Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
mynie

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours bright red with an uncontrolable head. It keeps growing and growing and it didn't die, not even when all the beer was gone. Wow.

Smells like dry hops and big, doughy yeast. Nothing amazing. The hops are a little overwhelming, actually, disproportionate to the malt. Still pretty nice.

Tastes very much like it smells. Big hops, a hint of dough, a little bit of a sweet and bitter aftertaste. Goes down pretty smooth.

Good brew, this, but it lacks that raw dough *bang* of others in its style.

09-18-2005 02:35:14 | More by mynie
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

High dive pour produced a huge, dark cream colored, head that peaked abou 1/4" above the top of the glass making for a foamy 3" head. Chewy grapefruit hops escape with the pour and travel an arms length to my nose. A closer sniff revelas and equally potent biscuity malt component along with a sweet candied aspect. The head fades slowly remaining tall in the middle, while the slightly lower edge leaves a nice scattering of lace. Glowing dark copper colored beer shows little carbonation rising from the bottom. Holy crap in your face flavor. Lots of chewy candied grapefruit hops. There has to be a solid chunk of malt in there because the the alcohol is quite evident, but compared to the hops it doesn't stand a chance. Bitterness steps in midway through and by the finish is potently dominant. There is a strange "wet dog" flavor in the finish early on, but after half a pint it mellowed to a brief oddity in the finish. A big juicy IIPA that didn't quite do it for me Maybe the hops used aren't my favorite, or possibly it just didn't come together right, but I could definitely do without that freakish aftertaste.

09-16-2005 01:06:03 | More by HappyHourHero
Bumpon10s

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a pretty thick amber, hint of orange. Small head on this, but what did you expect?

S - Hops and not much else, the alcohol is well masked.

T - A very tame hop, but I like it, again, the alcohol is very light despite how heavy it actually is.

M - Very smooth, light carbonation, a slippery beer.

D - Suprisingly drinkable for a double IPA, super smooth, I will get again.

Great Divide continues to impress me, for sometimes less than $5 it is an absolute steal for an awesome beer.

09-14-2005 05:01:08 | More by Bumpon10s
orfeu

New Mexico

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Pours a very nice amberish orange enormous fluffy eggshell-colored head that sticks around like the head on a rootbeer float. The lacing is super thick and frothy, sticky, too. Aroma is piney-citrusy hops -- extremely pleasant and not overpowering, probably because of the sturdy malt presence. This malt comes through beautifully in the taste as well with strong hops, of course, slapping around the palate both at the front (clementine rind and grapefruit juice) and the back (oily, piney bitterness). The mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth and creamy. High alcohol presence (9.1% abv) is skillfully masked but emerges as the beer warms. This one is dangerously drinkable. No wonder Premier is always out of stock on this one. Highly recommended.

09-11-2005 18:00:11 | More by orfeu
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

I've been wanting to try this beer for quite some time, so I finally broke down and included it as part of a package from Vintage Cellar. I'm glad I did. Perhaps not the best I2PA I've had, but it's quite delicious.

The beer pours to a slightly hazed amber red color with a nice frothy white head that lasts thanks to a good carbonation. Unfiltered maybe? Looks exactly as I would expect a double IPA to look.

Smells and tastes like piney and citric hops, and lots of them, backed by a bit of caramel malt. A residual sweetness in the aftertaste complements the bitterness quite well. The alcohol is very well hidden. This is a great blend of an IPA. Not tongue-curling hoppy, but definitely not skimpy on the hops either. Very tasty beverage.

The body is medium and only slightly syrupy. Very drinkable considering the high alcohol content. Well done. I can't qait to crack open the Yeti and the Oaked Yeti.

09-11-2005 04:23:47 | More by neonbrown82
KarlHungus

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

This brew pours a cloudy orange-red color with a creamy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is of fruit, and pine. The taste is hoppy, and piny. The mouthfeel is quite nice. Its very smooth. Overall, this brew is an extreme let down. Way too piny for my likings.

09-10-2005 01:02:38 | More by KarlHungus
Jacobob10

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

On-tap @ The Publick House in Brookline, MA.

This is a terrific DIPA. Nice coppery color with a large fluffy off-white head. Retention was terrific and left lots of nice lacing on the glass. Tons of citrus hops in the aroma. Also some piney notes to speak of. The taste was great as well. Despite the huge hop aroma this beer had gread balance as it provided a strong malty backbone to coincide with the hops. Mouthfeel was great for a beer for this strength. Very drinkable and extremely enjoyable. This is not the most over-the-top Double IPA I've ever had, but who says it needs to be? This was more balanced than most that I've had before and more enjoyable than most as well. Highly recommended.

