Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,839 | Reviews: 1,556
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a soft reddish amber with an off white head that leaves a nice lace around the rim
S-tons of citrus, a slightly pine aroma in the background
T-Malt dominates the flavor up front providing a nice sweetness followed by a great hop bitterness that continues to be citrus and pine. Clean finish
M-Medium bodied.
O-tons of flavor and very well balanced double ipa. It is a big beer but still remains very drinkable and has lots of hops. Absolutely loved it and highly recommend

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear, very bright, orange body with a thick white head.

Nose was super clean and crisp citrus hop smell. Fresh citrus peel, grapefruit, even hinting at oranges. Some floral notes as well. Really a breathtaking nose.

Surprisingly medium bodied with a very clean taste. For 9.1% this thing could have been as thick as a barleywine, but it’s not at all. Magnificent fresh citrus hop taste. Sharp pepper, citrus peel, grapefruit, Caramel, a light nuttiness, mostly though just a big, clean, very crisp malt that let’s the fresh citrus hop shine through.
The finish has a lingering minty, spice taste.

Amazingly this beer is never overpowering with the hop taste, even at 81 IBU’s.

This beer is really outstanding. The fresh citrus taste is just so crystal clear against the perfectly balanced malt. It’s like when you can see into a clear lake or something. More please.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - rich amber with a frothy finger width head that, at this very moment, is slowly disappating. The disappating head leaves a film on the sides of my beer goblet. 5 minutes or so after I first check the aroma, I am now detecting some caramel notes.

S - frighteningly PINE! I'm a malt head so I'm very scared right now. This is a clean, fragrant, and crisp pine aroma with something slightly floral or "planty" in the background. The best way to describe the "planty" aroma is like that "planty" smell you get from a good bag of doobage (sorry, but that's the best description I can offer).

T - WOW! hoppy with a rich and deep malty middle followed by a hoppy finish. THEN there is a subtle alcohol warming BUT this does not taste boozy in any way, shape, or form. AND I find myself savoring this hoppy flavor... I'm not sure. That malty middle is fantastic! There is a warmth about it. Okay, I know I need to say something that identifies the particular flavor notes I am gathering BUT this is, in my opinion, has a balance about it that I find amazing.

M - full bodied texture and just shy of neary chewy. carbonation seems just right - mild but apparent and quite noticeable (fine and tiny prickly bubbles on the tongue).

D - I started this beer less than 10 minutes ago and its almost gone. GREAT drinkability!

Okay, if you are to have this beer, let it warm a bit. This is an amazing beer. I will buy this again AND tell my friends about this. This beer is so good that I am a malt head (I think but this beer leaves me unsure now) AND I can easily label this as one of my "go to beers". This beer is "hot"!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 22oz bottle into a pint glass poured a dark hazy copper orange color with a tan frothy head. Smelled strongly of citrus and piney hops. Taste is refreshing and smooth with a nice dose of toasted malt and a nice hoppy bitterness. This is a very well balanced Dipa you can harldy notice the 9.1% abv. This is a great beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear, amber color with a heavy, fluffly off white foam. Tracing is perfect on my wine glass. Aromas are very juicy, citrusy and quite resinous. Sweet maltiness with a touch of alcohol is also picked up. Hop forward in flavor with bursts of Chinook and Centennial hops followed by a sweet honey like flavor and then again with a biting bitter close. This beer improves much more when it warms up a bit. It is quite similiar to Old Ruffian with a tad smaller body.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color with a nice frothy 2-finger off white head. Leaves nice sheets of lacing. On the second pour, the beer clouds up. I didn't know this was bottle conditioned.

When I poured this, I could smell a lot of hops. But now that the beer is in the glass, the hops aren't the main attraction to me. The main smell I get is a very sweet maltiness. I love this smell. This sweet smell reminds me of Thomas Hardy's. I wish I could explain this smell better. Also a piney hop smell. I can't make out the alcohol in the smell.

Sweet malty flavor ends with a nice hop bite. There is also some alcohol in the finish. This isn't just a hop bomb like some DIPAs. It's very well balanced.

Full-bodied and oily. Leaves my lips sticky sweet.

