Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,838 | Reviews: 1,555
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Thank you to absolutesites for this one.
Pours a kick ass orange, almost rust color, w/ a finger of creamy, off-white head. Lacing is like looking at an ant farm from a cross-cut perspective...all of these carbonated pockets forming, but a lot of it clinging to the glass.
Smell is an overpowering hop rush...like no IPA or IIPA before. Major citrus, almost tangerine primarily...not a hint of alcohol. Must admit, I've had barleywines that did not smell this aromatic.
The taste is D-Y-N-O-M-I-T-E!! A thick, bitter fruity hop that coats the tongue, with the bitterness sliding to the underside to hit places that have never tasted hops...simply incredible.
Caramel, vanilla, grapefruit w/ just a touch of alcohol when working its way towards near room temperature.
I can't believe that the malt is such a presence in this brew...making this one heck of a balanced/session beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance Comes down like a red amber/copper in my snifter. Giving a 1/2 finger of cap, leaving 1 finger lacings.

Smell Seriously, this brew’s aroma is like a raging bull running the streets of Pamplona. I’m about one foot away from my glass and already it’s like I’m drowning in the DIPA. It’s a complex story starring tobacco, smoke, orange rind, honey and lime all embedded in the subtlest aromatic hops.

Taste Boat loads of sugary sweetness, alcoholic and sticky but freakishly smooth. Contains cereals, nuts, oranges and pink grape fruits. In the background is an everlasting steady hops aroma lurking.

Mouthfeel Creamy and smooth liquid, prickling alcoholic presence and tickleishly carbonated.

Great Scott! This is bold and brave stuff. My preconceptions were… well I had none. I know this DIPA’s been around for several years but I like stumbling in the dark until I find light, or gold for that matter, which I did here. This is one heck of a DIPA. Now I’m really excited to sample the bottle of Grand Cru sitting on the shelf back home. Great Divide? Great Beer!

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a tulip glass.
A: Awesome maple syrupy color. Very light head that leaves almost no lacing on top.

S: Pears and lemons dominate it for me.

T: Sweet, followed by mellow hops, then piney at the end. Wow.

M: Feels like nice full milk on the mouth. Very smooth

D: It goes down very smooth

Overall, a great beer that is very drinkable. I love this beer, as it is very well balanced.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

The colour is deep amber-brown; the low head sinks quickly down to an off white ring. Some lacing.

The smell is surprisingly creamy and balanced: There are of course lots of citric hops here; mostly grape fruits and lemon peels, but also some tangerines. There are some sweet notes of raw beef and a hint of vanilla ice cream.

The taste is… Oooohhhh, this is great stuff! At fist, there are some sweet fruity notes, but it is soon replaced by massive grape fruit bitterness. It is kind of that sourness one experience when tasting a little citric acid – it is all over the mouth and it won’t let go! There are some lightly chemical flavours of oil colour and wax, but those are just minor nuances in the sour-bitter landscape. The aftertaste is bitter with some citric sourness, a light sweetness and a hint of broth and meat. It is very very long lasting. The finish is bitter.

The carbonation is strong, but not too strong. Fresh small bubbles; the liquid is medium thick.

As I said earlier, this IS great stuff. Aggressive with lots of attitude, but it is still balanced in an odd way. This is certainly one of the best American brews I have reviewed so far!

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Another super hoppy IPA on my last trip to Texas.

The phrase I used to describe this one in my notepad was "hoppy as fuck" so I'm going to stick with it!

The beer pours a gold-amber color... white head, lots and lots of hops giving all sorts of grapefruit and citrus flavors as well as pine.

One of the best IIPAs I've ever tried, will certainly look for this one again on the next trip to Texas.

Hercules Double IPA
10,0% Abv. 355ml bottle
Served lightly chilled in a tulip wine glass.

Massively hopped American IPA’s are fast becoming one of my favorite beer styles. I am hence expecting big things from this beer, especially since the bottle seems pretty fresh. Let’s hope it does not disappoint!

Appearance: Hercules pours a stunning (slightly cloudy) bright golden orange with a good sized off-white head that displays what I can only describe as perfect retention and lacing.

Smell: As I crack the cap I am immediately greeted by a massive hop aroma and am relieved that this beer is still fresh. Immediately the nose makes me think of local orange blossom honey. The rest of the aroma consists of tropical fruit (I detect pineapple and a large dose of citrus), caramel malt, slightly peppery note (almost reminded me of a Belgian tripel) and the expected blast of resiny pine.
If the flavour is this good I am going to very very happy.

