Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 3,892
4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color with a nice frothy 2-finger off white head. Leaves nice sheets of lacing. On the second pour, the beer clouds up. I didn't know this was bottle conditioned.

When I poured this, I could smell a lot of hops. But now that the beer is in the glass, the hops aren't the main attraction to me. The main smell I get is a very sweet maltiness. I love this smell. This sweet smell reminds me of Thomas Hardy's. I wish I could explain this smell better. Also a piney hop smell. I can't make out the alcohol in the smell.

Sweet malty flavor ends with a nice hop bite. There is also some alcohol in the finish. This isn't just a hop bomb like some DIPAs. It's very well balanced.

Full-bodied and oily. Leaves my lips sticky sweet.

Highly drinkable and tasty DIPA. Officially one of my favorites. It's right up there with the Weyerbacher Simcoe and DFH 90 min. Another reviewer mentioned the tasty burps this beer produced. Agreed. (994 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep copper body topped by a thick, long-lasting cream head that hangs around for the duration. Thick lacing coats the glass. Aroma of malt, pine, and tangerines with a hint of grapefruit rind and mango. The flavor - WOW! - what flavor! Assertive bitterness, yet still very smooth. Deep resinous pine complemented by caramel, toffee and biscuit flavors. A lingering note of orange rind stays on the palate. Alcohol sweetness is also present and then you feel the warmth travel down the throat. The mouthfeel is thick and rich yet carbonated by enough fine bubbles to not get cloying. Assertive bitterness keeps this from being imminently drinkable, but I do want to make my own version. It’s that good. The "hype" is well deserved on this one. Definitely one strong, powerful, and impressive beer. Will make me look for more Great divide brews, for sure. (855 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: From a 22 oz. bomber. After cleaning up the mess this bottle made when it overflowed as soon as I popped the cap, this beer poured a medium-dark, murky copper with a medium-sized, antique white, frothy, slowly diminishing head.
Smell: Marvelous. An excellent balance of citric hops and sweet caramel malts. Also scents of pine, alcohol, herbs and pineapple are present.

Taste: Big hops of course, but far from being a one-dimensional hop-attack. Rather sweet and tea-like. The initial bitterness backs off a bit to let the solid, sweet, bready malt backbone make its presence known, but the mix of fruit flavors stick around. As the beer warms, the bready malts really start coming out. Lots of orange on the finish, along with some alcohol spice and warmth, pine, resin, and a lingering sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, slightly oily/slightly creamy texture, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: For as huge as this beer is, it goes down dangerously easy. I was very nappy with the balance and depth of this beer. Too often these beers end up being all about the hops and very one-dimensional. This one I truly enjoyed and will have to pick up more when I find it. I highly recommend this one. (1,223 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13%

App- There is a huge, sheberty head on this beautiful beer. Crystal-clear amber color, respectable lacing, even on my family's head-hostile glassware.

Nose- Extremely inviting cinnemon, deep beady malt, and grapefruit.

Taste- Ballanced, mellow. Begins with hop bitter, juicy crystal malt, and slight yeast bite all stacked. Big hop bitter slowly cascades over other flavors, but never quite suppresses the exceptional malt character of this beer. It is a great, robust, toffee/ bready malt flavor. I get slight spiciness as the beer warms. Aftertase is strongly resinous hop bitter, pehaps with a wisp of alcohol. Moutheel is perfect wieght and has a nice level of sticky.

If you are looking for a double IPA that blows your mind with a spectrum of hop characters, this is not your beer. However I can not think of a Double IPA I have had that brings, bigger, fuller, flavors, foregounds the bitter, achieves balance, and maintains drinkability better than this beer. While it is by no means the main character, the malt flavor here really makes this beer stand out among others in its style. The only thing keeping me from giving this a 5 for taste is I would like at least one identifiable hop chaacter besides straight bitter.

This is an exceptionaly well-built beer. (1,276 characters)

22 oz bottle from Consumer Beverage in Lockport, Ny bottled 9/9/11

Pours an orange color with white head, decent lacing after short retention

Aroma is dominated by citrus and malty sweetness.

I get worried with double ipa's because if they are not done right the flavor can have an orange juice like quality. With the aroma I was a little worried but the flavor is nicely balanced between the citurs and pine hops, malt sweetness and dryness from the alcohol. The bitterness is accertive but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is medium body and slightly prickly from the hops and alcohol.