Highly drinkable and tasty DIPA. Officially one of my favorites. It's right up there with the Weyerbacher Simcoe and DFH 90 min. Another reviewer mentioned the tasty burps this beer produced. Agreed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep copper body topped by a thick, long-lasting cream head that hangs around for the duration. Thick lacing coats the glass. Aroma of malt, pine, and tangerines with a hint of grapefruit rind and mango. The flavor - WOW! - what flavor! Assertive bitterness, yet still very smooth. Deep resinous pine complemented by caramel, toffee and biscuit flavors. A lingering note of orange rind stays on the palate. Alcohol sweetness is also present and then you feel the warmth travel down the throat. The mouthfeel is thick and rich yet carbonated by enough fine bubbles to not get cloying. Assertive bitterness keeps this from being imminently drinkable, but I do want to make my own version. It’s that good. The "hype" is well deserved on this one. Definitely one strong, powerful, and impressive beer. Will make me look for more Great divide brews, for sure.

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Spectacular head, feels great, tastes awesome with my Singapore Mei Fun!

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: From a 22 oz. bomber. After cleaning up the mess this bottle made when it overflowed as soon as I popped the cap, this beer poured a medium-dark, murky copper with a medium-sized, antique white, frothy, slowly diminishing head.
Smell: Marvelous. An excellent balance of citric hops and sweet caramel malts. Also scents of pine, alcohol, herbs and pineapple are present.

Taste: Big hops of course, but far from being a one-dimensional hop-attack. Rather sweet and tea-like. The initial bitterness backs off a bit to let the solid, sweet, bready malt backbone make its presence known, but the mix of fruit flavors stick around. As the beer warms, the bready malts really start coming out. Lots of orange on the finish, along with some alcohol spice and warmth, pine, resin, and a lingering sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, slightly oily/slightly creamy texture, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: For as huge as this beer is, it goes down dangerously easy. I was very nappy with the balance and depth of this beer. Too often these beers end up being all about the hops and very one-dimensional. This one I truly enjoyed and will have to pick up more when I find it. I highly recommend this one.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

App- There is a huge, sheberty head on this beautiful beer. Crystal-clear amber color, respectable lacing, even on my family's head-hostile glassware.

Nose- Extremely inviting cinnemon, deep beady malt, and grapefruit.

Taste- Ballanced, mellow. Begins with hop bitter, juicy crystal malt, and slight yeast bite all stacked. Big hop bitter slowly cascades over other flavors, but never quite suppresses the exceptional malt character of this beer. It is a great, robust, toffee/ bready malt flavor. I get slight spiciness as the beer warms. Aftertase is strongly resinous hop bitter, pehaps with a wisp of alcohol. Moutheel is perfect wieght and has a nice level of sticky.

If you are looking for a double IPA that blows your mind with a spectrum of hop characters, this is not your beer. However I can not think of a Double IPA I have had that brings, bigger, fuller, flavors, foregounds the bitter, achieves balance, and maintains drinkability better than this beer. While it is by no means the main character, the malt flavor here really makes this beer stand out among others in its style. The only thing keeping me from giving this a 5 for taste is I would like at least one identifiable hop chaacter besides straight bitter.

This is an exceptionaly well-built beer.

22 oz bottle from Consumer Beverage in Lockport, Ny bottled 9/9/11

Pours an orange color with white head, decent lacing after short retention

Aroma is dominated by citrus and malty sweetness.

I get worried with double ipa's because if they are not done right the flavor can have an orange juice like quality. With the aroma I was a little worried but the flavor is nicely balanced between the citurs and pine hops, malt sweetness and dryness from the alcohol. The bitterness is accertive but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is medium body and slightly prickly from the hops and alcohol.

I can't ask for more from a double ipa, this one does it right. Very drinkable, very american, I can have it again and again.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

A: A delicate pour yields a massive, fluffy white head that retains its density quite well and leaves thick lacing on its painstakingly slow descent. After a while, cloud formations appear as if the glass had its own weather system. The beer is a see-through ambery-rust color that looks attractive.

S: Lots of citrusy hops in the nose, hints of grapefruit, but with a depth of character that entices the tastebuds. Other than that, not much else is noticeable, but this is definitely enough to get me going.

T: Big, bold, and balanced. Just as it should be. The array of hop flavors, predominantly citrusy, with floral and grassy notes as well, hit the palate toward the middle and finish, but the malty base up front is strong enough to ride out the wave of flavor and provide great balance. Seeing the darker, amber hue, I had hoped this would be the case, and I was not disappointed. Finish and aftertaste are refreshing and fade gently away.

