Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Deep orange, copper. Nice two finger off white head. Lace throughout.

S - Piney, floral, hop aroma. Cookie, malt.

T - Nutty malt flavor. Strong hops of pine and citrus and moderately bitter. Sweet.

O/ M - Medium mouthfeel. Piney and citrus hop flavor give a great flavor that is nicely balanced by sweetness. A great DIPA.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - 4.0
Poured a finger and a half of creamy beige head over a completely opaque orange-tan body with some chunks.

Smell - 4.5
Lovely aroma, hop driven (of course) with citrus, a little spice, rich cooking cake and some alcohol.

Taste - 4.5
Beautifully balanced considering this is probably the most bitter beer available in Australia. Starts sweet with flavours of gingerbread, grapefruit and sweet biscuity malt. Then the 85 IBUs hit home, although not in an unpleasant way, as there is plenty of citrus and sweetness. Low alcohol presence for a beer with 9.1% ABV.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Low to moderate carbonation is fine, the beer feels thick and heavy, almost syrupy in the mouth.

Drinkability - 4.0
I'm sure many malt-heads would score this lower, but for the style I see this as very drinkable. I could go for a second right now.

OVERALL - 4.3
This is my first DIPA and I love it! Not as complex and a Belgian ale, but not one dimensional either. Unfortunately as a low-volume newbie to Australia it is overpriced, so I will not be buying again until the price drops.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

thanks to froggyfrog for sharing this fresh keg on his bday, I enjoyed mixing this w/ his peach wheat ale, but pure drinking was excellent. I poured this cold into my weeping radish mug.

A -A clear copper w/ amber highlights and a full two inches of light tan foam, starts w/ a full cap and the retention is very good. The clarity suffers slightly from the oily hop goodness contained in the bruiser

S - Very floral w/ citrus just pouring out of the glass. A very hoppy fragrant aroma w/ a touch of pine, not much booziness like you might expect from a beer w/ 9.10% abv

M- Very intensely hop resinous feel w/ a touch of mild yet moderately full carbonation. The hops have s spicy feel while the ale is subtly sweet in the finish.

T - A very rich and flavorful IIPA, intensely hop flavored, yet not overly bitter, more juicy w/ citrusy amarillo and other West coast hop flavor. The taste is mild for the high Abv and not as intensely bitter as some Imperial IPA's I have had. The malt is slightly creamy but supports the hops and the sweetness is almost balancing. A good dose of vegetal flavors from the intense hopping is pleasant to my taste. The taste is fresh green and less bitter than the bottled version. This is very decent flavor wise and has a significantly higher amount of hop flavor than Titan, but doesn't come off like a barleywine like some IIPa's.

D - I loved this IIPA on tap it was great to try it again. Great drinkability from Great Divide an extreme Ipa that really isn't harsh w/ bitterness or alcohol even at 9.1% it is pretty well balanced for an Imperial Ipa and gives plenty of fresh tasty hops for those who expect it. Slgithly boozy, but there really isn't any one flavor taking the spotlight this has nice complexity and balance for the style.

Poured from 22 ounce bomber bottle into my nonic pint glass.

A: A nice deep amber orange color with a tight 2 finger off white head. Not a ton of glass lacing.

S: Nice pine and citrus hops nose with a slight sweet malty smell. Very balanced on the nose.

T: Based on the nose, I actually expeced more hops in this beer. The pine and citrus hops take over the first taste, but the deep sweet caramel malt takes over very quickly. The hops are there and let themselved be known, but I think the malt is as equally strong. Very balanced and very good.

M: Medium to thick oily mouthfeel with nice medium carbonation.

D: I say medium drinkability. With the abv you can have a bomber and maybe a second one, but you can't drink this all night.

Overall a very solid DIPA, but nothing more than that. I was sort of underwhelmed as people spoke oh so highly of this beer. I had it the day after I had a Smuttynose Big A, and no question the Big A is a better beer hands down. Still, a nice try and I would easily drink it again.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like all the beers I've had from The Great Divide Brewing Company, this one comes in a big 1 pint 6oz. brown bottle with no freshness date that I could find.

It pours a hazy orange color with a 1½ finger bubbly white head with tons of heavy lacing that coats the entire glass and lasts forever.

The nose is a delicate blend of piney, citrus, and floral hops. Not as strong as I thoght it would be givem the name of Hercules.

What it lacks in the nose, it more than makes up for in flavor and taste. This is a hugely hoppy beer. While there is plenty of sweet toffee-like malt in here to help with the balance, the bitter piney and citrusy hops overpower everthing. Despite the moderately high carbonation, the beer has a creamy smooth mouthfeel which I liked.