I can't ask for more from a double ipa, this one does it right. Very drinkable, very american, I can have it again and again. (720 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13%

A: A delicate pour yields a massive, fluffy white head that retains its density quite well and leaves thick lacing on its painstakingly slow descent. After a while, cloud formations appear as if the glass had its own weather system. The beer is a see-through ambery-rust color that looks attractive.

S: Lots of citrusy hops in the nose, hints of grapefruit, but with a depth of character that entices the tastebuds. Other than that, not much else is noticeable, but this is definitely enough to get me going.

T: Big, bold, and balanced. Just as it should be. The array of hop flavors, predominantly citrusy, with floral and grassy notes as well, hit the palate toward the middle and finish, but the malty base up front is strong enough to ride out the wave of flavor and provide great balance. Seeing the darker, amber hue, I had hoped this would be the case, and I was not disappointed. Finish and aftertaste are refreshing and fade gently away.

M: Mealy and chewy, sticky, with an enjoyably thick aftertaste of hops that really stands out amongst the Double/Imperial IPA crowd. Still, even with a heavier texture, it glides off the tongue and throat smoothly and doesn't stick around too long or taste too harsh.

D: Incredibly drinkable, especially for a style known for being rather extreme. Balance is the key here, and I'm glad Great Divide picked up on that when they brewed this thing. The description on the label reading "its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile" is as accurate as one can get. Great job on an outstanding beer. (1,581 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13%

What more can you say about Great Divide this co. knows how to make IPA better than your grandmal baking cookies! There titan ipa is the best 6 pk. ipa available in Ga. The first sniff of the nose I was in hop heaven. The color was a brillant amber with a nice thick head that laced the glass the whole way down. and what a powerful display of hops. Some dbl ipa can be to malty trying to balance out the bitter sting. but this beer stings like a bubble bee!
with a mild malt backbone. And the finish last for days. If your a hop head like me this is a must have. (564 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Oh Great Divide, how I wish you were on the east coast where I could easily find you... this DIPA rocked.

Wonderfully hoppy and citrusy with a pineyness to it that made it unique tasting and different. Bubbly. Very, very smooth and creamy. Amazingly crisp and refreshing, and the alcohol content is well-hidden. After a few sips you get a nice warming feeling going on. Warm and fuzzy.

Hopfiends- you will love this brew. I can't say enough about it- delicious, amazing, wonderful. Great DIPA. (499 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle from a 4pk bottled on May 2nd 2011. Poured into weizen glass. (I'm gonna be feeling good after this, just finished my Indiana Krunkles)

A: Transparent copper color with very minimal head, just a little sudsy ring of tan foam around the edges.

S: Strong sweet toffee and a little roasted malt aroma backed by pine and citrus hops. All in all it smells pretty balanced, and rather sweet.

T: Bitter hop flavor up front with a further blast of strong hops and strong sweet candy like malts. It's honestly amazing me how easily this beer goes down for how strong it is, and packed with sooo much malt and hops. I've always been a fan of the hop heavy DIPA's but this one does not disappoint albeit it's balanced qualities.

M/O: Medium-full bodied, light-medium carbonation, sweet and mouth watering. This beer is loaded up so much I feel like I could chew on it and it would ooze juices like an overripe mango. Ah, I am pleasantly surprised by this beer, it is almost nothing like it's sibling "Titan IPA" but equally as high quality for the style. Speaking of style, I'd say this falls close to something like DFH 90, but then defecates all over it, because it's that much better. (Thanks for the birthday 4pack bert!) (1,231 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of sticky lacing all around after each sip.

Scent is very nice with a piney, grassy hop aroma and just a hint of sweet, bready malts.

Taste is outstanding a very well balanced beer. Sweet biscuity malts for just a second then the piney, citrus hops takes over in force, but the sweetness still mingles there along side. It finishes with a dry grapefruit that stays with me for a bit. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and creamy. This beer has just the right amount of carbination to compliment the flavor.

I give this beer a high mark for drinkability. I would come back to this again and again. This goes down easy, almost too easy. The abv is well hidden, and I could easily over indulge with this one.