Taste: First sip and I am immediately surprised how balanced this beer is, I was expecting bitterness and nothing else, however the bucket loads of caramel malt leads to a wonderfully balanced mixture of sweet and bitter. Initially the flavour is dominated by sweet caramel, orange blossom honey and citrus fruit, for an instant I was left wondering where the hops were. My ponderings came to an abrupt end however as the sweetness was suddenly engulfed by a massive wave of resiny pine and grapefruit pith bitterness. Wonderfully long hoppy finish – this is a beer I could drink all day!
Superb alcohol cover up, if it weren’t for the warming in my stomach I could quite easily have believed that this was a 6 % brew.

Mouthfeel: Mmmmm now this is what I expect from a Double IPA – Full body, slightly oily and perfect (medium level) smooth carbonation.

Overall: What can I say, other than Outstanding!
If you are a hop-head you will love this. However if you’re not used to big, hoppy beers then upon tasting there is a high likelihood that you will pull a dreadful face – similar to the one my mother just made!

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

I decided to crack open my 22 oz. bomber of this tonight. This beer pours a nice amber color with a decent head (I probably would’ve had more head if it was a bit warmer when I poured it). It is also not cloudy like their Titan IPA. The smells are of mainly malty goodness, but there’s a bit of a piney citrusy hops scent as well.

The taste and drinkability are where it’s at. This beer is a perfectly balanced double IPA. The flavors up front are of the sweet malts, perhaps some caramel malt. Down in back, you get the tingle of the hops, piney and citrusy, like the scent. Though the alcohol content is high, you don’t know it in the flavor. It feels a bit thicker and heavier, but that’s to be expected. I have easily drunk most of this glass (and I still have about half the bottle left).

This beer is pure pleasure. If you like IPA’s and you want to move onto bigger beers, this is a great start and finish (though I would still recommend trying more and more). I have definitely found my favorite double IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - a ton of white fluffy sticky head cused great lacing, poured a clear honey amber shade

S - bittering and floral hops are very present, slight hints of citrus and honey

T - bitter, malty-sweet, earthy

M - very smooth with a sweet finish, slightly creamy, bitter initial taste but well balanced sweetness causes for a pleasant drinking experience

O - this is an excellent IIPA. not TOO bitter, full of flavor. every aspect of this beer is close to perfection.

Hercules Double IPA
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a hazy orange with a cloudy dust quality. Big, fluffy head that you can control with just the pour. Very appealing beer.

Pleasant nose with strong floral whiffs and citrus fruit.

Sweet, juicy citrus punch with a massive hop bomb. Hop presence is fruity, spicy, piney and floral all mixed together. Sugary sweet with hints of caramel. The mouthfeel is interestingly creamy and grainy.

Drinkability level is really good for a beer of this level. Overall, this is an excellent beer that is crafted with the utmost quality. A double IPA that gives DFH a run for its money.

Recommened without a doubt.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. with no freshness date, but the label informs me that Hercules weighs in at 85 IBUs. Pours into the balloon glass a red/copper wtih a half inch of tan head and little apparent carbonation, but it leaves a collar of bubbles and some lacing. It smells tropical at first (orange, grapefruit, mango, strawberry?), but there are also piney hops, a good malty background, and some burning alcohol, the latter of which makes it a 4.5 for aroma rather than 5. It is thick, heavy, and smooth from the start, with coating/lingering hop oils, leafy/citric/tropical hops, a boatload of sweetness and perhaps nutty malts to balance. Quite good. I wish I saw this around more often.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

This is a dark amber leaning towards an almost light brown color. Creamy mouthfeel due to the heavenly off-white head. Smells of honey, sweet sweet honey. Very subdued yet alluring. The hops are very complex as well. Hard for me to decipher what's going on other than that this beer is well balance and tasted yummy. If only my palate was more refined...this is so smooth and refined for a double IPA!

Nutty, yet sweet malt profile. One word...heavenly. Hints of caramel as well?

Quoting/reading the bottle afterwards..."Huge amount of hops from start to finish, its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile." 85 IBU's

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Poured a translucent deep caramel with some auburn notes into my Victory tulip. Fairly effervescent with a thick light caramel head that dissipates quickly (less than a minute) and leaves lacing about half as high as the head was.

S: Sweet and hoppy with some orange-y notes. Alcohol comes in at the end, but only faintly.

T: Quite hoppy, but not in an overpowering way. The citrus in the smell didn't really come through in the taste as much as I was expecting. There's a smokey note in here as well, but it took me a few sips to pick up on it. Maybe I've trained my taste buds to ignore booze, but I barely tasted any alcohol here; it only registers in finish, and certainly not in the way most 10%-ers do. The sweetness hits you a second or two after you finish your sip and stays with you for a while.