The high alcohol is hidden well in the taste, but really comes out in the finish and lingers in the aftertaste.

This is a really good beer, but you have to like bitter hops to enjoy it.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Interesting, reading a few recent reviews of this beer, that most have percieved it as hop dominated. That is how I remembered it, but not how it came across tonight.

On tap at Humpy's in Anchorage. $4.50 8oz/5.75 13oz

It poured a clear orange/amber with a small white head, but with lasting lacing.

Smelled piney, citrusy, hoppy and with some malty sweetness.

The taste, tonight, as I percieved it, was strong malty sweetness up front, and the sweetness lingers as the hops come in and balance it. The bitterness is clearly there but restrained, but it lingers, though not too intensely. This sample was definitely balanced toward malt more than hops, though surely there were hops aplenty. Some hops heads may be disappointed in this one, as I tasted it tonight. But see other reviews that consider it more of a hop bomb than what I experienced tonight. I consider myself a hop head and I strongly approve of this beer. But this particular sample was clearly sweet and malty.

Medium body, fizzy and warming in the mouth. Lingering sweetness and bitterness.

Not a session beer, but considering the 9%abv, it goes down quite easily. I could (and have) drain a 22 with ease and then want more.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Pours a slighty hazy copperish color with white fluffy head that left a great amount of lacing.

S- Hops here. I could pick up pine, citrus and floral notes here. Later as it warmed I could pick up some grape fruit.

T- Pine hops explode up front, followed by some citrus and then malt that balances everything very nicely.

M- Silky smooth. A nice rich taste that isn't overpowering.

D- A very nice brew and easy to drink.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance: Hazy amber in color with outstanding head and lace. Even with a careful pour a bit of bottle sediment made its way into my glass, but not enough to take away from the great appearance of this brew.

Smell: The first whiff reveals big notes of grapefruit and rosemary. Malts do come out more as it warms, but they're more of a background character.

Taste & mouthfeel: Grapefruit again with floral and herbal undertones. Malt flavor is non-existent, serving as little more than a foundation, while intense bittering hops stick to the palate for what feels like forever. Alcohol is noticeable, especially in the finish, which detracts from both the flavor and mouthfeel a bit.

Notes: This is one seriously aggressive DIPA. It's not my favorite example of the style, but it's a decent beer.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this on tap earlier for happy hour.
Poured an amber color, pretty clear with a white head with good retention

Smell of fresh floral hops and slight hottness from alcohol.

Tastes of fresh grass or hay and a bitter end pretty big beer and well balanced

Overall another good beer by great divide

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

So, after enjoying Titan IPA, I had this the next day. Fortunately, no one asked me which one was my favorite, because I couldn't begin to choose. This beer was amber with a more medium-sized head and some lacing. Very hoppy aroma, I thought mostly citrus. Likewise, the taste was mainly grapefruit, but again balanced with some malt, so that the hops didn't explode in my mouth. I wish I could get this brewery's offerings here in Maine, but am happy to visit my daughter in Houston and partake to my heart's content.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no dating into my Troeg's pint. Comes out a semi-hazy amber with a minimal head and some lacing.

Smell is dominant with piney hops and a whiff of grass and malt, but primarily and overwelmingly hops.

Taste follows smell, hops and more hops with enough malt backbone to support this hopbomb.
Alcohol is present but well disguised

Mouthfeel is good, velvety and smooth.

Drinkability is limited at this ABV but one was very enjoyable. A durable and drinkable DIPA.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

This was recommended by a local liquor store employee who said he keeps a keg at his house. Not something I would consider a session beer by any means but to each his own.

It pours a beautiful clear amber with good head retention. Nice hoppy aroma but nothing exceptional. Taste is good initially but turns sharp and acidic on the finish. The 9% is not well-concealed and I would hesitate to buy this again. The Hop Henge (most recent imperial IPA I've had) is superior in every way.

I enjoyed this more at first but as time goes on, it wears a little thin. I can't imagine going through a whole keg but Hercules is worth a try if you love IPAs.

A 335ml Brown Bottle, obtained from Borough Market, London. Recommended by BA ColoradoBobs.

Poured into a Hoegaarden 'Grand Cru' stemmed tulip glass.

A dull, deep terracotta orange body with an off-white almost biege coloured, tight but thin foaming head. The beers body has a very slight haze to it, but not enough to detract from its fine looks.

The aroma was all hops and more hops, some malty molasses type smells did pop up if I sniffed hard and long enough.