Great Divide has yet to disapoint. I am impressed with all of their offerings. I need to try the Yeti on my next visit to the store. I would highly recomend this beer to all "hopheads". (977 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

I LOVE this. Bricks of beautiful herb in the aroma and flavor. It brings back memories of the ganja trade. Drizzle that bric-a-funk with malt syrup, and put it under a bell jar on a hot tin roof -- suck the condensation!!! This is like taking something as fresh as a crate of Hawaiian pineapples, 6 Mexican limes; puree and let sit in a china cap on a warm shelf for a coupla days. Watch it drip-drip into your cup. Spicee!! (424 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Hop bomb exploded in my house tonight. 22 ounce bomber poured a bright orange copper. Nice two finger head. Citrusy hop nose offing magic aromas. Super bitter. A hophead's dream. I'm glad I have been working out my palate this past year. Otherwise this would be too much. The piney hops really come through in the aftertaste. Nice lacing. I wanted this to be the best beer I have had in the past year. I may still have to defer to Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale. Double IPA's are enjoyable but may still be way too much. Who am I kidding, this is amazing!!! Bomber really settles in nicely on the palate after about a half a pint. The hops really hide the high ABV%. Great way to start the New Year. (697 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a very nice copper color with some good head and decent lacing. It has a great scent, very hoppy with citrus and floral overtones. Absolutely great American IPA flavor, a great hop combo, a great bitter, hoppy taste, without being too much, with nice citrus undertones. A very smooth beer for being so high ABV. Nice job. (327 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome head retention! A very will-built brew. Solid orange/red color with fantastic clarity. Head is tan and densely foamy. Great lacing too.

Apricots, dark red apples, woody, pine, resinous.

Holy bitterness, yet well done. Smooth and delicious bitterness that well rounded and has great lasting flavor. Lots of depth and consistently changing and melding flavors. Very light and easy drinking for a thick hearty dense IPA. Lots of great pine flavors without being a hop bomb. If anything is bad about the flavor, it's that it's just a bit too sugary...but, not overly so.

Very well thought out and nicely executed DIPA. Highly recommended!!! A must try for sure. Great work GDBC, keep em' coming! (704 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Copper colour with quite of bit of a head. It appears to be mildly carbonated like most American IPAs.

S: Malty aroma, that smells of pine with a slight hint of fruits.

T: What a complex beer. This is my first double IPA, and it starts off with a lot of malts. It doesn't quite make sense, with a double IPA, but it works really well. After the piney/malty flavour the hops rush onto your tongue. The hop flavour in this beer is simply addicting.

M: There is a bit of a bite with the carbonation, but after that it has a thick smooth feel in the mouth.

D: I'm not sure how many I could drink of these, simply because I'd get a bit drunk with the high alcohol content. Beautifully hoppy.

I'm going to have to search for more Double IPAs, this is might become one of my favourite styles.

Serving Type: Bottle in an English pint glass. (841 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: a clean golden color with a very thin head. Looks exactly like what an IPA should look like.

Smell: Hops come out right away. Not in a pungent way, clearly brewed in a very refined way such that the hops come at you in a very crisp way.

Taste: Fantastic. You can taste the hops in a very nice and integrated way. Unlike a beer like the New Belgium Ranger where the hops almost feel separate from the remainder of the beer, this one has a heavy bitter flavor but is smooth in the delivery. The malt flavor seemed to be more powerful the more I drank it but there is a good malty flavor. As well, slight burnt smell that adds to the flavor. Very good DIPA

Mouthfeel: good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, very refreshing.

Overall: To copy Jason, the flavor is fantastic and the alcohol comes at you from nowhere - doesn't taste like too much alcohol but you'll notice it soon. This is a great beer, one of the best ones I've ever had. (948 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Pours a rich amber color with a half inch off-white head.

S- I pick up some sweet malts, but it's mostly pines and citrusy hops. You can tell that this DIPA is going to have a powerful hops flavor.

T- Wow is this a tasty beer. I was surprised by how balanced it was after I picked up mostly hops from the smell. I detect hints of caramel and toffee at first. The malts work hard to show their face, but the hops, cascade I believe, win over with pines and citruses. The bottle says it has 85 IBU's. This is an aggressive beer.

M- It's very smooth and creamy.

