Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,531 | Hads: 3,864

22 Oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A- Pours ultra hazy burnt orange, cant see anything through it. A one finger of quickly dissipating head with some pretty good lacing. A dank looking IPA, just what I love to see.

S- A well balanced and pungent smell. Overly ripened grapefruits, some old fruits like pineapple and some figs even. A sweet maltiness here. A little caramel and a good deal of breadyness. A tiny touch of alcohol. Very fruity and rank, an awesome smelling brew.

T- The taste really reflects the smell. A heap of funky fruits up front like that old grapefruit, figs and rotting citrus, I mean that in a good way. Sort of stings the tongue with bitterness and carbonation, a really live beer. The hop profile in this beer is complex, funky and bizarre, it changes with every sip and keeps me guessing. A caramel breadiness lies beneath the crazy hop profile but still has a strong presence in the beer. A fantastic and very interesting tasting beer.

M- This beer is not lacking in the flavor department and is far from watered down, but having said that, this brew isn't too hard to get down, not a daily drinker but not quite a sipper. Leaves the mouth with a robust bitterness and a funky fruit aftertaste. A creamy feeling beer but isn't over bearing.

O- This is an amazing DIPA, A dank appearance, a pungent and funky smell and taste that is very complex and ever changing. Its fairly easy to get down yet wont gonna make you sick. I recommend this to all my friends who like a good hoppy beer, this is a real winner. Reminds me a bit of Stones 14th, as good if not better. (1,600 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass and snifter. Perfect clarity of a ruby orange with a fat rocky head. Laces tremendousy all the way down, friggin gorgeous.

The aroma is a malt base soaked in piney hops. Citric and juicy. Very strong and pleasant, not overkill at all.

Hop juice, super clean bitterness with pine and citrus. Very well balanced with strong malt backbone. Not as intense as many an IIPA, but that could be because of how well balanced this is. Super clean, oily, juicy with a grapefruit lingering finish.

Very drinkable. This bad boy is 9 percent and that could lead to trouble. Supremely drinkable. This is an awesome IIPA, more subdued and well balanced than most. Killer. (691 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

Dude... this was amazing! A beer trade from a new friend visiting for the Toronto International Film festival from Colorado... Faint hops smell, it give nothing away to the fact of when tasting this you are gob-smacked with flavour! The colour, light golden brown, such a well balance between the hops and malt, very little left on the palate, hops going down within minutes. 10% abv? Really, I wouldn't have thought this. Initial taste, hope right at the tip and sides of the tongue, then a toffee/caramel malt blend right in the centre of your tongue. This was fantastic! (573 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've read a bunch about Great Divide's beers and finally find a store that sold some (Jax Fine Wine & Spirts on Roswell Rd in Atlanta) so I bought a couple to try and I must say the reviews are correct, excellent beer. My first one is the Hercules Double IPA and I've got a Fresh Hop Pale Ale and Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout in the fridge I can't wait to try. (360 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a deep hazy copper color with a nice creamy head that left great lacing for the duration of the drink. Smell is crisp citrusy hops and a lovely sweet malt aroma in the background. Taste is incredibly smooth that starts out with a nice kick of hops. Then the malt comes in for a bit before being finished off again with the hops. This is another superbly crafted brew from Great Divide! (391 characters)

Beautiful beer.

Surprising to me was how light colored this beer was compared to differend double IPA's that I've tried. Very light tannish color.

Hop explosion is all I can say about this one. They are everywhere hard to identify it all it hits you so much. Not as bitter as I was expecting but exceptional hop profile.
Decent malt background without being too cloying as other examples seem to be in my experience.

Overall a very smooth DIPA one of the smoothest I've tried so far. Definate recommendation. (518 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden brown color with a thin, carbonated, white head with poor retention. Almost no lacing coats the glass. Smells of hops, hops, and more hops. The hops are in your face but the nose is balanced well with a very malty sweetness, perhaps caramel and brown sugar. The caramel is balanced perfectly with the bitter, astringent hops. I'm also sensing some fresh baked bread and yeast. Tastes a bit oaky at first with a strong boozy bite. The hops fade a bit in the transfer from the nose and the sweetness takes over on the palate. Yeast hasa strong presence in the finish. Very, very complex but I like it. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, but also has a thick, malty backbone. Absolutely exceptional. Great Divide, please make at least one bad beer. Y'all are too good of brewers. Hercules is top 2 best DIPA's I've ever had. (836 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Thank you to absolutesites for this one.
Pours a kick ass orange, almost rust color, w/ a finger of creamy, off-white head. Lacing is like looking at an ant farm from a cross-cut perspective...all of these carbonated pockets forming, but a lot of it clinging to the glass.
Smell is an overpowering hop rush...like no IPA or IIPA before. Major citrus, almost tangerine primarily...not a hint of alcohol. Must admit, I've had barleywines that did not smell this aromatic.
The taste is D-Y-N-O-M-I-T-E!! A thick, bitter fruity hop that coats the tongue, with the bitterness sliding to the underside to hit places that have never tasted hops...simply incredible.
Caramel, vanilla, grapefruit w/ just a touch of alcohol when working its way towards near room temperature.
I can't believe that the malt is such a presence in this brew...making this one heck of a balanced/session beer. (884 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance Comes down like a red amber/copper in my snifter. Giving a 1/2 finger of cap, leaving 1 finger lacings.

