Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,944
4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber pours hazy glowing amber-orange color with a thick creamy off-white head that leaves a nice lace in my glass. Sharp hoppy aroma of grapefruit and pine, resinous sticky pine and grapefruit flavors , has a full thick, sticky and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that finishes with a lingering bitterness, has a good malt balance, this really reminds me of Three Floyd's Dreadnaught.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Pour: a dark golden copper with a nice head that sticks to the glass all the way down
Smell: Hops, hops and more hops along with a faint citrus smell.
Taste: A nice malty, pine and hops taste. Smooth with a bitter hop finish
A great Double IPA which I highly recommend. The 9.1% ABV can be deceiving.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

The first pour was largely clear, dark bronze in hue with an amber-peachy influence. I really like how the liquid looks! It is darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was excellent, the foam sat on top of the liquid like concrete, and it took along while before it faded to a tight cap, which lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was awesome; it looked like lightly tattered wallpaper. The second pour had a bit more haze to the liquid; maybe I am drunk at this point. Whatever the case, this beer looks fantastic. I know that much. The bottom line is simple; this beer, for the style, cannot look any better.

The nose is thunderous with hops. There is no question that this beer is a DIPA. I am impressed that the nose is so rich with hops. Sticky. Pungent. Resiny. Piney. Sprucey. Citrusy… grapefruit flesh, rinds, orange peel, and lemon. Spicy. The alcohol is noticeable; the heat is warming my face and I haven’t even taken a sip. The malt is caramely and flirty but clearly secondary to the hops, and even the alcohol. Not matter, I am happy I can smell any malt behind the hop explosion. With every sniff I am rewarded with a glorious bouquet. It is literally making my mouth water. Can you get any more inviting then that? I wish the potency was louder but the aroma is so compact it almost makes up for it. Dangerously alluring.

The palate is wonderful, simply wonderful. I love the massive bitterness. My tongue is nothing more then a punching bag. I love it. The alcohol burns. Hot nasty heat… it stings the tongue and scorches my throat on the swallow. I love it. The caramel malt is so playful. I am surprised I can even taste it. This impresses me greatly. This beer is not heavy handed even though it is punching my palate relentlessly. There is tremendous grace; it is like Muhammad Ali in his prime. This beer floats like a butterfly and stings like a swarm of pissed-off Africanized killer bees… on steroids. Realistically, could this beer taste any better? I mean for a DIPA it has everything. There is plenty of bitterness, raw citrus bite upfront, orange and grapefruit zest in the middle, and it turns fleshy and juicy at the finish. Plus there are hints of berry and tropical fruit. Candy sugar. Cinnamon. Toffee. Naked alcohol… maybe there are some pine needles soaking in there. Wood. Mint. Delicious. Amazing. I like to compare beers in the same style. I am not with this one. It is great. It is different then Dreadnaught. It is different then Devil Dancer. It is different then Ruination. Hercules kicks ass. Sometimes it can be as simple as that… awesome. The alcohol is hitting my brain, right about half way through the bottle. It is numbing. From start to finish, this is lovely, lovely stuff.

Medium in body, maybe a tickle bigger… the mouthfeel is workable but it doesn’t standout. It is not too thin and I guess that is the most important thing. It is big enough to support this beer. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is solid.

Amazing stuff and perfectly drinkable… I want lots of cheese and then a nap. This is a hop bomb and a sedative. Hell, give me a turkey sandwich and I’m in a coma for a week. What more can I ask for? I am very impressed with this DIPA. It is bitter and aggressive but rich and complex. I love it. I purchased one bomber in Boulder, CO. This is a beer that I will have to buy many of, the next time I can. I would love for a beer like this to be available commercially in Nebraska. Maybe someday. Highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

I cant believe I have never had this baby before. served in a British Imperial Pint mug from a "bomber". Very very lovelly, attractive beer to look at, dark burnt orange in colur ,very attractive innthe sunlight. Attractive light tan head. Perfect presentation. A really gorgeous fresh "piney" aroma with hints of lemon grass ans pepper. Great bustin’ with fruitiness flavours ..piney, lemon, floral,creamy toffee and caramel malts.I also get some faint hints of liquorice and some traditional marmalade ( zesty) flavours. Very very good palate to this beer for something so packed with flavour, some of them conflicting, the mouthfeel is almost silky smooth. A great brewer has managed to meld these clashing profiles into cream like smoothness in the finish..excellent. Overall a terrific DIPA the best I have had of this genre. One to visit again and again and again.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance - Orangish amber, and quite clear. Beautiful creamy off white - and long-lasting to boot. Good lacing.