M: Mealy and chewy, sticky, with an enjoyably thick aftertaste of hops that really stands out amongst the Double/Imperial IPA crowd. Still, even with a heavier texture, it glides off the tongue and throat smoothly and doesn't stick around too long or taste too harsh.

D: Incredibly drinkable, especially for a style known for being rather extreme. Balance is the key here, and I'm glad Great Divide picked up on that when they brewed this thing. The description on the label reading "its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile" is as accurate as one can get. Great job on an outstanding beer.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

What more can you say about Great Divide this co. knows how to make IPA better than your grandmal baking cookies! There titan ipa is the best 6 pk. ipa available in Ga. The first sniff of the nose I was in hop heaven. The color was a brillant amber with a nice thick head that laced the glass the whole way down. and what a powerful display of hops. Some dbl ipa can be to malty trying to balance out the bitter sting. but this beer stings like a bubble bee!
with a mild malt backbone. And the finish last for days. If your a hop head like me this is a must have.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Oh Great Divide, how I wish you were on the east coast where I could easily find you... this DIPA rocked.

Wonderfully hoppy and citrusy with a pineyness to it that made it unique tasting and different. Bubbly. Very, very smooth and creamy. Amazingly crisp and refreshing, and the alcohol content is well-hidden. After a few sips you get a nice warming feeling going on. Warm and fuzzy.

Hopfiends- you will love this brew. I can't say enough about it- delicious, amazing, wonderful. Great DIPA.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz bottle from a 4pk bottled on May 2nd 2011. Poured into weizen glass. (I'm gonna be feeling good after this, just finished my Indiana Krunkles)

A: Transparent copper color with very minimal head, just a little sudsy ring of tan foam around the edges.

S: Strong sweet toffee and a little roasted malt aroma backed by pine and citrus hops. All in all it smells pretty balanced, and rather sweet.

T: Bitter hop flavor up front with a further blast of strong hops and strong sweet candy like malts. It's honestly amazing me how easily this beer goes down for how strong it is, and packed with sooo much malt and hops. I've always been a fan of the hop heavy DIPA's but this one does not disappoint albeit it's balanced qualities.

M/O: Medium-full bodied, light-medium carbonation, sweet and mouth watering. This beer is loaded up so much I feel like I could chew on it and it would ooze juices like an overripe mango. Ah, I am pleasantly surprised by this beer, it is almost nothing like it's sibling "Titan IPA" but equally as high quality for the style. Speaking of style, I'd say this falls close to something like DFH 90, but then defecates all over it, because it's that much better. (Thanks for the birthday 4pack bert!)

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of sticky lacing all around after each sip.

Scent is very nice with a piney, grassy hop aroma and just a hint of sweet, bready malts.

Taste is outstanding a very well balanced beer. Sweet biscuity malts for just a second then the piney, citrus hops takes over in force, but the sweetness still mingles there along side. It finishes with a dry grapefruit that stays with me for a bit. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and creamy. This beer has just the right amount of carbination to compliment the flavor.

I give this beer a high mark for drinkability. I would come back to this again and again. This goes down easy, almost too easy. The abv is well hidden, and I could easily over indulge with this one.

Great Divide has yet to disapoint. I am impressed with all of their offerings. I need to try the Yeti on my next visit to the store. I would highly recomend this beer to all "hopheads".

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

I LOVE this. Bricks of beautiful herb in the aroma and flavor. It brings back memories of the ganja trade. Drizzle that bric-a-funk with malt syrup, and put it under a bell jar on a hot tin roof -- suck the condensation!!! This is like taking something as fresh as a crate of Hawaiian pineapples, 6 Mexican limes; puree and let sit in a china cap on a warm shelf for a coupla days. Watch it drip-drip into your cup. Spicee!!

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Hop bomb exploded in my house tonight. 22 ounce bomber poured a bright orange copper. Nice two finger head. Citrusy hop nose offing magic aromas. Super bitter. A hophead's dream. I'm glad I have been working out my palate this past year. Otherwise this would be too much. The piney hops really come through in the aftertaste. Nice lacing. I wanted this to be the best beer I have had in the past year. I may still have to defer to Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale. Double IPA's are enjoyable but may still be way too much. Who am I kidding, this is amazing!!! Bomber really settles in nicely on the palate after about a half a pint. The hops really hide the high ABV%. Great way to start the New Year.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a very nice copper color with some good head and decent lacing. It has a great scent, very hoppy with citrus and floral overtones. Absolutely great American IPA flavor, a great hop combo, a great bitter, hoppy taste, without being too much, with nice citrus undertones. A very smooth beer for being so high ABV. Nice job.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome head retention! A very will-built brew. Solid orange/red color with fantastic clarity. Head is tan and densely foamy. Great lacing too.

