Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Jason

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

22 oz bomber @ Sunset Grill, thanks liefman for sharing this with me.

Deep copper, slightly hazed with a lace that would not stop leaving trails down the glass.

Smelled of resiny hops, piney and citric yet very clean. Hints of malt and subtle alcohol under the hops. Almost silky smooth with a strong medium body, big punch of clean bitter hop ... clean hop oil permeates citric and pine. Faint alcohol on the palate, its very hidden ... deceiving.

Wow, damn straight this Double IPA came at me like a bat out of hell. I am very impress by this brew.

04-23-2005 22:41:39 | More by Jason
JohnnyDuvel

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When does a Double IPA become a Barley Wine? Right here. Great appearance, with a foamy head, cloudy amber hue. Lots of thick lacing. Hop aromas jump out of the bottle. Crisp, hoppy taste, followed by malty backbone. Not dissimiliar to a Bigfoot (one of my absolute faves). This is terrific stuff. 9.10% well hidden, goes down relatively easy. Barley Wine fans, seek it out.

04-21-2005 03:09:19 | More by JohnnyDuvel
MrSeth

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

The Hercules pours with a 1/4" white head which settles a bit but doesn't go away completely. It hangs on the inside of the glass. The color is somewhere between brown and ruby [dark copper?]. The nose smells immediately like a freshly peeled orange.. hops with malt in the background. The flavor is again citrusy. Some maltiness and a fair amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel is on the heavy side. It's pleasant but more of a digestif . This puts limits on the drinkability, but if you know what you are drinking here it's all good.

04-16-2005 20:31:49 | More by MrSeth
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a pale, lightly hazy orangey copper with a frithy 1/2 inch ivory head. Leaves sheets of lace. Smells strongly of grapefruit and tangerine. Some peach and mandarin orange. Not a bitter or biting hops aroma but very sweet citrus.

Tastes tangy and bitter. A sweet citrus offset and intermingles with a biting bitterness. Tangerine very evident as well as grapefruit, orange rind and light peach. Mouth is lightly sticky and has a long biter hoppy aftertaste. You can lick the alpha acids off your teeth. Very tasty...I Like it!!!

04-12-2005 01:29:59 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

the three C hops: Centennial, cascade, and chinok. The grapefruitiness. The malt.Nuttiness. I could stay on this all night and there is balance and flavour despite the bitterness. Brought by a generous Yank to Radekfest 05 Hop bubbles and bitterness followed by maltiness in full bottle enjoyed 7 months later.

04-04-2005 22:34:32 | More by Sammy
kmcnair

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a dark copper to amber color and makes a modest offwhite head that lingers for quite a while. Aromatics are nutty and sweet, yummy pine cones. Flavor opens up with a moderate bitterness, followed by a nutty character and lots of pine, grapefruit, caramel and sweet chewy finish. This is really good! This one is thick on the palate, leaves a lingering syrupy quality and warmth from the alcohol. I look forward to finding this one again... its very drinkable. Sadly, it is not available in my area.

03-31-2005 06:24:39 | More by kmcnair
hero27

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours out of the 22 oz. bomber a deep, cloudy orange. Head is modest but leaves beautiful lacing all the way down. A surprising amount of yeast sediment is noted as well..

Smell: Hoppy aroma is much more subdued than I expected it to be. The faint floral hop smells I can pick up are a mixture of grapefruit, pine, and citrus hops. It does, however, smell delicious.

Taste: Very piney bitter hops from start to finish. This isn't all about hops, though folks. Much more malty than I expected it to be (barleywine-like?). Quite well balanced for a double IPA.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied...big, creamy, and smooth. Carbonation a little weak which makes it seem a bit syrupy & oily in the mouth.

Drinkability: Well, I won't lie...at over 9% ABV, this thing has some bite, but it is surprisingly drinkable for a double IPA. I wish they had some of this around my area. I would buy this all the time. Great to treat yourself to, as you'll probably only need a bomber or two and you'll be set. Definitely a Herculean effort by Great Divide...yeah, I went there.