Smell - Floral hops galore, with malt as background. I also pick up pungent hop smell - it sort of forms the base for the whole aroma experience.

Taste - I happen to enjoy hop overkill, and this beer fits the ticket perfectly. I have a hard time concentrating on the malt, but some sweet flavors develop as the beer warms. The hops are so rough that a small burn develops at the back of teh throat. Stylistically, this beer is almost perfect.

Mouthfeel - Almost resiny. This is super thick beer. Offer a macro brew drinker a sip of this for a serious checkle.

Drinkability - How drinkable is a beer that gives you instant cotton mouth? It can be pretty darn drinkable, if it's Hercules. It will probably improve if aged for a while.

Comments - Not for the faint of heart. Drink this if you ever need to restore your faith in anything.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

A: A generous warm orange slightly hazy pour with a large compact tan head that takes quite some time to dissipate, nice lacings.

S: Tropical and citric fruits from the floral hops; pineapple, grapefruit and lemon. Nice balanced sweetness in the rich malt.

T: Sweet molasses-like malts, some caramell balances the awsome hops, both bitter as well as floral. Lots of fruits.

M: Body is syrupy and full, almost heavy. Carbonation is really low. Aftertaste lingers with sweet bitterness. Warmth from the high ABV.

O: Very complex and well balanced.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 650mL bottle.

This beer pours an orange with a frothy white head that holds beautifully and laces well. The smell is a fantastic mixture of citrusy hops and some sweet maltiness. Just a great aroma. The taste is also a major hop bomb. Again a fanastic hop flavor exhibiting some fantastic citrus (grapefruit) character but balanced out nicely with some good maltiness. There is a good thickeness to this beer and a nice carbonation. Overall highly drinkable, I just love a good DIPA.

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a light amber color. Surprisingly, there isn't much of a head, and very little lacing (although this could be my fault). The smell is incredible, all pine and apricots. Tastes very bitter, but it's not overwhelming at all (even at 85 IBUs), with piney, apricoty hops dominating, although there may be a little citrus there. I allowed myself to savor this one, and it became even better as it warmed.

Fabulous beer here, definitely recommended. I'm glad I got my hands on a bottle of this, which is truly the nectar of the Gods.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Was able to smell this beer right away when I opened it, and in a good way. Even from a distance the hop scents are abundant. Lots of citric oily ho scents and some dark fruits. Some pines scent's sting the back of the nostrils.

Raisins and other dark fruits up front. Some slightly spices hops in the middle. Not too much lingers other than some fruit taste and a slight alcohol presence.

All I can say is wow! I feel like this is how dipa's should taste. I thought 90 minute was fantastic but this somehow goes far beyond it. Super balanced, thick yet smooth, decent carbonation, and lots of hop presence. I love it! A very dangerous brew

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Served on-tap at The Public House Brookline.