Smell Seriously, this brew’s aroma is like a raging bull running the streets of Pamplona. I’m about one foot away from my glass and already it’s like I’m drowning in the DIPA. It’s a complex story starring tobacco, smoke, orange rind, honey and lime all embedded in the subtlest aromatic hops.

Taste Boat loads of sugary sweetness, alcoholic and sticky but freakishly smooth. Contains cereals, nuts, oranges and pink grape fruits. In the background is an everlasting steady hops aroma lurking.

Mouthfeel Creamy and smooth liquid, prickling alcoholic presence and tickleishly carbonated.

Great Scott! This is bold and brave stuff. My preconceptions were… well I had none. I know this DIPA’s been around for several years but I like stumbling in the dark until I find light, or gold for that matter, which I did here. This is one heck of a DIPA. Now I’m really excited to sample the bottle of Grand Cru sitting on the shelf back home. Great Divide? Great Beer! (1,093 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a tulip glass.
A: Awesome maple syrupy color. Very light head that leaves almost no lacing on top.

S: Pears and lemons dominate it for me.

T: Sweet, followed by mellow hops, then piney at the end. Wow.

M: Feels like nice full milk on the mouth. Very smooth

D: It goes down very smooth

Overall, a great beer that is very drinkable. I love this beer, as it is very well balanced. (397 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

The colour is deep amber-brown; the low head sinks quickly down to an off white ring. Some lacing.

The smell is surprisingly creamy and balanced: There are of course lots of citric hops here; mostly grape fruits and lemon peels, but also some tangerines. There are some sweet notes of raw beef and a hint of vanilla ice cream.

The taste is… Oooohhhh, this is great stuff! At fist, there are some sweet fruity notes, but it is soon replaced by massive grape fruit bitterness. It is kind of that sourness one experience when tasting a little citric acid – it is all over the mouth and it won’t let go! There are some lightly chemical flavours of oil colour and wax, but those are just minor nuances in the sour-bitter landscape. The aftertaste is bitter with some citric sourness, a light sweetness and a hint of broth and meat. It is very very long lasting. The finish is bitter.

The carbonation is strong, but not too strong. Fresh small bubbles; the liquid is medium thick.

As I said earlier, this IS great stuff. Aggressive with lots of attitude, but it is still balanced in an odd way. This is certainly one of the best American brews I have reviewed so far! (1,170 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Another super hoppy IPA on my last trip to Texas.

The phrase I used to describe this one in my notepad was "hoppy as fuck" so I'm going to stick with it!

The beer pours a gold-amber color... white head, lots and lots of hops giving all sorts of grapefruit and citrus flavors as well as pine.

One of the best IIPAs I've ever tried, will certainly look for this one again on the next trip to Texas. (400 characters)

Hercules Double IPA
10,0% Abv. 355ml bottle
Served lightly chilled in a tulip wine glass.

Massively hopped American IPA’s are fast becoming one of my favorite beer styles. I am hence expecting big things from this beer, especially since the bottle seems pretty fresh. Let’s hope it does not disappoint!

Appearance: Hercules pours a stunning (slightly cloudy) bright golden orange with a good sized off-white head that displays what I can only describe as perfect retention and lacing.

Smell: As I crack the cap I am immediately greeted by a massive hop aroma and am relieved that this beer is still fresh. Immediately the nose makes me think of local orange blossom honey. The rest of the aroma consists of tropical fruit (I detect pineapple and a large dose of citrus), caramel malt, slightly peppery note (almost reminded me of a Belgian tripel) and the expected blast of resiny pine.
If the flavour is this good I am going to very very happy.

Taste: First sip and I am immediately surprised how balanced this beer is, I was expecting bitterness and nothing else, however the bucket loads of caramel malt leads to a wonderfully balanced mixture of sweet and bitter. Initially the flavour is dominated by sweet caramel, orange blossom honey and citrus fruit, for an instant I was left wondering where the hops were. My ponderings came to an abrupt end however as the sweetness was suddenly engulfed by a massive wave of resiny pine and grapefruit pith bitterness. Wonderfully long hoppy finish – this is a beer I could drink all day!
Superb alcohol cover up, if it weren’t for the warming in my stomach I could quite easily have believed that this was a 6 % brew.