09-09-2005 13:11:07 | More by Jacobob10
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Very nice. I was especially impressed with the fluffy head that help up almost through the entire glass. Color leans toward amber.

Aroma isn't quite as intense as i'd like for a IIPA, but it was there and a good indicator of the flavor. Of course intensely bitter. Citrusy.

Alway amazed when something so strong and bitter can be that drinkable...

09-01-2005 17:34:50 | More by Bonhoeffer
ybnorml

Rhode Island

4.13/5  rDev 0%

An orange/amber beer with a light haze. Has a big foamy light beige head and good lace. The Aroma is mostly peppery hops with a hint of malt sweetness in the background. The flavor modulates back a forth from a piney sweet hop character to a quick peppery hop note. The finish is started with the piney character and quickly dry's right out for a dry crisp finish.

08-31-2005 21:11:59 | More by ybnorml
2ndstage

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Beautiful beer.

Surprising to me was how light colored this beer was compared to differend double IPA's that I've tried. Very light tannish color.

Hop explosion is all I can say about this one. They are everywhere hard to identify it all it hits you so much. Not as bitter as I was expecting but exceptional hop profile.
Decent malt background without being too cloying as other examples seem to be in my experience.

Overall a very smooth DIPA one of the smoothest I've tried so far. Definate recommendation.

08-25-2005 23:45:42 | More by 2ndstage
egajdzis

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Poured a dark copper color with a large off white head and awesome lacing. Strong bubblegum, citrus, and piney hop aroma. Awesome bitter citrus hops drive this brew. While a nice sweet malt balances beautifully, some peach flavors develop, and there is a lingering alcohol taste at the very end. Damn near perfect, though Dreadnaught still holds that title for me.

08-24-2005 00:23:14 | More by egajdzis
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Clear amber/red, big white head forms, lots of lacing. Smell is citrus/floral hops, sweet caramel malts, some grapefruit. Taste is sweet caramel and crystal malt, floral citrus hops, big grapefruity bitterness. Very nicely balanced and very rich. Very smooth, medium to high carbonation, medium bodied, dry and bitter. More like an american barleywine than a double IPA but a tasty brew none the less.

08-23-2005 05:52:43 | More by Viggo
Vancer

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

What a hammer! Great brew to sip while watching football, inside or out. Yeah, 85 IBUs & 9.1%, still a small step for a stepper. Gorgeous hazy pumpkin orange pour, rich tan head. Oh yeah, very nice malty sweet sniff with florals, citrus and grapefruit. Loads of hops in the quaff, of course, but enough malts to balance quite well.

Tangy and rich, puts a little fire in the belly. $5.19 for a 750 bomber.

08-22-2005 15:25:35 | More by Vancer
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

I had the chance to drink this fantastic beer at Volo, Toronto's premier beer bar. It pours a striking copper with an eggshell long lasting head. Theres a bit of chill haze which could just as well be hop haze. This beer is hoppy!

The aroma is intensely hoppy, with pungent pine notes wafting through the air as I poured. The taste starts with a high alpha almost harsh bitterness. This bitterness quickly leads into a plethora of piney, cedary, pithy, floral hop notes. Malt is present but not very robust, lending a subtle cookiedough background. The finish is mouth puckeringly bitter. Awesome!
The mouthfeel is Delicately carbonated with an almost oily consistency. Like all good DIPAs, hop oils coat my mouth and teeth, making the finish seem even longer.

I love West Coast American beers. They are so big and delicious and all the hype is justified.

A great DIPA.

08-22-2005 15:00:51 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Ellbert

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Thanks again to Bigbubba for letting me try this one.

The apperance was a nice amberish color with a nice white head.

The smell is very sweet with a great malt background. The wonderful hops came in and took charge but did not take over the aroma.

Taste was very sweet. Not what I expected in my tastings of double IPA's. This had a great malt bill to it. Very meaty and sweet with the hops which were all over the place but very balanced. The taste was phenominal.

Mouthfeel is very thick and viscous. Great.

Very smooth and drinkable even for this style.

08-21-2005 17:14:15 | More by Ellbert
JackStraw22

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Pours a slightly opaque deep amber with a huge ass tan head. Looks like a cartoon head, ridiculous. Head retention is great as is the lacing.

