Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
womencantsail

3.1/5  rDev -24.9%

On-tap at Eureka!Burger Claremont

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a creamy off-white head.

S: Definitely on the sweet side for an IPA with lots of caramel and toffee aromas. There's a mild citrus hop aroma along with a fair amount of pineapple. Some other sweet fruits also make an appearance.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor is also quite sweet. Plenty of brown sugar, caramel, and toffee are prsent. There is a fairly mild hop character and very little bitterness. Minimal citrus and fruit flavors wth a bit of grass and alcohol.

M: The body is medium to full with medium carbonation.

O: Overly sweet and not all that hoppy. That's not a combination I look for in an IPA.

07-05-2011 15:02:06 | More by womencantsail
taylor714914

3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Perhaps unfair, I tried this after having Evil Twin’s Molotov Cocktail.  Unremarkable at the time, it seemed as though it wasn’t malty or hoppy enough to be a DIPA.  I judge all my DIPAs against Heady, and this seemed thin and lacking flavor.  I’ll have to revisit it on a fresh palate to give it another whirl and see if my initial impressions were correct, but for now, there are many other DIPAs I’ll reach for (hello Dirtwolf!)

12-20-2013 13:56:27 | More by taylor714914
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

I played 18 holes of golf today, so I wanted to celebrate. Nothing beats celebrating with a BIG bottle of beer with a TON of booze. This beer is 10% ABV, and is just loaded with flavor. I have had it before, but it was a LONG time ago. Why am I using so many CAPITAL letters tonight? Who cares. I am ready to drink.

In the Glass: This is a healthy looking IPA. It is rich in copper color and produces a very thick head. The head is white, and sits on top for a LONG time. There I go again with the capital letters. I will stop. No more. Anyway, this looks like a good strong IPA. A double IPA perhaps! (It is fair for me to put IPA in all caps… that is the point!)

Nose: For a beer that has this much booze and is loaded with that many IBUs, I expected a more overwhelming nose. But it is weak. Their Titan IPA smells a lot better. But I am hoping the aroma starts to come out when this beer heats up. We pulled this from the fridge, so it is ice cold.

Flavor: The flavor is also not what I expected. As the tasting notes say, it is very well balanced. The flavor is never overwhelming and slides from the front of the palate and into the aftertaste without much focus on hops. I am surprised that this beer is just exploding with flavor… but maybe that is the point. They focused more on the overall enjoyment rather than making this a “knock your socks off” kind of beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is quite boring. There is a subtle hint of hops on the back of the palate, but is is quick and isn’t obvious. You can smell as you drink to get more of the citrus notes that you expect… but the flavor is just polished (it makes sense when you drink it) from the start to the finish. This is like a domestic for a fan of IPAs.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste. It is smooth all the way through, and the aftertaste is pretty boring. Now, having said all that… the beer is good. It is solid. It is… you got it, polished. It doesn’t have to be a big punch of hops that knocks me over. I wanted that, but the beer is good. The booze isn’t obvious either.

I like Great Divide, and while I had higher exceptions, this one is still a good IPA from a great portfolio of beers.

Hercules Double IPA - The bottle says: “HERCULES DOUBLE IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for gods. HERCULES delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish. Its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile. 85 IBUs.”

05-18-2012 03:19:17 | More by rickyleepotts
Cobrito

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

I can see why many like this beer--it's very flavorful and it wakes up your mouth, which seems to be a strength of Great Divide brews in general. But it is way too sweet for an IPA--or dipa in this case. It's like a saccharine, syrupy European fall-winter beer, with a touch of a hop bite. Bottle copy says Hercules "is not for the faint of heart...delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish." Um, no. It's sweet as candy and the supposed 85 IBUs are totally masked. Appearance also not good in my six-month-old bottle--many floaties.

10-08-2012 01:29:31 | More by Cobrito
westweasel

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Appearance - The beer is very cloudy, with a dirty copper and apricot hue.

