Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,544 | Hads: 3,947
4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

A great DIPA. Tastes like Celebration Ale on steroids. Highly recommended for hop-heads. Pours a hazy orange with an average size head. The head fades down to a covering of the glass. Leaves a nice amount of lacing. Excellent aroma. You know you have a great hoppy experience waiting for you on first sniff. Really great taste. Hops bitterness and citrus (grapefruit predominant). As I sipped the beer (drank all marvelous 22 oz myself) I noticed some maltiness in the finish. Wouldn't call this balanced in any shape or form, but I can detect the malt as the beer warms up. Mouthfeel is rich and luxurious. Coats the tongue and palate with resiny goodness. I wouldn't want to rate another beer after this one. Drinkability is good for a 9.1 abv beer. 22 oz is enough, but I enjoyed the last oz as much as the first. A really impressive beer.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours out a a deep amber/golden color, looks ruby and orangish. Fluffy and foamy light tan head that rests on top for a good good while. Lots of lacing.

Smell is very nice. A light citrusy and very hoppy. Very clean smell. I think the aroma is very deceiving to whats ahead.

Taste is very good. Very hoppy (bottle says 85 ibus). Very potent on the hops, but to me not very heavy on the hoppiness, tastes like a whole shitload of a lighter hops used in it. Some raison flavors do come out in place of any other sort of fruit that could have been tasted in this style. very good malty undertone that gives this beer great balance. Earthy aftertaste. alcohol is present in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is great. Great balance with the hops and malts. Good carbonation, tingly on my palate.

Overall this is one hell of a beer! Love it. Wish i had another i could cellar and have it tame a little, just a little. Very good. I wish i would have reviewed this a little better.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

A somewhat hazy orange to amber color. Clears quite nicely after sitting in the glass. Very nice, puffy white head with some really nice lacing going on. A few floaters from bottle conditioning Im assuming. Big floral aroma. Somewhat grassy and citrus like. You really get the "oiliness" of the hops. Huge hop flavor upfront-very sharp on the tongue. Slight grapefruit flavor. Great body-nicely balanced between hop bitterness and abv. An excellent beer-very drinkable. I could see this being a regular in my fridge.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Asked the bartender for something hoppy and he suggested this. lad I took his advice:

Appearance: Dark copper

Smell: Floral with definite fruitiness. Citrus.

Taste: Hops. Hops. and then the aformentioned fruit. Deep and complex, with citrus being the predominant flavor but far from overpowering.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, not in any way harsh. Aftertaste was minimal.

Drinkability: Can handle one, 2 might be a bit much and probably no more than that. Still, I found it quite drinkable when you consider the ABV.

Overall: I really loved this beer, which seemed to get better with every sip. Will definitely have to enjoy this some more in the future.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I by no means consider myself an IPA man. This makes me very picky when it comes to Pale Ales so I may not be the best representative when it comes to this style. However, IPA or not I was very impressed with this brew. It seemed unique, well balanced and delicious.

I highly recommend this beer not just for IPA lovers but for people that do enjoy hops but not to the Nth or bitter degree.

Will buy some more if I can find it. Unfortunately ID is not the easiest state to get certain micro brews. This beer was purchased in the Seattle area. (If I can find some more, I will sit down and update this review with more specifics).

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours out a hazy golden orange and sits a foggy amber brown in the glass with a small off-white head. Nice lacings leaving specklings of head all around the glass.

Aroma consits of a well balanced array of malts and hops. Malts present a caramel like sweetness and a nutty and toasty character. Hops display a good amount of citrus fruit, oranges, tangerines, and lemon, while maintaining a nice floral build.

Tastes sweet and malty up front and quickly makes room for the hops; an assortment of flavors ensues. Oranges, grapefruit rind and lemon make up the citrus portion of hop flavors while notes of tulips and roses float around. Nuttiness builds from within the hops and pairs well with the caramel-like sweetness. Finish is enjoyably bitter and leaves the mouth coated with hop oils.

Perhaps the highlight of this beer is it's luciously smooth and creamy body, floating on a bed of soft, fluffy and delicate carbonation. Medium-full in body overall and puts out every ounce of flavor this beer has to offer.

A delight to drink. For a Double IPA, it's easier to handle than most and far more enjoyable. This will continue to quech my thirst for hoppy beers for a long time. Alas, it's gone all too soon and I must reminisce. Have no fear, it's easy to obtain, and shall delight my pallate once more!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one good looking DIPA. Hercules pours with a large tanned head. Lots of lacing fills the inside of the glass, great retention and a hazy orange color.