Smell: Hops are really in your face and wonderful. Smells like they just came off of the vine and into the glass. Lots of resin aroma, piny as hell. This is how I want my DIPAs to smell.

Taste/Feel: This might be the hoppiest tasting beers I've had, not the most bitter, but the taste is intense. Just enough malt to make it drinkable, but those hops are screamin'! Nice light hop aftertaste that makes you want that next sip. Great mouthfeel, not too sticky, can be refreshing.

I'm so glad the local beer store just got these in, hopefully the supply won't dry up!

08-19-2005 01:26:54 | More by JackStraw22
budsboy

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours clear, orangey-amber, with lots of bubble trails and a nice white head that sticks.

Smell is full, warm carmel malt and piney hops that don't overwhelm. Hints of roasted malts in there also.

Taste is sweet, carmel malt chased on its heels by an aggressive piney hop that grows more bitter, then fades back to a coating of bitterness on the tounge. Very cool experience. That wallop of alcohol is well hidden in there.

Fairly soft and round in the mouth, creamy for a 2IPA. Only slightly oily.

Very drinkable 2IPA. Not a palate masher like Dreadnaught or Ruination, but still hoppiful. The mouthfeel of this is what impressed me the most. Its not the first Great Divide that has given me that sensation. I look forward to getting more of this guy. Try some.

08-18-2005 23:21:33 | More by budsboy
methtlcai

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer had GREAT lacing and an awesome head. Poured a two finger thick pillowy head with a very hazy amber color. The smell could be sensed across the kitchen- a very clear clean piney hop oil scent. Taste was of hops and honey, very viscous hop oils and resin with the honey flavor giving it a delightfully full body. The alcohol was disguised very well. Not very complex, basically tasted like honey and hops and smelled the same, but nonetheless a very good double IPA without the smokey pain of alcohol taste.

08-18-2005 02:25:28 | More by methtlcai
nickss

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

22oz bottle.

Pours a beautiful amber with a fluffy white head. Looks ALOT like Old Horizontal in the glass... almost identical.
Come to think of it... it smells alot like Victory's O-H as well. Big hops fill the nose upon inhalation. wow.... hints of grass and hay make for a strong finish.

Tastes alot like 90min, IMO.... which is a very good thing. HUGE hoppiness! mmm. A bit of lemony citrus came through as the beer warmed a bit.

mouthfeel is thick and tongue coating, no complaints here. Very crisp feeling.

Excruciatingly drinkable... not at all overwhelming. A brilliant example of the style.... extremely well balanced... fine work indeed.

08-16-2005 02:41:59 | More by nickss
klewis

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark golden with big, lasting head. Lots of lacing.

S: The most delicious hops aromas that I've smelled to date are pouring from this brew. This is balanced nicely with a sweet candy/bubblegum aroma and hints of citrus and alcohol.

T: Initially, I thought "where's the hops", as I detected no hop flavor, just some maltiness. The hops explode in the finish with some astringency and some vegetal flavors. The taste is better than many beers, however, I felt let down after the great aromas.

M: Full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: There are so many great qualities in this beer, but the taste was a little disapointing. In the future, I'll probably try a different double IPA or stick with a regular IPA.

08-16-2005 01:03:19 | More by klewis
bigbubba

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

This is a dark orange, somewhat hazy beer. The head is small, but it stuck around a long time. The smell is great, lots of fruity hops and some sweet malty aroma also. The taste is great as well, the hops are there, but they are well balanced. There is a strong bitter aftertaste that lingers a long time, but after a few sips my tastebuds were so fried that I stopped noticing. The mouthfeel is almost perfect. It is incredibly easy to drink the first one. I would not recommend trying to drink the second one as quickly.

08-14-2005 22:21:32 | More by bigbubba
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Well, I just had Great Divide's Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti stouts, so I figure I'll give another of their Big Beers a shot. Hello, Hercules.

Hercules pours a very cloudy reddish-gold color, with a small head but ample lacing. Looks like a nice apple cider.

It smells, interestingly enough, a lot like the Oak Aged Yeti: very hoppy.

It tastes very hoppy, very piney and floral. There's some malty sweetness but it's overwhelmed by the hoppiness, as would suit a double IPA, I suppose. Surprisingly, there's a little bit of roasted maltiness here as well. There's some spicy alcohol character as well.

I'm not a hophead, but even if I was, I don't think I'd love this. It doesn't have much character besides an abundance of hoppiness. Really, I'm surprised at the similarities between this and the Oak Aged Yeti. This is a far inferior version, however: all the hoppiness, little of the backbone and depth.