Aroma - I was expecting a stronger hop nose with this beer. I could detect a bit of an orange scent, but was also picking up a strong alcohol smell. In the background there was a fresh-baked bread smell.

Taste - There is a definite strong bitterness which is of course part of this style. However I found it to be somewhat unpleasant compared to other double IPAs. I could not detect any pine or citrus. I got more of a strong grassy bitter flavor. There is also a bready, biscuit taste mixed in, and I thought I might have even detected some caramel - but it was quickly overpowered by the bitterness.

The mouthfeel is full with a dry finish. I did not find this beer that drinkable. It was ok, but I found the bitterness in this one harsh. This is my favorite style of beer and I was really looking forward to this tasting. I was a bit disappointed by the result.

02-05-2007 23:30:52 | More by westweasel
simplexiton

Maryland

Had this on-tap at Bierra Paradiso in Georgetown DC

While this was a really well crafted beer it was really just too much for my tastes. I can certainly appreciate it for what it was and Great Divide did a great job in the formulation of the recipe but I am not yet accustomed to the DIPAs.

Appearance: Dark copper, brass colored. Some chill haze, small but stable fine-bubbled lacing head. Very attractive.

Aroma: wow, thats a lot of hops. The smelled so fresh and pungent, it was really strong. Perfumy, piny, citrusy turning grassy. Lurking somewhere behind all of that greenery was considerable malt caramel sweetness. Almost made me shudder.

Flavor: If I thought that the aroma was strong, the taste of this was considerably stronger than the smell let on. The dominant and lingering taste was like that of eating hop pellets (homebrewers should know what I am talking about). Super strong alcohol and super syrupy malt.

Mouthfeel: thick and syrupy but balanced well by the moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Definitely low

Comments: definitely worth a try if you like DIPAs or are curious about this new substyle. If I were into DIPAs I would probably love this beer but its well worth a try.

08-15-2008 04:05:38 | More by simplexiton
buschbeer

3.18/5  rDev -23%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of light tan head that clung to the side of the glass. It is copper in color. The malts come through more than the hops when I smelled it. The taste is weak up front but follows with some pine hops flavor. I think I got hold of an old bottle.

Cheers!

10-17-2009 20:23:26 | More by buschbeer
litheum94

3.18/5  rDev -23%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled on 9/30/10. Reviewed 5/3/11. Picked up at the Bruery Provisions.

Orange-brown body with a bubbly, small, light tan head. Settles out to a patchy cover. Tons of sediment is suspended in the body.

Loads of tropical fruit aromas; mango and papaya. Some grapefruit hops. Sweet Carmel malts, with a little nuttiness. Candy like sweetness. Overall, the aroma profile leans toward the sweet side.

Sweet, tropical fruit leads the way in the mouth. Malt middle, nutty and full. Some carmel tones. Finish is piney and bitter, with a residual sweetness.

This might have been past it's prime, as I wasn't too impressed. The sediment makes me think this was too old.

05-24-2011 20:28:57 | More by litheum94
cpn920

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours an amber color with a short lived head that dissipates to a thin layer. Yeasty particles suspended throughout. Get big caramel malt aroma and floral hops. Taste was not what I have grown accustomed to in Double IPA's. For me it was overly malty with the hops giving a bitter finish. Medium body with adequate carbonation. I wouldn't go back to this one when there are others that I enjoy so much more. Unearthly, Double Simcoe, 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Gordon are all much better IMO.

02-06-2009 12:47:44 | More by cpn920
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.2/5  rDev -22.5%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.
Dated Nov. 9.2011

A - Pours a dark reddish-orange and clear. A two finger head that is a yellowish-tan. Good Retention.

S - Pine, Oranges, sweet carmel malts.

T - Sweet malts, then some citrus comes around. Finishes with a hop-grass flavor.

D - Good carbonation, sticky and sweet.

O - Sweet and malty. Lacking a hop kick.

