Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,738 | Reviews: 1,531
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

poured real nice into one of those new sam adams glasses - puts up a 1 1/2 finger off white head that starts lacing as it dissipates -
beautifully clear amber/golden color - the lacing sticks hard to the glass - smells hoppy, piney, citrus-ey, and sweetly floral - and delivers these goods in it's taste - really nicely balanced - hops throughout, with a sweet malty backbone - seriously coats the tongue, but in a good way, beckoning for another swig - there is no perceptible alcohol presence here, until i'd finished a 22oz bomber - but i think i could go for another, safe in my chair at home....

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Dark amber color with a two inch head and good lacing.
The aroma of malts,hops and grapefruit.

The taste is sweet malts,hops,fruits and a mild grapefruit with a hint of alcohol.
The feel: medium body and a smooth carbonation. Great balance. Some mild bitterness that stays on the tongue.

Notes: A fine beer indeed. I picked this up and I got exactly what I expected.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

This is a great beer for fans of double IPA's. From the deep amber color to the strong floral smell, there are only good things to say about Hercules. It pairs well with food too. I like a big a beer and this one certainly delivers on all accounts. You have to be careful, this beer is very drinkable, and with it's high ABV, you can end up past the point of no return quicker than intended.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Pours a rich amber color with a half inch off-white head.

S- I pick up some sweet malts, but it's mostly pines and citrusy hops. You can tell that this DIPA is going to have a powerful hops flavor.

T- Wow is this a tasty beer. I was surprised by how balanced it was after I picked up mostly hops from the smell. I detect hints of caramel and toffee at first. The malts work hard to show their face, but the hops, cascade I believe, win over with pines and citruses. The bottle says it has 85 IBU's. This is an aggressive beer.

M- It's very smooth and creamy.

D- I drank the bomber and wished I had more. The strong balanced taste makes it so easy to drink. Just beware of the strong alcohol.

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

From the bottle it pours a beautiful amber. Very clear. The head melts away quickly.

Smells like hops and malt and some caramel.

The taste was a surprise. I expected an all out hop assault but although the hops are present in full measure the malt comes through with enough authority to create a very nice balance. There are pine notes as well and a nice caramel background.

Mouthfeel is big and somewhat oily and extremely smooth.

It hides the 9.1% very well.

Anyone with a taste for double IPA's would do well to try this beer. It's big, smooth and delicious.

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 22oz brown bomber into a clear glass tumbler. Bottled on date on label. Purchased from Skee Vue Liquors for $6.59.

A: Inviting dark honey amber with billowing 2-3 finger head which sticks for minutes before any sign of receding. The lacing is spectacular.

S: While I would not call this a balanced DIPA, the malts are almost up to the level of the hops in the nose. Caramel and toffee are early contenders but are eventually dominated by a potpourri of hops aromas which include pine sap, orange, pink grapefruit, lemongrass, and floral Cascade and/or Centennial hops. The herbal category is the only one not represented, but I don't really miss it.

T: The flavor is excellent but vastly maltier and sweeter tha I would have thought from the exceedingly hops-dominated nose. Very sweet and caramelly which accentuates the complex hops flavor that has a both floral and earthy aspect to it. Don't worry though -- hopsters will love the oncoming wave of citrus and pine flavors. This beer is dangerously easy to consume at 9.1% ABV -- no alcohol is detectable.

M: Silky, coating, and not too dry with exceptionally low carbonation and delicious pine and citrus dominated aftertaste.

D: An exceptional DIPA that is easy to drink but hits so many different hops flavors and aromas, it's hard to go wrong. Great Divide has created an excellent brew -- hopefully they will extend out to other regions beyond the West.

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%

This brew pours a deep amber with a thick, caramel colored head. Good lacing down the side of my tulip glass as the beer is consumed. Has the smell of a strong and sweet floral hop and malt smells are very apparent, very nice. The taste has a great deal of roasted malts, almost to the point where it's sweet and bready. This pays a solid compliment to the very apparent floral hop blend presence - nicely balance bitter and sweetness. The mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied, slightly bitter, as there is a strong aftertaste to each sip.