03-26-2005 00:56:30 | More by hero27
bnuttz

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a crystal clear copper color with a thick and smooth creamy white head of foam. Smell is typical citric hoppy ipa smell. Smell is also very sweet and fruity. Taste is fully sweet, like it is doused with a bag of brown sugar. But this balances out the hop bitterness nicely. The hops are spicy, but yet citric and fruity. Very nice. Mouthfeel is thick and full. This is great stuff but a little too sweet to be highly drinkable. An ipa I will be back to.

03-24-2005 03:42:04 | More by bnuttz
beveragecaptain

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

22 ounce bomber. Hazy orange with a terrifically creamy looking head. Aroma is citrus and pine hops with some sweet malt and bread. Nice grapefruit smell. The taste is big and malty at first, then a burst of flavorful hops. Not bitter until the very end, almost after you swallow. The hop flavor is big, but not too aggresive. Great balance for a double ipa, without sacrificing the hops. Full mouthfeel. Pretty easy drinking, considering the big flavor and high alcohol. This is a very good beer.

03-24-2005 02:00:09 | More by beveragecaptain
gimmehead

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Chill hazed copper with a veritable army of yeasty floaters, and a frothy white head that laces the glass beautifully. The monstrous aroma is of citric floral hops contributing to the grapefruit character that I so love, and a subtle malty undertone. The first taste is the expected initial citric hop blast. Moving forward I notice some sweet caramel malts underneath the bitter rush, some yeasty nuttiness, and a barely perceived alcohol kick. There is a great coating, lingering resinous aftertaste. Full bodied and very smooth, this magnificent brew is like a Siren softly singing my name, seductive and dangerous. 'Ware the ABV.

03-22-2005 02:41:47 | More by gimmehead
trumick

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of sticky lacing all around after each sip.

Scent is very nice with a piney, grassy hop aroma and just a hint of sweet, bready malts.

Taste is outstanding a very well balanced beer. Sweet biscuity malts for just a second then the piney, citrus hops takes over in force, but the sweetness still mingles there along side. It finishes with a dry grapefruit that stays with me for a bit. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and creamy. This beer has just the right amount of carbination to compliment the flavor.

I give this beer a high mark for drinkability. I would come back to this again and again. This goes down easy, almost too easy. The abv is well hidden, and I could easily over indulge with this one.

Great Divide has yet to disapoint. I am impressed with all of their offerings. I need to try the Yeti on my next visit to the store. I would highly recomend this beer to all "hopheads".

03-21-2005 04:15:18 | More by trumick
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Bloody Hell !! I absolutely do not care for hops at all. I don't care for the smell, the taste, or the after taste they impart on one's palate. Hoppy brews just aren't for me. I have been told by many friends, however, that I should try more of them and perhaps I'd learn to like them if only I could find one I really enjoy. This one is IT. This is a truly amazing beer. Just delicious!!! The appearance didn't really have any special appeal to me due to the fact that I am a porter/stout drinker, but it did look quite nice with its fluffly pillow-like head of foam. Orange / rust in colour. The smell is sweet and hoppy with a crippling amount of grapefruit present. The taste? I hope you really like grapefruit if you plan on tasting this. Staggering levels of grapefruit present in the taste with a pleasantly bitter hop bite. The mouthfeel is possibly the smoothest, easiest to drink beer I have ever had. This is just incredible. If you are a fan of tremendously hoppy brews, or even if you aren't I highly recommend you try this brew. Simply Smashing!!!

03-19-2005 01:38:39 | More by SilentSabre
DrJay

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Deep orange colour, a little hazy, with a creamy off-white head. The foam just didn't want to subside right through to the end and coated the glass quite nicely, forming rings of foam that indicated the size of each sip. Very pretty. Aroma was a nice combination of malty caramel and prominent grapefruit hoppiness, with some orange fruitiness thrown in for good measure. The flavour had plenty of hop bitterness and citrus flavour, balanced nicely by a big malt backbone. Lots of caramel in there. Some similarities to a barleywine. A bit of alcohol warming showed up towards the finish and complemented the full, rich body very nicely. Very tasty and balanced, making it an easy-drinking double IPA. I'm glad I gave this one another try... the first bottle I ran into must have been past its prime.