08-05-2005 07:44:43 | More by battlekow
bditty187

Nebraska

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

The first pour was largely clear, dark bronze in hue with an amber-peachy influence. I really like how the liquid looks! It is darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was excellent, the foam sat on top of the liquid like concrete, and it took along while before it faded to a tight cap, which lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was awesome; it looked like lightly tattered wallpaper. The second pour had a bit more haze to the liquid; maybe I am drunk at this point. Whatever the case, this beer looks fantastic. I know that much. The bottom line is simple; this beer, for the style, cannot look any better.

The nose is thunderous with hops. There is no question that this beer is a DIPA. I am impressed that the nose is so rich with hops. Sticky. Pungent. Resiny. Piney. Sprucey. Citrusy… grapefruit flesh, rinds, orange peel, and lemon. Spicy. The alcohol is noticeable; the heat is warming my face and I haven’t even taken a sip. The malt is caramely and flirty but clearly secondary to the hops, and even the alcohol. Not matter, I am happy I can smell any malt behind the hop explosion. With every sniff I am rewarded with a glorious bouquet. It is literally making my mouth water. Can you get any more inviting then that? I wish the potency was louder but the aroma is so compact it almost makes up for it. Dangerously alluring.

The palate is wonderful, simply wonderful. I love the massive bitterness. My tongue is nothing more then a punching bag. I love it. The alcohol burns. Hot nasty heat… it stings the tongue and scorches my throat on the swallow. I love it. The caramel malt is so playful. I am surprised I can even taste it. This impresses me greatly. This beer is not heavy handed even though it is punching my palate relentlessly. There is tremendous grace; it is like Muhammad Ali in his prime. This beer floats like a butterfly and stings like a swarm of pissed-off Africanized killer bees… on steroids. Realistically, could this beer taste any better? I mean for a DIPA it has everything. There is plenty of bitterness, raw citrus bite upfront, orange and grapefruit zest in the middle, and it turns fleshy and juicy at the finish. Plus there are hints of berry and tropical fruit. Candy sugar. Cinnamon. Toffee. Naked alcohol… maybe there are some pine needles soaking in there. Wood. Mint. Delicious. Amazing. I like to compare beers in the same style. I am not with this one. It is great. It is different then Dreadnaught. It is different then Devil Dancer. It is different then Ruination. Hercules kicks ass. Sometimes it can be as simple as that… awesome. The alcohol is hitting my brain, right about half way through the bottle. It is numbing. From start to finish, this is lovely, lovely stuff.

Medium in body, maybe a tickle bigger… the mouthfeel is workable but it doesn’t standout. It is not too thin and I guess that is the most important thing. It is big enough to support this beer. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is solid.

Amazing stuff and perfectly drinkable… I want lots of cheese and then a nap. This is a hop bomb and a sedative. Hell, give me a turkey sandwich and I’m in a coma for a week. What more can I ask for? I am very impressed with this DIPA. It is bitter and aggressive but rich and complex. I love it. I purchased one bomber in Boulder, CO. This is a beer that I will have to buy many of, the next time I can. I would love for a beer like this to be available commercially in Nebraska. Maybe someday. Highly recommended.

08-04-2005 14:12:08 | More by bditty187
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

22 oz. brown bottle.

Hazed copper color with a biege froth. Lots of lace work with this beer.

Nice ambiguous citiric smells, faint malts and a wallop of alcohol.

Medium body with sharp carbonation, an oily coating, and a stinging alcohol bite in the back. Resiny hops, citric and herbal, are more flavorful than they are bittering. Sweet tinges of malt appear, along with the ever present alcohol.

Not a stellar beer, but pretty good. If the alcohol was hidden better Hercules would be a real bad ass.

08-04-2005 00:23:31 | More by Shultzerdugen
garymuchow

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

A wonderfully fresh hop aroma of grass, fruit (mostly citrus) and flowers. Complex and enjoyable throughout.
Bright, clear (almost brilliant). Dark amber of orange, red brown, gold. Firm solid head. Above average lacing. Beautiful.
Terrifically balanced. Just enough malt from start to finish to temper the intensity of the complex hops. Bitterness grows from mild to moderate in the middle to bolder in an extremely long finish of some dryness. Flavors of hops match the aroma.
Moderate feel with some fullness from the carbonation. Only mild softness.
The resiny quality of the hops can be a bit too much at times, otherwise very well done.

07-31-2005 04:31:31 | More by garymuchow