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle. Pours a clear orange with a thick white head. Aroma of citrus hops, cracker malt, and sweet caramel malt. Flavor is quite malty--crackery and caramel. Some dark fruits and raisiny notes. A good IPA...not sure if this is old or if it's supposed to be like this, but I didn't get much hops from this. So it was just ok.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

Pour: a dark golden copper with a nice head that sticks to the glass all the way down
Smell: Hops, hops and more hops along with a faint citrus smell.
Taste: A nice malty, pine and hops taste. Smooth with a bitter hop finish
A great Double IPA which I highly recommend. The 9.1% ABV can be deceiving.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is definitely not a beer for the faint-hearted. It's big in every sense of the word. I personally love this style now, but when I first started drinking beer at the age of around 14... almost 40 years ago, I think I'd have run a mile if someone gave me this and said 'This is what beer tastes like, try it'.

The hops are stronger in the nose than on the palate, where the malty richness is more prevalent, but the hops come back in the finish. There's not too much of an alcoholic hint that this is almost 10%, in fact the body is quite delicate for such a big brew. Pleasantly so in fact.

I've only marked it down on drinkability because I wouldn't care to have more than one of these in an evening, and I think I'd prefer a 16oz pint over the 22oz bomber I'm currently working my way through. But I will most certainly buy this again. It's bloody good.

A - Pours a clear amber with a foamy white head that quickly dissipates.

S - Hoppy and caramel sweet malt.

T - Sweet and piny up front. Slightly normalized strong hop flavor. Not as highly a multilayered variance in hop flavor like some better DIPAs, but not bad. Citrusy, bitter finish.

M - Slightly sticky, medium bodied.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

I found a 22oz bottle of Hercules at Cherry Hill Market in Grand Rapids. I had been on a real DIPA kick recently and thought I would give this a try because I really enjoyed the Yeti from Great Divide (also from a 22oz) when I had it a couple of months ago. I poured this brew into a pint glass.

A- A glowing dark amber/copper with a frothy, white head that quickly descends leaving behind traces at the top of my glass. A slightly thicker, darker look than most IIPAs I've had recently.

S- A citrus aroma trailed to the hole by piney, acidic hops. Slight traces of very floral alcohol in the backgroud. Quintessential DIPA smell.

T- Ahh! Each sip, large or small, starts kind of fruity/sweet but quickly turns resinous and hoppy. I expected an alcoholic aftertaste but was treated instead to a lovely bitter sensation.

MF- The hops and bitters are like a bomb going off and sort of dominate anything else. Granted, this is something I enjoy; so know that this beer is big in your mouth and will leave you with a prickly, bitter pine sensation mitigated by the citrus aroma.

D- It tasted so good that I wanted, against my better judgment, another one of these. Good thing I just had the 22oz. Look, it's a thick, alpha male type of IIPA which is great but not really something you want to too many of.

Overall, Hercules stacked up quite well against the likes of Hopslam, Double Trouble, Twin Sisters, Ruination and DFH 90. It was certainly thicker than any of them but in many ways it was also bolder. Of all of those DIPAs, the one it is most similar to is DFH 90 min. The description of Hopslam is a "bitter, tongue bruiser".... that would actually be a better description of Hercules which is not a particularly subtle DIPA; though whether you think it is the worse for it is debatable. I liked it a lot.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Radiant copper-orange body. The creamy white head majestically descend to reveal moth eaten lace curtains. The aroma is classic double IPA, with whippings of caramel and grapefruit. Similar taste to the DFH 90, but with more of the clear hearbal hoppiness of the DFH 60 escaping the malts. There's certainly lots of grapefruit flavour going on, and this amps up the bitterness to puckering levels, but it never really gets out of control, and the sweet caramel malts reel it back from the brink. What I'm really appreciating here, though, is the hops. They are simply bursting with freshness, and the flavours are so clean. At the same time, I'm amazed at how quickly my glass is emptying, and how little I'm noticing the alcohol. Its certainly a well-crafted beer, and this extends to the smooth mouthfeel and the tingly carbonation, which cleanses the palate for the next hop assault.

