Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,838 | Reviews: 1,555
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a honey amber with a high frothy tan head.

Smelled of honey, molasses, wheat, bread dough and bubblegum with only a mild but obvious hop undertone.

The flavor is delightfully understated with a smooth caramel and light molasses malt whose sweetness fades into an intense orange and pine dryness that finishes with a slight caramel and a pleasant dryness.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light smooth carbonation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I've been craving for the last three months. A great IPA, a double none the less. The Mighty Herc is richly full of the aromas that make a great IPA, well, great. Very piny and grassy, and a bit lemony too.

When poured this produces a beautiful tight head, about two fingers thick into my pint glass. The body is ultra hazy and is orangish amber in color. The head sticks very well to the glass all the way through.

The taste of this brew is awesome. It is one of the most perfect IPAs I've had. Of course it's been a while, but damn this has the perfect balance of pine and sweet molasses at the same time. Very warming to the palate.

Like I've said, it's been a while since I've had an IPA let alone a double, but you've got to give this a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages!

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

So BA says I can't review the same beer even 3 yrs later. Pishshaw. Had it on tap at my favorite beer bar and I think that different years yeild different flavors. Marked that I had it in a bottle but in all truthfulness I had it on tap... again
A- warm amber in color. light head with minimal lacing

S - grapefruit/ citrus hops very nice

T - soapy hops in the beginning, nice hoppy bitter bite with a dryness in the finish

M- right where it should be. nicely carbonated, Heavy enough on the tongue without being thick

D - didn't know the abv when I tried it and totally didn't detect the 10% abv. WAY drinkable... in fact I had a 2nd. no residuel sweetness from the abv level. dangerously good

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Great color with a light haze. Deep amber ice tea. Fine white head has great staying power, but relatively low lace.

S - Apricot, honey, light booze, marzipan, warm woody hops.

T - Wow. Bright wood, warm mulled cider, bourbon, vanilla, bitter herbs. Stellar integration.

M - Super smooth with a full body.

O - An awesome DIPA, well worth the hype.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Hercules Double IPA is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for the gods"

I can't remember a better looking, better smelling IPA then Hercules.

Pours a beautiful dark amber orange with a nice thick and creamy picture perfect two finger head with tremendous lacing.

The aroma is amazing. Caramel, toffee, roasted almonds. Roasted nuts are in the forefront.

The flavor is just like the smell except even nuttier. This is a great change of pace from the other Double IPA's i've had. This is definitely unique and in a league of its own.

Hops, Malts, sweetness, bitterness. This beer has it all. My first beer from Great divide, but most definitely not my last.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: golden amber reddish hues,

smell: loaded and more loaded hops, very plesant for a hop head

taste: like hops of course, this beer is loaded with it. very solid double with heavy grapefruit flavor

mouthfeel: thin not thick. good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth. and goes great with spicy snacks or meals.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, Bottling date of the first week of January (of what year I'm not sure, I think 2008), poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Aooearance: Pours a cloudy burnt orange-amber color, tons of sediment floating in there. The head formed 1 finger thick and faded into a thin layer.

Aroma: Piney and citrus hops with some caramel and alcohol in the background.

Taste: Pine and citrus hops (grapefruit) burst onto your tastebuds. There's some sweet caramel in the middle (more as it warms). The finish is almost all hops, very bitter, with a slight alcohol warming at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, creamy. The carbonation balanced well.

Overall: Holy hell that's good. I love a hop-bomb as much as anyone, but it's the sweet caramel malts in the middle that set this one apart. Just make sure to let it warm up out of the fridge for a little bit. Highly recommended to imperial/double IPA fans.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy fiery orangish amber color with a nice off-white head with some good lacing.

Aroma is sweet bready and carmely malt along with some spicy citrus and piney hops. There is also some alcohol present in the nose as the beer warms.

This is very well balanced for a double IPA. While the hops are definitely well represented for all hopheads the malt has a strong showing as well. There are notes of toffee, caramel, sweet bread, grapefruit and some pine. The more the beer warms, the more the hops come out.

Mouthfeel is full and pleasantly carbonated; pretty smooth and almost creamy.

Hard to believe there is 9% ABV here, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. A great Double IPA.

'From my notes of Jan 9, 2007

It poured a reddish brown with a small head of foam that didn't last too long but had some good lacing.

The smell had citrusy hops and a good amount of sweet malts and came across as very balanced..which I loved.

The taste was of extreme hops and extreme malt sweetness which made for extreme balance. Good lord, this is fantastic.

Bottom line, this is a world class beer to my palate. Wonderful stuff!

A: Dk. Amber/Orange, modest, but dense tan head
S: Sweet, toasty malt over strong piney hop
T: Intensely bitter piney, floral, perfume-y hop, barely balanced by light malt sweetness and graininess as well as thickness and body from aggressive carbonation.
M: Surprisingly thick, given the color and taste.
A: Piney hop bitter, slightly astringent, and clean.