D- I drank the bomber and wished I had more. The strong balanced taste makes it so easy to drink. Just beware of the strong alcohol. (698 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a two week old 22 oz bomber.
Clear orange-copper colored DIPA with a thin film of a head that stays throughout the course of the drink. Very good carbonation.
Aroma is a very nice blend of floral hops with citrus, pine and hints of sweetness.
Taste is bold. A hint of sweetness upfront before the hops absolutely assault the palate. Just what I was looking for in a DIPA. The lingering bitterness from the hops is perfect.
Nice oily, chewy mouthfeel with very good lacing.
All in all one of the best DIPA's I have had.
Drinkability is very good considering the 10% alcohol.
This is a must-try for every hop head. Definitely worth trying. (654 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a medium-dark amber with a nice head. Smell is citrusy with a lot of pine coming through. The taste is very hoppy. Definitely a DIPA, though not the most overwhelming I've had. Piney hops make themselves known immediately and stay in the mouth after the beer is gone. A citrus taste is there as well. The beer is bitter, but balanced. A nice, slightly creamy malt taste balances this ale perfectly. The mouthfeel completes the balance of the ale. The hops, malt, and carbonation are almost perfect. I drink a fair bit of great divide and I would offer one word of caution; I have had a few bottles of this and the barleywine that were subdued and off balance. These beers seem to past their prime quicker than many. Again, I'm just speculating about that. But when you get one that doesn't suffer from that affliction, great divide is spot on. (849 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours deep red-copper with a thick, crisp white head. Sheets of lacing. Very nice.

Aroma is caramel malt base with hints of brown sugar. However, it is the piney and citrus hops that really take center stage. Complex and interesting. A touch of earthy nuttiness.

Taste is similiar to the nose, but the massive, grainy caramel malt has more of a presence. Surprisingly nutty, while retaining the resinous piney, citrus hop character. This is a DIPA that shows restraint and offers a rich flavorful experience. Flavor is big but balanced. Finish is dry with lingering hop spice and mild alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. very creamy and smooth.

This is a winner! Unlike some DIPA's that seem to try to be as bitter as possible, this one offers a range and complexity of flavor that supersedes any other DIPA I can think of. I'm honestly surprised at how good this is. (870 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

A fine example of a style of beer that I absolutely love. This Hop juice filled concoction was a great treat for me this summer. Pours an orangish copper hue with resinous piney araoma taste and pinecone pineapple burps. I love this stuff, not overly alcoholic not one dimensional. One heck of a solid beer that i am sure to revisit on a regular basis. (352 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Dark amber. Head stays for a long time. Thick Head!

S: Citrusy smell(if that makes sense) Sorta fruity.

T: Citrus Grapefruit Bitterness. Hops linger for a while.

F: Mouthfeel is pretty thick. Almost syrupy. It works well with the flavor! (244 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Was able to smell this beer right away when I opened it, and in a good way. Even from a distance the hop scents are abundant. Lots of citric oily ho scents and some dark fruits. Some pines scent's sting the back of the nostrils.

Raisins and other dark fruits up front. Some slightly spices hops in the middle. Not too much lingers other than some fruit taste and a slight alcohol presence.

All I can say is wow! I feel like this is how dipa's should taste. I thought 90 minute was fantastic but this somehow goes far beyond it. Super balanced, thick yet smooth, decent carbonation, and lots of hop presence. I love it! A very dangerous brew (642 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Served on-tap at The Public House Brookline.

Deep coppery coloration and lots of fine carbonation crawling up the sides of the glass. Thick, dense off-white head that was present throughout, start to finish.
Nose just reeked of hops aromas; big-time pine sap and needles, grapefruit and tangerine rinds. Malt base is evident thanks to the light caramel and faintly earthy notes.
Taste had a solid sweetly malty platform that stood up well to the incoming onslaught of citrus and pine flavors. Hercules seems to pack in just about every kind of flavor there is in terms of describing hops. Sappy, resinous spruce, a torrent of juicy grapefruit pith; you name it, it's there. Let's not forget the alcohol, just barely registering against the 600lb gorilla hops load. It's there, just behind the veil.
Well-carbonated, Hercules has a full, lush and velvety feel.
Even wieghing in at 9.1%ABV, Hercules is dangerously drinkable, to the point where coordination may be compromised. Hercules is a stand-out double IPA. One of the best there is and worth seeking out. (1,066 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Partly clear orange-copper. The pleasant aromas of pine, citrus, alcohol, and MJ tantalize the nostrils. On the palate, Hercules offers big-time bitterness with resinous and full hops flavors, plus enough malt and alcohol to support, but not supplant, the hop presence. This one's a little better-integrated than some DIPAs that are just "going through the motions," if you will. Here's a round, smooth, bitter, flavorful, and satisfying DIPA if ever there was one. Drinks as easily as any other DIPA I've encountered, and then some.

Bravo Great Divide. (557 characters)

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company