Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 3,871
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottles about 6 months old and may be passing?
Was not blown away by this one at all being so highly rated, now granted I've had some great ipa's lately that I am comparing this to. I got more malt than hop and not a clean fresh finish that I like.
Think this one was purely preference on my part bringing down the score, and I did drink all four bottles over four nights as a reference.
Would love to ,
retry fresh or draught. (427 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -16.9%

I was a bit underwhelmed with this one. It is a normal appearing IPA, amber with a thin offwhite head on top. It smells pretty good with a nice aromatic blend of hops. The taste is not nearly as strong as I expected. It tastes good in that it is well balanced, clean, and refreshing, just not that special. (306 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Jay for the 12 oz bottle! Poured into a generic tulip.

A: Pours a reddish copper color. The head is a one finger offwhite shade. Definitely an attractive DIPA with a nice amount of lacing left on the glass.

S: There is a lot of caramel, plummy expressions, and faint pine on the nose. Surely, this one is past its prime.

T: A sweet caramel opening gives way to plenty of earthy, boozy, and piny qualities on the finish and aftertaste. Past its prime? Yeah - even still, I'm impressed by how balanced and mellow this one comes across. The boozy notes in no way ruin my moderate enjoyment of this one.

M: The texture is medium, and thankfully isn't too syrupy or boozy either way. It also lacks some of the sharpness some DIPAs develop - but to be fair, this IS an older bottle.

O: Quite good, considering its advanced age. Fresh, this is one to keep an eye on. (874 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance: Cloudy-unfiltered. A nice golden copper color-very opaque. Minimal head and with a decent lacing.

Smell: Hoppy aroma-not overbearing but pleasant. Sweet caramel overtones are present-from the malt.

Taste: Hoppy as the aroma indicates-malt presence is noted-adds a sort of sweet taste.

Mouthfeel: Good-Very slightly oily with medium carbonation-just about the right combo.

Drinkability: Above average-one or two a session is good.

Overall a good beer-Would like to get my hands on one right off the beer truck to sample-of course fresher is better with this style (579 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured a cloudy apricot color with moderate slightly off-white puffy head.
Smell is loaded with hops, piney, grassy, citrusy.
Taste is also a hoppy experience, but the maly is completely overwhelmed.
Finish with strong hop notes and not much else.
Was difficult for me to finish. Not a favorite of mine. (307 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

The beer pours a dark copper moving toward brown color with a slightly sticky off-white head. The aroma is pine, citrus, with some malt notes sneaking through. Medium bodied and coats the palate. Big hops and malt flavors. Pine and citrus and bitter dominate the palate but the caramel from malt provides a strong balance.

This brew has a good balance but there is something that just doesn't shout outstanding. Not bad but not my favorite DIPA. (447 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

pours a beautiful burnished copper tone; a moderately vigorous pour yields 1" creamy/foamy light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly... some lacing but below average for the style.

nose is surprisingly malty, even for a DIPA with a malt backbone; there is a citric/pine presence but it's almost relegated to second fiddle; definitely not an aromatic hop monster.

flavor profile follows suit, to the point it's reminiscent of a barleywine and i'm questioning the freshness (can't find a bottled date even though my understanding is there should be one; was told at the store it's fresh.) don't get me wrong, it's drinkable and reasonably tasty, just nowhere near a top flight double IPA (at least by my own personal standards).

medium-full mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall i have to say i feel hercules was a bit of a letdown. i remember having it a year or two ago and REALLY enjoying it; our renewing of acquaintances hasn't gone so well, unfortunately. hey, just one man's take. don't get me wrong, i'll happily drink this any day; it's just that i could easily rattle off a couple dozen DIPAs that i'd prefer. (1,165 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

A- Pours a reddish orange hue with a huge, thick, 2.5 finger head that seems to stay for quite a while leaving lacing galore.

S- Smells sweet, piney hops dominate followed by citrusy notes.

T- Thick earthy with hints of grapefruit and some pine. Bitter with the alcohol a bit to apparent.

M- Thick and clings a bit to the mouth. Very carbonated.

D- Not anywhere near the most drinkable dipa i've ever had. The alcohol is a bit too apparent and the bitterness is a bit intense in that it isnt balanced as well as i would have hoped. Aside from the criticism, I really enjoyed this brew. (589 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a dark amber color with a small head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. Hoppy aroma, as expected - cascades most likely. Not much more registers with me than the strong hop aroma. The flavor was much of what I expected, but not as hoppy. It's well hopped for an I2PA, but still not as much as I thought it would be. Nice sweetness balances out the hops pretty well and it turns out to be a very smooth drink. Malts can be found once it starts to warm a little, but the hops prevail. (495 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Beautiful hazy golden yellow.

Smell - Yeasty. Reminds me of a Matilda I had earlier this summer with a lacto infection, but with less of a "dirty diaper" smell. This particular bottle: 7/10/13 does seem to have some sort of infection but I haven't tried the other 3 in the 4-pack yet.

