, muted florals, cracker in the yeast and slightly metallic tones dominate the smell. Only very muted alcohol or malt aromas make it through. Very nice.

Wow.Though very well hopped what hits me first are the things I could not smell as much, First the alcohol; a pleasant,warming spirit like alcoholic taste. Second the malt profile is huge relative to the faint malt aroma and while it isn't nearly the backbone that some doubles use it is absolutely appropriate here.
The hops are more prominent at the finish and are tart and the IBUs are very well appropriated. Pretty dry in the finish as well, I'm betting a Cali yeast strain.

Mouthfeel is on spot. This is how I want my doubles to feel.
slick but not oil slick and well carbed with viscosity a bit less than a scotch or robust porter.

Highly, highly quaffable. Every sip gets longer.

Very solid double, I might be in love. I got this in trade and realized several weeks later that it's available in Mass. so I'll be picking up a case of this next time I head south.

EDIT: Lord, save my soul. I just realized that I am the 666th reviewer of this Hellishly good shit.

04-10-2008 19:22:34 | More by cookin420