Apricots, dark red apples, woody, pine, resinous.

Holy bitterness, yet well done. Smooth and delicious bitterness that well rounded and has great lasting flavor. Lots of depth and consistently changing and melding flavors. Very light and easy drinking for a thick hearty dense IPA. Lots of great pine flavors without being a hop bomb. If anything is bad about the flavor, it's that it's just a bit too sugary...but, not overly so.

Very well thought out and nicely executed DIPA. Highly recommended!!! A must try for sure. Great work GDBC, keep em' coming!

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Copper colour with quite of bit of a head. It appears to be mildly carbonated like most American IPAs.

S: Malty aroma, that smells of pine with a slight hint of fruits.

T: What a complex beer. This is my first double IPA, and it starts off with a lot of malts. It doesn't quite make sense, with a double IPA, but it works really well. After the piney/malty flavour the hops rush onto your tongue. The hop flavour in this beer is simply addicting.

M: There is a bit of a bite with the carbonation, but after that it has a thick smooth feel in the mouth.

D: I'm not sure how many I could drink of these, simply because I'd get a bit drunk with the high alcohol content. Beautifully hoppy.

I'm going to have to search for more Double IPAs, this is might become one of my favourite styles.

Serving Type: Bottle in an English pint glass.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: a clean golden color with a very thin head. Looks exactly like what an IPA should look like.

Smell: Hops come out right away. Not in a pungent way, clearly brewed in a very refined way such that the hops come at you in a very crisp way.

Taste: Fantastic. You can taste the hops in a very nice and integrated way. Unlike a beer like the New Belgium Ranger where the hops almost feel separate from the remainder of the beer, this one has a heavy bitter flavor but is smooth in the delivery. The malt flavor seemed to be more powerful the more I drank it but there is a good malty flavor. As well, slight burnt smell that adds to the flavor. Very good DIPA

Mouthfeel: good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, very refreshing.

Overall: To copy Jason, the flavor is fantastic and the alcohol comes at you from nowhere - doesn't taste like too much alcohol but you'll notice it soon. This is a great beer, one of the best ones I've ever had.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Pours a rich amber color with a half inch off-white head.

S- I pick up some sweet malts, but it's mostly pines and citrusy hops. You can tell that this DIPA is going to have a powerful hops flavor.

T- Wow is this a tasty beer. I was surprised by how balanced it was after I picked up mostly hops from the smell. I detect hints of caramel and toffee at first. The malts work hard to show their face, but the hops, cascade I believe, win over with pines and citruses. The bottle says it has 85 IBU's. This is an aggressive beer.

M- It's very smooth and creamy.

D- I drank the bomber and wished I had more. The strong balanced taste makes it so easy to drink. Just beware of the strong alcohol.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a two week old 22 oz bomber.
Clear orange-copper colored DIPA with a thin film of a head that stays throughout the course of the drink. Very good carbonation.
Aroma is a very nice blend of floral hops with citrus, pine and hints of sweetness.
Taste is bold. A hint of sweetness upfront before the hops absolutely assault the palate. Just what I was looking for in a DIPA. The lingering bitterness from the hops is perfect.
Nice oily, chewy mouthfeel with very good lacing.
All in all one of the best DIPA's I have had.
Drinkability is very good considering the 10% alcohol.
This is a must-try for every hop head. Definitely worth trying.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a medium-dark amber with a nice head. Smell is citrusy with a lot of pine coming through. The taste is very hoppy. Definitely a DIPA, though not the most overwhelming I've had. Piney hops make themselves known immediately and stay in the mouth after the beer is gone. A citrus taste is there as well. The beer is bitter, but balanced. A nice, slightly creamy malt taste balances this ale perfectly. The mouthfeel completes the balance of the ale. The hops, malt, and carbonation are almost perfect. I drink a fair bit of great divide and I would offer one word of caution; I have had a few bottles of this and the barleywine that were subdued and off balance. These beers seem to past their prime quicker than many. Again, I'm just speculating about that. But when you get one that doesn't suffer from that affliction, great divide is spot on.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company