03-18-2005 01:27:51 | More by DrJay
blitz134

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a fairly dark orange copper color with a bubbly one finger nearly white head on top which clings nicely to the sides of the glass. The smell is a hop overload, just how I like it. The hop aromas range from a plethora of citrus fruits including grapefruit, tangerines and oranges. As it first hits my lips the mouthfeel and body on this beer is immediately noticeable. This isn’t your average bodied beer, this is full and heavy and it’s immediately noticeable before it even reaches the deep, dark corners of your mouth. The taste is definitely a bitter and actually stings a bit on the back of the throat (which is saying something as I have yet to find anything too bitter to drink). For those who don’t enjoy the tastebud numbing action of a heavily hopped beer; Stay away! This beer is as juicy and oily as they come. Flavor profiles range from grapefruit to a bitter finish ending in pine and resin hops. All these flavors seem to last as the mouth coating is extremely heavy. I definitely think this is a near perfect example of how a west coast double IPA should taste. Drinkability is up near the top as well if you like an unbalanced D-IPA. With no hint of alcohol this could get you in trouble.

Overall this is an awesome beer. I just hope that Green’s in Atlanta continues to get them in as this could definitely become a personal favorite of mine, especially at 4.50/bomber. For me this beer compares well with the Flying Dog Wild Dog except with a touch less citrus, but this is much cheaper. I think I’ll have another…oh wait…I still have half the bomber to go!

03-17-2005 06:04:04 | More by blitz134
Wolfsdenbrew

New Mexico

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a nice copper-orange, with a moderate off-white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving very little lacing. A bit hazy in the pour.

Aroma is a powerful hop nose, piney wiht a bit of caramel inthe background.

The taste isall about hops...beginning, middle, and end, finishes extremely bitter. Lots of pine, grapefruit and other citrus. I would like a bit more malt to counter the hops.

Moderate carbonation and medium body.

i prefer my double ipa's to be a little more balanced.

03-15-2005 02:08:04 | More by Wolfsdenbrew
warriorsoul

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Thank you to absolutesites for this one.
Pours a kick ass orange, almost rust color, w/ a finger of creamy, off-white head. Lacing is like looking at an ant farm from a cross-cut perspective...all of these carbonated pockets forming, but a lot of it clinging to the glass.
Smell is an overpowering hop rush...like no IPA or IIPA before. Major citrus, almost tangerine primarily...not a hint of alcohol. Must admit, I've had barleywines that did not smell this aromatic.
The taste is D-Y-N-O-M-I-T-E!! A thick, bitter fruity hop that coats the tongue, with the bitterness sliding to the underside to hit places that have never tasted hops...simply incredible.
Caramel, vanilla, grapefruit w/ just a touch of alcohol when working its way towards near room temperature.
I can't believe that the malt is such a presence in this brew...making this one heck of a balanced/session beer.

03-13-2005 22:29:00 | More by warriorsoul
GreenWBush

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

On-tap at Chalkies in Indianapolis, a mere $4 per pint. They left off the ABV on this particular beer, leaving me to wonder why my head was so split open after only two beers. ~9% will do it to you...especially during the day.

In the tumbler, this beer was pretty in its unassuming stature. Golden, nice lacing, little head. A hellacious whiff of pine needles and slightly scorching booze.

I often find myself resorting to the lame, unspecific adjective of "winey" when describing beer. Finally a beer has risen to the point where this somewhat shotty description truly fits, and I am almost shocked by the fact that nary a single BA mentioned this in their review.

Merlot. Sorry Miles, but this brew is laden with hopped up Merlot essence. And its a good thing.

Damn, this is one good IIPA on tap...gotta try it in the bottle to see if this winey essense was truly as potent as on-tap.

03-11-2005 05:35:28 | More by GreenWBush
futaboots

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter.

02-12-2005 04:15:35 | More by futaboots
gbontrag

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

I LOVE this. Bricks of beautiful herb in the aroma and flavor. It brings back memories of the ganja trade. Drizzle that bric-a-funk with malt syrup, and put it under a bell jar on a hot tin roof -- suck the condensation!!! This is like taking something as fresh as a crate of Hawaiian pineapples, 6 Mexican limes; puree and let sit in a china cap on a warm shelf for a coupla days. Watch it drip-drip into your cup. Spicee!!

