Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,839 | Reviews: 1,556
3.47/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bomber poured into chalice. Bottle varies from picture and is noted to have 9.1% alcohol, not 10%.

Fresh deep "brown bottle" color. Leaves a unique very full mineral lacing down the glass. A lot of yeastie boogers are not welcome... much more than your average production quality beer.

Has a crisp deep fruit hop profile with rich caramel malts.

Deepest caramel flavor i've encountered for a DIPA. Hops are actually in the foreground. Kind of reminds me of a rough Arrogant Bastard.

Very good mouthfeel with good carb.

Moderate to high drinkability.

I think that maybe this 9.1% batch may be inferior or watered down compared to the normal 10....

3.47/5  rDev -15.8%

355 ml bottle @ Volo. Copper colored beer with an off-white to pale yellow head. Aroma is heavy, sappy pine hops. Taste is very much the same caramel with tons of pine bitterness. The label calls it hefty, and it is. Mouthfeel is almost gritty it's so bitter and it has almost no carbonation feel

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think I may have a had a bad bottle of this one.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

Beer poured an extremely hazy orange with lots and lots of floating sediment. Reading other reviews, I can't help but think this was extremely abnormal. Very thin head with no lacing.

The beer smelled like a muted version of what a good DIPA should smell like. There were hints of piney, resinous hops but the overall aroma was fairly weak.

The taste was very hoppy...piney with some citrus notes. Again, though it felt like something was missing. There just wasn't enough flavor in this one. Makes me think the bottle was off since Great Divide packs the flavor into their brews.

Mouthfeel was slightly resinous and sticky. The sediment really detracted from the overall mouthfeel as did a noticeable lack of carbonation.

Overall, this was certainly disappointing. I'm eager to try this one again given I'm not certain that this bottle was representative of the beer.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Off tap into a tulip glass. One finger of head on a dark copper body.
It has a strong smell of orange and lemon, which it nice.
The taste is solid bitterness and a little sour orange. Bold and in your face.
The mouthfeel is normal moderate carbonation and medium body.
Overall a nice drink and I liked the orange scent and flavor that came through.

Thanks ColoradoBobs!

This beer reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree, or, to a lesser extent, Ruination -- it has a lot of hops, but it also has a lot of alcohol hotness.

The beer looks wonderful, a nice creamy heady and a delicious brown body, The head collapses all too quickly, but a faint ring remains.

The smell is resinous hops and alcohol heat. The taste is essentially the same. The alcohol hotness fades as I drink (no surprise! This is hoppy enough to cause major tastebud fatigue).

A very good DIPA, but IMHO, it is a touch too dry. The heat makes an interesting (and quickly becoming traditional) partner to the hops, but I dunno.

A solid, good beer. Essentially everything their Titan IPA offers, just more, more more. Less gymsock then their Titan as well.

A good representation of the style.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle bears a "bottled-on" date of April 11, 2011.

Hercules has a strong, resinous aroma, with healthy doses of yeast, alcohol, and malt, with hints of pine.

Intense in flavor, with alcohol, resin, yeast, malt and pine combining for a wallop of hop. The bitterness is cut by the malt, but is still quite prevalent with a dry finish.

Medium bodied, the resin from the hops gives this a sticky, almost tacky feel.

This was one of the first DIPA's I had when I began my craft beer quest, and was a favorite at that time. While exposure to other breweries has widened my interests beyond simple hop monsters, I will always have a soft spot for this brew. Still, in my opinion there are many better DIPA offerings out there that you should consider before buying a four-pack of this ale.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Hercules has a very hazy, orange-brown body with a thin tan head. The retention is great, and some pretty nice lacing is left behind as well.

The aroma is sweet and powerful. Lots of malt, lots of citrus from the hops.

The best way to describe Hercules is Big. It has a ton of everything. The hop profile is huge, with loads of citrus. The focus is on grapefruit, and there are loads of bitterness. The malt profile is at least as big as the hop profile. Hercules is really sweet, with lots of caramel flavors, as well as sweet bread. The finish has some more bitterness, and a good kick of warmth.