Thanks Bryan (BigBry) for picking this one up.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Nice amber color a small amount of head that disappears quickly. Smells of hops, pine and citrus. Nice citrus flavor from the hops up front followed by a piney bitter taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Drinkability, this is a tasty Double IPA that goes down easy.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

22oz bottle, bought in Colorado (Superior Market), bubble wrapped, boxed and packed on a plane to San Diego....then poured into a tulip glass

A - Rich dark copper color with a good size head that recedes to just a slight cream colored film on the top. Beautifully clear.

S- bready and citric hops smells this smells interesting. Smell of alcohol

T - Whatever this hop is, I dig it. An apricot-citrus taste. Dry bread-like taste.

MF - Nice, coats the mouth with hop resin. Borderline barleywine with a warming alcohol burn in the finish

D - Med to full bodied. Tastes great. High ABV. Maybe 1 bomber. Don't remember what I paid. But it wasn't particularly expensive for a IIPA in a hop shortage, so I give it a good drinkability rating.

Overall, this is mind kind of hops....fruit and bread, dry but not punishing. This is an excellent IIPA.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

From a 22 oz bomber, the beer pours a tad darker than amber with a very slight haze and healthy carbonation. A health off-white head sits on top, subsiding to intermittent lacing. The aroma is a balance of hops and malt with hints of esters. The first sip packs a health dose of hops and noticeable alcohol in the nose (maybe a bit too much). It is medium bodied with a pleasant hop tinged finish.

In the end, I was left slightly disappointed. A somewhat better than average DIPA, I hoped for better balance between the hops and alcohol. In the end, the alcohol won out, allowing Hercules to be good, but not great.

3.79/5  rDev -8%

I rarely drink more than one beer a night, especially if it is a bomber. I had a Hercules and a Maharaja in the fridge and the Hercules was first by coin flip. I'll review the Maharaja tomorrow night.
Dark orange, cloudy bottle-conditioned look. The head was not as aggressive as I was thinking it might be but was significant enough and it really hangs around.
I'm not a huge IPA or DIPA guy, but I've found that the nose is my favorite part of these beers and Hercules is no different. I love the smell! You can catch the malts in the background and all the floral and citrus notes as well. I poured bomber to snifter and it does a great job catching all the great aromas in the beer.
The taste is not as impressive as the smell. The same notes are there but just at a reduce level as the bitterness of the hops takes over. It is fairly well balanced for the style, but not all the flavors can come through with this many bitterness units.
The mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy until the hop dryness erases all other feelings you can possibly have in your mouth. I could feel the alcohol easily before I finished, meaning this is not a beer you could session for very long.
Overall, though, I feel this is a very good representation of the style and I would recommend it to any hop head and to any beer drinker for at least a sample.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Man this is great stuff.

I picked up a 22oz bomber at Binny's South Loop in Chicago.

On an easy pour down the center of the glass I get a huge head. Definitely not a gusher but man it was building fast. While drinking the head reduces to thin layer and produces just a hint of lacing. The beer is a golden brown and perfectly clear - note that I let this beer warm up slightly so no chill haze perfectly clear.

Once it's popped I get a immediate whiff of citrus hops. Sticking my nose in the brew produces a beautiful rich carmely malt backbone balances the citrisy hops - and resnous on the finish.

Mouthfeel is appropriately medium fullness, with a slight after sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability and Summary - man this is great stuff. Not quite as sublime as Pliny the Elder, but whoa this is great. I'll definitely polish 22oz'er off and would go back for more if it wasn't a Monday night. Yum!

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours hazy orange-amber with a creamy, robust, slightly off-white head.

Nose is sweet caramel and citrus, apricot, bit of pine.

Taste starts off with caramel sweetness from the malts complemented by ripe apricot, with a citrusy, slightly piney hop bitterness coming through towards the backend, and a nice, moderate, lingering bitterness on the palate to balance the massive fruity sweetness of this brew.

Palate is slick and syrupy, mild carbonation.