Smells of floral hops, grapefruits, yeasty spice, dark fruits and a dash of malt.

Tastes of citrus, grapefruits the label says a nutty malt and I do agree the malt comes into play and blends everything well for a really nice treat.

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap served in a pint glass, this comes out a pretty glowing amber, a finger of off-white head, excellent lacing. Nose is a solid dose of hops, citrus and grapefruit all the way, very nice and fragrant, allowing just a slight bready malt to come through. Taste is what I expected, bursting with juicy grapefruit, citrus, and floral hops, a caramel malt backbone doing an admirable job in balacing, a nice lingering hoppy bitter finish. Hops are big, but your tongue doesn't get scoured by them, and you're still tasting by the end of the glass. Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly slick and oily feel. This is an excellent DIPA, I look forward to trying more beers from Great Divide.

22 Oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A- Pours ultra hazy burnt orange, cant see anything through it. A one finger of quickly dissipating head with some pretty good lacing. A dank looking IPA, just what I love to see.

S- A well balanced and pungent smell. Overly ripened grapefruits, some old fruits like pineapple and some figs even. A sweet maltiness here. A little caramel and a good deal of breadyness. A tiny touch of alcohol. Very fruity and rank, an awesome smelling brew.

T- The taste really reflects the smell. A heap of funky fruits up front like that old grapefruit, figs and rotting citrus, I mean that in a good way. Sort of stings the tongue with bitterness and carbonation, a really live beer. The hop profile in this beer is complex, funky and bizarre, it changes with every sip and keeps me guessing. A caramel breadiness lies beneath the crazy hop profile but still has a strong presence in the beer. A fantastic and very interesting tasting beer.

M- This beer is not lacking in the flavor department and is far from watered down, but having said that, this brew isn't too hard to get down, not a daily drinker but not quite a sipper. Leaves the mouth with a robust bitterness and a funky fruit aftertaste. A creamy feeling beer but isn't over bearing.

O- This is an amazing DIPA, A dank appearance, a pungent and funky smell and taste that is very complex and ever changing. Its fairly easy to get down yet wont gonna make you sick. I recommend this to all my friends who like a good hoppy beer, this is a real winner. Reminds me a bit of Stones 14th, as good if not better.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass and snifter. Perfect clarity of a ruby orange with a fat rocky head. Laces tremendousy all the way down, friggin gorgeous.

The aroma is a malt base soaked in piney hops. Citric and juicy. Very strong and pleasant, not overkill at all.

Hop juice, super clean bitterness with pine and citrus. Very well balanced with strong malt backbone. Not as intense as many an IIPA, but that could be because of how well balanced this is. Super clean, oily, juicy with a grapefruit lingering finish.

Very drinkable. This bad boy is 9 percent and that could lead to trouble. Supremely drinkable. This is an awesome IIPA, more subdued and well balanced than most. Killer.

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

Dude... this was amazing! A beer trade from a new friend visiting for the Toronto International Film festival from Colorado... Faint hops smell, it give nothing away to the fact of when tasting this you are gob-smacked with flavour! The colour, light golden brown, such a well balance between the hops and malt, very little left on the palate, hops going down within minutes. 10% abv? Really, I wouldn't have thought this. Initial taste, hope right at the tip and sides of the tongue, then a toffee/caramel malt blend right in the centre of your tongue. This was fantastic!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've read a bunch about Great Divide's beers and finally find a store that sold some (Jax Fine Wine & Spirts on Roswell Rd in Atlanta) so I bought a couple to try and I must say the reviews are correct, excellent beer. My first one is the Hercules Double IPA and I've got a Fresh Hop Pale Ale and Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout in the fridge I can't wait to try.

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a deep hazy copper color with a nice creamy head that left great lacing for the duration of the drink. Smell is crisp citrusy hops and a lovely sweet malt aroma in the background. Taste is incredibly smooth that starts out with a nice kick of hops. Then the malt comes in for a bit before being finished off again with the hops. This is another superbly crafted brew from Great Divide!

Beautiful beer.

Surprising to me was how light colored this beer was compared to differend double IPA's that I've tried. Very light tannish color.

Hop explosion is all I can say about this one. They are everywhere hard to identify it all it hits you so much. Not as bitter as I was expecting but exceptional hop profile.
Decent malt background without being too cloying as other examples seem to be in my experience.