Taste - Malts are strong but the hops seem to be lost to the overpowering yeasty aroma. Sweetness prevails and I actually think that the infection seems to compliment the malts in a way that I never could have anticipated.

Mouthfeel - Bready/Chewy.

Overall - Seems like I've encountered an infected anomaly, but based on the malt profile I would take a Double Trouble over this guy any day. (694 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%

Tons of grapefruit aroma. as it warms I detect some Amarillos. Not a lot of malts here. Dark copper orange with a smallish beige head. As it warms, the head becomes very sticky. Nice. Bitterness overload. No too much balance. This thing grabs your tongue in a full nelson and has not intent of braking the hold. Medium body. Pretty puckering and astrigent. I’d take Hercules over most beer, but for IIPAs, very avarage. (420 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%

Dark amber-brown color with yummy looking tan froth head.

Smells of piney hops, sweet malt, wood and alcohol.

Malty taste that gets a little too sweet when it warms but is also toasty and caramely. The other tastes are piney hops and alcohol (gets wayy stronger as it warms).

Basically its the mouthfeel I don't like about this beer, feels too soft. The alcohol is too dominant. (387 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

From tap to delerium tulip glass

Pours amber-red in color, dense...viscosity suppresses the carbonation leading to a small head. Nothing lacking in nose though, as waves of ripe citrus notes and alcohol swarm. The taste is even more aggressive with bitter pine and citrus notes pressed up against sweet, chewy malts. Full bodied and complex, it takes a few sips before your palate can wrap itself around the astringent overtone.

Flavorful, but a little too big for its own good. The profile is layered but disjointed. I'd drink this again if it was offered, but there are a lot of more satisfying DIPA's out there. (617 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-draught into a snifter at Great Divide's tap room in high altitude Denver, Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of fair cream fair thickness, and damn good retention (especially for the ABV). Colour is a nontransparent copper peach.

Sm: A moderate strength aroma of hops and light cream.

T: Quite hoppy, with some cream. Fortunately, not too bitter on the finish. Balanced and subtle. Not complex, but featuring a sophisticated simplicity. No alcohol comes through, an impressive feat.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some nice cream.

Dr: Drinkable for an IPA. Subtle and lovely. I'd have it again. Would pair well with spicy food.

B- (670 characters)

Reviewed 1/6/0006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a cloudy brown color body, with a small head that is quickly diminishing, white. A strong aroma of hops, some sweetness. Strong bitter taste, but I've had stronger, slight chocolate, smooth, sweet, dry finish. Not a very complex flavor. (276 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. served at 50* in a snifter

bottled 1-25-11

poured a nice orange with a thin 1/2 finger off-white head.
Aroma is decent amount of citrus, and resiny hops, there is a bready malt aroma as well.

Flavor is a smooth resin and citrus hop bitterness, balanced by the malt. The malt flavor is not sweet, its bread like (reminds me of the flavor of fat tire). You get a warmth from the alcohol.

This is not a beer that assaults you with hops. That being said it is a little simple for a DIPA. The malt flavor is to distinct, it differentiates itself from the hops instead of complimenting the hops. (600 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -18.6%

22oz bomber poured into pint glasses.

Dark golden-amber brew raises a smallish head that leave some nice lace. Lovely floral/pine/grapefruit aromas emerge from the glass...hops just smell so wonderful. Then a drink...the mouthfeel is somewhat heavy and sticky. The alcohol is hidden well, balanced by extra sweetness, which also blanace the intense hoppy bitterness as well...but there the whole enterprise is dragged down. I don't know why I even bother with double IPAs...obviously i have a problem with the style. The the hop flavors and aromas are wonderful, so why mess with that beauty by weighing the brew down with all the extra alcohol and sweetness? I just don't get it. These beers always come across and heavy, unbalanced, and much less drinkable than the normal-strength IPAs in the family. This is a beer with great taste and it is made well, but it is marred by being made to be huge, IMO. (905 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -18.8%

Looks really good. Dark orange and huge thick head
Smell is minimal hops and breads
Taste is more malt than hops but complex. Peppers, chocolate, cinnamon, and mild citrus. This is definitely an IPA for malty IPA fans. Not quite west or east. (247 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

Reviewed from notes taken on 6/14/10.

A - Pours a hazy amber with 2-fingers of intricate foamy head. Leave sticky lacing in the glass.

S - Toffee, grapefruit, biscuit malt and a tiny bit of what I affectionately refer to as "cattiness". Intense.

T - There's a lot going on for a DIPA ; caramel and biscuit malts, bitter citrus (grapefruit and orange), pineapple and white pepper. Not quite as balanced as I like and a bit too sweet for my taste.

M - Medium-bodied with a nice crisp level of carbonation.