Mouthfeel: Mmmmm now this is what I expect from a Double IPA – Full body, slightly oily and perfect (medium level) smooth carbonation.

Overall: What can I say, other than Outstanding!
If you are a hop-head you will love this. However if you’re not used to big, hoppy beers then upon tasting there is a high likelihood that you will pull a dreadful face – similar to the one my mother just made! (2,085 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

I decided to crack open my 22 oz. bomber of this tonight. This beer pours a nice amber color with a decent head (I probably would’ve had more head if it was a bit warmer when I poured it). It is also not cloudy like their Titan IPA. The smells are of mainly malty goodness, but there’s a bit of a piney citrusy hops scent as well.

The taste and drinkability are where it’s at. This beer is a perfectly balanced double IPA. The flavors up front are of the sweet malts, perhaps some caramel malt. Down in back, you get the tingle of the hops, piney and citrusy, like the scent. Though the alcohol content is high, you don’t know it in the flavor. It feels a bit thicker and heavier, but that’s to be expected. I have easily drunk most of this glass (and I still have about half the bottle left).

This beer is pure pleasure. If you like IPA’s and you want to move onto bigger beers, this is a great start and finish (though I would still recommend trying more and more). I have definitely found my favorite double IPA. (1,024 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - a ton of white fluffy sticky head cused great lacing, poured a clear honey amber shade

S - bittering and floral hops are very present, slight hints of citrus and honey

T - bitter, malty-sweet, earthy

M - very smooth with a sweet finish, slightly creamy, bitter initial taste but well balanced sweetness causes for a pleasant drinking experience

O - this is an excellent IIPA. not TOO bitter, full of flavor. every aspect of this beer is close to perfection. (465 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: a thick copper color real hazy and a good amount of carbonation. slightly off white head is about 1.5 fingers and left a thick lace down the glass as it went away.

S: real piney hoppy smell right off the bat for me with undertones of citrus.

T: big citrus flavor mixed with the piney hops. light malty alcohol flavor at the end for me.

M: big and full bodied. really creamy and thick to me. real pleasant on my tounge

Overall enjoyed this beer a lot very filling. def a one and done beer maybe two depending how im feeling. it is real hefty as the label on my bottle says. this may have placed in my top 10 beers maybe even top 5 (638 characters)

Hercules Double IPA
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a hazy orange with a cloudy dust quality. Big, fluffy head that you can control with just the pour. Very appealing beer.

Pleasant nose with strong floral whiffs and citrus fruit.

Sweet, juicy citrus punch with a massive hop bomb. Hop presence is fruity, spicy, piney and floral all mixed together. Sugary sweet with hints of caramel. The mouthfeel is interestingly creamy and grainy.

Drinkability level is really good for a beer of this level. Overall, this is an excellent beer that is crafted with the utmost quality. A double IPA that gives DFH a run for its money.

Recommened without a doubt. (695 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. with no freshness date, but the label informs me that Hercules weighs in at 85 IBUs. Pours into the balloon glass a red/copper wtih a half inch of tan head and little apparent carbonation, but it leaves a collar of bubbles and some lacing. It smells tropical at first (orange, grapefruit, mango, strawberry?), but there are also piney hops, a good malty background, and some burning alcohol, the latter of which makes it a 4.5 for aroma rather than 5. It is thick, heavy, and smooth from the start, with coating/lingering hop oils, leafy/citric/tropical hops, a boatload of sweetness and perhaps nutty malts to balance. Quite good. I wish I saw this around more often. (675 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a dark amber leaning towards an almost light brown color. Creamy mouthfeel due to the heavenly off-white head. Smells of honey, sweet sweet honey. Very subdued yet alluring. The hops are very complex as well. Hard for me to decipher what's going on other than that this beer is well balance and tasted yummy. If only my palate was more refined...this is so smooth and refined for a double IPA!

Nutty, yet sweet malt profile. One word...heavenly. Hints of caramel as well?

Quoting/reading the bottle afterwards..."Huge amount of hops from start to finish, its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile." 85 IBU's (661 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Poured a translucent deep caramel with some auburn notes into my Victory tulip. Fairly effervescent with a thick light caramel head that dissipates quickly (less than a minute) and leaves lacing about half as high as the head was.

S: Sweet and hoppy with some orange-y notes. Alcohol comes in at the end, but only faintly.

T: Quite hoppy, but not in an overpowering way. The citrus in the smell didn't really come through in the taste as much as I was expecting. There's a smokey note in here as well, but it took me a few sips to pick up on it. Maybe I've trained my taste buds to ignore booze, but I barely tasted any alcohol here; it only registers in finish, and certainly not in the way most 10%-ers do. The sweetness hits you a second or two after you finish your sip and stays with you for a while.