The mouthfeel is creamy and full, with a slightly oily feel from the hops. The bitterness is palpable.

Hercules has a huge hop profile, which is nice, but it is insanely sweet and a little bit boozy.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz, bottled on Jan 10.

A: Hazy copper body, with nice head that sticks around a while. Not much for lacing.

S: Malt dominates the nose. Sweet rolls, very similar to their Titan. Alcohol. Hardly any hop aroma, which is troubling.

T: Hop flavors are subdued. I've had this on tap at their brewery and I remember it being better. A double IPA less than 2 months old shouldn't have a hop profile so diminished.

M: Could maybe use a little more carbonation, but otherwise it's fine.

O: Great Divide's IPAs just don't age well at all. I think from now on, I'll only buy bottles I can find that were bottled less than a month ago.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

On tap at the Collins pub.

A pours a deep copper with a nice white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S some resin, a hint of pine, and some sweet malt.

T some resin and pine up front which is balanced out with a lot of caramel malt.

M very thick almost syrupy.

Overall this is a pretty good but not great dipa. However it OS enjoyable to drink and I would consider getting this again.

3.49/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottled Sept 30 2010.. Enjoying Feb 13 2011...

A - This beer has a beautiful way of making the bubbles fill the glass. I'm using a standard unetched pint glass and bubbles are just slowly kinda drifting to the top not necessarily racing indicating a nice body. Head is DIPA ish. Not much oomph initially but has lasting power. Very pretty amber color.

S - Not really that much going on in the aroma besides some piney/floral smells its clearly all hops. There is a slight metallic smell thats hard to put my finger on.. Maybe it will come through on the taste.

T - Very bitter. Maybe my palate is not quite ready for this beer. The metallic (for lack of a better descriptive word) smell was just the alcohol which is pretty evident in this offering. I feel like I'm not actually getting much flavor. It seems like its all bitterness and alcohol. I know some people are into just that combination but it seems just a little imbalanced to me. Tastes like pinecones.

M - Excellent body and carbonation. Exactly how a DIPA should feel in your mouth.

D - Ehh... idk.. this is a tough call for me. I don't want to call out a beer that may not be the freshest of its kind... but I was not too impressed by this offering. I would certainly try it again given the opportunity... but I won't be seeking out Hercules IPA as my DIPA of choice.

3.49/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Rich thick head and tight lacing. Caramel colored with strong floral and citrus aroma. Very malty in my opinion for a double IPA. It was like a Scotch Ale mixed with an IPA. I would prefer a little less of the malt flavor but overall it was pretty well balanced. 1 more bottle in the fridge so I'll give it another shot and update if necessary.

A - Amber-orange color - 1-inch head

S - Citrus, hops, little bit of alcohol

T - Bitter, orange, alcohol, not too complex, not too syrupy like some double IPAs

M - soft, good, medium bodied

D - easy and nice drinking except for a little alcohol burn

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Fresh 2010 bottle, bomber into Celebration pint glass.

Pours redder than I expected. A slightly off-white cap sits on top with great retention and extremely sticky lacing.

The nose starts out with a earthy bitterness, very resiny. A light sweet malt backbone comes out on a good swirl.

The taste starts out with a dry astringency, followed shortly by a very dry resiny hop bitterness. Intense sweet malts come out next, followed by an ethanol burn I haven't experienced in some time. This tastes like fresh Bigfoot, with more malts and more alcohol, but worse.

Mouthfeel is heavy, with a smooth feel and lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is ok, nothing special.

Overall, I'm kind of disappointed with this one. I was expecting something floral and citrus like from a fresh IPA, but I definitely didn't get it. Either the store I got this at lied about it being a "fresh 2010" bottle or this just isn's as good as I thought it would be.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no dating into my Troeg's pint. Comes out a semi-hazy amber with a minimal head and some lacing.