Overall a very smooth DIPA one of the smoothest I've tried so far. Definate recommendation.

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden brown color with a thin, carbonated, white head with poor retention. Almost no lacing coats the glass. Smells of hops, hops, and more hops. The hops are in your face but the nose is balanced well with a very malty sweetness, perhaps caramel and brown sugar. The caramel is balanced perfectly with the bitter, astringent hops. I'm also sensing some fresh baked bread and yeast. Tastes a bit oaky at first with a strong boozy bite. The hops fade a bit in the transfer from the nose and the sweetness takes over on the palate. Yeast hasa strong presence in the finish. Very, very complex but I like it. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, but also has a thick, malty backbone. Absolutely exceptional. Great Divide, please make at least one bad beer. Y'all are too good of brewers. Hercules is top 2 best DIPA's I've ever had.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Thank you to absolutesites for this one.
Pours a kick ass orange, almost rust color, w/ a finger of creamy, off-white head. Lacing is like looking at an ant farm from a cross-cut perspective...all of these carbonated pockets forming, but a lot of it clinging to the glass.
Smell is an overpowering hop rush...like no IPA or IIPA before. Major citrus, almost tangerine primarily...not a hint of alcohol. Must admit, I've had barleywines that did not smell this aromatic.
The taste is D-Y-N-O-M-I-T-E!! A thick, bitter fruity hop that coats the tongue, with the bitterness sliding to the underside to hit places that have never tasted hops...simply incredible.
Caramel, vanilla, grapefruit w/ just a touch of alcohol when working its way towards near room temperature.
I can't believe that the malt is such a presence in this brew...making this one heck of a balanced/session beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance Comes down like a red amber/copper in my snifter. Giving a 1/2 finger of cap, leaving 1 finger lacings.

Smell Seriously, this brew’s aroma is like a raging bull running the streets of Pamplona. I’m about one foot away from my glass and already it’s like I’m drowning in the DIPA. It’s a complex story starring tobacco, smoke, orange rind, honey and lime all embedded in the subtlest aromatic hops.

Taste Boat loads of sugary sweetness, alcoholic and sticky but freakishly smooth. Contains cereals, nuts, oranges and pink grape fruits. In the background is an everlasting steady hops aroma lurking.

Mouthfeel Creamy and smooth liquid, prickling alcoholic presence and tickleishly carbonated.

Great Scott! This is bold and brave stuff. My preconceptions were… well I had none. I know this DIPA’s been around for several years but I like stumbling in the dark until I find light, or gold for that matter, which I did here. This is one heck of a DIPA. Now I’m really excited to sample the bottle of Grand Cru sitting on the shelf back home. Great Divide? Great Beer!

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a tulip glass.
A: Awesome maple syrupy color. Very light head that leaves almost no lacing on top.

S: Pears and lemons dominate it for me.

T: Sweet, followed by mellow hops, then piney at the end. Wow.

M: Feels like nice full milk on the mouth. Very smooth

D: It goes down very smooth

Overall, a great beer that is very drinkable. I love this beer, as it is very well balanced.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

The colour is deep amber-brown; the low head sinks quickly down to an off white ring. Some lacing.

The smell is surprisingly creamy and balanced: There are of course lots of citric hops here; mostly grape fruits and lemon peels, but also some tangerines. There are some sweet notes of raw beef and a hint of vanilla ice cream.

The taste is… Oooohhhh, this is great stuff! At fist, there are some sweet fruity notes, but it is soon replaced by massive grape fruit bitterness. It is kind of that sourness one experience when tasting a little citric acid – it is all over the mouth and it won’t let go! There are some lightly chemical flavours of oil colour and wax, but those are just minor nuances in the sour-bitter landscape. The aftertaste is bitter with some citric sourness, a light sweetness and a hint of broth and meat. It is very very long lasting. The finish is bitter.

The carbonation is strong, but not too strong. Fresh small bubbles; the liquid is medium thick.

As I said earlier, this IS great stuff. Aggressive with lots of attitude, but it is still balanced in an odd way. This is certainly one of the best American brews I have reviewed so far!

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Another super hoppy IPA on my last trip to Texas.

The phrase I used to describe this one in my notepad was "hoppy as fuck" so I'm going to stick with it!

The beer pours a gold-amber color... white head, lots and lots of hops giving all sorts of grapefruit and citrus flavors as well as pine.