11-29-2011 19:16:39 | More by HuskyinPDX
phiberoptik

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottled April 11, 2011. Im afraid I got the short end of the stick on this one. Did not realize until after I bought it that it was a bit old. I reserve the right to update this review once I get a fresh bottle.

Pours a rich, slightly hazy amber color with a bit of frothy cream white head. The head is gone in seconds but leaves a bubbly ring around the edges.

Smells of caramel maltiness with a hint of yeast up front. Missing the hops I expected but I get some faint remnants of some grapefruit.

All malt in this. Well, there is some nice hoppy bitterness in the front, then distinctive caramel notes in the middle with a warm finish.

Medium to full bodied with slightly above average carbonation.

Overall I am disappointed... with the fact that this bottle is almost 5 months old. I bet this is a much better beer when fresher. My ratings are slightly inflated because its not GD's fault I got an old one but I also wanted to rate it for what it is; a 5 month old sample.

09-05-2011 01:57:59 | More by phiberoptik
KarlHungus

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

This brew pours a cloudy orange-red color with a creamy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is of fruit, and pine. The taste is hoppy, and piny. The mouthfeel is quite nice. Its very smooth. Overall, this brew is an extreme let down. Way too piny for my likings.

09-10-2005 01:02:38 | More by KarlHungus

07-07-2013 23:02:26 | More by Anonymous1
velosuds

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on September 14, 2009. Single purchased for $2.99.

A-Poured a golden amber hue with a one and one half finger head with modest retention and lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Aroma is predominantly caramel and other sugary notes. Hops are faint and in the background. What's there is resinous and piney.

T-Taste improved as it warmed, but tasted more like a barleywine than a DIPA. When cold, the taste was awful. IMO, the best DIPAs drink well cold and as they warm, and they don't loose their style characteristics. Too malty for a DIPA

M-Very smooth and well balanced.

D-This went down easy enough, but I would not readily reach for another. Taste improves as it warms. 10% ABV was masked very well.

I didn't like this beer. I wanted to. Great Divide has been inconsistent for me. Many of the best reviews are many years old, so I wonder if this beer has declined. I bought this from a highly reputable beer store in Portland and it was bottled six weeks ago, so I don't think it was skunked, but it was disappointing.

10-31-2009 04:44:01 | More by velosuds

jwarcd

03-15-2014 23:57:28 | More by jwarcd
TheBrewo

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

We pour a golden-red, sunset orange colored brew. It holds a two finger head of tan foam that is quite billowy and shows nice retention. This recedes and leaves a sticky lacing about the glass, with big bubbles to cover the surface of the liquid. Haze is minimal and carbonation appears near nonexistent. The aroma is a rich caramel malts and light molasses. Hops are equally as present, with stickiness, oil, grass, and a big helping of citrus. Thick cherries, medicinal phenols, and clove spice add a little complexity to the top. Booze appears more with warmth and stings the nostrils. As we sip, we begin with that booze, which sours and puckers. The grain is thick and steely, with darkness of the chocolate variety apparent near the peak, which showcases more toasted and caramel malts, with an even balance of soapy hops. We conclude with more soapy hops and a sting of booze. The hops are also a bit citric, with a final revival of sweetened and cooked caramel malts. The aftertaste breathes of booze and copper, with a bit of grassy hop bitterness. The yeast finally comes in, with an additional metallic flavor and final bittering inclusion. The body is medium to thick, and the carbonation is medium. There is a thin creaminess, but this is nice, with good froth and a sticky smack to the lips. At the outset this is super drying, with a coiny metallic coat around the entire mouth. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks moderately well.

Overall, what we found to be most enjoyable about this brew was the rich color and ample head. The lacing and stickiness were quite attractive, making it easy to sink your teeth into this one. Where we lost points was in the taste, which gave a great deal of attention to the malts and general bitterness, while underplaying the hops to the point of them being seriously missed.

10-28-2011 03:59:40 | More by TheBrewo