Follow our progress ...

Added by filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Reviews: 1,564 | Ratings: 4,066
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

#66 on my Beers of Fame list!

Pour is amber. white head floats in little sections.

The best words that come to mind about the smell is IDK. Semi sweet malt backbone, leafy dried hops, but no fresh hop flavors. hm.

Full body. Sticky sweet malt reminiscent of Hopslam and Two-Hearted. it feels so thick, like literal honey. Now enough with the malt, lets get to the hops, or the lack of. Theres a nice bittering hop presence which makes an attempt at balancing out the sweet malt, but it loses. Theres no ry hop flavors. What I get is very slight hints of pine, but its faint. Too faint.

3.52/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a bottle dated 2/7/12, admittedly a tad older than ideal.

A: Quite a bit of yeast floating around the bottom of the bottle - pour this one very softly. Pours a beautiful hazy orange-copper. Unfortunately, no head or lacing whatsoever, and yes, my glass was clean.

S: A well balanced citrus/grapefruit with a caramel/biscuit malt profile. Well balanced. Some yeast throughout. Wish this had more of a head so I could describe it more accurately.

T: Yummy. Starts with gobs of citrus, clear grapefruit and lemon zest. Not a heck of a lot else going on here. A nice round malt finish, but very weak and hardly noticeable. Yeasty, non-bitter finish. Citrus lingers.

M: Crisp, albeit a tad watery. Resinous. I don't say this much, but this could use a tad more carbonation.

O: This is disappointing - I'm a huge fan of GD and was really looking forward to trying their DIPA. I'll have to try a fresh batch to see if it lives up to the hype.

3.51/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

A deep orange and auburn with a 2.5 finger bone-white head that stays and stays. Tons of lacing left down the glass.

Somewhat sweet aroma dominated by caramel and toffee, as well as some alcohol, and some muted aromas of old orange flesh and peel.

Extremely bitter, along with some alcohol harshness, coupled with sweet flavors: caramel, toffee, and bread crusts overshadow most of the pungent citrus hop presence.

Medium to thick bodied.

Not one of my favorites DIPAs. It's too sweet and boozy for my personal tastes.

3.51/5  rDev -15%

Deep orange color with a thick foamy head with tons of lacing. The brew is more opaque than clear.

Smells of citrus and pine hops and biscuit-like malt. All the flavors that go along with those aromas plus a spicy alcohol kick and a semi-bitter finish. The mouth feel is meaty and carbonated.

A nice DIPA that any self-respecting hop head should try. The highlights are its fantastic looks and excellent mouth feel. There are other DIPAs that I prefer for taste, but Hercules is hard to beat for an all around brew.

3.51/5  rDev -15%

Dennis: The aroma off this is misleading, almost barley wine like, certainly not dry hopped. But that doesn't really reflect the true body. Pouring thick, almost like apricot nectar, this delivers with a high bitterness that hides the 9% alcohol very well. By the end of the glass though, it will sneak up on you. Very well done, enjoyable and hoppy in substance, but not show. The only real issue I have with this is the amount of sediment in the bottle was excessive.
Jen: This is a bitter, hoppy beer with a mild malt backbone, only to end with a smack of hops in your face! I don't really taste the alcohol, translation: goes down fairly smoothly. It has a dry finish with a nice light carbonation. Definitely drinkable!

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Amber color with off-white head. Aroma has really resiny and earthy hops with a solid malt backbone. Taste starts malty and bitter at first but in the middle I get a really weird, stale flavor and it lingers for a while. Medium body and carbonation. I don't know if I got a bad bottle but the stale/stinky flavor kind of ruins it for me.

A - Amber-orange color - 1-inch head

S - Citrus, hops, little bit of alcohol

T - Bitter, orange, alcohol, not too complex, not too syrupy like some double IPAs

M - soft, good, medium bodied

D - easy and nice drinking except for a little alcohol burn

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Fresh 2010 bottle, bomber into Celebration pint glass.

Pours redder than I expected. A slightly off-white cap sits on top with great retention and extremely sticky lacing.

The nose starts out with a earthy bitterness, very resiny. A light sweet malt backbone comes out on a good swirl.

The taste starts out with a dry astringency, followed shortly by a very dry resiny hop bitterness. Intense sweet malts come out next, followed by an ethanol burn I haven't experienced in some time. This tastes like fresh Bigfoot, with more malts and more alcohol, but worse.

Mouthfeel is heavy, with a smooth feel and lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is ok, nothing special.

Overall, I'm kind of disappointed with this one. I was expecting something floral and citrus like from a fresh IPA, but I definitely didn't get it. Either the store I got this at lied about it being a "fresh 2010" bottle or this just isn's as good as I thought it would be.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no dating into my Troeg's pint. Comes out a semi-hazy amber with a minimal head and some lacing.