Deep coppery coloration and lots of fine carbonation crawling up the sides of the glass. Thick, dense off-white head that was present throughout, start to finish.
Nose just reeked of hops aromas; big-time pine sap and needles, grapefruit and tangerine rinds. Malt base is evident thanks to the light caramel and faintly earthy notes.
Taste had a solid sweetly malty platform that stood up well to the incoming onslaught of citrus and pine flavors. Hercules seems to pack in just about every kind of flavor there is in terms of describing hops. Sappy, resinous spruce, a torrent of juicy grapefruit pith; you name it, it's there. Let's not forget the alcohol, just barely registering against the 600lb gorilla hops load. It's there, just behind the veil.
Well-carbonated, Hercules has a full, lush and velvety feel.
Even wieghing in at 9.1%ABV, Hercules is dangerously drinkable, to the point where coordination may be compromised. Hercules is a stand-out double IPA. One of the best there is and worth seeking out.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Partly clear orange-copper. The pleasant aromas of pine, citrus, alcohol, and MJ tantalize the nostrils. On the palate, Hercules offers big-time bitterness with resinous and full hops flavors, plus enough malt and alcohol to support, but not supplant, the hop presence. This one's a little better-integrated than some DIPAs that are just "going through the motions," if you will. Here's a round, smooth, bitter, flavorful, and satisfying DIPA if ever there was one. Drinks as easily as any other DIPA I've encountered, and then some.

Bravo Great Divide.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Orange in color; cloudy/opaque. Pours with a rich 2+ finger light tan head that receded slowly leaving a thick, uneven layer of foam on the surface of the beer. Tons of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Looks awesome! Perfect!

Smell: Grass, lots of citrus (orange, grapefruit) and mild hops. Appealing; made me want to take a drink.

Taste: Starts acidic and tangy; progresses on to a grassy, mild hoppy smooth middle; ends with a lemony bitter hoppy finish. Complex and delicious.

Feel: Full body; velvety feel; slight dry finish. Left me a little thirsty for water, but not too bad.

Overall: Awesome DIPA. May be the best I ever had; up there with Heady Topper - though probably not as good of a value. I could drink this over and over. Refreshing!

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Caramel colored with thick wihte head. Good lacing.

S: Brown sugar, with some piney hops. Underlying nuttiness and sweetness.

T: Carmely and malty up front. Fades to piney hops. Very nice, but not overpowering. Well balanced. Hops linger on long finish.

M: Heavy and slick with good carbonation

D: Very good. Hops aren't overpowering so it lets you enjoy the taste of the beer for a long time.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Very excellent beer. Poured from a 22oz beer bomber in from a Tampa bar. Deep amber, reddish color. Solid, taste with a slight hoppy taste from your typical IPA but also offered a full, malt body. I am unsure of what a "double" IPA actually means, but its a fuller body than a normal IPA for sure. This was one excellent beer. Cheers.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer pours an orange copper: Head is about2 fingers that falls quick. Nose is nice sweet grapefruit hops. This one has a very mellow flavor. The malts and hops dance together very well and intice me to drink more. For a double IPA, the hops are nicely subdued and rounded out well by the sweet malt. I like it a lot. The mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability on this one is the best I have found in a double. I think I will be getting a few more of these to keep around for a rainy day.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

I am sitting here sipping on this along with another bomber of Avery Eleven. I am comparing the two.

Hercules pours a dark reddish brown. The head is large, dense, diminishing but does leave a very solid lace.

Very spicy and enjoyable aroma. It's very spicy (cinnamon,salt), very citrusy (lemon, grapefruit, slightly sweet (cinnamon rolls and cherry pie). Still, it's very soft and mellow and begs you to take a sip.

Resinous start. Pine, floral and woody notes. Sharply acidic. Creamy and full mouthfeel. The finish is full of marijuana notes.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is overall a wonderful sipping beer. It has a strong taste but not nearly as strong as most other DIPA that I have had in the past. The smell is not a good indicator of the taste at all. The taste begins with a smooth citrus feel and ends with a strong grapefruit taste. This is one of my favorite DIPA. It is a little pricey but worth the money.

4.66/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Dark amber. Head stays for a long time. Thick Head!

S: Citrusy smell(if that makes sense) Sorta fruity.

T: Citrus Grapefruit Bitterness. Hops linger for a while.

F: Mouthfeel is pretty thick. Almost syrupy. It works well with the flavor!

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Oh Great Divide, how I wish you were on the east coast where I could easily find you... this DIPA rocked.

Wonderfully hoppy and citrusy with a pineyness to it that made it unique tasting and different. Bubbly. Very, very smooth and creamy. Amazingly crisp and refreshing, and the alcohol content is well-hidden. After a few sips you get a nice warming feeling going on. Warm and fuzzy.