Overall: Here's a beer that lives up to its double IPA promises proudly displayed on its label. Hop profile kicks off in a burst of pine with each sip, introduces other, well-layered notes of citrus, perfume, and floral, but comes back to the pine in the end. Manages to showcase the intense hops while still maintaining its own version of balance. It's 10.0% ABV is incredibly well-masked, so proceed at your own risk, and the advertised 85 IBUs seem accurate, and possibly even a bit modest.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber pours hazy glowing amber-orange color with a thick creamy off-white head that leaves a nice lace in my glass. Sharp hoppy aroma of grapefruit and pine, resinous sticky pine and grapefruit flavors , has a full thick, sticky and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that finishes with a lingering bitterness, has a good malt balance, this really reminds me of Three Floyd's Dreadnaught.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

Pour: a dark golden copper with a nice head that sticks to the glass all the way down
Smell: Hops, hops and more hops along with a faint citrus smell.
Taste: A nice malty, pine and hops taste. Smooth with a bitter hop finish
A great Double IPA which I highly recommend. The 9.1% ABV can be deceiving.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

The first pour was largely clear, dark bronze in hue with an amber-peachy influence. I really like how the liquid looks! It is darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was excellent, the foam sat on top of the liquid like concrete, and it took along while before it faded to a tight cap, which lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was awesome; it looked like lightly tattered wallpaper. The second pour had a bit more haze to the liquid; maybe I am drunk at this point. Whatever the case, this beer looks fantastic. I know that much. The bottom line is simple; this beer, for the style, cannot look any better.

The nose is thunderous with hops. There is no question that this beer is a DIPA. I am impressed that the nose is so rich with hops. Sticky. Pungent. Resiny. Piney. Sprucey. Citrusy… grapefruit flesh, rinds, orange peel, and lemon. Spicy. The alcohol is noticeable; the heat is warming my face and I haven’t even taken a sip. The malt is caramely and flirty but clearly secondary to the hops, and even the alcohol. Not matter, I am happy I can smell any malt behind the hop explosion. With every sniff I am rewarded with a glorious bouquet. It is literally making my mouth water. Can you get any more inviting then that? I wish the potency was louder but the aroma is so compact it almost makes up for it. Dangerously alluring.

The palate is wonderful, simply wonderful. I love the massive bitterness. My tongue is nothing more then a punching bag. I love it. The alcohol burns. Hot nasty heat… it stings the tongue and scorches my throat on the swallow. I love it. The caramel malt is so playful. I am surprised I can even taste it. This impresses me greatly. This beer is not heavy handed even though it is punching my palate relentlessly. There is tremendous grace; it is like Muhammad Ali in his prime. This beer floats like a butterfly and stings like a swarm of pissed-off Africanized killer bees… on steroids. Realistically, could this beer taste any better? I mean for a DIPA it has everything. There is plenty of bitterness, raw citrus bite upfront, orange and grapefruit zest in the middle, and it turns fleshy and juicy at the finish. Plus there are hints of berry and tropical fruit. Candy sugar. Cinnamon. Toffee. Naked alcohol… maybe there are some pine needles soaking in there. Wood. Mint. Delicious. Amazing. I like to compare beers in the same style. I am not with this one. It is great. It is different then Dreadnaught. It is different then Devil Dancer. It is different then Ruination. Hercules kicks ass. Sometimes it can be as simple as that… awesome. The alcohol is hitting my brain, right about half way through the bottle. It is numbing. From start to finish, this is lovely, lovely stuff.

Medium in body, maybe a tickle bigger… the mouthfeel is workable but it doesn’t standout. It is not too thin and I guess that is the most important thing. It is big enough to support this beer. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is solid.

Amazing stuff and perfectly drinkable… I want lots of cheese and then a nap. This is a hop bomb and a sedative. Hell, give me a turkey sandwich and I’m in a coma for a week. What more can I ask for? I am very impressed with this DIPA. It is bitter and aggressive but rich and complex. I love it. I purchased one bomber in Boulder, CO. This is a beer that I will have to buy many of, the next time I can. I would love for a beer like this to be available commercially in Nebraska. Maybe someday. Highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

I cant believe I have never had this baby before. served in a British Imperial Pint mug from a "bomber". Very very lovelly, attractive beer to look at, dark burnt orange in colur ,very attractive innthe sunlight. Attractive light tan head. Perfect presentation. A really gorgeous fresh "piney" aroma with hints of lemon grass ans pepper. Great bustin’ with fruitiness flavours ..piney, lemon, floral,creamy toffee and caramel malts.I also get some faint hints of liquorice and some traditional marmalade ( zesty) flavours. Very very good palate to this beer for something so packed with flavour, some of them conflicting, the mouthfeel is almost silky smooth. A great brewer has managed to meld these clashing profiles into cream like smoothness in the finish..excellent. Overall a terrific DIPA the best I have had of this genre. One to visit again and again and again.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance - Orangish amber, and quite clear. Beautiful creamy off white - and long-lasting to boot. Good lacing.

Smell - Floral hops galore, with malt as background. I also pick up pungent hop smell - it sort of forms the base for the whole aroma experience.