D - This one got a bit cloying for me, I struggled through the last 1/3 of the bottle. Perhaps it was a bit old, I may have to re-visit. (645 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

Too malty for an IPA or Double IPA in my opinion. Just not my cup of tea. I like strong IPAs, but much prefer ones with a crisp, clean, dry, hoppy finish. In fairness, Great Divide describes this beer as "hoppier and maltier" than a typical IPA. I think "malting up" an IPA makes little sense. It's almost as if the malts and hops are competing for the palate and it becomes chaotic, a sensory overload of sorts. It's a serious beer, I would drink it again, and I would rate it as a good beer in general. But I expect something a bit different in a true IPA. I'd have to give this one a C+ or a B- (597 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a DFH Signature Glass

A- A nice copper color with a nice big beige head that actually dissipated fairly quickly after the pour. Looks like a great DIPA!

S- Hops? Where are you? The initial smell I had to check the bottle to make sure this was truly a DIPA! I was thrown off. My first sniff brought aromas of a nutty sweetness like pecans. Then the malt sweetness made its presence known. And in the very back some hops were being detected.

T- Again, I was missing the hops. Don't get me wrong, this beer was good but it was not what I was expecting with a DIPA on the label. This beer seemed to be VERY balanced. The malt sweetness was there, the hops were there but it wasn't wearing away at my enamel.

M- Good mouth feel. Seemed to be moderate in body and good carbonation.

O- A good beer, just not what I was expecting with a DIPA. I'm wonder how old this one was.... (908 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a dark amber in color with ruby highlights. Decent inch and a half of head forms on the pour. Looks good. Smell is hoppy, but with substantial caramel malts behind lending the support. Juicy, citrusy hops start off initially, then the bitterness kicks in and finishes off the taste. Big and bold in the mouthfeel. This is a big beer. Good DIPA but far from my favorite. (375 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Pours an amber reddish color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes in an instant. Rings of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Piny, citrus, and grapefruit hops. A large bitterness in the nose. Very little malt sweetness. Almost no balance.
T: Again, piny, citrus, and grapefruit. Bitterness is up front. A very light malt sweetness lingers on.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A soapy, oily, and sticky consistency. Not the hardest DIPA to drink, but the bitterness makes this a one and done.

Not the worst DIPA I have ever had. Nothing out of the ordinary. I will probably never get this again. Though if you are a fan of oily and bitter hops, I would recommend this. (686 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

You may notice that my individual category rankings are all over the board for this one. There's a reason...

A- Clear bronze with off-white head that lasts and leaves several layers of lacing on the glass.

S - Um. Earthy hops with really grainy caramel... I gotta be honest; all this really does is create a very real vomit character. Not good.

T - Wha?! Oh, I get it double ENGLISH IPA. Didn't see that one coming, but I only have my own biases to blame. Totally expecting the good ole American version. Very grainy flavor, especially from pale malt and caramel. The hops are there, but mostly in bitterness, not too much in flavor. They are earthy and grassy, but don't seem nearly close to the 82 IBU listed on the bottle. Totally grain dominated. It actually reminds me of an overly hopped maibock. Bottled on date is less than two months ago, so I can't blame it on being not very fresh.

M - This is a winner. Very VERY smooth carbonation and medium body. You can't feel a bit of alcohol.

D - If you plug your nose until you take a swig, it's extremely drinkable, due to the deft hiding of alcohol content. Not bad if you just get past that smell.

I haven't read a review of this one yet as not to bias myself. I'm really interested in what others have to say. This being a DIPA be style, I'm guessing it's a little inflated in its score. (1,351 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: Clear copper/amber with burnished copper leanings. Head is off-white, chunky, massive, and sticky as can be. Big clumps of chunky lacing stick to the glass. Deeper reds than expected, looks more in line with an imperial amber.

Smell: Huge biscuity sweet malts. Caramel malts. Caramel sweetness. Almost raw sugar sweetness before it warms. Big chewy malts push something close to molasses at times. Pine needles, grapefruit flesh, even some earthy/herbal leafy hop notes. Sweetness drops as the beer warms. Big malts and big hops in some weird overbalance.

Taste: Pithy, oily hops. Grapefruit rind and pine needles. Biscuity malty sweetness. Some nice caramel malts in the back. Mild nutty with a damp, herbal earthiness from the hops. Lots of big flavors. Lingering pithy bitterness. Leafy and vaguely grassy at times. Malts push ahead of the hops as the beer warms, keeping it sweet and oily in the long run.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium, but slick and smooth. Some lingering dryness. Lightly moderate carbonation.

Overall: Finishing more than a bottle of this was one of the 12 labors.

I like Great Divide on the whole. This ultimately loses out with it's weird attempt at balance. The malts just don't mesh with the huge hop presence and it drinks like 2 beers at the same time. A bit more depth and nuance, with a cleaner hop profile, would bump this in to I want to drink it again territory. (1,411 characters)

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company