I tasted this straight after a Titan IPA, this is a seriously hoppy brew compared to that (and I thought that hoppy). It is a little too hoppy for my English tender tastebuds, but it obviously hits all the right notes for the style. I obviously can't compare it with others within its class, but overall I liked it.

Not used to 9.10% beers (although I do hit Belgium regular), this seemed well balanced and hid the alcohol very well.

Will this turn me into a hop monster? Probably not. Will I look out for hoppy American beers in the future? Probably.

Thanks John, only another 5 Colorado beers left to try/review (before I buy some more?).

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

22oz bomber poured into pint glasses.

Dark golden-amber brew raises a smallish head that leave some nice lace. Lovely floral/pine/grapefruit aromas emerge from the glass...hops just smell so wonderful. Then a drink...the mouthfeel is somewhat heavy and sticky. The alcohol is hidden well, balanced by extra sweetness, which also blanace the intense hoppy bitterness as well...but there the whole enterprise is dragged down. I don't know why I even bother with double IPAs...obviously i have a problem with the style. The the hop flavors and aromas are wonderful, so why mess with that beauty by weighing the brew down with all the extra alcohol and sweetness? I just don't get it. These beers always come across and heavy, unbalanced, and much less drinkable than the normal-strength IPAs in the family. This is a beer with great taste and it is made well, but it is marred by being made to be huge, IMO.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Translucent amber color with a bubbly beige one-finger head. Tons of lacing and decent retention.

Aroma is of fresh-cut pineapple and rich caramel.

Flavor is initially sweet with caramel, but then hops trample the palate, citrusy and grassy with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is just about all you can ask for in a double IPA: rich but not too sticky, no alcohol taste. Pretty drinkable for 9.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a seidel yields a pretty copper-amber body with three fat fingers of creamy, soapy head that leaves floating foam chunks and a patchy whitewash of lacing inside the glass.

Tangy citrus smell with a nice floral edge;

Tastes like pretty flowers and sweet, fresh citrus fruit; bitter; spicy; with a solid backing of sweet brown malt.

Tingles on the lips and tongue; smooth and slick in the mouth with a sticky, aromatic, piney-hop finish.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Appearance was very yeast laden, it was floating vigorously in the glass. Color was a rich caramel. Thin head, very nice retention, and lacing. Smelled of citrus, grass, and pine hops. A good DIPA, not a great one. Medium body with a bitter finish. I couldn't have many of these, at 9.1% ABV and a 22 oz. bottle one was plenty for my taste last night. Cheers.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to bort11 for this!

Bottle poured into a large tulip.

Pours a fiery amber/copper with alot of suspended sediment. Does not appear to be a hazy brew but it's tough to tell with the amount of yeast in suspension. Smaller head but the lace does cling nicely to my glass.

Grapefruit, muted florals, cracker in the yeast and slightly metallic tones dominate the smell. Only very muted alcohol or malt aromas make it through. Very nice.

Wow.Though very well hopped what hits me first are the things I could not smell as much, First the alcohol; a pleasant,warming spirit like alcoholic taste. Second the malt profile is huge relative to the faint malt aroma and while it isn't nearly the backbone that some doubles use it is absolutely appropriate here.
The hops are more prominent at the finish and are tart and the IBUs are very well appropriated. Pretty dry in the finish as well, I'm betting a Cali yeast strain.

Mouthfeel is on spot. This is how I want my doubles to feel.
slick but not oil slick and well carbed with viscosity a bit less than a scotch or robust porter.

Highly, highly quaffable. Every sip gets longer.

Very solid double, I might be in love. I got this in trade and realized several weeks later that it's available in Mass. so I'll be picking up a case of this next time I head south.

EDIT: Lord, save my soul. I just realized that I am the 666th reviewer of this Hellishly good shit.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice (served at 54 degrees):

A - Pours a deep honey/amber with ample foam. Head recedes quickly (to be expected for the ABV) and leaves spotty lacing.

S - Citrus and Malt with a backfill of pine and grass.

T - Different! This is the first DIPA that seems like the malt is in the forefront and the hops fill in afterward to balance it out. This one presents opposite of most DIPAs that I've sampled. It gives the overall expectation of a DIPA, but leaves the mouth with a dry bitterness; not unpleasant, but slightly aspirin in quality.

M - Oily and sticky without cloying. Carbonation is very present, but not obtrusive and tends to clear the tongue between sips. This brew remains smooth through the warming process.

D - Outside of the fact that this is a DIPA in reverse, it is truly solid in the style.