Smell is dominant with piney hops and a whiff of grass and malt, but primarily and overwelmingly hops.

Taste follows smell, hops and more hops with enough malt backbone to support this hopbomb.
Alcohol is present but well disguised

Mouthfeel is good, velvety and smooth.

Drinkability is limited at this ABV but one was very enjoyable. A durable and drinkable DIPA.

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2011)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

A deep orange and auburn with a 2.5 finger bone-white head that stays and stays. Tons of lacing left down the glass.

Somewhat sweet aroma dominated by caramel and toffee, as well as some alcohol, and some muted aromas of old orange flesh and peel.

Extremely bitter, along with some alcohol harshness, coupled with sweet flavors: caramel, toffee, and bread crusts overshadow most of the pungent citrus hop presence.

Medium to thick bodied.

Not one of my favorites DIPAs. It's too sweet and boozy for my personal tastes.

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%

Deep orange color with a thick foamy head with tons of lacing. The brew is more opaque than clear.

Smells of citrus and pine hops and biscuit-like malt. All the flavors that go along with those aromas plus a spicy alcohol kick and a semi-bitter finish. The mouth feel is meaty and carbonated.

A nice DIPA that any self-respecting hop head should try. The highlights are its fantastic looks and excellent mouth feel. There are other DIPAs that I prefer for taste, but Hercules is hard to beat for an all around brew.

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%

Dennis: The aroma off this is misleading, almost barley wine like, certainly not dry hopped. But that doesn't really reflect the true body. Pouring thick, almost like apricot nectar, this delivers with a high bitterness that hides the 9% alcohol very well. By the end of the glass though, it will sneak up on you. Very well done, enjoyable and hoppy in substance, but not show. The only real issue I have with this is the amount of sediment in the bottle was excessive.
Jen: This is a bitter, hoppy beer with a mild malt backbone, only to end with a smack of hops in your face! I don't really taste the alcohol, translation: goes down fairly smoothly. It has a dry finish with a nice light carbonation. Definitely drinkable!

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a bottle dated 2/7/12, admittedly a tad older than ideal.

A: Quite a bit of yeast floating around the bottom of the bottle - pour this one very softly. Pours a beautiful hazy orange-copper. Unfortunately, no head or lacing whatsoever, and yes, my glass was clean.

S: A well balanced citrus/grapefruit with a caramel/biscuit malt profile. Well balanced. Some yeast throughout. Wish this had more of a head so I could describe it more accurately.

T: Yummy. Starts with gobs of citrus, clear grapefruit and lemon zest. Not a heck of a lot else going on here. A nice round malt finish, but very weak and hardly noticeable. Yeasty, non-bitter finish. Citrus lingers.

M: Crisp, albeit a tad watery. Resinous. I don't say this much, but this could use a tad more carbonation.

O: This is disappointing - I'm a huge fan of GD and was really looking forward to trying their DIPA. I'll have to try a fresh batch to see if it lives up to the hype.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle is marked as being bottled in April of 2007.

Pours a clear dark orange hued and semi viscous liquid. With a tight white frothy and bubbly head. The smell is very sweet, the hoppiness that comes out is some orange citrus and sweet flower. The taste packs a large up front and lingering bitterness. A quite resiny hoppiness is comes out during the sip while a bit of floral hops comes through in the aftertaste. Alcohol is slightly present.