M: Oh, man is this stuff smooth. Wow. Goes down easier than about any beer I've ever tried--certainly easier than anything of similar gravity and style. The brew coats your tongue and lingers in the same way as scotch or bourbon.

O: Awesome stuff. So, so, so smooth. I can't stress that aspect enough. But for the buzz I had after one glass, I'd have had no idea I was drinking a 10%-er. I could session this, no joke. I'll be recommending this one to friends who want to try a "bigger" beer but aren't ready for some of the more overtly alcoholic offerings out there. That's not AT ALL to say that this is a "rookie" beer, though. It's quite complex and includes a lot of flavor notes that I can't properly articulate. Excellent stuff.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Cloudy deep cooper/orange color with a nice pillowy, bone white head that does not go away and leaves some awesome lacing all over the sides of the glass. Nose is dominated by pine & citrus with a strong malt sweetness evident as well - quite a nice smell, actually. Wow, this is a balanced DIPA - huge citric hops up front that segue into caramel malt richness and ends with a dry grapefruit-like finish - excellent stuff. Mouthfeel is thick, almost chewy; really great for this style. At 9%, this stuff could kick your ass if you lose track - it's really awesome. Highest recommendation.

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%

Ah Hercules! A contemporary of my avatar namesake! A name befitting this robust and strong beer. The gods must have had a hand in the creation of this brew! A balance of the mortal and immortal!

The paper label is actually pretty lame I think. At least they didn't put some guy on there in a loincloth wrestling a lion.

The beer pours a color that is definitely on the red side of orange. Hazed and uniform, but see-through. The head is thin and off-white. But the lacing! I'm not sure "lacing" does an adequate job to describe what is on the sides of my glass. More like "plastering" or "sheeting" or "painting" because the sides of my glass were absolutely coated with this beer's sticky goodness. Incredible.

Smell is definitely lighter than the taste. I get a light floral piney smell with some citrus in there and a little juniper. Good but not great.

Taste is huge and strong! Sweet malt citrus hops play back and forth in my mouth for a seriously long time. I can taste this beer minutes after drinking a sip. It starts out with a sweet mapley malt that quickly is coated in piney hops. Next is candied oranges and then a little ganja. Finally the beer comes to rest as a mellow candied pear lightly coated in bitter herbs. This is a serious beer here and deserves the 5.0 in taste I am giving it. The amount of time I can taste the beer in my mouth is staggering.

I'm gonna have to give this one a 5.0 in mouthfeel as well. This is a slick oily beer that slides down nicely with the carbonation adding a creamy feeling to it all. It is not thick, but slick. This is my perfect beer mouthfeel here.

The hugeness of this beer is a downfall, however. My palate tires of this after one bomber and I would be wasting the second if I had two in a row. After Hercules wrestles my tongue into states of taste ecstacy, it is worn and spent and needs rest before another round of this great brew.

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 3/25/13. Poured into a chalice.

This is not a DIPA. It is too malty, not hop heavy enough to be a DIPA and 10% ABV. It is an excellent, complex, well-balanced BARLEYWINE. And I have graded as a BW not a DIPA. Hercules DIPA will be a regular in my fridge.

A - Pours a clear dark amber color with a one-finger rocky head, which dissapates rather quickly (duh- high ABV). Average lacing.

S - Malty honey sweet, some floral and resinous notes, faint spiceness.

T - Malty sweet start with a balancing resiny bitterness. This is a barleywine.

MF - Smooth with some chewiness, med to heavy body.

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a copper color with not much head at all. The ring of bubbles around the rim leaves a sheet of lacing. There is a ton of floaties in this one. I would have given it a slightly better grade if not for all the floaties and lack of head.

S: Pine and citrus hop aromas dominate the nose. Even though the hops dominate, the malt is still noticeable along with a hint of alcohol as well. This one smells fantastic.

T: What a wonderfully complex beer. The malt is forward which I didn't expect from the aroma. The initial malt taste is huge, almost barleywine-like. Then the hops start to come in and fill the mouth with a nice bitterness that isn't overpowering. The alcohol is well hidden but comes through as its rolled in the mouth. The after taste is a pleasant oily bitterness. I enjoyed licking the inside of my cheeks after I swallowed the beer.

M: It has a medium body. The carbonation makes it creamy in the mouth if rolled vigorously on the tongue.

D: With the hidden alcohol and excellent balance, I could really knock these back. Of course, it would likely knock back since it is over 9%.