Smell is dominant with piney hops and a whiff of grass and malt, but primarily and overwelmingly hops.

Taste follows smell, hops and more hops with enough malt backbone to support this hopbomb.
Alcohol is present but well disguised

Mouthfeel is good, velvety and smooth.

Drinkability is limited at this ABV but one was very enjoyable. A durable and drinkable DIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Big malty double. Had a taster recently as s bartender was trying to offer it over something I ordered. If you like your imperials with big malt go here. It doesn't deliver the citrus hop punch I like in my big ipas

3.49/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottled Sept 30 2010.. Enjoying Feb 13 2011...

A - This beer has a beautiful way of making the bubbles fill the glass. I'm using a standard unetched pint glass and bubbles are just slowly kinda drifting to the top not necessarily racing indicating a nice body. Head is DIPA ish. Not much oomph initially but has lasting power. Very pretty amber color.

S - Not really that much going on in the aroma besides some piney/floral smells its clearly all hops. There is a slight metallic smell thats hard to put my finger on.. Maybe it will come through on the taste.

T - Very bitter. Maybe my palate is not quite ready for this beer. The metallic (for lack of a better descriptive word) smell was just the alcohol which is pretty evident in this offering. I feel like I'm not actually getting much flavor. It seems like its all bitterness and alcohol. I know some people are into just that combination but it seems just a little imbalanced to me. Tastes like pinecones.

M - Excellent body and carbonation. Exactly how a DIPA should feel in your mouth.

D - Ehh... idk.. this is a tough call for me. I don't want to call out a beer that may not be the freshest of its kind... but I was not too impressed by this offering. I would certainly try it again given the opportunity... but I won't be seeking out Hercules IPA as my DIPA of choice.

3.49/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Rich thick head and tight lacing. Caramel colored with strong floral and citrus aroma. Very malty in my opinion for a double IPA. It was like a Scotch Ale mixed with an IPA. I would prefer a little less of the malt flavor but overall it was pretty well balanced. 1 more bottle in the fridge so I'll give it another shot and update if necessary.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Off tap into a tulip glass. One finger of head on a dark copper body.
It has a strong smell of orange and lemon, which it nice.
The taste is solid bitterness and a little sour orange. Bold and in your face.
The mouthfeel is normal moderate carbonation and medium body.
Overall a nice drink and I liked the orange scent and flavor that came through.

Thanks ColoradoBobs!

This beer reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree, or, to a lesser extent, Ruination -- it has a lot of hops, but it also has a lot of alcohol hotness.

The beer looks wonderful, a nice creamy heady and a delicious brown body, The head collapses all too quickly, but a faint ring remains.

The smell is resinous hops and alcohol heat. The taste is essentially the same. The alcohol hotness fades as I drink (no surprise! This is hoppy enough to cause major tastebud fatigue).

A very good DIPA, but IMHO, it is a touch too dry. The heat makes an interesting (and quickly becoming traditional) partner to the hops, but I dunno.

A solid, good beer. Essentially everything their Titan IPA offers, just more, more more. Less gymsock then their Titan as well.

A good representation of the style.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle bears a "bottled-on" date of April 11, 2011.

Hercules has a strong, resinous aroma, with healthy doses of yeast, alcohol, and malt, with hints of pine.

Intense in flavor, with alcohol, resin, yeast, malt and pine combining for a wallop of hop. The bitterness is cut by the malt, but is still quite prevalent with a dry finish.

Medium bodied, the resin from the hops gives this a sticky, almost tacky feel.

This was one of the first DIPA's I had when I began my craft beer quest, and was a favorite at that time. While exposure to other breweries has widened my interests beyond simple hop monsters, I will always have a soft spot for this brew. Still, in my opinion there are many better DIPA offerings out there that you should consider before buying a four-pack of this ale.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Hercules has a very hazy, orange-brown body with a thin tan head. The retention is great, and some pretty nice lacing is left behind as well.

The aroma is sweet and powerful. Lots of malt, lots of citrus from the hops.

The best way to describe Hercules is Big. It has a ton of everything. The hop profile is huge, with loads of citrus. The focus is on grapefruit, and there are loads of bitterness. The malt profile is at least as big as the hop profile. Hercules is really sweet, with lots of caramel flavors, as well as sweet bread. The finish has some more bitterness, and a good kick of warmth.

The mouthfeel is creamy and full, with a slightly oily feel from the hops. The bitterness is palpable.

Hercules has a huge hop profile, which is nice, but it is insanely sweet and a little bit boozy.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz, bottled on Jan 10.

A: Hazy copper body, with nice head that sticks around a while. Not much for lacing.

S: Malt dominates the nose. Sweet rolls, very similar to their Titan. Alcohol. Hardly any hop aroma, which is troubling.

T: Hop flavors are subdued. I've had this on tap at their brewery and I remember it being better. A double IPA less than 2 months old shouldn't have a hop profile so diminished.