Hopfiends- you will love this brew. I can't say enough about it- delicious, amazing, wonderful. Great DIPA.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz bottle from a 4pk bottled on May 2nd 2011. Poured into weizen glass. (I'm gonna be feeling good after this, just finished my Indiana Krunkles)

A: Transparent copper color with very minimal head, just a little sudsy ring of tan foam around the edges.

S: Strong sweet toffee and a little roasted malt aroma backed by pine and citrus hops. All in all it smells pretty balanced, and rather sweet.

T: Bitter hop flavor up front with a further blast of strong hops and strong sweet candy like malts. It's honestly amazing me how easily this beer goes down for how strong it is, and packed with sooo much malt and hops. I've always been a fan of the hop heavy DIPA's but this one does not disappoint albeit it's balanced qualities.

M/O: Medium-full bodied, light-medium carbonation, sweet and mouth watering. This beer is loaded up so much I feel like I could chew on it and it would ooze juices like an overripe mango. Ah, I am pleasantly surprised by this beer, it is almost nothing like it's sibling "Titan IPA" but equally as high quality for the style. Speaking of style, I'd say this falls close to something like DFH 90, but then defecates all over it, because it's that much better. (Thanks for the birthday 4pack bert!)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of sticky lacing all around after each sip.

Scent is very nice with a piney, grassy hop aroma and just a hint of sweet, bready malts.

Taste is outstanding a very well balanced beer. Sweet biscuity malts for just a second then the piney, citrus hops takes over in force, but the sweetness still mingles there along side. It finishes with a dry grapefruit that stays with me for a bit. Wow!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and creamy. This beer has just the right amount of carbination to compliment the flavor.

I give this beer a high mark for drinkability. I would come back to this again and again. This goes down easy, almost too easy. The abv is well hidden, and I could easily over indulge with this one.

Great Divide has yet to disapoint. I am impressed with all of their offerings. I need to try the Yeti on my next visit to the store. I would highly recomend this beer to all "hopheads".

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

I LOVE this. Bricks of beautiful herb in the aroma and flavor. It brings back memories of the ganja trade. Drizzle that bric-a-funk with malt syrup, and put it under a bell jar on a hot tin roof -- suck the condensation!!! This is like taking something as fresh as a crate of Hawaiian pineapples, 6 Mexican limes; puree and let sit in a china cap on a warm shelf for a coupla days. Watch it drip-drip into your cup. Spicee!!

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Hop bomb exploded in my house tonight. 22 ounce bomber poured a bright orange copper. Nice two finger head. Citrusy hop nose offing magic aromas. Super bitter. A hophead's dream. I'm glad I have been working out my palate this past year. Otherwise this would be too much. The piney hops really come through in the aftertaste. Nice lacing. I wanted this to be the best beer I have had in the past year. I may still have to defer to Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale. Double IPA's are enjoyable but may still be way too much. Who am I kidding, this is amazing!!! Bomber really settles in nicely on the palate after about a half a pint. The hops really hide the high ABV%. Great way to start the New Year.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a very nice copper color with some good head and decent lacing. It has a great scent, very hoppy with citrus and floral overtones. Absolutely great American IPA flavor, a great hop combo, a great bitter, hoppy taste, without being too much, with nice citrus undertones. A very smooth beer for being so high ABV. Nice job.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome head retention! A very will-built brew. Solid orange/red color with fantastic clarity. Head is tan and densely foamy. Great lacing too.

Apricots, dark red apples, woody, pine, resinous.

Holy bitterness, yet well done. Smooth and delicious bitterness that well rounded and has great lasting flavor. Lots of depth and consistently changing and melding flavors. Very light and easy drinking for a thick hearty dense IPA. Lots of great pine flavors without being a hop bomb. If anything is bad about the flavor, it's that it's just a bit too sugary...but, not overly so.

Very well thought out and nicely executed DIPA. Highly recommended!!! A must try for sure. Great work GDBC, keep em' coming!

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company