M: Oh, man is this stuff smooth. Wow. Goes down easier than about any beer I've ever tried--certainly easier than anything of similar gravity and style. The brew coats your tongue and lingers in the same way as scotch or bourbon.

O: Awesome stuff. So, so, so smooth. I can't stress that aspect enough. But for the buzz I had after one glass, I'd have had no idea I was drinking a 10%-er. I could session this, no joke. I'll be recommending this one to friends who want to try a "bigger" beer but aren't ready for some of the more overtly alcoholic offerings out there. That's not AT ALL to say that this is a "rookie" beer, though. It's quite complex and includes a lot of flavor notes that I can't properly articulate. Excellent stuff. (1,549 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter. (1,475 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Cloudy deep cooper/orange color with a nice pillowy, bone white head that does not go away and leaves some awesome lacing all over the sides of the glass. Nose is dominated by pine & citrus with a strong malt sweetness evident as well - quite a nice smell, actually. Wow, this is a balanced DIPA - huge citric hops up front that segue into caramel malt richness and ends with a dry grapefruit-like finish - excellent stuff. Mouthfeel is thick, almost chewy; really great for this style. At 9%, this stuff could kick your ass if you lose track - it's really awesome. Highest recommendation. (610 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%

Ah Hercules! A contemporary of my avatar namesake! A name befitting this robust and strong beer. The gods must have had a hand in the creation of this brew! A balance of the mortal and immortal!

The paper label is actually pretty lame I think. At least they didn't put some guy on there in a loincloth wrestling a lion.

The beer pours a color that is definitely on the red side of orange. Hazed and uniform, but see-through. The head is thin and off-white. But the lacing! I'm not sure "lacing" does an adequate job to describe what is on the sides of my glass. More like "plastering" or "sheeting" or "painting" because the sides of my glass were absolutely coated with this beer's sticky goodness. Incredible.

Smell is definitely lighter than the taste. I get a light floral piney smell with some citrus in there and a little juniper. Good but not great.

Taste is huge and strong! Sweet malt citrus hops play back and forth in my mouth for a seriously long time. I can taste this beer minutes after drinking a sip. It starts out with a sweet mapley malt that quickly is coated in piney hops. Next is candied oranges and then a little ganja. Finally the beer comes to rest as a mellow candied pear lightly coated in bitter herbs. This is a serious beer here and deserves the 5.0 in taste I am giving it. The amount of time I can taste the beer in my mouth is staggering.

I'm gonna have to give this one a 5.0 in mouthfeel as well. This is a slick oily beer that slides down nicely with the carbonation adding a creamy feeling to it all. It is not thick, but slick. This is my perfect beer mouthfeel here.

The hugeness of this beer is a downfall, however. My palate tires of this after one bomber and I would be wasting the second if I had two in a row. After Hercules wrestles my tongue into states of taste ecstacy, it is worn and spent and needs rest before another round of this great brew. (1,914 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 3/25/13. Poured into a chalice.

This is not a DIPA. It is too malty, not hop heavy enough to be a DIPA and 10% ABV. It is an excellent, complex, well-balanced BARLEYWINE. And I have graded as a BW not a DIPA. Hercules DIPA will be a regular in my fridge.

A - Pours a clear dark amber color with a one-finger rocky head, which dissapates rather quickly (duh- high ABV). Average lacing.

S - Malty honey sweet, some floral and resinous notes, faint spiceness.

T - Malty sweet start with a balancing resiny bitterness. This is a barleywine.

MF - Smooth with some chewiness, med to heavy body. (604 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a copper color with not much head at all. The ring of bubbles around the rim leaves a sheet of lacing. There is a ton of floaties in this one. I would have given it a slightly better grade if not for all the floaties and lack of head.

S: Pine and citrus hop aromas dominate the nose. Even though the hops dominate, the malt is still noticeable along with a hint of alcohol as well. This one smells fantastic.

T: What a wonderfully complex beer. The malt is forward which I didn't expect from the aroma. The initial malt taste is huge, almost barleywine-like. Then the hops start to come in and fill the mouth with a nice bitterness that isn't overpowering. The alcohol is well hidden but comes through as its rolled in the mouth. The after taste is a pleasant oily bitterness. I enjoyed licking the inside of my cheeks after I swallowed the beer.

M: It has a medium body. The carbonation makes it creamy in the mouth if rolled vigorously on the tongue.

D: With the hidden alcohol and excellent balance, I could really knock these back. Of course, it would likely knock back since it is over 9%.

This is a very good beer. It is the most balanced DIPA that I can recall trying. (1,192 characters)

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company