One of the best IIPAs I've ever tried, will certainly look for this one again on the next trip to Texas.

Hercules Double IPA
10,0% Abv. 355ml bottle
Served lightly chilled in a tulip wine glass.

Massively hopped American IPA’s are fast becoming one of my favorite beer styles. I am hence expecting big things from this beer, especially since the bottle seems pretty fresh. Let’s hope it does not disappoint!

Appearance: Hercules pours a stunning (slightly cloudy) bright golden orange with a good sized off-white head that displays what I can only describe as perfect retention and lacing.

Smell: As I crack the cap I am immediately greeted by a massive hop aroma and am relieved that this beer is still fresh. Immediately the nose makes me think of local orange blossom honey. The rest of the aroma consists of tropical fruit (I detect pineapple and a large dose of citrus), caramel malt, slightly peppery note (almost reminded me of a Belgian tripel) and the expected blast of resiny pine.
If the flavour is this good I am going to very very happy.

Taste: First sip and I am immediately surprised how balanced this beer is, I was expecting bitterness and nothing else, however the bucket loads of caramel malt leads to a wonderfully balanced mixture of sweet and bitter. Initially the flavour is dominated by sweet caramel, orange blossom honey and citrus fruit, for an instant I was left wondering where the hops were. My ponderings came to an abrupt end however as the sweetness was suddenly engulfed by a massive wave of resiny pine and grapefruit pith bitterness. Wonderfully long hoppy finish – this is a beer I could drink all day!
Superb alcohol cover up, if it weren’t for the warming in my stomach I could quite easily have believed that this was a 6 % brew.

Mouthfeel: Mmmmm now this is what I expect from a Double IPA – Full body, slightly oily and perfect (medium level) smooth carbonation.

Overall: What can I say, other than Outstanding!
If you are a hop-head you will love this. However if you’re not used to big, hoppy beers then upon tasting there is a high likelihood that you will pull a dreadful face – similar to the one my mother just made!

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

I decided to crack open my 22 oz. bomber of this tonight. This beer pours a nice amber color with a decent head (I probably would’ve had more head if it was a bit warmer when I poured it). It is also not cloudy like their Titan IPA. The smells are of mainly malty goodness, but there’s a bit of a piney citrusy hops scent as well.

The taste and drinkability are where it’s at. This beer is a perfectly balanced double IPA. The flavors up front are of the sweet malts, perhaps some caramel malt. Down in back, you get the tingle of the hops, piney and citrusy, like the scent. Though the alcohol content is high, you don’t know it in the flavor. It feels a bit thicker and heavier, but that’s to be expected. I have easily drunk most of this glass (and I still have about half the bottle left).

This beer is pure pleasure. If you like IPA’s and you want to move onto bigger beers, this is a great start and finish (though I would still recommend trying more and more). I have definitely found my favorite double IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - a ton of white fluffy sticky head cused great lacing, poured a clear honey amber shade

S - bittering and floral hops are very present, slight hints of citrus and honey

T - bitter, malty-sweet, earthy

M - very smooth with a sweet finish, slightly creamy, bitter initial taste but well balanced sweetness causes for a pleasant drinking experience

O - this is an excellent IIPA. not TOO bitter, full of flavor. every aspect of this beer is close to perfection.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: a thick copper color real hazy and a good amount of carbonation. slightly off white head is about 1.5 fingers and left a thick lace down the glass as it went away.

S: real piney hoppy smell right off the bat for me with undertones of citrus.

T: big citrus flavor mixed with the piney hops. light malty alcohol flavor at the end for me.

M: big and full bodied. really creamy and thick to me. real pleasant on my tounge

Overall enjoyed this beer a lot very filling. def a one and done beer maybe two depending how im feeling. it is real hefty as the label on my bottle says. this may have placed in my top 10 beers maybe even top 5

Hercules Double IPA
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a hazy orange with a cloudy dust quality. Big, fluffy head that you can control with just the pour. Very appealing beer.

Pleasant nose with strong floral whiffs and citrus fruit.

Sweet, juicy citrus punch with a massive hop bomb. Hop presence is fruity, spicy, piney and floral all mixed together. Sugary sweet with hints of caramel. The mouthfeel is interestingly creamy and grainy.

Drinkability level is really good for a beer of this level. Overall, this is an excellent beer that is crafted with the utmost quality. A double IPA that gives DFH a run for its money.

Recommened without a doubt.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company