Taste - I happen to enjoy hop overkill, and this beer fits the ticket perfectly. I have a hard time concentrating on the malt, but some sweet flavors develop as the beer warms. The hops are so rough that a small burn develops at the back of teh throat. Stylistically, this beer is almost perfect.

Mouthfeel - Almost resiny. This is super thick beer. Offer a macro brew drinker a sip of this for a serious checkle.

Drinkability - How drinkable is a beer that gives you instant cotton mouth? It can be pretty darn drinkable, if it's Hercules. It will probably improve if aged for a while.

Comments - Not for the faint of heart. Drink this if you ever need to restore your faith in anything.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

A: A generous warm orange slightly hazy pour with a large compact tan head that takes quite some time to dissipate, nice lacings.

S: Tropical and citric fruits from the floral hops; pineapple, grapefruit and lemon. Nice balanced sweetness in the rich malt.

T: Sweet molasses-like malts, some caramell balances the awsome hops, both bitter as well as floral. Lots of fruits.

M: Body is syrupy and full, almost heavy. Carbonation is really low. Aftertaste lingers with sweet bitterness. Warmth from the high ABV.

O: Very complex and well balanced.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 650mL bottle.

This beer pours an orange with a frothy white head that holds beautifully and laces well. The smell is a fantastic mixture of citrusy hops and some sweet maltiness. Just a great aroma. The taste is also a major hop bomb. Again a fanastic hop flavor exhibiting some fantastic citrus (grapefruit) character but balanced out nicely with some good maltiness. There is a good thickeness to this beer and a nice carbonation. Overall highly drinkable, I just love a good DIPA.

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a light amber color. Surprisingly, there isn't much of a head, and very little lacing (although this could be my fault). The smell is incredible, all pine and apricots. Tastes very bitter, but it's not overwhelming at all (even at 85 IBUs), with piney, apricoty hops dominating, although there may be a little citrus there. I allowed myself to savor this one, and it became even better as it warmed.

Fabulous beer here, definitely recommended. I'm glad I got my hands on a bottle of this, which is truly the nectar of the Gods.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Was able to smell this beer right away when I opened it, and in a good way. Even from a distance the hop scents are abundant. Lots of citric oily ho scents and some dark fruits. Some pines scent's sting the back of the nostrils.

Raisins and other dark fruits up front. Some slightly spices hops in the middle. Not too much lingers other than some fruit taste and a slight alcohol presence.

All I can say is wow! I feel like this is how dipa's should taste. I thought 90 minute was fantastic but this somehow goes far beyond it. Super balanced, thick yet smooth, decent carbonation, and lots of hop presence. I love it! A very dangerous brew

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on-tap at The Public House Brookline.

Deep coppery coloration and lots of fine carbonation crawling up the sides of the glass. Thick, dense off-white head that was present throughout, start to finish.
Nose just reeked of hops aromas; big-time pine sap and needles, grapefruit and tangerine rinds. Malt base is evident thanks to the light caramel and faintly earthy notes.
Taste had a solid sweetly malty platform that stood up well to the incoming onslaught of citrus and pine flavors. Hercules seems to pack in just about every kind of flavor there is in terms of describing hops. Sappy, resinous spruce, a torrent of juicy grapefruit pith; you name it, it's there. Let's not forget the alcohol, just barely registering against the 600lb gorilla hops load. It's there, just behind the veil.
Well-carbonated, Hercules has a full, lush and velvety feel.
Even wieghing in at 9.1%ABV, Hercules is dangerously drinkable, to the point where coordination may be compromised. Hercules is a stand-out double IPA. One of the best there is and worth seeking out.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Partly clear orange-copper. The pleasant aromas of pine, citrus, alcohol, and MJ tantalize the nostrils. On the palate, Hercules offers big-time bitterness with resinous and full hops flavors, plus enough malt and alcohol to support, but not supplant, the hop presence. This one's a little better-integrated than some DIPAs that are just "going through the motions," if you will. Here's a round, smooth, bitter, flavorful, and satisfying DIPA if ever there was one. Drinks as easily as any other DIPA I've encountered, and then some.

Bravo Great Divide.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Caramel colored with thick wihte head. Good lacing.

S: Brown sugar, with some piney hops. Underlying nuttiness and sweetness.

T: Carmely and malty up front. Fades to piney hops. Very nice, but not overpowering. Well balanced. Hops linger on long finish.

M: Heavy and slick with good carbonation

D: Very good. Hops aren't overpowering so it lets you enjoy the taste of the beer for a long time.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Very excellent beer. Poured from a 22oz beer bomber in from a Tampa bar. Deep amber, reddish color. Solid, taste with a slight hoppy taste from your typical IPA but also offered a full, malt body. I am unsure of what a "double" IPA actually means, but its a fuller body than a normal IPA for sure. This was one excellent beer. Cheers.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours an orange copper: Head is about2 fingers that falls quick. Nose is nice sweet grapefruit hops. This one has a very mellow flavor. The malts and hops dance together very well and intice me to drink more. For a double IPA, the hops are nicely subdued and rounded out well by the sweet malt. I like it a lot. The mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability on this one is the best I have found in a double. I think I will be getting a few more of these to keep around for a rainy day.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company