This is a very good beer. It is the most balanced DIPA that I can recall trying.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Amber color with a slight red hue and a creamy off white head that stays throughout the glass and leaves very nice lacing. Grapefruit and pineapple and a bit of lemon flow through my nose leaving me to wonder if anything could smell better. Taste is full of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and a little bit of caramel in there. A slight alcohol presence. Less than average carbonation and medium bodied, paired quite well. An exceptional brew and very fairly priced to boot. I'll be picking up more of this, try it if you can.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Golden apricot colored, a bit hazed, with a thick and frothy head that has dimples and craters and bubbles in varying sizes. Wavy rings of lace encircle the insides of the glass as I drain it. Aroma is thick and grainy and sugary, sweet and sultry, with honey and sweet tangerine and ripe fruits. A thick and full mouthfeel leads to a swirling array of flavors that weave in and out - sweet citrus and honey, followed by cotton candy sugar and pine. The hops are big in a combination of citrus and floral, with a strong malt base riding beneath. A delicate alcohol tingle warms the sides of the cheeks and creeps up the back of the nose. I find this very drinkable, though I'm sipping so as to savor every drop and not get knocked off the chair. Many thanks to Brent for sharing such an amazing beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Golden copper color with about an inch of off white head. Already looks tasty.

Smell: Heavenly. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, and of course hops. Glorious hops. Not even a trace of the 10% ABV in the nose.

Taste: Very similar to the smell with the only difference being the slight warming in your throat from the 10%. Still can't taste it though. My favorite IPA so far.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy. Excellent.

Very drinkable especially considering the ABV.

Overall I would highly recommend this.

An excellent Big beer
Recently tried the 22 oz serving;
they say its not for the faint of heart
Yet
the wonderfully pungent hopping
is certainly....
wonderful.

anyway,
it is very well balanced
with the malty backbone lending a sweet, rich and slightly (just slightly) sugary
balance
to the enormous hop whop
sensation of pine, grass, citrus, and floral
drinkability is exceptional
and pleasently too easy
given the high ABV

one could almost get drunk
without knowing it!

enjoy

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Big nose for a big beer. This really is one of the finest Double IPA's I've had in awhile. Citrusy, floral, balanced and smooth as Lando Calrassian. The 9.0% alcohol is barely noticeable but the levels of complexity make this a big beer with a high IBU. This might even be better than I2PA or 90 minute.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Yet another big beer that makes objectivity difficult.
Still, this is very well made as far as my senses can detect.
Smooth and surprisingly well balanced... big hop flavor without it being aggressive; a good malt backbone to stand up to so much rich hoppyness.
Rich and luxurious all around... if a bit heavy/dense.
If only this was readily available on the east coast...
ohhh if only.

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Had on tap at Lord Hobo- pours a slightly hazy orange/copper color with a finger head, nice retention, and pretty white lacing.

Smell is nice, hoppy and open. Kinda subdued but very attractive- floral and pine hop scents with a touch of malt sweetness.

Tastes excellent- moderate hop bitterness, good pale malt backbone, floral and pine hops well balanced with malt. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel is excellent as well- medium bodied with light carbonation. A decent amount of hop resin. Exceptional DIPA- seek it out!

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Grabbed this bad boy at a Yokes in Ponderay, Idaho. From a 22 oz. brown bomber. Pours out a brilliant clear russet copper, lots of carbonation, thick creamy, spongy head with a whipped cream texture and an unfaltering retention. Chunky coral branches of lacing left in its wake. Gorgeous looking stuff.

The nose is fantastic, not overly intense, but rather an applaudable balance. Tangerine and ruby red grapefruit from the hops, followed at a distance by some sticky pine, and held up by a chewy, almost candy-like malt sweetness.

Nice balance in the flavour as well. Hops are let loose from the beginning, but almost equally matched with the malt, a smooth blending.
Biscuity and light caramel malt, creamy texture, slow rising of orange citrus in the middle along with some floral hops, building to a contained finish of pine and grapefruit rind, it really only starts ripping the tongue and palate in the aftertaste, almost as if it's on a delay. Dry white grapefruit rind in the aftertaste that quietly lingers and burns on.

Creamy, silky smooth mouthfeel, like a magic carpet ride across the tongue. The faintest of trace stickiness well into the aftertaste, but slick enough it barely hits the radar. This is rare for a double IPA, let alone an IPA.

Wow, and wow again, it was worth the hassle at the border to bring this back home. One of the smoothest and balanced IPA's I've ever had, let alone a double. No trace of alcohol content in the flavour whatsoever, it only really sinks in well after the bottle is empty. This stuff is alchemy, for once the hype on the label is correct, it *is* fit for the gods. We're not worthy...

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company