I'm dying to try this on cask! A backwards DIPA in my opinion since the malt hit me first and was followed by the hops. Nonetheless, it is extremely balanced and flavorful. I'm glad that I've scratched this one off of my "Must Try" list and will revisit it occasionally.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Red/Amber clear pour with a 2+ head with good retention and nice lace
S-Sweet floural hops and some citrus undertones
T-Very fresh citrus and grass hop taste with a very nice constant bitterness.
M-Dry medium body with good carbonation
D-One of the best double IPAs I've had in a while. Great taste. I highly recommend this one.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

This is the kind of beer that if it was available locally, I'd grab all the time. Pours a bright amber, big white foam head (surprising given the ABV). Mouthfeel is nicely thick and resiny.

Smells of grapefruit and floral hops. Taste is more balanced, with a delicious explosion of grapefruit/citrus tones with caramel malt. It's not that this offers anything new or crazy with the DIPA style (ala Dreadnaught's tropical bent) but it's just an absolutely well put together beer. So many brews that try for this type of balance fail. This does not.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Commercial Description: Hoppier, maltier and with more alcohol than a standard IPA, Hercules Double IPA definitely is not for the faint of heart. Hercules Double IPA is, however, an elixir fit for the gods. A brash but creamy wonder, Hercules pours a deep orange-coppery color, forming substantial lace in the glass. Hercules Double IPA delivers a huge amount of piney, floral, and citrusy hop aroma and flavor from start to finish. A hefty backbone of nutty, toffee-like malt character balances Hercules' aggressive, punchy hop profile. 9.1%ABV; 85 IBU's.

Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA pours up big & lively with a rocky, creamish-white head that tops the slightly hazy, dark copper-orangish amber body. Lots of lacing with very good head retention. The fruity aroma is sharply pungent with fresh herbal dry hops overlaying a toasted, nutty, toffee maltiness. Underlying all those piney Northwest hops is some noticeable alcohol. The flavor starts off with a lovely toasted caramel maltiness that quickly gives way to a resiny hop bitterness that dominates to deliver a big, bold finish with a warming alcohol presence that becomes increasing noticeable towards the end. Slightly full-bodied and chewy. Whether bottled or on tap, Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA is a gargantuan hop drop with 'Herculean' strength. Great Minds, Drink Alike!

CHEERS! Beertracker

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured a mostly clear dark amber with good tan head. It smelled of nothing but pine hops. The flavor was coppery, with lots of hops and no malt or yeast. There was a bitter aftertaste that lingered, which made this beer a little hard to drink. The texture was pretty good with fairly strong carbonation. Overall it was good but not the best Double IPA I've had.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

UPDATE: 11/25/08 - 5/4/4.5/4.5/4.5
Put a bottle away when I got the first four-pack back in March and let it sit around for eight months. Might not have been enough time to really see much of a change. Appearance is same, but with a ton of crap floating around in it, oddly enough. Nose has got a bunch of caramel and toffee malt in it now, almost maple syrup. Flavor is still a hop bomb. Not getting any sourness at this point, but there's still a smooth caramel malt front that explodes in fruity hops on the back end. Still, a fantastic beer.

ORIGINAL POST: 3/26/08 - 4.5/4/4.5/4.5/4
Pours a nice looking copper-amber color with a massive three fingers of white, billowy head. Leaves good looking lacing as it drains. Crystal clear. A near perfect looking DIPA (or are we calling them SDPAs now?). Nose is tons of citrus and piney hops. A very subtle sour note shows through as well, which is fairly unique for a DIPA. Very light caramel malt hints. This is a hoppy beer, no question, not in the sweeter DIPA vein of 120 Min. Taste is likewise powerfully hoppy. First off is a strong bitter, sour hoppiness. Middle there's a smooth cookie flavor, but the malt is very mild on this. Very light caramel. Ends with strong, drying hops as well. Wow. Body is nice and thick, with fairly mild, smooth carbonation. Overall, this is a big hoppy bruiser of an DIPA, just like the Hopslam, although not quite as fruity as that beer, which makes it a little less drinkable in my mind. It's a really great, delicious beer, but that drying aspect keeps it from the top of my DIPA list.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Beautiful hazy glowing burnt yellow with a magnificent cake-like head that lines the glass like icing. Really nice lace on this bad boy.

S: The nose is full of hops with a touch of citrus rind. An extremely clean smelling, well balanced offering with the faintest hints of pine.

T: The hops come through first and strongest, eventually giving way to a grapefruit back then alcohol. Not a whole lot of alcohol on the palate, but you feel it after swallowing; this beer warms your stomach.

M: A nice medium body with a hefty dose of carbonation. Great body.

D: Another exemplary offering from Great Divide Brewing. This would pair nicely with summer evening grill fair.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company