Certainly a good brew, though a bit heavier on the malt end than I had initially expected.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A- pours a amber color with a tan head that lasts throughout. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary for a DIPA.

S- smells like alcohol and earthy hops up front with lemon, and grapefruit hints on top of malt.

T- Has an excellent taste that comes through like I had hoped with strong bitter hops to start mixed in with the citrus and malt flavors. The alcohol flavor comes in to play as well, but that would be expected from the ABV over 9%.

M- a heavier medium to full bodied beer.

D- I was more impressed with this beer then I thought I was going to be. I had already been told several times that it was an excellent brew and it lived up to and even surpassed my expectation.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Two fingers of pale yellow foam, with excellent retention and concentric lacing. The brew is a semi-transparent copper-orange color. There's a fair bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so make sure this sits for a while before pouring it.

S - Hoppy bitterness, tangerine, grapefruit. Surprising amount of malt, and I'm pretty sure the bottle is fresh as it has the new label. The smell isn't all that big, and it's pretty generic for a DIPA, albeit quite nice. There's a bit of alcohol present.

T - Starts with huge bitterness, but then mellows out to a nice caramel and citrus sweetness. Leaves a persistent bitter aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden in the taste.

M - Medium viscosity with moderate carbonation. Lots of residual mouth-coating stickiness.

D - The bitterness has defeated me after one bomber. The ABV would defeat me if I had anymore. It's a solid brew, but not one I'd want very often.

This is pretty good, but not in the class of other DIPAs I've had. If my selection were limited I'd be content, but it just doesn't stand out in a pretty crowded field. I think the 22oz serving size is also a little daunting.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured dark amber cloudy hue with average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with very good lacing. Heavy hop and medium malt aroma. Moderate bitter flavor with a balanced finish of long duration. Medium body with a slick texture.

Very good full body brew.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Good brew for sure. Got this in a trade and was looking forward to it. Really good taste that makes me wish that I could buy this brew all the time.

It pours a golden orange that comes with a frothy off white head. The head is really foamy and sticks around for a while. The bottle is neat, but does not have a best by date on it. Leaves a great lacing around the glass.

The smell and taste are great. I combine the two characteristics because they are similar. There are citrus hops, and a lingering bitterness taste after a few sips that sticks with you the rest of the bottle. It starts sweet and citrusy, but ends dry and bitter. LOVE IT. The mouthfeel is great because it effects the whole palate with it's bitterness. Really a great brew because it tastes great, and is incredibly fun and easy to drink. Before I knew it I had drank the whole bomber. The mouthfeel also has an aftertaste that I love about DIPA's. I got this dryness after drinking this that left a hop taste lingering in my mouth for about an hour or so, I loved it. I love the brutal attack of hops on the palate, the reason I drink DIPA's. Overall a drinkable brew that is a great great addition to my recent trade. Overall a great brew.

J

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man, what a great looking orangish hazy copper pour, there was some fine particulate present. The off-white fluffy head contrasts beautifully. There was great lacing left in the glass.

It has a delicious bitter hop smell and apricots. Nice malty aromas backup the hops, I'm thinking sweetlike...caramel.

Definitely a bitter ale that endures the entire swallow from start to finish. It is much like the bitterness of an orange peel. A considerable hop profile that is surpassed by few beers that I have had. A creamy caramel aftertaste.

Medium to heavy bodied beer with a great bitter drying finish that seriously leaves me thirsting for more. The bitterness is almost jaw clenching, wow this is good. The carbonation is just to my liking.

This is definitely a beer that I could drink until I was on my back. Although I found it to be a little filling, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The bitterness is probably a little much for some people, but it is right up my alley.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours an amber color with a short lived head that dissipates to a thin layer. Yeasty particles suspended throughout. Get big caramel malt aroma and floral hops. Taste was not what I have grown accustomed to in Double IPA's. For me it was overly malty with the hops giving a bitter finish. Medium body with adequate carbonation. I wouldn't go back to this one when there are others that I enjoy so much more. Unearthly, Double Simcoe, 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Gordon are all much better IMO.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company