M: Could maybe use a little more carbonation, but otherwise it's fine.

O: Great Divide's IPAs just don't age well at all. I think from now on, I'll only buy bottles I can find that were bottled less than a month ago.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap at the Collins pub.

A pours a deep copper with a nice white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S some resin, a hint of pine, and some sweet malt.

T some resin and pine up front which is balanced out with a lot of caramel malt.

M very thick almost syrupy.

Overall this is a pretty good but not great dipa. However it OS enjoyable to drink and I would consider getting this again.

3.47/5  rDev -16%

22oz bomber poured into chalice. Bottle varies from picture and is noted to have 9.1% alcohol, not 10%.

Fresh deep "brown bottle" color. Leaves a unique very full mineral lacing down the glass. A lot of yeastie boogers are not welcome... much more than your average production quality beer.

Has a crisp deep fruit hop profile with rich caramel malts.

Deepest caramel flavor i've encountered for a DIPA. Hops are actually in the foreground. Kind of reminds me of a rough Arrogant Bastard.

Very good mouthfeel with good carb.

Moderate to high drinkability.

I think that maybe this 9.1% batch may be inferior or watered down compared to the normal 10....

3.47/5  rDev -16%

355 ml bottle @ Volo. Copper colored beer with an off-white to pale yellow head. Aroma is heavy, sappy pine hops. Taste is very much the same caramel with tons of pine bitterness. The label calls it hefty, and it is. Mouthfeel is almost gritty it's so bitter and it has almost no carbonation feel

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think I may have a had a bad bottle of this one.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

Beer poured an extremely hazy orange with lots and lots of floating sediment. Reading other reviews, I can't help but think this was extremely abnormal. Very thin head with no lacing.

The beer smelled like a muted version of what a good DIPA should smell like. There were hints of piney, resinous hops but the overall aroma was fairly weak.

The taste was very hoppy...piney with some citrus notes. Again, though it felt like something was missing. There just wasn't enough flavor in this one. Makes me think the bottle was off since Great Divide packs the flavor into their brews.

Mouthfeel was slightly resinous and sticky. The sediment really detracted from the overall mouthfeel as did a noticeable lack of carbonation.

Overall, this was certainly disappointing. I'm eager to try this one again given I'm not certain that this bottle was representative of the beer.

22oz bomber in pint glass

I got a gusher when I opened the bottle so I am not sure this beer is at its best, take this for what its worth

A: Dark copper color with a creamy white head. Lots of lace.
S: Virtually non-existent nose, even as it warms up, there is not a lot going on. The malts are almost more obvious than the hops.
T: Very one dimensional, it is mostly bitter without much flavor. The hops are very present and there is a nice malt backbone. There are hints of sweetness before the hops dominate.
M: The best part of the beer, a nice creamy mouthfeel. I hate beers that come across as watery, this beer is rich but not thick.
D: This is a good but not great beer. I like their Titan IPA better. Worth trying but that is about it.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

Well, I just had Great Divide's Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti stouts, so I figure I'll give another of their Big Beers a shot. Hello, Hercules.

Hercules pours a very cloudy reddish-gold color, with a small head but ample lacing. Looks like a nice apple cider.

It smells, interestingly enough, a lot like the Oak Aged Yeti: very hoppy.

It tastes very hoppy, very piney and floral. There's some malty sweetness but it's overwhelmed by the hoppiness, as would suit a double IPA, I suppose. Surprisingly, there's a little bit of roasted maltiness here as well. There's some spicy alcohol character as well.

I'm not a hophead, but even if I was, I don't think I'd love this. It doesn't have much character besides an abundance of hoppiness. Really, I'm surprised at the similarities between this and the Oak Aged Yeti. This is a far inferior version, however: all the hoppiness, little of the backbone and depth.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber in color with a thin half finger off white head.

Dominated by hops in the nose, earthy spicy and pine note followed by a bready malt backbone.

Loads of hoppy bitterness first and followed by bready malt. Mainly pine like hop pull through in the taste and there is a big hop bite.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick with hop resin and carbonation is moderate to low

Overall I would like to try one that is a little fresher, this one is pushing 4 months and is on its last leg, I can taste the hops starting to turn. As is, it a thick piney bitter ipa with a big hop bite.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pour a nice golden orange with minimal head. Pour it fairly quickly.

The smell is very woody. The hops remind me of the SN Bigfoot Barelywine. The taste is similar to the smell. Very strong, woody hoppiness that overpowers everything. Minimal malt flavor. I can detect some faint malts that might be interesting if I could perceive them better.

I think might be one to age, given the high abv and the over-intesity of the hops when fresh. I might give it a shot.

Overall: I am a hophead of sorts, but this one is too hoppy. One surprise - the alcohol is incredibly well concealed.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company