Mouthfeel- Medium. Tastes pretty similar to a lot of other DIPA's that I can remember.... Ballast Point Dorado, Avery Maharaja (kind of), Alpine Exponential Hoppiness.... all these are syrupy sweet DIPA's but the Hercules packs a little more bitterness to it. Not my favorite type of DIPA. Based on style I cannot rate this too low. Based on what I prefer in a DIPA I have to grade it a little lower.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

a: rich red/amber with a quarter inch head, good retention and nicely sticky.

s: smells of hints of floral, though I am getting a lot of malt in here and a bit of a turn off as I wasn't expecting nor was I in the mood for it.

t: more of a combination IPA and Red if you ask me. I get a tremendous amount of nutty toffee and the thick syrup taste...considerably more than any hops I taste. I am not a fan of reds and this reminds of a red with it's strong malt profile.

m: nice feel in the mouth, coats the palette and finished dry enough for me to be satisfied. good fizz to it too.

o: won't actively search this out again, again the malt was too strong for the style and not something I was in the mood for.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

pours a beautiful burnished copper tone; a moderately vigorous pour yields 1" creamy/foamy light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly... some lacing but below average for the style. nose is surprisingly malty, even for a DIPA with a malt backbone; there is a citric/pine presence but it's almost relegated to second fiddle; definitely not an aromatic hop monster.

flavor profile follows suit, to the point it's reminiscent of a barleywine and i'm questioning the freshness (can't find a bottled date even though my understanding is there should be one; was told at the store it's fresh.) don't get me wrong, it's drinkable and reasonably tasty, just nowhere near a top flight double IPA (at least by my own personal standards). medium-full mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall i have to say i feel hercules was a bit of a letdown. the thing is, i remember having it a year or two ago on tap and REALLY enjoying it; our renewing of acquaintances hasn't gone so well, unfortunately. don't get me wrong, i'll happily drink this any day; it's just that i could easily rattle off a couple dozen DIPAs that i'd prefer. will have to get my hands on some where i can guarantee freshness and have another go-round.

originally reviewed: 04-10-2011

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Amber body with a decent-sized head. Smell is of citrusy hops struggling against the nutty malt. Same with the taste. The malt is just a bit too prominent, and I don't think the nuttiness goes all that well with the hops. Honestly, this struck me as a poor man's 90 Minute. Not the worst DIPA I've ever had, but not even close to the best.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber bottle served in snifter.

Pours an overcast orange with a meaty head that dwindles to an off-white swirl of melted ice milk. The glass is held together by pretty white lace that clings in all the right places.

Aroma is dirty C-hops rich with malt. You've definitely got your grapefruit citrus in the house, but the piney hops are more cone than needles.

Lots of slick acidic Lupulin. More malt presence than most American DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is cream-filled. Full and feathery soft fades to a slow acidic Humulene chemical burn.

This brew takes an interesting approach to the DIPA style shooting for a very active nutty maltiness in the forefront to bring equilibrium to the loaded hops. The result however I think emphasizes the somewhat unpleasant oil-like burn brought by DIPA level hop rate. By choosing to not showcase the hop aroma and flavor as prominently as others this beer has taken away from itself an important component that makes heavy-hitting IPAs so enjoyable.

Overall an above average Double IPA, but not my favorite.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours out a typical slightly hazed orange-amber color with two fingers of soft fluffy off-white head that lasts for about three minutes, leaving medium amounts of lacing behind on the glass. Medium body and carbonation levels.

Smells and tastes of caramel, toffee, pine resin, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon peel, light amounts of herbal tea, and a touch of earthy dryness in the finish. Honestly, I was somewhat pumped up by the hype around this one before trying it, and I feel somewhat disappointed as a result. I still fail to see what all the fuss is about. It's just yet another typical well-made IPA in a market already over-saturated with the style with nothing in particular that makes it stand out above the rest.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Piling such a monster thick head would be a crime if not for the fact that it complements the devilish amber color of the beer so well - you could literally spoon it off the top if you'd like.

Freakishly heavily hopped, it actually goes down pretty easily, as the burn of the hops doesn't set in until long after the drink is gone.

Once it does, it rolls from the tip of the tongue to the back adn then to the front like a slow wave.

Because it is so heavily hopped though, it is difficult to discern any other flavors, just smmothe and hot hops.

The 9.1% abv begins to settle in after a bit - drinkable, but not great.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company