01-31-2005 02:57:44 | More by gbontrag
swamiswamu

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours copper with a small head; good amount of lacing. There is a balance of hops and malts in the aroma that isn't quite there in the flavor. The flavor begins with a hint of pine at the back of the tongue and moves up with a more citrusy bouquet. I don't think there is the complexity of Arrogant Bastard or Rogue's I2PA, but that said this is a pretty enjoyable brew. What it lacks in complexity it makes up for in drinkability. This is a palate killer, but not jaw cringing bitter in a way that makes polishing up the bomber much easier.

01-29-2005 00:58:52 | More by swamiswamu
sweethome

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Pours a pewter color with a thin head suggesting the alcohol to follow. A near perfect nose for this hophead. Grapefruit and a facefull of hop cones.

Hop flavors burst open on the palate and give a full, syrupy mouthfeel. Not too thick as with a few in this style. The grapefruit hoppiness blends with a pine and spruce flavoring. With all the flavor hops, there is still enough malt to provide backbone. This is one fine, hoppy brew.

I savored it, sip by tiny sip and and took in the abundance of flavor. It provided an evenings worth of flavor and alcohol warmth to boot! What a treat.

01-14-2005 05:01:08 | More by sweethome
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

A somewhat hazy orange to amber color. Clears quite nicely after sitting in the glass. Very nice, puffy white head with some really nice lacing going on. A few floaters from bottle conditioning Im assuming. Big floral aroma. Somewhat grassy and citrus like. You really get the "oiliness" of the hops. Huge hop flavor upfront-very sharp on the tongue. Slight grapefruit flavor. Great body-nicely balanced between hop bitterness and abv. An excellent beer-very drinkable. I could see this being a regular in my fridge.

01-10-2005 01:47:18 | More by lackenhauser
mkopera24

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago. Obviously they pour into the proper glassware. Served in a flute, the appearance was a orange-ish gold. A good head of foam about a half-inch. Pretty well carbonated.
The smell, was a good sign of things to come. A blast of hoppy flavor through the nostrils gave a hint a number of spices.
The taste, a very hoppy bitter kick. Very potent. Works every part of the tongue. The aftertaste was a kick.
Very smooth in the mouth. Drinkability was really impressive. This is a must try for the hop lover. I would definitely have this again.

01-07-2005 20:42:07 | More by mkopera24
NeroFiddled

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Even carefullly poured from a long-standing and refrigerated bottle, Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA delivers a somewhat hazy orange-amber body with a bit of a light crimson cast. Its frothy off-white head drops steadily to become quite creamy; and then slowly fades to a standard collar and whispy surface covering. It leaves thin splashes of lace about the glass, however, which are quite nice. Bright, floral, grassy, lightly piney, and citrusy hops appear in the nose alongside some yeasty fruitiness and sweetish, honey-drizzled malt. The mouthfeel is quite nice: full and dextrinous with a very-fine bubbled, median carbonation as ballast - leaving a gently bubbly caress on the tongue before becoming more creamy and smooth. More sweetish, bready (and even dough-like), and honeyish malt appears in the flavor, dripping with floral hoppy flavors; and tempered by a slap of alcohol and a punch of bitterness that allows it to dry almost immediately in the finish! Hops, however, linger on the palate - floral, piney and citrusy; dancing and swirling until what residual malt is left fades and only bitterness remains. It's a solid duoble IPA to say the least! And very well done! The hops are blended just enough that they don't stray too far towards any particular character (fruity, citrusy, leafy, or grassy for example); and they balance perfectly with the malt that follows the same profile (ie. not too grainy, sweet, honey-ish, etc.). NICE!

01-05-2005 00:05:43 | More by NeroFiddled
beerceller99

Louisiana

22 oz. bottle. Pours orange / red with a thin, off white head. Has a big grapefruit, lemony smell. Light to medium bodied with a bone dry mouthfeel. Has a tart, citrusy lemon and grapefruit flavor. Malts are barely noticeable. Has a long, dry, tart finish.
This brew is all about the hops.

01-04-2005 20:20:29 | More by beerceller99